Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nemo by Nym13
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nemo

Nym13

AN: Hello! Finally. I'm in portkey. This story was originally written in fanfiction, under the same pen name. So yeah, I wanted to finally write here so I I hope you enjoy this guys if you haven't read this yet. This is my proof-readed version of the same story.

Must Read: In this AU story, Harry has a normal life since Voldemort does not exist. This is how he and Ron would have met Hermione and their experiences together if circumstances for Hermione were different. I must warn you this is quite long and you must be patient. I also suck at romances and I know how readers love fluffiness. But please be patient with me.

Disclaimer: I Don't Own HARRY POTTER and all its franchise.

XXX

There's this airy presence inside of me…

I feel as though I'm floating above the grass…

I'm trapped in a lush forest…

There's a blue sky hanging over my head…

And the translucent sunlight makes the running water in the river sparkle like crystals...

I knew from the beginning that I did not belong in this world…

Or just maybe…

I still haven't found a home in it…

Over time I've grown to accept my restless wandering, until one day it happened…

He happened…

XXX

I have been living in a Forest …

I have been wandering in it for five winters now and I know that it was beautiful here, my dear and sweet forest of Dean.

There was an old cabin in this vast timberland, it was just across the river, and I have made it into my little sanctuary. Inside it was a simple home. It was nothing much, it was quite dusty and dirty even, but I have found solace in the fact that it held two bookcases each filled with books.

I could touch objects but I couldn't hold on for long, sooner or later they would slip through my fingers like a gush of running water. But despite this impairment, I was at ease with the knowledge that I can flip through the pages of books, at least I am allowed that much of a luxury.

I knew how to read. Though I know not how I came about to acquire such a skill…

Don't mistake me for a genius. Reading was quite hard for me at first; since there were words which were foreign to me I learned them through looking up those words in dictionaries.

Such treasure words are...

Books kept me grounded and entertained…

When I'm bored though, I take leisure walks around the woods. Sometimes, I see families here in my forest and they would be picnicking by the river or setting up a camp. When I see them though, I hide behind the trees. I did not want to scare them, or maybe it is I who am scared.

Later on I would discover that they could not see me. I continue to hide nonetheless; maybe out of habit.

I stay and watch them unknowingly still. They all seemed so happy that it hurt for me to see them so. They reminded me so much of my loneliness; that I was alone. No one seems to see me or know of my existence. I was invisible to the world.

Truly, I did not know why I keep coming back here by the river if it brings me nothing but pain.

But even so, I still like to stay near people...

I would listen to them talking and sometimes I would learn a lot of things since I enjoyed hearing their conversations immensely. I often wished that I could partake in some of the more interesting debacles that I have heard. Trust me, it was hard to keep mum.

But I knew I belonged to silence, quiet, still and unchanged; like my forest.

XXX

One day, as I was sitting by the river banks, I saw a golden sparkling thing catching my eye.

It flickered about and its soft clicking and brushing sound brought a faint music in this serene place. Fascinated, I tried to seek it with my eyes, was it some kind of a flying insect? After some time I thought I just imagined it, but then I saw it again!

It was beautiful, like a flying golden ball and slowly I realized that it was nearing me…

It truly was a flying golden ball!

Then I heard a zooming sound and when I looked up, I thought I was looking at really green leaves. It took me a second to realize that those were emerald irises. And just like that I was lost for words; I did not know what to say to the creature that lay before me.

Finally, as if remembering his purpose, he grabbed the sparkling thing from above my head and he spoke…

"Hi…" was what he had said, with a boyish grin as he rubbed the back of his head, messing his ebony looks even more and pushed his rounded spectacles back up. He looked to be about my age…

It was then that I realized that he was floating, and between his legs was a nicely polished broom. Was I seeing a floating broom?

"Um… Hello?" I answered back uncertainly and his grin widened, brightening up his young face. He flew beside me and finally hopped off his broom and held his hand in front of me. I looked at him quite puzzled, why was he offering me his hand?

"I'm Harry, Harry Potter and you are?"

Did he just ask me my name? Who was I? I didn't know…

I don't remember…

"Uhm, just a nobody…" I told him instead and he looked at me quite disbelievingly, until his face broke into a joyous laughter. Why was he laughing?

"Well okay… nobody. So why didn't you shake my hand?"

"Was I supposed to?" I asked him quite seriously he just stared at me again in disbelief but he must have found me amusing for he laughed once more…

"You know you're really funny…"

"Thanks, if that was a compliment. Anyway, what are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm here with my parents. We just bought a house a kilometre away from here. I came here because of my snitch. You see, I was playing with it and somehow it lead me here. Hey, are you magical too? You don't seem like a Muggle to me."

Magical? Was that what I was?

I knew I wasn't normal but was I magical? And what was a Muggle? The dictionary held no such word.

"I don't know… and what is a Muggle?"

"A Muggle is a non-magic folk. Well, what do you know? Can you tell me more about yourself?" He asked me once more and I just shrugged.

"Not much. Just that I've been here since forever, or at least that's what I think. Are you real? Or am I just imagining you?"

"I know I'm real… how about you are you real?"

"Yes, maybe, I honestly don't know."

"You know… you seem to be about my age… how old are you anyway?"

"I don't know either, but as far as I can remember, I've been living here for five summers now. How about you? How old are you?"

"Eleven, my birthday was yesterday. I'm about to leave soon though, to the most magical place! Well, at least that's what I am told."

"Where are you going?" I asked him curiously. The sparkle in his eyes as he spoke about this so called magical place made me wonder if such a magical place did exist, and maybe, just maybe that was the place where I belonged to.

"It's a school called Hogwarts! My parents learned magic there. I'm excited to use my wand, make new friends and maybe see my best friend Ron again. I mean I've seen him yesterday, but like what my dad always says a day is always better spent with a friend. Have you been to a school?"

"No, but I would love to. I think learning new things would be fascinating! But I'm sort of in a dilemma, I can't seem to get out of this place. Do you think you can help me?"

"I don't know if I can, but anything's possible with magic! Should I call my parents? They're brilliant wizards and they don't have to worry about underage magic, they might be able to help you…"Harry had offered eagerly.

"Um, I don't know think it's a good idea for me to meet them now, maybe I should just remain a secret. It's safer if it's just you who knows about me."

"Why?"

"Nothing, I'm just not ready to be known…"

"Well, is there any other way that I can help you?"

"Well, there is one thing. Do you love books?"

"Uhm, I have plenty at home and I think they're fascinating. Mum always buys me loads, most I haven't even touched. But to be honest, I rather like playing Quidditch with my dad more than reading. Much to my mum's disappointment…" Harry added the last part quite jokingly, and for some odd reason, I smiled too. It must be nice to have a family.

"Well, if it's not much trouble can I borrow some? I'm running low on reading materials. That is if that's alright with you…."

"Of course...I'll be here tomorrow and bring you loads, have you any preferences?"

"None, absolutely anything will do. Thank you."

"No problem." Harry smiled at me once again and I realized that I'm beginning to like seeing him smile.

The rest of the day was spent with us talking with one another…

I showed him around the forest including my rundown cabin and he told me more about himself and his life. As he was talking I found myself envying him…

I wish I was magical.

That was our first meeting, and up until now I silently thank his snitch for bringing him to me.

I thought I would forever remain alone but somehow, someway when no one seemed to notice a thing...

He found me, my dear, sweet and first friend.

XXX

Harry kept his promise to me.

He came the next day; he was riding his broom with a beaded sling bag draped over his shoulder. I laughed at him since I was quite sure that the bag he carried was not for boys.

"Don't laugh, I'm doing this for you remember?" he told me then as he tried to sound offended, but despite his efforts to act so, I can see the mirth playing behind those emerald eyes of his…

I learned from him that the bag was his mother's. It was bottomless with a charm placed on it for it to weight featherlike. He brought me about thirty books; an assortment of magical and non magical books; most of them textbooks. All I wanted to do at the time was to read them.

I wanted to hug him and to show him how grateful I was. But instead, I just gave him a smile.

He tried to offer me a magical candy; a chocolate frog is what he called it. But before I could touch it, it escaped and hopped down the forest trail. Harry seemed disappointed that I wasn't able to eat it. I told him that I really didn't mind and that I wasn't really hungry, and what's more I didn't really eat too.

He seemed surprised with my confession, his face contorted into a frown as if he was thinking deeply; he looked as if he wanted to ask me a question. In the end he seemed to have changed his mind. He didn't ask me a thing after that and for the rest of the afternoon we played hide and seek.

Harry wanted to show me his house, and as he proposed this I could not help but look away. He seemed so excited at the prospect of us going that I could not bear to disappoint him, but I knew he deserved the truth. I told him that I could not go beyond to the other side of the river for some unknown force keeps holding me back.

He looked sad for a moment but I know he wasn't sad for himself.

After a few days, Harry finally left for Hogwarts. But before he could leave, he did promise he would be back for the holidays and visit me. I was sceptical at first; I fear he won't be able to keep his promise. There was this nagging feeling inside of me, telling me that there was this great possibility of him forgetting about me. But still, I managed to smile and told him I would just be waiting for him. Before he left he asked me if he could call me Nemo, since it meant no one or nobody.

I agreed, despite me not really liking the name.

If I had a name I imagine it to be more poetic...

XXX

The months seemed to drag on longer than normal for me. Despite the new books that surrounded me and kept me entertained, I couldn't get my mind off of Harry, I hope he was thinking of me too. I hope he spared even a second to remember me, to think of me as I was thinking of him too.

Through the first year books he lent me I feel as if I was closer to him. Despite us being miles apart…

Among all the books Harry has lent me 'Hogwarts A History' was my favourite.

I learned more about Harry's school from reading it. I feel as If I too was there with him. I was thinking of asking for his revised edition of it when he comes back, since I was currently reading the copy of his father.

He said his mum was really privy in regards to her books; and Harry needed his revised edition while his dad's books just collected dust in their attic so most of my magical books were owned by Harry's father.

The book was brilliant, but I'm pretty certain there would have been changes by now. Oh, how I would flip through its pages and try to imagine the great hall and its enchanted ceiling, I often would dream about entering its library and finding an assortment of books, oh, I hope the school will be as wonderful as I imagine it to be.

It made me wish...I hope I get a chance to visit it someday.

XXX

When Holidays finally arrived, Harry did come and visit.

He brought me new books. He told me they went shopping for Christmas and that when he and his mum went to a bookshop he figured he might as well buy me books. He bought me textbooks and I was thankful for those informative books were really the kind of books I loved to read. I was immensely grateful but I also felt genuinely guilty. I didn't have a present for him. He brushed off my distress and claimed that he had everything he could ask for, so I did not need to worry, and that having a new friend was the perfect present for him.

He told me of his school experiences; of how he got into Gryffindor and became the youngest seeker of the century and how proud his dad was while his mum was driving him mental with her constant worries about him playing and her always asking him to do well in his studies. He also told me about his new friends and a professor named Severus Snape who was giving him loads of trouble in school. He even told me how he and Ron hated a git named Malfoy.

Among other things he also told me that he suspected that I could be a ghost.

I did not consider it as an option before, not once has that notion ever crossed my mind, but maybe I was indeed a ghost…

What puzzled him though, and what made him doubt that I was a ghost was that I could touch objects even if for only a small moment. But still, there was the fact that I was almost translucent to his eyes and that I felt cold to him whenever our skin touched. I just shrugged at him in reply when he said these; I didn't really know what to feel about his observation during that time.

After that he asked me if he could bring Ron with him the next time he visits me since Ron was going to stay with him for a week and that he wanted us to meet each other. I told him that if this Ron wanted to meet me then it's alright. Harry beamed at my answer.

That night as I lie in my cabin alone once more I begun to seriously think about what Harry said. I could not deny the possibility that I was indeed a ghost. Slowly, I have begun to accept my truth.

XXX

Finally, I got to meet Harry's best friend.

Ron at first found me creepy, but he too shared Harry's opinion, he also thinks that I might be a ghost. I found him annoying for always teasing me, and we fought often times with Harry as our mediator, but slowly we grew out of our mindless bickerings and I grew to like him as well.

I wasn't lonely anymore…

I finally had friends.

XXX

Harry and Ron would visit me during Summer and Christmas Holidays. I knew all about them by then and I even help them with their Summer and Christmas assignments and even teach them how to correctly pronounce their spells.

While Harry and Ron were away, I would be reading the same course work they were reading too. After all, James' books were still essentially the same with Ron's and Harry's books. And that's how I became helpful to them. I was happy because somehow I felt like I was able to repay all their kindness by my helping them with their academics.

I enjoy teaching my friends, I am quite aware though that sometimes I get into their nerves with my constant nagging, but in the end I know they appreciate my efforts in trying to help them academically.

Sometimes though, Ron would tell me jokingly how I would have been the smartest witch in their year and how much I would have been found stuck in the library than in a forest; that is if I was a witch and went to school with them. I knew Ron meant well but as he said those things I could not help but feel sadness and disappointment envelope me.

I could not go to school and I could not be with them. What was the point of all my knowledge when I can't even have a wand, I couldn't even see Harry play Quidditch; the one sport he and Ron always talked so highly of? And the saddest part of it all, I wouldn't be able to see the library.

I've read from Hogwarts A History how massive and wonderful the library seemed like. Oh, how I dream of being in there. How I imagine myself smelling old parchment and ink, and how I long to run my fingers against each leather spine, even if I wouldn't be able to hold on to it for too long. Certainly, I wouldn't mind being a ghost in Hogwarts library.

Well at least, due to my love of learning I'm helpful to my friends when it comes to their summer and Christmas homework. That at least eases my mind that all of my studying was not for naught.

During Harry's and Ron's visits I would ask them if their parents ever worried about them, both the boys reassured me that they have told their parents that they were just playing Quidditch in the forest. Sometimes Ron would ask Harry if he could bring his little sister and some of their friends the next time they went and to visit me.

Harry would just look at me uncertainly during those times and I will hold his gaze as well. And after a small moment I would look down ashamed of my cowardliness.

Harry would then turn to Ron and say...

"Not now Ron, not yet...Nemo's not ready."

And I was grateful; Harry and I needed no words to understand the other. The thought made me smile, I was fortunate that I had a friend that knew me so well.

In the end I decided that I did not want anyone aside from the both of them to know about me. I was relieved when my two best friends respected my wishes.

I love the two of them so much; they truly were all that I had.

XXX

When Harry and Ron were away for their fourth year I was once again left alone. But over the years I have grown used to it almost like a routine. Besides, I knew when Christmas comes they'll be back again.

I waited for the two of them by the river, the day after Christmas since that was the time and place we have agreed to meet since forever.

For some reason though, both of them did not come that day.

I tried to wait patiently and thought of many scenarios and reasons why they could not have been present. As night drew near I saw two figures approaching our rendezvous. I was about to show myself and reprimand the both of them when I realized the figures didn't belong to Harry and Ron. I hid behind the trees once more, as I wait patiently for the two figures to depart my lonesome forest.

I kept quiet and waited patiently for the shadows to disappear. After all, the night was cold and the coldness was also intensified because it was the season of snow. I knew for a fact that the two figures were bound to head back from where they've come from. But of course, they could be wizards like Harry and Ron and would have casted warming charms upon themselves or their clothes.

"So, Tommy you wanted to talk?" I heard the feminine voice asked. I peered a little from my hiding place and saw that they were a young couple. One was a girl and the other was a boy. The girl looked stunning with her silvery blonde hair curled perfectly and falling delicately around her shoulders and her white winter jacket also fitted her quite snuggly that she looked like an angel bathed in snow's soft embrace. The boy on the other hand had jet black hair and kept himself warm with his black winter coat. He was handsome too, but he had his shoulders slumped as if he was carrying a heavy load over his shoulders.

"Lizzie…well…I, I don't know how to say it." The boy said sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well, you know you can tell me anything Tommy. After all we have been best friends since we were in our nappies." The girl teased the boy. The tease seemed to have eased some of the tension surrounding the two of them as they laughed at some sort of an inside joke that I could not understand. Suddenly, the boy grew quiet and the joyful atmosphere was no more.

"Well, the thing is... I'm leaving soon." The boy said quite sadly and Lizzie looked quite disappointed.

"Leaving? Why?"

"I was offered a scholarship at a university. So after our senior year ends, I'm moving to America."

"Oh, well, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you." Lizzie said as she threw her arms around Tommy but for some unknown reason I knew she wasn't happy.

"Well, there's something I would like to ask of you." Tommy said as Lizzie finally released him from her hug.

"What is it?"

"You know how Jill and I have been going steady for the year?"

"Well, it's hard to miss."

"I was wondering if you'll help me plan something for her. I want to break the news to her gently but I also want her to associate my leaving with a good memory so I was wondering if you'll help me plan a really good dinner date for the two of us. Please, I really want to make this special for her."

"Oh, um, well of course…I would be glad to Tommy. I'll do anything for you; I thought you knew that by now." Lizzie said, albeit quite sadly and I'm surprise Tommy doesn't notice. They talked for a few more minutes before they decided to head back and I breathe a sigh of relief at their departure.

However, I could not help but feel sad for Lizzie. Tommy was leaving her and what's worse, it was apparent that he was breaking her heart as he did so, but he seemed to be oblivious.

It must be sad to lose one's best friend. God knows how much I dreaded the day when the two boys would finally tell me their goodbyes.

I headed to my old cabin to sleep. I knew Harry and Ron won't be coming tonight.

For the first time, I worried about Lizzie and how she felt at that moment more than the absence of my best friends.

XXX

I was surprised, however when I saw both Harry and Ron waiting for me by the river the next day.

I learned from the two of them that they were held back because of the Yule ball which was celebrated during the Christmas Holidays. They chatted animatedly about the excitement of the Triwizard tournament that made up for the lack of Quidditch. But Ron did say something about being torn between his loyalty to the school and loyalty to his idols.

Apparently, Cedric Diggory who was a friend of theirs was Hogwarts' champion but a certain Viktor Krum whom I was told by Ron as the 'greatest seeker in the world' was also the Drumstrang's champion, and lest I forget and I do quote Ron ' the most beautiful girl since Helen of Troy' seemed to be quite promising as well; Fleur Delacour the beauty was Beauxbaton's champion. All in all it seemed Ron was having trouble in choosing which horse to bet his galleons on. Truly, boys and their ridiculous vices!

But he also whined about how boring the Yule ball was and that their dates; the lovely Patil twins wanted to dance throughout the night and that their feet hurt so much afterwards as they chose to become gentlemen and politely accepted their invitations. As Ron put it "Well, they're both one of the prettiest girls in the school so of course we could put up with them."

As Ron said this I was furious, just because one is pretty one can get away with anything? What a positively superficial and immature way of thinking...

I mean really, come on!

Luckily, Harry was there to stop us from starting a war. Besides, I missed them too much to want to ruin our Christmas together.

So I decided to be the mature one and let the matter slide for awhile, as I'm sure we can find another day to continue our debate.

"Well I'm pretty sure if you were there then it wouldn't have been so bad. Who knows, maybe Ron or I would have asked you to be our date instead." Harry told me with a grin. I couldn't help but blush as he said this.

It made me realized that I have never blushed at anything that Harry had said before. Of course I did not want to dwell on something so trivial such as getting flustered. I was quite thankful for being a ghost so he won't have to see my cheeks redden, because really, a blushing ghost is unheard of.

The rest of the day was spent by us three laughing, chatting, and catching up. I was happy I had my friends again. And at that moment it was just the three of us; together at the Forest of Dean.

XXX

The summer before their fifth year was the summer when things slowly changed between us three. ..

Harry and Ron grew a lot taller and due to Quidditch and they developed well defined bodies and I had to admit the two of them were now good looking blokes. Ron was the goofy handsome guy next door type while Harry looked quite mysterious with his messy midnight hair and piercing green eyes hidden behind those round spectacles of his. I had to come to terms that the two of them grew up quite nicely, but surprisingly so did I.

I didn't notice it, not until Harry commented about it.

The three of us were picnicking in the forest. Only Ron and Harry were eating and I just sat with them. We were just laughing and talking about nothing in particular when Harry suddenly blurted out.

"You know Nemo, I haven't really commented about it before but isn't it funny that your hair seems to be really long? And you're also growing taller too and I don't know but you also seem to…I really don't know how to say it…you became more feminine."

At first I looked at him quite confused and wondered what he was talking about. The three of us never really did talk about looks with one another. Besides, why would I care about my looks when I was but a ghost? A pulse rather than beauty would be of more use to me. I however did know that I had long bushy and curly brown hair and brown eyes. I also knew I was a girl so I was completely puzzled by what he meant by me being more feminine, that was until Ron clarified it for me.

"What Harry means to say is that you seem to have a nice pair of bosoms developing there." I was completely aghast, and I felt humiliated as Ron said these. No one ever told me such things! I was scandalized. But then I had to remind myself I only ever talked to these two boys after all, I should not over react lest I lose my only friends by offending them.

"Ron! Apologize to Nemo. You don't tell a lady these things. At least not that blunt." Harry tried to tell Ron but Ron as usual brushed off his concern, but he did apologize none the less.

"Well we can't really expect Ron to be tactful now can we Harry?" I said while eyeing Ron quite teasingly, Ron just glared at me but continued to devour his chicken. I'm starting to think that maybe chicken did taste good just by looking at the way Ron eats them, but then I would be losing my appetite by looking at him eating even though in actuality I do not have one.

"Yeah, maybe I should just give up in teaching him tact." Harry joined the teasing.

"It's not funny you guys!" Ron said, but the three of us just laughed.

"Well, to answer Harry's question, I haven't really felt anything new and besides, how was I supposed to know I was developing…um…feminine attributes I don't own a mirror plus the river isn't really that helpful either.

"Well you are a ghost, isn't it unusual that you're aging like us?" Harry asked me and I looked at him curiously. He did have a point, why was I aging?

"Well if you ask me, I think that if Nemo wasn't a ghost some blokes might ogle her, after all, her feminine attributes seem to be developing quite well."

"Honestly Ron!" I gasped. Harry just laughed though.

"Well, if she wasn't a ghost, those guys would have to go through us, right Ron?" Harry had proposed.

"Absolutely, she's practically our surrogate sister."

When Ron called me a surrogate sister I have forgotten that I was offended by him, as he said those words I was completely numb to all emotion except for happiness; I genuinely felt happy at that moment. I felt like I was going to break from holding so much happiness inside of me...

He thought of me like a sister. He thought of me like family. I'm so happy, I had a family. I did not know that I had begun crying as I thought of this, I only realized this when Ron's and Harry's shadows hovered above me and trying to comfort me.

"Nemo, are you alright?" Harry had asked me with concern filling his voice.

"Never better." I told him honestly.

And I knew at that moment that these two boys will always be my family. And I promised to myself that I will always be there for them. Forever.

XXX

Before Harry and Ron left that year they brought me interesting books. They bought me romance novels unlike the more factual, scientific, or magical textbooks they usually bring me. I was surprised and a little disappointed. I never did enjoy fiction, although the magical textbooks might be considered as such.

What do I need romance novels for? I mean the Greek mythology book Harry bought me two years back already had romance in it and the way they depicted it, I can honestly say made me doubt the necessity of this so called kind of love. But I was also curious as to what those books held so I accepted them gratefully.

I did ask them what compelled them to buy me such books and they replied that those were what girls their age usually read and they just thought that maybe I would like them too. If I did not remember that they will feel cold if I touched them I could have tried to hug the two of them for their thoughtfulness. Even though I did not like the books the thought alone behind those gifts made me so grateful to have them as my friends.

The romance novels were a bad idea. I didn't realize it until I was already on my third novel. They were making me think a lot about romance and love. Was I supposed to feel raging hormones despite being a ghost? I began to imagine what it would be like to kiss someone. To feel someone's arms around me…comfort me…love me...

I begun to be more depressed as the days progressed. Those bloody books, they made me realize I will never have those things. I was a ghost…I won't get to be kissed, hugged or touched and it was unfair.

I was lonely. I wished more and more that I wasn't a ghost. I wish I was just dead and in another life where I did not have to envy the living just for being alive. They were so lucky. They could do a lot of things. Being a ghost sucked. Yes, I did not worry about paying bills and getting a job or even sicknesses like a lot of people but I am trapped in an existence that seem to have no purpose, I can't eat, I can't hold on to something, I can't be touched, I won't get kissed and I can't love…

No one is meant to be a ghost just as much as no one is meant to live forever.

It made me realized how much I wanted a life, how much I wanted to be alive, how much I wanted to live...

XXX

Finally, Christmas Holidays came and Harry and Ron were back once more. I was so happy. We spent the day like we always did, catching up. Night crept and it was time for them to leave as twilight slowly neared but I was surprised when Harry had asked to stay behind and told Ron to go ahead of him.

"Why don't you go home now?" I asked Harry.

He just grinned at me and went inside my cabin gesturing for me to follow suit. Quite puzzled, I followed him inside, as I got in I saw him open his mum's beaded bag and took out an object from within it and hanged it on my walls. It wasn't small but it wasn't quite large either.

"What is that Harry?"

"Well, that's a mirror. Mum was trying to buy new furniture yesterday when I saw a pair of mirrors. I thought I should buy it for you. That is no ordinary mirror we can communicate with one another through it, I have its pair…it's smaller so I can carry it with me. That way you can talk to Ron and me while we're away in Hogwarts. I feel so stupid for not thinking of this sooner." Harry told me quite shyly.

"Oh, Harry…" I was speechless I was really so touched by the thoughtfulness of his gift…I did not realize I was crying again.

"You know I would hug you right now if only I wouldn't be able to cause you discomfort." I told him honestly between my sobs.

"I know Nemo, I would love to hug you as well." He told me quite sadly I know he must pity me…

I haven't really complained about my being a ghost when my friends were around but I suspected that Harry knew how much it's hurting me that I'm this way, that I'm a ghost.

"Come here…" Harry called me as he gesture for me to step near him…

The night was nearing but it was still quite bright outside my cabin.

"Nemo…I want you to look at your reflection…" Harry told me.

"Why?" I asked as I stepped in front of him, he grinned at me and gestured for me to turn around and face the mirror. I did as I was told and my back was to him…I can see my almost translucent figure…it was the first time I've seen my face quite clearly.

I was…slightly thin, I had a heart shape face but my check bones were hollow, I had a very thick and wild curly brown hair and my eyes were a deep set of brown. At least I seem to have a nice button nose and thick lashes and a nice pair of eyebrows. Well, I guess I looked okay, I didn't really think I was a beauty after all. What use is beauty to me when I am but a ghost?

"See that girl in the mirror? That's you." Harry told me.

"Yeah…I know Harry, I know that's me." I said sadly looking down at my feet.

"Good. Now you see how beautiful you look like." Harry told me in a tone I did not recognize. I look up suddenly, and I felt quite dizzy, Harry has never told me I was beautiful. I rolled my eyes in amusement.

"Oh, please…I maybe a ghost Harry but I'm not blind…If I was alive I'd still look quite plain. But thank you for trying to make me feel better."

"If you were alive you'd have..." Harry begun, I knew he will attempt to flatter me again. I could not help but laugh at his poor attempt to make me blush.

"Oh please…I know you think I'm ugly…"

"I don't think you're ugly." Harry said firmly this time. Quite sincerely he had said those words to me. I may not believe his words of me being beautiful but I believe him when he said he did not thought of me as ugly.

"I bought you a mirror so that I can see you and talk to you whenever I want to…because you are important and special to me, because you are my best friend. I also bought you a mirror so that you might, just might get to see what I see in you."

I smiled at him, despite the hurt that I felt right then and there. How I desperately wanted to hug him…kiss him even…but I could not.

"Harry, thank you. You're my best friend too..." I told him sincerely, though I feel it's not enough it's the only thing I could give him in exchange for every kind thing he has done for me.

"You know what Nemo, I think Nemo doesn't suit you. You're too special to be a nobody."

"Finally! The git realizes what a stupid name he's given me." I said in mock exasperation.

"Hey, that hurt!" Harry told me as he rubbed his chest as if it was truly hurting.

"Nemo, why do you think you don't remember anything? Not even your name and why do you age? The ghosts at Hogwarts don't age and they remember who they were. Do you think… do you suspect that maybe you're not a ghost?"

"Oh, Harry… I honestly don't know. I wouldn't want to get my hopes up… It's true its unusual for me to age… but I also exhibit qualities present in a ghost."

"I hope you're not ghost. I'm praying that someday you will be like me too." Harry told me with determination in his eyes. He said those words as if he wanted it to be true just as much as I did.

Silence filled the space between us. But unlike all the comfortable silence that the two of us have always shared, I knew at that moment that this silence was akin to the calm before the storm. It was a danger. I felt like an intruder treading on foreign ground, but despite the risky aura that enveloped around us, I also feel as though it is worth the risk. Unfortunately, Harry spoke once more and the reverie was broken.

"Hey you know what… there's a couple moving into the neighbourhood by next year. I think my parents know the couple. They said the couple used to own our house but they had to move to the city to take care of their daughter or something…they according to my parents just bought a house near here because they felt that if they move back here, maybe their daughter would heal."

"Well that's quite sad for them. I hope their daughter does heal."

The moment was lost and I sensed he knew it too.

XXX

The two days before New Year's Harry, Ron and I gathered in the meadows to play hide and seek…

Ron as usual was complaining that I was at the advantage; not only did I know every stone and tree in the forest but there was also the fact that I was so adept at hiding too, and need I mention about my physical form?

Harry just laughed and told Ron to man up, and Ron just replied…

"It's easy for you to say Harry, you're not the seeker this time." And Harry and I just laughed while Ron continued to complain that it would be past lunch time by the time he finds us. Harry and I decided to stick together to make Ron's task easier. Ron had just started looking for us when unfortunately for us, Pig; Ron's owl came swooping in and delivered a letter to Harry, thus revealing our hiding place to him.

"Hahaha! Found you. Merlin, I never thought I'd be so happy seeing Pig. Bloody brilliant owl!" Ron complimented his owl as he stroked its feathers. Harry stared gingerly at the letter before turning it in his palms then he opened the letter to know its sender. He scrolled the letter and as he did so he quickly folded the letter back and kept it in his pocket. Unfortunately for him, I had chanced upon the name of the sender.

"So…you're going to tell us what Ginny wanted to say to you?" I heard myself ask. He looked at me for a second, surprise etched on his face before he scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"Oh, you saw." He simply replied.

Ginny Weasley. I know her, though not quite well. I knew she was Ron's younger sister, I knew she was in the same house as Harry and Ron, I knew she stayed at Harry's House with Ron sometimes just like Harry stays in the burrow as well during breaks and holidays. I also knew she was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team along with Harry and Ron. Lastly, I know she has a crush on Harry since Ron always brought it up and teased Harry about it since they were in second year.

"Got another love letter from my sister?" Ron asked playfully as he eyed Harry cheekily, and Harry was flustered once more.

"Honestly Ron! Lay off him, it's probably something important. So what did she say?" I asked once more. I surprise myself with my curiosity, never did I bat an eyelash at the mention of Ginny before but for some odd reason I felt drawn to her as of that moment. For the first time, I actually wanted to know this other girl who was probably the closest girl to both Harry and Ron aside from me.

"Oh, I haven't really read it." Harry had said.

"Well, go on then read it for us." Ron had implored him but Harry rebuked once more.

"Would you really want to know what your sister wrote to me Ronald?"Harry had asked irritably.

"Honestly? Yeah, reckon it'd be nice to have something on her. You know for teasing and blackmailing…"

"Honestly Ron!" I reprimanded Ron but I could not hold back the laugh that escaped my lips but Harry looked quite forlorn at that moment. He was staring at me oddly, quietly as if he was reading me. What he wanted to see or know I did not know, but he quickly shook his head as if clearing his thoughts and slowly pulled the letter from his pockets.

He rolled the letter down and looked at me once more as if asking my permission and I inclined my head to the side as if granting him leave. He took a deep breath…

"Dear Harry…" He had begun.

" I know you've been avoiding me since I confessed before Christmas that I was in love with you. Being best friends with my brother Ron, I thought by now that it was an open secret and that you shouldn't have acted so strange. When I said "I love you…" I did not expect for you to say "I love you" back…", though, that would have been lovely. But I also did not expect you to avoid me like a plague. Aside from being the boy that I fancy, I also consider you as my friend. So I've been asking myself why the sudden cold treatment? I remember when I finally confessed that you just stood there motionless, I've even wondered if you've been petrified… " I laughed at that part and Ron and Harry stared at me oddly before I managed to stifle a giggle and told Harry to continue.

"… And then you asked me to excuse you and just like that you walked away. I must confess I was hurt, angry and disappointed. If you didn't feel the same way why hide? Despite what you and my brothers' think, I am already grown up now, and let me just tell you I am very skilled at bat bogey hexes, so don't you dare treat me like a child. But then watching you from a distance made me think and I was given the perspective of an outsider. " Harry paused there… but he just took another deep breath before continuing once more.

" I realized maybe, you weren't trying to turn me down. Maybe you were trying to convince yourself to like me as well. I know you see me like a little sister, growing up together must have done that to you. I also know how much you and my brothers' get along with each other and the proof can clearly be seen during the annual Weasley Quidditch matches in our backyard every summer. I also know how much you love my mum's cooking and trying to fix a Muggle car with my dad in the Muggle way has also been quite the hobby for you. I am thankful for you watching out for me, my brothers love you like you're one of them, my mum absolutely adores you and my father is grateful since you're the only one willing to spend time with him and indulge him in his Muggle fetishes. In short, I know you see us as family and as do all of us. That is why I know you're going to try to convince yourself that you should give us a chance. "

" I'm telling you now Harry, stop. I know you're pulling away from me not because you want to tell me that we are not meant to be together. I figured that wouldn't be enough of a reason after all that we've been through. You're pulling away because you're thinking if we talk now you might be able to tell me how you really feel; that you feel nothing. I imagine you trying to convince yourself to be with me. I appreciate the effort Harry but don't try to please everybody, you might hurt yourself ."

" If you finally decide to give us a chance and only if you really want to, we can try. Let's take it slow. Love isn't instant it takes time, it builds up to make it stronger and it tastes sweeter like an old aged wine. If you really want to try something with me then please be my date to the New Year's Ball. If not, then just say so. I don't want you to force yourself to like me. But, I am also a girl in love and it would mean the world to me if you would give us a chance. And Harry please, be honest. Be a Gryffindor and tell me what you mean and mean what you say. I'll be waiting for a reply. Yours, Ginny. " Harry looked at us expectantly and for a second I was without an opinion. For some odd reason I could not find a reason to hate Ginny but at the pit of my stomach I knew I did. I tried to swallow that emotion and kill it for the moment as Harry was looking at us patiently. I knew he was silently asking us for our opinion. It was Ron who spoke first.

"Well isn't my sister sappy? Girls really, why do they have to put in so much detail in their letters?"

"That's because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon Ronald. Obviously, this was a very personal letter, which I strongly suspect we should not have heard. Give your sister some credit, she was very brave to have written and sent this to Harry."

"What should I say?" Harry had asked, his gaze passing between Ron and I. I rubbed my temples in confusion. I wanted what Harry wanted. I want to tell him to follow his heart, but I also knew that at that moment the poor boy was confused, too confused to know what his heart was telling him. Luckily, Ron gave him an answer first.

"Listen mate, Ginny's my sister, I'm not really sure if I would like seeing you two together, but since I'm also her brother and your mate, I think no one would be better for her than you. But if you don't really fancy her as well then don't lead her on, I would hate seeing you break her heart but better do it now than later." Ron had said. And I could not help but feel proud of him at that moment. It was incredible how much maturity he had shown when he said those simple words. It almost made me tear up, for it made me understand how much the two of them had grown.

But then Harry looked at me intently, his green eyes boring deep into mine, with so much intensity within in them I'm surprised he was also able to convey patience from them as well. I took a deep breath; I knew I had always been his voice of reason as there had been countless times already that he has sought my advice or eye at any matter. Ron had already given him the vague answer, the answer which he already knows… I had to do my job and direct him. He was pleading with me to tell him what to do.

"Well, she has liked you for a really long time. Maybe she's right; maybe you haven't really given her a chance for you to see her as more than a sister. If there's no one you fancy right now, and no concrete reason for you to reject her maybe you should give her a chance. Just don't make promises you can't keep Harry. And just remember what we're giving you are just advises you are the one who has to make a decision."

"You're right Nemo." Harry said, though I could not help but notice he said this quite dejectedly.

"Are you alright, Harry?"I had asked him as his shoulders visibly slumped. He looked up at me and I saw beyond his glasses and pass his emerald orbs was a caged soul. It made me confused, why did he look so lonely?

"I'm fine…well, it seems I need to write back to Ginny and tell her I'd be her date."

We didn't continue playing after that. Instead the three of us went back to my river and just talked for a while laughing occasionally. But I noticed Harry was quieter and sometimes when he thinks I don't notice I catch him looking at me with an abstract eye.

I knew everything was about to change… and I did not know how to feel about it.

XXX

Harry and Ron contacted me almost every day using Harry's enchanted mirror. We scheduled a time for it so that when the hour strikes I would just wait patiently in front of the mirror to see their faces.

I help them with their assignments as I was always ahead of them. Since their second year I had developed lesson plans and study schedules for them to follow. Usually I would do this with Harry and Ron before they leave for Hogwarts and begin another year. I would tell them what topics they will likely cover for the year, assign study hours and just give off trivia, facts and resources they might want to look up and they diligently scribble down what I say as I could not hold a quill. So more often than not I already know their subjects ahead of time so I could give them overviews.

But now with Harry's enchanted mirror I can finally see what the two of them did and how they were faring in class. I could answer their questions each time they found something difficult. And sometimes we'd just talk as they tell me more about their day experiences. But then I noticed as time passed only Ron would talk to me and Harry would show up later in the conversation or sometimes he wouldn't at all. And usually before he went to sleep we'd talk a while and say Goodnight, but even that had ceased. I finally asked Ron about it one night as he was telling me about why he wanted to be both an Auror and a Quidditch player but decided he'd rather be a Quidditch player since it didn't require hard NEWT classes.

"Hey, Ron."

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering if Harry is avoiding me. He's not always present during our supposedly nightly talks anymore and if he is, he's always late and at night he no longer talks to me before he goes to sleep. Is there something wrong with him?"

"What? He's fine, just probably busy…you know, since he has a girlfriend now."

"He has? Who?" I asked rather shocked by this vital information. Harry had never told me he had a girlfriend.

"He didn't tell you? I assumed he didn't speak of it with you while I'm around since after all, it's my sister he's dating. Reckon he's being sensitive for me, but I didn't know he didn't tell you. That's why I'm talking to you every night sometimes alone, since Harry and Ginny have this 'study sessions' going on. I don't really think they're doing homework but for me to be distracted and not actually know what they're studying about I sit here and talk to you."

I laughed lightly at that. It must be tough on Ron since I know despite Ginny and Ron always fighting and biting each other's head off he's actually quite a protective older brother. But I also knew he'd prefer it was Harry snogging his younger sister than some other bloke. Snogging, I wonder if that was what Harry was currently doing.

I was suddenly very aware that I was getting angry at the thought of Harry snogging Ginny. I mean, I was only mad since he decided to skive off our nightly sessions just to snog his girlfriend. Oh, and what he snubs me his…his best friend? I mean can't he get enough of her already during the day or if they go on their Hogsmeade trips? Night was supposed to be my time with Harry and Ron. How dare Ginny steal him away and Harry, can't he control himself maybe just for an hour to talk to me, his best friend? I mean we don't get to see each other every day. Yes, that was the reason why I was angry…now I just need to find out where that pang of jealousy comes from.

"Hey, Nemo." Ron had called out to me and bringing me out of my reverie.

"Yes Ron?"

"You know, she's jealous of you."

"Who?" I feign innocence as I suspected who it was.

"Ginny, she knows about you."

"Really she does? Thought I was supposed to be just yours and Harry's secret."

"Yeah, you are our secret friend, but she's my sister and now Harry's girlfriend, besides she's known about you for some time now. When we use to leave her to visit you Harry and I would tell her we're off to visit a secret friend. She's awfully jealous of you."

"Why would she be? She has nothing to be envious of."

"Well Harry does speak highly of you, even before. And well Harry has this…Harry, speak of devil! You arrived on time. Nemo's been asking about you." Ron had waved at Harry and I saw Harry sitting down with Ron as he asked us what we were talking about and our conversations grew.

For a moment I was happy, it seemed everything was where it should be. I finally had my Harry back.

XXX

I knew Harry didn't say goodnight to me anymore but at nine thirty I would curl up in front of the mirror and wait. Hoping that he'd start talking to me again and we could continue the routine.

He did not disappoint me, and one night after weeks, I finally heard his voice.

"Nemo?"

"Harry!" I exclaimed joyfully as I rushed to my feet and practically glued my face to the mirror due to my excitement in seeing and hearing him once again.

"Oh, it so good to see you." I could not help the grin that spread across my face I felt so happy that he was talking to me again. I wasn't aware of how lonely I've truly felt until now that the weight has been lifted from my shoulders, I could finally stand straighter and happier.

"I've been so worried; you haven't talked to me for weeks. How are you?"

"I'm fine, and I'm sorry. I've been busy; it's not a very good excuse now is it?"

"Well it depends on what you were busy with. So, I know you wouldn't have called if you didn't want to talk, so tell me what's bothering you."

"Ginny and I had a fight."

"Oh, and what were you fighting about?"

"She reckons I have another girl in my mind, and that I don't love her enough."

"Well is she right, do you have another girl in your mind?"

"I…what if I did? Does that make me a bad person? After all, I am with her, I'm not being unfaithful."

"Oh Harry, it's normal for you to feel attraction towards other girls. Blame that on your hormones you're young…"

Harry laughed softly at that.

"But…you must tell Ginny that even if you're attracted to other girls she owns your heart and she need not worry."

"What if she doesn't?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"She was wrong when she said I have my mind on some other girl, but what if she was right when she said I don't love her enough."

"Oh, uhm, well…that's potentially problematic."

"Potentially problematic? That's the problem."

"It's potentially problematic since it depends on how you handle the situation."

"So how can it be, not problematic?"

"Simple, answer this question 'do you want to be with Ginny?'. Because if you do, then maybe your attraction for this other girl is just a fluke and you can get back to being lovey dovey with Ginny. But if not, well then that's quite problematic." I tried to make Harry laugh with my comment but it seems like I really don't know how to crack jokes since Harry just stared at me blankly. His face for once did not give away what he was truly feeling and I have begun to fear why I can no longer read him so easily like I used to. Maybe, he had practiced putting up that mask and he didn't let me see how he managed to perfect it until now.

"I can be with Ginny, I can't be with that girl. Besides, I can't hurt Ginny and Ron, especially when I know that girl and I have no chance to be together."

"Oh, don't be so pessimistic Harry. How can you be too sure you won't get this girl? And if you really don't love Ginny I think she deserves to know. It's like you're just using her, and it's less hurtful if you tell her now. And Ron, probably he'll get angry but just as fast as he gets angry you know he can never hold a grudge too long as well. He always manages to come around." I tried to tell him soothingly he just stared at me doubtfully and I sensed he was hiding a vital piece of information from me. One that'll make me understand his dilemma more.

"It's complicated Nemo, you don't know how I feel."

"Oh Harry, you know I'll listen. I will always do. You know you can tell me anything."

"No! I can't tell you all my secrets. I won't have any left to keep to myself."

"Harry?"I said shocked by his outburst I was pretty certain was tactful with my words. I did not know why I had offended him so. But it hurt when Harry looked at me at that moment with judging eyes, as if I was his enemy, as if I was hurting him and I begun to feel sadness. After all this time I thought he knew I would do anything for him and Ron, I would strive to help them, make them happy and their best interest will always be my priority, they came first. Harry came first. Always.

And so it hurt seeing him look at me like that.

"Just… forget I said anything. I'll see you tomorrow." He tried to brush me off, say goodbye, but I would have none of that. I don't want us to end any conversation mad at each other, who knows when he'll talk to me again. I don't want any of my friends to stay mad at me for long. They're all I've got.

"Harry… I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's okay… it's not you. I'm sorry too." He said and this time I could read the regret oozing out of his voice.

"Hey Harry…"

"Yeah?"

"If all else fails, you know I'd still love you even if Ginny and that girl you fancy won't." And it was the truth, He would always have a special place in my heart.

Harry laughed, though the light did not reach his eyes.

"I know. I just… Goodnight Nemo."

"Night, Harry."

"Hey Nemo, before I forget… I'll always love you too." Before I could respond Harry had turned his mirror off and I just stared blankly back at the mirror as I watched his face fading from my view, and my pale translucent face replacing it instead.

For a moment I just stared there blankly as I tried to process what Harry said. He said he loved me… even if he meant it platonically he still said it. I knew he loves me just like Ron loves me but I never actually heard him say it before or even remember anyone truly who said those three words to me. The feeling was new… but it was definitely not unpleasant.

XXX

I found out from Ron that Ginny and Harry had broken up. It seemed that it was Ginny who initiated it. He said Harry and Ginny parted in good terms and that Ginny was doing well. Ron said that when he asked Ginny why she broke up with Harry, Ginny had simply replied that they weren't really meant to be and that she finally saw that they had more of a sibling bond, and that Harry was too much of a family member to her for her to actually hate him.

Regardless of the reasons, Ron told me he felt relieved. He shared that although Harry and Ginny really didn't fight it seemed that the two of them were just forcing themselves to try and make their relationship work.

Harry still rarely talked to me. I had gotten used by his distance now and of his avoidance although it didn't help ease the pain. I try to convince myself maybe he's just going through a phase and maybe when he'll recover we can rekindle our old friendship back. Ron and I don't fight as often as we did before and it's easier to talk to him but I still miss Harry terribly so. I miss Harry. I miss us. I miss our trio.

One evening Ron was asking me for help regarding his potions assignment, Ginny had angrily marched up inside the boy's dormitories…

"Ron! Did you threaten Michael-" she had stopped whatever she was going to say when she saw me in the mirror. I had panicked. I quickly ran away from the mirror. I did not know why I was so scared of Ginny at that moment; probably I just wasn't use to anyone knowing about me other than Harry and Ron. I had heard Ron calling out to me, but I still hid hoping for Ginny to go away. I knew she was still there, I could hear them talking…

"Merlin, Ron! Is that her? Is she your secret friend?"

"Yeah, Ginny, and now you'd scared her off. We told you she was shy."

"I thought you were being selfish gits and didn't want me to meet her. So she really does exist."

"Did you ever doubt?"

"I don't know. I always thought whenever you and Harry would run off using her as an excuse that the two off you were just skiving off chores. I almost thought the two of you had gone bonkers talking about your imaginary friend. Now I see you're telling the truth."

"Gee, thanks for being such a dear." Ron had replied sarcastically.

"You know she's pretty. Tell her, I'd like to meet her."

"I would, now go, I'm trying to finish my homework here."

"Bye… my ickle Ronniekins."

"Ginny!" Ron had said warningly, and I heard Ginny chuckling loudly before I heard the door closing.

"Well, she's lovely." I had said as I approached the mirror once again.

"Well yeah… but she does get on my nerves most of the time."

"Must be nice to have a sister, or a sibling."

"I've got six of them… if you really want to find out how it feels like. So… I'm sure you've heard hat Ginny said. What would you like me to tell her?"

"Oh, you mean about her wanting to meet me? I honestly don't know. What do you think?"

"Nemo has finally asked for my advice and opinion. By Merlin's name how the mighty have fallen!" I had laughed for Ron had said those words quite dramatically, he just looked so theatrical at that moment.

"Oh, stop you. Honestly, Ronald! I'm trying to get an answer here."

"Would you like to?"

"Maybe, but what if she won't like me? I mean I wouldn't know what to talk to her with."

"Oh, Ginny's not so hard to please. But I do warn you though, she could be quite sarcastic at times, bossy, and she has a fiery temper too. But she can also be quite fun and accommodating to people, some would call her the life of a party while I would call her an attention seeking brat. But hey, she's still my sister."

"She kind of sounds like you." I told Ron and he made a face as if he was completely repulsed by what I've said.

"Well, if you say so then you must know it's a sign you two are going to be friends."

"Oh? And how can you be so certain? Have you finally become so adept at Divination?" I had teased Ron and he had stuck out his tongue at me.

"Well, you got me to be your friend. If she's anything like me then you two will get along just fine." It's so weird how Ron nowadays seems to be saying the right words at the right time. It's nice but still so overwhelming since usually it's Harry that does so and puts me at ease. Thinking of Harry made me miss his presence once more. But still it made me grateful that I still had Ron.

"Oh, you're just incorrigible Ronald Weasley!" I said in mock exasperation but grinned at him afterwards and he just laughed as well. He then asked me to help him with his assignments again.

The night was uneventful after that, but I knew things would turn out more interesting as I have decided to take up Ginny's offer and finally meet her. I was excited and anxious all at the same time.

XXX

During the weekend I was fidgety. I could not help but feel very nervous. I tried tugging my hair as I wait anxiously for the clock to strike one o'clock. Today was the Hogsmeade weekend and I finally was going to meet Ginny or the first time. The boys have decided to run off to Hogsmeade to buy sweets from Honeydukes, checkout Zonkos for new toys and probably grab a butterbeer leaving Ginny behind in the castle so that the two of us could have our 'girly bonding day' as Ron had eloquently named it.

"Um, Hello?" I heard a voice from my mirror and I nervously bit my bottom lip and tucked a strand of curly hair behind my ear as I slowly approached the mirror tentatively, my stepping was slow as if I was walking on egg shells.

"Um, hi?" I had replied as I finally saw Ginny clearly for the first time. She was beautiful. She had pale alabaster skin and flaming red hair. Her thick black and long lashes surrounded her hazel brown eyes. Her nose was long, thin and straight. She looked angelic and fierce at the same time. I could not help but wonder why Harry would ever let her go.

"It's nice to finally meet you Nemo. I'm Ginny as you may have heard."

"It's good to finally meet you as well. I heard so much about you from Harry and Ron. I'm sorry I'm not really good at this." I said as I averted my eyes away from her, it was so weird introducing myself to someone new when I have been used to being alone and keeping quiet.

"You're doing fine. Really, you've heard about me from Harry and Ron? All good things I hope."

"It depends on which boy you're talking about." I had replied.

"Bugger! I knew Ron would bad mouth me to strangers. He's such a dear isn't he? Ruining my image to unassuming good people. Backstabbing prat." Ginny had ranted and I could not help but laugh, she sounded so much like Ron. I knew she wasn't really bitter at Ron, she was just trying to make me laugh and make me at ease with our conversations.

"Well, that's what makes him Ron. And don't worry, Ron may come off like a prat but he truly does care about you."

"Oh, so it's Harry. I knew it! It's always the quiet ones." I laughed once more.

"Enough about me, it is I who have heard so much about you. So tell me how did the three of you become friends."

And so I told Ginny about how Harry found me and how Ron managed to tag along. I told her about the things that we would do together, the things we would do for each other and just stories about our little adventures in my forest. Ginny had particularly enjoyed and laughed when I told her about funny stories of Ron and Harry.

She also told me about her experiences with them and growing up with boys surrounding her. She told me how she needed to act tough so her brothers won't always pick on her or be too overprotective of her.

We spent the whole afternoon talking. Until she talked about more recent things and we wandered to a topic which Ginny claims are what girls usually do talk about.

"So is there anyone you fancy?" She had asked me. I had shaken my head fervently.

"How could I? I barely know anybody. I'm so used to being alone."

"Well, you know Harry and Ron. Surely, you would have considered it."

"Oh, I…I don't think I have ever truly have. It's just seems like there's this unspoken rule that I shouldn't. But there is this one time… Oh, I really shouldn't say." I said blushing now as I looked away. I know it's silly of me to think I was blushing when I was as pale as a ghost. I would have laughed at the irony.

"You have! I just know you did. Come on, tell me. It'll be our little secret."

"Ron sure forgot to mention you were gossipy." I teased her and she rolled her eyes playfully and flipped her hair.

"That's what makes us girl you know. So who was it? Who did you have fantasies of?" Ginny had asked me bluntly and I could feel my cheeks burning up as if I had blood rushing through up there.

"You might not like the answer Ginny."

"Oh, pish posh. Just tell me, you can do it." I sigh as I finally decided to give in to Ginny's prompting. After all, who knew when I'll ever get the chance to have these girl talks again? This is one of the issues I very well know I can't talk to Harry and Ron with.

"It's Harry." I had said plainly. I looked at Ginny while trying to read her reaction. She seemed mildly surprised but then a smirk quickly planted itself on her face.

"Oh, so how did our dear Mr. Potter manage to make you see him in a different light? What event was it that made you have this urge to kiss him?"

"It's more of a series of events actually."

"So this just happened recently I presume."

"Yes, just this year before they left for their fifth year Harry and Ron brought me all this girly romance novels. I still wonder where they got the idea though."

"Oh, it's probably from me since I read those novels all the time and one time Ron had teased me about it and I told Harry and Ron that they wouldn't understand why I like them so much since they're boys, and only females can understand the beauty of well thought romance novels."

"Oh, so I have you to blame for it." I had teased her once again and Ginny just scrunched her brows in confusion.

"Well, I suspect it's because of those novels that I have begun to think about love. Before, I didn't give much thought about kisses. But when I read them I have begun to wonder what a hug would feel like, how someone's hand enclosing mine could give me comfort, and what a kissed tasted like. Like you might as well know, the only boys I know are Harry and Ron, so it's only natural I'll see one of them in a different light sooner or later."

"So how come it was Harry?"

"It's silly but I only had one urge to kiss him. It was just recently during this Christmas break when he bought me this mirror so we can communicate with one another. He just seemed so sweet and sincere during that moment and I thought it was quite romantic that maybe if the circumstances were different I might have. I'm quite thankful I haven't."

"Wow, you and Harry seem to be pretty close."

"Yes we are. But recently, it's as if his distancing himself from me. Why do you think he's pulling away? He bought me this mirror so we could talk, Harry, Ron and I could talk while they're away. I know I should have been used to not be able to talk with them all the time but it's different now that I know we could actually talk. It's sad to know that's he's avoiding me."

"Well, I don't know the answer to that, only Harry can answer it. But even I noticed he hasn't been the same lately. He's quieter now and more reclused. I mean, he still plays Quidditch and still talks to his friends but most of the time he'd rather be alone. Sometimes, I would see him by the lake staring at the distance with a sketchpad in his hand and would just draw. I'd see him in the library looking up at books as if researching diligently for an assignment. He's always doing research at his free time about something he wouldn't even tell Ron or I. He comes back in the common room during late hours looking gloomier than he did earlier. Like his green eyes show nothing but disappointment. Sometimes, he'd even talk to some of the ghost here at Hogwarts too. It's weird it's like he has this secret project he's quietly building on. Ron reckons he might be studying ahead for NEWT's next school year. I however, suspect it's something more, something much more personal."

"I should probably talk to him about it."

"Maybe you should, since he's driving Ron and me crazy with worries about him."

"Hey Ginny?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for looking out for Harry. I know you like him."

"Of course I like him. He's my friend, but I truly don't have feelings for him anymore. In the short three weeks of our love affair I realized that maybe I didn't like him as much as I thought I did."

Not long after that we said our goodbyes.

I went to bed that night determined to talk to Harry and find out what was wrong with him.

Little did I know, I would never get that chance…

XXX

One week from now Harry and Ron would be coming back for Summer Holidays.

That thought has been on my mind the whole day as I was walking through the forest. I couldn't wait to see them, especially Harry. I hadn't managed to speak with him, it was frustrating. Harry had grown so adept at hiding from me. Even Ron had confessed he and Harry had rarely spent their free time together as he was always busy. I was worried. What has gotten Harry so worked up?

As I was walking I came to stop in front the river and I sat by its banks just staring at the rush of gushing crystal clear water and the small ripples it created here and there. I was so absorbed and entranced at watching the fluid that I didn't notice a middle aged lady at the other side of the river till it was too late. She must be a Muggle since she could not see me. It was weird, I knew I had never seen her before in my forest, but she seemed awfully familiar.

She looked to be in her middle to late forties as her black curly locks were tied in a messy bun. Her white sweater hung loosely around her and her black leather boots seemed to make no noise as she slowly approached the river. She was sad, that was evident. I could see it in her deep brown eyes. She was beautiful, I noticed too despite her age as she finally was close enough at the edge of the other side of the river; the side where I could not cross.

She sat down on the ground just like I did. I knew not to fear since it was obvious she could not see me.

"I miss you…" I had heard her say in a strangled voice laced with utter longing and sadness. It's weird but I felt lonely too like I was sharing her grief.

"It's been so long since I last saw you. God, I miss you so much!" She had begun to sob.

"It's almost ten years now. Almost ten years since I've been here. I couldn't visit this place knowing this was where I last saw you. God, I'm so sorry." She had wailed so helplessly, there was no one around in the forest it was so quiet as if the forest had given her a sanctuary where she could release all her built up frustration in peace. She was crying so hard now as she pulled out a picture from her pockets. She stared at it lovingly as she caressed it gently and wiped the tears that had fallen on top of it. She kissed the picture so lovingly and spoke so tenderly.

"I should have kept a better eye on you. If I did you wouldn't have fell and hit your head in the river…I'm so sorry." It's weird I have this sudden feeling of walking around the river touching the cold water and attempting to cross my side of the forest by hopping from one rock to another. Almost like a memory.

"It's almost ten years and I still hope and pray you would return to me…return to us. Maybe your father's right. Maybe you're never going to wake up soon. Maybe I should move on, let you go and let you move on. But I can't! I'll wait as long as it takes…as long as you show me you would come back. Come back to me my sweet angel. Come back to me Hermione! I love you so much. I miss you so much…Hermione!" The lady had wailed and trashed about the place she was kicking the fallen leaves throwing rocks and pulling the grasses from the ground. I had never seen so much grief in all my life and before I knew it I was crying too.

It was weird, I feel as though I know her. I knew her and her child. Hermione, such a lovely name…it sounded like it came from Shakespeare…wait…I don't have a Shakespeare book aside from Romeo and Juliet. How could I know this?

"Hermione!" the lady had continued to sob and I stared at her for some more time, just watching her. And a nostalgic sense of feeling enveloped me as I watched her be so vulnerable. Hermione…it seemed liked a familiar friend, like it was my own. Could it be? Was I Hermione?

"Jane!" I had heard a man speak as he was running towards the lady. He had brown hair and when he reached Jane she was already curled up in fetal position and crying her eyes out. He tried to help her up and wipe her tears away but Jane seemed furious at him and pushed him off her.

"Get off me Henry!" Jane had screamed at him.

"Jane. I know you're upset but you must know we have to do this…we've waited this long-" Henry had begun to speak.

"No! You can't give up. We can't give up. Hermione's a fighter, I know my own daughter. She'll be back I know she will. I swear she will wake up. We just have to wait for her. Henry, you can't give up. How could you do this?"

"You don't think this hurts me? Hermione's my daughter too. I have prayed for her as much as you have. I have watched over her and paid attention watching and waiting for a sign that she'll wake up. But she hasn't and maybe she never will. We can't be haunted by our past forever Jane. We need to move on. We need to let go of Hermione."

"How could you do this to Hermione how would she feel knowing her own father would kill her?"

"It's Euthanasia, Jane. Technically, Hermione's dead, it's just the equipment that's keeping her breathing."

"Mercy killing you mean to say. What's so bloody merciful about it except its name? I don't bloody care what it is. You won't pull the plug off Hermione. You just can't! I know she's coming back soon, I can feel it. Especially now that we've come back home."

"We're pulling the plug tomorrow Jane. Nothing's going to change that."

"Hermione's blood will be on you if you do that."

Jane stormed off angrily with Henry following behind her and calling her name and I could not help but feel panic rising within me. I was so scared, I felt like I was going to die. And then it hit me! I was going to die!

I was Hermione. My name was Hermione Jane Granger and those were my parents. Dentists; Henry and Jane Granger. I grew up in this town. We owned a large blue house just outside this forest with a big backyard filled with roses in the garden that my mother had tended. My father would read to me at night while my mother would sing to me.

I remember everything now. The memories I lost when I woke up here and ever since I was trapped in this abyss rushed back to me.

I was seven and we were picnicking here in the forest when I wanted to cross the other side of the river to see what lies beyond it. I had tried to cross it by hopping from stone to another when I slipped and hit my head at one of the rocks. My father had seen me and he swam to rescue me and all I remember before blacking out was him calling my name and asking me if I was alright and for me to stay with them.

I was not dead! That's why I was still here. I was supposed to stay with them. I finally understood why I was aging and why I could touch objects for just awhile, it's because my body is still alive. I was still breathing!

Probably, I was in a coma. I needed to get out of here. I could not wake up because my soul was trapped here in the forest. At that moment it's as if a chain was lifted from me. Like I grew wings and that I could finally fly, fly out of this caging imprisonment that had kept me bound for so long.

"Wait!" I had yelled and for the first time I had crossed the other side of the river. I was running, chasing the figures of my parents as I followed them. It's weird I continued to follow them even if I had passed our house I had wondered why they didn't go in. And then I was struck with the realization that it was now Harry's house. My parents were the couple he talked about that sold their house so that they could move to the city to provide more care for their daughter.

We had a new house now.

I followed them into a two story white abode which was slightly smaller than our Victorian styled blue house that Harry and his family now owned, but it was still quite large for only the two of them.

I did not have the time to look around the house or even admire its furniture. I directly followed my parents up the stairs until they round up in a corner and my mom burst into a room.

The room was the color of light lavender with butterflies and flowers as prints. There were photos of me everywhere and my medals and certificates were hung at one side of the room and a bookshelf of my books from when I was seven was at the corner. The white vanity cabinet at the other side of the room added life to my sanctuary but I knew if I looked inside it was probably half-empty.

I saw my body for the first time. I was breathing evenly through the oxygen that they have attached. My heart beat was slow in the monitor. My hair was so long it almost reached my knees. And I was thin. It felt different seeing my lifeless body for the first time. How was I going to go back into my body?

My mom was sobbing again as she continued to call out my name she was holding my hand asking me to wake up, as my dad beside her comforted her and cried silent tears. I felt my throat welling up. It pained me to see them hurting so bad because of me. I could have gone out of the bloody forest if only I remembered who I was. I could have been with them sooner.

Now, I only have until tomorrow to make myself wake up or I was truly going to be a ghost. I did not want that. Seeing my parents in pain would hurt me so, knowing I was alive gave me hope to dream. I could finally do the things I did not think I would be able to do. All I needed to do was wake up.

"Please, wake up." I begged my body as I stared down at it.

"Wake up." I repeated like a mantra over and over again. I was crying as loud as my mum now but the only difference is that, only I could hear my own grief. They won't know I was here. I had to make them know I was here.

"Wake up!" I had screamed. And at that moment I felt my knees weakening. I felt delirious and I was spiraling into a darkness that I never knew. But at the moment I did know…

Everything was about to change.

XXX

"Hermione please come back!" Jane had continued crying she did not notice Henry shaking her gently.

"Jane…look!" Jane raised her head and look at the monitor attached to Hermione and for the first time they saw that there were signs of Hermione's brain activity.

At that moment they knew that their daughter was going to wake up soon.

To be continued…

XXX

AN: So this story has been complete since last year. But since I'm lazy I don't proofread. For those of you who's reading this story for the first time, please tell me if you'd prefer for me to post the unproofreaded chapter two, or should I proofread it?

BTW: Next chapter is the last chapter and would be told in Harry's POV

Once again, this is my first story in portkey (Finally!). Is it up to par with this sites' standards? Hate me or Love me?

Review.