Unofficial Portkey Archive

Till Death Do Us Part by nmffnurse
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Till Death Do Us Part

nmffnurse

Since I love the movie 'A Walk to Remember'. I decided to do a Hogwarts Version with Ginny in the Jamie role and Draco in the Landon Carter role.

. Anyways, be kind…..I haven't had this beta read, just something I wrote on the fly from too many viewings of my fav movie.

Ciao….

Chap1

"Would you like to talk about it?" the wizard psychohealer had asked.

Ginny sighed frustrated. Her healer had suggested she see a psychohealer in order for her to learn how to cope with what he said was the inevitable.

"If you mean death, no I don't want to talk about it!" Ginny snapped staring furiously out the window at nothing in particular, wondering how it could be such a bright summers day when inside she felt such darkness.

The psychohealer looked up from his parchment where he was taking notes. "I've talked to the attending healer that is assigned to your case. No one can be a part of, or touch Dark magic and not be affected in some way .

Ginny turned an angry gaze towards the psychohealer. "And I'm paying with my life!" she shouted . " I'm going to die because some evil hateful man placed Voldie- Fucking-morts diary…" Ginny saw the healer wince but continued, "in the hands of a naive 11 year old!"

The psychohealer leaned forward studying Ginny through his spectacles, "What if I told you there is a way to extend your life. The disease of course, will eventually run its course. Instead of a life expectancy of a year, you may be able to live up to 5 years based on studies the St Mungo's research team has gathered from similar case histories."

Ginny mulled it over in her mind. One year, 5 years, what was the difference. Ginny knew the difference was that she cared. If she let the disease take her without a fight her family would be hurt. Ginny reasoned with herself. She was a Weasley, a brave Gryffindor and she would fight it.

The healer continued, "What makes you happy?"

Ginny wrinkled her eyebrow in confusion, "What does that have to do with anything?"

He interrupted her sternly, "If you really want to live, answer the question without interruptions."Ginny named the first things that came to mind, "My family, the burrow, my friends at Hogwarts, playing Quidditch, and singing."

"What makes you angry?" was his next question.

Ginny looked out at the window again. The sun was streaming in the window with out a cloud in the sky. She wondered how many days she would have left and made herself promise to appreciate more of nature, "Volde …I mean He-Who must not be named for taking away my life, Lucius Malfoy for giving me the curse and his son who I will have to see at Hogwarts. Draco Malfoy a prat to everyone,but to me especially, he is a constant reminder of the evil his father bestowed upon me."

The Psychohealer's brow was furrowed in deep concentration, "Anger, Miss Weasley feeds hate. Hate feeds Dark Magic."

"I don't understand." Ginny shook her head in confusion.

"At St Mungo's they have discovered that certain curses can be lifted partially or even entirely based on a person's emotional state. Your anger, Miss Weasley will only feed the curse. What you need to do is go beyond anger. You need to find peace."

Ginny asked skeptically, "How do I find this peace?"

The psychohealer reached into his desk pulling out a leather bound book and handed it to Ginny.

Ginny hands shook as she held the book," I don't write in diaries anymore."

"That's not a diary. What I would like for you to do is make a list of goals you would like to accomplish. It's important that you concentrate on living and not death. That you concentrate on love and not hate."

***

He had hexed those stupid 3rd years and was quite pleased with the results, they were talking a bit too loudly in the hall. A Hufflepuff raced past him with long bunny ears much to the delight of Blaise,Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy.

"Prefect another student is running down the halls" Pansy pointed to 6th year Colin Creevey.

"No more running in the halls!" Goyle grabbed the boy by his collar. Colin was rather short for his age and trembled when Draco who stood a head taller flashed him a fierce look. "Well, if it isn't Potter's boyfriend."

"I am not" He squirmed trying to free himself and becoming tangled in the camera he always had slung onto his neck.

"Leave him alone" he turned to see the Gryffindor prefects Ron & Hermione.

"Why if it isn't my favorite couple, Weasel and his mudblood girlfriend. It was nice of you to come. When are you leaving?"

Ron looked furiously at him "I'll kill you Malfoy!"

Draco was a little taken aback . Many times he had uttered that insult, never before had he ever been truly scared that the Weasel would do anything. Draco was good at reading people and looking into Weasley's face he was shocked to see that if Hermione hadn't held her little boyfriend back, Weasley might have killed him.

He let Colin go and Hermione grabbed Ron's arm and turned him around. Draco Malfoy wouldn't let that red headed shit scare him. As soon as he saw the two prefects turn the corner he caught up to Colin with his wand ready and yelled,"OCULARIS NOX!! "

"I can't see! I can't see!" Colin screamed.

Draco had just learned the chant for temporary blindness over the summer. Anger over his father's imprisonment was temporarily abated by watching Colin run into walls. This was fun. A crowd had gathered and laughed as Colin bumped into the walls. After he was satisfied that Colin was sufficiently embarrassed, he would remove it. Before Draco could conduct the counterspell, Colin ran down the corridor. The hall filled with screams.

****

A sickening crash filled the hallway. Colin in his blindness had flung himself out the window.

Draco held out his wand "WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA, " he shouted . Never had he meant it to go this far. The window's were caked with blood. He looked out the window and let out a sigh of relief to see Colin floating in mid-air, he hadn't hit the ground. He floated him back into the hallway.

The students gasped in horror,"He's not breathing!"

Blood stained his robes. Colin let out a slow moan. Draco racked his brain and started to mumble healing curses.

"Dammit!" He couldn't remember the spell for stopping blood loss.

"Stupefy!" The last thing he saw were flashes of light.

***

"Mr Malfoy, ahh, you're awake."

Everyting was a blur, gradually Draco made out the distinctive shapes of Dumbledore and Snape. "How is Colin" he managed to say, trying not to sound scared about the fact that he might be sent to Azkaban. He could only imagine the Dementor's kiss. His body, hollow without a soul. Not wanting to seem vulnerable to Dumbledore or Snape he straightened up in bed.

"He will be regain his health thanks to Madame Pomfrey, although he may need to be in the medical wing for many weeks. "

They were going to expel him and there was nothing he could do about it, he couldn't have his father get him out of this mess, now that he was rotting away in Azkaban. Worse yet, perhaps that's where they would send him. Draco avoided Professor Snape's burning gaze, who for the first time looked greatly disappointed.

Before he could ask Dumbledore answered "I have chosen not to expel you Mr. Malfoy .. It's your final year here at Hogwarts and I think it would be most unwise to take that course of action."

That's not what everyone else will say, Draco thought.

"You still will have to come to consequences for your actions, Professor Snape and I have devised appropriate punishment."

It took much control for Draco to not sound concerned, he asked coolly, "Which is?

Snape interrupted " You will tutor 6th years and below in Potions"

Dumblebore interjected " Hogwarts has a new Drama club and you will attend auditions for the upcoming Hogwarts play."

"What- I have quidditch practice…"

"You'll have plenty of time for quidditch I assure you Young Malfoy. Now, these things must be done or I am afraid you will not graduate.

***

Curtains were drawn around a bed on the far side of the hospital wing, Draco surmised this must be where Colin lay. Already Creevey had 20 or so visitors and Malfoy had none. A pang of jealousy hit him . Not one person had visited him. For the past hour he heard students visiting Creevey, whispering about how Malfoy was serving Voldemort. Draco was glad when Creevey's visitors left. Why did he feel so empty. Should he not be pleased that his reputation was still aligned with the Dark Lord?

Next to where Colin Creevey lay were the shadows of Nurse Pomfrey and an assistant. "This is for Creevey dear, and when you are done administering this potion, please give this to Mr. Malfoy."

Draco turned around to face the opposite wall not wanting to be bothered by anyone.He heard her steps come close the the bed and suddenly he was looking straight at her knees, He pulled himself up. "GO AWAY!" He said rubbing his forehead. It hurt like hell

She placed the elixir on his nightstand. "This will help get rid of your headache. You were stupefied by both Ron and Hermione. If you don't want the pain for a week I suggest you drink this now."

He looked up to see a mass of red hair,"Well, if it isn't the Weasley's little sister, come to finish the job" his voice dripped with contempt as he grabbed the bottle. "Are they paying you for this Weasel? Making you take care of death eater Malfoy and his first victim Creevey. Perhaps you can buy yourself some new robes now. Maybe you'd be interested in my new death eater robes, they are made of the finest silk"

"If you don't shut your mouth I'll be forced to do the Bat-Bogey Hex!"

Draco answered sarcastically, "Oh yes, what pleasant memories." Remembering back to 5th year when Potter and his friends were up to no good, once again. He had told her to move aside and would have smacked her had she not pulled out her wand first. He'd been surprised and taken aback The littlest Weasley was threatening him with her wand. He laughed at her then, knowing she wouldn't dare . She caught him with the element of surprise. Had she got into trouble for that? Not at all and it burned him up inside. Slowly he felt the pain subside. Getting up quickly, Draco shoved the blankets to the floor, glaring at her as he walked out slamming the door behind him.

***

"He probably has the Dark Mark already."

"I can't believe he's still a Prefect."

"Dumbledore should have gotten him the Dementor's Kiss"

Draco heard the whispers in the Great Hall as he sat down for breakfast, pretending not to hear. He didn't want to give anyone the satisfaction that those comments had affected him. Those students of the other houses who usually avoided Draco Malfoy decided to glare at him. Some of his own housemates that shot him dirty glances. The majority of the Slytherin's were proud of him, patting him on the back, "One less Gryffindor" someone had told him. Perhaps they wanted to get on his good side for when Draco became Voldie's right hand man, or so the rumors went.

He wanted to shout, You fool, it was just a prank. A prank that went horribly wrong!"I didn't do it for Fucking Voldemort, I did it because I am a stupid 17 year old boy. Although his father was in prison, he was sure Lucius would hear about it. This would no doubt make his father proud. And wasn't that what he wanted, he told himself bitterly.

"How's your headache?" Blasie had inquired with an annoying smirk. A smirk he had copied from Draco himself. He wanted to smack that smirk right off Blaise's face, as well as wring his neck. Blaise and the lot of them had seen him struck down by Weasel and the Mudblood and had done absolutely nothing. Perhaps they had laughed in common room. He was sure of it.

"Fine!" he snapped ending the start of the conversation and pushing his unfinished plate to the greedy mouths of Crabbe and Goyle.

The owls had come dropping their packages and letters. He wondered what his mother would send him today. His mother had been spoiling him even more since the lockup of his father. Now there were only two of them and Narcissa wanted to let him know she would always be there. She wasn't one to hug or kiss but she showed her affection in other ways, mainly by lavishing him with presents. Draco didn't want to think where his mother was getting the galleons to pay for the daily presents. The Ministry of Magic had torn apart Malfoy Manor and seized his father's Gringotts bank account. That terrible day the Ministry and the Aurors had come, he tried to stop them uttering every single curse he could remember but was stunned by the Aurors. When he had come to, nothing of value was left at the manor.

An owl dropped a box of chocolates. Crabbe and Goyle looked at him expectantly and Pansy fluttered her eyes, but since they didn't share in the blame about the incident yesterday, he wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of sharing his present.

Draco looked discreetly at the Gryffindor table, noticing the one empty spot where Creevey should have been. A slight twinge was felt in the pit of his stomach. Draco wondered if it was guilt and stabbed his eggs with his fork when he felt eyes burning into his. Draco met the gaze of Potter who was staring at him intensely. He knew that look for he had stared down many with that gaze, it was the look of hatred and rage. Potter no doubt wished he was the one who had stupefied him. It probably pissed him off to know that his sidekick and Granger had been the ones to punish him.

Draco fingered his wand wishing he could shout Inflammare and watch the whole Gryffindor table go up in smoke. He wanted to watch those haughty Gryffindor's burn for branding him a death eater. It would please him especially to see Harry Potter writhe in flames. He deserved it for what he did to his father and for making his mother cry. He had heard her sobbing every night at the manor and it made him upset that he was useless in helping resolve her grief, being that he was now the only Malfoy male. Then he saw the little Weasel, staring at him. She quickly averted her gaze, "Probably looking for my dark mark", he thought.

***

Ginny looked away from where Malfoy sat, thinking about the elder Malfoy and how many innocent lives had been ruined. She turned her head and pretended to be interested in the conversation she was having with Diana another 6th year but her attention was elsewhere. Ginny noticed Harry Potter shaking his head and nodding at the important intervals as Hermione and Ron talked. Ginny was observant, she always had been. He wasn't really listening to them.

Harry's mind, no doubt, was on Sirius . Barely did Harry speak with anyone about Sirius's death. Whenever Ron and Hermione tried to broach the subject he would snap at them. They tried to avoid the subject of Sirius with Harry, as he was much more pleasant to talk to. When Harry was moody everyone decided it was best to avoid him. Ginny knew he was in that mood now. She watched Harry leave the table abruptly without saying goodbye to anyone. Ron and Hermione had given up chasing after him last year. This was something he would have to deal with.

Ginny excused herself telling Diana they would talk later. She followed him into the crisp September morning onto the Hogwarts grounds near the edge of the Forbidden Forest. She saw him take something from his pocket. A mirror. He whispered something to it.

"It will never work" she heard him whisper

"Harry?"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" he twirled around his cape almost hitting her in the face. Harry's gaze lowered, "I-I'm sorry" not realizing it was Ginny.

She didn't know what to say to him instead resting her hand on his back, giving him a comforting pat.

"I miss him, Ginny." Harry's voice cracked as tears rolled down his face.

Ginny instinctively put her hands around him and he fell into her sobbing. In return, Harry tentatively put his arms around her. Had Harry done that a few years ago ,she would have been in heaven. Now Harry was more like a brother to her. She didn't know when it had happened, perhaps time does heal all wounds she thought. Ginny hoped time would heal Harry's as well.

Harry looked up at the sky.

"There's hundreds of them."

"Hundreds of what Harry?"

"Thestrals, just be glad you don't see them. It's a sight, a feeling you couldn't understand." Breaking away from her he strode up the will towards Hogwarts.

Ginny looked up, watching as thestrals covered the sky.

***

Draco slammed the door as he walked into the potions classroom. He should be outside practicing Quidditch but he was here tutoring idiots who wouldn't know a cauldron if it hit them on the head. But this was his punishment, he was already counting down the days until his graduation when he wouldn't have to deal with these imbeciles.

"No, no, no! Good god they're letting anyone in Hogwarts aren't they?" Draco was exasperated. The 5th year hufflepuff had just added Dung beetle instead of Dragon's blood. "Do you intend to kill us all?"

The 5th year meekly answered, "s-sorry"

"Try sounding like you are not afflicted with the iq of a squib!" he yelled stealing one of Snape's lines he repeatedly threw at the Gryffindor's. The next row down he noticed Ron Weasley's sister tutoring another Gryffindor.

She looked up at him and he glared right back at her with a gaze known to stop scarhead in his tracks.

Ginny proceeded to turn her attention to the younger pupil, "5 drops is right! You'll have no problems getting an outstanding."

Hearing her say this with so much enthusiasm turned his stomach. There was no way he could fake being happy tutoring dimwits. Finally happy when the session was over, Draco walked out the door noticing the Weasley girl next to him.

"Perhaps you should try tutoring with, with a different approach"

Draco was surprised to hear her speak - no - more surprised that she dare speak to him. "Be syrupy nice like you weasel, no thanks." He kept walking picking up his pace.

"I prefer Ginny to Weasel thank you, it's much nicer, don't you agree?"

Draco's drawl was filled with sarcasm, "Well, Ginny death eaters aren't nice ".

"You're no death eater." She said confidently crossing her arms, "I- I saw you in the hallway trying to stop Colin's bleeding"

His grey eyes darkened as he met her gaze, "Out of my way Weasel" he pushed her away. Draco was angry that she had seen him in his weakest, angry that everyone already thought him a death eater and no one else but her knew that he never meant to hurt Creevey.

"ARE-you going to visit Colin? Madame Pomfrey say he's improving"

"Is this you're way of trying to converse because if it is then your social skills are extremely lacking. Why don't you shut your mouth like you do whenever you're around Potter and friends."

"Please don't say things you know nothing about"

"I think I know enough about you Ginny. You're Weaseley's sister always following in the footsteps of the mighty Trio.With them you always have your claptrap shut. Except of course when you were with those foul look alike brothers of yours, then you do nothing but hex people and play jokes on others without ever getting a point taken away from Gryffindor . You probably only joined the quidditch team just so you could be around your darling scarhead. You are so afraid of being without the great Potter and friends that you managed to get yourself in 7th year. How you managed that is beyond me, given your family's intelligence level." he watched her face turn a tinge of red, no doubt anger but continued,"Everything is just sunshine and daises with you"

Ginny just raised her eyebrows, "That's very observant….and fairly predictable"

With that Draco turned on his heels not bothering to waste his breath on a retort.

***

Ginny walked up to Madame Pomfrey's office bidding a hello to Sir Nicholas as he passed.

"Oh Ginny dear," she handed her a vial, "Here's your medication."

Ginny took the bitter concoction all at once. She had taken it most of the summer and she still wasn't used to the taste.

"How are you feeling today?" Madame Pomfrey asked as she did a temperature checking spell.

"I'm fine" Ginny replied honestly, the one thing she didn't want Madame Pomfrey or anyone else who knew was to treat her as if she was broken. She felt healthy right now.

Her mind wandered to the events of the summer as she made her way to Gryffindor tower. It was the bruises she noticed at first. She had thought it was from the pick up quidditch games she had played with her brothers, but they appeared suddenly without any injury. Then it had been weakness and fatigue and night sweats. That's when her parents had taken her to St Mungo's .

"I understand Ginny played quidditch. That has probably lengthened her life, activities delay onset, but I am afraid her condition is now beyond that…"

Ginny's mind reeled at what the healer was saying. She thought back to her first year. Lucius Malfoy had slipped a book into her bag. She had been possessed by Voldemort but Harry had come to her rescue. Soon after she started to feel ill. The symptoms became more prevalent. The summer before her 6th year it had become far too frequent. After her parents had brought her to St Mungo' s they discovered that she had been cursed with a muggle disease similar to Leukemia.. There was no cure. Everything was a blur to Ginny…her life expectancy was at the most 18 or 19 if she was lucky.

"…It's best to have her live her life as normally as possible."

Ginny burst out St Mungo's to catch a breath of fresh air. She didn't want to hear the Healer's words .Ginny gasped trying to catch her breath. She felt her brother Ron hug her, his body wracked in pain. " I should have protected you"

Now it was Ginny's turn to comfort her favorite brother, "There's nothing you could have done.."

"Damn those malfoys!" Ron had sobbed.

Her mother wanted her to stay home but she had no intention. She wanted to live her life as the doctor's at St Mungo's had instructed -as normally as one could for only having a life that would end in shortly. . The only other person who knew about her disease besides her family were select teachers and Madame Pomfrey . She was given permission to test out of 6th year classes and was now in 7th year with her brother. Not even Harry or Hermione knew about her sickness, which she made Ron promise not to tell. She had told them there was a special Healer's internship that she wanted to enroll in and she would have to graduate early to be accepted. It wasn't' really a lie. If the Gods granted her an extra year she would go. She was 3rd in class behind Hermione and Draco Malfoy. Impending Death had a way of pushing one to complete life Goals and Ginny had hers.

Ginny was broken out of her reverie by the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Password?"

"Catch the snitch"

***

She arrived just in time for the Quidditch meeting where Ron and Harry were discussing strategies for their upcoming match against Slytherin. Ron walked over to her, "Gin you don't have to play this match if you aren't up to it." He whispered quietly.

Harry and Hermione who was studying nearby looked up inquiringly. "Ron please stop fussing. I feel fine, besides without me you 'd lose even if Harry gets the snitch."

Ron gave her a concerned smile, "But if at any time you feel sick, Gin, Please tell me, I can always pull some of our reserve players."

"Pull out Ginny? Ron are you crazy she's our best Chaser!" Harry was quite confused upon hearing snippets of their conversation.

Ginny blushed happy to receive Harry's compliment.

"I was just suggesting… you know she's busy with homework and all, what with being a 7th year now, Right Gin?"

Hermione interjected, "If my memory serves me correctly it's you, Ron, who needs to finish homework!"

Ginny laughed to see them bicker back and forth. They had just started dating and they still argued but just looking one could tell how much they deeply loved each other. They would be married, after graduation and she was afraid that she wouldn't be there to congratulate the happy couple. No brother sister dance. Ginny felt an ache knowing she might never live long enough to feel that same sensation.

. ***

Pansy grabbed onto Draco's arm. " "Hogsmeade weekend is coming up and my favorite Slytherin has forgotten my invite"

"I'm a tad bit busy Pansy. You do realize I have obligations? " he returned to his book. Pretending to read it, wishing he had now gone to the library instead of the Slytherin common room.

"I saw you snogging that Catherine from Ravenclaw! You're going with her aren't you"

He removed Pansy's arm,"It's none of your business who I snog, and for your information she snogged me"

"You lead me on Draco! I've waited for you to love me and you sleep with anything that moves. You don't even have the decency to find someone in our own house"

"That's because he's had everyone in Slytherin" Blasie laughed. "I'll take your left overs Draco."

"Shut your foul mouth!" Pansy punched Blasie in the arm."You haven't even looked at me since term started Draco. Should I get down to my knickers now, Will you notice me then?!"

"I told you Pansy when the year started that we were finished, over."

She looked at him not feeling ready to give up "I'll be waiting for you no matter how long it takes," she whispered.

"It's over Pansy"

***

"Cross that off my list" Ginny sat down with quill in hand applying checkmarks to the goals she had completed thus far. She had seen the announcement for the school play and intended to try out.

HOGWARTS DRAMA CLUB

Auditions this Saturday

Please see Professor McGonagal for more information.

She had contacted the professor and found, much to her delight, that the play would have one singing part. Ginny intended to audition for it.. At home in the burrow she remembered singing songs around a burning bonfire, singing while clearing knomes. Yes, those were sunshine and daisy times. That was before the diary. So she stopped singing and withdrew into herself. Her brother Charlie had noticed while he was visiting. "Why aren't you singing anymore"

One day out of the blue, she asked her father if perhaps she could have singing lessons. Wholeheartedly her father agreed and she had her first lessons with a muggle teacher.

"You have perfect pitch. A bright future is ahead of you Miss Weasley." Her instructor had told her.

She tried out for a few choirs her instructor recommended. She had been picked for all that she had auditioned for. The London Youth Choir had offered her a scholarship but Molly Weasley thought it best for Ginny to finish her Wizarding Studies. Ginny was disappointed at first. Yes, she had to live as a muggle if she joined but her love of singing would make her overcome that. With the war looming she understood now why her mother wanted her to finish Hogwarts. It was important for every Wizard to be educated in the magical arts before Voldemort's eventual return Ginny added thoughtfully, and his defeat.

Ginny never told her family that she had harbored silly dreams to one day sing professionally, this would be the next best thing.

She had run into Blasie Zabini in Professor McGonagall's office, surprised a Slytherin was trying out for the play. He had asked her if she wanted to practice. After much thought she agreed. Life was too short to dwell on house differences.

"Won't your housemates be upset if I'm in the Slytherin Common Room?" she asked.

"You'll be with me, besides Draco is audtioning too." That surprised Ginny even more. Maybe there was more to Malfoy than she meets the eye. She decided to try to bury the hatchet. Bury the hate and ask Draco if he wanted to practice.

Ginny watched him walk into the library and she followed. Draco spun around feeling someone at his heels. Almost falling back at his sudden movement she managed to squeak, "Hello Malfoy"

Draco looked down startled that he had run into the Weasley again. She was getting to be a nuisance. She was a connection to Potter, thus a reminder of everything that had broken up his family. He didn't want to have to look at her freckled face. "What Weasel?" he said letting his annoyance seep through.

Ginny decided then that if Malfoy couldn't be nice for 5 seconds , she didn't want him practicing with her at all. "Just wanted to say Hello is all." She turned around her face burning. Draco looked at her suspiciously then returned to his book on curse breaking.

***

Draco finished adding the last ingredients to his potion and wrote the results on his parchment. Feeling familiar eyes on him ,he looked at the row in front of him to see Ginny with the famous trio. She quickly glanced at him and looked away. For weeks he had caught her staring. It was as if she was making some sort of decision. Whatever it was he didn't want to be a part of it. He tried to avoid a confrontation with her bodyguards but Draco refused to play nice now.

"Done staring at me young weasel, perhaps you are copying? At least you've found an intelligent person to get your answers from"

Goyle and Pansy snickered.

Ron immediately jumped up overturning his cauldron, his wand inches away from Draco's face.

"Come to save the day slug eater? You're sister seems to be quite a cheater always sneaking peaks at my potions. "

"Ron" Hermione wailed.

"She wasn't staring at you." Potter added

"20 points from Gryffindor for this disruption" Snape stated as he walked briskly into class.

"Bloody hell" ron croaked

"50 points"

"That's not fair" whispered Harry

"100 points"

***

He was going to end this once and for all. He followed her as she laughed down the hallways with Dean Thomas and Neville Longbottom. As she rounded a corner he grabbed her wrist pulling her towards the an empty corridor. "Explain yourself little Weasel. Did you get tired of looking at Potter? Decide to stalk a Slytherin? I have to say your taste is exceptionally better this time around."

"I told you my name is Ginny"

"Ok then Miss Ginny, why do I always feel your eyes burning a hole through my back? Why are you always trying to talk to me when I have never talked to you in the almost 7 years I have been here. And - why oh why would you want to talk to me when my hatred for Potthead and friends is legendary?"

"Be friends with someone you don't like"

He looked at her confused loosening his grip on her wrist.

"What in Merlin's name are you talking about, I am quite convinced that you are insane.."

"Be friends with someone you don't like. It's on my life list .That's 5. "

"What an honor" he mocked in a sing song voice "I don't think I want your friendship"

"No, but you desperately need it" she said seeing for the first time loneliness in his eyes. She saw how he always stiffened when someone mentioned his father locked away in Azkaban. Try as he might to pretend it didn't affect him, she noticed differently. She wondered if he ever shared his feelings with anyone but thinking about the rest of Slytherin house, she guessed not.

Draco couldn't believe she stood there pointing a finger at his inadequacies. Yes he had friends, didn't he? Truthfully he knew most of them were by his side due to his social standing and his money. When his father was imprisoned, he could see the laugh and glee in their eyes. They enjoyed seeing the Malfoy name dragged through the dirt. True friends they were not . He quickly changed the subject asking, "Pray tell what's #1"

Ginny's mouth quirked with humor, "Can't tell you, that's…private"

Her eyes brightened a bit and Draco felt a small smile come to his lips imagining exactly what her #1 was, then remembering she was a Weasley shook the dreadful thought from his brain, "What is #4?"

"Find a cure for diseases"

"I didn't know you had desires to be a healer, tell me the rest save for your precious #1"

"#3 is fall in love."

"Not fall in love with Potter? Well I guess there's hope for the rest of Hogwarts. So Miss Ginny continue." Draco looked at her and saw a blush creep over her face. The same blush she had when Harry Potter paid her even the slightest attention. He felt pleased that he had caused it.

"My #2 would be to defeat Voldemort, with help of course."

"Impressive little one, I am surprised that's not #1. Well Weasley, I mean Miss Ginny I have my own list too."

She looked at him expectantly," What's on your list"

Draco knew he was being a bit too friendly with the Weasley, out in a public hallway no less, he decided to cease the conversation and send her back to Gryffindor where she could chatter on all she liked. He of course had more important things to attend to, "My #1 is- STAY AWAY FROM YOU!." With that he turned on his wheels and walked off.

***

Draco felt in need of a shower after Quidditch practice. He had kept his team in the air over 2 hours. He heard them sware and call him an assortment of names behind his back. Slave driver being the nicest one. This year he would beat Potter. He would not have all of Hogwarts laughing at him this year No more humiliation he swore to himself. He'd even owl the snitch to to Azkaban.

He felt in pleasant spirits later as he returned from the Prefects bathroom sitting in his favorite leather chair. Pansy sat across from him chattering on about new fashions that he knew more about than she did, but he let her talk away . Crabbe, Goyle and Millicent were eating sweets again as usual making right pigs of themselves.

What caught his eye was a flash of red hair in the corner with none other than Blaise Zabini.

"What is she doing here?" he demanded as he walked over to the darkened corner looking down at both of them seated on a leather sofa he knew was usually reserved for lovers trysts.

"Auditions for the play, surely you remember Draco?" Blaise said looking smug with the secret of Draco's punishment "Aren't you audtioning too?"

Draco felt a twinge of something he couldn't rightfully name, Blaise was too much like him. Draco had brought many girls up here in the secluded corner. He had no doubt what Blasie 's intentions were even if the naive Gryffindor didn't see it. Draco was not in the mood to see Harry Potter and Ron Weasley try to storm into Slytherin tonight.

"We were going over lines Malfoy," Ginny showed him the playbook. "Blasie told me you were going to audition, perhaps you'd like to practice with us."

Draco couldn't believe Blaise had the audacity of bringing in a Gryffindor, a Weasley at that. He looked at both of them, studying Ginny. They didn't have the look of a couple who had been caught in a snogging session. He realized Blaise for once was telling him the truth, but no matter, he wanted the redheaded nuisance gone.

"I want your Gryffindor whore out now!" Draco didn't care if he was losing his usual cool demeanor, "Was this your #1 Ginny? Shagging a Slytherin?"

A smack resounded in the air. The other Slytherin's looked in awe, noticing the redhead in their midst. "HOW DARE YOU!" Ginny's eyes conveyed the fury within her. She muttered a goodbye to Blasie and stepped out of the Slytherin common room.

Draco brought his hand to his cheek still feeling the sting.

"You right deserved that" Blaise stated.

Draco gritted his teeth. Now that his father was in prison Blasie had taken to talking back to him. Just 2 years before Blaise would've jumped off a bridge if Draco had told him. He was to him what Creevey had been to Potter. But things had changed.

"I don't want to hear your opinion. I know you Blaise. A slytherin through and through even if you are consorting with mudblood lovers."

"If I can get a good shag, does it matter?" Blaise laughed.

"You'd want Potter's seconds?, Tsk, Tsk, Unlike you, I choose not to slum." Draco threw at him. He thought better of himself. There was no way he would taint himself with low class wizards.

"She's bloody beautiful Draco, she's not Weasley's little sister anymore," Blaise continued, "If it takes acting in this play to get her to notice me then so be it."

"Pathetic" Draco remarked.

***

"He didn't try anything, did he?" Diana had asked as Ginny stormed into Gryffindor tower red hair flying. Ginny didn't answer her but Diana rambled on, " He is a Slytherin. I told you not to go there. He 's good looking and all , I mean if you like the dark and handsome type, hell Draco Malfoy is an even cuter Slytherin but you wouldn't find me studying with him! You never can trust those slimy gits if you ask me."

"No, he didn't touch me!" she slammed her playbook down while she looked into the fire glad that no one else was there to see her temper flare.

"Ok…" Diana said hesitantly not knowing what may have angered her friend. "then you're mad he didn't touch you?"

Ginny sighed, "Gods no!" she continued, explaining to Diana what happened.

"What a prat! Malfoy deserved that slap. I bet it felt great"

Ginny nodded agreeing to the prat part. "He makes me so angry, I really have to learn to control it. If you don't mind Diana, I'm going to bed."

She ascended the stairs to the girls dormitory, feeling weak wishing she hadn't skipped dinner in the great hall and fell into a fitful sleep.

***

Saturday morning dawned. Most Students were gone into Hogsmead but he had an audition for the school play. He decided to get there late on purpose, maybe they'd give him a small role. He didn't relish the thought of acting in some stupid play. Draco walked in the Great Hall to hear Professor Mcgonagall's voice welcome him, "Mr Malfoy glad you could finally join us." So much for not being noticed. He smirked and walked to a seat closest to the edge of the stage.

"You missed the singing auditions they were really good" said a Ravenclaw apparently trying to make conversation,"Ginny had the voice of an angel"

His eyes quickly darted to the opposite stage. Draco rolled his eyes, first potions and now this play. Had the earth cursed him to forever be surrounded by Weasley's?.

"This play was written by our own Luna Lovegood"

At this everyone clapped except for Draco who sat there with his hands behind his head leaning agains the wall.

"It's about a club in Knockturn Alley operated by A wizard named Julius……"

Draco stared out the window letting McGonagall drone on, wishing he was anywhere but here. Gods almighty he should be kicking butt in quidditch now. Or he should be snogging that pretty Ravenclaw- or was she a Hufflepuff? Any other weekend he'd be in Hogsmeade buying loads of chocolates or having fun by making Potter, Granger and Weasley's life a living hell. But no, he was stuck in Hogwarts with a bunch of rejects.

"…….at the end a beautiful club singer is sent by a secret order of good wizards.Adriana is a beautiful Veela who sings for Julius in hopes of luring him away from the dark forces of Knockturn Alley. After hearing Adriana sing Julius falls in love with Adriana and runs off with her into the sunset."

"That's a load of drivel" Draco didn't realize he had said this outloud but at the same time he didn't care who heard .

"That's my drivel dear, and you will be saying it." Luna snapped her carrot earrings swaying towards Draco.

What Draco wouldn't do now to hex that mindless Luna Lovegood. Her head just wasn't screwed on too tight.

"…The part of Merlin goes to Neville Longbottom, the part of the wicked wizard goes to Blaise Zabini…….Ginny will play the Veela singer Adriana…"

Draco snickered while Ginny shot him disdainful look.

"… and Draco you will play Julius."

Draco looked at the script and sighed. He was practically on every page. This was going to be a long term.

"Lucky you" Blasie said to Draco later, "Ginny serenades you at the end and then you embrace her before you both walk off into the glorious sunset.

"I'll be sure to press her close and tell you how it feels." Truthfully, he would have preferred Blasie have the role. He glanced at the back noticing he'd actually have to have body contact with the weasel. Draco sighed and couldn't wait to be done with the play.

***

This was the 3rd time in a week that he missed the Drama club meeting. Draco was in a foul mood not having had time to take a shower or change after Quidditch practice. He tried to sneak in but Peeves announced his arrival to Professor McGonagall ..

"Late again, Malfoy. Continue with the practice students. " Professor Mcgonagall beckoned him to a small room adjoining the stage.

Draco tried to sound as convincing as he could, ""Professor I do apologize"

"No apologies will do right now, You're a smart young man and I know you realize that the success of this production depends entirely on you. Everyone else practices 3 times a week despite their commitments Mr. Malfoy. I suggest you find someone to go over your lines with to make up for lost practice time."

Draco glared at the Professor as she turned away. He would have to ask Blaise Zabini to help him and he didn't relish the thought.

But his answer had been a resounding. "no." Absolutely no one said no to a Malfoy.

"I just don't have the time." He remarked.

Draco knew the real deal. Blaise wanted him to fail.

That's when he caught Ginny's gaze again. She did help Blaise even if he was a Slytherin, perhaps she'd run lines with him. Then last words he'd exchanged with her were whore - so her answer might be no. He decided to put on his most friendly smile and ask. "Ginny" he said as he caught up with her in the courtyard. "I need to ask you for assistance." Sitting next to her on the bench he conjured up a charming smile sure to win the hearts of everyone from Hogwarts to Durmstrang.

She rolled her eyes, "Is this the first time you've asked for help?"

"Look, Ginny I just need someone to run lines with me for the play." His smile wasn't working as he had hoped.

Smoothing out her robes as she stood she asked, " A mighty slytherin can't do it himself?"

"This mighty slytherin has quidditch practice"

"I play chaser for Gryffindor, but I still happen to practice my lines."

Draco had forgotten about that, she'd have no sympathy for him in the quidditch department. "Miss Ginny dear, I really need to do this play right, make Loony….I mean Luna Lovegood and Professor McGonagall proud. " Draco knew she didn't buy his little explanation but hoped a little bit of her goody two shoes traits would make her forget his behavior last night.

"Fine, I 'll do it on one condition." Ginny said as she picked up her books.

"Which is?"

"Don't fall in love with me." A flash of humor crossing her face.

Was she joking? Probably with Fred and George as her brothers. It came natural.

Draco laughed sincerely amused, "That won't be a problem."

***

They met by the lake with playbooks in hand. Ginny sat down not caring if her robes became stained. Draco on the other hand wasn't about to ruin his good robes and conjured up a blanket. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"I saw that Weasley, just be sure your eyes don't get stuck in the back of your head."

"How many times do I have to tell you it's Ginny! Don't make me repeat myself"

"Ginny - see I said your name. Are you happy?" Ginny nodded, "Since I am a gentlemen I offer you sanctuary on my blanket. Do you want to get your second-hand robes dirty?" Draco could never stop his tongue when it came to Weasley's.

Ginny sighed, "You never stop do you?" she had decided before she offered to help him that she wouldn't let his comments get to her. Ginny went to his blanket and plopped down. "Malfoy, you do know that you'll have Ginny Weasley germs on your precious blanket."

"The house elves are quite capable of disinfecting Weasley germs." Malfoy said sounding quite serious.

"Ok then back to the play." Ginny said opening to the last page. They had been practicing for over a month and she still had yet to sing in front of Malfoy, in what was supposed to be a pivotal scene. In fact she hadn't sung in front of anyone at Hogwarts save for the audition and practice sessions with Professor McGonagall. She felt a little nervous, what if they laughed?

Draco waved a hand in front of Ginny's face . "Hello Ginny you there?"

Ginny was brought back out of her silence, "Just thinking about opening night, I have to sing and all…"

"Sing now." He commanded sounding very much like his father Lucius.

"No…"she said hoping Malfoy wouldn't push the subject.

"You are going to have to do it eventually, either here or opening night." Draco was interested in how she sounded. Never had he heard a peep out of her in the singing department.

Ginny laughed a little "It's just…I can't" Singing meant she would have to bear her soul and she didn't feel like doing it out in front of Draco Malfoy. She would have to just sing her heart out on opening night and deal with the fates at that time, "I get enough practice, singing in the shower and such."

"Hmm, can I watch this practice session?" Draco enjoyed watching her blush, watching the color rise in her face, it made her practically glow and he could see why Blaise had been so interested in her.

"Pervert" she simply said looking away.

He looked at his pages, "You know it's going to be really hard to pretend to be in love with a veela, especially when it's played by a Weasley. Talk about miscasting."

"It's called acting!" she said through gritted teeth. She knew she wasn't pretty, not like Hermione, Lavender, Parvati,, or even Pansy Parkinson. But she didn't think she was ugly, not until Malfoy had so blatantly thrown it in her face.

Draco realized he had touched a sore spot. "Right then…let's go back to the last scene." Hoping to change the subject before he opened his mouth and made another foolish comment. It was just too hard to be this close to a Weasley and not make fun. The temptation was too great. For the sake of getting through the play unscathed he decided he better watch his language a little more closely. He wasn't going to let a play get between him and graduation.

***

TO BE CONTINUED