Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Letters by MarianLibrarian
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Letters

MarianLibrarian

Disclaimer: I do not own anything Harry Potter related.

A/N: As I've been told in reviews, my chapters are too short. I'm going to try to make this one longer so please bear with me.

Love Letters -:- Chapter 7


"Harry," Hermione's voice quivered on the other line, "what's going on?"

Harry bit his lip in hope that maybe the slight pain would wake him up from another bad dream. He rubbed his forehead in aggravation. How could he explain what was happening when he didn't understand himself?

"Harry," Hermione repeated quietly, "tell me what's going on."

"I had a dream," Harry stated, taking a deep breath, "and Voldemort was in it." He could hear Hermione gasp slightly but he continued. "In the dream, he-well he," but Harry couldn't say it. Just remembering it was painful enough.

"What did he do Harry?" Hermione asked. Her strength at a time like this amazed him. But then again, she had yet to know what was going on.

"He killed you."

Harry listened for her soothing voice, but minutes past and it didn't come. She had never been so quiet for so long in her life except for when she slept. This troubled Harry even more.

"Hermione," Harry whispered, "are you there?"

"I'm here," a tiny voice murmured on the other end.

"I woke up and my scar was burning," Harry explained, "it hadn't burned like that since I faced him back in June. I don't get the Daily Prophet so I don't know what he's up to but I wouldn't underestimate him. He may be lying low for awhile because now we know he's back. He'll probably hit us hard at a time we least expect him to. My only question is when?"

"Harry stop this."

"Stop what Hermione?" Harry shouted. He wasn't angry with her, but it was hard to tell otherwise. "We need to face the music. My scar only burns when he's close or about to kill innocent blood. Who knows how many people he's attacked in the last few months? Who knows who he'll attack next? Don't you find it a little odd that neither of us has heard from Ron this summer?"

"Harry, shut up!" Hermione demanded. Her tone astounded him to silence so she kept going. "You need to keep a level head. This is what Voldemort wants, don't you see? He wants you to be scared and to do something drastic and stupid. The fact is we don't know what he's been up to. The first thing we have to do is contact Dumbledore and find out what's happening; he'll tell us what to do. Yes, it is a bit unsettling that we haven't heard from Ron but I'm sure there's a logical explanation. We just have to stay grounded and wait until we get back to Hogwarts."

"I can't wait Hermione," Harry cut in, "I need to go home. Now."

"I know Harry," Hermione sighed, "believe me, I know."

-:-


Harry ran up to his room, three steps at a time, anxious to write to Dumbledore. But when he reached the landing, he couldn't go any farther. Uncle Vernon was standing in front of him with his arms crossed and wearing a smug expression.

"Did you and Miss Granger have a nice time last night?" his uncle sneered.

"Perhaps," Harry said a bit uncomfortably. What if his family had been spying on him and Hermione when they were outside? Harry was ready to kill himself and spare the embarrassment.

"The girl obviously fancies you tremendously," Vernon declared, "you've done a good job Harry. The papers will be signed this evening and by this time tomorrow, I'm going to be a multi-millionaire."

Harry's uncle laughed almost cruelly as he sauntered down the stairs. It disgusted Harry. Money was all anyone cared about and it didn't make any sense. Sure money could buy you things but it couldn't buy anything important, like love or happiness. Harry shook his head as he walked into his room, remembering the letter. Harry found a scrap of parchment and scribbled on it.

Dear Professor,

I had a dream last night. It worries me about Voldemort and his whereabouts. I really need to come back to Hogwarts. Is there any way that I can come early?

Signed, Harry


Just as Harry was about to send Hedwig off with the message, he saw an odd form in the distance, coming towards his window. A minute later, a large barn owl was perched on Harry's windowsill. It was carrying a letter addressed to Mr. H. Potter with the Hogwarts emblem on it. Harry took it and opened it hastily.


Dear Harry,

I'm sure this summer has been a difficult one for you, especially after the events that occurred in June. I think it best that you return to Hogwarts before the rest of the student body. I've sent an identical letter to Miss Granger. There's something I need to discuss with you two. A Ministry of Magic cab will be at your house at noon on Monday.

Until then, Professor Dumbledore

Harry tore up the letter he had written and started packing things in his trunk. It was Sunday afternoon but he was eager to get ready. He wanted more than anything to go back to Hogwarts and the fact that Hermione was going too was even better. It seemed to Harry that Dumbledore was reading his mind. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was a bit unnerving. What if Dumbledore knew what he was thinking the other night when he was with Hermione? The thought of it made Harry's cheeks burn red with embarrassment.

By the time dinner had come around, Harry's room was completely empty and all of his things were waiting patiently by the door. His uncle kept talking non-stop about his meeting with the Grangers and his aunt was already planning their winter vacation to Bora Bora ((A/N: sp?)).

"Um, Uncle Vernon," Harry muttered when he was through with his meal. His uncle grunted, meaning that he was listening. "Well I got this letter from school," Harry continued, "and they want me back earlier than planned. Someone will be picking me up tomorrow, if it's alright with you."

Vernon eyed Harry suspiciously and took a swig from his glass of wine.

"Well," the large man replied coldly, "if you do go, that may upset the Granger's daughter. And by what you two were doing last night, I'm sure she'd be more than a little peeved."

"You were spying on me?" Harry practically screamed. He figured they were, but the truth didn't make it any better.

"Don't get your panties in a twist," Duddley snorted from the other end of the table, "Mum was."

"Duddley eat your broccoli." Petunia demanded, a bit of pink rising in her very pale cheeks.

"Anyway," Vernon said loudly, taking control of the conversation once more, "by tomorrow the papers will be signed and the deal will be set in stone, so it doesn't matter much to me if you knock up the tramp or dump her."

"What?" Harry almost shouted. He could not believe what he was hearing. "Hermione is not a tramp," he said through gritted teeth. They sure had some nerve. "She's a very bright and very sweet girl and I would never steep so low to knock anyone up. I happen to have class and so does she."

"By the looks of it, neither of you had much last night," Petunia scowled.

"My personal life is none of your business!" Harry retorted angrily, squeezing his hands into tight fists under the table. There was a thick and uncomfortable silence that followed for at least five minutes. Not able to deal with the pressure any longer, Harry sighed, deflating like a hot air balloon. "Well can I leave tomorrow or what?"

Vernon grunted an approval and Harry quickly dismissed himself to his room. He hadn't done anything wrong last night with Hermione. He lay on his bed and closed his eyes, reliving the ecstasy that he had been in. All right, so his hand was up the back of her shirt at one point and they were very, very close. So what though? Harry thought. They were only kissing. It wasn't like they committed a mortal sin. His family was unbelievably quaint and stubborn. Harry spent the night, reliving the moments and wishing for more.

-:-


Relief washed over Harry as he walked through the barrier of Platform 9 and ¾. The site of the bright, red Hogwarts Express and the scent of the train's steam brought back wonderful, stress free memories for the teenager. It didn't seem like anyone else was around so he climbed on board and started walking through the compartments. He finally found the one; the one compartment that he and Hermione and Ron sat in at the beginning and end of each term. He sat in his usual spot and stretched his legs out. The train wouldn't be leaving for another fifteen minutes so he decided to rest his eyes and wait until Hermione had found him.


-:-

"It's not a difficult decision Harry," Voldemort's oily voice sounded, "join me or your friends die."

Harry opened his eyes to find himself at the edge of a rocky cliff. He looked down and saw a deadly gorge at least a mile below him. He stumbled forward, trying hard to keep his balance. His forehead was sopping with sweat from the heat of the rising sun and his shirt was sticking to him like glue.

"You already know my answer Voldemort," Harry said through gritted teeth, "so why are you doing this?"

"Why?" Voldemort asked nonchalantly. He snapped his scaly fingers and suddenly Ron and Hermione appeared before them, bound together with a thick rope. Hermione was struggling to get free but Ron stayed completely still, as if he didn't care what was happening to him. "I'm giving you a chance to change the world Harry," Voldemort hissed, "think of what the two of us could do together. We'd be unstoppable."

"I don't want to become a slimy murderer like you," Harry spat.

"Have it your way then."

Voldemort smiled evilly and muttered a few short words under his breath. Moments later, Hermione hit the ground, dead.

"No," Harry whispered in disbelief. He ran to Hermione's side and took hold of her hand. She was cold as ice and completely. . .gone.

"Funny how quickly the life can be sucked out of your body," Voldemort replied. "Pity, that mudblood was quite an attractive toy."

Harry started to drown in his own bitter tears. After a while of unusual silence, Harry noticed that Ron was staring at him with an emotionless expression. Perhaps he was in shock. No, it couldn't be that. Ron was the type of guy to wear his emotions right on his sleeve.

"Ron," Harry muttered, his tears now silent ones, "how can you be standing there?"

Ron said nothing. Instead, his impassive face turned into an evil, sadistic grin and the ropes snapped from his body. A cruel laughter came from behind him and Voldemort soon joined his side. Harry stared at them in horror. They were walking towards him, laughing viciously.

"Stay away from me!" Harry yelled, cradling Hermione's lifeless body in his arms.

"Harry, Harry, Harry. . ."

"Leave me alone," Harry cried, "I don't want anything to do with you!"

"Harry!"

Harry's eyes snapped open and he looked around wildly. He couldn't see where he was. Everything seemed to be a blur. He sat up and wiped the sweat off his brow. There was someone beside him with his or her kind hand on his arm, trying to comfort him. The person placed something in Harry's hand and, realizing it was he glasses, Harry took them gratefully and put them on his face.

"Hermione," he muttered, seeing her kind, smiling face before him. Without thinking twice, Harry wrapped his arms around her and held her as close to him as possible.

"I missed you too Harry," Hermione joked as she placed her arms around his neck. After what seemed a good while, Hermione loosened her grip and leaned back. She cupped Harry's face with her soft hands and tilted it upwards. His eyes were shut tight, as if trying to forget something horrible, and he kept a firm hold around her waist. "Harry, look at me," she said, brushing a bit of his damp hair out of his face. Harry slowly opened his eyes and got lost in a pool of chocolate with golden flecks splayed about. He blinked a few times and looked up into Hermione's concerned face. "You had another nightmare didn't you?"

Harry nodded and closed his eyes again. He couldn't imagine losing Hermione. And the fact that Ron, his best friend, simply laughed completely frightened him. Hermione gently kissed his forehead and rubbed his cheek softly. A sad smile crept upon Harry's lips as he opened his eyes once more. He took hold of her hands and kissed them in gratitude.

"You're too good to me," he whispered, now stroking her cheek. Hermione smiled and tilted her head to the right. Harry took her initiative and tilted his own head to the right and leaned in. Their lips brushed each other lightly, but only for a moment. The mere touch of her sent electrifying chills up Harry's spine. After a few soft kisses, he brushed his tongue across her lips. She invited him in eagerly and Harry began exploring her soft, sweet mouth. His tongue conquered every corner, just as Hermione's did the same to his. It was so amazing holding her in his arms again and having her like this. But it wasn't enough and Harry knew he needed more of her. The two teenagers were on the floor of the train compartment, but it didn't bother them at all. Harry held Hermione's head gently as he laid her back.

A giggle escaped Hermione's lips and she parted from Harry. Both of them were breathing hard and Harry had a goofy grin on his face. Her hand wiped away the hair on his forehead and her index finger delicately traced his lightning bolt scar. He took hold of her hand and kissed it again. He gazed deeply into her brown eyes. She was the only person he felt truly connected with. Harry cursed himself for taking this long to realize that she was the one.

"What are you thinking?" she whispered, staring back into his emeralds. But Harry just answered her with another heart stopping kiss.

-:-


The atmosphere surrounding Hogwarts was not the relaxing one Harry expected as he and Hermione walked through the Entrance Hall. It wasn't empty; in fact, there were many familiar faces. Collin Creevey and his brother Dennis waved half heartily at them as they made their way into the Great Hall for dinner. Cho Chang walked by silently. When she saw Harry, she gave him a weak smile and turned away.

"Something seem, off to you?" Hermione whispered as they got closer to Dumbledore's office.

"A bit," Harry replied, giving her hand a squeeze. Hermione returned it with a supportive smile and they soon found themselves in front of the grand phoenix statue.

"Oh, Mister Potter thank goodness you're here."

Harry and Hermione both turned to see Professor McGonagal ((A/N: I don't know how to spell it exactly, and I'm too lazy to go fetch my books but you know who I'm talking about anyway)) coming towards them in a hurried manner.

"Is everything alright Professor?" Hermione asked quietly.

"I'm afraid that's why you two are here," the old woman sighed. "The password is Laffy Taffy and. . . welcome home." She gave a slight nod and headed off in the opposite direction.

Harry raised his eyebrows at Hermione, not excited about what was going on. The girl sighed as she started to climb the moving staircase up to their Headmaster's office. Harry knocked on the great oak door twice, before deciding to open it on his own.

Harry, still holding Hermione's hand, led her inside the familiar circular room. Hermione, however, had never been to this place before and she marveled at all of the fascinating contraptions and paintings. They made their way to the desk and Harry smiled to see the Fawkes was alive and well, sleeping happily on his perch.

"You are welcome to borrow my books anytime Mr. Longbottom."

Harry jumped a little at the sudden, raspy voice and watched as Professor Dumbledore made his way down the stairs with Neville.

"Oh you two are here, delightful," Dumbledore smiled at seeing Harry and Hermione.

"Hi guys," Neville murmured, waving a wee bit. Hermione gave him an affectionate smile and Harry nodded at him. "I best be off to dinner-thanks Professor." And the boy made his way out with a large book in hand and not another word spoken.

"Well, take your seats," Dumbledore said, gesturing to two chairs before him. Harry and Hermione sat down quietly and watched their Headmaster carefully. "Now I suppose you two are wondering why I brought you back so soon, yes?"

They both nodded without making a sound.

"Well I'll make it quite quick," Dumbledore went on, "you see, since the third task of the Tri-wizard Tournament, Voldemort has been recruiting more and more followers and killing more and more innocent people. Corneilious Fudge refused to face facts and the Ministry of Magic has been overthrown by Death Eaters." A gasp escaped from Hermione but Dumbledore still continued. "Voldemort has been taking desperate and absurd measures this time around. He has given most of his victims an ultimatum. Either they join him in his escapades, or he kills them and their family. Anyway, the students that you have seen present here already are victims of Voldemort's twisted game. Most of their parents are Death Eaters now. But some are now orphans. For instance, the Creevey brothers; their parents were attacked and the two boys were sent here straight away. And Mr. Longbottom; his grandmother is sadly gone."

Silent tears of remorse were beginning to stream down Hermione's cheeks and Harry looked desperately at the old man.

"But Sir," Harry muttered, "why have you brought Hermione and I back?"

"Because Harry," Dumbledore said sadly, "the world is no longer safe. And the world needs you."

"What about Hermione?"

"You, Harry," Dumbledore said, "you need Miss Granger."

Harry nodded, trying to take in all of the horrid information. Something started tugging at the back of his brain, but Hermione got to it first.

"Pro-Professor," she stammered, "what about Ron? I mean, Harry needs Ron just as well."

"Yes well we all would like to have our best friend with us in times like these. But due to the circumstances we can't always have what we want."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because," Dumbledore explained, "nobody can find the Weasley family."