Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nightmares and Truths by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nightmares and Truths

ShellyLove

The ink black sky was clear and full of stars, the moon hung low in the sky casting silver light on the sloping hills below. Flashes of light and the sounds of battle echoed through the empty countryside. A group of masked figures clad in black advanced on various others shouting words that would make no sense to passersby. Only a witch or wizard would recognize the incantations of spells.

In the midst of the fighting, three teenagers stood just behind those opposing the Death Eaters waiting in silence. In the middle, stood a tall raven-haired man in glasses, bright emerald fire behind the round lenses. A lightning bolt-shaped scar donned his forehead, just visible beneath his hair. To his right, stood a petite young woman with strong toffee brown eyes, her curls of deep chocolate catching in the breeze. To the young man's left stood a lanky ginger-haired wizard, his cautious blue eyes scanning the battlefield. All three stood, wands drawn in quiet anticipation.

The line of witches and wizards battling the masked criminals gained the upper hand forcing the opposing army to separate in two. The Order of the Phoenix pushed forward to open a path in the middle, forging the trio a path to the hill beyond. An older man, having just overtaken a masked foe turned to the trio, "Follow me, now!" he yelled, transforming into a large black dog and bolting through the opening.

The black-haired man turned to his companions, "Ready?" he questioned, the muscles of his jaw taut as a bow. The woman nodded, eyes fixed on the path; the other young man nodded his acquiescence as well. Together, the teenage wizards raced through the overgrown grass, following the dog up the sloping hill to a large manor, the sound of the battle becoming a faint echo behind them.

The trio reached the lawn and slowed to a stop where the dog sat, eyes fixed on the abandoned house ahead. "Sirius," the young wizard said, his jade eyes scanning the windows of the old house. The dog once again became a man, his shaggy black hair falling around his shoulders, his dark eyes serious. "He's here, inside most likely," Sirius informed them quietly, his voice a gruff bark. "So in we go," the young woman said sneaking a glance at her be-speckled companion. "Bloody hell, we're going in," agreed the redhead. Sirius Black turned to them, the manor at his back, "Harry, Ron, Hermione," he paused, his dark eyes glowing in the moonlight. "Watch each other's backs, be careful. We'll follow as soon as we take care of the bastards down there," he continued, his eyes coming to rest on his godson.

Harry dropped his gaze from the house to the older man in front of him, "Sirius," he said quietly, his deep voice shaking. Hermione put a small hand on his forearm, "We'll be fine, Sirius. The coward has nowhere to hide," she voiced defiantly. A smile lit up Sirius' face, "That's what I wanna hear. I'll see you all after,' he said putting a hand on Harry's shoulder. Now angry green eyes me his, "For your parents," Sirius said his eyes searching his godson's face, Harry nodded as the shaggy black dog bounded back down the steep hill to the battlefield.

Not another word passed between the three friends as they moved across the vast lawn towards the house. Harry led the way flanked by Ron and Hermione, the rotted steps of the front porch squeaked loudly as the trio neared the door. Suddenly, all three dived to the side as the door blasted off the hinges. A harsh laugh met their ears as they scrambled to their feet, the now shattered door lay at the foot of the steps. The young wizards retreated a ways from the house as a snake-faced man in billowing black robes emerged from the dark doorway, his red eyes gleaming with malice. Lord Voldemort stood before them on the steps of his deceased muggle father's home smiling his lipless smile followed only by Peter Pettigrew.

Harry stood wand at the ready, anger flooding his veins as he prepared for battle. On either side of him, his best friends mirrored him, eyes locked on the dark wizard. "So, you've come, pity. You've rushed to your death, Potter," Voldemort said, his drawling voice laced with amusement. "No more words, Tom. Let's end this once and for all," Harry spoke evenly, "For the lives you've taken and the family's you have destroyed," his voice strong and unafraid. Voldemort's inhuman red eyes flashed with anger as he took a step forward, Harry followed Voldemort's lead taking a step forward. "Ron, Hermione, don't interfere. Protect yourselves," Harry called over his shoulder. Hermione moved to stand beside Ron, her wand lowered to her side, "Harry," she began, but words failed her. Ron picked up for her, "End this, but come back to us, mate," he said to his friend. "Wormtail, it is time," Voldemort ordered, his smile returning as he came to a stop yards before The-Boy-Who-Lived. Wormtail turn toward the house, and called in a hoarse voice, "Your master summons you, kill his enemies!"