Unofficial Portkey Archive

Secrets of the Shadows by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Secrets of the Shadows

TheGreatFox2000

Okay, so the responding to the reviews, hasn't gone badly...yet. I'm pleased with the overall response to last chapter, most of you seemed to enjoy it. I was skeptical while writing it, but I suppose that can be a side effect of doing most of your writing twelve hours before you post ::blush::. Keep the reviews coming, and thanks to everyone who wished me happy holidays and a new year. My resolution: write better fanfiction. And get into the New York Film Academy ;)

Two announcements for this chapter. The first, fluff is abound. I got back from seeing The Phantom of the Opera movie (which is absolutely, unbelievably wonderful, by the way) and my fluff muse kicked into overdrive. So just watch out for that.

Second, I finally understood the phrase 'and it hit you like a sack of bricks' this week. Some of you may or may not know that I was nominated in three categories (Best New Author, Best Fic Fluff, Best Novel Length, all H/Hr) for the Reader's Choice Awards, and much to my amazement, I made the final cut in all three. Even more surprising to me, I'm actually in close contention for the lead in two of them, and winning the third. I cannot stress enough, how unbelievably flattered and taken aback I am at this. When I first heard of the RCA's, which was back in July right after I first posted on PK, my goal was to get a simple nomination in the first round. Not make the cut, not be in contention for a win. Just get a nomination. To know that you guys believe that my writing is good enough to win, is just so overwhelming that I cannot express it in words.

Therefore, I dedicate this chapter to every person who has ever reviewed my stories and given me words of praise and hope. Now I suppose, all that's left is to cross my fingers and see if I manage to win any awards. I have one final statement before the chapter begins. Vote for me! ::raises hands, gives thumbs up and large, toothy, smile::

---------------

Chapter 5: Reminiscing with Remus

"Again!" barked Moody, as Harry slowly rose from one knee to a standing position, his head throbbing madly.

"Sir, perhaps you could let me try again?" Hermione asked, obviously partially feeling some of the pain that Harry was going through, and wishing to relieve him of it.

"Not bloody likely," their teacher replied, though he did conjure a class of water and handed it to Harry. "The more punishment you can take now, the easier it'll be later if you get captured." Harry took several large gulps before he threw the glass down, causing it to break.

"I'm ready," he said in a hoarse voice. Moody nodded and raised his wand.

"Legillimens!" he bellowed.

Harry had already found out that his teacher's claim of being a more accomplished Legillimens than Snape was more than true. With Snape, it felt similar to a hard wind hitting him in the face as the memories rushed from the depths of his mind. With Moody, it felt like someone had thrown a brick at his forehead. He was, however, getting more adept at forcing only certain memories to surface to his mind with each attack. Moody had explained it in a way that Harry felt Snape never would have been able to.

"I thought you'd done this before, Potter," Moody growled, seemingly growing impatient.

"I'm a little rusty," Harry said, getting to his feet, rubbing his temple.

"Snape never really did teach you much, did he?" Harry shook his head.

"Little that I could use, nothing that I could understand," he replied while Hermione looked on with sad eyes, having never really known what Harry had gone through in his fifth year.

"It's a battle of wits," Moody said, turning his back to his students and pacing the room, in a style not unlike Dumbledore.

"How so?" Harry asked.

"Your mind, Potter!" Moody growled, whirling around to face him. "You've got to out-muscle your attacker with your mind! You can break the Imperius Curse, this should be a walk in the park for you."

"Yeah but with the Imperius I have a little voice in my head helping me out," Harry replied. Hermione and Moody surveyed him carefully.

"Have you now?" his teacher asked. Harry nodded. "Whose?"

"Er...I've never really noticed," he replied. "Why?" Moody raised his wand and pointed it at Harry.

"Imperio!"

A familiar calmness that Harry hadn't experienced since the end of his fourth year washed over him. Inside his head, Moody's voice was echoing, "lie down on the floor, lie down on the floor." He felt his knees start to bend, but another voice, this one much more firm fought its way into the foreground.

"Now why on earth would you do something so utterly pointless like lying on the ground?"

Hermione's voice...

And just like that it was over. The cloud lifted from his mind and he found himself staring straight into Moody's smiling face.

"So who was it?" he asked.

"Er..." Harry turned and glanced at Hermione who was absolutely beaming at him. "Hermione."

"I guessed right, then," Moody said. "I'll have to tell Albus."

"Why?" Harry asked, suddenly alarmed that he'd done something wrong.

"It's not entirely usual to hear more than one voice in your head when under the Imperio Curse," Moody explained. "Trust me, I know."

"Maybe when you heard it back in fourth year, it was just a premature version of the link," Hermione said. "But you couldn't distinguish who it was because we hadn't...er..." Hermione's face promptly turned beet red.

"I'll leave the speculation to Dumbledore," Moody growled. "He's better at that stuff than I am. Back to your training. Do you understand how to fight an attack on your mind, Potter?"

"Not really," Harry said. "I don't hear Hermione's voice in my head telling me to repel you when I'm under a Legillimancy attack."

"Well how about that time your and Voldemort's wands crossed and connected?" Moody asked.

"I had help," Harry said, getting frustrated. "The phoenix song...it helped me."

"How so?" Hermione asked.

"It told me not to break the connection," he replied. "When the light hit Voldemort's wand, the memories of the people he'd killed came out and told me what to do."

"Potter, what do you mean, 'the phoenix song talked to you'?" Moody asked.

"Just that," Harry said. "It was like it was speaking to me, the music, that is. Why?" Moody looked contemplative for a moment before he shook it off.

"Just curious," he said. "Now just imagine that all these people are helping you while I'm in your mind."

"It's not entirely easy what with all my memories flying forward without any resistance," Harry replied.

"Well then create some resistance, damn it," Moody growled, raising his wand. "Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," Harry replied.

That was how it had gone. Since then, Harry and Hermione had been stuck in the dingy room that was only furnished with three metal chairs, and a squeaking lamp hanging from the ceiling. Many failed attempts and four hours later, Harry was starting to make progress. He had managed to keep away from the flow of memories long enough to regain his own thoughts, and stem the tide of images. Hermione didn't fare as well. She had trouble even keeping consciousness, let alone regaining control of her mind. Moody wasn't satisfied.

"You're learning," he growled at Harry. "But it's going to take a long time before you'll get to the point that you need to be at.

"I suppose that's high praise coming from you," Harry said with a sarcastic smile.

"Yes, well. Your turn, Granger."

Hermione stepped forward with a deep breath and a resigned look on her face, and nodded. Moody raised his wand.

"Legillimens!"

Hermione's face immediately started to show pressure from the forced entry into her mind. Just like when he was under the spell and she was watching, Harry couldn't hear or feel what was going on inside of her head. It was over only a few seconds later. She collapsed to the ground, hyperventilating, and he immediately rushed to her side, like every time before.

"I don't know how you can do it," she whispered as Harry helped her stand up and Moody handed her a glass of water.

"I can't do it," he replied with a smile.

"You will eventually," Moody said. "You're both better than most of the people who have to learn with no prior training. Usually they just pass out. It can take months for them to get it, because you can only try once every few hours or so." He said this last bit with a sadistic grin.

"I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky, then?" Hermione asked. Moody shrugged.

"Well we didn't force you to join the auror program, after all," he said with a crooked smile. He pulled back the sleeve of his robe on his left arm and looked at a strange watch he had strapped there. It was similar to a normal watch in that it had the usual numbers from one to twelve in the normal spots, but along with an hour, minute, and second hand, there were three or four other ones that were pointing to random spots on the watch. "Well," he growled. "I think we've done enough for today."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"Oh you won't be thanking me in a week or so," Moody replied. "Don't expect that I'm going to let you out early every day." Harry and Hermione nodded. "As for now, Dumbledore tells me that neither of you can apparate. Is this true?"

"Yes, but I've read up on it and I think - "

"That will suffice," Moody said. "I want both of you to be able to apparate by the end of next week. Study in your own time, don't study at all, I don't care. But by the Friday after next, I want both of you to be able to disappear and appear somewhere else at your own whim. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," they both chorused.

"Good. Now go and relax." Harry and Hermione breathed a sigh of relief as they stepped out of the dim-lit room into the hallway lined with doors. He couldn't help but stop and remember what Moody had said right before they started training.

"What else are these rooms for?" Harry asked.

"Prisoners, mos' of the time," Moody replied.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, sensing his thoughts.

"It's nothing," he replied after a moment.

"Budge up, you two, will ya?" Moody growled from behind them. "I ain't got all day to stand around here while you two contemplate life."

"Is Pettigrew being held here?" Harry asked, stepping aside for Moody to walk by.

"Yeah," his teacher replied. "Not telling you where though. 'S not like you'd be able to get at him anyway, the wards are so thick." Harry's expression hardened considerably at this. "Come on, Potter," Moody said, showing an uncharacteristic display of affection and putting his hand on Harry's shoulder. "Worry about him when the time comes to worry."

"I'd say during a war is a pretty good time to worry," Harry replied, as he, Hermione, and Moody stepped out of the hallway and into main area of auror headquarters.

"You got more important things to be worryin' about though, son," Moody said. "I'll see you tomorrow." With that Moody walked off to his left, into the vast expanse of cubicles packed into the small space.

"Well, we've got about two hours before we have to meet Remus," Harry said with a sigh. "Care to check out the employees' café?"

"Sure," Hermione replied with a smile. "If you're good, I'll even treat you."

"Don't forget we share the same vault now," Harry smiled as they stepped into the lift and pushed the button labeled 'Ground Floor'.

"We do...don't we?" Hermione said with a mischievous grin, before leaning up and kissing Harry soundly on the lips.

"Benefits of being engaged," he replied, although it was fairly muffled.

"Speaking of which," Hermione said as the doors to the lift clanged open and she pulled away. "We need to set a date."

"Hmm...you're right," Harry answered. "Hey, look." He pointed to a tall man with red hair walking across the lobby from them.

"Oh! Mr. Weasley!" Hermione said as loud as she could without shouting. The red-haired man turned and his face lit up when he saw the two of them waiving and walking towards him.

"Harry! Hermione! Oh it's great to see you," he said giving each of them a quick hug. "How's training?"

"Exhausting," Harry replied truthfully. "But Moody let us out early, it being our first day and all." Arthur laughed.

"Don't expect that too often," he said. "When Moody gets in one of his...well...moods," they shared a chuckle at this, "he can be a slave driver. When Tonks started training he was still in the auror program, and she was all too glad to see him retire."

"I'll bet," Harry replied with a smile. "We're just off to the café. Can you tell us where it is?"

"Right down the hall on your right," Mr. Weasley replied. "Well I'd best be off. You two have a good day."

"And you," Hermione replied as Arthur waved farewell.

"Well my dear," Harry said in an imperious tone. "Shall I escort you to the restaurant?"

"You remember what happened the last time you did that, right?" Hermione said in a playful tone, but immediately regretted it when she saw Harry's face fall. "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean to bring that up."

"It's okay," he replied as they started walking. "Just tough for me to get over it."

"At least you can admit it's not your fault."

They finished the walk in silence, and found when they reached their destination that the 'café' was actually a cozy little restaurant for luncheons and such.

"Can I get you two a table?" the witch behind the cashier's desk asked.

"Um...sure," Harry replied. The witch grabbed two menus and they walked over to a little booth tucked away next to the wall.

"Give me a call as soon as you're ready," she said with a smile. Hermione opened a menu and started scanning it.

"How about just tea?" she asked. "We're having dinner with Remus in a little while."

"Tea's fine," Harry replied, raising his hand to call over the waitress.

"So what can I get for you?" the waitress asked.

"Just tea for the both of us, please," Harry said.

"Comin' right up," the waitress said, taking the menus and walking away.

"So, when did you have in mind?"

"Hmm?" Hermione asked.

"For the wedding."

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "I don't know, did you have a preference?"

"I'd prefer it be sooner than later," Harry replied. "I want the world to know that I'm the luckiest guy in the world."

"This coming from the Boy-Who-Lived," Hermione said with a smile.

"Imagine where I'd be without you," he said with a laugh.

"I'd rather not," she said, reaching across the table and taking his hand. "Because then I'd be without you, too."

"Have I told you how much I love you today?" Harry asked. Hermione smiled and shook her head. "I really, really love you."

"I love you too, Harry."

"So, about the wedding," he said, straightening up as the waitress arrived with the tea. "Thanks."

"Not a problem, dear."

"I was thinking," Harry said as the waitress walked away. "The sooner the better."

"I couldn't agree more," Hermione replied with a beautiful smile that nearly made Harry's heart melt.

"But I'd like it to be at Hogwarts, if you don't mind," he said.

"I'm not against it," Hermione said. "But how come?" Harry shrugged.

"I did call it my home for seven years," he replied. "But if you'd rather get married in a church, that's okay."

"Not at all, I just think it may be a problem for my parents, they being muggles and all."

"I hadn't thought about that," Harry said. "I'm sure Dumbledore could find a way to lower the Unplottable Charms around the castle so they could get inside."

"Yeah, and speaking of Dumbledore, we need to get his approval," Hermione added.

"We'll ask him the next time he stops by headquarters," Harry said. "But, if you don't mind...I was hoping for maybe early November."

"Won't everyone be in school?" she asked.

"Well, I'd like some of the teachers to attend, if possible," Harry said. "And perhaps some of the students who were a year below us in the DA."

"Okay," Hermione said flashing him that smile again. "Hogwarts in November."

"To us," Harry said, raising his cup.

"To us," Hermione replied.

=====

Three-quarters of an hour later Harry and Hermione were walking down the hall arm in arm back towards the lobby.

"We've still got a little over an hour," Hermione said. "D'you want to go and say hi to Remus?"

"Why not," Harry replied with a grin. They walked over to the reception desk and were greeted by a short, plump witch with dark gray hair. "Could you tell us which floor Remus Lupin is working on?" he asked. The witch nodded and opened a file cabinet on her left, which she quickly scanned through.

"Floor four," she replied. "Just talk to the supervisor first, he can be a bit cranky some times."

"Thank you," said Hermione as they walked over to the lift. The elevator ride passed in silence, with the exception of the buzzing made by the inter-department memos zooming around their heads. Finally the reached their destination and stepped out, coming face to face with a rather nasty looking man with short silver hair. He seemed to be about six and a half feet tall, and overall was rather menacing.

"Can I help you?" he asked in a snobbish tone.

"Er...we're here to see Remus Lupin?" Harry asked politely. The man eyed them carefully before nodding in a direction to their left.

"Ninth cubicle on the right," he said. "And keep it down." He stalked off before they had a chance to respond.

"Not very sociable, is he?" Hermione asked as they walked down the aisleway.

"Not at all," Harry replied as Remus became visible sitting in his cubicle, hunched over a piece of parchment. Harry put his finger to his lips as a devilish glint shone in his eyes. Hermione only shook her head and smiled. Grinning, Harry tiptoed up behind Remus and stuck his head over the werewolf's left shoulder.

"Boo."

Remus nearly fell out of his chair at the surprise, which in turn caused Harry and Hermione to laugh as the Marauder calmed himself enough to confront them.

"That wasn't very funny, Harry," he said, although it was easy to tell that he didn't mean it.

"I think it was," Harry replied. "You should've seen the look on your face."

"Yes, well," Remus said. "So what can I do for you? Moody let you out early?"

"Yeah, said he'd take it easy on us because it was our first day," Hermione said.

"You're quite lucky then," Remus replied.

"So what do they have you doing?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," Remus replied honestly. "They're not giving me anything to do until my boss goes over the department policies with me." He pointed to the parchment he'd been reading.

"Who's your boss?" Harry asked.

"Jacob Dells," Remus replied. "Big, sour-looking fellow. You probably met him, or you wouldn't have known I was here."

"That's your boss?" Hermione asked, wide-eyed. Remus nodded.

"I feel bad for you, Moony," Harry said, clasping his old professor on the shoulder.

"Well, it's better than not having a job at all," he said. "So what is that you wanted to talk about tonight? I've got about an hour left until I get off and nothing to do."

"It's er...maybe not the best place to talk about this," Harry said.

"Does it have to do with," he leaned in close, "The Order?"

"No, no not at all," Harry said. "We...er, we made a new spell." Remus raised his eyebrows at this.

"You did?" Remus asked.

"Yeah," Harry replied, his legs suddenly feeling stiff. Reading his mind, Hermione conjured two chairs out of thin air and sat down. "Thanks," he said with a smile, taking a seat in the other chair. "You remember how Hermione and I disappeared for about four months at the beginning of the last school year, right?"

"Of course," Remus said with a nod.

"Did Dumbledore tell you where we'd gone?" Hermione asked.

"All he said was that you'd accidentally transported yourselves into the past," Remus replied. "Didn't tell us when, or where, just that if his past self did everything correctly to send you back, you'd reappear sometime in winter."

"Would you like to know where we ended up?" Harry asked with a grin.

"I'll admit that I'm slightly curious," Remus admitted.

"Hogwarts, 1977," Harry replied. Remus sat there in silence for a moment before he spoke.

"That can't be true," he said. "That was my seventh year, I would've remembered you."

"Not if Dumbledore had memory charmed you, you wouldn't," Hermione interjected with a grin matching Harry's.

"But why would he memory charm me?" Remus asked. "Not unless I'd met you and figured out who you...were......" His eyes widened and he snapped his head up at Harry who nodded.

"So we invented a spell," Harry said. "That reverses the effects of a memory charm." Remus gaped at him.

"You....you're serious?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Hermione said. "We wouldn't joke about something like this." Remus closed his mouth and looked at her.

"Do it," he said.

"I'm sorry?" Hermione asked.

"You created a spell to fix a memory charm," he reiterated. "Cast it on me."

"What here? Now?" Harry asked, slightly stunned.

"I...I want to know," Remus said.

"Listen, I'm not sure that's a good idea," Harry said. "We haven't tested the spell yet and it might be safer to do it at headquarters."

"Harry, I understand your hesitation," Remus said. "But I'm just asking you, do me this favor. Try. If it doesn't work, there's always a way to fix it. And I'm fully confident that neither of you made an error."

"Well, okay," Harry replied drawing his wand. "You're sure about this?"

"Absolutely," Remus replied. Harry looked at Hermione, who nodded. Taking a deep breath, Harry pointed his wand at the old Marauder.

"Restuto," Harry said, as calmly as he could. A thin wisp of blue light flew from his wand and impacted upon his target's torso. Harry watched in shock as Remus' eyes rolled into the back of his head, but the shock was lessened by the fact that he seemed to have kept consciousness.

'What's going on?' Harry asked Hermione silently.

'I don't know,' she replied. 'We'll just have to wait.'

They didn't have to wait long. A few seconds later Remus' eyes came back down to their normal positions, and although looking slightly dizzy, he appeared fine.

"Remus?" Harry asked. "Are you okay?" His old professor looked at him as though he had never seen him before in his life, and cocked his head to the side.

"Oh no," Hermione gasped, brining a hand to her mouth. "Harry...he looks like he doesn't even know who you are..."

"Remus?" Harry asked, this time a little more forcefully. "Do you know who I am?" Remus continued to give him a blank stare. "My god," Harry said, dropping to his knees. "What have I done?"

"A bloody good job," Remus said, with a grin. Harry's head immediately snapped up to find Remus laughing at him.

"You git!" Harry exclaimed. "You had us both right scared."

"Payback," Remus said with a shrug.

"For what?" he asked.

"A night in the Gryffindor common room, say about 20 years ago."

"You remember?" Hermione asked, a smile growing on her face. Remus turned to face her.

"I remember much more than that," he said with a smile. "Did you enjoy the fireworks display we gave you for your birthday?" Hermione stood from her seat and walked over to Remus, engulfing him in a hug.

"They were wonderful," she said, dabbing at her eyes.

"You know," Remus said, turning to Harry. "I never really felt like I knew the whole story behind how James and Lily got together. Dumbledore said that Lily fell for him after the quidditch fall."

"I know," Harry said with a hint of regret. "I wish he didn't have to memory charm you all, but it had to be done."

"I suppose," said Remus. "Remember the time that Snape called Lily a mudblood while you three were talking in the courtyard?"

"How could I forget?" Harry asked with a chuckle. "That was the most fun I'd had since Barty Crouch Jr. bounced Malfoy up and down the hall as a ferret."

"I'll say," Remus said with a chuckle. "Hmm, what's this?" A purple paper airplane had just zoomed into his cubicle and landed on his desk. He unfolded the note and read it, his face quickly becoming the color of the paper as he read.

"Remus?" Hermione asked. "What's wrong?"

"There's been an attack," he said, grabbing his cloak. "We have to go. Now." He hurried out of the cubicle with Hermione close on his heels, but curiosity got the best of Harry, and he glanced at the note to see what it said.

Remus,

Death Eater attack in Surrey. Several dead, more injured. Dumbledore's calling everyone back to headquarters. Get Harry and Hermione if you can, they might be having something to eat downstairs. Hurry Remus, this was in Little Whinging, if you get what I'm talking about.

A. Weasley

---------------

There it is. It is now 5:20 AM by my clock, so I bid you all a good morning, and am going to sleep. Oh, by the way, this cliffhanger that I left you? Don't assume anything.