Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Cry of the Phoenix by VMaster
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Cry of the Phoenix

VMaster

That night, as Harry went down to dinner with Hermione and Ron, he was pleased to find that Oliver and Charlie were still there. They were sitting at their old house table, waiting for the feast to begin, while Fred and George were harassing them for the results of the tryouts. The three of them joined them, sitting down across the table from the pair of alumnus

"Hello Oliver, Charlie," Harry said.

Charlie beamed at him, greeting him, "hello Harry, good to see you again."

"Great job today, Harry. You have developed into quite a player," Oliver said.

"I agree, Harry that was an excellent bit of flying today."

Harry was a little embarrassed by this, thinking that he didn't do that great a job.

"I got frustrated after a while, trying to figure out which ones were good, so after a while I caught anything I could get my hands on," Harry said.

Charlie grinned and said, "yeah, and you frustrated the heck out of the other two, because everything they were about to catch, you caught first."

Oliver turned to Ron and said, "that was a really good job you did out there Ron, I was impressed."

Ron was looking a little pink, "I gave up a bunch of goals though."

"Ron, you were facing three chasers, without any defense, and without any Bludgers. Of course you are going to give up goals, but you still gave a very presentable performance," Oliver said.

Noticing that Ron was turning rather red by now, Harry decided to change the conversation.

"How do you like it with Puddlemere, Oliver?"

Oliver brightened up immediately, "I love it there. We had a pretty good season last year, and I am hoping to make the starting team this season."

Harry turned to Charlie and asked, "how are the dragons treating you in Romania?"

"Things are just great, thanks," Charlie said, smiling at Harry.

Oliver looked appalled, "you were a brilliant seeker Charlie, and you threw that all away. You could have played for England."

"So they would have lost 240-160 instead of 390-10. Besides, I love what I do."

"You were the best seeker that I ever saw," Oliver said. "until Harry, that is."

Harry turned very red at this, however Charlie appeared to take it in his stride.

"At least I'm not a second string keeper on a lousy team," Charlie calmly replied.

Things were getting ugly and Harry didn't like this at all, so he looked to Hermione, who remained unusually quiet.

Before she could say anything, Dumbledore stood up and the hall went quiet.

"Welcome everyone. We have a very special night in store for you. After the Halloween feast we are going to have our special Halloween Ball. The ball will start at midnight precisely and will continue for as long as any of you wish to partake.

"The usual curfew has been temporarily suspended for this evening. However, every place that is usually out of bounds to students, shall continue to be," Dumbledore, said, eyeing the twins. Needless to say, they didn't look to thrilled to hear this reminder.

"You will have ample opportunity to prepare for the ball tonight after the feast," Dumbledore continued. Hermione, along with several of the other girls, didn't look too thrilled at this. Last year it took her the better part of six hours to get ready, although Harry very much doubted that she would spend anywhere near that time for a date with Ron.

"I would like to welcome our illustrious alumnus to tonight's festivities. They, along with their escorts, will be joining us for the ball. While I know you are all looking forward to our scrumptious feast, I have a very special announcement. There is a little matter of announcing the starting members of the first unified Hogwarts Quidditch team."

There was a sudden buzz in the hall, and Dumbledore waited a few minutes for it to die away before he began.

"Before I announce the members of the team I would like to congratulate each and every student who tried out for the team. The turnout was better than we could have hoped for, and you all performed admirably. Unfortunately, we cannot take everyone, and this was by no means an easy decision. Those of you whom did not make the team will be relied upon to show support for those who did. You will be contributing in a very real, and important manner by doing this.

"So with no further ado, the starting Hogwarts Quidditch team. Where is that list? I had it here somewhere," Dumbledore said as he fumbled through his robes.

Finally, McGonagall handed him a role of parchment and he said, "ah, ahem, yes, here we go. First, the starting beaters will be, whom many people have called the human Bludgers, although they certainly cause more trouble and damage than any Bludgers I have ever seen, Fred and George Weasley."

Most of the hall applauded, with the Gryffindors making up for the silence of the Slytherins.

"Next, the Chasers. I have to admit this was a particularly difficult one to pick. First, you all played extremely well, but unlike the other positions, chasers must work as a unit. The more experience a group of chasers have with each other, the better they perform, especially against the quality of teams that we will be facing.

"So, after a considerable amount of consideration, we have made our selection, because as good as they are individually, and trust me they are very talented, as a group they are one of the best sets that we have had in a long time.

"So, the chasers are, in no particular order, Angelina Johnson, Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet."

Once again, the crowd applauded loudly at this selection. When the noise once again subsided, Dumbledore continued.

"Next, as for the keeper, and since all of the keepers from our last house tournament have graduated we will be starting someone new this year. Once again, this was a difficult choice, but after a long session, we have come to a decision. The person that was chosen has had several members of their family that are, or have been, members of their house Quidditch team over the years. We feel that he should be able to live up to the high standard of play that his family has demonstrated. Now help me in congratulating our starting keeper, none other than Ronald Weasley."

The crowd applauded loudly at the news, but the entire of the Gryffindor table was smothering him. Harry was thrilled at this news. He felt that Ron deserved a chance to have his name in the spotlight for a change.

After a few minutes to allow the Gryffindor table to return to their positions, Dumbledore once again went on, picking up a golden chalice with a picture of a broom and a golden snitch etched on it along with a name Harry couldn't see properly.

"And lastly, we have our starting seeker. I would like to take a moment beforehand to make another announcement if I could. Last year the school lost someone near and dear to everyone in Cedric Diggory. Cedric, the former Hufflepuff seeker, was taken in a cold, cruel and malicious act by a coward, and will never be forgotten. However, to make sure of this we are starting a tradition at Hogwarts.

"Starting from this point forward we will present an award to the player who most represents bravery, courage and determination that epitomized the late Hufflepuff Captain. This will be known as the Cedric Diggory Memorial Trophy. To that end, I hope you all will join with me in honoring him, by supporting the effort to capture the Quidditch cup for Hogwarts this year.

"Now, for the seeker, we have selected a player who in many ways, show the determination, courage and leadership that made Cedric so special. This person has overcome a number of obstacles that would have made a lesser person falter, maybe even stop trying altogether, however, perseverance is one of the candidate's many endeavoring qualities, and the seeker should prove to be an enormous asset in what should be an extremely difficult tournament.

"So, once again I ask you in joining me, not only in welcoming our new seeker, but also our first recipient of the first annual Cedric Diggory Memorial Trophy, Harry Potter."

The hall exploded with applause. Even the Hufflepuffs were applauding loudly, which Harry was pleased to see. The Slytherins were quiet and moping, which made Harry very happy.

This time it was Harry's turn to be swarmed by his classmates. When Hermione got through the crowd, she hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

After a long time eventually, the hall calmed down enough for Dumbledore to tell them that the feast shall begin, as their plates and goblets filled and they enjoyed a very pleasant meal. Most of the girls left early, including Hermione, presumably to get ready for the ball.

After they finished their dessert, the rest of the students went up to their dormitory to prepare. Harry and Ron were busy congratulating each other on their way up. After a few minutes, Harry and Ron finished preparing for the ball, and talked a little bit more about the upcoming tournament.

Harry had to admit that Ron looked much better in his new robes then he did last year. When he was looking him over, he noticed that Ron was holding something in his hands that looked a lot like a flower.

"What's that?"

Ron looked a little embarrassed, and said, "my mum told me to give this to Hermione. It's a corsage."

Harry suddenly felt like an idiot for not thinking of that himself.

When Harry and Ron went to the common room, he saw several people meeting up there. Fred was going with Angelina again. He went out with her in the last ball. George was going out with Katie.

"I'm going to wait for Hermione here," Ron said.

"I'm going downstairs to wait for Cho," Harry said, still not really believing that he was actually going out with her.

Harry got downstairs and saw several other people waiting for their partners. After several minutes, Cho came strolling up from her house dormitory.

Harry's jaw dropped. He was stunned. He always thought that Cho was pretty, but the way she looked tonight was incredible.

Harry, finally closed his mouth, and after composing himself all he was able to say was, "you look nice Cho."

Cho smiled, flashed her baby blue eyes at him, and said, "thanks Harry, so do you."

They were talking for a couple of minutes when something unexpected happened. His two friends were coming downstairs from the common room, and what Harry saw amazed him.

Hermione was wearing her burgundy and gold robes, although he was surprised at how she looked in them. Harry was picturing how she had strolled into the entrance with Krum last year, and how much he hadn't expected her to look the way she did. This time it wasn't as much of a shock, but he couldn't help but think that she was even prettier then last year, if that was possible.

Harry noticed that his jaw had dropped again, and he closed it as quickly as possible. Looking at Hermione made him think of how Ron reacted when he saw Harry's Spitfire. The Firebolt was brilliant, but when you compare it to something that is that precious, it looks quite ordinary by comparison.

Cho gave him a disapproving look, but didn't say anything. Harry, realizing the way that he was staring at his friends, turned and tried to focus his attention on Cho. He looked around and saw that several of the students looked very nice, especially Parvati and Padma Patil, but Harry felt that he and Ron were with the two best-looking girls in the school.

Professor McGonagall got their attention. "In a few minutes you will enter the great hall for the ball. When you do, you will take your assigned seats at your respective tables. The members of the school Quidditch team will follow a few minutes latter with their escorts."

After a minute, everyone was gone, except for the team members, and their escorts. Besides Harry and Cho, Ron and Hermione, Fred and Angelina, George and Katie, the only others were Alicia, and her escort Lee.

After a few minutes, they entered in pairs, strolling along the hall to an empty table at the far end. Fred whispered to Harry, "last year Parvati, and this year Cho. Not bad at all."

Harry looked at him and said, "you guys didn't do too badly either."

George grinned, "too true." The two of them put their arms around their dates and continued walking. They sat down at the head table and waited for the ball to start. They interchanged boy and girls at each of the tables and Harry wound up sitting down between Cho and Hermione.

When everyone took their places Dumbledore, now wearing handsome dress robes of silver and black, rose up, and said, while we prepare for the evening's festivities, please take this opportunity to talk among yourselves."

Harry looked at Hermione, and was going to say something, when he felt something on his hand. He looked over and saw that Cho was, not so subtly, trying to catch his attention. When he looked over again, he saw that Ron was doing the same thing.

They talked for a while, until they saw the headmaster take his position. He got up and introduced the band that will be playing at the ball. Harry remembered the name from the wizarding radio in the Weasleys' house. When the Wandering Wizards were announced, the students stood up in applause. After they got up the tables were moved to the side to allow people to dance. Cho grabbed him by the hand, and the two of them started dancing.

Harry now was where he had been dreaming of for the past three years. He was dancing with Cho. She was extremely pretty, and she was perfectly nice. So the question was why wasn't he happy? He looked across the hall and saw Ron and Hermione dancing and he suddenly felt ill. However, the sight of his two best friends like this really unnerved him, although he wasn't sure why.

He peered closer and saw they were talking. He was trying to see if he could make out what they were saying, but they were too far away. Meanwhile he was completely ignoring the girl who was less than six inches from him.

Cho must have been talking to him, but he was so preoccupied that he didn't notice until he felt a pain in his shin. Apparently she kicked him, and he finally looked at her properly again.

"Earth to Harry. Are you in there?"

"Were you saying something?"

"I said congratulations on making the school team."

"Thanks Cho," Harry said. "I'm sorry. I guess I have things on my mind."

"I can see that," Cho said, looking from him toward Hermione. "Is there something going on between you two?"

Harry was confused, "what are you talking about?"

"Look, I may have been born on a Tuesday, but it wasn't last Tuesday. I can see how you are looking at her. Is there something going on?"

"No, were just friends."

"Can I ask you something Harry?"

"Anything."

"When I asked you out, why did you say yes?"

Harry was really taken aback by the bluntness of the question. "What do you mean?"

"Listen, Harry, I know why I asked you out, but I want to know why did you agree to escort me?"

Harry, uncertain on what to say at this point said the first thing that came to his mind, "I like you." He knew that this was a lame answer as soon as it came out of his mouth.

Cho considered him for a few seconds and said, "you like me? If the truth be told, you really don't know me at all. I mean you say you like me, but what do you really know about me.

"Do you know where I am from? Do you know what my parents do? Do you know where I spend my holidays? Do you know what I want to do after I leave school? Do you even know who any of my friends are? In fact, the only thing you know about me is that I used to date Cedric and I am the seeker for the Ravenclaw house team.

"Look, from what I know about you Harry, I like you too, and yes, I would like to get to know you better, but before that can happen you have got to get over this, because otherwise you will never be able to give anyone the attention they deserve.

"You go and do what you got to do to get over this." Cho gave him a kiss on the cheek and said, "If you are right, and you are just friends, you know where to find me, and I will be more than willing to give you another opportunity to do this properly."

Harry was unprepared for anything like this. Hermione was with Ron now, and he had to face that. Harry said, "I don't want to spoil her night."

Cho smiled, and said, "it doesn't look like she is having that great a time anyway." Cho nodded over to Hermione who was sitting alone in a corner of the hall.

Harry hesitated until Cho said, "go on. Get it over with"

Harry took a deep breath and walked over to Hermione, whom he finally noticed was wearing the corsage that Ron had earlier.

"Hello Hermione. Where's Ron?"

Hermione smiled as he walked over, and said, "he went to get some drinks, and where's Cho?"

"She had to powder her nose," Harry lied. "You look nice tonight."

"Thanks, and so do you."

"Enjoying yourself?"

"Oh, yeah. I though this was going to be weird, but it has been very comfortable."

"I know exactly what you mean."

"Congratulations on making the school team."

"Thanks," Harry continued quickly before he had an opportunity to lose his nerve, "look Hermione, I need to talk to you about something."

Hermione looked a little curious, "go ahead. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I think we need a little privacy for this though."

"Wont Cho miss you then?"

Harry, seeing Cho already dancing with someone else, said, "I don't think that will be a problem."

"Ok. Let's go for a walk."

"Wont Ron miss you?"

Looking a little guilty, Hermione said, "I don't think that will be a problem."

The two of them quietly exited the great hall, went through the main doors, and walked toward the lake. It was a little chilly, so there weren't many people outside.

After they walked a couple of minutes, Hermione looked at Harry and said, "What is it then?"

"What's what?"

Hermione hit his arm softly, and said, "don't be silly. You wanted to talk to me about something, right?"

Harry was flustered. He really didn't know where to begin. After a minute, he finally said tentatively, "well, you see, the thing is, what I really mean." Harry wasn't able to finish his thought, because he was busy thinking to himself that those must be the sweetest eyes he has ever seen.

Hermione, speaking softly and slowly said, "what are you talking about?"

Harry knew what he felt, but wasn't exactly the most eloquent speaker, so he couldn't think of exactly what to say. Finally, Harry said slowly, "Hermione, I have been thinking a lot about you lately. I value your friendship too much too much to say or do anything to jeopardize that."

Hermione, who was facing Harry now, seemed to have lost her voice, but simply nodded.

"If I am wrong about this, I hope you can forgive me," Harry said, as he slowly leaned forward, and placed a small, soft, gentle kiss on her lips. It was awkward, and probably very uncomfortable, but at least she knew how he felt. Harry pulled away quickly, not really knowing what to expect.

When Hermione didn't move, when she didn't say or do anything, Harry's nerve had a chance to stiffen again and he placed his hand behind Hermione's neck and leaned in more forcefully. This was a much better kiss. First off, he was a lot less nervous that she might run away screaming. Second, he was actually able to breathe this time, which helped a lot.

After a couple of seconds, he felt Hermione put her arms around his neck, and started to return his kiss. Harry could actually feel her heart beat against his, and he didn't want this to end. After a while they finally broke their embrace, Harry looked in her eyes, and she in his, and when she returned his smile, he knew things were never going to be the same ever again.

Harry was happy, really happy, perhaps for the first time in his life. He was happier than when he found out about Hogwarts, happier than when he first flew, happier than when they won the house cup, happier than when they won the Quidditch cup, perhaps even happier than when Sirius told him he was going to leave to Dursleys.

They spent the next couple of hours in front of the lake, talking and kissing, then kissing and talking. Before they knew what was happening the sun was starting to rise. They went back to the castle hand in hand, hardly believing that this had actually happened. When they reached the entrance, they found Cho and Ron waiting for them in front of the Great hall with the remnants of the party.

When Cho saw them, she simply nodded and walked away. Ron, on the other hand was in a state of utter disbelief. He saw the two of them, looked down at their joined hands, which they quickly released, and ran upstairs, without a word.

"I've got to go, Hermione."

"I understand, Harry," Hermione said, and she gave him a quick little kiss before he ran after Ron.

Harry bolted up the stairway after his other best friend. He knew that this was not going to be pretty, but he had to do this. When he was in front of the fat lady, it took him a few moments to remember the password. He said the first thing that came to mind, and the fat lady, who apparently also spent the night partying said, "whatever." and let him in.

Harry ran up the stairs to the boys' dormitory, where he found Ron in front of their room, holding his Firebolt. Harry wasn't sure what he was going to do. He was half expecting him to start beating him about the head and shoulders with it.

Instead, he just tossed it to Harry.

"Take back your broom, Harry. Since you know I like it, you will take it away from me eventually anyway."

"Look, Ron, I want to explain."

"Explain? You want to explain? Do you want to explain how you lied to me about how you feel about Hermione? Do you want to explain how you stole her, right out from under me, on our first date? Or maybe you want to explain that when you did figure out how you feel about Herm, you didn't come to me first?"

"Look, Ron, this isn't about you."

Harry realized right away, that was the last thing he should have said.

"Of course it's not. It's never about me. It's always about the famous Harry Potter, with his scar, and his brooms, his large pile of gold and his defeat of you-know-who. And who am I? I am that red headed kid, you know, Harry Potter's friend.

"The one night I get a little glory of my own and you show me up again. I make the school team and then you get that stupid award. I came to the ball with the prettiest girl in the school, and whom does she leave with, you. It's all about Harry. It's always, all about Harry, in fact. Well, I am tired of living under your shadow, so take back your broom and...and..."

Ron ran into the room without finishing his thought, slamming the door behind him. As Harry stared into the closed door, he realized one thing. This was much deeper than the situation with Hermione, and had been building up for some time now. As Harry stared at the closed door, the thing Sirius had said to him came flooding back into his head. When he talked about other people's feelings, Harry obviously forgot to include his best friend's.