Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Letters by MarianLibrarian
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Letters

MarianLibrarian

Disclaimer: I don't own anything Harry Potter related.

A/N: I know you shall all hate me after this chapter, but all I can say is, don't lose faith quite yet. I've brought back the whole "Love Letters" concept a bit as well. This is a pretty heavy chapter. The beginning/middle is pretty fluffy ((for those of you who have been asking for it)) but I do warn you that you will not like the end of this at all. No one yet to read it has, but for the sake of the story, just stick with it.

Love Letters

Chapter 11


When Harry and Hermione reached the infirmary, they were a little more than shocked to see Ron sitting on Ginny's bedside, his face in his hands, and his body shaking. Hermione immediately ran to his side.

"Ron, are you alright?" She said softly, kneeling beside him. Harry followed her inside and stood on the opposite side of Ginny's bed. He stopped short and stared at the girl. Her right cheek had a long slash across it and the other side of her face was swollen and bruised something fierce. Her left arm was in a sling and her right was bandaged up, but the blood was seeping through. He could only see the upper half of her body and Harry didn't want to imagine what happened to the rest of her.

Ron looked up a bit embarrassed and hastily wiped his eyes. It was evident he had been crying. The site of his friends calmed him a bit and his whole body relaxed.

"I'm fine Hermione," the red head replied with a small smile.

"What happened?" Harry asked, though in his mind he was sure he already knew the answer.

"Well," Ron started, taking a deep breath. Hermione gave him a sympathetic look and squeezed his hand gently. Ron gave her another smile that sent an unpleasant jolt up Harry's spine. "When Gin and I left you in the common room the other night, she thought it might be fun to race down to the great hall. When we were younger, we always did that sort of thing at home. So I agreed and next thing I knew she lost her footing and just-" his eyes began to water and he took another breath. "She tumbled down the stairs, banging into the walls and everything. It was awful."

Ron buried his face in his hands. Hermione looked uncertainly at Harry and he only shrugged. He had never seen Ron upset enough to start crying. Ron never cried, not even when Ginny was taken down into the Chamber of Secrets during their second year. Ginny wasn't dead now, only unconscious. Why was Ron so shaken up? This wasn't his fault, if that was what happened at all.

"Herbology is going to start in ten minutes," Ron muttered, standing up and wiping his eyes. "I've got to go get my things back in the dorms. I'll meet you two out there." And without another word, he walked right by them and out the door.

Harry and Hermione were silent for a while, staring after their friend in confusion.

"Ron doesn't cry," Hermione whispered after a few moments.

"I know," Harry replied, turning to look at Ginny's helpless body beside them.

"Do you thing he's lying?" Hermione asked in an even smaller voice.

"I don't know," Harry answered. "But he's never been a good actor." Both of them were speaking in low tones for no apparent reason. Harry watched Hermione's facial expressions for a few moments. She seemed worried and lost and scared. Harry had no idea what he felt like.

"Ginny," Hermione muttered, and Harry stopped staring at her when he noticed that the red head was stirring in her sleep. "Ginny, can you hear me?"

The girl blinked her eyes a few times and looked from Hermione to Harry and back again. Harry noted that she seemed extremely calm and her expression was impassive.

"How are you feeling," Hermione asked gently, sitting down in Ron's vacant chair.

"Fine," Ginny answered, now staring at the ceiling.

"What happened last night?" Harry asked.

"I fell."

Harry and Hermione shared an uneasy glance. Maybe Ron really was telling the truth.

"Well," Hermione said in a shaky voice, "since we missed you last night, what was it that you wanted to tell Harry and me?"

For the slightest moment Harry saw something that looked of utter fright cross Ginny's already frightful looking face. But in the next moment she was unreadable.

"I don't remember," she said shortly.

"You don't remember," Hermione repeated. She looked up at Harry helplessly and all he could do was shrug.

"We've got to go to class now," Harry said, standing up. Hermione followed his lead.

"Yes, we've got Herbology," she stated, walking slowly towards the door. "We can come visit you at lunch if you'd like company."

"No," Ginny said. She was still staring at the ceiling.

Hermione gave Harry a look of defeat and sighed, heading out the door.

"What do you think really happened?" Harry asked her as they were crossing the lawn to the greenhouses. They had been silent all through the castle.

"I don't know," Hermione muttered. "She's so banged up. I understand all the bruises and the broken arm if she fell down more than one flight. But the scratches and the cut on her face. What could have given her those? Nothing on the stairs could have."

Harry silently agreed with her. Ron's description of what happened and Ginny's actual appearance just didn't combine well.

"And now she's not speaking!" Hermione added exasperatedly. "She was so intent on telling us something yesterday. And I think Ron was on to her. And now this! He was angry when they left the common room last night. He wouldn't suddenly agree to race her to the Great Hall, it doesn't make sense."

"This whole year hasn't made sense," Harry sighed.

"Hey," she said, stopping abruptly, "some parts of it have." She grinned slowly and wiggled her eyebrows at Harry. He couldn't help but laugh. At a time like this, she was the last person he thought would crack a joke, but Hermione was always full of surprises.

"Okay, some parts have," Harry smiled, taking her hand and kissing it gently. Hermione smiled at him. He took her other hand in his. "Some parts have been," he kissed both her hands, "unbelievable."

Hermione blushed and looked quite flustered.

"You make my life worthwhile Herm," he said gently, "I don't know what I'd do without you." He was about to kiss her hands again but she drew them away.

"Harry, stop it," she insisted, "you haven't done this in so long, and right before class is not a good time."

"What?" he asked innocently. "I haven't kissed you? Well we can fix that." He closed the gap between them and leaned down to kiss her lips but she turned away giggling.

"No that's not what I meant," she answered, regaining her composure and resuming their walk, but putting one hand in his. "I mean, you haven't acted all romantic and grateful for me in a while."

"I've always been grateful for you," Harry said, slightly put out.

"I know Harry, that's not what I meant," she said gently, "but this hand kissing and talk like you'd die without me-"

"I probably would die without you," he cut in.

"Yes but," Hermione seemed to have lost the point she was trying to make. She sighed, stopped walking, and took his other hand in hers. "You mean everything to me Harry and I know I mean the same to you. It's just, I don't know, I guess I'm still getting used to this public display of affection sort of thing." She smiled and nodded kindly to Hufflepuffs Hannah Abbot and Ernie Macmillian as they passed on the way to the greenhouse.

"You mean you and Krum never snogged in the library for hours on end?" Harry joked once they were out of earshot.

Hermione's head shot up and she looked as though she lost ability to speak. He started laughing and she slapped his arm playfully, trying hard not to break a smile.

"No," she said indignantly, "I never snogged Vicktor in the library. We did it some place much more private."

"Are you serious?" Harry asked in surprise, though he was still laughing.

"I snog you Harry, I don't find this so funny or shocking!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he said, trying desperately to stop laughing. Hermione shook her head and laughed silently herself.

"Alright Hermione," Harry said once he was able to control himself, "you're basically saying that I don't do or say romantic and grateful things enough."

"No," she replied, "I'm just getting used to it. Vicktor did these things sometimes, but he never meant it. And I know you do . . . that's all."

"So then you don't want me to act that way?"

"No!" she said quickly, and they both laughed a little. "Actually I find it quite sweet. You haven't really acted like this since . . . gosh, since we got back here in August. You remember, on the Hogwarts Express?"

Harry smiled at the memory of their trip back to school, but then got confused.

"I did all that?" he asked. "I know we snogged but I don't remember kissing your hands or anything. Your neck maybe but-"

"Harry!" Hermione said exasperatedly, but she smiled along with Harry. "You probably just blocked it from your mind is all," she went on nonchalantly, continuing on towards the greenhouses. They were late.

"Why would I block it from my mind? I find this quite sweet too." He said, raising her hand and kissing it again.

"Well it was right after you had some nightmare," she answered, "and you hugged me and said I was too good to you and-"

"I did?" Harry stopped right outside Greenhouse 11 and racked his brain to try to remember.

"Yes, you did. And it's alright if you can't remember. I understand. Now let's go."

Hermione opened the door and Harry followed her inside, still lost in thought. Hermione gave a hurried apology to Professor Sprout for being late and Harry vaguely heard some people in the class snicker. The news of their relationship had traveled fast and even the professors knew Harry and Hermione were an item.

It wasn't until the middle of the lesson that it hit Harry. While he had waited for Hermione on the train that day, he had fallen asleep. And while he was sleeping he had a dream about Voldemort again.

"You alright mate?"

Harry's head snapped up and drew his attention towards Ron, who was giving him an appraising look.

"Fine," Harry muttered.

It was in that dream that Voldemort killed Hermione, but not Ron. It was almost as though Ron and the Dark Lord were working together. What if they really were? What if it was a premonition of some sort? It somewhat connected with his most previous nightmare where he himself killed Hermione and Ron found it almost amusing.

"Come on Harry. Let's go." Hermione's voice interrupted him. The class had ended and it was now time for Potions. He was going to have to wait until later to tell Hermione of this new revelation.


-:-


Potions dragged on as usual and Snape kept catching Harry thinking and took thirty points from Gryffindor during the whole period. He didn't care though. He couldn't stop thinking about his dreams and how much sense things were starting to make.

"Harry," Ron muttered while they were mixing a shrinking potion, "you seem really out of it. I'm sorry if the whole Ginny thing has gotten you worked up."

"No it's not that," Harry replied, purposely not making eye contact.

"Maybe you should take the rest of the day off and sleep or something," Ron suggested.

Harry didn't find that a bad idea. He caught Hermione after class let out and drew her aside.

"Are you okay Harry?" she asked.

"I'm fine," he answered hurriedly, making sure Ron wasn't around to hear him, "I think I'm going to take the rest of the day off-no buts Hermione- I'm not feeling well. Meet me in my dorm after last period before dinner. I need to talk to you later."

Hermione looked skeptical about allowing Harry to cut class but agreed to it in the end and gave him a kiss on the cheek before departing for her next class.

When he reached the fifth year boys dormitories, Harry threw his bag on the ground and plopped down on his bed. He shot a glance at Ron's bed beside him and he felt another unpleasant jolt go up his spine. If Ron really was working for Voldemort, then it definitely explained why Ginny and the twins had been behaving as they had. He was almost positive that Ginny was going to let everything slip to him and Hermione the previous night, and Ron sensed her motives. She didn't fall down the stairs. Ron did something to her. Harry was ready to bet his Firebolt on it.

Harry let his mind keep swarming with different assumptions and before he knew it, he had drifted into a dreamless sleep.


-:-


Harry woke up hours later to a loud snore from across the room. He groggily checked his watch and saw that it was ten past eleven. He had slept all day. Neville, Dean, Seamus, and Ron were all sleeping soundly in their beds, and Harry was now wide awake. He noticed a slip of paper on his bed side table and turned his lamp on to read it.


Hey You-

I came by but you were still sleeping. You looked so worn out in Potions that I didn't want to disturb you. We can talk tomorrow. I love you.

-Me


Harry sighed at Hermione's note and laid back down on his bed. Not wanting to wake her at that hour, he decided it would be best to talk with her the next day.

The sun was shinning brilliantly through the window when he did awake the next morning. Neville was running late as usual and he informed Harry that first period began in twenty five minutes. Since he had slept in his uniform, Harry simply picked up his bag and followed Neville to the Great Hall. He spotted Hermione talking with Ron so he refrained from giving her a kiss on the cheek, in case in caused any of Ron's emotions to stir.

"Sleep well?" Hermione asked brightly when Harry sat down. He shrugged and began to quickly butter some toast.

"You look better than you did yesterday that's for sure mate," Ron said through a mouthful of scrambled eggs. Harry nodded, still not making eye contact with his friend.

As he began to munch on his toast, a flock of owls came into the hall and flew in circles to find the recipients of the letters and packages they held. To Harry's surprise, a great barn owl flew down to him and deposited a note before flying off. He noticed that a tawny owl had done the same to Hermione. Harry shrugged and read his note.

Harry-

Meet me in Flitwick's classroom at 7:00 tonight. Then we can talk about everything, and maybe do a little more than talk. But let's keep this a little surprise for now and not mention it. I can't wait to be with you. I love you.

-Hermione


He looked up at her as she finished her letter and she gave him a quick smile. He returned the action and took a sip out of his goblet. For some reason Harry felt relaxed. He was going to be able to tell Hermione everything that he was thinking about, and she seemed ready to relieve him of those problems as well.

The day flew by for Harry and as Hermione had hinted in her note, he didn't say anything about what they were going to do later that evening. In the middle of dinner, Hermione excused herself to go to the library. She smiled at Harry as she left. When he was done with his meal he went up to his dorm and tried to freshen up a bit. Though he had a big burden to share with her, Hermione always had a way of making sense of everything and having him relax. She made the world better when she was with him. That was just how Hermione was.

Smiling at the thought of her, Harry made his way out of the Gryffindor tower and all the way to Professor Flitwick's empty charms classroom. He was a few minutes early and he quickly noted that fourth years had been learning banishing charms, because there was a neat stack of pillows in the corner of the room. Grinning, Harry went to pick them up and distribute them comfortably around the room.

"You're a man who gets straight to the point aren't you?" a female voice said from the doorway.

Harry turned towards her, smiling. But his face fell immediately. Cho Chang was leaning against the door frame. She was still in her uniform like he was, except her skirt was at least two inches higher than average and her blouse was unbuttoned a few times too many. Her robes were formfitting and a little too tight in Harry's opinion. He had never seen her dress that way before.

"Err. . . hello Cho," he said uncomfortably. Ever since Cedric Diggory's death the previous June, all romantic feelings he had for the girl had vanished away.

"Hello Harry," she said rather seductively as she shut the door behind her and walked towards him.

"Err . . . Can I help you?" Harry asked nervously as she was approaching him.

"I think the question is, can I help you Harry?" she replied in a sickly sweet tone.

Harry had backed into and desk and she was now right in front of him.

"Umm . . . you can't," Harry said, "I'm meeting Hermione here. My girlfriend."

"Oh, her," Cho said. She seemed bored suddenly. "Well, she's not coming."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, suddenly very nervous.

"I sent you that note today, and just signed that Mudblood's name," Cho said nonchalantly, "would you have honestly showed up if it was my name on that paper?"

"Well I guess that means I better be going," Harry said irritably, and he tried to walk towards the door, but Cho stepped in his way.

"Come on Harry," Cho whispered, pulling his robes down towards her, "the Mudblood'll never know. . ."

Her lips were a mere inch from his but he backed away.

"No," Harry said firmly, "Hermione is my girlfriend. She's not a Mudblood and I love her."

"Oh please," Cho said briskly, "like you know what love is. Let me show you what real love feels like." With that she forced Harry's head down and began kissing him vigorously. It took him a few moments to break away from her tight grip.

"Look Cho, you're not acting yourself right now, and I would never cheat on Hermione because I do love her."

"Save the sob story Harry," Cho exclaimed and she started kissing him again. The male instinct in Harry began kissing her back. He had to admit that she was experienced and good at what she was doing. Her arms slid knowingly up his chest and around his shoulders and down his back as she kissed him passionately. Harry automatically put his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

An alarm was beginning to sound in his head. He shouldn't be kissing Cho, he should be kissing Hermione. What if Hermione found out? This was a mistake. He had to stop. Harry tried to pull away from her but Cho just attacked his neck and began kissing every bit she could.

"Cho . . . please. . .Cho. . ."

"Harry. . ."

His head shot up immediately. Hermione was standing in the doorway, and looked as though she had just been shot. Her body was beginning to tremble and her eyes were watering. She was gawking at what he was doing. Cho looked up briefly, smiled wickedly at the brunette, and tried to start kissing Harry again.

"Hermione," Harry started, pushing Cho away, "please, I can explain."

"Explain what?" she squeaked, frozen in place.

Harry realized that this situation was practically unexplainable and began kicking himself for not leaving Cho when she first got there.

"This, this isn't what it, it looks like," Harry stammered.

"Yes it is," Cho said impatiently and she tried to start necking Harry again but he pushed her away and she landed on the pillows in an ungraceful flop.

"Harry, I can't believe you," Hermione said in barely a whisper.

"I know Hermione and I can explain," Harry said urgently, finally reaching her. He tried to take her hand but she drew it away swiftly.

"Don't Harry," she said harshly, taking a step back, "I really thought better of you. And you too Cho," she added, turning to the girl on the floor. Cho had always been nice until . . . now. Cho shrugged and lay back on the soft pillows, obviously bored.

"Hermione, if you just let me-"

"No Harry," Hermione said firmly, "just . . . leave me alone. . . forever." And with one of her deadliest glares Hermione left Harry alone with Cho.

"What do I do now?" Harry asked, sinking to the floor, ready to drown in his own bitter tears. What had he done? He just lost Hermione . . .

"Well you can do me if you'd like," Cho offered, sitting up and giving Harry a seductive smile.

"You're pathetic," Harry said, disgusted.

"Well then I guess I'm done here," she sighed, standing up and brushing herself off. "See ya later Baby."

Harry didn't bother to watch her leave. He leaned against the wall and shut his eyes tight. If Ron issues weren't enough to keep Harry awake at night, he certainly didn't need this. He could never bear having Hermione mad at him. But what was he supposed to say to her? She caught him cheating, even if he hadn't meant to. What was he going to do now?


-:-


"Hermione are you alright?"

"Go away!"

"Hermione?"

Ron had been busy working on his Transfiguration homework when he saw Hermione storm through the common room, her face red with rage and stained with tears. She had spent over an hour wandering the castle before coming back to the common room to reside in her room. Hermione was halfway towards the stairway to the girls' dormitory when she collapsed on the ground in a fresh batch of tears. Students were staring at her but said nothing. Ron immediately got up and crossed the room.

"Hermione, what happened?" he asked gently, putting his arm around her shoulder.

Hermione continued to sob for a long time and he patiently rocked her back and forth and whispered comforting words in her ear. By the time she had stopped crying, half the common room had emptied out.

"Does this have to do with Harry?" Ron asked quietly. Hermione nodded and sniffled a couple of times. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

Hermione was silent for a few moments and she muttered something Ron couldn't catch.

"What was that?"

"I caught him snogging Cho in Flitwick's room!" she shouted. The students left in the room now had their attention back on Hermione.

"He was what?" Ron asked, surprised.

"He was kissing her Ron," Hermione said helplessly. "We were supposed to meet at 7:15 in Flitwick's classroom and when I got there she was necking him!"

"Oh Hermione," Ron said kindly as she was starting to tear up again.

"I should have seen it coming though," Hermione went on, "I mean, I can't expect a man to be interested in me for too long can I? All those times he said he loved me, what bull! The worst part is I actually fell for it, and I thought I loved him too. But no one could ever love a Mudblood like me."

"That's not true Hermione," Ron contradicted her.

"Oh how would you know?"

"Because I love you."

Hermione's breath caught in her throat and she looked up at Ron with wide eyes.

"What?" she asked shakily.

"I said that I love you Hermione," Ron answered, a small smile dancing upon his lips.

"Why?" she asked stupidly, due to the shock she was going through.

"For the reasons Harry said he loved you," he said softly. "He got it all from me. For the last year and a half I've been crazy about you Herm. But I thought I missed my chance."

"Ron, I-"

"You don't have to say anything," Ron replied, caressing her cheek with her left hand.

Hermione knew she shouldn't trust him. Harry believed Ron to be untrustworthy. But Harry was untrustworthy. Before she realized what she was doing, Hermione found herself kissing Ron on the floor of the Gryffindor common room. Some people were watching, but Hermione found she didn't mind this like she did when she was with Harry. She liked to be more private with Harry. But at that moment she wanted nothing to do with the boy, so she went on kissing Ron. She had thrown her arms around his neck and pulled him closer to her. She drew her tongue along the bottom of his mouth and he let her in to explore without hesitation. Kissing Ron was far different from kissing Harry. This was scary and exciting all at once. Kissing Harry was sweet and safe. But which was better she couldn't tell and at the moment she didn't care. One of her hands grasped Ron's wild mane of red hair while the other traveled down his back. Ron did his fair share of kissing her too. His hands made their way through Hermione's wild mess of long dark hair, down her back and up through her school blouse. Hermione no longer comprehended what she was doing and kissed Ron even harder, wanting to taste every bit of him.

At that moment, the portrait door swung open and Harry walked sullenly into the common room. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the wild site in front of him.

"Hermione," he choked.