Unofficial Portkey Archive

Absence by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Absence

diggingupophelia

A/N: I must say that of all the stories I have posted on PK, this one seems to be the one with the weakest reception, and that is fine, however, this is the one that I like the most. I don't know why though. It is completely different than the other pieces I have posted, but this one has been the most emotionally draining for me to write, maybe that is why I like it so much. Plus I wrote this pieces after I totally painted Ron as the ultimate arse and prat in `Black and Blue' so I decided to redeem him a bit in this. I know it isn't exactly a happy story but sometimes I feel like being melodramatic and angsty (I know that really isn't a word). I want to know what you think of this even if you don't like it, so please review. I am asking though that if you don't like it please say something constructive instead of rude.

@)----;----------

Ron spent some time over his empty grave while the dirt was shoveled over it, one load at a time. He watched as his former life was buried away. Dumbledore stood next to Ron and kept his hand on his shoulder the entire time. Ron was crying for himself, for his children, for his wife, and for his best friend. Ron had prepared for this moment for the better part of a month, it was all a set up. Draco had been working for the Order, and the two of them had staged their death.

Ron was sitting in his study working on some plays for the Chudley Cannons, as the assistant Head Coach this was his responsibility. He was ripped out of his thoughts by the sound of pecking on the window ; it was Hedwig. This in and of itself was not unusual, Ron had decided to take care of Hedwig after Harry died. Ron noticed that Hedwig carried a letter bearing the Hogwarts' seal. Again this was not in and of itself unusual, occasionally Dumbledore would send Order instructions to Ron using school stationary. Ron took the letter off of Hedwig's leg and reached around in his desk for an owl treat, then he opened the letter.

The letter was in Dumbledore's own hand:

Ron,

I do not know how difficult this news is going to be for you to bear, but it is something I need to tell you. You are aware that the Order is confident that Voldemort is dead (Ron it is ok to stop grimacing whenever you read or hear this name), I can now tell you with out fear for any of you that Harry is alive. I think you and Hermione should consider telling him about his children. How or if you tell Hermione of this letter is your choice. However I trust you will do the right thing.

Albus

Ron read and re read the letter at least a hundred times. He couldn't believe what he was reading. "That old fucking…" he started, he couldn't think of something awful enough to call Dumbledore. Harry was alive the whole time, and Dumbledore just let their lives be ruined. It wasn't that Ron didn't love Hermione or the life that they had created together, he did, but he knew that Hermione wasn't as happy as she deserved to be and he was positive that Harry wasn't as happy as he deserved to be. Harry who had never had any family to speak of was delibearately kept away from him by the man Harry looked up to.

Harry. That was the only person Ron could think of right now. How had he felt when he found out that he and Hermione had married and so near the time he died. Dear Merlin, how that must have hurt him more than anything.

Ron had the sudden urge to go to Hogwarts and wrap his hands around Dumbledore's one hundred and sixty year old neck and squeeze until that old fucker's sparkling blue eyes popped out of his head. Then maybe he could get a glimpse into that brain to see what that old coot was fucking thinking. He was beyond angry about what he had learned, but he knew what he had to do.

After Ron calmed down and stopped himself from Apparating in front of the gates of Hogwarts to seek out Dumbledore, "that manipulative…son of a bitch", he sat down at his desk and pulled out a fresh piece of parchment.

Harry

I never knew. If I had known, things would be different. I have a way to fix this mess. Owl me when you get this.

Ron

Ron sent Hedwig to find Harry, he knew it wouldn't be long, but he knew what he had to do. He left his office and went to spend his last days with his wife. He was going to give Hermione the life she had always wanted.

"Hey. Love" called Ron from the door way of Hermione's study, where she sat with her four children, two were Harry's and two where his. She was telling the children about Harry, it was one of their favorite story topics.

Immediately Hermione sensed that something was off, "What is it?"

"I have gotten Orders from Dumbledore. They have found the last Death Eater, I am going to get him…for Harry"

"Ron it is enough, Harry is dead and there is noting you nor I can do to bring him back"

"I have never broken a promise to you, and I am not going to start now" he turned his back on his wife and went to the room they had shared together for the past four years. He sat on the edge of the bed and stared into the fire. Hermione interrupted his thoughts.

"Ron, I don't want to lose you too"

"You'll never be alone, Hermione, I need to do this for Harry"

Ron held Hermione close to him and breathed her in; this would be the last time that he would hold her like this. This would be the last time he would make love to her. This was his way of saying good bye and he knew it and so did she, she always knew things like that. After they were done making love he left her sleeping in the bed and went to his study to wait for Hedwig. She did not disappoint.

Ron,

I don't know what you are planning, but you cannot make this right. Nothing will ever be the way it was again.

Harry

Ron threw the parchment into the fire. He gathered up his favorite photographs of himself and the children and of course Hermione, and one of The Trio right before the final battle. He went into each child's room and kissed them on the forehead, and then to Hermione.

Hermione,

I'll be there for you, whatever you do, wherever you go, I'll be there no matter what. I love you and the children, but I have to do this for Harry. If something happens to me I want you to move on. Do not dwell on my memory and let it hold you back. Be happy, you deserve it.

Love always and forever,

Ron.

Ron left the house he had called home and went to Number 12 Grimmauld place to floo Dumbledore. If anyone could manipulate the situation the way it needed to be manipulated, it was Dumbledore. He was the cause of this mess and he was going to clean it up as best as he could.

Dumbledore sat at the table in the kitchen of Grimmauld place his hands folded and resting against his nose, "No, Ronald"

"What do you mean, No. You owe this to Harry and Hermione, they deserve the chance to raise their children together. Look Draco and I are going to do this with or without you"

"It cannot be done. The truth will be discovered, it always does, then what"

"Then Harry and Hermione will be happy. They should never have been split up. Never"

"It could not be avoided"

"Liar. You planned to put Harry into hiding all along, you could have taken us all away and Luna. We could have all had the lives we wanted, we could have all been happy. But you didn't want that. It is your fault that our lives were all so miserable. Yours and yours alone. You are a manipulative, conniving, arsehole"

Dumbledore said nothing. He just let Ron vent his frustrations on him. "Fine, you can do it, and I will help you"

"About time you saw it my way. I have told Hermione that we found the last Death Eater, everyone assumes it is Draco, so he has agreed to play along. I told Harry I would make things right.."

"You told Harry you were going to go into hiding?"

"No, he doesn't know anything about that, he will probably think it is a suicide mission, but I don't care"

Ron got up from the table and went to the room he used to share with Harry. The fight would be staged the following day and with in the next week, Harry and Hermione would be together.

Now Ron stood at the grave, waiting for Dumbledore to take him into hiding so that his friends could have the life they always deserved.

-->