Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nightmares and Truths by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nightmares and Truths

ShellyLove

Masks and robes discarded, five Death Eaters emerged from the backside of the house, wands drawn and twisted smiles adorned their faces. Ron felt Hermione tense at his side when Antonin Dolohov winked and blew a kiss her way. Among the approaching dark wizards was Bellatrix Lestrange, her maniacal laughter ringing in the night as she came to a stop beside Dolohov. Rodolphus Lestrange followed his wife; an evil sneer escaped him as he locked eyes with Ron. Lucius Malfoy fell in step next; his pale blonde hair turned vibrant silver in the darkness. Walden Macnair stalked into view, his bright black eyes gleaming maliciously as he came to a stop beside Malfoy.

Harry stopped, eyes blazing "What is this? You kept your favorites close by to kill me for you?" he demanded, his wand sparking. The Death Eaters came to a stop to the left of the old manor house forcing Hermione and Ron to move to Harry's right. The half-crescent of enemies stilled, waiting for the battle to begin. Voldemort sneered, "They, Potter, are to take care of your firneds while I kill you. No one but I will have that honor," he chuckled. Harry chanced a look at his friends, "Don't worry about us, Harry. Just destroy him," Hermione whispered, sending a silent stunner, knocking Bellatrix to the ground.

Hermione and Ron took off, running to the rear of the house, jets of green light just missing them as the disappeared from view. The Death Eaters followed, led by Bellatrix, also disappearing behind the house with Wormtail in tow. Harry's heart began to thunder against his ribs, this is it, time to end this. Ron, Hermione, please be careful, he thought as he dodged Voldemort's first Cruciatus Curse. Harry crouched, muscles tensed, baiting Voldemort to cast another spell to initiate priori icantatem. "Avada Kedavra!" rang through the darkness as two beams of green illuminated the dark, broken windows of the old house. Voldemort's killing curse met Harry's, the connected wands shook with the power of the two wizards.

"You cannot win, Potter. You will fall this night," Voldemort screamed, laughing as he brought Harry to his knees, the spell almost touching the tip of Harry's wand. Harry closed his eyes; images began to flash against his eyelids as his heart pounded in his chest. His life flew by in a whirlwind of images, giving him the strength he desperately needed. Harry's wand began to shake violently as his loved ones' faces entered his thoughts. Mum, Dad, Hermione, Ron, Sirius, Lupin, the Weasleys, Hagrid, he thought quickly, gripping his wand in both hands.

Harry opened his eyes and stood, his power flowing into his wand sending the spell back at Voldemort. "No, it is you who will die tonight," Harry voiced angrily taking powerful steps towards Voldemort. Harry continued to push against the power, Voldemort's eyes flashed with fear as the spell reached the tip of his wand, causing the tip to catch fire. Harry stopped his advance leaving two feet between himself and the Dark Lord. "It's over, Tom. Love has won," Harry spoke, his magic shaking him to his very core. Harry broke the connection and called "Avada Kedavra!" and Voldemort fell to the grass, finally defeated.

Harry fell to his knees, exhaustion taking over as a loud scream ripped through the night. The Order of the Phoenix raced up the hill and toward the scream, having finally won the battle in the valley below. "Hermione!" Harry cried, scrambling to his feet and running towards the house. Harry came to a stop, taken aback at the scene before him. The Death Eaters lay almost covered by the overgrown grass of the once expansive lawn stunned and bound. Ron knelt by the back porch, Hermione lay beneath him Dolohov lay dead mere feet away. Ron had his wand trained on the crying form of Bellatrix Lestrange, who stood screaming, arms outstretched in the air. Kingsley and Lupin took her away as others in the Order levitated the downed Death Eaters out of sight. Now only Harry, Ron and the limp form of Hermione remained in the backyard of the Riddle House.

Harry lowered himself to his knees on Hermione's other side taking her warm hand in his own. Ron raised his worried eyes to Harry, "Dolohov, he hit her with a spell just as she overtook Lestrange. I killed him, but I wasn't fast enough," he explained lowering his head. Harry felt his heart drop to his stomach, "Ron, you did wonderfully," came the low murmur of Hermione's voice. Both young men met the eyes of their injured friend, "Hermione, he's gone. It's over," Harry said to her, despair circulating throughout his body. Hermione squeezed his hand, smiled lazily and whispered, "You're free, Harry."

Tears threatened to fall from the eyes of the young men, but both held them back. Hermione's voice quivered as she spoke to her redheaded friend, "Ron, you're my brother and I love you. Be sure to treat Luna right." Ron bit back a sob and replied, "I love you, Herms," laying a watery kiss on her forehead as the tears began to fall from his eyes. Hermione slowly turned her head to Harry, his bright green eyes meeting her opaque brown eyes. "Harry, I love you. I wish I had said it sooner, but I do, more than anything," she said quietly, silent tears leaking from the corners of her eyes. Harry felt his heart swell and break, "I love you, Mione," he whispered to her laying a kiss on her lips. As he pulled away her grip on their hands went limp.