Unofficial Portkey Archive

I Wanna Know What Love Is by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I Wanna Know What Love Is

H_HrFan

A/N: At last Chapter 3 is complete. I hope that you all enjoy it and feel compelled to write a review. I'd love to hear what you think.

Once again, this chapter has not been reviewed by anyone other than myself. Please feel free to point out any errors…and definitely feel free to leave positive reviews if you like it.

I'd like to say thanks to the people who reviewed the first chapter of this story and recommended I write about Voldemort's Defeat and Harry and Hermione finally getting together. I've had a lot of fun with this. I think this chapter is my favorite.

Thanks for reading. Take care. H_HrFan

Butterflies are Beautiful

Harry and Hermione stood motionless, her hand still held firmly against his chest as they stared at the spot where Tom Riddle had been just moments before. Harry was stunned. He could have sworn he heard him say, `it is love…and it is beautiful.' That can't be right, he thought.

Harry needed to know if he'd heard it in his mind, if Riddle had said it out loud, or if he was simply imagining it. Still staring in disbelief he said softly, "Hermione? Did you hear something?" When she didn't answer he turned to her and saw she looked just as dazed as he felt, "Hermione?"

"Wha…Harry? What was that? I thought I heard…something. What was that?" She said, her voice a reflection of her shock and a look of bewilderment on her face. She still hadn't been able to pull her eyes away from the place where Tom Riddle had stood.

"You heard it then? What did it sound like to you?" Harry asked her, his mind still trying to process what he thought he heard.

She turned her head slowly and looked at him in wonderment. "I can't have heard it right, Harry. I thought…I thought I heard him say, `it is love…and it is…beautiful?' Is that…? What did you hear? That can't be right, Harry."

"No Hermione, I heard the same thing. I just didn't believe until I heard you say it." He replied softly. "No one else will ever believe it."

He touched his forehead to hers and they fell into each other's arms. Neither of them could believe that it was over. It was so quick. It was so … bloodless. It wasn't a battle at all. It was simply a mission. Seek and destroy. No new casualties, no tirades, no fear … nothing. It had all come down to the power of their love. Now they were at peace.

Suddenly they heard voices all around them. Neither of them much cared whether the voices were friend or foe. Voldemort had been defeated and either way, the world would go on. If their love was powerful enough to stop the greatest dark wizard in the history of their world, then they knew that death would not be enough to part them. They would be together forever whether in this world or another. They hoped for the best but prepared for the worst…

"Harry. Miss Granger." They heard Dumbledore say casually as if he was passing them on the street. "It is good to see that you are both alive … and well I presume?"

When they looked at him they were not at all surprised to see the knowing look on his face. He always knew. Someday I'll have to ask him about that, thought Harry.

"Yes, sir. We're alive and well." Harry replied, speaking for the both of them. Curiosity got the best of him and he asked, "But how did you…I mean, what are you doing here? How did you know I…we were here?"

"Ah Harry. Have you not realized by now how well I know you? Would it be enough to say that I sensed that today would be the day and that you would somehow end up here face-to-face with Voldemort?"

"For now. But one day I will ask again and at that time I want a real answer." Harry warned. He needed to know just how well Dumbledore knew him. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with Hermione but he would never be comfortable if he thought Dumbledore would always be watching.

"Very good, Harry. We will talk. Are you ready to tell me what has happened here? Am I correct in assuming that Tom is dead?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes, sir. He's dead. I would very much like it if we could go someplace else though. It's been a long day and I think we both need to lie down."

"Of course, Harry. Do you have strength enough to apparate into Hogsmeade and take the secret passage into Hogwarts?" Dumbledore asked his voice etched with concern.

"Hermione?" Harry asked quietly. He gently lifted her face. It was the first time he'd really looked at her and he could see where the tears had dried around her eyes and on her cheeks. "Hermione, do you think you can apparate?" The moment the words left his mouth Hermione fell. He caught her before she could hit the ground.

Before he could say anything to Dumbledore he heard, "Portus". He looked up to find Dumbledore standing before him with a rock in his hand. "Would you like for me to carry her, Harry?" He asked.

"No. No thanks. I can do it. I have her." He replied. There was no way he was letting her go now; not even to hand her to Dumbledore.

"Hold on to her Harry be sure you both have a hand on the stone. This will take you back to Hogwarts. Madam Pomfrey can have a look at her, at you both, while we await assistance from St. Mungo's. It won't be long before word gets out that Voldemort is gone and neither of you will get rest at St. Mungo's. I will be along soon."

As Dumbledore was speaking Harry was gathering Hermione into his arms. He kissed her forehead gently, took the stone from Dumbledore and placed her hand upon it. In an instant he felt the familiar pull at his stomach and the next thing he knew he was struggling to remain standing when they landed in the infirmary.

Madam Pomfrey came bustling out of her office immediately. She had gotten used to seeing Harry in the infirmary when he was a student at Hogwarts and although three years had passed, it felt like it always had. "Before Dumbledore left he told me you might be returning here, Mister Potter. What's happened to Miss Granger?" She asked.

"She's passed out. I think she's in shock. Where can I lie her down?" Harry asked, he was already tired and the effort he was expending to carry Hermione was beginning to take its toll.

"Oh, sorry. Over here." She said as she led him to one of the empty beds. Thankfully the hospital was deserted at the moment so there would be no curious eyes watching them. "We will close off this section of the ward so the students will not know that you are here and you will not be disturbed. Mister Potter, you may choose one of the beds close by. Now that you are no longer a student I will allow you to remain close to Miss Granger."

"Thank you." He smiled at her gratefully.

Harry watched as Madam Pomfrey checked Hermione. "Everything appears to be normal. For now we'll let her rest. I will be back to check on her again. How are you Mister Potter? Is there anything that I can get for you?" She asked.

Harry replied, "No. I'm okay, thank you. If you're sure Hermione's all right, I think I'll just lay down for a bit. If I fall asleep please wake me if anything changes or if she … " Harry was asleep before he could finish his sentence.

Madam Pomfrey smiled. "Okay, Mister Potter, I'll wake you." She said softly as she quietly walked away, closing the curtain behind her.

Hermione awoke to near darkness, a soft glowing lamp the only light. She could hear someone breathing in the bed next to hers but she couldn't make out the sleeping figure. Where am I? She wondered. The curtains were drawn in a full circle so she was unable to take in the whole of her surroundings. When she was better able to see she turned once more toward the person sleeping in the room with her. The other bed was pulled up close to hers and she had only to reach out in order to pull back the sheet that covered the person's face. Not wanting to wake them she slowly, carefully pulled the sheet back. Before she could stop it a huge sigh of relief escaped her when she saw that it was Harry. Oh thank God, she thought. She wanted to wake him, to kiss him, to take comfort in him; to have him tell her it wasn't just a dream. Instead, she watched him. He appeared to be in a dreamless sleep and despite her desire to hold him there was no way she could disturb him now. She would be content to watch him forever … so long as she knew he was all right.

She rose briefly from her bed to look beyond the curtain. It took only seconds for her to realize she was back where it all began ... their Hogwarts. The realization brought a joy to her that she hadn't experienced in a long time. It felt good to be home. Her very best memories resided within these walls. This is where her life began ten years ago…with Harry.

She returned to her bed and resumed her vigil. She watched him for what felt to her like hours when sleep began to overtake her again. She laid down facing Harry and placed her hand gently over his. She didn't notice the smile of contentment that appeared on Harry's sleeping face as she closed her eyes and succumbed once again to the dreamless sleep that awaited her.

When Harry awoke the next morning he saw that Hermione had already risen. He was rising to find her when he sat abruptly back down on his bed. Voldemort's dead…dead…dead…Voldemort's dead… The words began to chase each other around in his head, swirling together, faster and faster dead…dead…dead… He grabbed his head in the hopes that it would stop the spinning.

"Harry?" Hermione called to him. She saw him sitting there holding his head, a look of shock on his face. When he didn't respond she walked over to him and touched his arm, "Harry? Harry talk to me." She tried again.

He felt something nudging his arm but it took a few moments for him to realize that it was Hermione. He looked up at her and she could see a whirlwind of emotions in his eyes. He shook his head to clear the thoughts that were racing through it so he could focus on her. Unable even to shake them away he grabbed her hand and pulled her down next to him. He looked at her again and roughly pulled her to him. He clung to her as he began to cry. Her arms were pressed against her sides preventing her from wrapping them around him so she did nothing but let him cry. She would wait until he was ready.

"It's really over Hermione?" His voice was hoarse and he could barely talk around the lump that was lodged in his throat. "Tell me it's really over."

His arms were still tight around her. Unable to put her arms around him she turned her face to his, kissed him gently on the cheek, and nestled her head against his neck. "It's really over Harry. It's really over." She whispered through the lump that was now forming in her throat.

He loosened his grip and pulled away so he could look into her eyes. She took advantage of the moment and placed her arms loosely around his neck. She looked deeply into his eyes and said it a little louder, "It's really over Harry."

With tears still threatening to fall he looked at her with the most beautiful smile she'd ever seen; the tears making his eyes glisten. The love she felt for him in that moment caused her heart to swell. The tightening in her chest was so overwhelming that she began to laugh and cry at the same time thus relieving some of the tension. She looked at him and saw that he was laughing too, and the tears that had been threatening to fall had finally let go. She tightened her arms around his neck and they clung to each other; neither of them wanting to let go.

After what seemed an eternity he heard Hermione whisper, "Will you be all right now Harry? Are you ready to talk?" She felt him nod his head. "I'm here. I'll always be here." She pulled away from him so she could watch him. Her hand rested on his but she didn't pressure him, she didn't encourage him…she just waited.

Harry took a deep breath and tried to formulate his words in his mind before he spoke. "It's just…its been nineteen years Hermione. Nineteen! I…I don't know how to live my life. I don't know what to do. What do I do?"

"You know I love you Harry. Don't you?"

"Yes." He answered softly.

She placed her hand on his face and gently caressed his cheek, "You trust me, right? You know I'd never do anything to hurt you?"

"Yes." He said again pressing his cheek into her hand, his eyes never leaving the floor.

"Look at me Harry. I need to know that you can hear me…and that you believe." She pulled his chin up urging him to look into her eyes. "Please, Harry. Just look at me."

When he raised his eyes she saw within their depths a lost, scared little boy and her heart broke for him. He doesn't deserve this, she thought. For nineteen years he'd been cursed and haunted by Voldemort and his minions and now that the dark wizard had been defeated Harry deserved peace; and so much more.

"Harry listen to me. This is what you…no, what we're going to do. We are going to get married. We are going to have a family…we'll have as many children as you want. We are going to wake up next to each other every morning thankful that we are together. We are going to make love under the stars and watch the sun rise wrapped tightly in each other's arms. Some day we'll watch our great-great grandchildren play in the sand or catch the Hogwart's Express." The lump had returned to her throat and she had to take a deep breath before continuing. "Harry, what I'm really trying to say is…we are going to LIVE. Just live…as long as we're together we won't need any more than that. We know our love is strong. We don't have to look beyond the events of yesterday to know the depths. Trust in us Harry. Believe." She looked at him with a mixture of hope and sadness.

"I do…I will." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before he continued, "I'll try Hermione. I do love you and I want all those things just like you do but I'm not going to lie to myself or to you…it won't be easy to just forget what I've been through. I want to, but its been a part of me for so long that it's going to take time. Right now I feel like I'll always be looking over my shoulder; if not for Voldemort then for the next lunatic who decides to take his place. Your love is what keeps me together. It makes me strong. If there is anything in this world that will get me through this it's knowing how much you love me…and how much I love you. You are my everything."

Hermione smiled, "Thank you, Harry."

"For what Hermione? I'm the one who should be thanking you." Harry said, her words having taken him by surprise.

Hermione laughed and shook her head, "I thank you for a lot of things Harry. I thank you for being my friend…my best friend. For putting up with me all these years…I know I can be difficult. For being who you are…there is not a more beautiful person in this world Harry. You're the ultimate package. Your beauty comes from the inside and radiates outward. I've never met anyone with such a capacity for love, and knowing where you've come from and what you've been through, that says a lot for who you are. But most of all Harry I thank you for loving me."

Harry moved his hand to her pull her to him and he kissed her. He leaned in and pulled her tighter. She wrapped her arms around him in an effort to get closer so she could deepen the kiss. His tongue touched her lips and she allowed him entrance, the moment his tongue met hers tiny sparks exploded within them. Their pace became frenzied as they put all their emotions into that one moment. Each wanting the other to know exactly what they were feeling. He laid her back on the bed and began to twist her hair around his fingers, never breaking the passionate kiss they shared. Hermione ran her hands along his back and moaned softly into his mouth. Harry pulled back and looked at her, his eyes heavy with desire. He could have her now. There was nothing left to keep her from him, he leaned in again…

"Harry? Miss Granger? May I come in?" Dumbledore called from the other side of the curtain.

So much for nothing keeping her from me… Harry thought bitterly. He took a deep breath and looked at Hermione before he answered, "Yes sir. You may come in."

When Dumbledore walked in and found them both lying on Harry's bed he smiled. "So good to see that you are finally awake. I checked on you several times throughout the night and you both appeared to be sleeping peacefully. A remarkable feat considering the events of yesterday. How are you feeling today?"

A knowing smile passed between them and they both answered, "Fine. We're fine, sir."

"Please, after all we've been through call me Albus. No need for formalities among friends." He looked at Harry and said, "I do hope, Harry, that we can be friends?"

"Yes, Albus. We've always been friends."

"Very good, very good. I wonder Harry if I might have a word with you in private. Do you mind Miss…Hermione? It is all right if I call you that?"

"Yes, it's all right and no I don't mind if you talk to Harry." She answered. "Harry, I'm going to talk to Dobby to see if I can get you some food. You really do need to eat. I'll be back soon." She leaned forward to kiss him and rose quickly from the bed and departed; leaving Harry and Albus to talk.

Harry sat up and asked, "What is it you need Albus? What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Harry," he began, "yesterday you asked me how I always know where you are and what you are feeling. Now that Voldemort has been defeated I am prepared to answer that question. Do you feel you are ready to hear the answer?"

When Harry nodded Dumbledore began his story, "Nineteen years ago when Voldemort killed your parents you know that the spell rebounded on him and it nearly destroyed your home. There were charms placed upon the house so we knew immediately when it happened. By the time we arrived however, we were too late. We thought that we'd lost you all. I did not know at the time that you were the answer to the prophecy; it was not until we heard you cry that night that I knew you were the one. You see Harry, there are approximately 24 hours in your life which as of yet are unaccounted for. We removed you from the house the night of October 31st but you were not delivered to your aunt and uncle until the early morning hours of November 2nd. I kept you with me during that time. I examined your scar and determined that one day it may be a gateway for Voldemort to get to you. For your protection I placed charms upon you and forged a connection between us. This connection would allow me to monitor both your whereabouts and your feelings. So no one would be the wiser, I entrusted Hagrid to deliver you to me at the home of your relatives."

"You mean…you mean you can feel what I feel? Is this…all the time? When I'm with Hermione, you can feel that?" Harry's anger was growing. He felt…violated.

"No, Harry. I cannot feel what you feel when you are with Miss Granger. The charms I placed on you allow me to find you anywhere but they are tuned to negative emotions such as anger and hate...and fear. Those are the emotions that Voldemort thrives on and those are the ones I feel. It is how I knew that you fought Voldemort for the Sorcerer's Stone, that you'd found the Chamber of Secrets, and that you were fighting once again at the Department of Mysteries. The only thing that prevented me from coming to you was your lack of fear. In all these years there is only one time that I felt your fear and that was at the Department of Mysteries and that is why I appeared. I do hope Harry that one day you can forgive me. I do not regret what I have done but I must apologize for not being able to tell you sooner. I feared that if I told you, you and Miss Granger would find a way to block it and I could not afford to lose sight of you." Dumbledore looked at Harry, his eyes asking for forgiveness.

"So what happens now?" Harry asked, not quite ready to offer his forgiveness.

Not knowing whether the battle was truly over Dumbledore took a deep breath before he continued, "That is up to you, Harry. When Voldemort was defeated his Death Eaters vanished. No one knows where they have disappeared to. They could have shared their master's fate or they could have gone into hiding. It is up to you to decide if you are ready for me to remove the link or if you would like to wait until we can determine what has happened with the Death Eaters in the event they are a threat to you in the future."

"Let me think about this. I'd like to talk to Hermione. She's always been my voice of reason." Harry replied. Knowing Dumbledore was thinking only of his best interest he found himself edging closer to the forgiveness that Dumbledore had asked for.

"Harry, you have done a great deed for our world. Is there anything that we can now do for you?" Dumbledore asked, the twinkle in his eyes returning if only for the moment.

"Take me to the Mirror of Erised. Let me show you." Harry said softly.

Dumbledore winked. "Let us go then, shall we?" He said, a smile playing around the corners of his mouth.

He led Harry to the mirror and watched as he stood in front of it. "Tell me what I see Albus. I know you know."

Dumbledore once again took a deep breath before he answered, "If I'm not mistaken Harry you now see your family as faded images; blurred in the background. Your desire for them will always live within you so they will never truly disappear when you look into the mirror. However, you can clearly see yourself standing side by side with Hermione…and your children."

Harry could not bring himself to be surprised by Dumbledore's answer, "Yes, Albus. That is exactly what I see. Are you sure your only in touch with my negative emotions? How is it that you can know so precisely what I see?"

Dumbledore smiled when he answered, "One only has to see the way you look at her to know what is in your heart, Harry. I do not need magic to see how much you love her."

"I want to marry her." Harry said suddenly. "Three years ago we acknowledged our love for each other. We were walking around the lake here at Hogwarts. It is in that place that I want to marry her and I would like to do it as soon as possible. Is there any way to make it happen? I don't want a lot of people there. Just her parents, the Weasleys…and you." Harry looked at the man who had always been like a grandfather to him and with his next question he'd broken the last remaining barrier to forgiveness, "Would you marry us?"

Dumbledore's eyes shone with unshed tears as he stepped forward and pulled Harry into a hug. "I would be honored, Harry. It will be my greatest achievement."

The wedding was small, just as Harry and Hermione had requested. They stood in the spot where they had declared their love more than three years ago and when they kissed it felt like the first time all over again. Harry looked into her eyes and knew that as long as this beautiful woman was in his life…everything would be all right. Nothing mattered beyond her; not the charms, not Ron's pouting over not being there for Voldemort's defeat, not the Death Eaters…nothing.

He could give himself over to her completely now.

~Later that night~

Harry and Hermione were finally alone. They were on their honeymoon and this time there was no one within a five mile radius to disturb them.

They had waited more than three years for this moment. They'd dreamed of it. Now they were nervous, wondering how high the others' expectations were; neither of them wanting to disappoint.

They stood facing each other. Both scared to make the first move. Hermione spent those three years frustrated with herself for making that promise to Harry and now, when the time had finally come…she didn't have the slightest idea what to do. She took a moment to appreciate the fact that Harry didn't know either; that thought making her smile.

When Harry saw her smile he took a tentative step forward and put his arms out toward her; inviting her in. She stepped into his arms and after a moment's hesitation they fell back into their old pattern…well, sort of. This time he kissed her with a passion she'd never felt before. Everything he felt for her was contained within that kiss and released directly into her soul. Her knees weakened and when she moaned against his mouth he hardened the kiss. She had to break the kiss before her legs refused to hold her. She reluctantly stepped back from him and felt an immediate sense of loss when the pressure from his lips was gone from hers.

Gathering her courage she reached out to him and began pulling his shirt over his head. He's beautiful, she thought. The look on her face gave him the courage to do the same. He removed her shirt and tossed it to the floor next to his own. Expecting to make love to her husband that night, Hermione hadn't bothered with putting on a bra. She turned a pale shade of red when she saw the way Harry was looking at her. She wasn't used to such scrutiny and it made her nervous. She moved to put her arms across her body when Harry stopped her, "Don't Hermione. Just let me look at you. You…are so…beautiful." That pale shade of red was quickly deepening to a darker shade. She looked at his face and in her nervousness she was unable to hold back the laugh that had been threatening to escape her.

Her laughter was contagious and Harry found himself laughing as well. This was the only mystery remaining between them and at the rate they were going, it would remain a mystery for a good long while.

The laughter calmed their nerves and Hermione reached for Harry's pants, removing them and dropping them to floor with their shirts. He stood in his boxers waiting for his chance to reciprocate. There seemed to be a pattern forming as article for article they undressed each other. The last of their clothing gone, they took a moment to appreciate each other.

Harry looked at her, taking in every inch of her beauty. He hadn't touched her yet, for now he wanted to admire her. Hermione did the same. Every part of him was magnificent and she was ready to make a move toward him when his sharp intake of breath stopped her. She saw him staring at her and she followed his gaze to a spot a few inches south and to the right of her belly button. Hermione smiled and giggled softly at his expression…she'd forgotten they were there.

"Hermione, what is that? Is that a tattoo?"

"What does it look like Harry? What do you think it is?" She asked trying not to laugh at his expression.

He took a closer look and in mild confusion he said, "Well, it looks…it looks like…like … butterflies. It looks like butterflies and…and they're moving."

"It's enchanted. When I get nervous or excited and the butterflies in my stomach start flying, the butterflies in the tattoo do too. I got them just after graduation. I wanted to surprise you. I didn't realize it would be three years before…well, you know. After all this time I sort of forgot they were there." She looked down and saw their wings fluttering rapidly. There were two of them each about an inch in diameter, one flying a little lower then the other.

Still confused, he said, "But…I mean…why butterflies? They're beautiful, but I just…I've never heard you talk about butterflies."

She smiled mischievously as she answered, "Harry, do you remember in second year when you and Ron had to follow the spiders?" He nodded. "Well, I still remember thinking how funny it was when you told me Ron said, `Follow the spiders? Follow the spiders? Why can't it be follow the butterflies or something.' She said in her best Ron imitation.

Harry laughed. "Okay, yeah, I remember. But that doesn't explain the tattoo, not really."

Hermione sighed and rolled her eyes. He's hopeless, she thought.

"Well Harry. You see, I…I…well I…," she was beginning to stammer and the color in her cheeks began to deepen. She hadn't noticed the sudden look of comprehension that appeared on Harry's face. He knew now what she was trying to say but he was enjoying watching her squirm too much to let her know just yet. Without looking at him she cleared her throat, took a deep breath and tried again, "Okay Harry, here goes…I had hoped that one day…that you could…well, that some day you would…. Oh Harry, don't make me say it…" She raised her hands up to her face to hide her embarrassment.

Harry felt she'd had enough so he reached up to pull her hands down. He took both of her hands into one of his own and cupped her face with the other. He lifted her head, gently forcing her to look at him. When she finally looked into his eyes she could see his love for her reflected in their deep green depths. He smiled and in a voice full of desire he said, "You want me to follow the butterflies, `Mione?"

She looked deep into his eyes, wanting him to feel her love for him as deeply as she could feel his. Then she smiled the most beautiful smile he'd ever seen, and in an impish voice she said, "I had hoped you would."

End

Thanks again. I hope you enjoyed it.

-->