Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love, Hermione by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love, Hermione

lilymione1203

Okay, so I know it's been a WHILE since I've updated…and that's putting it mildly. I've had this part written out for ages and for some reason didn't upload. Well, actually, RL got in the way and I really got out of writing and had personal relationship issues; let's just say if I'd finished this six months ago Harry and all the male characters would have ended up drunk, gay, or dead. Not particularly a portkey-compliant ending. At any rate, I really wanted to have ALL of the year 1992 on here but I'm afraid I'll have to break it up into smaller segments- because let's face it people a LOT of shit went down in some of those books and that would be like a 20,000 word chapter. Soooooo….hope you enjoy and I'll try to update more regularly (is that a phrase?) although I can't do it like clockwork like some of these other authors can. HOW DO YOU DO THAT by the way?? Anyway, feel free to leave a review, unless you're mean. And if you ARE mean go hold your head underwater for 30 min and then leave a review. Enjoy : )

Setting the letter down on the pile, Hermione looked at the clock- 9:13. After a quick glance at the ceiling she returned to the box, filled with forgotten feelings and requests. It was only a matter of time before it happened; she had to read quickly.

Reaching her hand beneath the coarse flaps, she felt around for another stack, startled by a sudden prick in her finger. Hermione jerked her hand out of the box and nursed the throbbing wound, delicately lowering her other hand back into the danger zone. Cold metal pierced her skin, and she gently picked up the mysterious object for examination.

She smiled down at her hands, cradling the treasure with quivering fingers. Hermione tilted her head to the side, running an index finger across its surface as the smile faded from her lips. Sunlight glinting off the edges, she watched her fingers skate along the chiseled exterior, losing herself in thought. Hastily pocketing the item, she grabbed another stack and tore the letter from its envelope, her eyes darting back and forth across the page:

December 19, 1991

Dear Harry,

Oh, how I miss you already! I really didn't want to leave Hogwarts for Christmas (the castle really does look lovely, doesn't it?), but I already promised my parents I'd come home for the holidays, and they do miss me terribly. It's nice being home, but I find myself marking the days till I'm back at Hogwarts again! What's more frustrating than anything is that I have no resources whatsoever to research Nicholas Flamel. You are continuing the search, I expect? I've rummaged through a few muggle texts, but (quite obviously) was unable to find anything useful.

We put up our Christmas tree today, a tiny six-footer we've kept in the attic for ages. It's nearly got more dust than needles! Hope your break is going well- don't forget about that history of magic essay due at the start of term. I would've had mine finished by now, but Nicholas Flamel keeps popping up in the back of my mind. I still haven't decided what to get you for Christmas (I know I haven't much time left), but you are quite the difficult wizard to buy for. Actually, I've never bought a wizard a Christmas gift. But I suppose last Christmas you weren't even a wizard! Well, technically, you've always been a wizard but you didn't know you were and-I'm rambling, aren't I? Point is, I simply can't decide what to get you. And Ron, of course, but I suppose anything edible will suffice. Why must this be so difficult!

I promise it won't be anything too extravagant or expensive; I don't expect anything of that sort. Anyway, I hear my mum calling to head out to the shops. Keep searching for Flamel! I miss you.

Love,

Hermione

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 25, 1991

Happy Christmas, Harry! I wish I could be there to spend the holidays with you lot; it's rather dull here, I'm afraid to report. A Granger Christmas is a wonderfully traditional one. I do love spending time with my family, but there is a sort of 'pull' that I can't quite describe making me miss Hogwarts more and more each day. I think I'll request to stay behind next year for the holidays; I already don't know what I'm going to do over the summer!

Or perhaps next year you could stay at the Grangers' for Christmas? From what I understand it was a bit of a fluke that Ron and his brothers stayed behind this year, and I imagine the castle would be awfully lonely. I've told mum and dad all about you, and they simply can't wait to meet you in person. They were quite impressed with your slaying of that dreadful troll, and can't thank you enough for saving my life. I'm sure a few holidays spent here would more than make up for your act of chivalry! That is, of course, if the Dursleys don't mind. I'm not sure how we'd go about arranging this, but we do have an entire year to think about it!

I hope you enjoy your chocolate frogs- I saw the pile of wrappers next to you on the train, and guessed that they might be your favorite. If not, I'm terribly sorry, and I'm sure Ron would be more than happy to take them off your hands. I suppose I'll have to replace them with another sweet…

I know candy is hardly a personal Christmas gift, but I was out for hours with my mum and simply couldn't make a decision; next year I'm asking for a list! I hope you'll at least think of me when you eat them, although once they're gone you won't have a reason to. I knew I should have gone with something that wasn't edible! I'm just teasing- enjoy your chocolate. I hope to hear from you soon; I've been glued to the windowsill for nearly a week searching the sky for owls!

Love,

Hermione

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 1, 1992

Dear Harry,

Happy New Year! I feel as though it's been ages since we've spoken, did you forget you own an owl? Sorry to be a bit harsh- it's just that I've just been cooped up in the muggle world for a couple of weeks. Funny how four months ago this life was all I knew, and now I can hardly stand it. I hope you and Ron are doing well- no more midnight duels, I take it?

I hardly watch the telly anymore- clearly not at Hogwarts because of the electronic restrictions- but I did watch the ball drop in Times Square. I think it would be absolutely breathtaking to witness the start of a new year in New York. I've never been one for crowds, but something…magical…seems to take place there at midnight. I suppose I'm just being silly, but I never did get my new year's kiss.

Keep up the search for Flamel! I know we'll figure it out eventually- I'm bound and determined to discover his identity as soon as I set foot in the castle. You mark my words! At any rate, just thought I'd send an owl to see if you lot were still breathing; I can't say I'm not a little disappointed that I didn't even get a 'Happy Christmas' card. I wasn't expecting any gifts- honest- but I would have liked to have heard from you. Happy New Year, Harry.

Love,

Hermione

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuffing the letter back in its envelope, she swiftly brushed a hand beneath her eye, removing the tears that clung to her lashes. After a deep breath, she slowly opened her eyes and reached for the pile, stopping short when she saw something other than yellowed parchment. She delicately fingered the trimmed satin and lace, tracing the edges adorned in blushing pink. Gingerly pinching the corner, she set the frilly object in her lap, staring at hours of fruitless labor.

A smitten twelve-year-old Hermione had handcrafted a paper heart, teeming with reds and pinks and ribbons and bows- so unlike her personality. It was the epitome of all things feminine, and Harry certainly would have gotten the message that Hermione was, indeed, a girl if he had received this on St. Valentine's Day.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and lost herself in nostalgia, watching the swirly calligraphy continue to write across the crinkled heart, still inscribing its poem after all these years:

Harry,

Mandrakes are red,

Wolfsbane is blue,

Do you fancy me as much as I you?

You've got me roped

Like the Devil's Snare vine,

Would you be my Valentine?

Love, Hermione

She snorted at her attempt at romantic literature, thanking Merlin that never got sent. Harry and Ron would have had a field day with that mushy little card, especially as immature first years- or second, or third, or seventh…she thought with a smirk.

Hermione remembered when Ginny sent Harry a similar valentine, following the poor bloke around the corridors and singing for all to hear. She grinned evilly at the thought, recalling how much Harry had hated it, but the smile vanished as soon as it appeared when her thoughts returned to today. Perhaps she should have sent it after all, look where it got Ginny…

She shook her head at the thought, casting the tattered heart aside and picked up another letter:

February 23, 1992

Dear Harry,

I have a lot to say at the moment, and although you may think it's odd I'm sending it to you in a letter rather than cornering you in person, it seems we are never without the company of a certain red headed friend of ours…

Be that as it may, PLEASE, Harry, I beg of you, do not play in the Quidditch match on Saturday! It was such a close call the last time with Snape in the stands, I can't bear to imagine what's going to happen with him on the pitch! I know you are the bravest wizard in our year by far, but you DON'T have to go through with this. I am very concerned for your safety and well-being, and if anything ever happened to you, well- I, I don't know what I would do.

As for the Mirror of Erised, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING SNEAKING OUT AT SUCH LATE HOURS!?!? There, you knew it was coming, I just had to say it. Seriously, Harry, it was a very dangerous thing to do. House points aside, there's no telling what else is lurking in this castle apart from a three-headed dog. You're just a magnet for danger, aren't you? Or trouble, and I'm not sure which is worse. I hope this letter doesn't sound too condescending, I realize you were only looking for research materials concerning Flamel. Little did we know you should have simply turned to my Christmas present!

On a serious note, I think it would be lovely to see your family, although if I looked in the mirror I would be unable to see that. I do wonder what it would show me, though- matters of the heart are clearly not my greatest strength. But I am curious…

However, Dumbledore did say it was rather dangerous, so this is not an invitation to traipse me throughout the castle to find it. Not that you would, but you seem to be drawn to adventure- specifically of the late variety. If we do ever happen to come across it again, though, I think I would like a peek. I wonder who- or what, rather- would be displayed if I were to step in front of it? I hope it's not something terribly selfish; I think Ron's vision was a tad self-centered. Head Boy and Quidditch Captain? I believe I know someone who's quite a bit better suited for those positions, and he's currently reading this letter.

Love,

Hermione

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 3, 1992

Dear Harry,

Are you certain you are alright? Our rendezvous in the Forbidden Forest was very frightening, especially for you- do you want to talk about it? Ron doesn't seem to understand the implications of what you witnessed; for heaven's sakes, he can't even say Voldemort's name! I'm sure everything will turn out alright, Dumbledore doesn't seem to be too awfully worried and the Stone is perfectly safe. I wish you'd quit worrying about it and try and concentrate on the upcoming exams. I'd be more than willing to help you study, if you like.

As for our detention, I'm not afraid to admit I was scared. The only thing keeping me from shaking was when you held my hand, and when you gave it a tight squeeze I knew I was safe. I think I was more frightened, however, when you were paired up with Malfoy, and I didn't know where you were. I did my best to keep Neville from nearly wetting himself, but I couldn't help but worry about you. I wouldn't have been surprised if Malfoy had shoved you into some sinister forest-dwelling creature and ran. Actually, that sounds fairly close to what happened. Someday I'd like to hex the smirk right off his pointed little face.

This may sound odd, but I wonder how Norbert is getting on? Charlie's mates were so friendly, do you think they might send a status report? At least to Hagrid, I know he's been taking his absence rather hard. For some reason I don't think this is the last bizarre creature we'll deal with from the likes of Hagrid…

Anyway, I know you're having a difficult time dealing with the wrath of the school- everyone seems to be giving you the cold shoulder for losing all those house points. It's been difficult for me as well, but considering only a handful of students even know who I am, the brunt of all the ridicule seems to lay with you. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Harry- I know what it's like being isolated from the general public. Just remember that we're in this together, and I'll stand by you no matter what- forever and always. I'm here for you, Harry.

Love,

Hermione

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 10, 1992

Dear Harry,

There has never been a more difficult moment in my entire life than when I had to walk away from you, knowing full and well that you were facing the most dangerous evil this world has to offer. Of course I was concerned for Ron's well being, but merely laying unconscious is entirely different from fighting Lord Voldemort! Alone! In the depths of a forbidden corridor of the castle!

I was worried sick about you the whole time, doing my best to tend to Ron's injuries while trying not to vomit. There were so many things I wanted to say to you before you passed through the wall of fire, but there was no time. If I had lost you, I would regret not telling you how wonderful you truly are. People have such high expectations for the great Harry Potter, 'The Boy Who Lived', and you exceed every single one of them. You are kind, humble, intelligent, talented, and charming, and I consider it an honor to be your friend.

You've been out cold for two solid days, and I can't stop thinking about you. I really hope you're not seriously hurt, that would be simply dreadful. I'll try not to think about it. I sent you five boxes of chocolate frogs- surely that will put the bounce back in your step! The entire castle has been talking about your acts of bravery- you're quite the hero, Harry. But then again, you've always been my hero. Even before Halloween.

Get well soon!

Love,

Hermione

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 1992

Dear Harry,

One day away from Hogwarts and I'm already going mad! I miss you terribly, and Ron, of course, and am so excited for the new school year. I've just started on all our homework for the holidays and it isn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. We should study together sometime, that is, if we could arrange some sort of get-together!

Mum and Dad are so excited to meet you, we'd just love it if you'd stay a week or two. We could use conventional muggle methods to stay in touch- I've tried explaining to Ron what a 'fellytone' is and it's very difficult to keep from laughing. And he thinks we're barking…

At any rate, this is my phone number: 555-555-5555. Any time you have homework questions, or simply want to chat, just give me a ring! My parents could call the Dursleys if you like and we can arrange for your visit, if you want to come. I understand if you're busy or your aunt and uncle won't allow it, but I do hope you'll say yes. I suppose Ron could stop by as well, but I'm afraid he'd tear his hair out for the lack of magic. I must say I am curious to the daily routine at the Burrow.

So, think it over and send me an owl (or I suppose you could call!) as soon as you can. Enjoy your holiday in the meantime. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Love,

Hermione

p.s.- Wasn't the look on Malfoy's face at the End of Term Feast priceless? Dumbledore is a saint

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------