Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Wedding Planner by Mara Jade Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Wedding Planner

Mara Jade Potter

Hello, everyone! This is going to be a kind of cross between the movies The Wedding Planner and My Best Friend's Wedding. I know the second one has been done to death, but I've never seen a fic based on the Wedding Planner, so hopefully this is somewhat original. I had to deviate from the movie a bit, because, obviously, Hermione would know if Harry was engaged, etc...that's where I picked up little things from my Best Friend's Wedding. For anyone that I previously mentioned this fic to, it was originally called "Aurora Borealis", but I didn't think that would attract readers, so I just changed the title!

Whew! Now that the explanation is done, let's get this over with...

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, Daniel Radcliffe (though I'd like to!), Emma Watson, Warner Brothers, blah blah blah, and all related materials. I do not own the Wedding Planner, or Jennifer Lopez or Matthew McConaughey. I do not own My Best Friend's Wedding or Julia Roberts. I do not own Time of My Life lyrics. I do not own green eggs and ham, I do not own them, Sam I Am!

Author's Note: There will be brief mention of HG/DM, and Harry will have a fiancee for much of this fic! If this bothers you, do not read any farther, but remember: this is Portkey and I am a H/Hr shipper!

Chapter One--Karaoke Night and A Couple of Surprises

"Why must you drag us here every week?" groaned Ron as Hermione pulled him inside the small, cheerful bar.

Ginny grinned. "Because she has a serious love affair with karaoke."

"Yeah, and with a voice that good, how could she not?" mumbled Draco in an exasperated voice.

Hermione laughed. "You know you love it. Besides, it's a reason for us to see each other every week."

The London bar was a faithful hangout for the friends on Friday nights. It had originally been Hermione's idea, of course, because she did indeed love karaoke. But more importantly, it was a way for them to let loose and just enjoy one another's company.

Working in the Muggle Liaison office was a wonderful job for Hermione, and Ron adored his place as the strategist for professional Quidditch team the Chudley Cannons. Ginny, too, was constantly busy with her work for the Daily Prophet, as their number one reporter. Malfoy worked in the Ministry with Hermione, but what he did exactly, none of them knew. It didn't really matter, Hermione privately thought, because anything that involved a degree of shady activity was right up Draco's alley. Sometimes she was still amazed that he had ever joined the Light side and become friends with them.

But no matter how distracted they got with work, or how involved they became in relationships or family or other friends, they made it a point to stay as close as they'd been at Hogwarts.

And that was why, in a crowd of Muggles at a funny London pub, they took their favorite table in a dark corner of the place. As they ordered drinks and began their usual routine of updating each other on their week, Hermione saw a tall man with dark untidy hair sitting at the bar, his back to her. She sighed discontentedly. That hair reminded her of Harry.

Harry. He was always gone on some business as an Auror. Though it was only his second year out of training, Harry had managed to become one of the best dark wizard catchers since Mad-Eye Moody himself. Which, unfortunately for his friends, meant that they rarely ever saw him these days.

Ron was complaining loudly that the Cannon's Seeker had fouled up the new move he'd created, but Hermione was still drifting in her own thoughts about her other best friend.

The longer Harry was away, the more her thoughts turned to him. She knew it wasn't a good idea to worry so much, but she couldn't help it...after the final battle with Voldemort in their seventh year, she'd hoped Harry was done being in danger. But The-Boy-Who-Lived-To-Be-A-Pain-In-The-Arse, as she'd renamed him, had still been adamant about finishing what he'd started.

"By the time my days as an Auror are over," he'd promised grimly, "There won't be a free Death Eater anywhere in the world."

Now, sipping a beer, Hermione hoped that he was close to reaching his goal. She couldn't stand one more week with him missing from the seat beside her, the one he so rarely occupied when he was in town.

"Mione," came Ron's impatient voice through her musings, "Mione, what are you going to sing tonight?"

The rest of the table laughed. "Hey, guys, come on," protested Hermione, "My voice isn't that bad."

There was a snort of disbelief from Malfoy. Ginny punched him in the arm. "Anyway, Malfoy, at least she can carry a tune, so she's better than you." Ron and Hermione nodded in agreement.

Hermione checked her watch. "Where are Luna and Neville? They should be here by now."

Two more friends from their days at Hogwarts, Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom, filled out the party on Friday evenings. Luna worked as coeditor with her father at The Quibbler, and Neville was an Herbologist for a wizarding pharmaceutical company. They both worked long hours, but they usually made it on time for Karaoke Night. Their tardiness was disconcerting to the former Head Girl.

"It's okay, Hermione, I dare say they won't be devastated at missing your first song of the night," quipped Ron, but Hermione noticed him exchange a grin with Ginny.

Now what was that about?

"Oh, alright, alright," laughed Hermione and she made her way to the stage.

"Hey," called Ron playfully. "Do you take requests?"

"Yeah," chimed in Ginny, "Sing that song you always sing with Harry!"

Hermione smiled. Yes, she and Harry had their special song, from a movie they both loved, though Harry was reluctant to admit such. She paused before answering her friends, though. She had never done the song without Harry before. It didn't feel right.

Ginny seemed to sense her thoughts. "Harry won't mind," she called as Hermione reached the stage. Hesitantly, Hermione nodded and told the man in charge her selection.

"Missing your other half tonight, Miss, aren't you?" he observed softly. After coming to the same place for so long, all the barkeeps and staff recognized the group of friends. Hermione smiled weakly.

"Yes," she replied, "I'm missing him, all right. He's away on business."

"Don't worry, Miss," said the kind old man, setting up her music, "I'm sure when he gets back you'll live happily ever after and have lots of kids."

Before Hermione could correct the man about her relationship with Harry, he played the recording.

The music began to play, and she felt her fingers tingle. She loved this! The intro finished, and she felt her heart sink slightly when she remembered that, tonight, she'd be singing Harry's part as well.

"Now I've had the time of my life

No I've never felt like this before

Yes, I swear, it's the truth

And I owe it all to you

Cause I had the time of my life and I owe it all to yooooou-oooh..."

The tempo increased, and suddenly, she heard a familiar voice fill the air a split second before she opened her mouth.

"I've been waiting for so long

Now I finally found someone to stand by me," came the voice through the shadows of the pub, and Hermione squinted to make out a figure.

"Saw the writing on the wall as we felt this magical fantasy," she responded, wondering if that voice was really who she thought it was...

"Now with passion in our eyes, there's no way we could disguise secret need," they sang together. "So we take each other's hand, cause we seem to understand the urgency."

"Just remember!" came the voice.

"You're the one thing," sang Hermione, her voice shaking.

"I can't get enough of..."

"So I'll tell you something..."

"This could be love!" They sang together, and as the chorus began, Harry Potter stepped into the light, a microphone in hand as he walked toward her and onstage. Hermione's mouth fell open as she glimpsed Neville and Luna in the back, grinning like mad, and the bartender giving Harry the thumbs-up sign.

"Because I've had the time of my life

No I've never felt this way before

Yes, I swear

It's the truth

And I owe it all to you," they continued the song, Hermione faltering slightly over the words, though she knew them by heart.

"Hey, Baby!" yelled Harry, pumping a fist in the air, his emerald eyes dancing with mirth.

"With my body and soul, I want you more than you'll ever know," sang the witch, her voice gathering strength as she adjusted to the idea that Harry was here, with her, singing their favorite song.

"So just let it go, don't be afraid to lose control," laughed Harry, gyrating his hips in a hilarious fashion, waggling his eyebrows suggestively. Hermione grinned. Typical Harry.

"Yes I know what's on your mind when you say, stay with me toniiiiiiiiight," Hermione hit the high note. Though her friends teased her mercilessly, her voice was actually rather good...they just figured it was unfair since she already good at everything else!

"Stay with me," interrupted Harry, sliding to his knees in front of her. "And remember!"

Hermione laughed. If she loved karaoke, then Harry was obsessed with it. Nobody in the Muggle world knew him, and that gave him free reign to let loose and act like an idiot, which he didn't often get to do.

"You're the one thing I can't get enough of

So I'll tell you something

This could be love

Because I've had the time of my life

Though I've never felt this way before

Yes, I swear

It's the truth

And I owe it all to you

Cause I've had the time of my life

And I've searched through every open door

Til I found the truth

And I owe it all to you," they sang together.

Harry got up and grabbed Hermione's hand, twirling her around as the instrumental break came on. He rolled her in close to him, and whispered "Sorry I'm late, Mione." He spun her away before she had time to respond.

"Now I've had the time of my life, No I've never felt this way before, yes I swear it's the truth, and I owe it all to you!" sang Harry, and Hermione marveled, not for the first time, that he had a wonderful baritone voice. Hermione finally could not wait any longer, and as the chorus faded away, she flung her arms around Harry's neck.

The entire pub burst into applause, and the two friends blushed and walked off stage.

As they sat back down, Hermione squeezed Harry again, then pulled away and hit him in the chest.

"Ouch," he mumbled.

"Harry James Potter! What did you think you were doing? You scared me to death! I nearly wet myself onstage!"

The rest of the table laughed, and the furious woman rounded on Neville and Luna. "You set this up, didn't you?"

They nodded guiltily.

"And you two!" Hermione glared at Ron and Ginny. "Egging me on, getting me to sing that specific song."

Everyone laughed, and Draco threw his hands up in innocence as Hermione began searching him expectantly.

"Hey, I had nothing to do with this!" he protested.

"Aw, come off it, Malfoy," grinned Ginny, "Who's the one that got information Harry was coming back early from Albania?"

Hermione threw a beer nut at him.

Harry flung an arm about her shoulders. "Come on, Mione," he drawled lazily, "Don't be cross. I just wanted to surprise you." He frowned at her.

"Oh, don't look at me like that, you know I'm thrilled to see you," she smiled, picking up her drink.

"Good," he smiled, "Because I've got some great news for everyone. I came back early because...I'm engaged!"

Hermione spit out her beer.

Click that little box and review! Even flame! Tell me your life story, I don't mind! Just respond!