Unofficial Portkey Archive

Into a Darkened Room by Demosthenes
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Into a Darkened Room

Demosthenes

**************

A/N Sorry this one's been so long in coming. I've had nothing but things flying at me from left and right over the last month or so, and I didn't want to risk being scalped by the fanfic police. Hopefully this one was worth the wait. It's sufficiently long - longest one yet actually, and I hope it can help with the withdrawals until the next one. Thanks again for all the feedback.

**************

Three in One

Harry wasn't entirely certain how, but he had managed to wrest himself free of Ratia and had taken refuge in the men's room. However, refuge might have been too generous a word. The restroom had a small series of bare lightbulbs dangling from the ceiling, one of which was slowly sputtering to death, making the dreary room even more depressing. There were only two urinals against the wall and three toilet stalls, none of which had the benefit of doors. The walls were thick with coats of dark green enamel paint that had been applied over the years. In Harry's opinion, it looked as if someone had decided that painting the walls would be easier than trying to clean them. The floor was concrete, also thick with paint - no doubt the same theory applying to it's maintenance. Three sinks lined the other wall, two of which actually worked, while the third maintained a thin and steady stream that never varied, no matter which way you turned the knob. And the mirror above the sink had a perpetual haze, whether from the material it was made from or the fact that it had never been cleaned, Harry couldn't be certain.

He had managed to hide out here for, he glanced at his watch, a good half an hour. He considered trying to apparate out, or even just sneak out through the crowded dance floor, but he couldn't bear to be that rude, no matter how irritating Ratia had been. He also didn't like the idea of leaving Ron or the girls here. However, he was certain the twins could fend for themselves.

He again tried to rest against the joining walls in the corner of the room, between the sinks and the bare wall. It was difficult to just stand there and not look like some type of pervert, but the alternative, he decided, was much worse.

How he had managed to become such a willing victim for the likes of Horatia Higgenbothan had puzzled him. It had started the previous evening, when he, Ron and the rest of the Weasleys had arrived at the hotel. When they had checked in he had a funny feeling, as if someone were watching him. After years of defending himself from all manner of dark forces, one developed a sixth sense about these things. He felt almost as if her were being stalked, and, when they had entered the lift to go to their various suites, he had noticed her staring at him from the lobby. She sat in the waiting area, surrounded by various bits of luggage, and had been peering at him from over the top of a large magazine.

He hadn't realized until now how lucky it was that he and the Weasleys had shared breakfast in the privacy of the elaborate executive suite that Fred and George had reserved for their parents. It was an unparalleled treat to have the entire family gathered together. Mr. Weasley had insisted that the importance of this meal was to share time alone with just family, before welcoming in another member by marriage. Harry had felt a bit out of place then, but Ginny had nudged him and whispered that he was probably more a part of the family than marriage could ever make him. He felt much more at ease then, and thoroughly enjoyed his time with the assembled Weasleys.

After breakfast, he, Ron and Ginny had returned to their suite and slowly recovered from the immense meal. They spoke about what they'd like to do while in Paris, none of them having an actual plan, as they had never been to the city before. They had decided to roam about the hotel, looking for brochures or pamphlets detailing local venues, and getting a general idea of all the resort had to offer. That was when Ginny had reminded them that Hermione would be arriving around noon, and Harry decided, rather hastily, that perhaps he should take a good, long while to scope out the resort.

Part of him felt guilty about avoiding her, but in all their time apart, he still couldn't think of quite what to say. Every time he had tried to give it some attention in the last two months, it made him feel terribly uncomfortable. He procrastinated so heavily on the matter, that now he found himself with only hours left before seeing her and not having one clue what to say. Perhaps, he reasoned, the answer would come to him if he wandered a bit (and avoided the situation like the coward he'd become).

In truth, he did miss her terribly, all awkwardness aside. Because of the delicacy the situation demanded, he had kept his two letters to her completely sparse. What he thought he might have to say he couldn't bring himself to write down. It required no less than a face to face conversation.

But what to say, and what to do.

Unfortunately, he lost all ability to ruminate on the situation shortly after leaving the suite. He had wandered into the large atrium of the resort, and had been immediately ambushed by Ratia. Calling it anything less would be an understatement.

She had introduced herself, he recalled, as if he should obviously know who she was. Some part of him was distinctly reminded of Rita Skeeter, but, in total fairness, Ratia was much nicer to look at. She had gushed somewhat about his obvious fame, but had seemed much more interested in talking about herself, her notoriety and her father's vast fortune. As much as he hated to admit it, she was something of a welcomed distraction, as thinking about the complexity of Hermione was making his head hurt.

Ratia had led him to the beautifully lit lounge and basically demanded nothing less than his full attention. After she felt she had given the subject of herself ample attention, she managed to keep Harry engaged in interesting, even fascinating conversation for nearly two hours. For all of his formidable power, Harry was clearly outclassed when it came to his social abilities. Not only had Ratia managed to get him to agree to a guided tour of the city, but she'd also convinced him to escort her to the welcome dinner that evening.

And that was when Hermione had arrived, and reminded him why he was out and about in the first place. He felt as if he'd been caught without having done his homework when he saw her. And despite his happiness at her arrival, that uncomfortable feeling crept over him and plainly must have shown on his face. Luckily, at the time, Ratia had dragged him off on that guided tour, and he'd had a few more hours to think up what to say to Hermione.

Unfortunately, this had only seemed to encourage Ratia. She had become his shadow for the rest of the day and what was fast becoming a long, long night. She may be an attractive and fabulously wealthy witch, but she was keeping him from the much more important matter at hand, and he simply couldn't put off the situation with Hermione any longer. The more time it took to actually speak with her, to have that conversation, the more guilty he felt.

He sighed, then noted yet another patron had eyed him warily upon entering the bathroom, and had taken the stall furthest from Harry's line of sight. 'Okay, enough with the pervy bit, time to face the music,' he thought, then headed back into the hazy din of the nightclub.

He stood on tiptoes as he tried to catch a glance of anyone recognizable. His mistake was standing out as he did so.

"There you are! We were wondering where'd you gone off to dear." That unmistakable voice managed to cut through the loud music and raised conversations around them.

"Uh, hi Ratia. I was just looking for my friends. It really is getting late, and we're meant to pick up our dress robes first thing in the morning," a small white lie, but hopefully an effective one. "We really should be heading off."

"But it's still early yet Harry. Surely you want to experience the Paris nightlife?"

"Maybe some other time. It really is getting late."

"Well then, I guess I'll just have to let you walk me back to the resort then," she smiled and gave a flirtatious laugh, then entwined her arm with his.

'At least we're leaving,' Harry tried to focus on the positive. "Ratia, have you seen Ron or the girls?"

There was a momentary flicker of her expression before she answered, "I think he's on the dance floor, and I'm sure the girls are here somewhere." She waved her arm off in a broad direction.

Harry spotted Ron's head bouncing up and down in the throng of people dancing. He wedged his way through the crowd, his task made that much more difficult with Ratia glued to his side. He finally made his way up to Ron, then vigorously jabbed at his shoulder with two fingers.

"RON!"

Ron turned around, his face red and shiny with sweat from the exertion.

"HEY HARRY, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? ISN'T THIS GREAT?" He threw his head back to indicate the girl thrashing wildly behind him. It was the same girl with facial jewelry that had asked him to dance when they had first arrived.

"RON, C'MON, LET'S GO THEN. IT'S GETTING LATE AND WE HAVE TO FIND THE GIRLS!' Harry did his best to emote the fact that he was desperate to leave.

"BUT HARRY...," Ron was just as eager to stay with the thrashing girl. Then a pair of delicate arms wrapped around his waist from behind, and, if possible, Ron's face went more red. 'Harry!' Ron had mouthed at him, then ticked his head back, trying again to signify the importance of staying.

"I think Harry's right, it is getting late," Luna spoke into Ron's ear.

Ron went slightly pale, "Luna?" Then he turned around, and his face split into a huge grin, "LUNA!!" He quickly noted the tight, black outfit she was wearing, and how completely delectable she looked in it. He also realized how utterly he had missed her, then grabbed her and pulled her off her feet into a tight hug. He let her go and fastened his hands to either side of her face and gave her a long and passionate welcoming kiss. The thrashing girl noted the reunion, huffed, then proceeded to find another partner with which to share her epileptic fit.

"LUNA, LOVE, WHEN DID YOU GET HERE?"

"Just now," Luna replied, somehow managing to make her dreamy voice heard over the din. "C'mon Ronald, let's go." She took his arm and led them towards the exit.

"Wait, Luna, we need to find Hermione and Ginny," Harry stopped her.

"They're at the resort Harry. I just left them." Harry threw an inquisitive look at Ratia, who batted her eyelashes and shrugged as if she had no idea what was going on. Luna maintained her persistence and drew them all out of the club.

Once outside, Harry took in a deep, cool breath. He hadn't realized how warm and smoky the club had been until he felt the fresh air hit his face. He took his glasses off, rubbed at his smoke-irritated eyes, then moved towards Luna.

"Luna, it's great to see you again," he hugged her as well, "how was the rest of your stay in Spain?"

"Not terribly productive. Daddy and I still haven't managed to find a single Dark Dwelling Cooquooey yet. We're thinking of trying South America next summer." Ratia gave a derisive snort. "And Horatia Higgenbothan," Luna looked her over, "how lovely to see you again."

"Er, yes, well um, thank you." Ratia was obviously not used to being caught off guard.

"Oh surely you must remember," Luna was affecting a rather conceited tone in her voice that had Ron and Harry glancing at each other in question. "That private affair for the Wizengamot hopefuls a few years ago?"

"Oh.., oh of course, Luna! How lovely to see you again." She was terribly adept at lying, but that's simply what one did when caught in these situations.

"Well boys," Luna continued, "I was just going to suggest we go get some coffee. How about that charming hole in the wall right over there."

"Actually Luna, I was hoping to head back to the hotel. I'm a bit tired and we have an early day tomorrow." As glad as he was to see her, Harry was quite ready to be back in his suite and rid of Ratia.

"Oh nonsense Harry, we have ever so much to catch up on, and the night is still young." Luna flashed a flirtatious smile, which deeply unsettled Harry, as it perfectly mimicked the smiles that Ratia had been giving all day. "Now Ratia, I can call you Ratia can't I?"

"Of course dear, that's what all my friends call me."

"Right. Well Ratia, do tell me how you find yourself in Paris this time of year." She strode ahead of Ron and Harry and began walking with Ratia toward the coffee shop. Harry deliberately walked slower with Ron so as not to be heard.

"Uh, Ron?"

"Yeah...," Ron had noticed something was definitely off as well. "I dunno mate, but whatever she's got in mind, I guess we're along for the ride."

They walked down the narrow alley to the coffee shop, found a cozy outdoor table, and ordered drinks and biscotti. Harry and Ron were fascinated at the amount of conversation exchanged between the two ladies. How on earth could two people talk so much about nothing in particular?

After a while, Luna took advantage of a lull in the conversation to playfully nuzzle Ron. She whispered in his ear, then kissed him, while Harry looked on uncomfortably. 'Will this night ever end?'

As they nearly finished their coffees, Luna excused herself momentarily, then returned with what she referred to as, "simply the most exquisite little mints." Ratia, dreading the offense of 'coffee breath', took one and thanked her. Harry was still slowly nursing his demitasse, and politely refused.

"So Harry," Luna looked at him, "how has Hermione been lately? I didn't get a chance to speak with her in the suite."

"Now Luna," Ratia interjected, "I'm certain Harry wouldn't want to seem rude by talking about his little friend behind her back." Her eyes glittered dangerously.

"Well, I'm just concerned. I hear she's been quite upset as of late."

"She has?" There was no mistaking the concern in Harry's voice.

"Oh, I'm certain she'll be quite alright Harry. From what I've heard she's quite a capable girl." Ratia was trying to squash the topic as quickly as possible.

"I suppose you're right," Luna conceded. "Still, I am somewhat concerned." She cast a meaningful glance towards Harry.

'Hermione's upset? I wonder what's the matter? Of course, how would I know, I've said but two words to her since she arrived,' Harry admonished himself. It made him realize, yet again, that he had put off talking to her for far too long.

"You know, it's funny that you should mention that she's capable. Ratia," Luna placed a slight emphasis on her name, "did you know that Hermione's been invited to attend Spellcrafting Academy? It's quite an honor."

"She's been invited to Spellcrafting Academy? It is quite an honor." Ratia's eyes widened slightly in mild surprise.

"Yes," Luna continued, "Ronald was telling me she got the offer only a couple of months ago. I hear it's near impossible to get into, isn't that right Ratia?"

"Yes, nearly impossible." Her face blanched. Spellcrafting Academy was an extremely elite institution. There was no process to petition for acceptance. Only a selected few witches and wizards worldwide were asked to join their ranks, and even then, no one ever as young as Hermione. Normally those who had already attended wizarding universities were the ones invited - those who had extremely advanced learning and understanding of magical theories and applications. The Academy was dedicated to the creation of new spells and magical items - a think tank of magical research.

"Ratia, would you like to hear how Hermione was accepted to attend? It really is fascinating."

"I would like to hear that, it does sound fascinating." Her face, if possible, seemed to grow even more pale. Harry and Ron both looked at her, slightly surprised that Ratia would be at all interested in hearing about Hermione. If nothing else, she had shown a slight distaste whenever the subject arose.

"Ronald, show Ratia your ring." Ron held out his hand to Ratia. Though she seemed to be in a state of mild shock, she took his hand and inspected the ring. It was simple, made of pewter with three round stones set at equal distances around the band.

Ratia looked quite uncomfortable, as if she were afraid to speak. "It's..., it's quite lovely," she said hesitantly.

"Harry, why don't you tell her about the rings?" Luna volunteered him.

"What? Oh, um, alright then," he looked at Ratia and couldn't help but notice she looked a little off. "Ratia, are you feeling alright?"

"I'm feeling alright, thanks." Again, a look of surprise flitted across her face.

"Don't keep us in suspense Harry, I'd love to hear your version of this story. You know how Ronald loves to embellish things."

"Hey!" Ron sounded slightly offended. Harry laughed.

"Okay then, um, well Ratia, you see, Ron's ring is actually one of three..." Harry's mind drifted back to that early morning in March...

¥¥¥

"Do you have any idea what's going on mate?"

"No, only that she said to meet her here right now." Harry looked around the empty classroom. From the look of the dust and cobwebs present, he was certain it hadn't been used in many years, and, from the route they had to taken, he doubted that hardly anyone else in all of Hogwarts knew it was here. But there was no doubt that Hermione had been here. She had a bubbling cauldron of something set up on a clean patch of floor with one of her signature portable fires blazing beneath it.

"Ugh, she could have picked someplace just a little bit nicer, and maybe just a bit later in the day." Ron yawned, then made a face as he tried to clear off a patch of dust from a chair before sitting down.

Just then Hermione came into the classroom, carrying a small box of items. "Oh good, you're both here!"

"Of course we are, you said it was urgent." Harry replied.

"Well, it is. I mean, it might be." She set down the box on a nearby table, then performed an advanced locking charm on the door. Harry looked at her quizzically. "Sorry, it's rather complicated what we're doing, and I don't want us disturbed."

"Right Hermione, what exactly are we doing then?" Ron yawned again. "I could definitely have done with a bit more rest? And why didn't you meet us in the common room?"

"Sorry Ron, but I had to finish collecting some items this morning."

"This morning? How long have you been up?"

"Since about four."

"Four?! What on earth for?"

Hermione sighed, then looked at both of them. "Okay, it's a bit complicated, but I've been working on something. Hopefully something that will help us when, you know..." She didn't need to say what for, they all had pretty much come to understand that whatever was going to happen with Voldemort was fast approaching. They also tried their best to continually skirt the issue of Harry's prophecy.

"Alright then, what have got in mind?" Ron helped her to skip past the awkwardness. They had managed to get pretty good at it over the last two years.

"Right. Okay then... I've been working on these potions for a few months now," she walked over to the box and removed a series of phials. "I'm actually going to combine them with that one," she indicated the brewing mixture on the floor, "to make a new potion, something that's not been tried before." She caught the looks of trepidation on their faces. "Look, I'm certain it will work! Honestly, you know me, I've done the research, and it should work just fine." She seemed to hesitate.

Harry stepped forward, "I'm certain if you think it will work, then it will." He then gave her a reassuring smile.

She beamed at his vote of confidence. "It will, I promise!"

"Okay, but then what do you need us for?" Ron was still a bit nervous.

"Well, what I'm doing, it's a combination of spells and potions, and as it's for the three of us, I needed you here as well."

"But this early in the morning?"

"I also need you to be as clear headed as possible," she noted he still looked a bit hesitant. "Look, just go sit by the cauldron and let me get my things." Ron shrugged at Harry, then they both went to sit down.

Hermione brought the box of items over, sat down, then set up the phials. She reached into the box and withdrew a black velvet drawstring bag, opened it, then shook the items into her hand. She placed three small round emeralds in front of Harry, three sapphires in front of Ron and three light brown topaz stones in front of herself. She also gave them each a pewter band.

Ron looked at the items in front of each of them. "Hermione, are... are these gems real? Where'd you get the money for all of this?" Harry was beginning to wonder the same thing.

"That's not the point right now. Listen, just pick them up and hold them tightly in your hand, alright?" They looked at each other for a moment, then did as they were told. "I'm going to cast a spell to bond the items to you, that way, in case anything should happen, no one else can use them against us." She performed the incantation on each of them and then herself. "Alright, now put them in the cauldron."

"But.."

"Honestly Ron, I know what I'm doing."

They each put the gems in the brew.

"Okay, now give me your hands and take each other's." She looked at them cast wary glances. "Oh honestly, it doesn't make you girls if you hold each other's hands!" She huffed and glared at them until they grasped hands. "Now, I need you to focus as much as possible. Look around the room and concentrate on where we are. Look at the room, as if you were planning to apparate into here. Try to make note of everything you can, then close your eyes, and focus your concentration on where we are." She waited until they had both closed their eyes, then closed hers as well and began murmuring a string of incantations that neither Harry or Ron had ever heard before.

Harry wasn't sure how long they had been holding hands. He could feel the warmth growing within the circle while Hermione continued to chant, and even though he was certain his eyes were still shut, he could see the room in stunning clarity. Things he hadn't even realized he noticed were now thrown into sharp relief... the broken chair resting at an odd angle against the wall, a tattered bit of parchment coated in dust on one of the tables, an extremely old copy of 'History of Magic' resting in the bookcase...

"OW!!"

"HEY!!"

They hadn't realized that Hermione had broken the circle until she used a small dagger to slice both of their palms. Ron looked at her in shock.

"WHAT THE BLOODY HELL'D YOU DO THAT FOR!?"

"Sorry, I didn't think you two could concentrate if you knew what I had to do next." She also cut herself across the palm while both boys looked on in distaste. She grabbed a small crucible from the floor, then pressed her open hand firmly against it to collect her blood. She then reached for Ron's hand, and he instinctively drew it back, still nursing his wound.

"No way, you've gone nutters!"

"C'mon Ron, that was the worst of it." She reached for him again while he looked at her with great caution. Then he slowly offered up his hand, and she swiped it against the crucible.

"Harry?" He looked a bit shocked as well, but willingly gave his hand over to Hermione. She repeated the maneuver, then set the crucible down. She took Harry's hand again and performed a healing charm that neatly sealed the wound she'd inflicted. She also healed Ron, then turned her attention back to the small white porcelain cup.

"Sanguis Adunare!"

She swirled her wand above the crucible, and it glowed a brilliant gold color, then slowly dimmed. She uncapped each of the phials and added them slowly to the large potion. One by one they briefly changed the color of the overall brew, and then it came time to add the final ingredient.

"Alright then, let's see if this works properly," she gave a nervous grin to both of them, then poured the blood, their collective blood, into the mixture. She then took her wand and stirred the potion counterclockwise three times. She withdrew her wand, now dripping with a deep blue viscous liquid, swiped it across her still bloody palm, then made a stabbing motion towards the cauldron.

"Trigare Agamus!"

There was a brilliant, yet soundless, explosion that nearly blinded them. They were all thrown back a few feet as the power of the spell repelled them. They each lay sprawled across the dusty floor.

Ron slowly lifted himself up into a sitting position, and had to blink several times to clear the spots from his vision. He rubbed the back of his head, then crawled to the cauldron, now dark and the fire extinguished. He peered in to find the nine gemstones resting at the bottom. There was no trace of the potion whatsoever.

"Hermione, was that supposed to happen?" He voice was thick with exhaustion. He blinked a few more times, his vision still proving problematic at a distance.

"Hermione?" Harry was slowly making his way to the cauldron, when he noted that she didn't answer. He crawled over to her and saw that she was completely unconscious, her hand bleeding profusely and leaving a shallow puddle that rested above the dust laden floor. A faint buzzing sounded in his head as he felt the beginnings of panic. He took her hand and quickly performed the same healing charm that she had used on him. Her hand continued to bleed freely, the spell having no effect.

Harry grasped her arms and shook her gently, "Hermione, wake up!" No response and he really began to panic. Ron had made his way over as well, and both boys began screaming at her.

"HERMIONE!"

"C'MON HERMIONE, WAKE UP!"

Ron had taken to shaking her arm and Harry had cradled her into an upright position. They screamed at her again, and she squinted her face into a grimace, then opened her eyes.

"Did it work?" Her voice was barely a whisper.

A wave of relief washed over Ron and Harry as she tried to sit up. Ron continued to look her over, trying to make certain she was alright. Harry had removed his school tie and was fastening it tightly around Hermione's palm.

"I tried a healing charm, but it didn't work." He explained.

"No... no, it wouldn't. It'll have to heal on it's own." He looked puzzled. "It's part of the spell Harry, I'm sure your healing charms are just fine." She gave a joking smile, and he smiled back, thankful that she was alright.

"So, did it work?"

"Um, I don't know. Those gems are just sitting in the bottom of the cauldron now. It's like there was never a potion in there at all." Ron explained.

A huge grin spread across Hermione's weary face. "Excellent! That's just as it should be!" She was nearly giddy as she made her way to the cauldron and scooped out the gems. She sat back on her knees and placed the bands in front of her, then gingerly set one of each stone around the three of them. Then she took a deep breath, drew her wand, and transfigured each of the collections of stones into the three pewter rings. She leaned to the side, obviously drained, and wore a lopsided grin of achievement.

Harry and Ron were completely baffled. They each looked at each other, then at Hermione and then at the rings. They looked at each other again, as if trying to decide which one of them should be the first to ask.

"Um, Hermione?" Ron decided he was the braver today, "not to sound at all ungrateful, but, well, um, this was all for some bits of jewelry?"

Hermione cast him a scathing look, and Harry was glad that it wasn't him that had asked. However, it quickly passed, as she was obviously so pleased at having done whatever it was she had intended. She even managed to laugh.

"Yes Ron, it was all for that bit of jewelry there." She had that bright and beautiful smile that they so rarely saw. She leaned forward and picked one up, then put it on her left ring finger. She winced a bit and Harry noticed that her palm had bled clean through the two layers of his tie. However, it didn't diminish her excitement in the least.

"Go on then, put them on. Left hand, doesn't matter which finger. It'll fit wherever you put it."

"Why the left hand?" Ron asked.

"Because we're all right handed of course," she said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Harry picked one up, and looked at it closely. The pewter ring now had one of each stone set equidistant around the band. He placed it onto his middle finger, and sure enough, it fit perfectly. Just for an instant he felt disappointed. He had expected it to do something spectacular when he put it on. But, as Ron had said, it just looked like a bit of jewelry. He glanced over at Ron and noted he had a similar expression. Then he looked at Hermione, and his breath caught.

Despite the draining effect of whatever it was she had done, she looked magnificent. Certainly her hair was more disheveled than usual, and her blood loss had made her somewhat pale, but the expression she wore, the absolute joy of having accomplished something so terribly significant, made her look absolutely beautiful, almost ethereal.

'I never realized,' he thought, 'she's.. she's so beautiful.' And he thought briefly of the first time that thought had crossed his mind almost three years ago. But, for all the work she had put into her appearance then, he thought it simply didn't compare to the sheer radiance that was emanating from her now.

When he became aware of the fact that he had been staring at her for far too long, he had enough sense to look away quickly and blush. Luckily Hermione was still in too much of a daze to realize what he'd done.

"Harry?"

He tensed, suddenly afraid that she'd noticed. She was always so good at reading him.

"Er, yeah?"

"Would you mind helping me up?"

"What, oh, yeah, of course." Thankful for the reprieve, he got to his feet, then slowly helped her to stand. She swayed slightly, dizzy from the blood loss, and Harry quickly steadied her.

"Thanks," she smiled up at him, and Harry felt a heated blush consume him.

"So," Ron began, and Harry was again thankful for the distraction, "what do they do then?" He was closely inspecting his ring, twisting it around his finger.

"Well, as much as I'd love to tell you, I think a practical demonstration would be much more exciting." She still had that infectious grin. "We're due to go to Hogsmeade in a few hours. I'll meet you both in the common room and explain along the way. Trust me, it'll be well worth it." She tried to walk toward the door and stumbled a little before Harry caught her.

"Hermione, are you all right?" Harry's voice was filled with worry.

"Yeah, you're not looking so great." Ron was equally worried.

She looked at the concerned faces of her two best friends. "Really, I'm fine. Just a bit tired is all. I have been up for quite awhile, and that spell was terribly draining. I just need to rest for a bit."

"But what about your hand," Harry asked.

"It will heal on it's own. I just need to keep it dressed for a few days and," she looked down at her hand, "oh Harry, I'm so sorry... your tie!"

"Don't worry about it. Are you sure you're alright?"

"Really, the both of you, I'm fine! Just tired is all. If you wouldn't mind helping me back to the tower I'll be perfect after a couple hours of sleep."

"What about all your things here?" Ron asked.

"Oh please, no one's used this classroom in ages. I could probably leave these things here for twenty years and they'd be nothing but dusty. I'll collect them later. Let's go then." She smiled, and Harry & Ron helped an extremely tired Hermione back to Gryffindor Tower.

-

Four hours later and all the Gryffindors, third year and up, were gathering in the common room to head out to Hogsmeade. Ron and Harry had taken Hermione's suggestion and napped as well. Unfortunately that meant skipping breakfast, and now they were completely famished.

"I wish she'd hurry up. I'm in desperate need of some food. First thing, I'm going straight to Honeydukes and grabbing a whole armload of sweets, and then we can grab lunch at the Three Broomsticks..."

"Ron, that sounds like an excellent idea."

Hermione had come up behind the two of them and threw her arms around their shoulders. She looked completely refreshed and was still beaming with that brilliant and infectious grin. Harry felt a sudden heat rise up in his face as her hair brushed against his cheek.

"In fact," she said, "I'll even treat. And then I can tell you all about our fabulous little trinkets!" She withdrew her arm from Ron and held her left hand out, showing off her ring. Unconsciously Harry let his arm drape around her waist, and then she turned and looked at him. For just an instant he stopped and looked at her as if seeing her for the first time. And he noticed that the smile on her face faltered, as if she had been surprised to see him looking at her like that. Then just as quickly it passed, and she grinned again and threw her arms around Harry.

"Oh this is going to be so brilliant!" Her voice was excited and giddy, and Harry didn't realize how good it felt to hug her until she let go. "Let's go get some lunch then! I'm absolutely ravenous." She placed both hands against their backs and playfully pushed them out the portrait hole.

After they had managed to secure a table in a somewhat secluded corner of the Three Broomsticks and order lunch, Hermione began telling them about the rings. While they were eating, she explained what function they would serve and how she had devised the combination of spells and potions to create them. When they were finished with lunch, and Hermione had finished her story, both boys looked at her completely dumbfounded.

"Hermione, you've got to be joking! There's no way... I mean, is there?"

"Look Ron, just think of it as a really complex version of the 'Point Me' spell I taught Harry a few years ago."

"You mean that one that points your wand north."

"Exactly, except these," she flashed her ring, "point the way to each other."

"But Hermione," Harry had been trying to sort out what she'd just told them, "how does that work? I mean, even if they worked the way you explained, don't we stand a really good chance of splinching ourselves all over the place?"

"I was worried about that too, but that's why I had us do that concentration bit while in the circle. Didn't you notice, when your eyes were closed, how clearly you could still see the room."

"Yeah actually, I thought that was pretty strange."

"Well, that and then the blood," Ron squinched up his face when she mentioned that part, "it basically focused your mind's eye, and then it became part of the potion, then part of the rings."

"Okay, let me see if I've got you right. Each stone is one of us?"

"Yes, emerald for Harry, sapphire for you and topaz for me."

"Eye colors?" Harry asked.

"Exactly." Hermione replied.

"Okay, so say I want to find Harry. I would turn my ring to find the emerald..."

"And then you would say 'Show Me', and I'll show you the wand movement for that. Then you touch your wand to the appropriate gemstone, and then concentrate. You'll be able to get flashes of where Harry is. You'd be able to see his immediate surroundings until you found a safe point in which to apparate into."

"And then 'crack'?" Ron snapped his fingers.

She snapped her fingers as well. "Exactly."

"Well wait a minute. If this ring's mine, then why does it have a stone for me set in it? Shouldn't it just have two for the both of you?"

"Well no actually. You see, the gems absorbed bits of us, from the bonding spell I used, and then that potion. So whenever you use the ring to find one of us, it transfers those flashes it gets into your stone, which then translates to you so you can see where we are. Not only that, but, if for some reason we'd need to, we could swap rings."

"Oh," Harry realized, "that's why they wouldn't work for anyone else. Because the three stones are only meant for the three of us!"

"Exactly Harry!" Hermione seemed rather proud that he had figured this out. "If someone tried using one they wouldn't be able to 'see' the images from us because there'd be no personal gemstone to translate the information. It's like our own personal code keys - very James Bond!"

"I suppose that makes you Q?" He grinned at her.

"Isn't he that fellow in Ravenclaw?" Ron asked.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, then laughed at their own private muggle joke. Ron just shrugged at them, then started inspecting his ring again.

"C'mon then, I want to try these out! Show me how to do that incantation!" Ron was suddenly quite excited.

Hermione took a moment to teach them the correct flourish of the wand, then had them practice. The effect was greatly diminished as they were all in the same place.

"Okay then, here's what we're going to do. Each of us will go our separate ways out the door. We'll have a five minute lead, and then I'll test it first, just to make sure it works properly." They looked at her in surprise. "Oh, I'm sure they'll work just as I've said, I just want to double check is all. If something's off, I'll know for certain, as I'm the one that threw them together. I'll find you first Harry, and then you Ron. And then we can really have fun with them."

"Are you certain?" Harry looked at her with earnest.

"It'll be fine. I promise. I just want to do the first run is all, just to be sure." She squeezed his hand. "Not to worry!" And then she smiled and got up from the table. "Five minutes then, fast as you can!" And then she practically ran out the door.

Harry and Ron both looked at each other, then grinned like maniacs. They raced each other out the door of the Three Broomsticks and sped off in separate directions.

Four and half minutes later and Harry was in an empty alleyway behind Scrivenshafts. He figured that if there were the remote possibility that Hermione might have trouble, he didn't want to be anywhere crowded with people or furniture. 'She's a lot less likely to splinch herself out in the open like this,' he reasoned. And then he noticed the slightest glimmer in the topaz on his ring, and then... CRACK!

"It worked... it actually WORKED!" An excited Hermione started jumping up and down, then literally flew straight into his arms. He caught her and then they did a half spin while she giggled with delight. He didn't think he had ever heard her giggle before, and then he began to really feel and appreciate the weight of her in his arms. He hugged her tighter and she laughed, and he closed his eyes and smiled.

They stood like that for a bit longer. Hermione brought her head down from Harry's shoulder, which she had needed to stand on tiptoe for, and laid her cheek against his chest. He was surprised at how easily she seemed to nestle against him, and he could swear he felt her sigh. He didn't know why, but it caused his stomach to flutter softly.

"Ron," she said softly.

"Hmm," Harry wasn't really paying attention to what she said, he just noticed how soft and sweet her voice sounded.

"I, um," she pulled back from him, a redness rising in her cheeks, "I should go find Ron now." She gave him a wistful smile that Harry didn't quite understand.

"Oh, um, right... right. You should go find him," Harry was slowly regaining his senses. "That was brilliant Hermione!" He smiled and congratulated her.

"Thanks," she smiled back, a happy smile this time. "Be right back then!" She twisted her ring, spoke the incantation, then CRACK! And she was gone.

Harry let out a deep sigh, then rested against the alley wall. He wasn't sure what was going on with him, but the fluttering of his stomach was slowly subsiding. He wondered why, just for a moment, Hermione had given him that almost sad smile. And then he thought about holding her again, and his stomach fluttered and he began to blush.

'What on earth's the matter with me?' He leaned his head back and closed his eyes. 'Why did she look sad there, just for a moment? I'll bet she thought I hadn't even noticed. Did I do something wrong?' He replayed the last few minutes in his head. Then he thought about how comfortable it felt to hold her, how good it felt to be held, and a tiny smile appeared on his face.

CRACK!

CRACK!

He opened his eyes and leaned forward. He looked at his two best friends, laughing like a couple of small children. They looked at him, and he couldn't help it, he burst out laughing as well.

"Oh mate, that was brilliant! Have you tried it yet?"

"No, not yet."

"C'mon Ron," she grabbed his hand and began pulling him away, "let's play Hide 'n Go Seek with Harry!" She had that beautiful smile again as she looked at Harry. "Give us a count of 20 and NO PEEKING!" She laughed again and then they were gone.

Harry had once had a chance to play this when he was very young. It was near the time he first went to school, before Dudley managed to chase off any friends he might have. A small group of children also starting school for the first time invited him to play. They'd laugh and run all over the grounds, hiding behind playground equipment and squeeing wildly while trying to make it 'home' to safety.

That rare happy childhood memory ran through his head, and he couldn't help but be inspired. He even covered his eyes and started counting loudly, "1... 2... 3..." Off in the distance Hermione heard him and gave an excited shriek of laughter, which caused Harry to count even faster. By the time he reached twenty he was nearly as giddy as she was. He twisted his ring to the topaz, and performed the wand movement perfectly.

"Show Me!" He closed his eyes and sure enough, he could see flashes of things from Hermione's perspective. In quick succession he saw the alleyway he was in, then a quick turn towards Honeydukes, through the door, into the shop, another door inside there, a room... mirrors on the wall... the empty corner of the room... AN EMPTY CORNER! CRACK!

Hermione gave an excited shout, then laughed. Harry smiled at her, surprised at how happy and childlike she was acting. He'd never seen her have this much fun before. Then he realized where they were.

"Hermione, is this the girl's lavatory?!" He paled slightly.

There was a shriek as a fourth year Hufflepuff entered the lavatory and spotted Harry, then quickly turned and left.

Hermione laughed again, "now go find Ron... then the next game!"

"Next game?"

"Yeah," she stood in front of him, then lightly jabbed him with her wand, "TAG! YOU'RE IT!!" Then she disapparated.

Harry would have laughed, had he not been so horrified with his surroundings. He twisted his ring again to the sapphire this time. "Show Me!" Quick flashes through his mind, until... CRACK! He was standing outside Madam Puddifoot's .

"Wicked, 'eh mate?!"

"Absolutely! Oh, and Ron, I have a message from Hermione."

"What's that?"

"TAG! YOU'RE IT!"

They spent the rest of their afternoon like that, popping all over Hogsmeade testing out their rings. By the time they returned to the common room that evening they were all exhausted. Thrilled, but exhausted just the same. They grabbed some cushions from the sofa and sprawled out directly in front of the fire.

"Hermione, these are absolutely brilliant!"

"Why thank you Harry."

"I agree, you've outdone yourself. I bet there'd be a huge market for these with Fred & George."

"Um, no Ron, I couldn't. It was really quite a difficult process. I don't think it could be done en masse."

"Shame though, I bet it'd be worth a mint."

"Maybe the Aurors could make them?"

"That's an excellent idea Harry."

"I just thought of something though? Will these work if we're not wearing them?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, if Harry took off his ring, and I try to find him with mine, would I still be able to 'see' him?"

"There's a chance, but I doubt it. It'd be fairly difficult. That's why it's important that we wear these from now on, just in case. Even if we can't apparate in Hogwarts, at least we'd be able to find each other. Not that we don't have the map for that, but you never know what will happen. I just don't want us to get separated, you know... when the time comes."

They were all silent, each lost in their own thoughts. They remained there in comfortable silence until Hermione yawned and bid them all goodnight. They watched her go, then went to bed themselves, exhausted with all the apparation they'd done.

Ron fell promptly asleep while Harry lay in his bed going over the events of the day. He kept twisting the ring on his hand, amazed at how truly brilliant Hermione was. He once again found himself thankful that he'd managed to have such an amazing friend. She was easily the smartest person he knew, well, the smartest person his age. Although, the more he thought about it, the more he realized she was much smarter than quite a few adults he knew as well.

Thinking about her brought those annoying flip flops back. He didn't know why that kept happening these days, or why he kept noticing things like her eyes or the sound of her voice.

'I wonder what she's doing right now? Probably sleeping.'

As the thought crossed his mind, he looked at the ring again. He knew full well no one could apparate within Hogwarts. Hermione had told him that a hundred times. But, he wondered, would he still be able to 'see' her? She had said they could function that way within Hogwarts, but what if she was asleep?

That caused a whole new train of thought to run through his head. What if one of them were knocked unconscious? Would the rings function then? How would he get to her or Ron it they were out cold? He reached out to his night stand and found his wand, then looked for the topaz glimmer in the moonlight.

"Show Me," he said in a low voice, not wanting to disturb his sleeping roommates, then he closed his eyes in concentration. He could see nothing but blackness, so he tried again, and concentrated harder. Slowly, he began seeing flashes of her room... the dressers and night stands... the group of beds... her bed... her pillow... and then it went dim.

'It must show the last thing you saw before you go unconscious,' he thought. But then he started catching glimpses of something else... small flashes of light... a brick wall... 'What on earth is that?' He concentrated harder, then saw the images more clearly, he spun slowly and saw that it was a brick wall, with a faint word he couldn't quite make out. Something written in large loopy letters. Then he felt incredibly warm, as if someone were holding him tightly. It made him blush and he could feel his pulse begin to quicken. Then his cheek was resting against someone's chest, and he could hear their heartbeat as well, while his was now hammering in his chest. Those damn butterflies were going spare in his stomach, but he didn't want to let go. He felt safe. He felt content. Then he was sad, because he knew he had to let go. Then he heard a murmured voice, then another, and then he slowly stepped back. He could see the wall now, and the word.. it was 'Scrivenshafts', and then his head turned and he saw himself standing there...

He sat bolt upright in bed, a sudden uneasiness overtaking him as he realized what he'd done.

'Did... did I just leglimens Hermione? I... I think I did? How did I do that? I've not been able to do that to anyone at a distance, except for Voldemort...,' then he looked at the ring, and he understood. 'She'll kill me,' he thought. 'But it's not like I meant to do it.' However, the more he thought about it, the more he realized that this was something different. He had seen things before when practicing his leglimency, and that was just it, he had seen. But this, whatever it was he had done, he not only saw, but he felt - all from her point of view.

In the interest of self preservation, he vowed two things - he'd never mention it to anyone and he'd never do it again. The last thing he wanted to do was violate anyone's privacy, especially Hermione's, especially after everything she'd just done. And with that in mind, he tried to go to sleep.

But then he thought about how she felt when he had hugged her. And he didn't know why, but he has relieved to know that whatever was causing his face to redden and stomach to flip-flop wasn't just happening to him. It was happening to her as well.

She felt the same way too.

And then he fell asleep.

***

Harry had managed to tell the extremely truncated and edited version of these events to the present company. He then told them how, after he had mentioned the rings to Mad Eye Moody, he had mentioned it to his superiors, and, as word spread, Hermione eventually received the invitation to Spellcrafting Academy and a commendation from the Ministry of Magic.

"Yes, well, it really is amazing how brilliant Hermione is," Luna said, "wouldn't you agree Ratia?"

"Yes, Hermione sounds amazingly brilliant." Ratia replied. Harry was lost in thought and didn't notice the look of abject horror on her face, as if she couldn't believe what she had just said.

"In fact, I think you should count yourself extremely fortunate to have such a friend Harry." Luna focused her large eyes on him. "Just consider where you'd be without her."

Harry saw her looking at him intensely, as if willing him to seriously consider what his life would be like without Hermione. He thought about everything he'd done, or more importantly, hadn't done, since the last time he'd seen her. He should have been thanking her, praising her for saving him over and over again. But, he just couldn't get past that final scene, his final confrontation with Voldemort, and the condition she'd found him in.

He considered this, then realized that nothing was more important than maintaining his friendship with this incredible person who'd been a part of him for seven years. Who'd sacrificed herself time and again to help him. True, there was some awkwardness between them, but they could move past that. He'd been an absolute prat for avoiding her all this time. What had he been thinking?

"You know, she and Ginny were going to be up for awhile when I left the suite. They're probably still talking right now, you know, catching up on things." Luna gave him her dreamy smile, and Harry smiled back.

"Ratia," Luna asked, "would you mind staying here with us while Harry returns to the hotel?"

"I'd love to stay here with you while Harry returns to the hotel." Ratia looked completely mollified.

"Thanks." He stood up quickly, anxious to finally have the talk he'd been dreading for two months. He pulled some francs from his wallet and gave them to Ron. "Thanks Luna." He grinned at her, then left the coffee shop.

"Ratia, you're not looking so good dear. Perhaps you should excuse yourself."

"I should really excuse myself," Ratia looked eager to run from the table and straight to the ladies room.

Ron turned to Luna, noting that instead of her normally dreamy smile, she was sporting a mischievous grin.

"Luna, love, what did you do?"

She batted her long eyelashes at him, "why Ronald, I have no idea what you mean?"

Ron smirked at her. "You know, I didn't care for her either. In fact, I'm rather impressed with the way you handled the entire situation.

She blushed slightly, "it's so nice when you compliment me. Thank you."

He threw his arm around her and nuzzled her neck. "Luna my love, what did you do?"

She gave a contented sigh, then pulled something from her purse and handed it to him.

He looked at it curiously, a pink wrapper that he had to unfurl on the table. When he read the label, he began to laugh out loud.

"You gave her this?"

"Well, they do wear off after an hour or so. Besides, there were too many muggles around for the Canary Cream."

Ron picked up the wrapper. 'Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is proud to present the Paraphrasing Pillowmint. Ever wish you could put words into someone's mouth? Give these to your friends and enemies and they'll agree with everything you say. Simply state the name of the person each time you want them to paraphrase you, and suddenly you'll have your very own 'Yes Man'. Effects guaranteed for at least one hour.'

"So, may I ask why?"

"Ronald, please, she's a wretched girl. Besides, I know what she's like. She'd be too embarrassed to admit that she was doing anything out of the ordinary. I knew she'd just play along."

"Really, and how did you know that?"

"I've met her before."

"Oh really, you weren't making that bit up then?"

"Well, it was a long time ago. I didn't like her then, and after seeing her with Harry, I knew I still didn't like her."

"Luna, I'm surprised. I didn't know you could be so catty."

"I am not... I simply didn't want her around my friends."

"Hmmm, jealous?"

"Hardly." Luna looked offended.

Ratia returned to the table still looking quite pale. "If you'll excuse me, I think I'd best turn in. I'm really not feeling too well." She gave a wan smile.

"Ratia, you're right. In fact, I think you're looking a bit fat as well."

"You know, I am a bit fat really." Her eyes grew wide in disbelief.

"Something of a cow then?" Luna smiled.

Ratia was smart enough to leave quickly, and hopefully, Luna thought, smart enough to stay away from her and her friends.

"Come on then Ronald." She stood and took his hand. "Let me show you how romantic Paris is at night."

He happily followed her out of the coffee shop and down the narrow alleyway out into the city. She nuzzled him as he held her close. As they walked along she began to talk.

"Ronald?"

"Yes love?"

"Did I ever tell about my nickname?"

"You mean 'Loony'?"

She gave a sad sigh. "Yes."

"No, not really."

"Well, when I was younger, I went to this party with my father, and there was a large group of children there, and one of them was this wretched girl..."

***************