Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dark Betrayal by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dark Betrayal

Heaven

A/N: Thank you EVERYONE for all your reviews, they all mean so much to me, and I'm happy to see that you all like this story! There's only one chapter left, to tie up loose ends and such ;)

Special thanks to: Nicole, the Queen of Ron for her quick beta skills and help during my block while trying to finish this up.

And a note: Several people seemed confused about the kidnapper- there is only one kidnapper… I used they/their so that the person would remain genderless until you guys find out who it is… my grammatical skills are not up to par, and I apologize for the confusion.

Anyways, I'll let you all read now :) Don't forget to review when you're done! :D

"And so I'll come and pick you up for lunch if you like, then again this evening." Harry was saying as they walked quickly down the street.

"You don't have to do all this, Harry." Hermione said with a slight smile. "Don't change your plans for me."

"Too late." Harry replied as they entered the building where Cho's company was located. He escorted her into the lift and they began to rise to the top floor.

"I'm nervous." Hermione said after a few moments of silence.

"What for?" Harry asked softly.

"Just…I wonder what everyone thinks." Hermione said. "If they believe me or not."

"Of course they all do." Harry answered. "Hermione, no one blames you for what happened okay? We blame the person who did this."

Hermione sighed and leaned forward to hug him. "You're the best Harry. I don't know what I would do without you right now."

Harry smiled into her hair and closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her light perfume. He heard a ding and pulled back as the doors to the lift opened into the lobby of Cho's office.

"Hermione!" a general cry rose as the two of them stepped out of the lift.

"Hello, hi…" Hermione said, her eyes growing wide. She unconsciously moved closer to Harry and somehow their hands found one another. Faces rushed at her and she tried to smile.

"Hermione we were so worried when we heard about you."

"Hermione did they catch the person yet?"

"How are you holding up, Hermione?" Cho Chang stepped out of her office. "Hello Harry."

"Hi Cho." He answered, still holding onto Hermione's hand. He saw Cho's eyes travel briefly to it and then back up to smile at the two of them.

"I'm all right." Hermione brushed a strand of hair off her face.

"Come on." Cho motioned towards the hallway where Hermione's office was. "Everyone, back to work!" she ordered.

Harry and Hermione followed Cho down the hall, and she shut the door behind them. "Cho, I can't stay I'm afraid." Harry had not sat down next to Hermione.

"Do you have to go so soon?" Hermione asked immediately. The thought of Harry leaving frightened her, he was like a security blanket.

"I'm sorry, Hermione." Harry looked apologetic. "But I'll be back to pick you up this evening, I promise." He leaned down and kissed her quickly on the cheek. "Bye Cho, it was nice seeing you again."

"You too Harry." Her eyes followed Harry out the door and then settled back on Hermione. "I was worried when I heard about you."

"Thanks, Cho." Hermione replied.

"I just wanted you to know, if you needed help with anything, just know that you can come talk to me." Cho sat down next to Hermione, her eyes warm. "You're a good employee, and I also think of you as a friend."

"I appreciate it." Hermione replied, smiling back at her. "I'd better get to work though, I want to get back into things and just….forget about what happened."

"I understand." Cho stood back up and went to the door, then turned to look at her. "You're lucky to have Harry."

"What do you mean?" Hermione had stood up as well and was placing her bag on her desk, opening it to retrieve some papers.

Cho smiled. "You're lucky to have a friend like him who would care that much about you to walk you to and from work, and offer to let you stay with him."

"Yes, I am." Hermione replied, gazing out the window for a moment as if she could see Harry standing right there. "He's good to me."

The two women were silent for a moment. "Well," Cho finally said. "I'll let you get back to it. You can come by my office should you need anything."

"Thanks, Cho." Hermione smiled again and sat down. She looked at her desk for a few long minutes, trying to compose her thoughts. She was about to get up and grab some books from her shelves when a figure appeared in her doorway.

"Hermione!" Ernie Macmillan rushed into the room and pulled her into a hug. "Hermione I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Hi Ernie," Hermione managed. "Thanks."

"Everyone was so worried about you," Ernie pulled back and looked her up and down. "Were you hurt?"

"No, no not really." Hermione replied. "I was lucky enough to escape before….before anything like that could happen."

"Good." Ernie replied, straightening out his dark blue work robes. "Listen, you may find some notes and work to do that we piled on your desk before we realised you were… missing… but you don't have to do any of it if you don't want to."

"Oh no, I'll be happy to." Hermione said, a slight smile crossing her face. "Anything you want to pass my way, please do."

"All right," Ernie grinned then. "Well, if you want to take a break, or do lunch later… just stop by my office."

"Thanks, Ernie." Hermione smiled fully up at him. "You're a good friend."

Ernie grinned and then left her alone once more. Hermione looked down and began shuffling through the stack that he had mentioned. Despite the attack on her, she began to feel very lucky to be surrounded by friends who cared about her.

Meanwhile, Harry had arrived at the Ministry of Magic and was heading down the corridor to Neville's office.

"Hi Harry." Neville didn't look up as he entered the room. "No luck yet on Krum."

Harry froze for a moment and then dropped his cloak in a chair. "Damn it."

"We picked up Pansy Parkinson though." Neville finally looked up and grinned. "I'll be damned if she didn't put up a fight though."

"I'll bet she did." Harry returned the smirk. "Who got her?"

"Dean." Neville replied, shuffling his papers and tossing them in a drawer. "Shall we? I've been looking forward to this all morning."

Harry laughed as they left the office. Neville had really changed from his early Hogwarts days, by their 5th year he had become more outspoken and had developed quite a backbone for himself as well. He had also proved to be an extremely loyal and trustworthy friend, and Harry felt he was lucky to know Neville.

"He's been holding her in here for about an hour." Neville was saying as they strode down the hallway. "Can't you hear her shrieking?" Harry cocked his head and sure enough, he could hear a shrill voice screaming at the top of her lungs.

"Let me the fuck out of here!" Those were the words that greeted Neville and Harry as they opened the door. Pansy Parkinson turned her pug nosed face to them and her eyes widened. "What is going on here? What right do you have to bring me in here? You just wait until I tell someone about this; you'll ALL be in trouble!"

"Knock it off, Parkinson." Neville replied, shutting the door behind them. "We just have a few questions to ask you."

"You had better make it fast!" Pansy huffed. "I'm supposed to be at work."

"Relax." Harry spoke up. "Cho knows where you are and why you're here."

Pansy nearly flew up and out of her seat. "I DON'T EVEN BLOODY KNOW WHY I'M HERE!"

"You're here because you were one of the last people to see Hermione Granger the night she was kidnapped." Dean said flatly.

"What?" Pansy looked shocked. "I had nothing to do with that!" her face grew red in anger.

"You were seen going back into the building and then Hermione said she talked to you before she left." Harry said tightly. "Why were you there?"

"For one thing, Potter, I WORK there, I have every right to be at the office." Pansy replied. "For another thing, I forgot something and had to go back, otherwise I wouldn't have even seen that bitch."

"Watch what you say about her, Pansy," Harry's eyes were blazing. "You could be in enough trouble already."

"Harry." Neville placed a restraining hand on his arm. "Pansy, why did you go back that evening?"

"I forgot something in my desk." Pansy spat.

"What was it?" Neville asked patiently.

"A bloody nail file!" Pansy nearly started shrieking again.

"You went back for a nail file?" Dean asked disbelievingly.

"Yes, Thomas, I did." Pansy snapped. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Where did you go afterwards?" Harry asked. "Did you follow her home, or arrange for someone else to do it?"

"I TOLD you Potter, I had NOTHING to do with her situation!" Pansy screamed. "I have better things to do with my time."

"Which are?" Neville asked after giving Harry another warning glance.

"I don't have to tell you a damn thing." Pansy lifted her nose in the air and turned away.

"You do if you want to stay out of trouble." Dean said, his arms crossed over his chest.

Pansy glared defiantly at the three men for a moment. "Fine." She relented. "Iwaswthcrbeadgyl." She muttered.

"What?" Harry nearly barked.

"I SAID," Pansy glared back at him. "I WAS WITH CRABBE AND GOYLE!"

Harry felt his jaw go slack, and one glance at Neville and Dean told him that they were as shocked as he was. "You were with both Crabbe and Goyle?"

"Yes, I was with both Crabbe and Goyle." Pansy said, her tone mocking.

"At… the same time?" Harry couldn't help asking.

Pansy smirked. "Why do you want to know? I didn't think you went for that sort of thing, Potter."

Harry turned away, disgusted. "You make me sick, Parkinson."

Neville grabbed Harry by the elbow. "Perhaps you should wait outside." He said, steering him towards the door. "I don't think we'll get anything out of her," Neville paused at his words and made a face. "…while you're in here."

Harry glared back at Pansy. "Fine, I'll be right outside." He left the room and stood leaning against the wall in the corridor, his arms crossed over his chest. After about five minutes, the door opened and Pansy came flouncing out, sending him a death glare as she pushed past him.

"What's going on?" Harry strode back into the room. "Where is she going?"

"She's clear." Neville replied, his tone slightly dejected. "She was with… Crabbe and Goyle at the Leaky Cauldron for part of the night… later…."

"I get it." Harry interrupted, not wanting to know any more. "Dammit!"

"I know." Dean replied. "We're still waiting on Krum though; we haven't been able to track him down."

"What's the problem?" Harry asked.

"Travelling Quidditch players aren't the easiest people to be in contact with." Neville said.

"Good point." Harry sat down. "Perhaps I can owl Ron and have him send me a schedule, it's bound to have Bulgaria on there."

"That would help a lot." Dean answered as the three men left the room. Harry looked at his watch.

"I'll go do that now, and then I'm going over to see if Hermione wants me to take her to lunch." Harry waved and headed off down to the Owlery to send Ron a note. After he had sent a tawny one on its way, he left the Ministry building and headed back to Diagon Alley where Cho's company was located.

Hermione was deeply absorbed in her work when a knock at her door startled her. "Harry!" a smile stretched across her face.

"Hey," Harry came in her office. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Hermione set down her papers. "Everyone was nice enough to pile a stack of things on my desk." They both laughed.

"Good." Harry sat down in the chair next to the door. "Would you like to go grab some lunch with me?"

"You're spoiling me," Hermione said. "Harry, you don't have to keep doing this, it must be such a bother."

"Nonsense." Harry replied. "I came because I enjoy spending time with you and I want to make sure you stay safe."

Hermione looked at him, a small smile growing. He was so sweet to care about her, and she had to admit, it was nice having someone with her all the time. "All right then," she said. "But I insist you let me pay."

Harry heaved a mock sigh as she stood up and grabbed her cloak. "I suppose," he said, his mouth twitching.

"Good." Hermione said, smiling as he helped her settle the cloak on her shoulders. She took his arm and they left the office after Hermione told Cho where she was going.

"So where are you taking me?" Harry teased as they left the building, the overcast day making it cool outside.

"I don't know - wherever you want…" Hermione's voice trailed off, the smile disappearing from her face.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, noticing her change in demeanour.

"I… I don't know… I just suddenly felt like I was being watched." Hermione pulled her hand from Harry's arm and hugged herself.

His eyes immediately began scanning the street, looking for anyone suspicious. "I don't… I don't see anyone," he said after a few moments. He looked back at Hermione and felt something tug at his heart; there were tears in her large brown eyes and her lower lip was trembling.

"I can't explain it…" she shivered, trying not to let the tears fall.

"Come on." Harry put his arm around her and guided down the street. "Let's just go back home, all right? I'll make you something there."

"Okay," Hermione wiped her eyes, too scared to argue. The feeling lingered even after they had arrived back at the flat and he was making her some tea.

"Feeling better?" he asked, setting the mug in front of her.

"A little," Hermione answered as fresh tears came to her eyes. "I feel like such a bloody mess. There probably wasn't even anyone on the street just now; I was probably just imagining things. I don't know how you can put up with me."

"Hermione," Harry sat down in the chair next to her. "I don't think you're a mess. You've been through an awful lot over this past week, and your mind is just trying to deal with it. If you felt someone watching you on the street…" his voice trailed off for a moment. "Then there probably was. And that's why I'm here; to make sure nothing happens to you again."

"Thank you Harry," Hermione's voice was muffled because she had turned and thrown her arms around him. She could feel his hands travel up his back and settle in her hair, stroking the strands gently and soothingly. "So… so did you have any luck finding Viktor? What about Pansy, I noticed she wasn't in the office today," she said a little while later after calming down.

"Well," Harry began, noting that she didn't pull out of his embrace. "We haven't tracked Viktor down yet, but I owled Ron to get a Quidditch schedule so that we can find him. And Pansy… well… unfortunately she had an alibi for that night, so it's not her."

"I know she hates me but I didn't think she was capable of doing this." Hermione said, taking a deep breath. 'When did Harry begin to smell so good?' she pondered, and immediately squelched the thought into the back of her mind. 'This is not the time to be thinking of things like that!' she told herself sternly.

"Are you all right now?" Harry asked a few minutes later, regretfully breaking away from her. He brushed away at a few stray tears still on her face as she nodded.

"I think so," she answered, looking up at him. Their eyes met and locked for a few moments, her breath becoming shallow, silent gasps at the intensity of his gaze. Hermione could swear he was leaning forward, and found herself tilting her head back in expectation.

Harry felt his head spin as he looked down at her half closed eyes, her face up as if she wanted him to kiss her. He was about to go and do what he had been wanting for a long time now when he suddenly came to his senses. She didn't want to kiss him; he knew Hermione had no feelings of the romantic sort for him. Why would he go and try to spoil that? "I should make you something to eat." Harry said as he pulled himself away.

"What?" Hermione was startled as he pulled away. "Oh… uh… sure…" she stammered, looking the other way as her face burned brightly. "I just need to go use the loo…" She splashed clear water on her face and stared at herself in the mirror. "What were you about to do in there?" she asked her reflection. "You don't have any feelings for Harry like that and what would make you think that he's interested in you romantically?" Hermione sighed and rested her face against the cool mirror. "So then why do I feel so disappointed that he didn't kiss me?" She sat down on the toilet and buried her face in her hands. "Did I want him to?"

"Hermione?" his voice came from the doorway. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." She forced a smile onto her face. "Just tired, you know."

"I made you a sandwich if you're still hungry." Harry gestured back at his kitchen. "I'll take you back to work again afterwards if you like as well." His green eyes looked repentant and Hermione nearly flung herself in his arms again.

"Thank you." She answered, and they were staring at each other again. "Harry…look… I'm sorry about before, you know, in the kitchen." She twisted a lock of hair around her index finger.

"It's all right." He answered quickly. "Just one of those moments."

"Right." She answered just as quickly. They went back into the kitchen and ate their lunch in relative silence.

*** One Week Later***

Hermione sat munching on some toast while reading the Daily Prophet. She looked up and smiled as Harry shuffled into the kitchen, his hair even more mussed than usual. He headed straight for the coffee and poured himself a cup.

"Morning," he mumbled. "Sorry I didn't get in until late last night." He sat down at the table. "I didn't mean for you to worry."

Hermione smiled. "It's all right." She answered. He grinned back and her heart flopped over a few times. Over the past week since their 'almost kiss' Hermione had found herself thinking of her best friend more often than not. He hadn't mentioned it since it happened, and everything had gone back to the way it had been before… except now she had all the feelings and didn't know what to do about them.

"I've got good news for you," Harry's eyes were now twinkling.

"Oh?" Hermione set the paper down. "What's that?"

Harry leaned forward, and Hermione caught her breath. "We got Krum."

Hermione gasped, a smile spreading across her face. "Really?"

Harry sat back, a satisfied smile on his face. "Yes, really, and finally!" he said. "The Ministry caught up to him in Ireland."

"That's wonderful," Hermione said, a feeling of relief spreading over her. When Harry had told her that they were having trouble tracking down Viktor Krum, it had caused her to grow increasingly fearful that she would see him lurking down alleyways or in the shadows, waiting to jump out at her.

"He's at the Ministry, I just got the owl," Harry was saying. "They're going to interrogate him today, so I'm assuming by the end of the day that we'll have all the evidence we need."

"Good," Hermione replied. He reached across the table and squeezed her hand while he drained the rest of his coffee. "I've got to get ready."

"Me too." Hermione took his mug and placed both of them in the sink. They went down the hallway and she disappeared into the guest room while he ducked into the loo. As he scrubbed shampoo into his hair, he thought about how if everything turned out as planned, Viktor would be convicted later that day, and then…

"Hermione will be leaving," he said aloud. It had been wonderful having her around that past week, especially after his huge break up with Liz. She had been his comfort source in everything, and he had jumped at the chance to reciprocate. The only unfortunate thing was that he hadn't been able to bring himself to confess his feelings for her.

"Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be." Harry shut the water off and wrapped a towel around his waist, using another one to dry off his hair.

In the other bathroom, Hermione was having similar thoughts as she used her wand to dry her long locks. "I don't want to leave," she said softly to herself. "It's been so nice being here with Harry." And that was without thinking about her newfound feelings for her green eyed best friend. She wrapped the towel more firmly around herself and left the guest bathroom, only to run into Harry in the hallway.

He was also only clad in a towel.

"Erm…" Hermione couldn't for the life of her force her brain to work. "I uh…" she couldn't take her eyes off his waist where his towel was starting to slip.

"Yeah." Harry replied, unable to stop looking at the display of her creamy coloured flesh that was showing. "Me either." He hitched the towel up and ran his other hand through his hair, making it spike.

"I um," Hermione's eyes grew wider as his towel slipped again. "Towel… dressed… yes!" She turned, her face flaming, and sped down the hallway into the guest room.

Harry watched her go; half wishing her towel would fall and was only half relieved when the door shut behind her. He banged his forehead against the wall, letting the dull thud echo.

Hermione was still thinking of the incident many hours later as she tried to concentrate on her work. Her life had become so complicated, so confusing, that she couldn't even do her job anymore.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with me?" Hermione rubbed at her eyes. "Getting all sappy over a guy."

"Are you all right, Hermione?" Ernie Macmillan was passing by her office.

"What?" Hermione jumped. "Oh, yes, Ernie I'm fine. Just a bit tired is all."

Ernie nodded sympathetically. "Any news on Viktor?"

"Actually, yes, Harry found out this morning that they're holding him over at the Ministry." Hermione replied, a small smile quirking at her lips. "I really hope this will all be resolved."

"So do I." Ernie replied. Cho suddenly appeared at his elbow.

"Ernie, back to work." She said and Ernie jumped and mock saluted her.

"Yes ma'am." He said in a smart aleck tone that made Hermione laugh. He grinned back at her and Cho gave him a dirty look. He skipped off down the hall and then she turned and rolled her eyes at Hermione.

"He's such a goof." Cho said. "I heard they caught Krum finally."

"Yes," Hermione was pleased. "It'll be nice to walk down the street now and not feel like I've got someone watching me."

"I suppose it would, yes." Cho said with a slight smile on her face. "You're leaving Harry's place?"

"Most likely," Hermione replied, looking down at her papers so that Cho wouldn't see the sudden disappointed look flood her face. She didn't want to leave the safe comfort of Harry's flat; in the short time she'd been there it was more like home than her own place could ever be.

Harry stood against the wall with his arms crossed. He was glaring at Viktor Krum who was sitting at the table in the centre of the room with the surliest expression Harry had ever seen him wear.

"I vos not stalking Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor was glaring at Neville.

"Then why don't you tell us where you were that night?" Neville shot back, unflinching.

"I don't haff to tell you anything." Viktor replied. "But I asked Hermy-own-ninny for dinner and then I did not see her."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "You have been stalking her for awhile now, Krum." His voice was tight. "And now you don't have an alibi for where you were the night she was taken. That sounds awfully fishy to me." He couldn't believe that he had once been intimidated by this man; it seemed like a lifetime ago.

"I told you, I don't haff to say anything." Viktor was being stubborn.

"We found you in her FLAT!" Neville suddenly roared. "That means you're obviously able to break down anti apparition and other security spells."

"I vos waiting for Hermy-own-ninny to come back from work so that we could talk," Viktor replied.

Harry felt his jaw drop. "He was waiting in her flat?" he asked Neville.

"We weren't going to tell you that until later, Harry," Neville replied in a low voice. "Just keep it down; we don't need another outburst like with Pansy, all right?"

Harry nodded, but inside he was seething. He wanted to rip off Krum's head and feed it to a hippogriff, he was so angry. In Hermione's home, waiting for her to get back from work, waiting to try his hand once more at killing her.

"I want you to tell me where you were the night she disappeared." Neville said in a cold, firm voice. "Either that or…."

Viktor crossed his arms and simply glared back. "I… am… not… talking…"

An hour later, Neville, Dean and Harry had still been unable to get anything out of him. They weren't allowed to keep him contained, but had released him to his Quidditch team manager until he was to be put on trial, and was warned to stay in or near Diagon Alley.

Harry felt considerably lighter as he practically skipped out of the Ministry and towards his flat. He had owled Hermione around six and asked her to have Ernie or Cho escort her back to his place so that he could stay and help Neville.

"Hermione?" he called as he let himself into his flat. "Are you home yet?"

"I'm in the kitchen!" he heard her voice. Harry rushed into the room and grabbed her around the waist, spinning her into a wide circle.

"We've got him!" he grinned, still holding her tightly around the waist. He would tell her later about Krum being caught in her flat.

Hermione gasped. "Really?" She flung her arms back around his neck. "Oh that's wonderful, Harry!" On impulse she turned her face and kissed him on the cheek, immediately blushing afterwards.

"So anyways," Harry said, also turning red. "I thought we could go out tonight and celebrate somewhere."

"Sure!" Hermione agreed instantly.

"Great!" Harry grinned at her again with his lopsided smile that now never failed to make her heart thump faster. "I know of a place, it's down right off Diagon Alley. I haven't been there yet but I've heard lots of good things about it."

"What's it called?" Hermione asked, realising that his arms were still circled firmly around her waist.

"The Succubus Stop." Harry replied. "I think it's better than the name." he said and Hermione laughed.

"I certainly hope so. What should I wear?"

"Not casual, I hear it's a nice place." Harry replied.

"All right," Hermione agreed, a warm tingle spreading over her body. "I'll be ready soon, then." Harry grinned at her once more and she left the kitchen before her knees could give out on her.

Hermione ran a spell through her curls so that they went smooth, and then twisted her hair back into a bun that rested at her nape. Hunting through the clothes she had thrown into her bag when packing to stay at Harry's, she found a cashmere sleeveless top with a matching skirt. Deeming it perfect, she slipped it on carefully and put some light makeup on her eyes and lips.

"Relax, Hermione," she told her reflection. "This isn't a date, this isn't going to be romantic; it's just a celebration."

Across the hall and down one door, Harry was telling himself the same thing. He ran his hand through his ever messy hair and smoothed down his black dress trousers. "I hope I look all right." He said to himself.

"You look nice." A voice said at the doorway. Harry spun around to face an embarrassed Hermione.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Oh," Harry was at a loss for words as he looked at her. "No, you didn't… you look great too."

"Thanks." She looked down at her feet for a moment then back up at him. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah," he answered, grabbing his cloak from a chair. Helping Hermione into her own cloak, he let his fingers brush her bare skin, sending an electric tingle through both of them. They left the apartment in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Once outside, Hermione reached and took Harry's hand in hers, and they smiled at one another and walked towards Diagon Alley.

They were too far away to hear a low growl come from the bushes by the side of Harry's flat. A figure stepped out of the shrubbery and began to follow the couple, staying at a pace far back enough so that they wouldn't see him. They narrowed their eyes whenever either Harry or Hermione would laugh, and a sneer came to their lips whenever Harry or Hermione's clasped hands came into view.

"Better enjoy your time with her now, Potter." They said angrily under their breath. "It won't be that way forever." The figure continued to follow the twosome until they came to the Succubus Stop and disappeared inside.

"Table for two, please." Harry said to the wizard waiting at the door. He bowed slightly and took their cloaks, then led them to a table near the back of the dimly lit restaurant. "Bloody hell," he muttered to himself. "I had no idea it would be this sort of atmosphere." He apologized to Hermione once they had sat down.

"Oh it's all right." Hermione replied. "It's nice, and quiet actually."

Harry smiled. "Good." They were handed menus and decided on a few dishes to share along with a bottle of red wine.

"What shall we drink to?" Hermione asked after the Merlot had been poured in two goblets.

"How about that you're now safe and sound," Harry replied.

"Definitely to that," Hermione said with a smile. She sipped at her wine, enjoying the way the taste rolled back over her tongue and down her throat. Setting down her glass, she noticed that Harry was looking at her. "What?" Hermione asked, a bit self conscious.

"Nothing," Harry averted his gaze, embarrassed at being caught. "I just… I think you look really nice tonight." He fumbled around for words. "I know I told you before, but…"

"Thank you, Harry." Hermione's cheeks took on a pink tinge. They both looked intently away from one another. The restaurant seemed to be clearing out, the unused tables sweeping back against the wall, and the entranceway was now a bar.

"Excuse me," Harry signalled to their waiter. "Are you closing up?"

"No sir." The waiter seemed excited. "This place turns into a nightclub at about nine."

"Really," Harry was surprised. He looked over at Hermione. "Sorry, I thought that this was just a restaurant."

"Oh, it's all right." Hermione actually felt relieved, she wouldn't have to just sit and stare at Harry in silence all night. Their meal came soon after that and the two of them ate quickly.

After Harry and Hermione finished dinner, they moved from their table to a spot at the bar. "What'll you have?" Harry asked as they sat down.

"Hmmm…." Hermione thought for a moment. "I'll have some FireWhisky."

"You want Ogden's?" Harry was surprised. "It packs a punch, you know."

"I know." Hermione replied, giving him a coy smile. "But I'd like to really, really celebrate tonight."

"All right." Harry agreed, grinning. He flagged down the bartender and soon enough they were set up with a bottle of Ogden's Best and two shot glasses. "Ready?" he asked after filling both of them. He threw his head back and gulped the whisky down, enjoying the feeling of it going down his throat. "Hermione, you're behind now," he filled himself another shot.

"Bugger off Harry I've never done shots before." She replied. Tipping the glass back and swallowing the contents, she began to cough. "Bloody…. Awful…." She gasped.

"Have a few more." Harry replied with a rather evil but charming smile. He poured her another shot. Hermione looked at him cautiously before tossing it back.

"Oooh," she suddenly grinned. "That one wasn't so bad!"

"They get better as you go." Harry replied, the room starting to spin around him. He was already on his fourth shot, and Ogden's was working its magic fast on his bloodstream.

"Yes they do," Hermione replied, giggling girlishly now. "I'm going to drink more than you!"

"Oh I don't think so!" Harry said. He quickly grabbed the bottle away from a squealing Hermione. He gave her a lopsided grin as he poured two more shots.

"Sod off!" Hermione said, still giggling. Harry couldn't help laughing as well as she downed the shot in effort to catch up. He was hard pressed to keep from reaching out and taking her in his arms; it was even more of an effort to refrain from just snogging her senseless at that moment.

"Harry now I'm ahead of you!" she said now, laughing harder. "Catch up or pay the consequences!"

"What might those consequences be, Ms. Granger?" Harry leaned close and watched in satisfaction as her eyes widened. "I'm very interested in knowing what I would have to do should I not catch up."

"Wouldn't you like to know," Hermione replied pertly. She looked back up at him, trying not to wobble and fall off the stool. "I can beat you at this."

"At what?" Harry asked, amused.

"Staring contest," She said, not looking as she filled up another shot. "Or have you forgotten how many times I beat Ron at this?"

"How could I forget anything you do?" Harry asked quietly.

"Wha… what do you mean?" Hermione asked nervously. Harry opened his mouth to answer, but shut it with a snap as he looked over his shoulder. "What is it… oh." She turned to see what he was looking at.

"What the fuck is she doing here?" Harry muttered as his ex came in the door, new man hanging onto her arm. Liz looked no worse for wear, and Harry instantly sobered somewhat upon seeing her.

Hermione could feel her lip curling in a slight sneer as the other woman strode through the nightclub as if she owned it. Her long blue-black hair was curled, her makeup perfectly applied, and her slinky black dress falling off her shoulders. Glancing back at Harry, she could see that he was angry.

"Harry," she said in a low voice, putting a hand on his arm. "Do you want to leave?"

"No." Harry said flatly, his jaw set. "I refuse to leave just because she's here." He felt himself visibly relax as his eyes rested on Hermione's face.

"That's good, Harry." Hermione was encouraging. "Just act like she's not here."

He nodded, still a bit tense. Grabbing the bottle of Ogden's, he poured the rest of it into the two shot glasses. "Let's finish this up." They both tossed back the shots and dropped the glasses next to the bottle. Harry was pleased that the room still was swirling around them as he tried to stay up upon the bar stool. "Come on," he snorted with laughter again as he pulled on Hermione's hands. "I want to dance."

"What?" Hermione asked, giggling again as well. "You just want to make her jealous," she jerked her head in Liz's direction.

Harry feigned a look of hurt. "That's not true!" he said, stumbling backwards as she fell against him. "Ow," they both began laughing again. "Hermione you're- "

"Don't you dare say I'm heavy, Harry James Potter!" Hermione wagged a finger at him, still collapsed against his chest.

"I was going to say light as a feather," he smirked at her. "Come on, I want to dance!"

"I thought you couldn't dance." Hermione replied, letting him tug her out to the floor.

"I can't." Harry snickered. "But this isn't really dancing, is it?" he motioned to the other people grinding up against one another. She grinned up at him and then wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her body tightly against his.

"Hey, I like this," he grinned as he wound his arms around her waist. They began to move together to the music that was pounding out of the walls, oblivious now to the jealous glares coming from Liz. "This isn't so bad!" Harry said after a few minutes.

"No it's not," Hermione replied, moving closer and burying her face in his neck. He smelled wonderful, she realised as she brought her fingers up and pushed them into the hair at his nape.

Harry felt a shiver go up his spine as he felt Hermione's fingers in his hair. Smiling slightly, he bent forward so that his face was pressed against her locks, his lips moving slightly. Lord, he wanted her so bad right then it literally took all his drunken self control not to do anything.

The music changed and Hermione pulled reluctantly away. They looked at one another for several long, tense moments as the rest of the crowd continued to dance around them. Oblivious to the glaring stare of Harry's ex, they sank back into each other's arms and just swayed, completely out of time to the music. Neither of them noticed Liz steer her man of the hour in their direction until she purposefully bumped into Harry.

"What a surprise," Liz's voice was scornful as she looked Hermione up and down. "Here without a date are we Harry?"

"No," Harry replied, trying to keep his cool. "But I don't know if that's any business of yours anymore."

"Well don't be silly," Liz suddenly turned coy and ran her hand up his arm. "I can tell that you miss me."

Harry jerked away as if her touch burned him. Hermione took his hand in hers, glaring at Liz all the while. "He doesn't need pity for a date." She replied, her voice as cold as ice. "Plus he's not paying me for company."

Liz's jaw dropped at Hermione's insinuation. "What are you implying, Hermione?" her tone was mocking.

"I'm implying that you're an idiot to leave Harry, especially in the manner that you did, and to come up to him now and act as if everything is all right makes you a pathetic excuse for a witch." Hermione replied heatedly. Liz's jaw worked up and down but no sounds came out.

"Come on," Harry suddenly spoke up. "We don't need to reduce ourselves to this." He cast a glare at Liz, and then slipped an arm around Hermione's waist as they walked away. Wordlessly, they retrieved their cloaks and left the nightclub.

"I'm sorry about that," Harry said once they were some distance away. "I… I wasn't prepared to face her so soon."

"Do… do you still have… feelings for her?" Hermione asked, feeling strangely short of breath.

Harry turned and gave her a half smile. "Funnily enough, not really." He sighed, looking straight ahead again. "I mean, sure, at first I was extremely hurt, but then I was so worried about you that it just didn't seem to matter." His hand came out from under his cloak and found hers. "And then once you came to stay with me….it all faded even more."

Hermione squeezed his fingers gently. "I'm glad," she replied. "I was beginning to feel useless around there, letting you do everything." They both laughed softly as they went up the steps and into Harry's flat.

"It's still rather early," Harry said as they hung their cloaks up. "How about I start a fire and we have some hot chocolate?"

"Water might be good too," Hermione said. "I have a feeling our heads will be aching soon enough."

"You take care of that and I'll take care of the fire." Harry said. "Deal?"

"Deal!" Hermione replied, heading for the kitchen. Harry watched her walk away, and then headed into the living room where in just a few moments he had a cheery fire blazing.

"I see you've fulfilled your part of the bargain." Hermione said, levitating a tray with two mugs and two bottles of water. "And here is mine."

"Just what the doctor ordered." Harry grinned as he spread a soft Gryffindor coloured blanket out on the floor. He sat down and patted the spot next to him.

"This skirt isn't the best thing in the world to lounge around in." Hermione pulled it up over her knees. "That's better."

Harry gulped as her legs became visible. He turned back to look at the fire, pushing up on the sleeves of his shirt.

"So…" Hermione said after she'd taken a sip of her chocolate. "Why do you think she came up to you like that?"

Harry shrugged and snorted. "I don't know. I don't even think I know who she is anymore." He pushed up on his glasses. "I should have seen that she was becoming distant over the past month or two, but I was blind. I thought I loved Liz."

Hermione sighed. "Do you think you could ever forgive her?"

"I don't care about her anymore." Harry said, his glasses reflecting the fire and making it hard for Hermione to read his eyes. "It's over with; I don't even want to see her again."

"Well, she's a moron." Hermione said. "I mean, if she could leave a great guy like you for someone else, there's got to be something wrong with her."

Harry made a sound in his throat and turned to her. "You think I'm a great guy?"

Hermione felt her face flame. "Well… yeah… you're like an ideal boyfriend Harry, the way you dote on a woman." She put her hand on his arm. "I saw how you treated her when you were together, like she was the only woman in the universe."

"Well if I'm so good to them then why don't any of them stay with me?" Harry asked, looking straight ahead.

"I don't know." Hermione sighed and looked back at the fire. "I guess we're both unlucky in love, I mean, look at my track record."

Harry half smiled and turned his head to look at her at the same moment she did. Their eyes locked, and they both found themselves leaning towards one another.

His lips brushed hers gently; it felt like a warm caress of a breeze. Harry's hand touched the side of her face, his fingers moving lightly across her cheek. Hermione pulled away slightly and opened her eyes to find his green ones transfixed on her face.

"Hermione I…" he never got to finish because she put her index finger over his lips and them moved her hand up to take his glasses off. His emerald gaze was even brighter without the lenses and Hermione found herself spellbound as he leaned in again, and this time their kiss wasn't so hesitant.

His mouth was hot against hers as his hands came up and around her slim body, pulling her up tight against him. She brought her fingers up to trail through the hair at his nape; Harry let out a soft groan as her nails gently brushed his scalp. He shuddered as he pulled his mouth from Hermione's and eased her down so that she was lying on the floor. His hands began to wander over her body as his lips attacked her skin.

"Oh God… Harry…" Hermione breathed as his tongue darted out over her neck, his mouth moving down and across her throat. She involuntarily arched her back, pressing her breast into his palm. It was suddenly too hot for clothing and she sat up, pulling her jumper over her head. He helped her pull his off as well, and then Hermione leaned forward and pressed her mouth against Harry's, knocking him backwards onto the blanket.

Harry moved his hands up over her back, passing her bra, and dug his fingers into her hair, pulling the long locks out of the bun she wore, the strands spilling out around and over the two of them like a curtain. Her body moved against his, making his lower half ache.

Hermione could feel Harry's growing response to her, and it both frightened and thrilled her. This was Harry for Merlin's sake, her best friend Harry she was kissing, and that was the scary part. But it wasn't just Harry her best friend from their school days; it was a grown up Harry who happened to be the best kisser she'd ever encountered. Harry, who had just broken up with his long time girlfriend not even a week before…

"Harry." Hermione pulled her mouth away from his and propped herself up on her hands so she could look down at him. "Harry… we can't do this you've just ended a relationship…" He gazed at her with his slightly unfocused eyes and she felt her heart skip a few beats.

"I don't care." He murmured, pulling her back on top of him. "I want you." She was about to respond when Harry gave her an open mouthed kiss that left her completely breathless. Hermione could no longer think as his tongue tangoed madly with hers, his hands trailing down her back to the clasp of her bra. He snapped it off with one quick motion and began to peel the lacy fabric away from her skin.

Harry wanted to feel her under him, so he moved around so that he was now on top, whisking off her bra without once taking his lips from hers. She arched her back again as his thumb brushed over her already hard nipples, making her cry out into his mouth. He broke away and began to make a trail down her throat, leaving wet kisses over her skin, and then taking one breast into his mouth.

Hermione cried out even louder as his tongue flicked over her tip, and fisted her hand in his hair, gripping tightly. It had been far too long since she'd been touched intimately, and her body was craving what Harry had to give; what he apparently wanted to do to her. His hand covered the breast his mouth had just been on as he moved to her other, giving it the same treatment as she gasped his name over and over again.

"Harry… make love to me…" Hermione whimpered as his tongue traced over her skin. "Please Harry… make love to me…"

Harry pulled his mouth away and looked down at her. "Hermione…"

"Just do it Harry." She was demanding as she pulled him back down on top of her and crushed her mouth to his.

"You want to? Honestly?" he asked several moments later after they pulled away from each other.

"Yes." Hermione said immediately. Harry nodded and then stood up and put out the fire. He held a hand out to her and she rose, and started laughing when he scooped her up in his arms, honeymoon style.

"We have to do this right," he said, leaning in for a quick kiss. Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck as he went down the hall into his bedroom. Harry kicked the door shut behind them, then carefully laid her down on the bed, immediately bending over to kiss her again.

*** *** ***

Hermione's arms and legs were still tangled with Harry's a few hours later. Their fingers were laced together, her thumb brushing over the back of his hand. Harry's green eyes were shut tight, his breathing steady as he slept, unaware that Hermione was studying his face and thinking about what they had done that evening.

"I don't know what to think anymore…" she said, her voice barely making a sound. "I never thought you and I… that we'd do that sort of thing." Harry slept on, as Hermione continued. "What do I do now?" she closed her eyes a moment. "I'm so confused about how I feel about you Harry…" sleepiness was overcoming her in waves. Hermione yawned as she pulled her hand away from Harry's, debating on whether or not to move to the side of the bed as well. He had made her feel so good that night, and after the past few weeks, she was craving affection.

"I'll think about it in the morning…" Hermione told herself as her eyes slid shut, her body still firmly twined with Harry's.

Chapter 4 will be out as soon as I can get it done- Monday I leave for London YAY!!!