Unofficial Portkey Archive

War Widow by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

War Widow

sticknsnitches

The first two days at Grimmauld on their own weren't as bad as she had feared. Hermione reacquainted herself with the Black family library while Ron was taking one of his frequent naps, and the rest of the time they caught up with each other.

He even asked about her course work, and she enthusiastically began to tell him what she had been studying and what her paper was about until she was interrupted by the sound of him snoring. There was no extra dessert for him that night.

By the second day, even Ron had to admit he was getting bored and told her over dinner he planned on going back to the Burrow the next day. Hermione said she thought it was a good idea. She knew he was missing Luna, who knew he was better and not dead, but hadn't been able to see him since he'd left the hospital.

The Weasleys had already issued a statement saying there had been a mix-up at St.Mungo's and that they were happy to report Ron wasn't dead but had been transferred to another location to complete his recovery.

They hoped this would be enough to put their attackers off the track. Ron still wasn't thrilled about being under house arrest, but at least Luna could come see him at the Burrow.

Hermione didn't want Ron to go, but tried not to let him see. The next morning he stood at the front door with a bag over his shoulder promising to floo her that night. All she could do was nod tightly and give him a hug. Then the door was shut and he was gone.

She wasn't sure how long she stood with her head pressed against the door, but eventually she pulled away and went back to the kitchen. Two plates and two mugs didn't take long to wash, even doing them the muggle way. The house seemed to grow around her and its dark and dankness was beginning to affect her.

The library was looking better under her care. She kept at it to give herself something to do and lamented that she had left her computer in France, although she wasn't sure it would work with the magical interference.

The third night was rough. Harry had now been gone longer than she had been with him after he'd shown up in that rented room in France. She was beginning to get truly worried.

Ron floo'd her as promised, and Luna was by his side. Hermione spent a pleasant and welcome twenty minutes talking with them, but when the fire went out she was once again alone in the oppressive house.

She spent most of day four tracking down some small pixie like creature that had escaped from a book she'd opened. Finally, in the late afternoon, after using every spell she could think of she found the little thing asleep in a dusty unused room on the third floor. She captured it in a conjured jar and left it there while she researched how to get rid of it.

That night she slept without dreaming.

Day five she didn't get out of Harry's jersey. She didn't know how much longer she could be expected to go on with no information, no contact, and with nothing to do. Mrs. Weasley popped in once to bring her a tart, but the girls were at the Burrow with Ron. Fleur wasn't coming back until later that day, and Molly didn't want to leave them too long with their uncle.

Hermione ate the tart for dinner, straight out of the container, not caring. That night she decided she'd had enough. She had a plan. One hour. She'd apparate into Diagon Alley, go to Gringrotts, get some new clothes at Madam Malkins, and run by Flourish and Blotts. One hour and she'd be back. No one knew she was in England and there was no reason to assume that she was. Surely Harry would understand. It had been almost a week since the last attack. Cautious was one thing, but paranoid was an entirely different beast.

She had worked out any possible argument anyone could have had with her and knew she was right. It would be fine.

She made herself wait until the afternoon when the morning shoppers and lunch crowd would be gone. It would make her trip all that much quicker and might not even take an hour.

Her magical confidence was back in full force and she didn't think twice before apparating. She arrived right behind the Leaky Cauldron and took a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air.

Hermione kept her head down and walked purposely down the street, heading for the bank. She didn't want to risk being recognized, and her reappearance after being gone for so long would surely cause a stir.

The reconstruction looked like it had gone well and most of the shops had reopened. She was tempted to take her time and browse, but she stuck to her plan.

Gringotts took longer than she expected and half her allotted time was taken exchanging Muggle currency for galleons. She was irritated when she left and decided to cut out the trip to Madam Malkins. Maybe Mrs. Weasley could get Ginny to lend her some clothes.

She wasn't going to miss Flourish and Blotts, and not because it was the bookstore. She had vowed to become proficient in healing spells and intended to do just that.

Hermione was about to cross the street in front of WWW when she saw George headed towards her. He lifted a hand in recognition but didn't call out.

"Hello Hermione, Harry back?" he asked when they met up.

"No. Not yet. Just wanted to pop out for a few and get a couple of things," she responded, trying to sound nonchalant.

He gave her an appraising look. "Why don't you come in and see the shop. You left before it was reopened."

"No really, I need to run across the street and then..."

"Come on...I'll let you chastise me on the more questionable merchandise," he teased.

She looked up as if exasperated and the large, brightly lit sign above the shop flashed a the twin cartoonish faces of George and Fred.

With a sigh she conceded defeat. "Five minutes, we'll save the chastisement for another day."

They hadn't been in the shop two minutes when a silver patronus raced in from the back.

"Mum!" George shouted and Hermione immediately drew her wand.

Molly's ghostly vision was before them. "Attack at the Burrow. Not safe. Go to the house," and then it faded.

George whirled on Hermione. "Go. Now!"

She didn't need to be told twice.

Dashing into the street she knew she needed to be ten yards from the store's anti-apparition wards that were in place to prevent theft. She almost made it. And then she heard the unmistakable sound of three loud and terrifying apparations.

She turned on her heel while still moving forward. Halfway down the street, stalking towards her were three wizards, all in black, and all with raised wands. Her steps faltered at the sight.

She wasn't going to make it.

Firing over her shoulder she tried to make it harder on them but then she heard the sound of spellfire being returned. One went by so close she could feel it.

She abandoned the plan of apparating and headed back towards the shops looking for cover. A silver patronus raced past her and she assumed it was George sending a message to Bill.

People were screaming in the streets. She saw parents pushing their children into shops and others were fleeing as fast as they could. Frantic pops of apparation could be heard from every direction.

George tumbled out of the shop and fired towards the attackers as he tried to make his way towards her. He was forced into an alleyway and she could see his eyes wide with fear as he looked for her.

She didn't have as good a hiding place as George did. One reducto and the bin she was behind would be nothing but splinters and would most likely take her with it. She'd have to try and make it to the next building. It was solid brick and from behind it she'd have some protection.

Taking a deep breath she steeled herself and then, firing as many spells as she could to give herself a bit of a head start, she ran. She could hear George firing as well, trying to do his best to cover her.

Hermione whipped her head to look over her left shoulder and saw the purple flame just before it hit. She managed to twist out of the way, but not enough. It caught her partly in the back. A strangled scream came out of her as she struggled to keep conscious, fell to her knees, and almost lost her wand.

Much too slowly she got back to her feet. George had managed to engage the three and she thought she had a chance to reach the building. There was frantic shouting from ahead and she looked up to see Bill Weasley charging towards her. He was trying to tell her something but she couldn't hear him.

The structure she'd set her sights on was another thirty yards but it may as well have been thirty miles. Something felt wrong inside her. The adrenaline coursing through her was keeping the curse at bay but she knew it wasn't good.

She stumbled and a green flash went over her head. Scrabbling back to her feet with a guttural yell she kept moving. They were closer now.

Bill was almost to her. Almost. She saw his mouth moving while he fired curses and he was still trying to tell her something. Angling her body so she could see where they were she realized there were only two attackers left. George must have gotten one of them. A surge of elation went through her, but it was short lived.

The assailants wore heavy dark hoods and she couldn't see their faces, but the one on the left wasn't even acknowledging George or Bill and was just hunting her.

She turned to yell at Bill, "The left!" she shouted and then looked back. Too late to put up a shield charm, the slashing gesture he made before the curse fired was violent and then it hit her.

The curse tore through her side. She hadn't known pain before. This was so white hot it almost felt cold. She went straight back, her wand rolling out of her outstretched hand. Her head bounced hard on the ground and all she could see was sky.

Suddenly someone grabbed her arm and she was being dragged backwards. She knew she yelled out, couldn't help it. It was too much. Too much.

She raised a hand automatically and covered where the pain was coming from. It was hot and wet. So much hotter than she thought it would be. When she looked down, all she could see is red. She pressed and it didn't hurt. She thought it should.

Someone, Bill she assumed, was by her side. There was a strangled curse and then another set of hands on top of her own. Now it hurts. She moaned and there were spots in front of her eyes.

She could hear something: Her name. She forced her eyes to move until she could see Bill's wide eyes. He was pale, the scars on his face vivid. He turned from her, his body blocking what was happening on the street and she knew he was aiming at the two remaining attackers.

Bill spoke to her again, but she couldn't make it out and she was beginning to feel cold. She vaguely heard, "I'm sorry," before he pointed his wand at her. "Enervate!" he cast, and her body bowed like it had been hit with electricity.

Hermione felt like she was humming. Then everything cleared and she could hear the sounds of the street. Bill was firing back and thrust her wand into her hand. "We need you."

He helped her sit up. Hermione had to keep a hand pressed on her side, convinced she may fall apart if she didn't. She found she couldn't stand, tried digging her heels in the dirt and pushing, only to find it was agony. Bill helped pull her back some more and then they moved far enough back to see the ones coming after her as soon as they came around the corner. It was the only advantage they had.

"Make it count," Bill said and all she could manage was a nod as she tried not to whimper. She readjusted the grip on her wand. It was slick with blood and hard to hold.

The sun assisted them and they saw the shadows first. Bill let out a volley of hexes and curses, some she had never seen before. She knew she only had the strength for one, and like Bill said, she needed to make it count.

Then they were there.

"Confringo!" she roared and she and Bill were thrown back by the force of the blast. The corner of the building they were next to caved in and the fire ball rose four stories. She couldn't see through the smoke and fire, but she saw bricks and wood fall where the attackers had been standing and she didn't think there was any way they could have survived. The heat was oppressive and she hoped she hadn't hurt any innocent bystanders. Smoke filled the street and for a second she was back at Hogwarts during the war. It wasn't lost on her that this was the spell that had killed Fred.

With debris settling around them, Bill leaned his body over her to protect her from the falling detritus. Ash and brick dust settled in his hair and burning beams fell on either side of them.

As soon as the spell had been cast, she felt everything from before Bill had enervated her. Her vision was fading and the pain was so bad she almost couldn't breathe.

Bill's face was directly above hers and he covered her hand again to press on the wound. She heard a sound that seemed to come from an animal, and then she realized it was from her.

Another red head joined Bill's as George skidded to his knees beside them.

"Oh Gods, Bill," he said in a strangled voice. "That's bad. Where are the bloody Aurors?" George said, looking around them at the chaos.

"We've got to get her out of here," the older brother said, concentrating on the amount of blood currently running out from beneath their hands.

"Mum said nowhere was safe, they were going to the house," George relayed and shared a look with Bill. She knew what they were thinking; they didn't think she'd live long enough to get to Grimmauld.

"Then that's where we're going. We've got to try," Bill said decisively. He slid a hand under her legs and another behind her back. She almost blacked out when he stood. A moment of clarity came over her when she realized what he intended to do.

"No," she managed to choke out, before coughing. Red flecks sprayed in front of her. This was bad. "Don't apparate," she forced out. "I won't...I won't make it." She knew it was truth.

"She's right," George replied and Bill looked at him desperately.

"Portkey," she whispered. She was starting to shake now and couldn't keep her hand over her side any longer. It fell away and hung down limply.

"Emergency portkey!" George said loudly and started digging in his pockets. He came up with a trick yo-yo and quickly performed the required spell. "I set it to go off two seconds after we touch it." He shoved it into the hand Bill had behind her back and forced her hand on it as well. She felt the familiar tug behind her navel.

They were deposited on the front stoop of number 12 and Bill ended up on his knees. She could see right in front of her, but everything on the periphery was black.

George lifted his brother by the elbow and threw the door open.

"We need help!" George began shouting, leading the way towards the library. When Bill turned sideways to keep from hitting her head on the walls she couldn't hold it up anymore and allowed it to fall back over his arm.

Ginny burst out into the hallway ahead of them. "Oh Merlin!" she exclaimed when she saw them. "In here! Mum! Hermione's bad off!" Ginny yelled as they entered the room. It was full of Weasleys.

Ron was on the settee, his shirt off while his mother tended to a long gash on his shoulder. Fleur sat in the corner, the girls huddled in her lap. Charlie Weasley had even arrived and rushed to their side when he saw his brothers, Bill especially, robes covered in blood and looking like he was about to collapse.

"Give her here," Charlie said and Hermione tried not to cry out when Bill transferred her and then stumbled over to his family, falling at Fleur's feet to hug her and their daughters.

Charlie swore vehemently when he saw her wound. "Mum! This is bad. We need a healer." To Hermione it sounded like he was talking from the end of a long tunnel.

Molly ran over and gasped in shock before gathering her wits. "Ginny, clear the table. George, contact Hogwarts and tell them you're coming to get Madame Pomfrey through the floo."

Hermione felt like she was floating. All she could see was the beamed ceiling of the library, and she had the morbid thought that if she died then she'd have died in a library and that couldn't be so bad.

People were moving her around, but the table was cool underneath and she thought it felt nice. They were shifting her this way and that and casting various diagnostic spells. There was pressure and a ripping sound. That was her last good jumper she thought absently. She heard Bill tell his mother that she had been hit twice but he didn't know by what spell.

The pain was gone. She couldn't feel her feet or her hands anymore and she thought this wasn't so bad. Then someone was trying to make her drink something and she choked.

Ron was at her head. He looked scared. He moved loose hair from her eyes and held her head up while he poured the blood replenishing potion. She swallowed on reflex. Harry. She wanted Harry. If this was all going to go pear shaped she thought it only fair that she at least get to see Harry one more time.

There was another crash from the hallway and Ginny ran out to see. There was more shouting and Charlie went to check on his sister. When they returned they weren't alone. Harry was supported between them, bleeding from a head wound.

Harry. She got her wish, Hermione thought, and closed her eyes.