Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Marauders and the Apple of Discord by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Marauders and the Apple of Discord

Green Eggs and Ham

I'm really sorry this chapter's so short, but there has to be a break in between this one and the next one. I probably should have just tacked this one onto the end of chapter 10, but oh well. Thanks to everyone who reviewed, and I hope you like this chapter!

Chapter 11

Crime and Punishment

"Did you really think you could get away that easily?" said the voice mockingly, as Peter frantically turned his head to see where it had come from. He knew who it was, of course. There was only one person in the world with such an awful voice. The only trouble was… he couldn't see her anywhere.

And then a movement caught his eye, and he turned to see Eris appear in the corner of the room. She had swept off the silvery cloak that had covered her, and was now smiling at him contemptuously.

"I knew something was wrong when those girls came here," she said, walking slowly towards Peter. "So I hid under my invisibility cloak and waited."

Every step that she took echoed in the cold, quiet room, and Peter could feel every step reverberate through his entire body. His heartbeat was so loud he was sure it could be heard 50 miles away. With every step that Eris took, his dread seemed to grow that much greater, until it felt as if it would pop.

"I suppose we'll have to take you to the headmaster's office," she whispered, so close now that she was looking straight into his eyes. "You'll be expelled," she added, smiling maliciously.

*

Dorcas and Emmeline had sat down in Professor Dumbledore's office, and were now desperately trying to think of something to say. Sirius had never covered this in the plan, because it had been thought highly improbable that they would even get this far.

Dumbledore was looking at them intently over his half-moon glasses, expecting them to begin talking, but even if they did have something to say, it would have been impossible to find the words.

Just as Zeus was clearing his throat loudly for what seemed like the hundredth time, Eris came bursting through the door, dragging behind her a trembling boy with the most terrified look they had ever seen plastered across his face. But even before they saw him they knew what had happened. It was inevitable. It really was an awful plan.

Eris had a look of selfish glee on her face as she shoved Peter into a chair, and marched towards the headmaster's desk.

"I caught this rat in the meeting room," she said, looking at Dumbledore expectantly.

But Dumbledore didn't speak. He simply stared at Eris, while she smiled spitefully at him.

But then her smile began to fade. "Didn't you hear me, Professor? He was in the meeting room!" she shrieked.

Dumbledore simply smiled. "Ah, I see. And what was he doing in the meeting room?"

"He was returning the orb, Professor," Eris said, the same smile returning to her gaunt face.

Dumbledore turned to look at Peter, frowning slightly. "Is this true, Mr. Pettigrew?"

Peter looked horrified. "Y-yes, S-sir," he stuttered.

Eris smiled. "I trust he will be expelled for this?"

*

"They should definitely be back by now," Marlene said, pacing back and forth across the common room.

"They were caught," Sirius said, his face in his hands. "I knew they would be. It really was a stupid plan." He raised his head and looked at James. "Whatever possessed you to go with my plan?"

James laughed, but it was a forced laugh, laced with worry.

Lily was lying on one of the couches in front of the fire, staring into the flames. She hadn't said a word all night, but now she said, "We should have all gone, really. It wasn't fair of us to send them alone." She sighed. "If they really are caught, it's our fault."

Everyone was silent for a moment until Remus said slowly, "She's right, you know. We should have all gone."

Sirius jumped up raised his head suddenly, gasping in the way that someone does when they have a brilliant (or in Sirius' case crazy and dangerous and not terribly bright) idea.

James looked at Sirius. Sirius looked at James. And James knew what he was thinking. "It's crazy!" he shouted, never taking his eyes off Sirius. "It's too late, anyway. If we were going to do something, we should have done it a long time ago!"

Marlene and Lily looked at them like they were morons (which, of course, they were), and Marlene said, "Umm, what's crazy?"

James and Sirius turned and looked at them as if they had only just realized they were still in the room. James sighed. "Sirius wants to go out there and find them," he said slowly.

"WHAT?" Marlene shouted. "You have to be joking. Go out there? We'll all be expelled.

Lily groaned, getting up slowly off the couch. "He's right, you know. We really should do something."

Marlene looked from one to the other slowly, and then collapsed into an armchair, muttering, "They're mad. They've all gone completely mad!"

They all looked at her, smiling, and she got up slowly, saying, "Surely you can't be serious?"

Sirius laughed. "Of course I'm Sirius. And don't call me Shirley."

*

Dumbledore smiled and looked at Eris. "Clearly," he said, "this boy was simply returning what was lost. Isn't that right, Mr. Pettigrew?"

Peter nodded feverishly. Eris looked like she might be sick. And then she stormed from the office, Zeus following closely behind her.

As soon as they had left the office, Dumbledore turned to Peter, looking very serious. "I assume you were the one who had stolen the orb?"

Peter nodded slowly, his head down.

"You will be punished, of course. But not expelled."

Peter looked up, tears in his eyes, and nodded again.

"I understand the desire that something like the Apple of Discord can place in a person. When placed among friends, they will often fight to the death to possess it. Only the strongest minded of all people can look at the Apple and resist it. Therefore, it is understandable that you would seek to take it. It was also a very noble thing you did to return it at all. Men older and wiser than yourself have died trying to cling on to the Apple, and I commend for attempting to return it."

"Please, Sir, it wasn't really me who wanted to return it. James Potter was the one who told me too. I had wanted to keep it, but James made me put it back. I didn't do anything good at all."

"James Potter?" Dumbledore repeated, smiling. He turned to Emmeling and Dorcas, who had been listening quietly. "I suppose all of the Gryffindor first years have been involved in this little escapade?" he laughed softly.

They nodded, turning a bit pink.

"Well," Dumbledore continued, "I must have a word with all your peers at some point. Shall we say, tomorrow morning, when you all are well rested?"

But at that moment, Professor McGonagoll marched in a tartan dressing gown and slippers, followed by two girls and three boys.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Professor, but these students say they must see you at once. Apparently, it's urgent." She said sarcastically.

But before she could say anything more, James leapt in front of her, and said something to the effect of, "ProfessorYouCan'tExpelPeterIt's AllMyFaultAndHeDidn'tDoAnythingWrong!"

Dumbledore smiled, and said softly, "Don't worry, Mr. Potter, I have no intention of expelling anyone."

James went a little pink, and muttered, "Oh, well, sorry, I'll just, umm, go then."

"Not so fast, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore continued, still smiling, "Since it is, all your fault as you put it, I think it only fitting that all eight of you receive a week's detention-if not for theft, then for wandering around school after hours."

All eight students nodded. It was, after all, only fair for all the school rules they had broken over the past few months.

"I am not completely heartless, however," he continued. "These detentions will not be served until after Christmas holidays."

The Gryffindors smiled. They had completely forgotten that Christmas break only began in a few days.

"Now, if all of you do not return to your dormitories, I'm afraid you will all be quite deprived of sleep tomorrow morning."

And that was quite enough for them. They all rushed out of the headmaster's office, leaving Professor McGonagoll quite confused behind them, and talked together all the way back to their dormitories, where they promptly fell asleep.

Hope you liked it! Now, I have a serious matter to discuss with all of you. It's called "reviewing" and it's really really really really important to me. I have calculated the numbers, and approximately 3% of the people who read this story write me a review. That means that 97% of all the people who read this story have been too LAZY to tell me what they think of it, and this is getting to be a very serious problem. I mean, how long does it take to write a review? Not very long. And then you get the wonderful satisfaction of knowing that you made me happy. So I suggest that the 97% of you that aren't writing to me please please please write something.

-->