Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dark Betrayal by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dark Betrayal

Heaven

Chapter 2

WOW!! What a great response to chapter one! I am thrilled to see that most everyone seems to be enjoying this story so far! It's definitely a bit different than I normally do, because I HATE having Hermione be hurt, she's my favourite character!

A few of you had some good guesses as to who the villain might be, but my lips are sealed! Heehee!!!

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Co are all in their early 20's in this fic…. It's also going to be a short one, around 4 chapters at the moment!

I apologise for the delay in this chapter. As most of you know, I had a hard drive crash back at the end of March, and until this past Monday, I lost all my data. Luckily I got it all back so updates should be a bit more frequent.

Anyways, again, please don't forget to R/R, I thrive on reviews!!!!

All she could remember for awhile was darkness. Pinpricks of light would occasionally dance across her eyelids only to be swallowed by the blackness again moments later.

"….you have to tell her sometime Harry…." Muffled voices trailed over her, she could sometimes make out a word or two.

"…been through enough Ron, I'm not going to push this on her…." Another voice, a more familiar one, made her reach out.

She tried to talk, but her mouth would not form words. Instead, it opened and closed soundlessly. Neither of the men saw it; they were talking too heatedly over her head.

"…end of discussion Ron!" Harry said vehemently. His other best friend sat back in the chair on the opposite side of the bed.

"Fine, for now." Ron replied.

Hermione cracked her eyes open a tiny bit, allowing them to get used to the light. Two fuzzy shapes were on either side of her, one with black hair, the colour of midnight, and one with flaming fire red hair. She tried to lick her dry lips, but her mouth felt like it had been stuffed full of cotton. Moving her hand, she touched Harry's fingers.

"Harry?" her voice was hoarse. "Ron?"

"Hermione!" Both men leaned forward. Harry took up her hand tightly in his.

"What… what am I doing here?" she asked, feeling a little more alert. "What happened?"

Harry and Ron looked at each other. "Hermione… you…were kidnapped." Ron said slowly. "You don't remember any of it?"

Hermione was silent as she turned and looked first at Ron, then Harry. "Could I have some water please?" she asked.

"Sure." Harry released her hand and crossed the room. Hermione lay back as Ron took up her other hand in his. Harry came back to her bedside and handed her a glass. She gulped the water down greedily.

"Thanks, Harry." Her voice was stronger now. He set the glass on the table behind him and curved his fingers through hers.

"Do you remember anything?" Harry asked gently. When Ministry officials first alerted him that Hermione had come to the building dishevelled and bloody, they had told him when she woke up to try and get her to recall any and all details about her situation. "Anything at all?"

Hermione pulled her hand from Ron's and pressed it to her throat. A memory flashed through her mind of a silver knife blade up against the same spot her palm was now.

"Oh God…" Hermione whimpered as it all rushed back at her. "I…I was in an old house, with boarded up windows, in a locked room. I was tied to a bed….but I managed to pull loose because they didn't tie the knots properly."

Ron and Harry exchanged glances. "Hermione… do you remember who took you?" Ron asked carefully.

She shook her head. "No."

"You didn't recognise their voice or anything?" Harry asked.

Hermione appeared to be thinking hard, which Harry took as a good sign. "No." she finally answered. "I remember thinking that exact same thing when they first came in the room… but whoever it was must have read my mind, because they told me that their voice was disguised."

"Damn…" Harry swore softly.

"I'm sorry." Hermione replied, looking at him, tears forming in her eyes.

"No, Hermione." Harry instantly looked contrite. "I'm not angry at you."

Ron nodded. "It's amazing you can talk about it, without falling apart. You're really strong, Hermione."

Hermione felt a slight tug at her lips. "Thanks." She smiled through her tears. "You guys are the best." Her lower lip trembled as her eyes grew watery once more.

"Listen, I'm going to go get Neville and Dean." Ron said. "They wanted us to get them as soon as you woke up."

"All right." Hermione replied, lying her head back down again. Ron left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

"So…." Harry still had her hand in his. "How are you really feeling?"

Hermione shrugged. "Violated, for starters. I feel like I'm not safe anymore."

Harry nodded. "I can understand that." His head bowed low. "I feel like this is my fault."

"What?" Hermione stared at him. "How?"

"I should have said yes when you asked if you should come over." Harry replied.

Hermione reached over and covered his hand with her other one. "Harry… even if I had come over, maybe the person would have come after me another night… possibly with a different outcome. I don't blame you, not in the slightest." She managed a small smile. "Besides, it sounded like you've had a rough enough couple of days."

"You can say that again." Harry agreed, raking his hand through his coal black hair. He gave her a crooked grin. "I'm glad you're okay though. When I went to your place that next night and you weren't there I started to worry, but it wasn't until yesterday that I started really panicking." Harry was only half telling the truth- he almost completely freaked out when he couldn't find the woman he was in love with. The thought that he might not see her again tore at him until he had received word from the Ministry that Hermione was there.

"Thanks." Hermione said. At that moment Ron came back in the room with Neville, Dean and three other Ministry officials that neither Harry nor Hermione recognized.

With both her boys by her side, Hermione was able to painstakingly recount nearly every detail of what had happened to her. It brought her to tears a number of times to recall the knife; it had been the worst part of the whole nightmare.

"They brought it up against my throat…" Hermione said. "And then they cut me… right here…" she traced a finger along the faint mark that appeared on her otherwise unblemished skin.

Harry clenched his fists in rage; he wanted to kill whoever had done this. One glance at Ron told him that he felt the same way. Hermione swallowed a few times, the lump in her throat too large to speak past.

"Whoever it was, left the knots tied too loose, and I was able to work myself free." She began again. "I tried to apparate out, and I couldn't, they placed wards around the room. It was only when they came at me with the knife I knew I would have to do something…" A tear slipped down her face again and she brushed it away. "I ran outside and then apparated here."

Neville leaned forward. "Hermione, one more thing. Do you know of anyone who would want to do this?"

Hermione swallowed again and Harry reached over and grasped her hand. "Um… well… I don't know if she'd go this far but Millicent Bulstrode and I don't get along at all. I don't know if she hates me that much though." She thought some more. "Viktor Krum and I had some words that same evening too…."

"Krum?" Ron asked, his blue eyes darkening. It was no secret that there was no love lost between he and Krum; they often clashed on the Quidditch field. "What was that asshole doing with you?"

"He's been waiting for me outside work nearly every day the past few weeks." Hermione replied. "I finally lost my temper with him the other day."

Neville nodded at Dean. "We'll find out where he was that night. Ask about Bulstrode too." He said. Dean and one of the other Ministry officials scribbled the names down on their parchments.

"Is there anything else?" Hermione asked, suddenly feeling quite weak. "This… it's just really hard to talk about."

"No, that's enough for now, we may need to ask you things periodically until it's all over, but nothing like today." Neville leaned forward. "It was good of you to take us through all that."

Hermione nodded wordlessly as they all stood up. Images swirled through her head like a cyclone, making her knees feel like melted butter. Darkness rushed in from all sides as she fell backwards.

*** *** *** *** ***

Hermione found herself fighting against gravity as her eyelids did not seem to want to open. "Mmmphhh…" she mumbled and her hand was instantly seized by someone sitting at the side of her bed. "No!" Hermione tried to pull away. "No! Leave me alone!"

"Hermione!" a voice was bringing her into the light. "Hermione it's me!"

"Ron?" she finally opened her eyes and saw the concerned face of her red haired best friend. "Oh God, I'm sorry…"

"It's all right." Ron said soothingly as he pulled her into a gentle hug.

"I thought you… I mean I thought…" Hermione couldn't finish her sentence. "I'm so sorry Ron."

"It's all right, Hermione." Ron said again as she sat back and wiped at her eyes. "Do you need anything?"

"No… no I'm all right." She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down. "What am I doing here in Harry's room?" Hermione asked, looking around.

"Err…" Ron bit his lower lip. "Well… after you got done talking to Neville, you passed out. Harry caught you and brought you back to your place, but…" His voice trailed off.

"But what, Ron?" Hermione asked.

"It was messed up…" he confessed, eyeing her worriedly. "Someone trashed your entire flat. Harry told me to bring you on to his place while he stayed and fixed things up for you."

"How… how bad was it?" Hermione's voice wavered slightly.

Ron sighed. "Pretty bad, from what I could see." He reached forward and took her hand. "But Harry will fix it for you, he'd do anything for you."

"Yeah, I know." Hermione managed a small smile. "I'm glad you stayed with me."

Ron grinned. "Well I couldn't have my second favourite girl staying all alone, now could I?"

"Second favourite?" Hermione asked, her eyebrows raised.

"No offence Herms… but Nicole has taken over your number-one-female-in-Ron's-life spot." He was referring to his girlfriend of two and a half years, who was manager of his Quidditch team.

"Right, right." Hermione replied, her brown eyes sparking back to life. "How easily I can be replaced…" they both laughed and Ron gave her a tighter hug.

"Now THAT'S the Hermione I know." He gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"How long was I out for?" she asked, settling back on the pillows.

"A good few hours." Ron replied. "Harry's really concerned about you though,"

"He's sweet to care about me like that, when he's got enough of his own problems."

"Yeah, I heard about Liz." The corner of Ron's mouth turned down. "Has he said anything to you about it?"

"He called me that night, and we were supposed to get together for dinner the evening after." Hermione replied.

"Did he say anything else?" Ron leaned forward and Hermione looked at him curiously.

"No… why?"

"I'm back!" Harry was standing in the doorway. Hermione and Ron both looked up, Ron with a guilty look in his eyes. "Can I talk to you a moment?" Harry asked his male best friend.

Ron swallowed audibly but he gave Hermione a reassuring glance as he went in the hallway. Harry shut the door behind them and then crossed his arms over his chest, glaring menacingly.

"I didn't say anything to her!" Ron said before Harry could even utter a word.

"But you were going to." Harry countered. "I told you, this has nothing to do with you, just leave it be! I'm not going to trouble her with this right now."

"Fine." Ron held his hands up in surrender. "But you should tell her Harry. I don't think she'd be scared off by it."

"Just leave it be." Harry spoke each word slowly.

"What's going on?" Hermione had come to the door. "Did something else happen?"

Harry and Ron both turned to look at her and she was shocked by the bright, angry look in Harry's eyes. But a moment later, it had disappeared and was the same emerald colour they had always been.

"How are you feeling?" Harry immediately moved away from Ron and towards her.

"I'm doing all right." She answered. "What… did…. How was my flat?"

"I managed to fix most of your things." Harry said. "Do you want to go back yet, or rest up for awhile longer?"

"I should go back… I'll need to get on my feet sooner or later." Hermione said. Harry nodded at Ron and they all went outside and apparated to her flat.

With a trembling hand, Hermione opened the door and stepped inside, trying not to let her fear overwhelm her. Everywhere she looked, there seemed to be evidence of an intruder. Even her normally comfortable and cheery den looked cold and uninviting.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked her quietly as Ron moved further into the place.

"Yes." Hermione answered, leaning up against him. "No… I don't know… I just don't feel like it's my place anymore." She felt his arm go around her waist and was grateful for the support.

"It's all right." He leaned in and spoke softly in her ear. Hermione felt a warm shiver go through her body as his breath brushed her skin. "Ron and I aren't going to let anything happen to you."

She simply nodded and moved forward, heading automatically towards the bedroom. Opening the door, she blew out a breath she didn't even realise she had been holding.

Harry followed her in, staying near the door as she slowly ventured in, trying not to let panic overcome her as the memories of that night came back to her.

"Fucking bitch…" a voice came from the hallway as the person used one of their hands to unlock the door, then step inside. Hermione trembled violently; the person's head was covered with a baggy black mask that matched the rest of their clothing.

"Oh no…" Hermione swayed and Harry leapt forward to catch her. "I can't stay here Harry, I can't stay…."

"Shhhh…" Harry pulled her body up against his, his arms winding securely around her. "Hermione it's all right," his hand stroked her back soothingly through her hair. "You can come stay with me however long you need to."

"Really?" Hermione asked, wiping a few tears away. "No, Harry I can't impose on you like that."

"I insist." He brushed a stray lock of hair away from her face and for a moment she was drowning in his emerald eyes. He cleared his throat awkwardly and the moment passed. "Why don't you get what you need together and we can go back to my flat."

"All right." Hermione took a deep breath. "Will you…. Will you stay in here though? While I pack?"

"Sure." Harry agreed, unable to deny her anything. "Want some help?"

Hermione looked up and managed a tiny smile. "No, I just… didn't want to be alone."

"Understandable." Harry replied, leaning against the doorframe. His eyes followed her around the room as she quickly threw clothes and toiletries in a bag she had pulled from underneath her bed. He took the bag from her as she finished and they went back into the hallway.

"What's going on?" Ron asked, coming out of the kitchen.

"I…" Hermione looked at Harry, who was already glancing back at Ron. "I'm going to stay with Harry for awhile." She replied. "I just… don't want to stay alone."

"That's a good idea." Ron said before Harry could respond.

They all stood in the hallway a moment and then Harry shifted Hermione's bag to his other hand. "Well, let's get out of here then." He said. The three of them went back out of her flat and Hermione locked the door while Harry cast a spell so that no one could get in.

"Did you find your wand, Hermione?" Ron asked as Harry unlocked the door to his flat and ushered them inside.

"Yes," Hermione answered as Harry disappeared down the hall to deposit her bag in his guest room. "It was under my bed, where it rolled when I was trying to grab it that night." She put her hand to her forehead and instantly Harry was back down the hall and he and Ron were by her side. "I'm all right you two. Just a bit dizzy is all. I probably just need something to eat."

"I'll make you some dinner." Harry replied. "Ron, are you staying?"

"Wish I could." Ron said. "But I had to miss a game to be here and need to get back for practice." Ron was Keeper on the Chudley Cannons; he had improved on his game vastly since his days at Hogwarts.

"Ron I'm sorry." Hermione gasped. "You didn't have to miss a game for me!"

"Silly." Ron stepped forward and gave her a hug. "I'd miss the World Cup if you were gone then too."

"Thanks, Ron." Hermione felt her eyes grow teary again. He pulled back and shook Harry's hand while giving him a look.

Harry chose to ignore it. "Thanks for coming to help, Ron." He said gratefully. "I appreciate it."

"Anytime." Ron gave Hermione another quick hug.

"I'll walk you out." Harry said. "Hermione, I'll be right back."

"Sure." Hermione said, sitting down at his kitchen table.

When Harry had moved into his flat, he had placed apparition wards all around it so that no one could get in or out besides the front door. As he opened it for Ron, he took a quick look up and down the street.

"What are you looking for?" Ron asked as he stepped outside.

"Just looking…" Harry had been warned by Neville to watch his surroundings when Hermione was around, in case her kidnapper tried anything again.

"At least I know you'll keep a good eye on her." Ron said. "And think about telling her."

"Ron," Harry began, his voice a low warning tone.

"Just think about it Harry." Ron said. "If you ask me, the two of you have skirted around one another long enough." He apparated away before Harry could respond.

"Bloody bastard…" Harry grumbled as he went back inside after putting up his wards and locking his door.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked softly from where she still sat.

"Nothing," Harry answered quickly. Ron was crazy. He had absolutely no proof that Hermione felt the same way about him. "What would you like for dinner?"

"Oh," Hermione thought for a moment. "Anything's fine, really."

"How about stir fry?" Harry's kitchen was equipped like it was a Muggle kitchen; he found that all those years of cooking for the Dursleys was paying off as he made his own meals now.

"That sounds good." Hermione said. "Do you need any help?"

"Nope," Harry turned and grinned at her. "You just sit there, don't lift a finger."

"You're spoiling me, Harry." Hermione smiled back at him.

"You deserve it." Harry dug through his cabinets for a cutting board. He set it on the counter and then began to pull out various vegetables to chop up.

"At least let me set the table, then." Hermione said.

"If you insist." Harry replied as he set the freshly washed vegetables out on the counter. Hermione smiled again and moved to the drawer where she knew Harry kept his utensils. She carefully laid out the silverware, then plates and glasses.

"Anything else?" she asked, turning around. The smile immediately faded from her face.

Harry was pulling a large chopping knife from another drawer. He ran it across what looked like a stone a few times to sharpen it up.

It was the exact same knife that the kidnapper had used.

Hermione gulped and sat down hard in the chair, trying not to openly tremble. 'What do I do?' she wondered. Would Harry really do that to her? Harry, her best friend for over 10 years…. The knife made a crunching sound as he began to use it on the vegetables laid out on the counter.

"But I managed to do a nice number on the bed after she was gone." Harry's voice echoed through her head. Hermione knew that Harry's temper, when he allowed it to show, could be quite a horrifying thing.

Harry tossed all the vegetables and meat into the wok and within a few minutes had the meal ready in a serving dish. "Still hungry?" he turned around. Hermione was sitting with her arms wrapped around herself. "Are you cold?" he asked, bringing the dish over to the table.

"What?" Hermione jumped and looked up at him. "Oh… no… I just… was lost in thought." She didn't meet his eyes.

Harry knew something was wrong. "Oh," was all he said. He sat down and served both of them and they began to eat in silence. "How is it?" he asked after a few minutes.

Hermione jumped again. "What? Oh, it's fine, really delicious." She said.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked. "I can tell something is bothering you."

Hermione was afraid to look up at him, she knew if she looked at his eyes she would break down, and he would be able to what she had been thinking. 'What am I thinking???' Hermione was suddenly furious with herself. 'How could I think that Harry would do this?'

"Hermione…" he had set down his fork and reached across the table to cover her hand with his. "Tell me, please… what's wrong? Did I do something to upset you?"

She couldn't help it; Hermione raised her head and as soon as her tired brown eyes met his concerned green ones, she burst into tears.

"Oh Harry!" she sobbed, "I'm sorry!" Hermione buried her face in her hands.

"Hermione…" Harry got up and moved into the chair next to her, taking her quickly into his arms. "Shhhh….just calm down…." He stroked her hair in a soothing manner much like he had earlier that day. "What's wrong, you can tell me, you know that right?"

She nodded, then pulled away to look up at him. "I just… I told you how the kidnapper had the knife…" her gaze wandered over to the counter where the chopping knife still laid. "It looked just like that one… and… my imagination just started to go out of control…" Hermione couldn't finish the rest of her sentence.

"You… you thought I had something to do with that?" Harry's voice shook slightly in hurt.

"No… not… not really," Hermione wiped away at her tears. "It's just… it made me think of what happened all over again." Her fingers pressed at the spot on her neck where the knife had been held. "I'm sorry, Harry I don't think you did anything I know you wouldn't do anything like that!"

Harry looked at her and felt something in his stomach clench. "It's all right, Hermione." He said quietly. One look at her could tell she barely even knew what she was saying, and because of that he felt the hurt melt away. "Come here." He pulled her back into his embrace and this time he felt her arms wind around his waist. "I'm not mad."

"Really?" Her voice was muffled because her face was pressed against his chest. She suddenly felt his lips in her hair and his hands moving softly over her backside. It was suddenly the only place she wanted to be.

A figure stood outside, across the small backyard behind Harry's flat. Raising their fist, they cracked the knuckles on each hand before dropping them back to their sides.

"It's not over yet, Hermione." A sinister smile spread across their face. "It's pretty fucking far from over."

A/N: I hope you all liked this chapter… I'll try and have the next one posted soon… but first I'm going to work on a new chapter of Shadows -no, I haven't forgotten about that story - and I also have some Caitlyn/Blue fluff headed your way as well. R/R!