Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love, Hermione by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love, Hermione

lilymione1203

A/N: This chapter is MUCH longer and in the same day! Look at that! Haha. Haven't gotten many reviews, but I'm not discouraged. I'm really liking where this is going- I hope you enjoy : )

September 8, 1991

Dear Harry,

Hi! You may not remember me, but we met on the train- The Hogwarts Express, to be exact. I didn't know if you frequently traveled by way of steam engine, so I thought I would clarify, just in case. I mean, I figured you hadn't ridden on a train since the Hogwarts Express, (obviously, where would you be going?) but I don't like to leave anything to chance.

Anyway, my name's Hermione Granger- I'm in your house and we actually have all the same classes (I wasn't sure if you noticed). I, myself, have noticed that you and your friend- Weatherby, is it? The tall, red-haired boy that is always hovering around, are always late to class- Transfiguration, in particular. I was wondering if you would like me to accompany you, because I have already learned the basic pathways around the castle.

You see, during the evenings I have been practicing the Gryffindor first year route- I have even etched out a fairly dependable map. I know Professor McGonagall has been giving you a hard time, and I thought I could be of service. It's hard being a first year, and I can see where it would be on you especially, considering your remarkable background. At any rate, I hope to hear from you!

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

Laying the wrinkled letter down beside her, Hermione smiled, the tiniest of teardrops rolling down her cheek. She remembered all too well her first week at Hogwarts, and how much she shook that warm September night each time her quill dipped for more ink.

She was so nervous, in fact, that the letter never got delivered- nor did the rest that remained in the old, tattered box. Hermione recalled in electrifying detail the eve of September 8: creeping to the owlery on the brink of curfew, feeling the odd sensation of robes billow softly around her, the roughness of the parchment against the palm of her tiny hand, the eerie feeling that she was being watched.

She also remembered being surrounded by shuffling feathers and curious hoots, echoing across the grounds and into the Forbidden Forest. The stars were bright, but the moon was nowhere to be seen, and a chill in the air cut through her body like a knife. Her eyes darted around in a panic, and she remembered second guessing herself:

What if he rejects me? What if he doesn't want my help? I'm just a nobody, he won't want me showing him around the castle. I've only been here a week, what more do I know about this place than he does? He and Weatherby will just laugh at my letter. I can't bear anyone else making fun of me.

Bringing her eyes back into focus, Hermione shook her head slightly as the image of an 11-year-old girl with bushy brown hair slowly faded from view, retreating back to the castle with robes clutched tight, letter in hand.

She took a deep breath and reached back inside the box, lifting a bundle of letters with her primitive handwriting scribbled on the front. Although not what it is today, compared with "Weatherby's," her childhood handwriting was considered calligraphy.

One by one, Hermione opened each letter, reading the thoughts of her past as she remembered the dread and anguish of delivering every envelope. Failing had always been her biggest fear, and rejection from another human being was one of its scariest forms. Rather than discarding the personal letters that accumulated over the years, she had decided to keep them; maybe one day, she thought, they would finally reach their recipient.

September 12, 1991

Dear Harry,

I think you left a quill behind in potions today- you were in quite a hurry to get out of there. Professor Snape does seem a bit, mean, doesn't he? I'm sure it's just a scare tactic he uses to make sure the students study hard and pay attention. I don't think he has some sort of personal vendetta against you. Honestly, what are the odds of that? After all, potions is a very dangerous subject, and if you're not paying utmost attention you could get seriously injured, or killed!

Anyway, I have your quill if you need it; I know you probably think it's silly that I'm putting it in a letter of all things! But, I can't seem to get the chance to speak to you in private. Or just in person, not really "in private"- I just mean face to face. We could meet in the common room sometime and I could give it to you, or perhaps after class? Anytime is fine with me. Good luck with flying lessons, I'm a nervous wreck. You'll probably be brilliant at it.

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 15, 1991

Dear Harry,

Please, I beg of you, don't go through with the duel tonight. Malfoy is such a git, you don't have anything to prove to anyone. If people can't see you for who you really are, not some novelty to be gawked at in the corridors, but a genuinely kind and normal human being (as far as wizards go) then they aren't worth it. Please don't do this, Harry. If you're so worried about what others think, what do you suppose they'll say when they hear about all the trouble you've gotten into? I'm not trying to be bossy, I'm just concerned about your well being. Even though we've only spoken a handful of times, I do consider you a friend. I care about you, Harry.

By the way, even though it was extremely dangerous and you shouldn't have done it and it was incredibly childish and stupid, I thought you were amazing on that broomstick. You're going to be quite the Quidditch star someday.

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 16, 1991

Dear Harry,

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Why did you go through with that duel? Things could have turned out so much worse, you should be thankful we escaped unscathed. I bet Malfoy is having the time of his life right now- is that what you wanted?

I'm sorry for being so harsh with you, I just didn't want you to get hurt. Or Ron, I guess. Although I think a detention may have done him some good. I shouldn't have ended the night in a huff, and I hope you forgive me. I know snapping at you only made matters worse, and I do apologize. I wonder what that three-headed dog is guarding…

In any case, I hope we can move past all this and remain friends. Perhaps we can discuss theories about the dog?

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 19, 1991

Dear Harry,

I know you haven't spoken to me since "the duel," and I am very, very sorry for the way things turned out, but I was wondering if you would like to join me in the common room for a bit of cake?

You see, today is my twelfth birthday, and it's not that I expected anyone to necessarily wish me a happy birthday, after all we've only been here less than three weeks, I hardly know anyone! But it's sort of lonely being away from my parents and all, and my dorm-mates (Parvati and Lavender) don't seem to notice me much. My mum sent me some cake (first parcel by owl, can you believe it?) and it's far too much for one person, so I thought I would share. Ron can come if it's absolutely necessary, but if he's busy that's quite alright.

I've come up with some trapdoor theories if you're interested, each one more improbable than the last! Oh, and don't worry about getting me a present (not that you were), this is strictly two friends sharing birthday cake, which just happens to be on my birthday. I know yours is July 31- I hope you don't think it's terribly creepy that I know this; it's just one of those random facts from a textbook I remember.

Hope you can come! And I'm REALLY sorry about the other night.

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 24, 1991

Dear Harry,

I heard the strangest rumor about you today! I know we still haven't spoken for a while, but you do know I'm sorry, don't you? I really wish we could keep 'the incident' behind us. At any rate, I overheard at the breakfast table today that you made the House Quidditch team! That's amazing! You must be the youngest player in over a hundred years! (I'll admit I had to look that up, but it's still very impressive).

I know you've been training for a few weeks now, but I just got wind of the news this morning. I bet your parents would be really proud of you, Harry. I know I am. I've never actually seen a game of Quidditch, but it seems very fascinating. I'm sure it was difficult for you to learn all the rules so quickly! I can't imagine having to learn the fundamentals of something and then applying them right away. That takes true talent. Looking forward to your first match, I know you'll be brilliant.

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 3, 1991

Dear Harry,

It's been ages since we've spoken, and I feel like I don't even get to see you anymore. Can't you forgive me? I suppose you've been busy with Quidditch practices, and I just wanted to let you know I snuck a peek at one. If that's against the rules, please don't tell. I haven't read anywhere that you're not allowed to observe the pitch while practices are being held, but that may be some unspoken rule I'm not aware of. If it is, please keep that under your hat. I guess this makes us even for "the duel" incident, then!

I just wanted to let you know what a great flyer you are, Harry. I really envy your talent on a broomstick. That's one thing that no matter how hard you try, you can't learn from a book. And believe me, I've tried. I'm sure if you saw me on a broom you'd be in stitches! Maybe you could teach me how to fly sometime; you know, the proper way. Textbooks really aren't a good source of 'hands on' learning, otherwise what would we need professors for? We would simply learn everything from the text!

Anyway, I wouldn't be nervous about your upcoming match, I'm sure you'll do exceptionally well. I'm open for a flying lesson anytime, if you're interested. It would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 14, 1991

Dear Harry,

It's been nearly a month since we've spoken last, and it's really bothering me. Harry, I'm sorry for what I've done. I'm sorry for what I said and I'm even sorry I tried to stop you! Just please talk to me. I haven't made very many friends here; actually, I haven't made any. You're the closest thing I've got to companionship and you and Ron won't even look at me. I can't eat or sleep anymore- all of this is tearing me apart.

Everyone makes fun of me because I know all the answers- I can't help it if I read ahead! I don't want to come off as desperate, but at this point I don't really care. Please forgive me for being a 'know-it-all' or 'bossy' or 'rude'- I didn't think it was that big of a deal. No one here seems to like me and I cry myself to sleep at night. I wouldn't tell anyone this, but I don't know what else to do. You're very popular and I thought at one time we were friends- I really like you and I think you have outstanding potential as a wizard. I would really cherish our friendship if you allowed it to blossom. Please, please talk to me.

-Hermione Granger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 30, 1991

Dear Harry,

The other day Professor Flitwick mentioned we'd be working with partners in Charms. I know we've had our differences in the past, but I was wondering if you would like to be my partner? I figure you will probably choose Ron, but his incantations could really use some practice. I've noticed you're struggling a bit with the homework, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to help. It's not that you're not trying or doing a good job, I bet you're just occupied with Quidditch practices. I think I've got this particular chapter down pat, and I would love to be of assistance. Let me know if you're available!

Sincerely,

Hermione Granger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 1, 1991

Dear Harry,

I can't thank you enough for saving my life- it was the least I could do to take the blame. I'm so glad we're speaking again! You have no idea how this little spat has affected me. I got you a little something to show my gratitude, it isn't much, but I think you'll like it.

It's a copy of Quidditch Through the Ages- it's the complete history of the game and all the facts and stats a seeker such as yourself needs to be familiar with. Well, perhaps not 'need', but I think you'll enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to your first Quidditch match- I know you'll be spectacular!

Perhaps you could teach me to fly the proper way sometime; I'm the worst when it comes to handling a broomstick. And as for Halloween, I owe you my life, Harry, and I would do anything for you.

Love,

Hermione

As she read the closing of the letter, she noticed her valediction had changed from Sincerely to Love, marking the first of many to come. Her signature, now simply Hermione, indicated true friendship in her twelve-year-old eyes, and the last line held true to this very day.

A/N: A bit sad in parts, wasn't it? I didn't realize SS was that depressing the first few months for Hermione, lol! Anyway, hope you liked, and I'll have another one up shortly. Let me know what you think!