Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Marauders and the Apple of Discord by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Marauders and the Apple of Discord

Green Eggs and Ham

Thanks to everyone who reviewed! You all made my day! Hope you like this chapter!

Chapter 12

Home for the Holidays

The next few days passed relatively quickly for the Gryffindor first years. After coming so close to being expelled, they had no desire to do anything else wrong, and so there were no more late night wanderings, and every one of them worked harder than ever in all of their classes. Needless to say, the professors where quite impressed, and it wasn't long before the Christmas holidays had begun, and they were all boarding trains to go home.

None of them had any desire to stay, as Eris had been giving all of them incredibly frightening looks when she passed them in the hallway, and they weren't in any mood to find out what would happen to them if she ever met them alone.

So that's why, in a compartment meant for only a few people, eight students were squeezed in, almost sitting on each other, but nevertheless, having a great time.

"I'm just glad we didn't get into too much trouble," Peter said slowly.

Marlene laughed. "Still, our first detentions…"

"And may there be many more!" Sirius said, and the rest of them erupted into more happy laughter.

*

When the train arrived in the platform, everyone quickly said goodbye, and ran off to meet their parents, all heading in different directions for the next few weeks. Lily, of course, had to leave the platform to find her parents, as they still didn't know where it was.

There was a great deal of hugging when she finally found them, and then they helped her carry all of her things out to the car.

"We're just so happy you're home, dear!" said her mother, for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"Petunia will be happy to see you, too. She's been so down lately," her father added. "She hasn't really wanted to talk about you at your new school. But it's understandable, I suppose. After all, you two have been inseparable since the day you were born!"

Lily laughed. "I've missed her a lot. And there's so much to tell you all!"

"Well, you can tell us on the way home, dear," said Mrs. Evans. "Petunia's waiting in the car."

And before long Lily could see her sister sitting in the back seat. They loaded her trunk into the back of the car, and Lily got in and sat next to Petunia.

"Hi!" Lily shouted, jumping excitedly into the car.

Petunia didn't look up. "Hello."

Lily's mood dropped suddenly. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Petunia muttered, turning and looking out the window.

*

Sirius walked slowly over to his mother, who was standing alone on the platform. She didn't look too happy, and he felt utterly confused as to why. Not a word was spoken the entire ride home. Not even the portrait of his mother said a word when they entered the house-she glared at him, and Sirius couldn't help but notice that it was the same glare they used when they saw Mudbloods.

It was only when they had entered the sitting room, and Sirius saw all his relatives sitting there with that same evil stare that it dawned on him. They were all there. His mother's cousin, Araminta Meliflua was sitting in the corner staring at him with an empty look in her eyes, and his ancient Aunt Elladora, who was so old she looked as if she was already dead, was sitting on the settee, looking at him with such loathing that it was a wonder her eyes didn't melt right through his head. Uncle Alphard was in a black armchair looking up at him not angrily, but sadly. But worst of all was his father, sitting quietly with his face buried in his hands, with his younger brother Regulus' hand placed reassuringly on his shoulder.

His cousin Andromeda gave him a reassuring smile for a split second, but looked away before anyone could see. Her sisters, Bellatrix and Narcissa, were glaring at him like everyone else, though. Andromeda had graduated from Hogwarts last year, as a Ravenclaw. She was the only other Black besides him who wasn't a Slytherin. But Ravenclaw was nowhere near as shameful in the Black family as a Gryffindor was. Bellatrix was a year younger than Sirius, and there was no doubt that she would be a Slytherin. Narcissa was also a Slytherin, although she was in her fifth year. She had to be the one who had told his mother that Sirius had been sorted into Gryffindor, because he most certainly didn't.

But Sirius was shattered out of his thoughts when his mother said quietly, "Blood traitor. Shame of my flesh. How DARE you!"

Sirius spun around to look at his mother, a horrified expression on his face. "I… I… no!" he stuttered desperately.

"Narcissa has even been telling us that you have become friends with other Gryffindors," his mother interrupted.

Sirius paused, looking at Narcissa, who now had her head held up proudly. Aunt Elladora had leaned over to her, and was whispering, "Well done, dear."

"Is this true? Have you been friendly to these Muggle-loving freaks?" she asked, her skin growing tight on her face, giving her a ghostly appearance.

But this was too much. She could insult him, and call him awful names, but she would not insult the only people who had accepted him for who he was. "YOU'RE WRONG!" he screamed, making everyone in the room jump. "They're not freaks! And yes, I'm friends with them, because they're ten times as great as the lot of you could ever be!" And with that, he stormed out of the room, leaving his entire family dazed behind him.

*

Peter trudged up the lane to his front door, hauling his heavy trunk behind him. He had to admit, he was a bit worried. His parents hadn't been at the station to pick him up, and so he had to Floo home alone. Could they be mad at him?

He opened the door, and dropped his trunk next to it, surprised. All the lights were off, and it didn't look like anyone was home, but he could have sworn he heard noises in the living room. Taking his wand out of his pocket, he walked slowly into the next room, and flipped the light switch.

"SURPRISE!" shouted at least a dozen members of Peter's family, jumping out of various hiding spots around the room.

Peter was so shocked that he nearly jumped right out of his skin. Red sparks shot out of his wand at his surprise, setting fire to a banner that said "Congratulations Gryffindor!" and upon seeing the panic around the room at the fire, the newest member of the house valued for courage squealed like a little girl and promptly fainted.

*

Remus was so excited he could barely stop talking. He told his parents about all the classes and all the new magic he had learned, and all his new teachers, but most of all he talked about his new friends, and how amazing they were.

"…and you'd never believe how amazing my friends are! I didn't want to tell them about my being a werewolf at first, but I did…" He ignored the concerned look his parents exchanged, and continued, "and they think it's fine! They've all been really supportive and great about it, and we have so much fun!"

His parents, of course, looked thrilled, and who wouldn't be? Their son had finally found people that accepted him and supported him, and although there would be people that would put him down, those people would be with him through it all to help him and make things easier for him.

*

One of those people was getting out of a car in Godric's Hollow at that moment, and did not look very happy. In fact, he wasn't, because he had just been informed that his parents wouldn't even be home from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day. This meant that he would have to go and stay at his Aunt Gertrude's until they got back.

Although Gertrude was Mrs. Potter's sister, they had nothing in common. They got along well, but Aunt Gertrude definitely did not possess her sister's kindness or warmth. She lived alone, and her house smelled strongly of cheap perfume that always made James feel sick. The only thing to do at her house was read books, and they were the kind of books that only lonely old women read.

So James slammed the car door and stomped all the way to his room, slamming that door as well. The first thing James noticed when he got into his room was a black owl sitting on his windowsill looking very regal, and staring at James as if it would bite one of his fingers off given the chance. It held its leg out to James, where a piece of parchment was tied. James approached it cautiously, taking the letter off quickly, and it flew off almost immediately after giving James another dirty look.

James,

I have nothing to do! My whole family is giving me the silent treatment for being sorted into Gryffindor, if you can believe it. They're all here, too. It was like a big party, only more depressing.

Anyway, I can't see the holidays will be much fun, wish I never came back now! It'd be much more fun if you or Remus or Peter could be here, too, but oh well. Guess I'll see you back at Hogwarts after Christmas!

Sirius

PS- Owl me back if you have the time, I could do with something to read-got nothing else to do!

James scowled as he read the letter. He could just imagine, Sirius would be stuck in his room doing nothing as James would be reading one of Aunt Gertrude's randy books. He got out a scrap of parchment, scribbling out

Sirius,

Don't worry, you won't be the only one having a rotten time-I'll be staying with my Aunt Gertrude from Christmas Eve `til Boxing Day, and I'll be doing pretty much exactly what you're doing. She's old, and no fun, and she doesn't even let me go out flying or anything, so divide how much fun you're having by ten and that's how much I'll be having!

James

He put the letter onto his owl, watching as he flew off into the sunset, and then collapsed onto his bed, falling asleep.

*

"What's wrong, Petunia?" Lily asked for what felt like the thousandth time as the two sisters sat on Petunia's bed.

Petunia just continued ignoring her, but was flipping the pages of her magazine quicker now, and with more force.

Frustrated, and getting a bit exasperated, Lily sighed, "Petunia, please just tell me? Whatever I did, I'm very sorry, and I need to make it up to you."

Petunia was now flipping the pages so quickly that it would be impossible for her to be reading anything, and Lily was so upset that she was nearly in tears.

"I love you, Petunia," Lily said, a single tear dripping down her cheek, "and I don't want to lose you."

Petunia was flipping the pages so forcefully that one ripped out, and floated to the floor, and Lily wrenched the magazine from her, forcing Petunia to pay attention. "What are you talking about?" Petunia spat at her sister. "I'm not going anywhere."

Lily's tears were flowing freely now. "You're my sister, and my best friend, and I don't want us to grow apart."

Petunia's look softened. "I love you, too, Lils."

"Then tell me what's bothering you!" Lily pleaded.

"I just… I thought the same as you-that we would grow apart. And I didn't want that, so I got a little… crazy. Just promise that you'll always be my best friend?"

Lily smiled, "I promise."

Pretend that your favorite story of all time has just been updated (or maybe it has and you've just finished reading it, but I won't get my hopes up!) Now imagine that feeling you get when you read that amazing chapter. Now multiply that feeling by a billion, and you get the feeling I get every time I get a review. Don't you want me to be happy?

-->