Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Battle School by Kwan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Battle School

Kwan

"Who's up next?"

Blaise slid into the seat next to Harry as the Boy-Who-Lived retrieved his timetable. The never-ending rotations continued and Harry spared a glance at the Lists. For the Third Years, Slytherin was currently first due to their victory against Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff was second due to their victory against Gryffindor. Since Slytherin defeated Ravenclaw by a larger margin, numerically and strategically, they were placed ahead.

Unfortunately, the blockbuster start with the Master List had faded somewhat as Harry continued to slip. He was in 28th place now, which was still far ahead of the rest of his classmates, but definitely not 10th. His showing against Zach from Hufflepuff didn't do him any favors even though he had dispatched him in record time. There would be time again for individual duels, but Harry switched his focus to the next House match.

"Take a look at that." Blaise grinned conspiratorially as he pointed at the timetable. "Looks like Hufflepuff is up next."

Harry glanced towards the black and yellow table to find their current target. Justin Finch-Fletchley was sandwiched between Zach and Ernie MacMillan. His head was down, held low to his food and he was seated so his back was to the Slytherin table. That was no coincidence. Harry also surmised the fact that Susan Bones sitting so far away from Justin was also no coincidence.

"Do we have an eye on the Hufflepuff room?" Harry wanted to know.

"I have a group of First Years around the clock, two Galleons for two hours each. There's an alcove next to the barrels that keep them hidden and an eye on the room. So far nothing, but I think it's only a matter of time before the wanker goes and finds his masters," Blaise answered.

"Where do you get all this money?"

"My Mum has a habit of...getting value from her marriages."

"Value indeed," Harry murmured as he watched Justin eat. He meant to unnerve the blond boy with the Great Hall stunt and if his expression in the immediate aftermath was any indication, their ruse was largely successful. All that was left was for Justin to lead them back to the rest of the bullies.

"The First Years - you've instructed them to just watch, right? It won't do us any good for them to be found."

"I picked the tiniest and most cowardly finds I could find. Peter and Thomas if you want to know their names." Blaise jutted his chin towards the other end of the table to a pair of mousy boys who were currently teasing one of the First Year girls.

"No, that's fine. Just make sure they don't get caught."

Blaise suddenly nudged Harry's side not so discretely. "Incoming."

Incoming indeed. Draco Malfoy was making his way towards them, a purposeful stride full of self importance. The blond wonder had quieted down somewhat after the rest of Slytherin disobeyed his orders during their House match against Ravenclaw, but he was far too full of himself to keep away for too long.

"Hello, Tracey," Draco flashed a cool smile at her. "I was wondering if I could talk to you alone."

Harry fully expected her to brush him off, but to his surprise, she smiled and said, "Sure."

What's this all about?

Harry tried to give her a questioning glance, but she barely spared him a look. Instead, she stood up and followed Draco out of the Great Hall without so much as a good-bye to them. Harry followed them carefully, watching as they appeared to chat animatedly.

"What's she on about?" Harry wondered aloud.

"Suppose we'll take a look?" Blaise offered, but Harry was already half-way out of his seat, following the pair as they exited the Great Hall.

"Guess we will," Blaise muttered.

Harry followed the path he saw them take, turning left out of the Great Hall into an adjacent corridor. He paused as he heard voices, signaling for Blaise to do the same as they crept closer without risking detection. Harry heard that melodic laugh of Tracey's and wondered what in the world Malfoy could possibly say that would elicit such a response.

"...I know what you mean. My parents are on me about it all the time," she said.

"I don't think having rich parents are the only thing we have in common." The smugness in Draco's voice was almost too much for Harry to bear. "Why do you hang out with those losers anyways? Potter's a Half-Blood and Zabini's Mum has gotten around more than Wenchy Wilda."

"Well, he is the Boy-Who-Lived."

Harry and Blaise turned to each other with inquisitive expressions. This just didn't sound like Tracey at all. Why would she say such things?

Draco characteristically snorted at the description. "My father doesn't think so highly of him, but I suppose it is important to Slytherin. I'm more interested in us though."

"Us?" She teased coquettishly.

"Come to Hogsmeade with me. It'll be a precursor to visiting the Manor over break."

"I've heard grand things about the Manor. A very large estate."

"My Mum has wanted to see a visit for quite some time. What do you say, Trace?"

Harry could see Tracey hemming and hawing and he hoped she would end the charade and tell him no. Instead, she smiled and answered, "I'll have to think about it but it does sound very tempting."

There was some more flirting and back and forth repartee, but Harry slumped back against the wall, annoyed and tense. Blaise looked more surprised than anything else, yet continued listening to the conversation, ever the gossiper. Harry didn't want to hear anymore.

"Come on," Harry tugged Blaise's arm. "Let's go prepare for Hufflepuff."

"But..." Blaise gestured towards the conversing couple.

"Now, Blaise," Harry glowered.

* * * * * *

Harry avoided sitting next to Blaise or Tracey during the next period of Magical Creatures. Instead, he sat in the front besides a beleaguered Padma Patil. She looked at him as if he had grown a tail when he plopped down next to her, but one stricken look shut her up. He could feel Tracey's eyes on him but his annoyance with her stayed with him throughout the period. Concentrating on Professor Lupin's lesson on dragons, Harry hastily gathered his things at the end of the period and scurried away to Strategy class, this time sitting next to Granger.

She looked slightly alarmed as he sat down with her.

"What are you doing?" she hissed, already attracting curious looks from the rest of the Gryffindors.

"Sitting. Isn't it obvious?"

"What are you doing?" Weasley echoed, reinforcing the dimness of Gryffindor. He stood next to him, towering above him with his prepubescent growth spurt.

By now, even the Slytherins were eying him curiously, wondering why he was seated next to Granger. Longbottom bundled in and stopped on the spot, looking back and forth between he and Granger.

"What are you doing?" he asked, but Harry didn't know if it was directed to himself or the fellow Gryffindor.

Merlin, are they all so dense?

"Last I checked, Mr. Potter has a right to sit where he chooses."

It was Professor Trow, coming to complete the circle of befuddled Gryffindors standing around Harry and Hermione. He looked at Weasley and Longbottom, not quite glaring but sternly in such a manner that would have made the crabby McGonagall proud.

Weasley and Longbottom took their time picking their seats, Weasley glaring at Harry and Longbottom sending furtive glances towards Granger. Luckily, Granger seemed to have taken it in stride, ignoring everyone around them as she brought forth her usual writing materials. Harry chanced a look at Blaise and one dark, arched eyebrow was all he needed to relay. Tracey was plaintively looking at her desk.

Oddly, Harry felt a strange sense of satisfaction from that.

"Shall we begin?" Trow opened with a question but it was a formality.

"At some point in time, you will find yourself at a disadvantage. Maybe you lost a couple members earlier in a match. Maybe you were purposefully set up to lose. Either way, despair will run high when you are outnumbered. To counter-act this, you must calm yourselves and look at the big picture, so to speak. You will not suddenly wipe out your numerous enemies. None of you are that strong. Instead, you must stay on the course and gain ground meter by meter."

The projection screen at the front of the classroom rolled down again as Trow stepped behind the projector. He inserted a roll and clicked the side of the contraption, playing it for the class.

"This is Gryffindor vs. Slytherin five years ago. The Slytherins lost an early number in the match and are whittled down to a force of four versus nine. As you can see, this setting is particularly difficult. They are on a jagged mountain edge where elevation is a key problem. Does anyone want to posit as to how Slytherin should proceed?"

Granger's hand immediately shot up, her face determined as she stared at the projection on the screen.

"Ms. Granger?"

Clearing her throat, she said, "They should consolidate their forces and take the high ground, forcing the Gryffindors to attack them from a weaker position."

"That would be the correct assumption. Gryffindor also knows this and will attempt to cut them off as so." Trow swished his wand and the replay resumed, showing the Gryffindors taking a protective position against a pathway that led to higher ground.

"Anyone?" Trow walked around calmly, his wand lightly bouncing in his hand.

"Patience." Tracey spoke up, glancing down at Harry momentarily before she continued. "The Slytherins need to be patient and lure the Gryffindors down the mountain towards them. The Gryffindors will be weary of leaving the high ground, but that's the only way the Slytherins can win if the Gryffindors blocked it off."

Without really thinking, Harry responded immediately, "I think they should concentrate the rest of their group and try to punch a hole to the top. Once there, they can double back and defend from their superior position. No point in...hiding."

Trow stood at the front of the class and opened his arms. "What do you think class? Who agrees with Ms. Davis? Who thinks Mr. Potter is right?"

The Gryffindors shifted uncomfortably, seeing as how their house wasn't represented in the answer. Fortunately, one of them remembered they were known as the house of bravery.

"I think Tracey's right," Granger said.

This time, Harry couldn't repress the eye roll as the girl next to him spoke up. Must everything always be about being right with her? Internally, a slight tinge of annoyance twanged within his chest. Was he wrong? The Gryffindors, following Granger's lead, unanimously raised their hands in favor of Tracey's plan.

"And for Mr. Potter's?" Trow asked.

A hesitant raising of hands - Daphne, Goyle, Crabbe, Nott - was all the support Harry received. Blaise had raised his hand for Tracey as had Malfoy. The latter infuriated Harry even more so, bringing him to a palpable simmer. Granger turned to look at him, only raising her eyebrows in surprise.

"The majority of the class would be correct. It would be much more advantageous if the Slytherins allowed the Gryffindors to follow them down the cliff side," Trow answered diplomatically.

"That's rather cowardly of them," Harry petulantly replied.

There was a sharp, feminine intake of breath from behind him. Yet, Harry didn't turn, only staring placidly at a bemused Trow.

"It is not cowardice to retreat in the face of insurmountable odds, Mr. Potter. Sometimes the best move is to tactically fall back in order to play off the arrogance of the enemy."

"Well, I think that's suspending self-belief. They could take them on."

"Perhaps...but relying on the power superiority of ones self is no way to devise a battle plan, Mr. Potter. This group of Slytherins may be stronger, but there is no quantifiable way to measure that. That possible superior talent might also be negated by the elevation disadvantage. It is far more potent to conduct a battle plan based on tactics and strategy than the foolhardy belief of ones invincibility."

It wasn't patronizing or lecturing or demeaning, but Trow definitely reeled off the explanation in such a manner that shut Harry up. For once, Harry wasn't leaning forward at the edge of his seat. Instead, he slumped backwards, crossing his arms as he stared at the projection defiantly. Continuing, Trow swished his wand and watched Slytherin do exactly what Harry said.

The group of four crept up the smaller pathway to higher ground, stealthily moving from boulder to boulder to avoid detection for as long as possible. The Gryffindors had split up into a group of 4 and a group of 5 to guard the two pathways upwards. The Slytherins sprung at once, trying to blast their way upwards to regain the advantage and for a moment, it looked to have worked. But the Gryffindors quickly regained their composure and beat them down until there was only one Slytherin left.

"As you can see, it was foolish of the Slytherins to try and engage them from a lesser position. The lesson to learn here is that it is okay to retreat. Sometimes, subterfuge is the better option."

Trow ended his lesson and didn't say anything else, but Harry couldn't help but feel that the old man's eyes were lingering on him as he left the classroom.

* * * * *

Harry beat a straight line towards the Room of Requirement, hoping to head off any of the other Slytherins making their way there. He was steaming from that lesson and needed a moment to cool off before entering Battle class. This was especially true given their next opponent. He was looking forward to challenging Hufflepuff. A fast clatter of footsteps indicated he wasn't alone, however. Harry didn't turn, keeping up his brisk pace as he veered around the corridor with his bag strapped tightly to his side.

"Harry, wait!"

Retreat! Retreat!

"Harry, stop!"

A breathless Tracey Davis finally caught up with the enigmatic Boy-Who-Lived. She huffed as she slowed down, finally in step with him though he still kept the same pace.

"I need to talk to you," she said between heavy breathes.

"Well, come on, hurry."

"Slow down, dammit!"

She forcefully tugged on his arm, bringing them to a stand still in the middle of the corridor between classes. A few older Ravenclaws dawdled by, staring at them curiously but one annoyed glance from Harry sent them on their way. There were still a few perks from being the boy who defeated a Dark Lord, age be damned.

"Tracey, what is it? We have Battle class next." Harry shrugged off her arm, acutely uncomfortable with the physical contact. Normally, he wouldn't have minded from her, but this was a extenuating circumstance.

"It's about this morning." She glared at him incredulously. "I need to talk to you about Malfoy."

Harry pursed his limps impatiently, tapping his foot on the ground as he waited for her to continue. Tracey stuck her tongue along her cheek, still miffed that he was in such a hurry.

"I talked to him this morning to try and get a better feel." Harry cringed at the choice of words. "I wanted to see if he knew anything about the attacks on you. I didn't get a straight answer, but I think I can pry something out of him if I continue pretending that I'm interested."

"Pretending?"

"Yeah. I figured that was the best way to get some information out of him."

"Is that so?"

Harry felt...relieved? He didn't know if that was the exact feeling after hearing the words of out Tracey's mouth but it was something akin to that. The realization that Tracey was playing Malfoy definitely inspired a better feeling than the current brew that was residing in his chest.

"That's good," Harry murmured. Still, he started walking, albeit at a much slower pace. "If we can get Malfoy to start yapping away then we can rule out Slytherin even faster."

"Exactly!"

Tracey fleshed out the details of their conversation, but Harry tuned her out, already having listened to it. He considered telling her about their eavesdropping but thought better of it. Reminding himself to tell Blaise the same, Harry was in much better spirits as he arrived at the door of the Room of Requirement. Spotting Finch-Fletchley, Harry nodded at Blaise as he saw the dark-skinned boy arrive.

Blaise subtly nodded back, already privy to their arranged agreement should one of them encounter Justin alone. The Hufflepuff looked none at ease as he stood, clustered within his own House. It took a moment before the Headmaster arrived, clipping along with his usual languid walk. Staring down at them from his nose, the professor walked three times across the door of the Room.

"The Hufflepuffs will enter first. Given the construct, the Slytherins will enter next but will be on the opposite side. I will be watching."

The instructions were simple and straight forward as always. The Headmaster was not a person of frills and frivolities. Hufflepuff did indeed enter first, but Harry made sure to catch Justin's eye as the boy entered.

I'm coming for you, Harry thought, hoping Justin could hear.

The Slytherins were next, entering the Room in single file. Harry was last and as the door closed behind him, he marveled at what Snape's mind had created.

* * * * * *

The buildings stretched into the sky, tan and dilapidated but still standing. It was an entire city, filled with tight alleys and garbage that filled Harry's nostrils with an odor akin to a Dungbomb. The sun overhead cast a harsh, trapping heat that was only made worse by the swirling wind. It was the wind that irritated him the most, full of sand and suffocation that forced him to squint.

"Well, bloody hell..." Malfoy uttered.

For once, Harry agreed with him.

If Snape stated that Hufflepuff started opposite to them, then that would mean they would be directly forward through the buildings. Yet, Harry doubted the Hufflepuffs would take a straight line. Judging by what he knew of the House, they would most likely move in one, large group, trying to stay together for solidarity's sake.

"On me!" Harry yelled as he rushed towards the buildings, not wanting to stand out in the open desert.

Harry had hoped to enter one of the buildings but found no doors on them. Looking around, he quickly surmised that none of the buildings had doors. Snape meant for them to find this battle outside in the crowded alleys, an environmental trap.

"Buildings are closed off," Blaise had to raise his voice over the din of the wind. "These alleys aren't going to be helpful, Harry."

"I don't think there's a way of telling how far they are, Potter." Pansy leaned across a corner, weary of the distance between themselves and the Hufflepuffs. "Or how big this scenario is."

Buildings prevented any further sight line and all that surrounded them was an endless, monotonous desert. The fight would be had within, the only question was where. Harry didn't like that one bit. It was one thing to fight without knowing where the enemy was, but fighting blind in tight corners and alleys would quickly deteriorate into a massive free for all. He didn't quite judge the discipline of his House just yet. The Slytherins were supposed to be better at subterfuge, but so far, Harry lead them in a more conventional manner. There had to be something else.

Harry coughed, trying to breath as little of the biting wind as he could. Tucking into an alcove, Harry motioned for them to gather around. Even Malfoy, ever the power-obsessed runt, looked uncomfortable at the prospect of facing the Hufflepuffs in such close quarters. Everyone knew he, of all people, didn't like getting his hands dirty.

Quickly. Quickly now.

"Blaise, Tracey, go a block down and keep an eye out. I'll signal you when we need to regroup. Everyone else..."

Harry trailed off as he looked upwards. It was their only shot of gaining an upper hand.

"Someone conjure a rope," Harry ordered.

Daphne managed to transfigure one out of a clay pot that was jammed against a wall. Taking aim, Harry pinned it to the top of one of the buildings. Giving it a testing tug, Harry was assured of its viability.

"What's that for, Potter?" Malfoy asked, pushing his quickly disheveled blond hair out of his eyes.

"One second." Harry made sure to fasten his gray robes around him, not wanting any stray pieces to get caught on any potential debris above.

"Split into two groups and run parallel to each other. That way, you can flank them when you find them. Malfoy, head one group. Nott and Pansy, follow Blaise and Tracey."

"Now, wait just one second Potter..." Pansy placed her hands on her hips.

"No time," Harry quickly cut her off. "Travel parallel going Northeast. They won't take a steady course and that's my best bet. When you see the green sparks, that's where they are. Prepare for a lot of spells coming at you and keep your heads with it." Harry had to emphasize the last part, not wanting them to fall into a panic in such sequestered corridors.

"But what are you going to do?" Nott wondered.

"Get you some eyes from above."

Harry reeled in Tracey and Blaise and repeated the instructions. They had the same questions as how he would locate the Hufflepuffs ahead of them. Not wanting to waste any time, Harry relayed a few more directions as he walked over to the rope that was still attached to the top of the tallest building in their sight.

"Just follow the green sparks. That's where they'll be," Harry said one last time.

"But Harry, what are you doing?" Tracey bewilderedly asked.

"Go!" Harry yelled as the roar of the wind grew louder.

"Ascencio!"

The rope quickly retracted, jolting Harry off his feet and for a second, he almost lost his grip. Fortunately, he held tight as the wind whistled through his ears, his stomach wobbly from the sudden ascent. It was supposed to a house cleaning spell but Harry reverse engineered it to slingshot him towards the roof. He tucked his head in, feeling his glasses slip from the bridge of his nose.

Suddenly, there was a moment of zero gravity as Harry hung suspended once the rope disappeared. Swinging himself forward from the momentum, Harry collapsed on the roof awkwardly, his knees bashing against the rough concrete. Wincing slightly, Harry looked over the edge at the small dots below. He couldn't see their facial expressions but judging from their lack of movement, they were more than a little surprised.

Go!

Harry mentally yelled at them and waived his arm in a wheel, telling them to move forward. Someone must have finally snapped out of it as they split into the two groups he ordered and started their trek northeast. Harry watched them for a moment before standing up, wrapping his combat robes tightly around him.

The wind was even louder and faster at this altitude and Harry had to keep a hand over his mouth to breathe correctly. His heart raced, seeing the outlay before him. The city extended for a couple miles before abruptly ending into another oblivious desert. It was roughly a square that extended nearly 15 to 20 blocks. A large distance and even though the setting was a bit different, Harry knew what it was supposed to be.

A maze.

Walking forward, Harry peered over the edge, trying to judge the distance to the next building. It was a clearing of less than ten feet and the elevation was to his advantage. The most difficult part would be aiming the Cushioning Charm in mid-air so he didn't break his legs from the jump. Hopefully, each building would bring him closer to the Hufflepuffs and keep him ahead of the Slytherins so he could warn them in time.

Taking a few steps back, Harry pulled his robes tightly around him again. Breathing deeply, Harry tried to calm his suddenly racing heart. It was a dangerous prospect and Harry didn't know what would happen if he didn't make the jump. Would he die? Would he suffer any damage? How far was Snape willing to let this go? Judging from previous simulations, Harry knew there would be a certain amount of pain to it. He doubted he would actually die, but it would definitely be gratuitously painful. Could he do it?

Oh sod it all.

Harry broke into a run, hoping he timed the steps right and launched himself into the air, his legs still kicking as he gave an almighty yell. Pointing his wand at the building below, Harry only had a split second to yell, "Arresto Momentum!"

It worked!

His feet landed softly on the building, sparing him of a painful jarring of his legs. Harry laughed, the shot of adrenaline getting the best of him as he temporarily forgot the biting air and the looming battle ahead. For a moment, he was just a boy leaping across chasms. His smile faded as he collected himself, the sobering reminder that Hufflepuff was marching along without the Slytherins knowing yet.

Continuing the process, Harry leaped from building to building, making sure to check all the corners for any movement. He was halfway across the improvised city when he spotted them. It was a long column of dull, gray robes pockmarked with yellow badges. He was right. The Hufflepuffs moved as one, snaking along the alleys in one monolithic group. The last time he spotted the Slytherins, they were due east at about 4 blocks.

Pointing his wand in the air, Harry shot green sparks in the air. After a moment's pause, Harry spotted four Slytherins slinking around a corner, heading towards the Hufflepuffs. The plan was working. Harry then lay flat on the roof, watching the Hufflepuff group slowly make its way South. He started counting them, trying to see if he could find a way to ensure all of their locations.

Seven, Eight, Nine...

There is no ten.

Harry rolled as the spell splashed against the ground near him. In one smooth and practiced motion, he came to his feet with his wand drawn in the ready position and found himself face to face with Justin Finch-Fletchley. He tried to recall Granger's notes about him, but he was filled with anger and sharply attuned vengeance. The suddenly spastic winds didn't help his concentration either.

"Bombarda! Flangella!"

They were spells meant to harm, Harry knew, as he dodged them nimbly. Justin was on the same rooftop and had the momentary advantage, but Harry knew he was the better duel. The shouts below alerted a greater duel, but Harry quickly zeroed in on the target before him. They traded spells again, a sparring blow that was deflected by quickly summoned shields and feints. Unusually, Justin had a plan that forced Harry to keep on his toes. Justin was occupying the middle of the roof while keeping Harry on the outside. Thus, Harry was constantly forced to check his heels as to not topple over the edge to a potentially deadly fall.

Frustrated, Harry tried to press him backwards but Justin fought with some renewed courage, holding his ground at Harry's brute force attack. Parrying, Justin sent Harry reeling backwards with a series of spells that were definitely not in Granger's notebook. Pushed back against the edge, Harry made the only logical move. Sprinting towards the edge, Harry hurtled over the chasm, leaping towards the adjacent building. By now, timing the Cushioning Charm was routine and Harry landed gracefully again. He about faced, prepared to snipe Justin as he peeked over the edge to see Harry's demise.

Instead, he was greeted with another body hurtling through the air.

Harry tried to hit Justin in mid-air but missed, mostly from surprise. Unfortunately, Justin didn't know the trick of the Cushioning Charm. He was too close to the edge and lost his balance, flinging his wand away from him as he toppled over the edge.

He must have watched me and didn't know about the Cushioning Charm from a distance.

Yet, Harry could still see Justin's fingers grasping the edge. Walking towards the edge of the roof, Harry found that the battle was ironically going on before them. Slytherin seemed to be on the winning edge judging from the number of green badges to yellow badges, but it was hard to tell from the high distance.

I should let him fall.

It wouldn't kill him, the fall. At worst, he would suffer some serious breaks but it was only about twenty feet. Surely, Snape wouldn't let a fatality befall upon his precious program. Still, Harry felt utterly compelled to let Justin fall. After all, would the Hufflepuff do the same?

Let him fall! Let him fall!

The voice inside his head urged him to do so, seeking revenge for the attack upon him weeks earlier. Years and years from trying to placate Dudley taught him that he would just take advantage of him again. Harry shook his head, looking down at Justin.

"Potter!" he yelled, his knuckles growing red from exertion.

Harry looked down at him, caught in an internal struggle as he lowered his wand, spotting Justin's far off. There was a bubbling in his chest, an anticipation that screamed for inaction. A sweeping sensation blinded him momentarily as he envisioned Justin letting go and falling into the crowd below.

"Bloody hell..." Harry muttered as he fell to one knee.

"POTTER!"

He could still let him go. He could still let him fall. But could he? Was he that person? He could be. It would be so easy to be...

"Bloody, bloody, Merlin, dammit," Harry cursed profusely as he fell into a complete crouch.

"POTTER!"

"Yeah, yeah, shut up, Justin. I should let you fall," Harry grumbled as he extended his hand.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a lull in the fighting as they ground forces all looked up. Even those caught in mid-duel were staring up at the pair in confusion. Harry wondered if they realized the stupidity of pausing their fight just to witness the spectacle, but Justin's next movement shocked him.

"We see you, Potter," Justin whispered, a manic smile splitting his face.

Then, he let go.

Harry lunged forward, almost falling himself in an attempt to grab Justin's hand, but it was too late. In retrospect, Harry realized that same Cushioning Charm could have been used to arrest Justin's fall but he was still too deep in shock to act so quickly.

Why would he...why would he do that?

Justin collapsed with a sickening thud, surely breaking at least one bone on the way down. All the fighting had stopped as the remaining duelists looked up at him and even at this distance, Harry could see the prevalent expression on their faces.

Horror.

* * * * *

"My Lord?"

"Yes, Peter?"

"We need to move."

"I know, I just want to see the view."

"Quickly, My Lord. Muggles are coming."

"Always with the filthy Muggles. I've only returned to this body, Peter. Might I have a moment?"

"Y-y-y-yes...of course..."

"Don't be afraid, Peter. I'm not what I once was. Punishing would be useless, an avarice of narcissism. There are far more efficient ways to compel you."

"Why...of course, My Lord. Whatever you command."

"Don't grovel. This time will be different. I have seen the error of my ways."

"Then we should continue on, My Lord. Much work is to be done still."

"Of course. Lead the way, Peter."

* * * * * *

A/N: Well that timeline wasn't met at all. Still, it kept me on track until the break derailed it so I'll continue. I enjoyed writing this chapter and I have a bunch of treats in store for you guys for the holidays. Thank you again for all the great reviews and I hope to keep closer to my time line this time.

Estimated update time: 11 days

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->