Unofficial Portkey Archive

At Last by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

At Last

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well here's the first chapter of At Last, which will detail the month before Harry and Hermione's wedding. It's only going to be about 4 chapters long, so you'll have the whole story by next Saturday. We'll be continuing our regular posting schedule.

This is a fluffy story, which we think everyone needs after the angsty parts of Time of their Life. Thanks to all of you that stuck with us through THAT story and we hope you'll all enjoy this one as well. Reviews are always appreciated! :D

"It's just until the wedding," Hermione Granger stood with her arms crossed over her chest. "Harry honestly you'd think I'd asked you to get the moon for me with the way you're acting."

"The wedding is over one month away, though," Harry said, frowning at her. He'd been drinking pumpkin juice when she'd walked into the kitchen and casually announced that she thought they should abstain from sex until after the wedding. It surprised him so much his sputtered juice all over the kitchen table. He walked over to the sink and grabbed a dish rag and began mopping up the mess.

"Well it'll make things that much nicer on the wedding night," Hermione replied stubbornly.

He looked at her. "Care to explain that?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It'll make things more special," she said.

"Let me get this straight," Harry said, leaning against the table. "You think that we'll be able to sleep side by side---night after night----and not do anything?"

"It's called self control Harry," Hermione replied, taking the rag and rinsing it out in the sink. "Honestly, I should think you have a little in there somewhere."

"As a matter-of-fact, I do," Harry said smugly. "And what about you? I'd be willing to wager you'd cave in before I did."

"I'm not placing bets here," Hermione said firmly. "Look, when I used to dream about my wedding, I never thought I'd have sex until I was married." she shook her head. "I don't regret that we've been intimate but I'd at least like to make the wedding night extra special."

Harry could tell this meant a great deal to her and that she felt strongly about it. "If it means that much to you okay. But, how about we make a compromise?"

Hermione eyed him warily. "What sort of compromise?"

"Well, let's think about this logically," he said. "There's one month until the wedding. That's four weeks, Hermione. That's 28 days."

"What's your point?" she asked.

"That's an awfully long time, don't you think?" he asked her. "What if we...shortened it just a little?"

"Shortened it how?" Hermione asked. "Two days?"

"Now you're talking," he said grinning at her. "Two days is perfect!"

"I knew you weren't taking this seriously," Hermione shook her head.

"I am," he said crossing the room and taking her hands in his. "I am taking this very seriously. Okay, how about two weeks?"

"Three," Hermione countered.

"Two and a half," Harry said stubbornly.

Hermione sighed. "Fine," she conceded. "Two and a half weeks,"

Harry smiled and held out his hand. "Shall we shake on it?"

Hermione reluctantly put out her hand.

"Deal," Harry said as they shook hands. "And I don't want you coming around trying to tempt me, either. I intend to honour our agreement."

"Please," Hermione scoffed. "I have far more self control than you do Harry Potter."

"No, you don't," Harry said, with a laugh.

"I do too!" Hermione snapped. "Who put you through that cut off a few years ago when you were always distracting me from studying? Who goes to the library when you're getting all amorous?"

"You make it sound as if I'm at you every single minute of the day," Harry said, feeling a bit hurt that she thought this.

"Well not all the time," Hermione said. "But most of it."

Harry shook his head. "Let me see, who was it who nearly pounced on me the other night in her parents' kitchen? Who was that? Hmmmmm...."

"All right so we both don't have a lot of self control," Hermione turned pink that that memory. "So this will be good for us."

"I think so, too," he said. When she looked at him in disbelief, he laughed. "I do. You're right, Hermione. It will make the wedding night very special."

"Thank you," Hermione leaned forward and hugged him hard. "Can you believe it? Only a month left until we're finally husband and wife."

"I know," he said, kissing the top of her head. "And your mum called while you were out. She wanted to remind you of the second to last fitting for your dress." When Hermione groaned, he patted her back. "And she said again that you should wear your hair down instead of up."

"I'll wear my hair the way I like it, thank you," she rolled her eyes. "How do you like my hair? Up or down?"

"I think you beautiful either way," he said truthfully.

"Well thank you," Hermione kissed him lightly. "You're sweet."

"I have my moments," Harry said grinning at her.

"You have more than moments," Hermione kissed the corner of his mouth.

Harry pretended not to be affected by what she was doing. "Miss Granger? Are you trying to seduce me?"

"No," Hermione said. "Although maybe I should, seeing as you completely blew off my month long cut-off."

"I didn't blow it off," he said defensively. "Besides, if you really wanted to go an entire month, you would have stood your ground. It's not an easy task to get you to change your mind. I've learned that pretty well by now."

Despite herself, that made Hermione laugh. "All right Potter you win."

"Could you repeat that again?" he asked, leaning in close. "I didn't quite hear that?"

"Stop it," Hermione hit his shoulder. "While you're still ahead."

"And if I don't?" Harry asked challenging her.

"We'll move it to three weeks," Hermione gave him a look.

"Right then," Harry said smiling at her. "I'm just going to stop while I'm ahead."

"Right," Hermione said. "I've got to go meet with Lavender and the rest of my bridesmaids."

"Are you going to be gone long?" Harry asked her. "I was thinking we'd catch a movie tonight."

"We're having dinner with Luke and Anna," Hermione reminded him.

"I forgot all about that," Harry said.

"I know," Hermione said, kissing him again. "It's all right. We've both been busy. I can't wait until this week is over so I can concentrate on nothing but the wedding." her finals had been tough this term.

"Just the wedding?" he asked.

"The wedding... and you of course," Hermione looped her arms around his neck.

"I thought you had to go," he said, leaning in for a kiss.

"I do," Hermione replied. "But I have a minute for this," she kissed him again.

"And for this," he said, shamelessly moving his hand under her t-shirt.

Hermione let her head fall back. "Always have time for that," she whispered, her eyes half closed.

"You know they probably wouldn't mind if you were late," he said, kissing her neck.

"They're used to it by now," Hermione replied breathlessly.

"And you used to be so punctual," Harry teased as he lifted her t-shirt up over her head.

"It's all your fault," Hermione let him lay her on the kitchen table. "I can't believe it..."

"I can't believe we'll make it two and a half weeks," he said smiling down at her.

"No, I can't believe there's one place in this house that we haven't made love yet," Hermione giggled. "Right here on this table."

"I think we're about to remedy that," he said laughing with her.

"I think so too," Hermione pulled his head down again.

*** *** ***

Cho smiled reassuringly at the jeweller. The man obviously wasn't in the best of moods and the fact that Hermione hadn't shown up yet hadn't improved matters much. Cho hada very good idea what was keeping her friend, but she wasn't about to share that with this insufferable man.

"You have something on your collar, madam," the man said coldly.

Cho looked down at her shirt and frowned. "My daughter. She was eating biscuits and before I left she gave me a hug."

Hermione practically sprinted through the doors. "Sorry I'm late everyone," she gasped.

"No, you're not," Lavender teased.

"I am too," Hermione frowned at her cousin. "Hi Anna," she smiled.

"Hey Hermione," the redhead grinned back at her.

"So did you tell Harry yet?" Cho asked, giving Hermione a hug.

She made a face. "We shortened the time to two and a half weeks," she replied.

"Fork it over," Lavender said, looking to the other girls. Hermione watched as her friends handed a smug Lavender money. "I knew you'd cave in."

"Lavender!" Hermione glared at her cousin. "You're horrible!"

"That may be, but I'm also quite rich now," Lavender said, stuffing the money into her bag. "I may just pick myself up something really nice since we're here."

Hermione shook her head. "Perhaps I can lengthen the time so you'll have to give it back," she smirked.

"Ladies, ladies," Luna said, getting between them. "I thought we were here to pick out some accessories. And I think if we don't do it soon that horrid man is going to lose his temper."

"Do you think that's his real hair?" Lavender asked, lowering her voice. "I don't think it is."

Anna burst out laughing. "Lavender!" she said between giggles.

"Tact," Hermione shook her head.

"She's about as bad as Ron sometimes," Luna said, laughing. "Which reminds me, do any of you want any puppies?"

All of them turned to her with a gasp. "You mean Paddington..." Hermione trailed off.

"He sort of got a little amorous with our neighbour's dog," Luna explained. "Anyway, last night she gave birth and the horrible woman gave the puppies to us because she thinks it's our fault that Paddington wouldn't leave her dog alone."

"Oh no," Hermione said. "But they need the mother dog during the first few months! You can't separate them yet."

"We haven't," Luna said. "She's making us keep the mother---who goes by the name of Tippy, by the way. You lot should have seen Ron last night when he took them out. Tippy got away from him and he was hollering out, 'Come here, Tippy. Come here, Tippy.'"

The rest of them burst out laughing. "I can just see that," Lavender wiped her eyes.

"Well, in addition to Paddington and Tippy, we have six puppies to look after," Luna said. "Ron's about to lose it."

"We'll take one when they're weaned," Hermione said. "I've been dying for a dog ever since Ron gave you Paddington."

"Luke and I will take one too," Anna grinned.

"Thank you," Luna said. "I kept trying to tell Ron that we needed to get Paddy neutered, but you should have heard him. You would have thought I was talking about him."

Hermione laughed. "Men are so defensive of their... things. Even if they're not theirs!"

Lavender and Anna doubled over in fits of laughter, much to the annoyance of the jeweller, who finally gave up and walked away.

"Okay," Hermione tried to stop giggling. "I think we need to find a new clerk."

"I think she's right," Luna said. "And I really can't stay long. Ron's at home watching the puppies and he's working the night shift at the joke shop."

"All right," Hermione began looking. "So I know normally I'm supposed to pick your gifts out myself but do you guys want necklaces or earrings?"

"There were some really pretty silver necklaces over there," Cho said motioning over her shoulder.

"Oh, I saw those," Anna said. "They were really nice."

Hermione followed her friends over to the display. "Ooh, I like those," she peered over her cousin's shoulder.

"Is there anything I can help you ladies with?" another clerk said, coming over to them.

"Yes," Hermione pushed her way to the front. "We'd like to take a closer look at these, please." she pointed to the case.

"Excellent choice," the woman said, stepping behind the counter and unlocking the display. "This is sterling silver, of course. And we have a number of charms and pendants that go with the necklace."

"Great!" Hermione beamed. "You guys can each pick out something to go on it."

The clerk pulled out another display of charms and all of the girls huddled around the counter to make their choices.

A half hour later, all five girls left the shop satisfied. "They'll have them ready in a week," Hermione put the sales slip into her purse.

"Thanks so much, Hermione," Luna said, giving her friend a hug. "I really should get going. I'll owl you later, okay?"

"Sure," Hermione hugged her cousin and Luna goodbye.

"One month left, Hermione," Cho said, grinning at her friend.

"I know," Hermione smiled as she, Anna and Cho began to walk down the street.

"I can't believe how calm you are," Anna commented. "I'd be so nervous, but you are just so...together."

Hermione shrugged. "I guess I don't figure there's anything to be nervous about. This is Harry... just Harry."

"Just Harry must have been just a little surprised when you sprung your little idea on him," Cho said with a laugh. "How'd he take the news?"

Hermione made a face. "He talked me down," she sighed. "There's just something about that face he makes, and those eyes of his, that I can't say no to."

"Which explains why you were late today," Anna teased.

"Sod off," Hermione said. "You try saying no to him when he gives you 'the look'."

"She's as lost a cause as he is," Cho said.

"Thanks a lot," Hermione pretended to be offended. "Anyway, what are Neville and Chiaki up to while you're here?"

"She and Neville were baking biscuits," Cho said laughing at the memory of it. "Well, he was anyway. She was the official taster."

Hermione and Anna laughed. "She's so cute. I love how her eyes light up when she sees you."

"She's my little angel," Cho said.

"Aye and Harry's as well." Hermione smiled. "You should really see him around Chiaki, Anna. He absolutely adores her."

"He and Ron are both spoiling her rotten," Cho said shaking her head. "I was thinking of maybe getting one of Paddington's puppies for her. You don't think she's too young for a dog, do you?"

"She's a year and a half," Hermione mused. "That really depends on whether or not you're planning on having any more babies." she grinned at her friend.

"We're trying," Cho said.

"Lots and lots of trying right?" Anna teased.

"When we can," Cho said, blushing a bit.

Hermione laughed. "Well I've got to get home, get a bit of last minute studying in before we meet for dinner tonight," she said to Anna.

"Ditto," Anna said. "See you tonight at eight."

"Right," they waved. "You coming back with me for a bit?" Hermione asked Cho.

"Sure, that'd be great," Cho said. "I could sure do with teasing my best mate about getting cut off again."

"Aye and maybe get your money you lost out of him," Hermione joked.

"You read my mind," Cho said nodding.

*** *** ***

Hermione sighed happily as Harry tugged her closer as they walked down the street towards her parents' house. "I'm so glad my finals are over," she smiled.

"You and me both," Harry said. "I could hardly move downstairs with all the books and notes and such lying about."

"Sod off," Hermione bumped his shoulder. "I cleaned everything up!"

"Only teasing," Harry said quickly. "I do feel kind of bad that you're going to be spending all day with your mum going over wedding stuff and I am going to spend it on a golf course getting my arse kicked by your dad. I think you may be the one who got off easier than me this time."

She laughed. "Well if you'd read that book more closely that my dad got you for Christmas you'd be able to show him a thing or two,"

"Perhaps I could use some magic when he's not looking," Harry said, only half-joking.

"Cheater," Hermione grinned affectionately at him.

He laughed along with her until they walked up the driveway to the house. "Please tell me that isn't your grandfather's car," Harry said, frowning. "Your dad didn't mention anything to me about him coming."

"I wonder why he's here," Hermione mused. "Goodness, I've never seen so much of him before. We normally only see him once or twice a year at most."

Harry grimaced. "Did you notice how he started calling me 'Henry'? He knows my bloody name, Hermione. He's just doing it to spite me."

"Harry," Hermione was now the one frowning. "I know my grandfather isn't the nicest or easiest person to get along with. But he IS my grandfather. I appreciate the effort you've put forth with him even though he's so cantankerous."

Harry felt bad. "You're right. I'm sorry. I will be on my best behaviour today. I promise."

Hermione smiled at him. "Thank you love," she kissed him, tugging gently on his bottom lip. "You're the best Harry Potter."

"Except on the golf course," Harry joked. "And you're not so bad yourself, Miss Granger."

"I love you," Hermione gave him another kiss as they stood in front of the door.

Elinore must have been watching them walk up the sidewalk because she swung open the door before either of them knocked or rang the door bell. "Good morning," Elinore said, smiling at them both.

"Mum!" Hermione pulled apart from her fiancé.

"Oh, hush Hermione!" Elinore said with a laugh, ushering them inside. "I've seen the two of you kiss before. How are you, Harry?"

"Good thank you," Harry kissed her on the cheek. "And yourself?"

"Busy as always," Elinore said. "I've decided to take this last month off from the office so I can devote all of my time to the wedding."

Harry grinned at Hermione, who turned so her mother couldn't see her roll her eyes. "Mum, what's Grandpa doing here?"

"He's not been getting out much lately," Elinore explained. "And I don't want him to just sit around his house. I sort of convinced Robert to include him today."

Now Harry was the one to turn his head and Hermione discreetly elbowed him. "Why don't you go find my father Harry," she suggested.

"I could stay with you two until they're ready to go," Harry said.

Elinore grinned. "Don't be silly, Harry. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than talk about flower arrangements and catering. Robert's in the kitchen."

Harry nodded reluctantly. "All right," he said. "Let me know if you need me for anything,"

"See you later," Elinore said, putting an arm around Hermione and leading her into the living room. "Now, sweetheart. We have loads to cover today."

"Mum," Hermione began. "We've already made almost all the arrangements. What could possibly be left?"

"Well, I know you decided on lilies for the bouquet, but what would you think of possibly doing something a little different?" Elinore asked, handing Hermione a portfolio. "One of my patients owns a flower shop in Notting Hill and they have some of the most beautiful arrangements and I thought you'd want to take a look at these..."

Hermione sighed and hoped her cousin would put in an appearance soon. Lavender was a good person to be a buffer between her and Elinore. "They are nice," she conceded. "But I want the lilies for a specific reason."

"Oh, Hermione," Elinore said, her tone apologetic. "I completely forgot. They're in honour of Harry's mother. I feel so terrible."

"It's okay Mum," Hermione replied. "Maybe we can work some into these," she pointed to one of the pictures.

"That's wonderful," Elinore said happily. "And I told Ruth---she's the florist---that we'd come in and see her tomorrow afternoon."

"All right," Hermione replied. "What time is the dress fitting this afternoon?"

"One," Elinore said, setting the florist's portfolio down on the coffee table.

"Okay," Hermione leaned back on the sofa. "Merlin, I can't believe that the wedding is coming up so fast. It feels like just a few months ago that he proposed."

Elinore nodded. "My little girl is getting married. It seems like just yesterday I was teaching you how to walk."

Hermione grinned. "Time sure flies," she said.

"Yes it does," Elinore said. "So, Hermione...have you thought anymore about how you wanted to wear your hair? Because, I really do think it will look much better down."

"Mum!" Hermione groaned. "I'll wear my hair the way I want to!"

Elinore ignored Hermione's comment and picked up a bridal magazine and thumbed through it until she found the picture she wanted. "See, look at her!" Elinore said, laying the magazine on Hermione's lap. "That's just like your dress and that girl has the same hair as you. Look how beautiful her hair looks down like that with the veil."

"That's not the veil I have," Hermione said. "Mum, I'll figure out how I want to wear my hair when we get closer to the wedding all right?"

"Fine," Elinore said, forcing a smile. "Whatever..."

Hermione sighed. "Mum I'm not trying to be difficult here okay? I just don't know how I want... my final look to be yet. I want to wait until my dress is fully put together with my veil and then I'll see."

Elinore smiled. "You're right. There's plenty of time for that."

"Right," Hermione leaned against her mother.

"So, has Harry given you any ideas about the honeymoon yet?" Elinore asked, deciding to change the subject. "I know he said he wanted it to be a surprise, which I know is killing you."

"No," Hermione frowned. "I wish he'd give me one or two tiny hints."

Elinore laughed. "Well, I'm sure whatever it is, it's very romantic and lovely."

"I'm sure it will be," Hermione said, idly flipping through another magazine. "Harry's very good with the romantic stuff."

"That's where you lucked out," Elinore said.

Hermione grinned. "I really did luck out didn't I?"

"Yes, you did," Elinore said. "And so did Harry."

*** *** ***

Lavender stood back and looked at Hermione. Her cousin stifled a yawn as she held her arms up so Lavender could take a better look at the side stitching.

"There's still something....missing," Lavender finally said, looking critically at her handiwork and shaking her head.

"What could be missing?" Hermione rolled her eyes. "There's nothing else that could fit in this dress Lavender."

"You wouldn't understand," Lavender said. "You're not a designer."

"Guess not," Hermione looked at her reflection. She loved the dress she'd commissioned her cousin to design for her. It was quite slim fitting with spaghetti straps and a long detachable train that was currently spread out behind her.

"I think it looks absolutely beautiful," Elinore said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She and Hermione had a nasty row a few months back when Elinore had expressed her wish that Hermione wear her wedding dress. Lavender, of course, had saved the day and told her aunt how she wanted to design Hermione's dress.

Lavender smiled and placed a few pins in the fabric of the dress. "Lot better than that old thing Aunt Elinore wanted to put you in, eh?" Lavender whispered in Hermione's ear.

"Right," Hermione whispered back. "I'm glad you like it Mum," she smiled. "I can't wait for Harry to see me in it."

"He can't see you in it until your wedding day!" Lavender lectured. "You know its bad luck!"

"I know that," Hermione said. "I know all those goofy traditions."

"Goofy or not, I believe in them," Lavender said firmly.

"Right," Hermione sighed. "Can I take my arms down please?"

"Sure," Lavender said. "We're pretty much done for today anyway. I think I'm nearly finished."

"Okay," Hermione stepped down and headed back into the dressing room.

"Hermione," Lavender called out to her cousin. "You really don't have to lie to me to make me feel better. You really do love the dress, don't you?"

"Of course I do!" Hermione called back as she carefully pulled the dress off. "If I didn't love it I wouldn't be here right now would I?"

"I know," Lavender said. "But you know how insecure I can be."

"Lavender, it's a beautiful design," Elinore said reassuringly.

"Thanks," Lavender said proudly.

Hermione came out of the dressing room, handing the dress back to her cousin. "I still can't believe you have your own shop." she smiled. "Honestly, and how you can manage to do Wizarding and Muggle designs at the same time."

"I wouldn't have been able to do it without Madame Malkin's help," Lavender said, gingerly putting the dress back on the mannequin. "And I really enjoy doing the Muggle designs. They're a lot more interesting than robes."

"Well you can't really decorate a set of robes like you can a dress," Hermione replied.

"You'd be surprised what some people want, though," Lavender said, grinning. "I still can't believe that one woman wanted dress robes with feathers. She looked like a stuffed chicken."

Hermione and Elinore both laughed. "That definitely had to be the most interesting set I've ever seen." Hermione chuckled.

"Are you sure you don't want me to add a few feathers to your dress?" Lavender asked teasingly. "Or I know...a bunny tail?"

Hermione shot her cousin a look as Elinore looked at them both quizzically.

"I think I'm missing something," Elinore said, looking between her daughter and niece.

"You don't want to know Mum," Hermione glared at Lavender.

"Inside joke," Lavender explained. "Well, what do the two of you have planned for the rest of the afternoon? More wedding plans?"

"Everything else is pretty much taken care of," Hermione said. "So it's just waiting for Dad and Harry to finish golfing."

"And your grandfather," Elinore reminded her.

Hermione began to giggle. "I wonder how they're doing out there with Grandpa. Maybe they'll finally break through with him."

"I wouldn't count on it," Lavender said shaking her head. "He's pretty set in his ways."

Hermione shook her head. "Harry really wants to impress him too. He thinks Grandpa hates him."

"He doesn't hate him," Elinore said. "Harry doesn't really think that, does he?"

"I don't' know if he thinks he HATES him," Hermione said thoughtfully. "But he doesn't think Grandpa likes him at all."

"It's just the way he is," Elinore said, defending her father. "He's always been that way your father. He's that way with Seamus. He's that way with Harry. He doesn't think anyone is good enough for his girls."

"I keep telling him that but he says he has to keep trying," Hermione shrugged.

Elinore opened her mouth to respond, but her mobile phone trilled. She excused herself and went into the backroom of Lavender's shop to take the phone call.

"Is she still driving you mad?" Lavender asked, keeping her voice down.

"Here and there," Hermione replied. "She keeps bothering me about how I'm going to wear my hair, and she's got a client of hers that's now going to do the flowers. We have to meet her tomorrow, so I'm hoping you can go with us." she sighed. "I feel bad being so temperamental, because I know they're paying for all this and I'm their 'little girl'... but at the same time I like having my own say in things."

"I can understand that," Lavender said. "It's all she can talk about with me, too. I wasn't going to mention this, but she doesn't like that you chose blue for the bridesmaids' dresses. She thinks you should have picked peach or yellow."

"You guys all liked blue," Hermione replied. "I only went along with the colours you liked! The only thing I said I didn't want was red."

"I know that," Lavender said, motioning for her cousin to keep her voice down so Elinore wouldn't hear them. "How do you think I feel? I've been put in the middle between the two of you."

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised. "I don't want you to feel that way."

"It's okay," Lavender said. "I just hope to stay neutral, but I'm on your side mostly. I do have one thing to say, but I promise that your mum didn't put me up to it. It's just my own, honest opinion."

"What is it?" Hermione asked, slightly wary.

"I think you should wear your hair down," Lavender said slowly. "I just think with the style of the dress and the veil...it would look so much better down."

"I've been thinking that too," Hermione said. "Although since we're going into the salon the day before the wedding to try out hairstyles, I figured I'd try one of each to see what I liked better."

"That's a good idea," Lavender said, as Elinore rejoined them.

"I just spoke with your father," Elinore said to Hermione. "They just finished up."

"Great," Hermione hugged her cousin. "Thanks again Lav. We'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course," Lavender said, hugging her back. "Give Harry my best."

"Will do," she replied. "Come on Mum, time for some damage control."

*** *** ***

Harry sat in the back of Robert's car, wishing the ride back to the Granger's was shorter. Malcolm was currently holding court in the front seat, and was being his usual charming self.

"Where on earth did you learn to play golf, Henry?" Malcolm asked. "All I have to say is it's a good thing you're not a professional at it, you'd not make any money at all."

"I never played until I met Robert," Harry replied, trying to keep his voice from sounding too aggravated. He truly wanted Hermione's grandfather to like him, but it seemed as if that goal was less and less plausible the more they saw of him.

"Come on, Malcolm," Robert said, keeping his eyes on the road. "Harry didn't play that badly. He's improved every time he's gone out there."

"Thank you Robert," Harry smiled. "That book you gave me at Christmas actually had some good tips."

Robert opened his mouth to respond, but Malcolm turned around in his seat and looked at Harry. "What is it that you do again, Henry?"

"It's Harry," He replied. "And I work in law enforcement."

"I'm sure we've told you that hundreds of times, Malcolm," Robert said with a sigh. He'd enjoyed the afternoon about as much as Harry with Malcolm's snide comments every two minutes.

"Law enforcement," Malcolm repeated thoughtfully. "Are you going to work at Scotland Yard?"

"No, just somewhere in London," Harry said, choosing his words carefully.

Malcolm was silent for a few moments and both Harry and Robert relaxed, hoping it he would keep quiet until they returned home. No such luck as Malcolm again turned around and looked at Harry. To Harry's surprise, however, Malcolm's comments weren't directed at him, but at Robert.

"I still can't believe you allowed your only daughter to live with a bloke before they were married," Malcolm said finally.

Robert looked properly at his father in law. "I don't control Hermione Malcolm," he said coolly. "I let her make her own decisions. And besides that she's happy. What more can I ask for my daughter besides that?"

Malcolm nodded. "I suppose you're right. Hermione's happiness is what matters most."

Robert nodded. "That's exactly how I feel."

"Same here," Harry added.

"So, what about your family, Henry?" Malcolm asked. "I haven't met them yet, have I?"

"You've met my friends, and they're my family," Harry answered.

"Malcolm, I'm sure Ellie has told you about Harry's parents..." Robert said, also choosing his words carefully. He didn't want to bring up any soft spots for Harry. "And besides, which...he's a part of our family now."

Harry smiled at Robert through the mirror, his words meaning more to him than he could possibly say.

Malcolm only nodded and then turned around and looked out the window of the car.

"So, Harry," Robert said. "Hermione tells me that you won't tell her where your honeymoon destination is."

"No, I want it to be a surprise for everyone," Harry said. "I'll tell everyone where it is at the reception."

"She's dying to know," Robert said. "I heard her and Ellie speculating about it the other night. I take it you haven't shared this news with Cho, right?"

"Of course not," Harry replied. "I'm surprised she kept me proposing a secret. We had to blackmail her so she wouldn't."

"Lovely girl that she is, she can't seem to keep her mouth shut," Robert said with a laugh. "And that little girl of hers is going to be a heartbreaker when she grows up."

"Tell me about it," Harry grinned. "And she's already being spoiled rotten by me and Ron."

"That's what godfathers are supposed to do," Robert said. "I really do wish I would have had the opportunity to meet yours. He sounded like a great man."

"He really was," Harry replied.

"What happened to your godfather?" Malcolm suddenly asked.

"He was... in the same line of duty I'm going into," Harry said hastily. "He was killed during a... robbery."

To Harry's surprise, Malcolm looked at him sympathetically. "I'm sorry to hear that, Harry."

Harry tried not to show his shock, but nodded. "Thank you Malcolm."

Malcolm gave a slight smile and turned back around.

Harry shared a surprise glance with Robert as they turned into the driveway. "I hope Hermione and Elinore are back," he said.

"They should be," Robert said, parking the car. "Ellie said they were on their way home when I phoned her."

Harry jumped out of the back seat. "I'll help you with the clubs," he offered as Malcolm wandered towards the house.

"Sorry about Malcolm," Robert said quietly to Harry. "He tends to talk without thinking, sometimes."

"It's all right, Ron does the same thing except he's not crabby all the time," Harry replied.

Robert laughed. "Well, despite his faults, Malcolm does really care about Ellie and Hermione and Lavender. I expect that's why he's the way he is."

"I think so too," Harry nodded. "I guess it's just one of those cases where we just grin and bear it."

"How about we go inside and grin and bear it over some ale?" Robert suggested. "I think we both need it after today."

"A double?" Harry laughed.

"You're on," Robert said laughing as he followed Harry inside the house.