Unofficial Portkey Archive

Faith - The Revised Edition by RogueBHS
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Faith - The Revised Edition

RogueBHS

*Faith*

Chapter 4, "Without Question"

By: RogueBHS

Author Notes: *blushing* I swear, Portkey readers are spoiling me! 8 reviews in the first 24 hrs after I posted the last chapter. WOW! There's only one other story I've gotten that kind of response on, and it was my X-men Evolution fiction on FF.net. I think I have one reviewer for this on FF.net, and she's a fellow author there! LOL. But oh well. Thank you, yet again, to all my readers on Portkey. You guys are the best! *smile*

Oh…and to anyone who hates the waiting on my chapters (since I'm updating like once a month) - Blame "The Sims 2" game! Too damn addictive, and my favorite way to unwind. *innocent look*

Notice: Yahoo's Metric Converter calculated all metric values. Any values that are wrong, I apologize ahead of time for. I will be posting the American equivalent in parenthesis at all times.

Also: If you see a lowercase letter in double parenthesis like this: ((a)), that means there is an Author note about that area of the chapter at the bottom. This is primarily for spells and such. Numbers in a double parenthesis are used to indicate songs when used in a chapter. Look at the end of the chapter for listings of such things.

Main Characters: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, Albus Dumbledore, Sabine Kington (OC), Minerva McGonagall, Remus Lupin and others…like Voldemort for instance. ;)

Couples: Ron/Hermione, Ginny/Draco, Dumbledore/McGonagall (hinted mostly), Harry/Hermione, Lavender/Ron/Luna and others.

Full Plot Summary: Most would think that with the OWLs over and done with, and NEWTS not being taken until the next school year, that Harry Potter would have an easy 6th year. But when you add up the loss of his godfather, the weight of the prophecy, harder classes, girl trouble, and the ever-looming threat of Voldemort and his followers…not to mention a changing group of friends, Harry's 6th year may well be the hardest yet. Oh yes…did I mention being ladies man???? (*giggle*)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 4, "Without Question"

Word of Ron and Hermione's break up spread like wildfire through the school, and by the time breakfast was finished the next morning, everyone knew. And the reactions were almost all the same; relief. For the male students, it meant that Hermione was free again…though it seemed so far that day that Harry was bound and determined to keep other guys away from her. Any time he caught someone staring at her, he'd glare at them till they relented and turned their attention elsewhere. Some speculated that if it weren't for the fact that he'd get a hell of a tongue lashing (if not more), Harry would have even followed her into the girls' bathroom in order to keep her away from hurtful gossip. Which was, in all reality, pretty much true. But to girls, the breakup meant that Ron was free again. And he was certainly making the rounds. By the time that lunch rolled around, he had already flirted with at least half a dozen girls, and made a date to meet another girl in Hogsmeade when the first weekend was scheduled.

Even the teachers were talking about the breakup, all of them hoping that perhaps now things between the three would settle down again. The fights and near-fights between Harry and Ron had set everyone on edge, wondering when one would push the other past the point where they could keep themselves from seriously injuring them. But now, with Hermione no longer between them, most hoped that Harry and Ron could set their issues aside and let their friendship get back to what it had been.

________________________________________________________________________

Dinner, that night, Hermione's POV -

From my spot closer to the door, I can hear whispers all around me, and feel the weight of the stares I'm attracting. And it's been like this since breakfast, much to my annoyance. Granted, people are being careful about letting me hear what they're saying. That, however, has a good deal to do with the guy sitting next to me. Harry's eyes are scanning the room carefully, and I know he's staring down a few of the other students, because the feeling of being stared at lessens just a bit. Then his eyes slide to me, worry evident in his features. So, for his sake as much as anything else, I smile. Ok, so it didn't fool him, but I didn't really think that it would. He knows me well enough to realize I'm not enjoying this attention I'm getting. And vise versa, really. Because with the way he's been hanging around me, I know people are wondering if Harry really is why I broke up with Ron. Though I'll admit that there is some truth to that idea. A girl can't kiss her best friend who she's had a crush on for years and just go walking back to her boyfriend. Not when the best friend is someone like Harry, I mean.

Next to me, I hear him mumbling something under his breath, just loud enough for me to hear, but soft enough for others to ignore. Curious, I turn my head just enough to better hear what he's saying, and get a small shock.

"The world never ends
It's only the beginning
And we can't pretend
To discover it's meaning
We talked for hours at a time
Then I came to my senses
You're more than a friend
You're my perfect lover

I'll never be all you want me to
But that's all right …." (1)

He wasn't just saying that though, even if the words were a big enough shock to me. Harry…my Harry was singing. I never realized he could sing. Granted, with as soft as he's doing so now, its hard for me to appreciate the voice. Pretending to be interested in my plate again, I continue listening, wondering where he heard this song.

"I'm gonna make you love me
I'm gonna dry your tears
And we're gonna stay together
For a million years

It's the least I can do
Just to make you my baby
No words could describe
Oh, pinch me I'm dreaming …" (1)

Then, as if he realized what he was doing, he shook his head and stopped suddenly, much to my disappointment. His eyes lift again, and he glances around, checking to see if anyone was listening to him. And when those green eyes fall on me again, I can practically feel him relax. So he assumes I didn't hear…hmm. I can't imagine why he'd want to keep it a secret, really, especially from me, but if that's what he wants, that's what he'll get. He glances around yet again, then this times, leans towards me after he finishes his scan of the room.

"Lets get out of here." He smirks at me as he whispers that near my ear. "Otherwise Ron is going to be regretting the way he's sitting over there looking so damn superior."

I glance at him, abandoning the pretense of eating as I nod. "I was hoping you'd suggest that sooner rather than later."

His smirk widens into a soft smile as he stands up, extending his hand to me in an offer to help me up. I slide my hand into his, grabbing my book from the seat next to me as I stand as well. The whispers in the Great Hall grow in volume just a bit as people realize we're leaving, and as we walk out of the double doors, I can feel Ron's gaze practically boring a hole in the back of my skull. Beside me, Harry clenches his jaw, and keeps almost looking over his shoulder into the hall, fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. Amused with his protectiveness, I reach over, grabbing one of his hands in mine.

"Come on," I tell him, leading him towards the doors that exit to the school grounds. "Hagrid wasn't at dinner." I glance up at him, smiling. "Lets go see what he's doing, ok?"

He glances at me, surprised, then nods. "That sounds like a good idea."

A few moments later, after the doors have shut behind us and we're far enough away from the school for his liking, Harry slips his hand out of mine. Curious, I look at him, only to feel myself being pulled closer to him, followed by his arm wrapping around my waist.

"Much better," he whispers, those green eyes of his now focused on me as a smile crosses his lips.

Sighing softly, I lean my head against his shoulder as we walk, enjoying the feeling of strength that he seems to radiate these days. And I can't help but wonder what on earth I'd do without him. Ron was and is my antagonist…to a certain extent. No matter how hard he really tries to be my protector. For that is Harry's roll. Since the day we met on the train, Harry's the one who thinks of me first…he's the one who's first reaction is to protect me, even if he has no idea how to do so, he'll try. And if he gets hurt himself? That's simply a necessary byproduct of the situation, and he'll take that over me getting hurt any day.

Ok, sure…he yelled at me a lot last year, but after four years of bottling up a lot of what he's been feeling, on top of the fact that it seemed like no one wanted to be honest with him about what was going on, he needed to get that out of his system. Granted this complete 180 of his is still surprising. Everyone expected to be seeing a repeat of last year, with a good deal of depression thrown in after the death of Sirius and all. Yet here he is; he's fit, he's healthy…he's actually acting like a teenage boy for the most part. And that's something he's never been able to be before.

"Mione?"

I hear the worry in his tone and look up, startled out of my thoughts. "Oh…sorry about that." Against my will, I feel the hints of a blush spread across my cheeks. "Just lost in thought."

His smile returns, and he hugs me to him for a brief moment. "That I can believe." He pauses, then glances back down at me. "Can I ask what you were thinking about?"

The blush remains as I duck my head and mutter, "You."

He stops walking, turning to face me now. "Me? You were thinking about me?"

I nod, then chance looking up at him, only to find surprise etched on his face. "Yes, you."

"Ok…" Still surprised, he runs a hand through his hair, then frowns. "What about me, exactly?"

"Just you in general." I smile. "How you're always there to protect me, no matter what…things like that."

He returns my smile, pulling me to him again, but this time, I slide my arms around his neck. "Well, you've protected me too, you know."

I raise an eyebrow, still smiling. "Oh have I now?"

"Yup." He nods once, eyes shining as he looks at me. "I believe at least once a year, in fact."

More content than I care to let on, I let out another soft sigh, and then close my eyes, setting my head back against his shoulder. He seems to not mind, and instead, starts sliding his fingers through my hair. It's been ages since anyone, my parents included, did such a thing, and I suppose that has something to do with my reaction to him. Because instead of staying quiet, the feeling of his nails light scraping over my scalp, then the tips of his fingers sliding over the same spot, soothing any hurt has me quite literally purring softly. But he doesn't stop. Instead, he chuckles lightly, and I can tell he's smiling at me again. I don't think I'll ever be sure just how long we stood there, enjoying just being close, but when he whispered near my ear that we really needed to be getting back inside, I know I pouted.

"Mione," he said softly, cupping my chin gently in his hand, the hints of a smile still lingering on his lips. "Keep pouting like that and I'm going to kiss you, then we'll be getting in way after curfew, and that really won't be good for either of us."

The idea of him kissing me again has me considering if it would be worth the punishment, but he laughs, and tugs me towards the doors before I have a chance to delay him. "Maybe another time, hmm?"

I look up at him, then smile when I see the way his eyes seem so bright and full of life. "Another time," I agree, moving forward and brushing a kiss over his cheek as a way of making it a promise.

"Now…" he whispered, then pulled me away from the castle again, and into an area so dark I couldn't even see him standing a few inches away from me. But sight no longer mattered when he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. Merlin…he shouldn't be allowed to kiss like this…I mean, how's a girl supposed to get her bearings when he's kissing her senseless? Ron certainly never kissed me like this…never made me loose track of time and space. And Ron definitely never made me feel like I was the only girl who mattered to him at that moment when he kissed me. Harry does that and so much more. So it's no surprise when I arc into him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I hear him make some sort of sound low in his throat when I arc into him, and the idea that perhaps he enjoyed it has me smiling as we kiss. Ok…you know…this thinking thing that I normally believe is so great…totally over rated. Mmm…that's it Harry…keep me from thinking…

________________________________________________________________________

The clock was just striking the eleventh hour when two students crept in through the main doors, though to anyone who watched, all they would have seen was the great door opening and closing. The portraits that lined the hall whispered in their frames, wondering just who would be sneaking in at such an hour, and why they'd take the time to conceal themselves unless they were up to something. And rather than risk it being an intruder on the grounds, one of the people in the portraits through the other paintings, alerting Professor McGonagall who was out making rounds. Curious, she bustled down two flights of stairs, and then stopped when she reached the landing of the main staircase. There was no one in sight, but through the advanced senses of her Animagus form, she could vaguely smell the two who were trying to creep by her at that very second.

"Potter, Granger…just what are you doing up at this hour?"

Caught, Harry lowered the cloak from around himself and Hermione, looking sheepishly towards McGonagall. "We were just out for a walk, Professor," Harry fibbed, praying that McGonagall wouldn't catch the lie.

That, however, was a wasted prayer in this case. Even without the square-rimmed spectacles sitting a little low on the bridge of her nose, she would have noticed the flushed cheeks, swollen lips and tousled hair both sported. And after as many years of living as she had behind her, she knew perfectly well that any walking the two had done was only what was necessary to get a reasonable distance from the view of the castle windows. But rather than call them on it, she merely quirked an eyebrow and said, "Walking indeed."

Hermione blushed furiously, and instinctively turned to Harry to hide her face. The sheepish look was still on his face, but he wrapped a protective arm around Hermione when she moved to him, pulling her closer, despite the presence of McGonagall.

Sighing, the Transfiguration professor turned sharply on her heel, motioning for Harry to follow her. "Come on, you two. Its past time for you to have returned to the tower."

Relieved at the lack of a lecture, Harry folded up his Invisibility cloak and tucked it into his school robes, then slid his arm back around Hermione as they followed McGonagall up the stairs. The trek back to Gryffindor tower was quiet, and it wasn't until the portrait hole was open and the two students were about to head inside that the professor spoke.

"I'm docking Gryffindor ten points each for your outing, you two."

When Harry and Hermione turned, McGonagall gave the barest hint of a smile. "So I do hope the walk was worth the punishment."

The fact that they had gotten off more than lightly didn't register at all. Instead, they focused on the fact that, apparently, Professor McGonagall wasn't nearly as upset about their being out of bed as she'd like them to think.

It wasn't until after the portrait hole closed behind them that Professor Snape stepped from the shadows nearby, casting a glance at McGonagall. "It seems Potter is more like his father than we thought."

The words needed no interpretation, and Minerva let her gaze wonder back to the portrait the duo had passed through. "Perhaps," she conceded, then looked directly at her fellow professor. "But I believe he had a good dose of his mother in him as well."

________________________________________________________________________

Room of Requirement, next evening -

"I thought I might find you here."

The voice had Harry's head jerking up suddenly from the notebook he was bent over, and his green eyes snapped to the figure standing innocently in front of the door. "Ginny," he said in relief. "For a second I thought you were Hermione."

"Not that you'd mind her interrupting you I'm sure," Ginny said with a grin, moving further into the room, then sitting down in a chair the room conjured next to Harry's.

He raised an eyebrow at her comment, curious. "And just what is that supposed to mean?"

"That I rather noticed the fact that you two got in very late last night…And I heard McGonagall saying something about a walk, punishment, and hoping the walk was worth it or something of the sort." Ginny waved her hand dismissively, then settled her brown eyes on him. "Care to explain that, anyway?"

Harry rolled his eyes, then smirked at her. "No."

Smiling, Ginny shrugged. "Had to ask." Her eyes glanced towards the notebook he had been writing in. "Working on another song?"

"Yeah," he said, glad for the change of subject. "Its not finished, but…"

"What's this one about?" she asked, pulling the notebook towards her to read what he had written.

"Last year," he said simply, glancing down at the rather depressing lyrics for himself.

"He said he's falling to pieces
Fighting the boy and the man
Over his shoulder there was freedom
But consciousness has tied his hands


Embodied youth was his distinction
Now inhibition's in demand
So driven by his fear of weakness
That's his key to understand


So far in a distant land
There's a fight between boy and man
See the light through the open door
Sit and watch as the young grow old


Trading places in the circle
Turn the glass, spill the sand
They say that time can make the difference
But age doesn't make you a man
So far in a distant land


There's a fight between boy and man
See the light through the open door
Sit and watch as the young grow old


So young but overblown
So young but overblown
So young but overblown


Take a look now, see the boy is weakened
Watch him fade, watch him fade away
Take a bow and the boy is defeated
Is this the way, this the way?


So far in a distant land
There's a fight between boy and man
See the light through the open door
Sit and watch as the young grow old" (2)

It was a few moments after she had finished reading before Ginny found her voice again, and when she did, she looked up at him again. "I thought you said it wasn't finished."

"I haven't gotten the music for it done, I mean," he said while flipping backward in the book a few pages. He glanced at her, then pointed to the page with a grin. "I wrote this one for you."

"Oh?" Extremely curious, she bent her head over the book again, reading the lyrics to a song he had titled simply 'Sister.' When she finished again, she raised her head, a hint of a smile forming on her lips. "I like it."

"I figured you'd understand what I was getting at if you read it."

"Of course." She smiled, but any further conversation was cut short when Hermione pushed the door open abruptly.

"Oh." Hermione seemed too surprised at finding them alone in the room together to say much else, but then her eyes spotted the notebook laying open between them on the desk, and she frowned. She'd seen Harry writing in it many times that year when he thought no one was looking, and had wondered when he'd share its contents with her. The fact that he shared it with Ginny first stung, and that, more than anything, caused her to add more bite to her tone than she might have otherwise. "Well you two look comfy."

Recognizing the look in her eyes, Ginny rolled her eyes. "Harry's just helping me with some stuff, Hermione." She glanced at Harry, pushing the notebook back at him, which he snatched off of the desk, his eyes still glued to Hermione.

And though it was likely somewhat foolish, Ginny stood, then kissed Harry on the cheek only seconds before sending a somewhat challenging glance at Hermione. Harry picked up on Ginny's purpose, and swatted her on the butt, drawing a surprised look from her.

"Mind your own business, Weaslette." His eyes settled on Hermione again. "And I'd recommend you go…I need to have a talk with Hermione."

Ginny rolled her eyes, but headed for the door anyway. Before closing the door, she glanced over her shoulder at him, smirking. "Be good, big brother, or I'll have to be a tattle tale."

The door was shut before Harry could answer her, and he shook his head in amusement. Sighing, he slid his notebook of songs into his bag, then glanced up at Hermione, then gestured at the seat Ginny had just vacated. "Come here."

She seemed to realize that it wasn't a request, and slid into the chair, never letting her eyes settle on him. Instead, she kept her gaze focused on the door, much to his annoyance.

"Hermione," he said, then again more forcefully when she didn't look his way. When that too failed, he scooted his chair around in front of her, blocking her view of the door, then reached out and grasped her chin gently in his hand. "Mione…please. Don't do this."

Pouting, she finally raised her eyes to his, and he was mildly shocked by the hurt look she gave him. "Aww…Mione…come on. Please…I can't stand it when you look at me like that. So just tell me what I did wrong now and what I have to do to make it up to you, ok?" He pleaded, his green eyes filling with emotion of their own…one Hermione didn't quite recognize. And that, perhaps, was a factor in her choice to answer him honestly.

"What are you hiding, Harry?" She queried, brown eyes begging him to tell her. "I mean…you're always scribbling away in that notebook…and on top of that…its like…there's something deeper…something else that you just won't tell me about. And I hate it!" She sighed, then reached out, sliding her hand over the rough texture of his cheek; evidently he likely hadn't shaved for a day or two. "You normally talk to me…especially when it's something important. So why not now? What's changed?"

"Nothing's changed, Mione. The notebook…well…its…I didn't even intend to share it with Ginny…but she caught me with it open one day in here, and started reading it before I could put it up. I plan on sharing it with you…just…not now, ok? I need to work on it some more…its anything but finished." At her nod, he continued before she could interrupt. "As for the other…the deeper thing I won't tell you…" He rubbed a hand over his eyes, not knowing what to say. "I can't even deal with it myself, right now. And I know if I tell you about it, you'll worry about me more than you already do." He lifted his gaze to hers. "I can't burden you like that. Merlin…we're 16 years old, and I don't think either of us has had an even slightly normal past few years, even by Wizarding standards." Frowning, he stood up and started to pace the room, unable to get out the words he needed. "I can't…Damn it…" A hand raked through his messy hair, standing a good deal of it on end. "Mione…please. I can't do this. I…"

His plea was cut short when she laid a finger over his lips, silencing him. He hadn't even noticed her getting out of the chair or moving towards him, which to her was a sign of how distressed he was over this. And so she switched modes, going from interrogation to caring in a blink of an eye.

"Harry, if you can't tell me all of it, then I'll find a way to understand. But maybe I can help you. That's all I want to do…help you. I'm not asking for you to tell me every last secret you have. I'm just asking that you let me help you get through problems other than those that have to do with Voldemort."

Harry's eyes met hers directly. "Right now…he's the source of just about every problem I've got…including the biggest one of all."

"So…this thing, this big thing you're not telling me…it has to do with him?"

Harry nodded, and with a thought, the chair he had been sitting in before changed into a couch identical to the one he had made out with Hermione on not but two nights ago. Sitting down, he looked up at her as she moved towards him again. "It has to do with me, and him and Dumbledore and just about every other person in the whole fucking wizarding world. And its about ready to eat me alive."

"Harry…" she sighed, then kneeled down in front of him, gently setting her hands on his knees. "Please. Maybe…maybe if you tell me, it won't."

The pleading look she gave him was his undoing, and he leaned forward, taking her hands in his as he prepared to share with her the information that had changed his life forever from the moment he heard it barely 6 months ago.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not…And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives…The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…"

His voice was hollow, empty of emotion, as he finished repeating those words, and he almost regretted saying them as soon as they left his tongue. But then he found himself knocked back into the couch, his lap suddenly filled with a warm body. Hermione's arms were around his neck barely half a second later, and he could feel a tear hit his shoulder where his robes and the t-shirt he had on underneath didn't cover. She pulled back from the intense hug, cinnamon and honey eyes staring into his, while tears glistened in the corners of them.

"Oh Harry…" she whispered, bringing one hand around to slide over his cheek. "It always happens to you, doesn't it?"

Because she needed it, he forced a hint of a smile. "I'm getting used to it, I think…being the one everything happens to I mean."

She shook her head, then leaned forward, resting her forehead against his. "You'll get through this, you know," she stated simply, still speaking softly. "Too many people need you here. There's no way fate would let you be the one to…" Hermione choked before she got the word 'die' out, unable to voice the possibility, no matter how real it might be. "Well, you know."

His arms slid around her waist as he looked at her, his expression loosing all traces of amusement it had held for her benefit. "I don't care about all those people who need some sort of a hero, Mione. Maybe its callous, but I don't. They'll never know me, ever. To them, and a good deal of the Wizarding world, I'll always be the Boy Who Lived."

The barest hint of a smile curved her lips, even as another tear slid down her cheek. "Maybe so. But to me, and the Weasleys, and Dumbledore and Remus…you'll always be Harry…just Harry." There was a pause, and she pulled back, searching his eyes for a hint of his feelings before continuing. "My Harry."

Something in the way she called him 'her Harry,' had him smiling. "Your Harry?" he questioned, snuggling her closer to him, needing the simple comfort she was offering more than he'd admit. "So now I'm your Harry?"

She nodded, fighting the blush that started to spread its way over her face and down her neck. "Unless you mind…"

He shook his head, then rested his forehead against hers, his green eyes watching her. "I don't mind." A slow grin crept across his lips. "So long as you're my Mione."

"Of course," she stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "One question…"

"Hmm?"

"This…prophecy…" she paused, giving him a look that said she hated bringing it up. "It says you have a power he knows not…do you…"

"No." Sighing, he slid a hand through his hair. "I don't know what it is. I think Dumbledore does, but he's hoping I'll figure it out for myself."

Hermione leaned into him a bit more and went quiet, the look on her face one that Harry always associated with her solving a problem. A few moments later, she looked up at him, face full of determination. "I want to talk to Dumbledore myself."

"What?"

"Well its your power isn't it?" Hermione queried. "You've got a right to know what it is, and he should tell you. Or at least give you a hint."

"He did say that whatever this power is that I have, is also held in a room in the Department of Mysteries. Its both more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human nature or forces of nature. And its supposed to be the most mysterious of the subjects that's studied there." (a)

Hermione's eyes went wide. "More wonderful and terrible than death, forces of nature or human nature? How is that possible?"

Harry pulled her back to him, then rested his head against hers. "I don't know, Mione. But I've got to find out."

________________________________________________________________________

A/N: This is my shortest chapter for this story yet, but I just can't see the point in making this update be in June when I can post this now. Part of the reason for the shortness is my muse is working hard on my new story, "Divinity Forensis," a HP/Underworld cross over of sorts. As soon as DF has a new chapter, this will again too. So keep an eye out! Oh yeah…Divinity Forensis is ONLY on Portkey, as FF.net has given me so many problems lately. Sorry!

(a) - That is actually part of Dumbledore's speech about the prophecy. The full thing can be found in Ch. 37 "The Lost Prophecy", Pg. 843 (US Edition), towards the bottom of the page.

(1) - "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" by The Jayhawks (Can be found on Dawson's Creek soundtrack 2)

(2) - "Young Grow Old" by Creed (Unknown CD)

ALSO, Coming up in future chapters: Harry gets a nasty Halloween surprise, Hermione and Harry continue to sneak away for private moments, and Ron…well…he gets the crud beat out of him again…I almost feel sorry for the guy. Almost.