Unofficial Portkey Archive

Right Here Waiting by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Right Here Waiting

coriander

Hermione Granger was going home. After three years teaching charms at the Salem Witches Academy, she was finally going home. Hogwarts. Last week Hermione had received an owl from Professor Dumbledore asking her if she would be interested in taking Professor Flitwick's place in the fall. Hermione's heart leapt and she replied immediately saying she would be there to prepare the first week in August.

It had been hard leaving England three years ago, but leaving the States didn't compare. While she had made friends and dated over the past couple years, her heart was still back home, with him. She sighed deeply at the thought of her raven-haired best friend. She had left him standing in the airport. She had told him that she loved him and left. She hadn't even turned around for a response, not that she expected one. Harry would never see her as more than a friend.

She loved him. No, she still loves him. After three years you would think that her feelings would have diminished, but as the saying goes, "absence makes the heart grow fonder." She and Harry had written back and forth for a while. She was too embarrassed to mention her confession, and he had never brought it up either. Then the owls diminished. He was probably busy with being an Auror and she had buried herself in teaching. Now the letters were few and far between and told little of what was going on in their lives. Hermione absently wondered if he had a girlfriend. Not that it really mattered.

Hermione had been packing her belongings for the move when a picture caught her eye. She picked it up and sat down on the couch. Her fingers played over the images of a red-haired boy, a raven-haired boy with glasses and a bushy-haired girl. They were so happy then. The picture had been taken at the Leaving Feast of their seventh year. She looked closely at their smiling faces. The smiles were real, but did not reach their eyes. Their eyes were full of fear and worry. They knew that Voldemort would strike soon and Harry would have to face his arch nemesis, hopefully for the last time.

Hermione leaned back and closed her eyes, remembering the day before the final battle and how she wanted to tell Harry everything then. She wanted to pour her heart out, just in case the battle didn't turn out the way they planned. She wanted him to know, but everytime she stepped up to do so, Harry was pulled away from her for some other planning session or such. She had watched him throughout the afternoon. He was a true leader and hero. No wonder she had fallen in love with him. She realized at that moment that Harry would never feel the same way. She wasn't good enough for the likes of him. That day she vowed never to say anything.

She hadn't expected to say it when she was boarding the plane. It just felt natural. It felt right. The words escaped her lips before she could even think about it. She then turned away and ran down the ramp to the plane. As she sat in her seat, her fingers brushed her lips. She had kissed him; she didn't even realize she had done it. She knew that she had ruined everything she and Harry had with a small kiss and three little words.

Now she was going home. How could she face him after all this time? Her heart still ached for him. She longed for his touch; for him to return her affection. Would she be able to handle it if he didn't? Hermione fought back her tears as she decided that she would just have to do it. Handle it. Being his friend is better than having nothing at all. Better than the last three years.

She stood up, turned on her muggle stereo and resumed packing. After a while, one of her favorite songs came on, and she started humming along with it.

Well, here we are again
I guess it must be fate
We've tried it on our own
But deep inside we've known
We'd be back to set things straight

She chuckled slightly. It figured that this song would be playing right as she was thinking about Harry. She wondered if the words would ring true. She was going back home. She would most likely see him. They had been apart for so long. Her heart was telling her everything would work out, but Hermione, the pessimist that she is, doubted it. Harry was probably engaged to some beautiful blonde goddess. He was the "Most Eligible Wizard Bachelor" in their last year at Hogwarts and the year following. Of course, he wouldn't stay single very long. Someone would capture his heart and make him settle down.

Hermione never expected Harry to stay single. He didn't love her, why would he? He could have any witch in the free world, why waste it on a mousy know-it-all friend? She hadn't stayed single herself. Many of her colleagues had tried to set her up with a few men. None of them worked out in the end, mainly because they weren't him. She didn't mean to do it, but she ended up comparing every man she dated to Harry. He was perfect. He was well out of her league, but she kept doing it again and again.

I still remember when
Your kiss was so brand new
Every memory repeats
Every step I take retreats
Every journey always brings me back to you

Hermione found herself gazing out the window, wondering if it was worth it going back. She had a life here. His new life didn't include her. He didn't need her like she needed him. Maybe staying in the States would be better. Running away from her fears seemed an easier solution than facing them head on. She turned around and looked at all the boxes and the empty shelves. No, she had to go home. She would be at Hogwarts; he doesn't even have to know she's back.

She turned back toward the window and was startled by a large brown owl perched on the sill. She untied the parchment and gave the owl a treat from her pocket. Her eyes focused on the red wax seal with the initials HP embossed on it. It was from Harry. She shook her head at the irony of it all. Harry was the only thing that consumed her thoughts lately, and here in her hand was a letter from him.

She went back to the couch as the owl flew off. Hermione wondered why Hedwig didn't deliver it and then remembered that Harry's last letter had been sent by a different owl, too. She came to the conclusion that maybe Hedwig had passed away and Harry had replaced her. She swallowed the lump in her throat as she tossed her thoughts of Harry's owl out of her mind and slid a finger underneath the seal, breaking it.

She slowly unrolled the parchment. This letter was longer than the last five combined. He was probably going to tell her about the new love of his life and how they were going to get married and have lots of children, blah, blah, blah.

She let her eyes roam to the beginning and started to read. She almost dropped the letter when she read his words. He loved her, too! So, he had heard her at the airport. Why didn't he say anything? Why did he let her go? If he had asked her to stay, she would have without blinking an eye. Hermione fiercely wiped her tears away as she continued reading the letter.

"There's a song that reminds him of me? 'Right Here Waiting'? Oh, Gods, all this time, he did feel the same and he was too scared to say it. He waited for me? Me?" she thought out loud to her almost empty flat. "I'm coming home, Harry. I love you." Her heart burned at the implications. He loved her and she loved him. They lost contact because it was killing them inside to be so far apart. She stood back up and fumbled for her wand. With a flick of her wrist, the stereo turned off and all of her belongings floated into the appropriate boxes. She shrunk them down and put them in her carry-all. She wanted to go home. She was ready to go home.

Without wasting another minute, she called for a taxi to take her to the airport. She needed to go now. She couldn't wait. Harry was waiting for her; he had always been waiting for her. She had wasted so much time; she didn't want to waste anymore. After settling herself into the backseat of the yellow cab, she let her mind drift back to the day she left for the States. Had Harry tried to stop her? Had he run after her? Why didn't he say anything in our previous letters? Why…

Her thoughts were interrupted when the cabbie asked her if she wanted some music. She nodded and thanked him. It was a long drive to the airport from her flat and the music would help pass the time. Her heart was racing, she never expected Harry to love her. He was her best friend. He was always there for her. He stood by her when Viktor broke up with her. He stood by her when she and Ron had split up. Whenever someone broke her heart, Harry was there to pick up the pieces.

Hermione laughed out loud, startling the cabbie, when she heard the first notes to the song she had heard earlier. She sat back and relaxed into the seat, listening to the music. The words fit she and Harry so well.

Well, here we are again
I guess it must be fate
We've tried it on our own
But deep inside we've known
We'd be back to set things straight

I still remember when
Your kiss was so brand new
Every memory repeats
Every step I take retreats
Every journey always brings me back to you

After All the stops and starts
We keep coming back to these two hearts
Two angels who've been rescued from the fall
After All that we've been through
It all comes down to me and you
I guess it's meant to be
Forever you and me, After All

When love is truly right
(This time it's truly right )
It lives from year to year
It changes as it goes
Oh, and on the way it grows
But it never disappears

After All the stops and starts
We keep coming back to these two hearts
Two angels who've been rescued from the fall

After All that we've been through
It all comes down to me and you
I guess it's meant to be
Forever you and me, After All

Always just beyond my touch
You know I needed you so much
After All, what else is livin' for?

After All the stops and starts
We keep coming back to these two hearts
Two angels who've been rescued from the fall

After All that we've been through
It all comes down to me and you
I guess it's meant to be
Forever you and me, After All

Hermione ran through the airport to the ticket counter and handed her tickets to the attendant. "Excuse, me ma'am. These tickets are for next week," the attendant said as she started to hand the tickets back to Hermione.

Hermione held up her hand, tried to slow her breathing and spoke urgently, "I need to exchange them for the next available flight to London. I can't wait until next week."

The attendant looked at her strangely and then looked at her computer. After a few anxious moments she smiled and looked at the frazzled woman in front of her. "Well, it seems that you are in luck. The next flight leaves in one hour. Will this be one-way or round-trip?"

"One-way," she said without thinking twice.

"I have one seat in first-class. Is that all right?" Hermione nodded and thanked the woman profusely. After a minute the attendant smiled and said, "Good luck," as she handed Hermione the tickets.

Hermione smiled back. "It's not luck, it's fate," she said as said as she ran off toward the gate. She couldn't sit still once she was there. She wanted to get on the plane and be in the air, on her way home. Finally, after what seemed like hours, Hermione was able to board the plane. She sat in the large First Class seat. If she hadn't been so excited, she might have noticed all the foot room she had and how comfortable the seat was. But nothing affected her at all. All she could think about was going home and running into Harry's arms. She had waited so long for him, she wasn't going to waste one breath of time.

As the plane took off, Hermione found herself drained and her eyes were becoming heavy. Soon her breathing slowed and evened out as she started to fall asleep. It was the most relaxed she had been all day. She was happy. She was going home. Harry loved her. She loved him. This was right. Hermione slept a good portion of the plane ride, dreaming of Harry. They had been through so much together and it always came back to the two of them. Maybe they were meant to be together after all.

*

A/N - nope, still not done. I will try to update later in the week. It make take me while, it depends on if my kids give me time alone. Thanks for reading.