Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Cry of the Phoenix by VMaster
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Cry of the Phoenix

VMaster

The next two weeks dragged by rather slowly. The teachers where giving them more homework than ever before. They were almost exclusively going over O.W.L.s now, and Hermione was even more frantic about their study schedules. To top that off, Harry had increased the number of practices for the Quidditch team to three times a week, as well as one match a week with the second string unit.

Harry didn't have time to think about much else these days. Since he was so tired, he fell asleep quickly at night, and he wasn't having those visions anymore, not that he missed them. On the morning of their Hogsmeade trip Harry was serving himself some porridge, while talking with Hermione about their plans. A swarm of owls flew into the hall, as they went about making their morning deliveries.

Harry, who had spent the last two weeks looking for a certain delivery, smiled as he saw what he had been waiting for. An eagle owl came swooping in, holding a long thin package. It came gracefully to their table and stopped a short way down, next to Ron. Harry wanted to run over to Ron and watch him rip it open, but he just poured some sugar on his cereal instead.

He heard Dean and Seamus wonder aloud what Ron had gotten. They quickly went over to help him open it. When they had finished, he heard them gasp at what was in front of them. After staring at his new acquisition for a while, he finally realized that there was a note attached.

After he read the note, Ron said, "I don't believe it. I finally own a decent broom."

Harry winced a little at this, but he didn't say anything. Hermione must have known what Harry was feeling, because she put her hand on top of his. When she did this, it stopped his hand from shaking. Harry glanced over at her for a second before returning his attention to Ron.

"That's not just any broom," said Dean, who was awestruck, gasped, "that's the new Clean Sweep Eight."

Seamus, who was looking closely at it, asked, "those are pretty expensive. Who got it for you?"

Ron read the letter that came with it, and smiled as he said, "my mum. She got it as a gift for me becoming a prefect."

Dean said, "that's amazing."

"Cool. You're so lucky Ron," Seamus added.

After a few minutes, they started getting up and filing into the entrance hall. Harry saw that Ron was on the other side with Cho. She was looking on intently as Ron was proudly showing her his new broom. Harry didn't think that he could feel any worse. He was wrong.

There was a nasty drawl of a voice that came from another end of the hall, "hey, Weasel. What have you got there?"

Ron pretended that he didn't hear him, as he continued to show off his new broom to Cho.

When Malfoy walked closer, he said louder, "you got a new broom? What happened to your Firebolt?"

Ron, who continued to ignore him, now wasn't talking at all anymore.

Malfoy continued to taunt him, "don't tell me that you don't have it anymore. Did your true friend take it back?"

As Malfoy was talking his two enormous bodyguards, Crabbe and Goyle, guffawed stupidly behind him. Ron however was now starting to shake slightly.

"Or maybe, you realize that you don't really have a true friend after all. I mean what true friend would steal your date right out from under you, not that she any great loss."

Ron was now holding his broom in an odd manner. Harry had a bad feeling about this. He was holding it from its end, like a bat. Cho apparently noticed this too, and pulled it out of his hands.

"So you got a Clean Sweep. That's more of a Weasel's speed after all. But, my, my, a model Eight. I guess your family won't mind going hungry for a year to afford it after all," Malfoy said as his two goons continued to chuckle.

Ron faced Malfoy, and quickly pulled out his own wand from his robes. Malfoy, however, was ready for him, already pointing his wand at him. Crabbe and Goyle had stopped laughing at this point and where rubbing their knuckles menacingly.

Before they could do anything, they heard a reproving voice from the entrance of the Great Hall, "what, exactly, is going on here?"

They turned around to see the stern face of Professor McGonagall,

Before they could say anything Hermione, thinking quickly, said, "they are showing each other their wands."

Everyone turned to look at Hermione, and a few chuckled softly. Professor McGonagall, however, simply nodded, before turning to Ron and Malfoy, "ok. Now put them away. You don't want people to think you are up to anything, do you?"

"Yes, Professor, No Professor," they muttered as they put their wands back in their robes.

"Now, off you go. I assume you all have places to be."

As she said this, the crowd slowly dispersed. Malfoy, closely followed by his two cronies, headed down the stairs toward the Slytherin common room. After Cho handed Ron back his broom, he headed up the marble staircase toward the Gryffindor tower.

When they were alone Harry stared at Hermione, and asked, "showing each other their wands?"

"Best I could come up with," she shrugged. "I wasn't exactly going to say that they were about to duel, was I?"

Harry just shook his head and said, "Hermione, you never cease to absolutely amaze me."

She smiled, and said, "I do try."

They waited for a couple of minutes before heading up the marble staircase themselves. When Harry walked up to his dormitory, he saw Ron exit as he entered.

Harry grabbed his cloak and went down to find Hermione waiting for him. They went to the entrance hall, where Filch was checking people off against a list of people who had permission to visit the nearby wizarding village. Filch, who was a Squib, didn't trust any of the students, giving them each a suspicious look as he checked them off, one by one.

Once they had reached the grounds, Hermione took hold of Harry's hand and they walked toward the front gate. Harry saw Ron and Cho doing the same thing some distance ahead of them, and he had a queasy feeling in his stomach again.

After they saw Ron and Cho enter the Three Broomsticks, Hermione led Harry of into an alleyway, to a little café. Harry had never noticed this little out of the way place until now. There were a few students in there. Harry noticed that they were mostly couples who were seeking some privacy.

They sat down at a little booth that was next to a window that could look out toward the main street. Harry took the seat that had the better view of the passersby, and Hermione ordered two butterbeers before she joined him.

After a minute, a plump witch came up to them and brought them their order, and said to call her if they needed anything else. Hermione thanked her, and she left them alone. After a minute or so, of looking at Hermione, but having his thoughts elsewhere, he finally realized that she was talking to him.

Harry cleared his head, and said, "sorry, what did you say?"

"I was asking you, what was a matter,"

"Nothing."

Hermione smiled at him, and said, "well, you seemed distracted."

"I'm sorry. I can't help it."

Hermione, who knew exactly what it that was bothering Harry, said, "don't worry. He'll get past this. He has before."

Harry, who was now staring at their joined hands, said, "yeah, but what if he doesn't?"

"Don't think like that. He'll come around. I know he will," Hermione said, although she sounded more hopeful, than convinced.

Harry never felt closer to anyone than he did right now. He leaned over to her, and she did the same in turn, and he said, quietly, but clearly, "you know I love you, don't you?"

There was a tear coming from her sweet brown eyes now, and she nodded. Harry leaned forward a little further and gave her a deep, passionate kiss. Harry didn't know how he could have gone through the last couple of months if it wasn't for her.

Neither of them spoke for a while. They just sat there, drinking their butterbeers, and looking into each other's eyes. Finally, Harry saw something out of the corner of his eyes. It was Malfoy and Pansy, or more specifically, it was Pansy, dragging Malfoy by the hand down the main street. Crabbe and Goyle were following a little distance behind.

Hermione noticed that something had gotten Harry's attention, and turned to see what he was looking at so intently. After she figured it out, she started to giggle. Harry had to admit that this was a pretty amusing sight. He watched as the four of them disappeared into the Three Broomsticks.

Hermione looked at Harry, and said, "Pansy and Malfoy?"

Harry gave her a bemused look, "yeah, well they deserve each other, or at least it protects two other people from having to be with them."

"What about Crabbe and Goyle?"

Harry realized that they were tagging along again, unescorted, which he enjoyed to no ends, "I wondered about that, yes, but I try to think about them as little as humanly possible."

They laughed a little at this, and returned to staring into each other's eyes.

Hermione asked, "how is the team coming along?"

"We should be ready, and we'd better win, because if we don't, I'll never hear the end of it from Oliver. He's been pelting me constantly with owls ever since he found that I was named captain."

Hermione looked surprised by this, as she asked, "really? What has he been telling you?"

"He's mostly been giving me advice on how to prepare the team. I bet this is eating him up that he couldn't still be here for this."

"I thought that he would be thrilled that he is playing professionally now."

"Ordinarily, yes, but this could be a once in a lifetime experience. Also, I have read, from the Quidditch magazine I have been receiving, that Oliver isn't getting much of an opportunity to play."

"Really? Why not?"

"Well, you see he is a reserve, and since the starter pretty much plays all the time there isn't much of an opportunity for him."

"That's too bad, but he'll get his opportunity soon enough, I'm sure."

"Well, that's not the only problem. The magazine is also speculating that his team is already looking for a replacement. They seem to think that he isn't going to develop."

"It's a shame. He's such a nice person."

"He's also a good keeper. I don't know what the problem is, but whenever I ask him about it, he either ignores the question, or simply says that there isn't any problem."

"Well, maybe there isn't."

"Yeah, I hope so."

After Harry and Hermione finished their drinks, Harry left some gold to pay for them. They strolled out onto the street, and started to do a little window-shopping, showing each other some item they would like to have.

When Hermione looked admiringly at a flower, Harry took the cue and purchased it for her. They bought a few things from Honey Dukes, and they walked over toward the Shrieking Shack where they enjoyed some of the sweets that they had just purchased.

They looked at the old building, remembering their visit to it at the end of their third year. Harry was thinking just how much his life had changed in that relatively short period. Some of it was good, he thought, as he looked at Hermione, who was finishing a chocolate cream ball. He also thought of Sirius, who had become a part of his life.

In the last year there have been several thing that have been troubling Harry. Harry remembered when Remus, whom Harry thought was, at the time, his favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, was forced to resign. He also thought of the problems he has been having with his best friend, and of course, it seemed that he couldn't go a night without reliving Cedric's last few moments of life.

Harry was now lost in deep thought when Hermione broke his concentration, saying, "Harry, are you ok?"

Harry looked at her, grabbed her free hand, and said, "yeah, I'm better than ok."

Hermione beamed at him, and they started back to the school grounds, walking hand-in-hand. When they were approaching the Three Broomsticks, Harry saw Ron and Cho leaving. He yanked Hermione into an alleyway behind the pub.

Hermione, who was picking up her things that had flown out of her hands at the sudden movement, said, "what was that all about?"

"Didn't you see them?"

"Yes. So what's the problem? I mean you already knew about them."

"Yes, but they don't know that I know about them."

"What are you going to do, hide every time you see them together?"

"Maybe."

"You're hopeless, you know?"

"Yes, hopelessly in love with you,"

Hermione sighed, gave him a kiss on the cheek and asked, "can we go now?"

Harry snuck a look around the corner, and when he couldn't see them he said, "ok, let's go."

As they passed the front gate to the school grounds, Harry suggested that they pay Hagrid a visit. Hermione agreed and they walked toward his hut. When they were about to knock, Harry heard people talking inside.

Harry placed a finger over his lips, and pointed toward a window. He walked over and peeked inside to try to see the source of these voices. What he saw made his heart sink. Inside were Ron and Cho, sitting and having tea with Hagrid. Harry was upset that Ron would do this, believing that this was somehow betraying him.

Harry looked at Hermione, and pointed toward the castle. Hermione shook her head, and pointed toward Hagrid's front door. Harry shook his head, and pointed to the castle again.

They must have been making noise, because he was startled by a booming, jovial voice, "are you two comin' in or are you goin' to stand out 'ere and wave yer arms all night?"

Harry turned around to see Hagrid's smiling face, and said, "uh, hello Hagrid."

Hermione said, "we were coming by to pay you a visit."

Hagrid started to chuckle, and said, "the door is over there, unless you were planning on coming in through my window."

They both gave him a weak smile, and forced a little chuckle. Hagrid waved them in, saying, "come on in then."

When Harry walked in, he exchanged an uncomfortable glance with Ron, before he diverted his gaze. He sat down in an empty seat next to Hermione, who was saying hello to Cho.

Hagrid said casually, "you know, this is the first time I've seen the three of you together, outside of class that is, in a long time."

There was an awkward silence after that for a few minutes, as they were all exchanging nervous glances at one another.

Ron broke the silence, saying, "we really should be going now."

Hagrid had a disappointed look on his face, "but you jus' got 'ere."

"I know, but we have to, uh, study," Ron said.

Cho was giving him a quizzical look now, but remained silent. Ron got up and opened the door. Cho followed his lead and got up. She shrugged said goodbye to Hermione, and followed him out. Once the door was closed, and Ron and Cho had left, Hagrid gave the two of them a piercing look.

"What was that all about?"

Hermione looked at him, and said uneasily, "well."

Hagrid shook his head, and said, "you lot aren't still going on about that, are you?"

Hermione was about to say something, when Harry, who was looking down at the large wooden table, said, "no, this isn't about that."

Nobody said anything for a moment, until Hagrid said, "then what's the problem? I mean, you're best friends, right?"

Hermione placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, as he said, "I really don't know anymore."

As Hagrid was about to say something again, Harry, who didn't feel like discussing this in great detail, said, "I think we should go too."

Hagrid was clearly taken aback, asked, "why? What's the matter?"

"Nothing. We just need to study."

Hagrid was clearly disappointed, said, "ok. I'll talk to you…"

Harry sprung up from his seat and was out the door before Hagrid could finish his thought. Hermione chassed after him, asking in a slightly shocked voice, "what was that all about?"

"I really don't want to talk about it."

"About what?"

"Any of it."

When Harry continued to walk away from her, Hermione grabbed his arm, and shouted, "Harry James Potter, what is your problem?"

Harry turned to face Hermione, and barked, "it's over. I've come to peace with it, why can't you."

Hermione had a shocked and hurt look on her face, "what are you talking about?"

He couldn't look her in the eye anymore, so he looked down toward her knees instead, and said, "I have just realized that I lost my best friend…forever."

Harry wrenched his arm out of Hermione's grip and walked into the castle without saying another word. He said for the first time what he had known for quite some time already.

After he stormed off, he went up to his dormitory, not wanting to have the same pointless conversation with Hermione again. When he entered, he was pleased to see that it was still empty, so he lied down on his four-poster and pulled the drapes shut.

Harry closed his eyes and thought to himself that he had to apologize to Hermione. This wasn't her fault, and he really shouldn't take it out on her. No, he thought to himself, his problem was with Ron. Harry knew that there wasn't anything that she, or anyone else for that matter, could have done about it.

As his watch chimed, he heard as the other Gryffindor fifth years starting to come into his dormitory. He pretended to be sleeping as they started to get ready to go to sleep. After a little while, he noticed Ron enter the room, through a gap in his drapes.

After a moment, Harry closed his drapes the rest of the way, and turned around. He removed his glasses, wiping a tear from his eyes. He placed his glasses on his bedside table, and closed his eyes. His thoughts started to drift, as he was getting drowsy.

Harry started to think, with Christmas nearing, he was going to need to find an appropriate gift for Hermione. He also thought about the looming first match of the tournament. He thought that the team was getting better. They were playing beyond Harry's expectations, and he had to admit that even Ron was proving to be an asset.

In the morning, Harry went down to the great hall with Hermione, who was still upset with him. When they got to the Gryffindor table, they saw Professor McGonagall was checking with people who were going to be accompanying the team to the tournament at Beauxbatons.

As Harry was serving himself some bacon and eggs, there was a flurry of activity overhead. He looked up and saw the post owls were making their morning deliveries. Harry looked up hoping that Hedwig would stop by, even if she didn't have a delivery for him, since it has been some time since he had last seen her.

Harry was taken by surprise when an owl other than Hedwig stopped in front of him. Hermione had noticed this as well, and looked on as Harry started pulling a letter from the tawny owl in front of him. When he had finished removing the letter, the owl took off at once, and Harry quickly opened his letter. He was surprised to see that it was from Fleur.

Dear Harry,

I am pleased to hear that you are doing well. I look forward to seeing you again, as well as having an opportunity to face you in competition again. I must warn you, however, that I will have a much more presentable performance this time.

Gabrielle has informed me that you have been made the captain of your Quidditch team. I am not surprised by thus, because you showed real leadership in our tournament. I have learned not to underestimate you, and I will not make that mistake again.

I have found out that you have been getting information on our team from my little sister. At first I was outraged, but as you no doubt know by now, I have done the same thing. As they say, all is fair in love, war, and Quidditch, eh?

We have been preparing for this match for some time, and I know that you have as well. I am looking forward to a good clean match, and I may the best team win. I must to admit that I was happy to see that we were facing Hogwarts first.

There isn't much time left before we see each other again. When you arrive to Beauxbatons, I will be only too happy to show you around the grounds. Will your little friend be coming with you?

Yours truly,

Fleur

Hermione, who was reading the letter from over Harry's shoulder wasn't too pleased. She shook her head, and said, "little friend. Who do you think she was talking about?"

It was a rhetorical question, as they both knew exactly whom she was talking about. Harry was happy, however, to see her get so upset by this. It took her attention off her being upset with him, for the time being at least.

The last couple of weeks before the Christmas break where hectic to say the least. Most of their professors were giving them a little bit of a break from their homework, to get ready for their first match. That is, with the noticeable exception of Professor Snape.

When he wrote their homework assignment on the board after a particularly difficult lesson, the class moaned. Snape looked around the room, and in barely more than a whisper said, "while I understand many of you will be taking potions for the last time this year." His gaze fell on Harry as he said this and smiled, "I will make sure that you will all be able to achieve at least an Acceptable by the time of the O.W.L. exam."

Harry had scheduled one last Quidditch practice for the team, just to get a little last minute work before their match. The practice did wonders for Harry, helping him get some of his stress out. After a thorough workout, Harry was pulled aside by the twins.

Fred, who looked concerned, asked, "have you figured out what their secret weapon is yet?"

Harry shook his head, and said, "no, although I think Hermione might know."

George looked around, and whispered, "well, we have to take some precautions, just in case."

Now Harry was concerned, as he asked, "precautions? What are you talking about?"

"Don't worry about it mate," Fred said, grinning. "We'll take care of everything."

The twins walked away, and Harry tried not to get too concerned, but that was pretty much impossible, considering that he knew the twins were capable of doing pretty much anything, given the right motivation.

Harry tried his best to put this out of his mind as he went over to Hermione. She had apparently forgiven him for his outburst by now, and Harry was grateful for that. The two of them walked over to the library to do get started on their holiday homework.

After they had been working on their homework for a while, Harry's thoughts were starting to drift. When he looked up toward Hermione's bright eyes, he noticed that she was saying something to him. Harry shook his head to try to regain his focus, and said, "sorry, what did you say?"

Hermione looked at him for a second before she asked, "I asked you if you were concerned about the match? It's less than a week away, you know."

"A little bit, I guess."

"What's on your mind then?"

Harry grabbed a hold of Hermione's hands before saying, "I was just thinking of how lucky I am."

Hermione smiled, and they continued to work on their homework for the better portion of the night. When they were finished Harry went to his dormitory, and as he was packing his things, a flood of questions came over him.

Harry was going to be leaving the country for the first time in his life. What was France going to be like? Harry knew that Hermione went there a couple of years ago, but not much else. How also wondered how they going to get there, and where were they going to stay?

There was also the persistent question that has been in the back of his mind for some time now. What was their secret weapon? After finishing getting ready, Harry drifted off to sleep.