Unofficial Portkey Archive

Roses in December by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Roses in December

Solomon Aegis

Chapter 4

The Last Chance

Harry and Hermione continued with their trips down Harry's memory lane until the day an owl arrived tapping at the window to be let in. The bird was large and white and the sight of her seemed to cause Harry some distress. Hermione was surprised at his reaction, for she was very like Harry's own Hedwig, who of course, was still very much alive in Harry's memories to date; they had yet to deal with the darkest part of Harry's history. Unaware of Harry's loss, she chatted away about the bird and how nice it would be to have an animal like this and how lucky he was to have one. Harry smiled and hid his sadness then as he retrieved the note the owl was carrying, which was as he expected from Professor Cervelet telling of his impending visit. Musing on the fate of his own dear Hedwig, he suddenly remembered Crookshanks and wondered if the presence of Hermione's cat would help her in any way.

"Hang onto that owl for a moment," he told Hermione, who was walking back to the window with it perched on her arm. Harry scribbled a hasty note on a small piece of parchment and tied it to the owl's leg. "Could you take this to the Weasley family at the Burrow please?" he asked the owl politely. It bobbed down giving funny little bow in return, then leapt from Hermione's arm and sailed out of the window.

Harry's note had said 'No change as yet, still trying. Could you please send us Crookshanks if he is with you?' And by that evening, the result of that note was lying curled up at the foot of Hermione's bed acting as if he had always been there. Hermione was delighted, not that she had any real recollection of the cat but he had appeared several times in Harry's memories and was a little put out when she realised Harry had neglected to tell her that Crookshanks was hers.

The following morning Hermione was sitting on the end of her bed, the cat cradled in her arms, and looked the happiest Harry had seen for a long time; the sight almost broke his heart. He wondered, even with all the promises he had made, how long he could stand this torment. The girl he loved so close and yet so far out of reach; he could cope when she was involved with Ron and for the sake of the both of them had put it out of his mind but now it was so very hard. He looked up at the old clock on the bedroom wall, nearly ten o'clock, the professor would be here soon and as before, Hermione would have to be asleep. Harry fingered his wand nervously then quietly so she would not be afraid he whispered 'Endormir' and she flopped back without a sound, fast asleep. Crookshanks glared at Harry and hissed at him.

"Sorry," said Harry as the cat moved up onto Hermione's chest and lay down ready to protect his mistress from all comers celebrity wizards or not.

There was a knock on the main study door. "Open," said Harry and there was Professor Cervelet standing in the opening. "Professor," Harry greeted the wizard.

"Harry, good to see you," was the professor's joyful response, "'Ow goes it?"

"Oh, well I suppose," replied Harry, "Hermione has three years worth of memories, unfortunately all mine and none of hers."

Professor Cervelet looked at Harry, the lad looked tired out, his eyes had dark circles under them, and he could see that the strain was beginning to tell. Well at least he had some news for the boy and a spell or two to try.

"I have seen this Larrick Cade, this Death Eater, and a poor specimen he is." Cervelet sounded disgusted. "Totally untrained, gathered his magic skills, if they can be called skills, from others as bad as he was. The wand he used was his main strength it is made of Blackthorn with a Salamander tail as its core, most unusual, unfortunately rather powerful." The professor reached into his pocket and retrieved a wand about ten inches long Harry recognised it as the one he had blasted from Cade's hand. "So Harry we have the wand that cast the spell," then the professor smiled and tapped the side of his head, "and up here I have the thought that caused the spell to be cast."

Harry stared in disbelief. "How did you manage that?" he asked, not sure he really wanted to know.

"Being a Legilimens is not the only way to take someone's thoughts Harry, especially if the donor is co-operative and Larrick Cade would do anything to make his stay in Azkaban shorter." Cervelet replied, "He was most co-operative."

"So what do we gain from having all these professor?"

"In themselves, simply the ability to recreate the spell," stated Cervelet, "but that is not all we have. For I have discovered what protected Mademoiselle Granger from the full effects of the spell." Harry gave him a puzzled look. "You remember I said there was a hint of the magic that caused it," Harry thought, and then nodded as the memory returned. "That magic came from you."

Harry shook his head in denial. "I told you I wasn't there, there is no way I could have protected Hermione how ever much I would have wanted to," he said emphatically.

Professor Cervelet lowered himself into a chair and motioned for Harry to do the same. "There is no question but that this is so," the professor continued. "My mind can analyse the magical signature of a spell, or in this case the protection of Mademoiselle Granger's memories. I have compared it with the magical residue in your school records," Harry gave Cervelet a questioning look. "You did not know? The school stores some of your first spells, keeps them with your exam results, house point gains and losses that sort of thing. Very useful for me, if not for anyone else," he revealed. "The signatures are the same Harry; you did it, but how? Do you know?"

Harry thought back to that day, he remembered seeing Hermione talking to Ron as he passed them on his way to finish his task of replacing the Elder Wand in Dumbledore's tomb. He had been gone for only a few minutes when he felt a strong compulsion to return to the castle, the wand hidden in his pocket suddenly became very warm, it was trying to tell him something. Harry's hand had closed around the Elder Wand, 'RUN' he was told in no uncertain terms. Harry ran; he didn't know where he was running to and then events had happened so fast that Harry had forgotten about them until now. He had rounded a corner into a small side passage, 'PROTECT' the wand had almost screamed at him and Harry had acted purely on instinct. He had used no recognisable spell just the force of his will backed up by the power of the Elder Wand; he heard a shriek and the sound of 'Obliviate' resound in his ears. Then he was there, Hermione lay at his feet and he responded to Larrick Cade's attempt to attack him. Fortunately, the wand Harry pulled from his robes was his own, had it been the Elder Wand all that would have remained of Cade could have been put in a bucket.

The vision receded and Harry stared at the Professor, "Yes, I remember. It was my wand, not this one," he said laying his holly wand on the table, "my other one."

"I do not understand Harry, you have two wands?" Cervelet asked.

"Yes, this one and the wand I won from Voldemort." Harry waited for the reaction and he wasn't disappointed. Despite the fact that the professor knew very well that the man was dead his name still sent a shiver of fear through the older wizard.

"I see ...this wand, it must be very powerful?"

"So I understand," said Harry, "at any rate it called me to Hermione and told me to protect her. The details as to how I did it, I haven't the foggiest."

There was an expression of confusion on Cervelet's face, "What has fog got to do with this Harry?"

Harry hid a small smile, "Sorry nothing, I mean I have no idea of the details."

"Ah! Well that probably does not matter but if this wand is as powerful as you say then I would suggest we use it when we try to cure the Mademoiselle it might be the key to breaking the spell allowing her memories to return."

Harry was not sure what to do, the fewer people who knew exactly what the wand he had captured from Voldemort was the better, so he turned to the one man who he trusted above all others, and he looked up at Dumbledore's portrait.

For weeks now the portraits had remained silent, some of them empty, if their occupants had somewhere else to go, but Dumbledore had always been there watching, smiling in encouragement, his bright blue eyes twinkling merrily behind his half-moon glasses. The headmaster said nothing now but there was the tiniest nod; it was all the encouragement that Harry needed. Harry stood and walked over to Dumbledore's portrait and gently swung it to one side so as not to disturb the occupant of the frame too much. Stuck to the wall behind the portrait, with two bands of spell-o-tape was the Elder Wand. Harry reached up, pulled the wand down and felt the tingle in his fingertips as the wand recognised its owner; he turned to face Cervelet again. As the professor's eyes fell on the wand they took on the same expression of longing Harry had recognised in Ron and Hermione when they had first seen it.

"Professor!" Harry said sharply and the wizard shook his head as if to dispel the power of attraction the elder wand appeared to radiate.

"I apologise Harry but to see a wand that has done so much evil, that ...you know who wielded with such ruthlessness. It takes the breath away." His body shuddered as he regained his self-control. "We need Mademoiselle Granger but not fully awake, just so that she can sit ...err here," Cervelet pulled the headmasters chair out from behind the desk.

Harry went into the bedroom Hermione was asleep on the bed exactly as he had left her. Crookshanks had curled up on the pillow at the top of the bed but he still eyed Harry as he approached. Harry looked down at the sleeping girl as before she was at peace and Harry's heart went out to her. Mindful of the professors scathing remarks on his last visit, Harry bent over and gently kissed Hermione on the cheek; Crookshanks gave a little hiss of disproval and Harry poked his tongue out at him. Hermione stirred and mumbled her words slurred with sleep, "That was nice Harry, how about another one."

Harry lifted her to her feet and helped the drowsy girl into the next room, he eased her into the chair the professor had placed in the centre of the room and disentangled Hermione's hands, which had found their way around his neck. She lolled alarmingly on the seat but fortunately remained sitting up; Harry stood back and allowed the colour that had risen to his face return to normal. He found the professor was looking at the pair of them with the suggestion of a knowing smile on his face.

"Now that we are all ready, we can begin," said Cervelet. "From what you told me Cade didn't have a chance to cast any other spells, correct?"

"Yes that's right, he was going to try but I beat him to it," replied Harry.

"And the Aurors tell me the wand has remained under lock and key since then, so the spell used to obliviate your friend was its last. Bon!" The professor laid Larrick Cade's wand on the desk and then placed his own so that the tips of the two wands were touching. "We will use prior incantato to release the wands last spell, Harry," he said explaining the process he had in mind. "I will direct the shadow obliviation spell at Mademoiselle Granger, using the thought I retrieved from Cade, you understand so far?"

"Err... yes, I think so," said Harry uncertainly.

"Ok, now once she is enveloped in the spell you will use your... err... other wand," The professor said pointing nervously at Voldemort's old wand.

This was going to be the bit that Harry wasn't going to like ...he just knew it. Sure, the Elder wand had performed well for him in the one instance he'd used it but that was only to repair his own wand. A precious item but replaceable, Hermione was irreplaceable and far more precious. His doubts over the advisability of using the Elder wand must have shown in his face for Cervelet grabbed his arm in a powerful grip.

"There must be no indecision if we are to succeed Harry," urged the professor. "You must touch the wand to her temple and say Reversalum, and you must believe that it will work."

"Just that," it seemed far too simple, "just Reversalum?"

"Harry you have maybe the most powerful wand in the whole world in your hand," the little sound of longing was there again. "If you ask it to it will do the impossible, but you must believe it can or you will fail."

Harry knew that failure was not an option; he had to try. "Ok professor, let's get on with it. Do it now."

Professor Cervelet reached out and gripped his own wand "Prior Incantato!" he roared. The sickly yellow cloud that had wiped Hermione's mind erupted once again from Larrick Cade's wand. Not as substantial as the last time this shadow or ghost of the spell expanded to the size of a Quaffle. Cervelet released his wand and grasped Cade's, lifting it from the table. His eyes glazed as he concentrated on the thought that Cade had used to release the spell at Hermione and the roiling cloud followed the movement of the wand upwards and ever closer to Hermione's head. Harry watched with some trepidation as the girl, he privately admitted he could not live without, became enveloped in the spell.

Harry believed the wand would do as he asked, had he not done the impossible with it once before, but what did he want the wand to do. Return Hermione's memory, of that he was certain, but with them all in place would she not go running back to Ron. He did not want to lose her that was his dilemma. He wanted to explain how he felt, he wanted to finish his story, so that she could see him as he really was and understand truly, what she meant to him. But that would not be fair, for she had already chosen Ron and who was he to stand between them but... but...

With these chaotic thoughts pounding through his brain, unable to reach a satisfactory answer to his problem, Harry brought the Elder Wand to rest against Hermione's right temple and he shouted, "Reversalum!"

There was a bright flash and a loud CRACK! Harry momentarily shut his eyes against the bright light and when he opened them again, he could see that the Blackthorn wand had snapped in two and the parts had burst into flame. Cervelet hastily dropped the burning fragment of the wand that was still in his hand, where it joined its other half on the floor; the flames leapt up then, in an instant, sputtered and died leaving only an oily mark on the stones. Harry quickly turned to Hermione, she was sitting as before, slightly slumped forward and the only sign on her of the magic that had just occurred was a tiny black smudge where the tip of the Elder Wand had touched her skin.

"How do we know if it has worked?" Harry asked, looking worriedly at Hermione who was showing no signs of waking up.

"Only when she awakens will we know if the spell has worked and it would be as well if I was not here." The professor picked up his own wand and cast one last look at the Elder Wand Harry was still holding. "That wand has a powerful influence on wizard kind Harry, I feel it calling to me and if I was less of a wizard I know I would succumb. In your hands it is a great force for good, but in another's the evil it could wreak is incalculable, you must break its power for all our sakes."

The respect Harry had for this strange man increased as he watched him fight the attraction of the Elder wand and win. "Professor Dumbledore and I had come to the same conclusion a while ago," said Harry. "Don't worry professor I will make sure it causes no more trouble."

"C'est bien," Cervelet whispered the words. "As for Mademoiselle Granger, I have done all I can, it is now up to you and to her, I wish you bonne chance." He held out his hand and Harry took it. "Au revior Harry, err... goodbye."

The study door closed softly behind the departing professor and Harry was left alone with Hermione once more. He sighed; he was worried that his casting of the Reversalum spell was not focused enough but there was only one way to find out. Harry touched his own wand to the back of Hermione's hand and was about to wake her when on an impulse he reached out and lifted her chin, he leaned forward and very gently kissed her on the lips. He jumped back as she yawned and stretched her arms; she opened her eyes and smiled at him.

"Hi Harry," she said through another yawn, "Oooh! I really had a good sleep, did I miss anything?"

"Can't you remember?"

"Err... no I was asleep."

"I mean can't you remember anything more?"

"More than what?" there was silence for a moment and then the penny dropped. "You mean can I remember anything 'more', like from before."

"Yes!"

"No, sorry Harry nothing new, should there be?"

Harry hid his disappointment; he must have mucked up the spell after all. "No I suppose not, it was just a thought."

"So what are we going to do today?" Hermione asked blissfully unaware that the last chance for her memories to return had passed her by.

"Oh I thought a nice walk out by the lake," suggested Harry, "and there are a few things I must organise. Have you still got some reading to catch up with?" he asked.

"Yes loads, I'm still working my way through Hogwarts a History, fascinating stuff you know."

"Yes," said Harry sadly, "I know."

They spent the rest of the morning in a companionable wander around the lake. The summer sunshine warmed the air and the lightest of breezes ruffled the water splitting the reflected sunbeams into thousands of points of light. The surface of the lake was alive with the fairy like sparkles that danced to an unheard tune.

Harry left Hermione curled up on a chair by one of the great windows that looked out over the lawns her head buried in her book. He descended two floors and walked to the other end of the castle to find himself at the main door to the hospital ward. Madam Pomfrey was in her office seated behind her desk.

"Harry! I saw Simon before he left this morning how did it go?"

"I'm sorry Madam Pomfrey," replied Harry, "but I don't think the spell worked, Hermione seems to be no different, her memories haven't returned."

"Oh Harry you have nothing to apologise about," she stood, moved around the desk to place a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "You have done far more than many friends would have these last couple of months, I think you can rightly say you have done your duty. I will see that Hermione is given the best care we can arrange."

An image flashed into Harry's mind, Hermione as he had last seen her, in that chair with her book the sun shining through the window surrounding her with a golden glow of light. "I don't think you understand," he told the nurse, "I haven't done all this out of a sense of duty, I love her Madam Pomfrey, something I have never been able to tell her, that's why I stayed and I'm not about to abandon her now."

"But Harry, this treatment was the only hope of a quick cure; it may take years to retrain her using the old methods."

"Then I will spend those years helping her," he said defiantly, "But I think you are underestimating Hermione, her mind is as quick and sharp as it ever was, and only seven years ago she knew nothing of magic. Seven years is not so long a time and I will tell her about all the rest. She will be as nearly the old Hermione as I can make her."

"I see and Ron Weasley agrees with this plan?"

"Ron? Oh Ron, I must admit I hadn't thought...." Harry lapsed into silence.

"Why are you doing this to yourself Harry, you admit that you love the girl and yet you want to turn her back into the one who was in love with your best friend. Are you punishing yourself or is it that you hope, now that Voldemort is no longer a threat, she may see you in a different light?"

Harry looked at the nurse and, for the first time since the battle, he felt the tears start up in his eyes. He had bottled his emotions, initially for everyone's sake but lately for Hermione and he could hold them no longer; he threw himself down in a chair and sobbed. The mediwitch returned to her desk and tapped her wand on the side of a small mirror lying on it.

"Minerva, I need you." Se said to the image that appeared in its glassy surface. "I have Harry down here, I'm afraid the news is not good."

In the few minutes it took Professor McGonagall to get to the hospital ward Harry had regained some self control and was sipping on a restorative that Madam Pomfrey had whipped up for him.

"I am sorry Harry," the familiar Scots burr was a comforting sound to Harry's ears, "but I did try to warn you that the chances of success were very slim." Madam Pomfrey tried to interrupt to refute this assertion but Professor McGonagall held up her hand to stop her. "Come now Poppy, you know full well that no one has managed a complete cure and Cervelet's theory has never been tested, until now. It's a great shame but there it is; I will inform St.Mungo's they may be able to take Hermione this afternoon."

Harry jumped to his feet. "Whoa, hang on, Hermione is not going to St.Mungo's" he shouted. "I am going to continue what I started, I will tell her as much of her story as I can and only when I have finished will I let anyone else take over and maybe not even then." By the end of this outburst, the two witches were regarding him with some astonishment and Harry was close to letting his emotions get the better of him again. He sat back down, breathed deeply and slowly to let his mind settle, to give him time to think. "But I can't do it here any more, I... we, need to get away to somewhere where we can have the freedom to go out and move around without the fear of falling over another witch or wizard." Aware that, with his initial tirade, he might have overstepped the mark a bit, he gave Professor McGonagall a pleading look. "I would like to take the pensive with me though, if you didn't mind?" he asked contritely.

McGonagall smiled sadly and sighed, "Of course Harry, I think I know just the place. Give me a day or two." Harry nodded thankfully. "But Harry," the old witch looked down at him with a serious frown, "don't waste your life in an impossible quest."

"Without Hermione my life wouldn't be worth much Professor," Harry said defiantly, "and who knows, I seem to be reasonably good at impossible quests, maybe we'll get lucky."

* * *