Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter - The Sword & the Snake by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter - The Sword & the Snake

Barton Fink

Well, here it is - the final chapter. Finally I get to mark it as "Completed" and get my life back for a while.

Sorry if there is too much saccharine in the chapter for some people's taste, but I reckon I have put these characters through enough in this story. Time for them to get a wee break. Hope you enjoy…

Chapter 17 - Nineteen Days Later

Saturday September 06 1997

Harry looked to the heavens and figured the weather had decided to match his mood. The heavy, cloud laden skies sent forth a deluge that left him feeling soaked to the skin, despite his warm, waterproof cloak. The ground underfoot was sodden, each step taken accompanied by a soft squelch as the displaced water was sucked back into the earth. He glanced back towards Hogwarts and saw that the castle was shrouded in a fine mist - almost haar - that obscured the towers and turrets and gave the whole landscape an almost ethereal quality.

As he neared the white tomb, he felt a soft squeeze in his hand and he turned to Hermione, giving her a faint smile as he led them towards the newly dug hole next to the last resting place of Albus Dumbledore. It really wasn't a day for smiling, but he was sure Minerva would forgive him the momentary lapse. He could almost see her now; the lips pursing in disapproval whilst her eyes gave away the lie of her severity. He would miss that look, he knew. The look; and all of the other little factors that had made Minerva McGonagall the person she was.

They were the last to arrive, he noted, and - whilst they were not late - the looks he received from the Ministry official who was conducting the service gave him the impression that they had been waiting for him before starting the proceedings. He ignored the look and nodded to a few familiar faces in the mass of people that surrounded the fresh grave. He noticed without surprise that the crowd parted in front of him to ease his path to the front of the group of mourners. No one said a word, but all eyes were on him as he led Hermione through the throng.

It would take some getting used to, he knew, and he wondered if he would ever be comfortable with the reverential treatment he now received. He had always been recognised; the 'Boy-Who-Lived;' a curiosity to be pointed at and wondered about - something of a freak show to many. Now he was the "Sole Saviour of the Wizarding World!" The Daily Prophet had said so; it must be true, he thought bitterly.

He had taken immediate steps to disabuse the Wizarding World of that fallacy. It had been a busy week.

He did not remember much of the immediate aftermath of the battle in the Great Hall. He'd been almost suffocated as the survivors had crowded round him, each wanting to steal a touch of Harry Potter; to bask in the glory of his victory. He had wanted nothing to do with it. All he wanted to do was to find a quite moment with his friends and to try and come to terms with what had happened. Rufus had sensed his distress and had provided a Portkey to take them all back to the Briars. Assuring Harry that he personally would take care of the clear-up operation, Rufus had insisted that he leave. Harry had smiled his gratitude and he, Hermione and Ron had quickly made good their escape.

He had actually went to sleep, incredible as that seemed to him now. Despite the images of death and destruction that had dominated his thoughts, he had made his way up to his room, had crashed onto his bead and had fallen almost instantly asleep. It was obvious that his body needed time to absorb what had happened and had decided to overrule his mind in the matter. When he had woken over ten hours later, he had felt like a new man.

Rufus had been waiting for him when he arrived downstairs. The old Auror had looked as if he was at the end of his tether. He had been holding a list; a list that contained the names of all who had fallen that day, and a list that Rufus was about to hand to the press for publication. Harry had taken it; had read the names. Some he had recognised, others he did not and he felt a sudden surge of guilt as he had contemplated the names of the dead. One thing had gratified him though; the list contained the names of everyone who had died fighting Voldemort - everyone; human or elf. It had occurred to him that these elves would receive the equality in death that they had been denied in life. Looking up, he had been surprised to see the tears in the eyes of the Minister.

Harry had surprised them both by embracing him before sending him home to rest.

That had been five days ago, and now, as he neared the grave, Harry spotted Rufus standing between James Walsh and Arthur Weasley. He gave them all a curt nod - this was not the time for warm greetings - and joined Ron who was standing next to his father. They shook hands before turning to face the conducting official, their faces grim.

They have been waiting for me, he thought ruefully. The official had taken Harry's arrival as his cue to begin proceedings. He opened the service, beginning by rambling a few words on "why they were all here." Not very original, thought Harry.

Harry didn't listen; he did not need some stranger to tell him what a wonderful person Minerva McGonagall had been. Instead, he placed his arm around Hermione's shoulder and drew her close. Her tears had started already. He glanced up and saw Ginny watching them, her eyes narrow as she regarded the "golden couple" as the Prophet had taken to calling them. Harry suspected that it was Ginny herself that had leaked the details of their relationship to the press. He wouldn't put it past her to have coined that hateful phrase about them either. There was a definite breach between them now, but Harry couldn't care less. It would be nice if they could be friends once again, but he wasn't going to bust a gut to make it happen.

And now, even here, thought Harry, even here she can't let it go, he thought as he saw the resentment in her eyes.

They had returned to the Burrow on Tuesday evening. Entering the kitchen via the back door, Harry had been delighted to see all the Weasleys seated at the table, preparing for their meal. Shouts of surprise and joy had greeted their arrival, but Harry had spotted immediately the change to Ginny's expression. She had noticed that Harry held Hermione's hand tight in his own.

'I thought you said there was no one else!' she had exclaimed, accusingly. Harry had made to answer, but had been surprised when Ron had beaten him to it.

'Grow up, Ginny!' he had said, his finger raised in front of him to forestall any further outbursts from his sister. 'This isn't a fairy tale; Harry is not your Prince Charming and not everyone gets to live happily ever after. Harry and Hermione are an item; they love each other. So deal with it, Ginny. You can mope all you want but it won't change anything. The sooner you realise that, the better for everyone.'

Ginny had stood open mouthed for a moment before letting out a sob and dashing upstairs to her room.

'Ronald Weasley!' Molly had began. 'How dare…'

'Stow it, mum. This has nothing to do with you.'

Molly had looked open mouthed at her youngest son for a moment. Had looked at her "little Ronnikins" and had finally realised that he was no longer a child. That he had grown up; that events had forced him to grow up. She had put down her apron and had approached the trio, embracing each in turn. When she got to Harry, she hadn't been able to help herself.

'Oh, Harry. It's so good to see you. Now sit down and eat; you look so thin!' Her eyes had twinkled as she said this, clearly aware of the joke.

That had brought much laughter, and the celebration had begun.

Now Harry found himself trying to suppress a smile at the memory. This would not be a good time to suddenly burst out laughing. The Ministry official droned on and Harry continued to let his mind wander. He was sure Minerva wouldn't mind; indeed, he suspected that she would have been exasperated by all the fuss.

This was not the first funeral Harry had attended this week, although it was to be the last for the moment. He had attended three so far. First those of Lavender and Terry (Dean's Muggle parents had insisted on a private ceremony). On both occasions, he had spoken to the parents of his schoolmates. Parents who were struggling to come to terms with their sudden loss. He had tried to explain; tried to tell them that the death of their respective children had meant something; that they had died fighting evil and fighting for their friends. He suspected that the words offered no consolation. Harry had lost a number of loved ones in his short life, but he had come to the conclusion that the grief a parent must feel for the loss of a child must be the cruellest form of torture.

The third funeral had been the hardest to bear. It had been a mass burial; a burial of the six house elves that had lost their lives fighting Lord Voldemort. Harry had stood beside Dobby and Kreacher and had been strangely moved as the child like forms of the dead had been placed in the grave. Hermione and Ron had also attended, but so too had Rufus and it was clear that the sacrifices made by these elves had moved him deeply. He had spoken a few words afterwards. He had said that victory would not have been possible without the help of the Hogwarts elves. Had said that he would make it his mission to make sure everyone in the Wizarding World was made aware of this fact. He hadn't added anything else - he hadn't needed to.

Harry had not lingered at any of these funerals, aware that the attention was on him instead of those being laid to rest. It angered him that his increased fame could even overshadow the funerals of heroes. That was what Lavender and Terry and all of the elves had been as far as Harry was concerned; heroes.

And that was why he had decided to take the offensive against the Prophet. After a discussion with Rufus, he had contacted Luna's father and had granted a full interview to the Quibbler. He had told them nearly everything. About the Horcruxes; about faking his death and the key parts played by Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy. Told of the critical intervention of the house elves, and the bravery of his schoolmates. He told them everything; everything he thought the public needed to know.

He told them one other truth too; something he never thought he would do. He had told them that the victory would not have been possible without the assistance of Minister Rufus Scrimgeour. Rufus had been amused; had joked that the whole thing had been nothing more than a great scam to finally get Harry to be his 'poster boy.' Harry had laughed, but had then listened gravely as Rufus had insisted that the decision was Harry's to make; he did not have to say anything of Rufus' role in the victory. He had given his word, Rufus had explained; he had promised not to use Harry for political gain.

Harry had ignored him and had endorsed the Minister anyway. A Minister who was now enjoying record approval ratings as it turned out.

He suppressed a smile again and cast his eyes around those present at the graveside. At Neville, who had saved the life of Severus Snape and in doing so had enabled his most hated teacher to extract the revenge on Lestrange for what had been done to his parents. Neville was still quiet; still reserved; but it was clear that he had a new found confidence. Neville had finally realised that he didn't have to live in the shadow of his parents any longer. He was his own man; had performed his own heroic deeds. Even his gran seemed pleased with him, for once.

He looked at Luna; at Justin and Susan and all the others who had been there that day. And then at Remus and Tonks; at Moody and Hagrid and at everyone else who had fought and struggled and battled for all these years against Lord Voldemort. There was peace to be found here, he thought, as he watched the mortal remains of Minerva McGonagall lowered into the grave. For her, this day was an ending and he grieved for it. But for those who had come to pay their respects to this wonderful woman, it was a beginning. A beginning that Minerva had fought for; even though she was no longer here to savour it.

He felt his own tears fall now; tears that were lost amidst the raindrops that also ran down his face. Tears for Minerva and everyone else who had died in the struggle over the years. In particular, tears for Dumbledore and Sirius. And - not least - tears for his parents. He squeezed Hermione closer to him as the coffin was finally laid to rest. Resting his chin on her head he finally cast his glance to the one person whose gaze he had deliberately avoided up to now.

Severus Snape.

Who - despite being surrounded by the crowd of mourners - still seemed to cut a lone, solitary figure as he watched the coffin of his colleague as it was finally laid to rest. It was as if those nearest to him were deliberately keeping their distance; as if they were fearful of somehow becoming contaminated by the man who had been considered as one of Lord Voldemort's most trusted aides. Despite the fact that Harry had made clear in his interview the exact role Snape had played in the victory, too many seemed to regard him as a threat. Snape had been correct in his assertion; he was the man who had killed Albus Dumbledore and the public would not be willing to let him live in peace. This was the first time he had been seen in public; Rufus had lodged him at the Briars after he, Hermione and Ron had left. As the Minister had explained; he did not know what else to do with the man at the moment. The public still viewed Snape with deep suspicion. Harry could not but help feel sympathy for the man - the man who had risked his life and had done so much to save them all. It was for this reason that Harry had made a suggestion of his own to the Minister.

And today they would find out if his idea had merit.

Harry noticed that the crowd was beginning to disperse; the ceremony was over. He walked over to the grave and lifted a handful of dirt from the heap that would soon be used to re-fill the hole. He looked down on the pine coffin for a moment.

'Good bye, Professor,' he whispered. 'Thank you,' he added, before letting go the handful of dirt. It landed on the lid with a splat.

Harry turned and caught Rufus' eye. With an almost imperceptible tilt of his head, the Minister indicated towards Snape. Harry nodded and turned to Ron and Hermione to see if they were ready. They were.

The four of them approached Severus Snape as he turned to leave. The former Potions Professor caught sight of their approach and halted. He regarded them without amusement.

'So,' he began. 'I am finally to learn my fate? I must say that it is about time. I am beginning to lose my mind in that blasted house.'

Harry did not reply; he was now getting used to Snape's bluster. Instead, it was Rufus who spoke first.

'I'm sorry it has taken so long, Severus, but as you can imagine, I have had my hands full since Monday. I have not had the time to consult with you before now. Please accept my apologies.'

Snape looked guarded. 'So what can I do for you, Minister?' he asked.

'I need your advice, Severus,' replied Rufus. 'I need your advice on when you think we should re-open the school.'

Snape actually looked interested for a moment. 'So you are re-opening Hogwarts? I wasn't sure if you would do so right away. It is the correct decision. It should be done as soon as possible, in my opinion.'

'I'm glad you think so,' replied Rufus. 'Of course, the decision was not - is not - mine to make; the Ministry has no power over the school, you know this. We were waiting to hear the views of the new Headmaster. We had to wait until the Board of Governors ratified the appointment first.'

'So the school has a new Head? Excellent, this is good news.' Snape could not help but show his interest now. Harry was pleased.

'Who is it to be then?' Snape asked, clearly curious.

Rufus let the moment drag out, clearly enjoying himself. 'You, Severus,' he finally replied. 'You are to be the new Headmaster - if you desire the position of course.'

It took all of Harry's willpower not to smile at that moment. It was not often Severus Snape was taken unawares, but right now his mouth was opening and closing like a stranded fish. He looked at each of them in turn as if suspecting some cruel trick was being played.

'Me?' he finally asked. 'How is this possible? The Governors would never agree.'

'Oh, you'd be surprised, Severus,' said Rufus airily, and it was clear that he could no longer contain his own amusement. 'I stressed to the Board the importance of appointing a suitable Headmaster in order to re-open the school. I also emphasised the need to make the appointment as quickly as possible. They agreed with me entirely. Of course, I would never have presumed to force my own appointment on them, but I did offer to draw up a short list of potential candidates to help them with their choice. They were most grateful for my assistance; especially when I stressed that they were not bound to accept any of the candidates on my list.'

'A short list?' asked Snape. He looked thoughtful for a moment. 'How many names were on your list, Minister?' he added.

'One,' replied Rufus.

Snape looked stunned. 'And they accepted this? The Board of Governors accepted this? Accepted that you desired me for Headmaster? Accepted the preference of the Ministry?'

'Not at first,' conceded Rufus. 'But when I pointed out that my proposal of your appointment had the backing of many of the leading figures in our society, they soon changed their minds. I even gave them a list of the names of those figures who expressly desired that you get the job.'

'Another list? And just how many names were on this particular list?' He looked directly at Harry as he asked this. Harry decided that this would be a good moment to examine his shoes.

'The strange thing is there was only one name on that list too. He must be a very influential person. Whoever he is,' added Rufus, his face giving nothing away.

'I'm sure he is,' replied Snape, looking very intently at Harry, who completely ignored him and was by now was looking to the sky as if contemplating the weather.

'So will you take the job?' asked Rufus, and this time the tone was serious.

Snape looked at the Minister for a long moment. Finally he spoke. 'Would it be possible for me to speak to Mr. Potter alone for a few a moments? There is something personal I wish to discuss with him. You shall have my answer once I have done this, if this is acceptable to you.'

'It is quite acceptable, Severus. We shall leave you alone for now,' he said, indicating towards Ron and Hermione. He then held out his hand to Snape.

'And whatever you decide, please accept my thanks for everything that you did. I have the greatest respect for you now, Severus.'

Snape looked at the proffered hand with suspicion, but after a moment extended his own and the two men shook hands. He was further startled by the sudden movement of Ron who also extended his hand. Snape shook this too.

Finally, Hermione surprised everyone by stepping forward and embracing her former professor.

'Thank you,' she whispered. 'Thank you for everything.'

Harry bit his lip to prevent the laughter from bursting forth at such a solemn moment. Snape was standing with his arms at his side as Hermione hugged him. He looked as if he had never been hugged in his entire life and his eyes were wide in shock. Finally, he brought up his right arm and patted Hermione on the shoulder, as if petting a dog.

He cleared his throat. 'Er…thank you, Miss Granger. You are welcome,' he finally managed.

Hermione released him and turned to leave. Before she did, she gave Harry a soft kiss. 'See you in a bit,' she said, before ambling off with Ron and Rufus.

Snape watched her go and then noticed the look in Harry's eyes as he too followed her departure.

'There may be hope for you yet, Potter.' He waited until Harry turned to face him, his eyebrow raised in question. 'She has enough brains for both of you. You may yet amount to something, although why such an unworthy vessel as you should be granted such good fortune is beyond me' he added.

Harry smiled at the words. Defeating Voldemort obviously did not count as "something" as far as this man was concerned. He realised that if he ever got too big for his boots then all he would have to do was to visit Snape. The man would soon cut him down to size.

'So what can I do for you, Severus?' he asked.

Snape was silent for a long moment. 'Why?' he finally asked. 'I know it was you; only you have the influence to pull this off at the minute. Why?'

Harry sighed. 'Because the school needs to re-open and in order to achieve this, it needs a new Head.'

'But why me?'

Harry regarded Snape for a moment. 'Because you are the best man for the job. Because one of the things you have taught me is to use my reason and not my emotions when making big decisions. And my reason tells me that no one is more suited to the position than you. Besides,' he added sadly, 'it does not seem like too much to ask, does it?'

Snape smiled at the memory, before looking at his feet, deep in thought. 'Will you be returning as a student?' he finally asked.

'I think so. Our world needs to heal. It needs to get back to normal. And whilst I hate the fact, I cannot deny that I occupy a …unique position in our society. I think it would help us get back to normal if I did return to Hogwarts. It might also help the public deal with your appointment. I am backing you publicly, Severus; I can do no more. Besides,' he added, turning to the castle, 'this is my home.'

'Mine too,' said Snape, quietly. He looked thoughtful again. 'I thought you didn't like the fame and attention?'

Harry sighed. 'I don't - I hate it. But I also realised that I could do some good with it. Helping you is a start; you deserve whatever is in my power to give for what you did.'

Snape regarded the young man in front of him, amazed at the magnanimity he was displaying. 'You do realise, Potter, that if you do return to Hogwarts, you cannot expect such preferential treatment? That you will be just another student? Your power and influence will not extend to the corridors of my school.'

Harry smiled. 'I would expect nothing less. Does this mean you will take the appointment?'

Snape nodded. 'It means I will take the appointment.' He paused for a moment. 'Thank you, Harry.'

Harry looked surprised for a moment. Then he smiled. 'You're welcome, Severus. Sorry. I mean your welcome, Headmaster.' Harry held out his hand.

Snape regarded the proffered hand before slowly accepting the handshake. Harry nodded to the man and turned to leave. He had only gotten a few paces before he turned back.

'One final thing,' he said. He looked directly at Snape. 'What would you have done had Voldemort killed me? If he had won before your true loyalties had been revealed?'

Snape took what seemed like an age before replying. The only sound was the rain as it continued to fall in torrents. Finally he looked Harry in the eye, aware that this was some weird kind of test. A final test.

'I have though of little else all week.'

'And?'

'And I don't know,' Snape replied. 'In all honesty, I do not know.'

Harry nodded, satisfied. 'That's what I thought. Had you said anything else I would have had you arrested. Goodbye, Headmaster.'

And with that final bombshell, Harry turned to leave.

Headmaster Snape watched him go and after a moment, he smiled. How very Slytherin of him, he thought. Perhaps there was hope for him after all.

***********

Saturday 20 September 1997

'…and do you take this man to be your lawful wedded husband…'

Harry squeezed Hermione's hand as he heard the traditional words before passing her his handkerchief so she could wipe the tears from her eyes. It was a glorious sunny day with not a cloud in the sky and Harry thought this only fitting; the weather seemed to be in tune with his own moods these days and right now it more than adequately expressed how he was feeling.

'I do,' replied Fleur, as she gazed lovingly into the eyes of Bill Weasley.

'Then I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride,' said the official who was conducting the wedding. Bill leaned across and gently planted a kiss onto the lips of his wife. Harry joined in the applause with everyone else who had come to celebrate this day.

It seemed only fitting; the wedding had been postponed as a result of his 'death' and now - after nineteen days of mourning - it served to provide everyone with new hope for the future. The sun shone, the birds sang and everyone present felt the sheer joy of being alive on such a day. The garden of the Burrow looked wonderful and Harry felt honoured to be present.

'Did you remember the confetti?' asked Hermione sharply. Harry smiled and handed her the box before watching in amusement as she slipped out of her seat and darted to the end of the aisle to await the arrival of the happy couple.

'Where's she off to?' whispered Ron. 'What's confetti?'

'It's a Muggle thing,' answered Harry, realisation suddenly dawning. This should be good.

Ron watched in bemusement as Hermione scattered the confetti over the heads of his brother and new sister-in-law. He was not the only one, Harry realised; every other witch and wizard present looked at her as if she was mad.

'So, do all Muggles toss litter over newly-weds then?' asked Ron.

Harry smiled. 'It's a tradition, Ron. She's just following tradition.'

'Bloody mental, if you ask me.'

He looked up to the shouts of laughter from all around to see the scarlet face of his girlfriend as she suddenly realised that confetti was not a tradition at wizard weddings. He laughed deeply and approached her, wrapping her in a bear hug and lifting her clean off the ground.

'You are wonderful,' he said.

'I didn't know! I just assumed wizards did it too!'

Harry laughed again. 'Maybe they will now, Hermione. You might have started a trend here.'

She swatted his arm before dissolving into her own fits of giggles. Everyone around them laughed uproariously.

'C'mon,' said Harry, taking her hand. 'Let's go and get a drink,' he added as he led her towards the marquee. A few moments later, they were both enjoying a cool drink; he an ice cold beer; Hermione a glass of white wine.

'You do realise that I should punish you both for drinking alcohol. The Head Boy and Girl should be setting an example, don't you think?'

Harry turned to the voice. 'Headmaster,' he said. 'Glad you could make it.' He looked at his drink. 'I suppose you could punish us, but if I were to offer to get you one, would you be willing to overlook the misdemeanour?'

Snape looked thoughtful. 'What's this Mr. Potter? Trying to bribe me?' He raised an eyebrow.

'It would be a single malt scotch,' replied Harry. 'Someone introduced me to it once. I think you might like it.'

'In that case, Mr. Potter, I might be open to a little bribery.' He waited until Harry got him a drink. 'Your health, Mr Potter, Miss Granger.' He took a drink. 'Carry on; do not let me distract you,' he added before strolling off.

Harry and Hermione shared a look and a smile. It had been strange to return to Hogwarts just under two weeks ago. Strange to return to the scene of so much carnage and so much pain. But the strangest thing of all had been to watch Severus Snape take his seat in the Headmaster's chair the evening of the welcoming feast. He had made a brief speech, stressing the need for healing and reconciliation. It had been amazing to hear the words come from his mouth.

The new Headmaster had his work cut out. New teachers had to be found and Harry had been delighted when the first appointment was confirmed. Remus Lupin once again accepted the position of DADA teacher, only this time he was also confirmed as the new head of Gryffindor House. With the appointment of a werewolf to the teaching staff, Snape was sending a message. This is my school now.

Slughorn had agreed to continue as Potion's master - and was now Head of Slytherin House - despite Snape's desire to take both jobs himself. It had been a difficult decision for the new Head but he had finally accepted that he had to be above House rivalries now. His concern was the entire school now, but that was not to say that he did not show some favour to his old house.

Snape had confirmed Minerva's decision to have Hermione as Head Girl. This had been an easy decision for him to make. He had consulted with the portrait of Albus and the new portrait of Minerva that now hung in his office. Both portraits had been delighted at hearing of Snape's new role. What had surprised a few people, though, was the new Headmaster's decision to approach Ron before the school opened to ask his thoughts on who should be Head Boy. Ron technically held the position as he had been given the badge before the battle. Ron, however, hadn't hesitated. He had insisted that Harry receive the honour; a sure sign of his growing maturity.

'Besides,' he had said, 'it doesn't matter if he has the badge or not; everyone will look to Harry as Head Boy regardless.'

But it wasn't the badge that Harry had been pleased to receive. What really made the position worth while was that he got to use the Head Boy's suite. Harry had insisted that Ron move in with him but as Hermione had her own room too the two of them had been able to spend some time on their developing relationship. Snape had not demurred at the situation. His only comment had been a dry 'make sure you behave' before he had dismissed them from his office. They had heard the laughter from Albus and Minerva before they had even reached the stairs.

Harry smiled at the memory. He was now beginning to enjoy the life he had always dreamed of. He had a girlfriend he loved (and who seemed to love him); a deep and close friend in Ron and - most importantly - did not have to deal with the threat of a dark wizard trying to murder him at every turn.

Life was good right now.

He watched as Ron meandered his way through the crowd towards them, doing his best to appear nonchalant as he noticed the admiring glances he was receiving from many of the young witches present. Harry was glad; he had explained in great detail to the press everything Ron had did to help him over the years. He had stated emphatically just how important his contribution had been and had listed some of his more heroic exploits. And then he had casually mentioned that his friend was currently unattached.

It had been the very least he could do.

As a result of his new fame (and of his own unavailability, Harry knew, without conceit), Ron now had to virtually fight the girls off with a pointed stick. He was revelling in it. Hermione did not approve; she thought Ron shouldn't act so shallow and instead try and find himself a meaningful relationship. Harry had told her to cut him some slack; Ron deserved a little fun.

And fun was what he had been having these past few weeks.

'Alright?' asked Ron as he finally reached them. Harry passed him a beer and the three friends took a moment to relax in silence. Harry enjoyed just watching the proceedings. He knew most of the people here and as a result he wasn't being pestered for autographs and the like. It was bliss.

He saw Rufus and James Walsh approach. They had been perhaps the busiest men of all recently; dealing with the aftermath of the battle. The funerals of the Aurors had needed arranging. Then the re-opening of Hogwarts had to be organised. Next, the Death Eater trials had to be processed and finally the administration of government itself had needed taking care of. One of the first things to be done had been the repeal of the emergency powers. Harry had been delighted to learn that none of the captured Death Eaters would be executed.

They were all to be imprisoned, however. All, save one. Draco Malfoy had been allowed to go free. Rufus had considered the fact that he had let in Death Eaters to Hogwarts the night Dumbledore had died. Although Snape had performed the deed at the Headmaster's instructions, Draco had not known this - he had let in the Death Eaters with malicious intent.

However, Rufus had continued; in view of his efforts since that night; and in view of the fact that both Harry Potter and Severus Snape had spoken on his behalf; he would be set free and all charges dropped.

He would not be allowed to return to Hogwarts, though. Not after betraying the school and his classmates. Snape had been adamant on that point.

Draco would survive, though, Harry knew. With both his parents now in prison, he had inherited the entire Malfoy fortune. It would come in useful to help him rehabilitate the Malfoy name.

Harry had thought Snape's decision harsh, but had agreed in the end. One sentence he did not think severe, however, was the ten year sentence handed to Dolores Umbridge. Harry would have given the bitch more, but Rufus had said that it was the most he could give her. The Minister had been particularly scathing when passing sentence and had seemed to take the whole thing personally. Which was understandable, Harry knew. Although she had spied for Voldemort, she had not (at least to their knowledge) taken part in any murders or assaults. Ten years would have to do.

Harry hoped she rotted in jail.

'Hello, you three,' said Rufus. 'Having fun?'

'We sure are, Rufus. It's a fine day and there's no school tomorrow. We even have a pass from the Headmaster to have a few drinks,' replied Harry.

Rufus laughed. 'I won't keep you too long. I just wanted to let Hermione know that I will be tabling the new Elf Rights Act in the Wizengamot on Monday. I am assured that it will pass with little obstruction.'

Hermione squealed with delight and hugged the Minister, causing a second bout of laughter from those nearby. She was giving Muggles a bad name, thought Harry. Nonetheless, he too was delighted at the news.

Hermione had spoken to Rufus after the funeral of the elves that had died and had asked him directly what he intended to do about the current status of House Elves. This had led to a lengthy debate between the two which had only ended when an exasperated Rufus had summoned Sukey and asked her if she wanted to be set free.

The little elf had burst into tears.

'You see, Hermione, they don't want to be set free. Dobby is unique; he is not representative of his people.'

'But some of them are treated so badly!' Hermione had exclaimed.

And then the politician in Rufus had taken over. He had grabbed a quill and parchment and had jotted down some ideas. Hermione had tossed in a few of her own and soon the two had reached an acceptable compromise. Rufus then handed this hastily scrawled memo to his Private Secretaries and within a few days it came back in the format of a formal proposal.

House Elves would no longer be bound against their will. They could leave service whenever they wanted. Anyone caught mistreating one would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No longer would elves be viewed as inferior to humans - at least not in the eyes of the Law anyway - some prejudices would take longer to change.

It was start, thought Harry.

He smiled as Hermione turned to hug him too. 'This would never have happened had you not spoken out, Harry. Thank you!'

Rufus laughed. 'Well, I just wanted to let you know. Enjoy the rest of the day. We had better return to our wives before we get into more trouble. See you later,' he finished, with a wave.

'I'm off too,' said Ron, whose gaze was now fixed on a pretty brunette who was standing on her own about thirty feet away. I'll see you two later.'

Harry watched him go with amusement. He turned to Hermione and took her hand. They both watched as Bill led Fleur to the dance floor for their first waltz as man and wife. Within a few moments, Arthur joined them with Fleur's mother and Molly, who danced with Monsieur Delaceur.

Harry looked at Hermione.

'Fancy a dance?'

'I thought you'd never ask,' she replied, before leading him to the dance floor.

Harry was immediately aware of the eyes on him as he danced slowly with his girlfriend. At first he was uncomfortable, but then he realised that these people were his friends; they wished him well. And then he looked at the woman that he held in his arms and his heart swelled with the love he felt for her at that moment. The sun was shining; the laughter was in the air and it finally occurred to Harry as he squeezed Hermione tighter that he did actually have a future. A future in which he and the woman he held could do anything they wanted - go anywhere they wanted. It was only now that Harry Potter finally came to terms with what it meant to be free; what it meant to really live. He leaned in and gave Hermione a soft kiss; a kiss of tenderness and love.

She looked at him quizzically, unused to such public displays of affection.

'Are you OK, Harry?' she asked.

He took along moment to answer her. A moment in which he saw his future with this woman; a future that had love and laughter and - when the time came and if they were lucky - children of their own to love and to teach and to spoil in the years to come. He held her tighter to his chest as they slowly turned to the music.

'Never better,' he replied, before leaning in to kiss her again, realising that he had never spoken truer words in his whole life.

***********

a/n - So that's it; finally done. I'm glad some of you seemed to enjoy it and - once again - a huge thank you to all who reviewed. I enjoyed reading your comments and observations and I found some of them very helpful as I have not attempted anything like this before.

I would like to say sorry for the cliffs, but I won't because I would be lying if I did. The truth is that I enjoyed every second of leaving you all in the lurch (evil laugh). I reckon I was entitled to a wee bit of fun for my efforts…

Ta Ta for now.

BF