Unofficial Portkey Archive

Secrets of the Shadows by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Secrets of the Shadows

TheGreatFox2000

So, right. After some reconsideration, there won't be an epilogue. Just a straight 18 chapters. I think it'll be easier to finish that way.

---------------

Chapter 13: Weasley Surprise

Harry awoke and immediately felt the familiar presence of Hermione missing from beside him. Wondering where she was, he got up and stumbled into the bathroom, preparing for a shower to help regain his senses for the day.

After holding Malfoy for three weeks, the leads had got fewer and farther between. If it weren't for the fact that Harry's scar had started tingling constantly, he would have thought Voldemort and his death eaters had fallen off the face of the earth. It was unnerving Harry to no end that after Draco's capture, all muggle-torturing activity had ceased. It also made him wonder if Draco had really been telling him the truth or not.

Sighing, he stepped into the hot spray of water and let it wash over him. He vaguely remembered that today was important for some reason, but couldn't put his finger on it. Deciding he would just have Hermione tell him when he found her later, he grabbed a washcloth and soaped it up thoroughly.

According to Moody, Dumbledore had been slightly surprised to hear that they had already captured Malfoy (and coming from Dumbledore, this was saying something). Apparently he had a feeling that Draco was not working entirely for their cause, but didn't expect Harry to act so quickly on it. He had advised Harry, Hermione, and Moody that the Order could be told that a prisoner was being kept, but the identity would remain secret. Most of them believed the story and thought it was just a routine death eater.

Ten minutes later he stepped out of the shower, grabbed the nearest towel and wrapped it around his waist. Not bothering to dry himself thoroughly, he walked back into the bedroom, grabbed his wand, and muttered a drying spell on himself just as Hermione walked through the door.

"Where were you this morning?" Harry asked, dropping his towel and pulling on a pair of boxers.

"Apparently not in the right place," she replied with a mischievous grin as he pulled on a pair of pants.

"Well you could give me a nice 'hello' to make up for it," Harry said with a smile.

"I think that could be in order," Hermione said as she walked up to Harry and kissed him soundly on the lips.

"Now that that's over with," he said once she pulled away. "How come you were up so early?"

"Hmm....I don't think I can tell you that," Hermione said with a smile as he pulled on a shirt.

"And why not?" Harry asked.

"Because I can't," she replied with a grin.

"It doesn't have anything to do with singing lessons for Dobby, does it?" he asked. "Not that I feel bad for Malfoy or anything but...I kinda feel bad for Malfoy." Hermione laughed

"Yeah, he really does need to improve a bit, doesn't he?"

"I'd say, 'A bit', is a bit of an understatement," Harry said sitting down on the bed to pull on his socks. "Oh, I wanted to ask you, are we doing anything special today? I could've sworn there was something important that we needed to do but I can't remember it for the life of me."

"I think I know what you're talking about," Hermione said. "Why don't we talk about it over breakfast?"

"Er...okay," Harry replied as they walked out of the room and down the stairs. "You know...you've been acting a little...energetic this morning. Any reason?"

"Not at all," Hermione said in a sing-song voice while looking determinedly at the ceiling. Harry sighed as they reached the door to the basement kitchen.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on, or - "

"SURPRISE!!!"

Harry blinked as he looked around the kitchen which was decked out in red and gold streamers with muggle glitter shining on the paper. The entire Weasley clan with the exception of Percy was scattered throughout the room watching him with eager eyes. Sitting next to Charlie was Hagrid (whose head, while sitting, came up to the ceiling). Fred and George were sporting party hats (which were undoubtedly Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes originals) that spouted off random party noises, and Bill and Ginny were off in the corner and covered in red and gold glitter.

Molly and Arthur were sitting next to Remus and Tonks at the table which looked like it was straining under the weight of a heaping pile of gifts and a large pan cake with 'Happy Birthday Harry!' written in green icing on the top. Moody was standing in the corner next to a very uncharacteristic Professor McGonagal, who, for the first time in Harry's memory, looked as though she finally did 'let her hair down'. Dumbledore, meanwhile, was simply standing there taking in his surroundings sporting a very Luna-like smile, while David and Emma Granger just sat marveling at the magical decorations. Chuckling to himself, Harry turned and looked at Hermione.

"You think I know what I'm talking about?" he asked sarcastically.

"So I did know what you were talking about," she replied. "No harm done."

"What's she talking about mate?" Ron asked, floating next to the cake while sneaking occasional glances at it.

"I forgot what today was," Harry muttered sheepishly.

"You forgot your own birthday?" Ginny asked incredulously.

"Now it's not something to be ashamed of," Dumbledore interjected, causing everyone in the room to turn and look at him. "I myself have forgotten at least twenty of mine."

"Barking mad..." Ron muttered under his breath, though in the silence of the stunned room, is was clearly audible to everyone.

"Mad I may be, Ronald," Dumbledore said with the familiar twinkle in his eyes. "But unless I have somehow managed a second animagus transformation, I doubt you will see me barking any time soon."

"What's your first, sir?" Harry asked curiously.

"That, you will find out when the need for my transformation comes," the headmaster replied seriously. "But I think right now there is cake to be cut, and presents to be opened."

And so the entire morning was spent opening presents and eating cake (Ron even used some of his Weasley dust so he could partake in the festivities). Never had Harry received so many gifts at any one time before.

Hagrid's present, which Harry opened first, was thankfully not his usual rock cakes. Instead, the gamekeeper had given him a very beautifully carved wooden flute, not unlike the one he had received in his first year.

"Have Dumbledore tell yeh abou' that," Hagrid whispered over the din of people conversing and eating cake. "Dun want anyone teh hear what it can do."

"Thanks, Hagrid," Harry replied softly and he quickly pocketed the instrument.

Tonks' present was next, and whatever she had given Harry, it was apparent that he wasn't supposed to open it in front of everyone else.

"Um...yeah," she interrupted as Harry was about to remove the plain brown paper from the present...which strangely felt like it was a book. "You might want to open that up somewhere more....private." Harry furrowed his brow at the older auror but tucked it away nonetheless. Tonks gave Hermione a meaningful wink as she resumed eating her cake.

'What was that all about?' Harry asked Hermione silently.

'For once in my life, I don't want to think about it,' she replied. Harry turned to look at her at saw that her face was almost beet red. His thought process quickly caught up and soon, he too was sporting an equally furious blush.

The Weasleys had all chipped in (though Harry had a distinct feeling that Fred and George contributed more than the others) and bought him a very fancy wand holster, which he promptly strapped around his waist, over his potions belt.

"It's dead useful," Ron was saying. "Repels even the toughest magic. Solid dragonhide."

"Welsh green," Charlie chipped in. "Best kind for repelling."

Harry smiled and thanked each of the Weasleys graciously for the wonderful gift before turning to the present from Remus.

"This," Remus said. "Is something I think you might like to have. I'm not entirely sure how useful it will be to you, but --"

Harry's jaw nearly hit the floor as he removed the paper and stared at the book he was holding. The cover was a very plain brown, but in fading gold letters, the words, 'Hogwarts, Class of '77' were visible.

"It's my yearbook," Remus explained. "James' and Lily's were destroyed in Godric's Hollow, and I don't know where Sirius kept his. I don't really have a need for it, and I thought it might have better use in your hands than mine."

Harry slowly opened the cover and stared at the moving pictures of all the people from his parents' year. He flipped through the book until he got to the part that showed the Head Boy and Girl, and sure enough, there were James and Lily, beaming up at him in their pictures and waving their hands. Sniffling, Harry wiped his eyes with the back of his sleeve.

"Thank you," he said to Remus.

"I think that perhaps, given what Remus' present was, it might be best if you opened mine next," Dumbledore said pointing at a gold wrapped parcel on the table that was roughly eight by six inches, and one inch deep. Clearing his throat, Harry pulled it towards him and pulled off the paper.

This time, his jaw really did hit the floor. Smiling at him from inside the solid oak frame, were James, Lily, Sirus, himself, and Hermione, all sitting in various chairs in the Gryffindor common room.

"H-how....when...-" he started to ask, but Dumbledore cut him off.

"I had a feeling that one day you would like to have a record of your trip into the past," the headmaster said. "While I do not possess one of those muggle recording devices, I thought that this might suffice." Harry tried to say thank you, but found that he couldn't speak. Dumbledore, seeming to sense this, merely chuckled. "They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I believe the pictures that bring forth no words are a bit better." Harry simply nodded in thanks without looking up. He spent the next few minutes staring at the picture before Hermione put her hand on his shoulder gently and reminded him that he still had two presents to open.

"Right," he said, pulling McGonagal's gift towards him and opening it to reveal four boxes of chocolate frogs.

"You'll forgive my lack of an original idea," she said. "But I'm not very accustomed to giving out presents."

"They're always delicious," Harry said with a smile. "Thank you."

"Any time," the transfiguration professor replied.

"So this last one is from all of you, then?" Harry asked, looking at the Grangers while keeping an eye on the lone parcel wrapped in green paper.

"Yep," David Granger said rubbing his hands together. "We didn't really know what to get you, so Hermione suggested we get you this." Harry ripped off the paper to reveal a white box. He opened the box and found a beautiful sterling silver watch shining up at him.

"Oh wow," he said, taking the watch out of the box an examining it. "This must have cost you a fortune."

"Not really," Emma said. "It's only six karat. Not really that expensive."

"Turn the dial," Hermione said, smiling at him. Curious, Harry turned the small silver knob on the right side of the watch and looked on in amazement as the face somehow flipped over completely to reveal another face, this time with four sets of hands.

"We got that done at a shop in Diagon Alley that Fred and George referred us to," Emma said. "I'd really like to find out how those work."

Squinting so he could see the tiny writing, Harry realised that this watch was a miniature version of the grandfather clock in the Weasley household. Each hand had a separate picture on the end of it, and they were labeled Harry, Hermione, Emma, and David. All four hands were pointed at the word 'home'.

'I got you something else too,' Hermione said in her mind as Harry strapped the watch on his wrist. 'But it's for later.'

'Is it one of those presents that girls get for guys, but are really for themselves?' Harry replied silent with a grin.

'Are you insinuating something?' Hermione asked.

'I am,' Harry replied with a smik.

'Hmph.'

'So is it something like that?' Harry asked.

'Yes,' Hermione replied in a huffy tone. Harry laughed and pulled her into a hug. "The present is wonderful," he said aloud. "Thank you."

"You're quite welcome dear," Emma said. "And if you're planning on talking in your heads without anyone knowing, you shouldn't make those facial expressions. It gives it away."

"Sorry," Hermione said with a smile.

"Harry, how do you like your party?" Remus asked, coming up to him.

"It's wonderful, Moony," Harry replied. "Thank you."

"Ah, don't thank me," Remus said. "It was all Hermione's idea." Harry turned and smiled at his fiancee. "Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but I have to be going."

"Of course," Harry said without hesitation. "You've already done more than enough."

"Thank you," Remus said. "I promised Rose I'd take her to the theater today. I didn't remember that today was the 31st. Sometimes I can be worse than James when it comes to remembering things and -"

"Remus, just go," Harry said with a grin. "You gave me this." He held up the yearbook. "That's more than enough."

"Thank you, Harry," Remus said again. "You have a great day now, you hear?"

"We will," Hermione said with a smile. Remus hugged them each once before he disapparated.

"Where'd he go?" Ginny asked, coming over to them.

"He had a date," Harry said, smirking.

"Oh," Ginny said. "So I was wondering, do you mind if -" she was cut off by a pop signifying the arrival of Dobby.

"Master Harry Potter!" the elf squealed, burying it's face in Harry's shirt. "Happy birthday!"

"Thank you Dobby," Harry said, giving Ginny an apologetic smile.

"Here is your present, sir," the elf said, handing Harry a package wrapped in crinkled brown paper. He opened it to reveal a pair of mismatched socks, one red with broomsticks on it, the other yellow with wands on it.

"Thank you Dobby," Harry said with a smile.

"Umm....master Harry, Malfoy is wondering if he can have a small increase in food."

"Malfoy?" Ginny asked. Immediately Harry hushed her and grabbed her hand before dragging her out of the room, Hermione and Dobby in hot pursuit. "What's he doing here?"

"No one is supposed to know about that," Harry said in an undertone.

"Oh....oh master sir...Dobby is sorry...Dobby is a bad house-elf..." He had just turned to run at the wall head first when Harry picked him up by the back of his tie and put him down.

"You don't need to punish yourself, Dobby," he said. "You didn't know."

"Is someone going to tell me why Malfoy is here?" Ginny asked again.

"You know the prisoner that we captured a few weeks ago?" Hermione asked. Ginny's eyes widened.

"I thought that was just a routine death eater," she said.

"Yes, well, it wasn't," Harry said.

"Where is he?" Ginny asked.

"Why?" Harry asked cautiously.

"I want to see him," she replied.

"No," Harry said "You can't know."

"If you don't tell me why he's here, I will go back in that room and tell everyone that it's him you're holding here," she said.

"You're willing to blackmail me on my birthday?" Harry asked, slightly impressed.

"He lied to me," Ginny said dangerously. "I think I deserve the truth."

"Fine," Harry sighed. "Come with me. Dobby, lead the way."

Dobby led them to the second floor (though it was difficult as he was forced to refrain from hitting his head on every solid object he passed) and down the hall to a door at the end of it. Waving his hand, they heard the click signifying the door unlocking, and he opened it and ushered them inside.

"What did Potter say about my food, Dobby?" Draco asked from his bed.

"That you shouldn't get any you son-of-a-bitch!" Ginny screamed as she lunged at him and staring punching him in the face. Hastily, Harry pulled her off Draco still kicking and punching at the air wildly while Hermione and Dobby cast some powerful silencing charms on the door.

"If you continue to behave like that," Harry said, not letting go of Ginny. "I will be forced to remove you from here and memory charm you." Ginny instantly stopped struggling.

"Why is she here?" Draco spat, causing blood to trickle out of the corner of his mouth. "You know I kept everything a secret to protect her, and now she knows -"

"To protect me?" she yelled. "That's rich."

"It was either her, or everyone else downstairs," Harry said. "Besides, she does deserve the truth."

"If she dies," Draco said dangerously, "I will have your head Potter."

"What do you care?" Ginny asked.

"More than you could know," Draco replied.

"Enlighten me, then," Ginny said acidly.

The next half hour was spent listening Draco tell the youngest Weasley his tale. There was more than one occasion where Harry was forced to calm Ginny down, but she succeeded in listening to all of it without downright attacking him again. Finally, at the end of all of it she got up and stood in front of Draco.

"I can't believe you," she said softly. "I can't believe I ever fell in love with you."

"Ginny..."

"I don't ever want to see you again," she said turning her back on him. "Do not ever let me see you again, because if I do, no amount of Harry Potters will be able to stop me from harming you." Without another word she stormed out of the room.

"So can I have a little more food?" Draco asked. "Not to be picky, but it's tough going through a day on just two corn muffins."

"We'll increase it to three then," Harry said, striding out of the room followed closely by Hermione, leaving Dobby to tend to Malfoy. Sighing, he walked slowly down the stairs when suddenly he heard a familiar shout from the entrance hallway.

"You lied to me!" the voice yelled. It didn't take him long to work out that it was Ginny yelling again, and he quickly ran down the steps to find her standing in front of none other than Albus Dumbledore, her eyes blazing with a fury that wasn't present even during the conversation with Draco.

"Harry, Hermione," the headmaster acknowledged as they came down the stairs. "Perhaps we could take this conversation somewhere a little more private."

They walked into the study and the moment Dumbledore finished the silencing charms on the room, Ginny exploded.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!" she yelled. "YOU TOLD ME THAT DRACO WASN'T ALL THAT BAD AND THAT I SHOULD EXAMINE MY FEELINGS FOR HIM MORE CLOSELY!"

"I am sorry, Ginevra," Albus said sincerely.

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!" she yelled. "I HATE THAT NAME AND YOU KNOW IT!"

"Ginny, then," Dumbledore corrected. "You must understand that I did not know that Draco was working for Voldemort at that time."

"You're Dumbledore!" she yelled. "How am I supposed to believe that?!"

"As much as I would like to believe that I am omnipotent," the headmaster said with a grave smile. "I'm not, nor will I ever be."

"You told me I would be able to change him though!" she yelled.

"And you did," Dumbledore said. "You very well may have saved his life."

"I wish I hadn't," Ginny said, tears starting to run down her cheeks.

"You know that's not true," Dumbledore replied.

"I know," the red-head said softly.

"I must say, you are at least much more well behaved than Harry when you're angry at me," Dumbledore said with a chuckle.

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed.

"Why, what did he do?" Ginny asked with a rueful smile. Dumbledore glanced at Harry as if to say, 'it's your story to tell'.

"I erm....I trashed his office when he told me about the prophecy," Harry said bashfully.

"You didn't," Ginny said with a small smile. Harry nodded once.

"Well then, perhaps we should get back to the party," the headmaster said. "People will begin to wonder what's happened to us." They walked out into the hall and back towards the basement kitchen. "I must say, it was rather lucky that I noticed the three of you gone or I would not have had the sense to step out into the hall when Ginny came running downstairs looking for me to prevent her from telling everyone that Draco was being held here."

Harry and Hermione shared a small chuckle at this. Dumbledore had just reached for the doorknob to the kitchen when suddenly Harry's scar exploded in pain. Instantly he sank to one knee from the pain, eyes already watery, and managed to breathe out, "Giants," before passing out on the floor, unconscious.

---------------

For those of you who recognised the birthday scene, yes, I did take a lot of it from Who Turned Off the Water. Just a heads up so that no one spends time asking me when they REVIEW! ;)