Unofficial Portkey Archive

Till Death Do Us Part by nmffnurse
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Till Death Do Us Part

nmffnurse

Mum was here. Draco might have been 17 but he was still his mummy's boy. She had apparated herself a day before the play. Draco had told her it wasn't necessary. She needn't come. But what his heart said was much different than what he had spoken. He was happier than he had been in a long time. He felt as if nothing had changed when his mother had embraced him.

But she had changed. Her face looked older than when he had seen her last. Weariness now framing her face. The only jewelry worn by his mother was her wedding ring. It was not common for Malfoy women to go out without adornments. Malfoy wondered if she had sold the last of the jewelry. He thought back at the new quidditch broom that he had gotten for Christmas. Had it been paid for by selling off a Black or Malfoy heirloom?

They were spending the day in Hogsmeade. The town's population had doubled overnight, with parents and other family members arriving for the play. Draco had to roll his eyes. It was just a school production. He had gone many times with his mother to Diagon Alley's East End Theatre. Actors and actresses from all over the wizarding world, not students form Hogwarts. Nontheless he was happy it had brought his mother here.

"It's been a long day Draco, give your mum a hug before I go back to Hogs Head Inn." Draco wasn't one of those boys who was embarrassed by his mother's affections. He readily hugged her.

Reaching into her cloak she gave Draco a handful of galleons.

"Mum, no really. I'm ok." He tried handing them back, eyeing the part of her cloak that used to carry an antique Black brooch from the 9th century. Now gone.

Naricissa shook her head, "No Draco. I know your friends are here. Treat them to a butterbeer, ok ?"

It wasn't ok to Draco. His mother having to spend the evening at Hogs Head Inn spoke for itself. Blaise's mum and dad were at a posh London hotel with a direct floo connection. "No, mum."

Narcissa shook her finger at him, "I will not take no for an answer. Have fun and I shall see you tomorrow. She gathered Draco in for a final hug, "You are going to do great on that stage Draco. I wish your father could see you. He'd be proud."

Draco tried to smile, not wishing to betray the fact that he disagreed.

"Good night mum." He waved goodbye as she stepped into the inn. He wandered over to the Three Broomsticks where Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise and Pansy were already finishing off mugs of Butterbeer.

"Next round is on me." Draco said as he called Madame Rosmerta over and ordered another pitcher.

"How about ordering one for you girlfriend?" Blaise laughed and tilted his head in the direction of a certain redheaded female sharing a table with her friend Diana and Neville Longbottom.

"Why don't you shut it Blaise and leave him alone!" Pansy snapped. For once Draco was glad for Pansy's insecurities and jealousies.

He didn't want to have to defend his friendship with Ginny.

Friendship.

That's what they were now. Friends. He found he liked her company. Looked forward to seeing her. To teasing her. Joking with her. They had spent more nights in the astronomy tower looking at stars. He was becoming adept at learning astrology. He would have to ask her what the dead star meant one of these days. It was a good thing, he didn't believe it was a true magical science. It was right up there with Muggle Studies and Divination.

They had talked about the future all those nights in the tower and during practice.

She hadn't laughed when he said he wanted to go into potions research. Maybe get his doctorate in potions. A far cry from what every one else thought. He was on the fast track to becoming a Death Eater. That's not what he wanted. He wanted to spend his days and nights over a cauldron. Nothing made him happier.

But something was definitely making him angry now and it was Crabbe. "Don't you have to snog that Weasley in the play tomorrow?"

"Might as well kiss a mudblood."Blaise added.

"No!" Draco said pulling out the script he still had in his backpocket. He had his last practice with Ginny that morning. It actually made him sad, although he wouldn't admit it. He would have no excuse to be her friend anymore. He would miss her company. After that morning there would be no excuse to hang out with her. People would talk. He was sick of people talking. First about his father and now his friendship with Ginny Weasley.

He tapped his wand at the small piece of paper and watched it enlarge into the script. Draco turned to the last page and slammed it on the table. "I do not KISS her. I hug her. We hold hands. THAT's It"

He pointed at the words in the script "Julius embraces the Veela Singer and they hold hands as they walk off into the sunset."

Pansy looked up from the script,smiling " I knew you wouldn't go beneath yourself."

Draco conjured up a smile. "I wouldn't touch her if graduation didn't hang in the balance. Even hugging that Weasley girl will be hard for me."

Draco turned around at that point to get Madame Rosmerta's attention and almost knocked over the redhead standing behind him.

She looked at him in a way that made him feel uneasy, wondering if she had heard everything he had said.

He tried to act nonchalant, "Weasley." He nodded, acknowledging her presence as only the haughty do, holding his head a little bit higher in the air than normal.

She shook her head, " I came over here to tell you good luck. Not that you need it. But now I wish you good luck on trying your hardest to not vomit when you have to hug me tomorrow."

He felt his gut tie in knots as she walked away. He lost the one true friend he had.

Despite the pats on the back from Zabini and Goyle about showing Weasley who was boss, Draco felt nothing but loss.

***

The next evening at Hogwarts…

"You are doing wonderful Mr. Malfoy!" Professor McGonnagal gushed during intermission. He had performed his scenes as if graduation depended on it. Which it did. But he also did it for Ginny. He wanted her friendship back.

He had one more scene with her. The last scene where she would sing to him. He had already planned it out. When he hugged her he would whisper he was sorry, and hope, hope that she would forgive him.

The last scene came rather quickly. Draco took one last swig of pumpkin juice and went out on stage. He hadn't taken time to appreciate the Great Hall's transformation into a tony and posh theatre. It was truly amazing. He wouldn't admit to anyone that it looked even better than Diagon Alley's East End Theatre that his parents spennt loads of money going to, just so his father could sleep through expensive wizard operas. He spotted his mum in the audience and Pansy giving a little clap.

There was an instantenous hush as the Veela Singer entered. Ginny had changed into one last costume and the effect was more than stunning. Draco's mouth went dry. And was that his heart racing? Her long silky reddish hair, the graceful way she moved…she was a beautiful girl.

Just like how they practiced she slipped her soft fingers in his hands and for the first time he heard her sing.

`There's a song that's inside of my soul
It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold
But You sing to me over and over and over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
and pray to be only Yours
I pray to be only Yours
I know now you're my only hope

Sing to me the song of the stars
Of Your galaxy dancing and laughing
and laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that You have for me over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope

I give You my destiny
I'm giving You all of me
I want Your symphony
Singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope'

It suddenly struck Draco that he was seeing Ginny through new eyes. He had been so obsessed with getting the play over with and graduating that he had almost missed how wonderful Ginny was . How uplifting her presence was to him during this difficult time. Her voice was unlike anything he had ever heard. He had seen plenty of Veelas'. Had enough magazines full of them…but none of them could hold a candle to the magic Ginny possessed with just her voice.

He couldn't help it as one of his hands separated from hers to smooth a stray curl from her forehead, "You're so beautiful." He whispered, gathering her in his arms, wondering why he had never held her that way during practice because at that very moment, it felt so right. Long seconds seem to stretch into lifetimes as he stared into her eyes, "You're so beautiful Ginny."

He lowered his face and brushed the smoothness of her lips. Once. Twice. He should have stopped there. He felt a slight tremble from her, or was that him? He had never felt this…this thing, whatever it was for any girl. In front of the whole school he had kissed Ginny Weasley and it did not embarrass him like it should have. He half expected her to pull away, to embarrass him in front of the audience but she didn't. He could read the confusion in her eyes. He wondered if she could read the same in his. Was she feeling the same way? He brought his lips next to Ginny's for the third time, before completely covering his mouth over hers.

In the audience sat a horrified Pansy and in another seat sat a very redfaced Ron Weasley. A Slytherin and Gryffindor both uttering at the same time -"That was not in the script!"

To be continued…

Song above written by Switchfoot and performed by Mandy Moore in A Walk to Remember

-->