Unofficial Portkey Archive

Give Me Another Chance by DarthMittens
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Give Me Another Chance

DarthMittens

Summary: When Harry confesses his love to Hermione, she lies, telling him that she loves Ron. Harry leaves and Hermione realizes her mistake. Her and Ron's relationship quickly crumbles. 3 years later, as a professor at Hogwarts, Hermione has the opportunity to rectify the mistake that has been haunting her every minute of every day since that fateful night. But will Harry listen to her? Who will help Hermione in her quest for Harry's heart?

A special thanks to Lycus (fanfiction.net) for giving me the idea for this story, and just to let you all know, this prologue is going to be from Harry's point of view, but I think that the rest of it is going to be from Hermione's and another character(s) that has/have yet to be named.

Please Enjoy!

Give Me Another Chance

Prologue: Confessions of the Heart

25-year-old Harry Potter slowly walked up the sidewalk to Hermione's house twirling the single ruby rose he had picked on his way. His hands were trembling and his legs seemed ready to give out from under him. He still had no idea what he was going to say to Hermione-he always performed better when going spur-of-the-moment anyway.

Harry was deeply and madly in love with Hermione, and could envision spending the rest of his life with her. She completed him, and he would do anything for her.

Harry had actually been in love with Hermione for two or three years now and had yet to tell her. The reason he hadn't told her yet was because there was a problem: Ron. Hermione had been going out with Ron for a little over five years now. The only light at the end of the tunnel was that Hermione had denied all four of Ron's marriage proposals, claiming that she wasn't ready yet. Harry hoped this meant that Hermione wasn't truly in love with Ron, and that she might actually give him a chance. But then again, it could've just meant that Ron had not yet stopped badgering her about giving up her position as Transfiguration Professor, which she had now held for two years, so they could start a proper family.

So here Harry was, sweat beading on his forehead and hand poised to knock. He used his arm to wipe the sweat off his head and wiped his also-sweaty hand on his jeans as an excuse to delay the moment of truth for as long as possible.

"Here goes nothing," Harry muttered to himself before finally knocking on the door.

Hermione opened it dressed in her pajamas, which consisted of small shorts and an overlarge T-shirt. She smiled at Harry, who had to lean on the doorframe because his knees went weak. "Hi, Harry! It's great to see you, but…why are you here unexpectedly at nine at night?"

"Hermione…er…" Harry's mouth didn't seem to be working, so he wordlessly held out the rose.

"Thanks, Harry!" said Hermione, who took the rose and smiled at Harry again.

"Yeah…er…sure," said Harry. Hermione was starting to look at him weirdly, so he decided to go for it before things got too out of hand. "Hermione, the reason I'm here is to tell you something. I want to tell you that I think you are the most beautiful and wonderful woman a guy could know, and that I am completely and utterly in love with you. I couldn't hold it in any longer, I just had to let you know before it was too late," finished Harry.

Hermione stared at Harry in shock, a tense silence enveloping them. Harry could see the cogs and wheels turning furiously behind Hermione's eyes, her brain trying to understand what was happening. As the seconds ticked by Harry's heart and hopes fell lower-he knew now that he had made a mistake and had definitely changed his relationship with Hermione…in a very bad way.

Finally, after what seemed like forever to Harry, Hermione spoke, her eyes full of tears. She whispered, "I'm sorry, Harry. Just to let you know though, you weren't too late. You just…it just wasn't meant to be. I love and always have loved Ron."

A/N: Hmmm. Poor Harry.

I promise you that this was just a really short prologue and that the actual chapters of the story are going to be about 2,000 words long.

I hope you enjoyed it, and Please Review!