Unofficial Portkey Archive

At Last by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

At Last

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Thank you all so much for the response we've gotten in this story. It is four chapters---and that's not going to change. We've already finished this story and are hard at work on Part IV. Ginny and Draco will play a BIG role in that one, but you aren't going to hear anymore from them in this story. As always we appreciate all your thoughts and comments---please continue to review!

Hermione was standing in the closet throwing some items in her overnight bag---a pair of pyjamas, her dressing gown, her shoes. The bachelorette party her friends had planned was taking place at Ron and Luna's flat. After the party, Hermione and the rest of her wedding party were going to stay at Luna's.

She couldn't believe that the next time she set foot in this cottage, she'd be a married woman. Harry entered the closet and started absently going through his jumpers and shirts. "Hot date?" Hermione asked teasingly.

"What makes you think that?" Harry joked.

"Well, this is the second time you've come back in here to find something to wear," Hermione answered, trying to hide a laugh. "Where on earth are they taking you that you're so worried about what to wear?"

"Nice try Granger," Harry replied with a grin, taking a dark blue shirt off a hanger. "But for the last time, I'm not telling you where we're going tonight. Just as I still don't believe you when you say you're only staying at Ron and Luna's."

"I don't see why," Hermione said, pouting. "I AM going to Ron and Luna's. I told you we're just having a simple sleepover. I imagine the wildest thing we'll do tonight is putting mud on our faces or something like that."

Harry laughed. "Right," he pulled off his t shirt and slid the other one on, buttoning it up the front. "We're just going to some club, they won't tell me where yet."

Hermione nodded, unconvinced. She decided to have a little fun with her fiancé. "Um, Harry. I hope you don't mind, but my mum thought it might be nice if my dad and grandpa came along with you tonight."

"Say what?" Harry spun around.

"I thought I'd mentioned that," Hermione said, turning away from him so he wouldn't see her trying to keep her laughter at bay. "My dad was really excited about it, too. He thinks it will be just the thing you lot need to bring you closer together. Grandpa was really excited about it, too. He's not had a proper night on the town in ages."

Harry narrowed his eyes at her. "You know, I think you just might be pulling my leg here Granger."

"I most certainly am not," Hermione said seriously. "If this is such an innocent night on the town, I wouldn't imagine you'd mind having my dad and grandpa come along."

"Since when would your grandfather like doing ANYTHING involving me?" Harry asked, crossing his arms.

Hermione couldn't hide it any longer. He certainly had her there. "You should have seen the look on your face!" she said, laughing.

Harry growled playfully and ran towards her. "You think you're hilarious don't you?" He dropped her unceremoniously on the bed.

"That I do," she said giggling.

Harry kissed her. "You know, the next time we're on this bed we'll be married," he moved his mouth over her neck.

"One more day," Hermione said happily. "It seems like only yesterday you were teaching me how to dance...and look at us now."

"I know," Harry laughed, digging his fingers into her hair. "What a crazy turn life has taken hasn't it?"

"Yes it has," Hermione said, kissing him.

Harry pulled her over on top of him, opening her lips to kiss her deeply. "I can't wait for tomorrow... and tomorrow night," he grinned wickedly.

"Me too," she whispered. "I've missed being with you, but it really will be worth it tomorrow night. I promise."

"I know it will," Harry brushed her hair back. "Otherwise I wouldn't have gone along with the whole deal..." he laughed so she wouldn't think he was serious.

She smiled down at him. "Just promise me one thing...you'll behave yourself tonight. I don't want you hung over tomorrow afternoon at the altar."

"We've got a potion brewing already just in case." Harry replied.

The doorbell chimed downstairs and Hermione groaned. "Well, we know that's not Ron..."

Harry grunted as she got off him. "I want you to behave yourself too tonight," he grinned cockily at her.

"I will," she said, sliding off the bed. She went into the closet and retrieved her bag. When she came back out, she found Harry still sitting on the bed. She smiled at him. "I guess this is it."

"This is it," Harry nodded. He leaned over and gave her one last kiss. "Have fun tonight okay?"

"You too," she said softly. "But not too much fun---if you know what I mean."

"Right," Harry replied. "Exactly."

"Okay, well I'll see you tomorrow afternoon," she said, still standing in front of the bed. "I'll be the one down front with the veil."

"And I'll be the one hyperventilating at the altar," he joked.

"I'll make sure Ron has a paper bag for you," Hermione said, punching him hard on the arm.

He laughed. "See you tomorrow," he kissed her again.

Hermione smiled and headed for the door. "Behave yourself," she called over her shoulder.

"That goes double for you!" Harry shot back.

"Good night, Mr. Potter," Hermione said to him.

"Good night future Mrs. Potter," Harry called cheekily.

*** *** ***

Ron laughed as his best friend downed the pint he had just gotten. "That's a boy Harry!" he shouted over the loud music.

Seamus motioned for the bartender to get them another round. "I should have brought my camera along to film this for posterity."

"What and have the girls see this a few years down the road?" Ron snorted. "Definitely not one of your better ideas Finnigan."

"Couple of years down the road?" Seamus asked, shaking his head. "I was thinking we'd show this at the reception tomorrow."

Neville shook his head. "Not a good idea Seamus, not with Hermione's father there. He'd behead both you AND Harry. We don't want Hermione to be a widow already do we?" he grinned at Harry.

"Don't mention her grandfather!" Ron interjected before Harry could respond. "That man is scary! And we're supposed to be having a good time!"

"Right," Neville raised his glass. "Get the groom another drink!

"So this is your very last night on earth as a bachelor," Ron said as the bartender handed Harry another pint. "You'll sleep with the same woman---night after night, day after day."

"You say that like it's such a bad thing," Harry replied.

"I didn't say it was good or bad," Ron said defensively. "Hell, I'd be lucky if Luna was the only woman I ever slept with..."

"That's because Luna's the only woman who'd have him," Luke said cheekily.

Harry laughed at his redheaded friend. "Are you saying you plan on sleeping around Ron?"

"No," Ron said, shoving Harry. "I didn't say that at all. You know that I never know how to articulate...I love Luna...only Luna."

"And Susan Bones, and Padma Patil, and Pansy Parkinson," Seamus grinned at him. "Ron's been in love a lot," he told Luke.

"PANSY PARKINSON?" Neville practically screamed. "I never knew you went out with her! Ron, she was a Slytherin!"

"I didn't!" Ron's face was bright red even in the dimly lit club. "Seamus is just being a prick."

"You used to talk about her in your sleep," Seamus continued grinning. "We saw him staring across the Great Hall at her a couple of times, too."

Harry slugged down some of his pint. "I remember that," he nodded. "Ron was a lovesick fool."

"I never liked her!" Ron said defensively.

"You did too," Harry chortled.

"Did not!" Ron retorted. "What are you looking so smug about, Finnigan? As I recall, you once said that in the right light Millicent Bulstrode was and I quote--quite pretty."

Now it was Seamus's turn to turn red. "That was in second year before she got huge," he muttered.

Luke laughed. "Well, what about Harry? Who did he fancy when you were at school?"

Ron grinned. "Let's see, you started with Cho..." he began

"He went to the Yule Ball with Parvati Patil," Neville chimed in.

"You really didn't have a lot of time for stuff like that though," Seamus said a bit thoughtfully.

"I guess a little thing like saving the world could sort of create havoc on your love life," Neville teased good-naturedly.

"Aye," Harry lifted his glass. "But now I've got the best girl in the world and she's marrying me tomorrow!"

"Here, here!" Neville said, raising his glass.

Harry drank his pint down again as Ron shouted encouragement. "My head's starting to spin," he moaned.

"Mission accomplished," Ron said proudly. "But maybe we should CUT HIM OFF until the Veela Snatch."

"Shut the fuck up Ron," Harry replied. "I'll be getting it good tomorrow night."

"Play your cards right and you may get it good tonight," Ron teased. "I'm only kidding, of course."

"I promised to be good," Harry said.

"And we were all threatened by his fiancée that we had to make sure he keeps that promise," Neville reminded the group.

"She can be a bit scary when she's mad," Neville said.

"A bit scary?" Ron asked. "You obviously have never eaten her biscuits or came in to the cottage without knocking..."

Harry grinned. "I forgot about that time you ate all her biscuits," he laughed. "Ron was shaking so hard his knees were knocking."

"She was about as bad as her grandfather," Ron said, shaking his head. "At least we know where she gets it from."

"Hey," Harry frowned. "That's my fiancée you're talking about."

"I wonder what the girls are doing right now," Neville said, standing in between his two friends. "Ron, did you get anything out of Luna?"

"Not a word," he shook his head.

"Lavender looked pretty smug when I saw her," Seamus said. "She's up to something."

*** *** ***

"Hermione!" Lavender sang out. "Are you ready for the best evening of your non married life?"

"The best evening of my non married life was spent with Harry," Hermione said grinning at her cousin.

Lavender made a face. "Fine, second best."

"Actually the second best was also spent with Harry," Hermione said laughing.

Everyone else laughed as Lavender rolled her eyes. "Well fine, for the LAST night of your non married life, which is NOT spent with Harry... I have a surprise for you."

Hermione frowned. "Oh no. Lavender, please tell me you didn't..."

Lavender laughed. "Oh I did, Hermione."

"Lavender!" Anna squealed. "You didn't tell us you were doing that!"

"Surprise!" she clapped her hands together.

"But we're not dressed for...you know," Hermione protested. "We're sitting here in pyjamas!"

"Like they care Hermione," Lavender tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder. "They're getting paid and that's all that matters." she turned. "Come on out!" she called.

Luna grinned excitedly as she looked at Hermione who was covering her eyes. "Yeah, come on out!" Luna called out.

Anna stared at both of them. "Are you both mad?" she whispered.

"Come on, Anna!" Luna said, swatting her friend on the arm. "There's no telling what our men are doing at this very moment. Why shouldn't we have a bit of fun, too?"

"But I don't think they're doing THIS!" she whispered back.

"I KNOW they're probably doing this," Luna whispered back as Lavender turned on some music. "This will help us forget."

"I know they're doing something like this, if I know Seamus and Ron at all," Lavender grinned as two of her male models came sauntering out of the kitchen.

"Oh my!" Cho said, fanning herself as the first one started dancing in front of her. "I'm not the bride-to-be. You want the brunette over there covering her eyes."

"Hermione I'd like you to meet Beau," Lavender indicated the blond. "And this is Paul," she grinned at the brown haired man. "They're your entertainers for the evening."

Hermione dropped her hands from her eyes and reluctantly stood up. "It's nice to meet you both," she said quietly, glaring over Paul's shoulder at Lavender.

Anna was still watching with her hand clapped over her mouth as Lavender and Luna began laughing and dancing in the middle of the room. "Come on Hermione!"

"We heard you could dance," Paul said encouragingly to Hermione.

"I... yeah I guess I can," Hermione allowed both men to help her up. "I've never danced with anyone but Harry though," her face was red.

"That's not true," Cho teased. "You danced with Dudley!"

Hermione glared at her. "Thanks for reminding me. My feet still haven't forgiven me."

"Come on, Hermione," Luna said, pushing her friend toward Paul. "Show him what you can do."

"That's okay," Hermione felt shy. "I'd rather watch you two."

Paul shook his head. "But they're not the ones getting married...you are." Before Hermione knew what he was doing, he'd spun her around and pulled her close.

Hermione gasped as he pressed himself against her. "Merlin!" she said aloud.

"If Harry could see her now," Lavender whispered to Cho. She laughed as Beau was dancing with Luna and also trying to get Anna involved, but Anna was shaking her head and laughing.

"He'd probably kill us," Cho replied. "Although I have it on good authority that they're at a club tonight..."

"Which one?" Lavender asked.

"I told Neville I didn't like him going there," Cho leaned in. "They're at the Veela Snatch!"

"THE VEELA SNATCH!" Lavender exclaimed. Hermione stopped dead in her tracks and looked at Cho.

"That's where they are?" Hermione asked, pushing Paul away.

"No," Lavender covered. "We were just talking about how nasty that place is that's all."

"That's where they are, isn't it?" Hermione asked. She shook her head and for a few moments, Lavender and Cho wondered if Hermione was plotting storming that particular club and dragging Harry out by his ear. To their surprise, Hermione pressed herself against Paul and began dancing with him again.

"Oh my goodness," Cho said quietly.

Hermione was dancing with Paul, but her mind was racing with questions. Her fiancé had gone without sex for two weeks. Tonight, he'd have beautiful women dancing in front of him. She kept telling herself that Harry wouldn't be unfaithful any more than she would. Besides, she told herself, she trusted him.

"Wow you must really be angry," Paul winked at her.

"Just a little," Hermione admitted.

"You're Harry Potter's fiancée right?" he asked.

"I was until I found out where he was tonight," Hermione joked.

"Oh come on," Paul dipped her back. "I've seen those articles about you two, before I even worked for Lavender. The bloke's crazy about you."

"I know," Hermione said, feeling slightly better. "I'm just telling myself to trust him."

"I'm sure you can," Paul smiled. "And don't be mad at Lavender, Beau and I are harmless. We saw her plotting for a stripper and convinced her to use us instead. We can both use the bonuses."

"I'm not mad," Hermione said as he spun her around again. "I just wish I'd had a little advanced warning, but it was meant to be a surprise and I'm actually having a nice time."

"Good," Paul pulled her close again.

"I can't believe that's where they went," Lavender was saying to Cho as they watched Hermione and Paul dancing. "I have half a mind to go over there and spy on them."

"Should we?" Cho grinned. "I'm very tempted."

"I say we do it," Lavender said conspiratorially. "And I imagine everyone else would go along with it."

*** *** ***

Harry watched with wide eyes at the scene in front of him. He was in quite a drunken haze at the moment but still enjoying himself immensely.

"Doesn't that one look just like Fleur?" Ron asked drunkenly. He shuddered as he remembered that Fleur was now his sister-in-law.

"I guess," Seamus was also quite pissed. "By the way Ron how is your newest in law?" he began laughing as did Harry.

"Pregnant," Ron said, laughing. "Again."

"Malfoy's pregnant?" Harry stared at him in horror. "Am I missing something here?"

"I thought you were talking about Fleur," Ron slurred. "And thanks for ruining my buzz Finnigan by bringing up Draco Mal... what was his name again?"

Seamus snorted. "Your newest in law and you think it's Fleur," he laughed. "Malfoy Ron, Malfoy. Like your sister's name is now Ginny Malfoy."

Ron groaned. "I can't believe of all people---Draco Sodding Malfoy."

Harry laughed at him. "And you're related to him now," he teased.

"Not by blood," Ron pointed out. "If you'd just fallen for my sister, you could have prevented this mess, Harry."

"No thanks," Harry replied. "I liked her as a friend until she turned into a Malfoy clone and tried to break up me and Hermione."

Seamus nodded and motioned for a waitress to bring them another round. As he did so, he thought he caught sight of someone who looked suspiciously like Lavender.

"What are you looking at?" Harry noticed Seamus staring into the back of the room from their front row seats.

"I thought I saw Lavender," Seamus answered, laughing. "But I'm probably hallucinating...or whatever."

Harry looked where Seamus had been staring. "Wait a minute, I think I saw her too!"

"That can't be her though," Seamus slurred. "She's at Loony's."

"Luna's," Ron said, stumbling in his seat. "LUNA."

"Lavender!" Hermione hissed, dragging her cousin behind a wall. "If you keep doing that, they're going to see us!"

"I think Seamus already DID see me," she replied. "But he's probably too pissed to realise it."

"Would you look at that girl?" Luna whispered behind Hermione. "Did you see how she was pawing at Ronald? And he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself, too."

"I don't think Ron realises what's going on," Anna said, peering over Lavender's shoulder. "I don't think Luke does either, and I can't tell if I'm angry or relieved about it."

Cho ventured out from behind the wall to get a glimpse of Neville who was laughing at something Seamus was saying to him. She was relieved to see that out of the group, he seemed to be the one on his best behaviour.

Lavender, who was laughing at something Luna had said gasped as she saw one of the girls onstage come down and plop herself on Harry's lap. "Hermione!" she poked her cousin.

"What?" Hermione asked peering out. Her mouth dropped open as she watched the girl put her arms around Harry's neck.

Harry was almost too pissed to realise at first what the girl was doing. "Um hey..." he uttered. He tried to push the girl away.

"We could go in the back," the girl whispered in his ear. "If you prefer privacy..."

"I'm..." Harry turned his face as the girl tried to lean in. "Hey I'm getting married tomorrow!'

"You're not married yet," the girl pointed out.

Harry pushed her hands down as she tried to run her fingers through his hair. "I may as well be," he said. "I love my fiancée and I'd never cheat on her. Sorry."

The girl simply smiled at him and shrugged her shoulders before getting off his lap. "If you change your mind, I'll be over there."

"I won't," Harry shook his head. She sauntered away and he turned to glare at Ron. "Please tell me you didn't put her up to that."

"I didn't," Ron said. "But hey...you are the Harry Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes. "She killed my buzz."

Hermione leaned against the wall and smiled at what she'd just seen. "Let's go back to Luna's. I've seen enough."

Cho shook her head. "You've got him totally whipped Hermione. I absolutely love it."

"I don't know about all that," Hermione said with a contented sigh.

"Of course you do," Lavender took a deep breath of the night air. "It's no secret to anyone Hermione. I've never ever seen a guy look at a girl the way Harry looks at you."

"He's really great, isn't he?" Hermione asked, not really needing anyone to answer. "I can't believe we're actually getting married tomorrow. This is really happening."

"Yes it is," Luna gave her a one armed hug.

"And I can't wait to see his face when you come marching down the aisle in that dress," Anna chimed in.

"I'm looking forward to seeing him dressed up, too," Hermione said. "I just might need one of you to catch me when I swoon."

All the girls laughed. "Well let's get home so I can pay Paul and Beau," Lavender said. "Then I think you need a good night's sleep Hermione. You're going to be busy from the moment you wake up tomorrow."

"You're right," Hermione said, wondering how she was going to be able to sleep as excited as she was. She said a silent prayer that nothing would mess up her wedding day.

*** *** ***

Harry stumbled out the door, laughing at Ron who was even more pissed than he was. "We're a right mess aren't we?" he leaned against the side of the club.

"Harry! Where are you? There's like four of you," Ron said, trying to focus.

Seamus snorted. "Come on you guys," he had stayed sober to make sure they all got back all right. "Let's get you that potion so you're not sick in the morning."

"We wouldn't want that," Harry said, leaning on Neville for support.

"Nope," Neville stumbled a few steps.

Ron started giggling again and Seamus just shook his head as he helped his friend along. "How much did you drink, Ron? I lost count after the tenth shot."

"This many," Ron held up all his fingers.

Seamus laughed. "That many, eh? Well, it's a good thing you're not a Muggle or you'd have one hell of a hangover."

"Right," Ron mumbled as he nearly fell over some pebbles. "Stupid Muggles."

"Hey my in laws are Muggles," Harry said. "That's not very nice of you Ron."

"I didn't mean they were stupid," Ron said, turning around and getting in Harry's face. He tried to pat Harry on the shoulder, but missed by nearly a mile. "They're good peoples. Good, good peoples..."

"Right," Harry said dubiously as they came upon Neville and Cho's place, where they were staying for the night.

"We need to be really, really quiet," Ron practically yelled. "We don't want to wake the baby."

"The baby isn't here you git," Neville said. "She's with my Gran."

Ron, obviously thought this was funny as he nearly collapsed in a fit of giggles.

"Let's never take him drinking again," Seamus said, helping Ron to his feet.

"No kidding," Harry said as Neville disappeared into the kitchen and came out a few minutes later with the sobering potion. "Thanks," he drank from the mug quickly.

"No problem," Neville said, taking a sip from his own mug. He hadn't drank nearly as much as Ron and Harry, but he definitely didn't want to wake up with a raging headache tomorrow. Neville looked at his watch. It was nearly two in the morning.

"What time is it?" Harry asked, the effects of the potion already making his alcohol induced haze fade away.

"Nearly two," Neville answered. "It's officially your wedding day."

Seamus grinned at his friend. "Getting those tied down feelings yet?" he teased.

"He had them the moment she agreed to help him at Hillsdale," Neville said, grinning at his friend.

"You're one to talk," Harry replied.

Neville nodded. "I wouldn't change a thing."

"Same here," Harry sat down on the sofa, pulling the blanket on the back of it over himself. "I'm going to sleep..."

"That sounds like a plan," Neville said, heading toward the bedroom. Ron, who had collapsed at the foot of the sofa the moment they'd entered the flat, turned over. "Reckon we should just wait until the morning to give him the potion, eh?"

"He'd probably deserve it," Harry mumbled, his eyes already shut.

"Good night, Mr. Granger," Neville said turning out the lights.

"Sod off Longbottom," Harry said as sleep overtook him.

*** *** ***

All around her, people were bustling about over last minute details, but Hermione felt unbelievably calm. She wasn't nervous. She'd been asked that question loads of times since they'd woken up this morning, since she'd arrived at the church. She kept telling them all that she was perfectly fine. Everyone looked at her as if she was crazy, but she kept reassuring them that she was absolutely fine.

Hermione sat in a comfortable chair as Lavender was applying her makeup. Hermione still hadn't made up her mind about how she wanted to wear her hair and if her mother asked one more time what she planned to do, Hermione felt she was going to scream.

"Okay," Lavender said, standing back so Hermione could see her reflection. "How do you like your makeup?"

Hermione looked in the mirror. "Brilliant," she smiled. "Thanks Lav."

"Now, all we need to do is your hair and you'll be set," Lavender said. Elinore stepped forward at these words. "What have you decided?"

"I don't know," Hermione said. "Mum don't even start," she held up her hand.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Elinore lied. She resumed her position on the small sofa.

"What do you think?" Hermione asked her cousin. "I'll go along with what you want."

"I think with the veil and the style of the dress that you'd really look beautiful if you wore your hair down," Lavender said. "We could either style it straight or we could curl it...either way would be beautiful."

"I'm in your hands," Hermione said. "Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter. I just can't wait for the ceremony to start."

Lavender smiled. "I think we'll curl it."

She leaned in and whispered in Hermione's ear, "And your mum is looking quite smug and pleased."

"I hate giving her the satisfaction," Hermione muttered back.

"Don't let her get to you," Lavender said, starting to work on Hermione's hair. "She's being a typical mother-of-the bride."

Luna came back into the room and was grinning from ear to ear. "I can report that the boys have arrived. They are all present and accounted for and Harry said that you better not even think about leaving him at the altar."

"Tell him he's stuck with me," Hermione laughed. "I'm not going anywhere."

"And there's some little boy running down the aisle," Luna reported. Elinore groaned. "That would be Nicholas. I'll go take care of that."

"Thanks Mum," Hermione called.

Elinore smiled at her daughter and then left the room.

"The boys are taking it easy. Neville and Seamus were playing Exploding Snap when I left and Harry was listening to some music. Ron was eating, as usual." Luna said.

"How does Harry look?" Hermione asked. "Is he nervous?"

"He looked rather calm," Luna said thoughtfully. "And he was joking around like it was any other day. He's like you, I think. Ready."

"I'm definitely ready," Hermione said. "Well... soon as Lavender finishes my hair and I get my dress on. Then I'll be really ready."

Cho shook her head. "Wait a minute! I can't believe we forgot this! Hermione!"

"What?" Hermione looked alarmed. "What is it?"

"Something Old, Something New...," Cho began. "We forgot about that!"

"That's an old superstition," Hermione said.

"But you have to do it!" Lavender said. "I know you don't believe in superstitions, but its right up there with the groom not seeing the bride before the wedding. Let's see. Well, you've already got the something borrowed---Aunt Elinore's letting you borrow our Grandma Brown's earrings."

"My dress is new," Hermione pointed out.

"The earrings could be considered her something old, too," Luna suggested.

"So something blue..." Cho looked pensive.

"Blue garter," Anna said, twirling it around on her finger before handing it to Hermione.

"Thank you," Hermione laughed.

"Crisis averted," Anna said, smiling at her friend.

"It's really been a smooth sailing day," Hermione said as Lavender finished her hair. "No big problems or anything."

"Knock on wood," Lavender said, knocking her fist on the dressing table.

Hermione laughed. "How much time until the ceremony starts?" she asked.

"An hour," Anna said. "Think you can wait until then, Mrs. Potter?"

"Just barely," Hermione said. "I'd best get dressed then." she smoothed down the robe she was wearing. "It's really nice of this church to let us use the classrooms as dressing rooms."

Elinore walked back into the room and stared at her daughter. A fresh set of tears came to her eyes as she looked at her little girl. "Hermione...you look like an angel."

"And you're not even in your dress yet," Lavender teased.

"Don't cry mum," Hermione grinned. "At least wait till I'm down the aisle with Dad."

"I can't help it," Elinore said, wiping a tear away. "You're my little girl and this is your wedding day! I'm supposed to get emotional."

"I suppose you are," Hermione gave her mother a hug. "Want to help me get into my dress then?"

"I'd love to," Elinore said, smiling at her daughter.

Luna grinned. "I'll just go and check on the boys again. Do you want me to deliver any messages to Harry for you, Hermione?"

"Tell him I can't wait to see him," she replied.

"Will do," Luna said, leaving the room and heading down the corridor to the room where the groom and his wedding party were getting ready. She knocked on the door. "Woman on deck! Is it safe to come in? Are you decent?"

"Come in," Harry called.

Luna walked inside and saw that the blokes were all still dressed in their regular clothes.

"You lot do realise the ceremony begins in less than an hour, don't you?" Luna asked incredulously.

"Yeah?" Ron asked. "What of it?"

"Do you plan on getting ready?" Luna asked, glaring at him. "Of course, I wouldn't want to interrupt your game!"

"Come on, Luna," Harry said. "I've never beaten Ron at Wizard's Chess. I may just have a shot now."

"You'd better be out there in the main hall on time," Luna said. "Or you're in for it tonight Ronald Weasley."

Seamus snickered behind Luna's back and she quickly rounded on him. "And that goes double for you, Finnigan once I tell Lavender."

"In ten minutes we'll get ready," Harry made a move on the chessboard. "It won't take as long for us as it does for you girls. How's Hermione look?"

"Like an angel," Luna answered. "And she wanted me to tell you that she can't wait to see you."

"Tell her I can't wait to see her either," Harry grinned.

"Checkmate," Ron said grinning at his friend.

"Bastard!" Harry exclaimed.

"And my undefeated record is still in tact," Ron said proudly. "We do have time for one more..."

Luna grabbed the chessboard. "No you don't. I'll just take this with me."

"Luna!" she closed the door on Ron's protests.

Harry laughed. "She's right. We should probably get ready."

"How long does it take to put on one of these?" Ron whined. "I enjoy kicking your ass at chess Potter."

"You should," Harry said, standing up. "It's the only thing you're able to kick my ass in."

"May I remind you who caught the garter at Neville and Cho's wedding?" Ron smirked.

"Yes, but that's rubbish," Harry said dismissively. "You weren't the next one to get married, were you? Which goes to show you, that garter was meant for me. I let you have that..."

"Boys, boys..." Neville said. "We've got to be down the aisle in less than an hour."

There was a knock on the door just then. Seamus opened the door to reveal Remus Lupin. "Professor," Seamus said, standing back and ushering Lupin inside. "What brings you here?"

"I couldn't miss Harry's wedding," Lupin smiled at them all. "Something we thought might never happen..."

"Very funny," Harry said, smiling at him.

"I was hoping I might have a word," Lupin said.

"Sure," Harry replied.

Neville, Seamus, Luke and Ron quickly made themselves scarce. Once they were alone, Lupin sat down in a chair. "So how are you feeling?" Lupin asked.

"I'm fine," Harry replied. "Sobering potion."

Lupin nodded and laughed. "You're doing a sight better than James did on his wedding day."

"What was he like?" Harry asked curiously.

"He was pacing about---nervous as could be," Lupin recalled. "It was strange to see. Your father was the most confident person I've ever known and he was so nervous that morning. He tried to put on a front for Sirius, but he told me he was afraid he was going to stumble over his vows or pass out when Lily walked down the aisle."

"Did he?" Harry asked, trying to picture his father as Lupin was describing.

"He was okay the moment he saw your mum though," Lupin said. "She was always beautiful, but on that day, she...she took everyone's breath away."

Harry nodded. "I think Hermione might do the same for me," he grinned.

"I think she will," Lupin said, a wistful tone to his voice. It was times like these when he missed his old friends most. "I'll leave you to get ready then, Harry."

"I'll see you in the church hall," Harry hugged him. "Thanks for coming."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Lupin said. "Good luck today, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry smiled as his friends came back in the room.

"All right, Harry?" Seamus asked.

"Everything's great," Harry pulled his tuxedo shirt on.

*** *** ***

Hermione admired her reflection in the mirror. "I don't know when I ever looked better than this." she said, unable to keep a smile off her face.

Her bridesmaids just stared at her, not knowing what to say. The looks on their faces said it all.

Elinore began to cry again. "Hermione..."

"Mum," Hermione said. "Come on, you don't have to cry! You're going to get me started and then Lavender will kill you for making me ruin my makeup."

"My little girl," Elinore whispered.

Hermione gave her mother a hug as there was a knock on the door. "Come in!" she called.

Her father stepped inside. "Sweetheart, are you ready?"

"I think so," Hermione said, smiling as her father looked at her. "What do you think, Dad?"

"Absolutely gorgeous," he smiled at her. "I see your mother's been in tears again."

Elinore swatted her husband on the arm. "I'm supposed to be emotional."

"I'm supposed to be more emotional," Robert teased her. "I'm giving away my daughter in ten minutes."

"There's still time to change your mind, Uncle Robert," Lavender teased.

Robert smiled at his niece. "Wait till it's your turn dear,"

Lavender grinned. "You'll have to give me away, too."

Robert hugged his niece. "I'd be honoured," he smiled. "Ellie, the head usher is waiting to bring you in first."

"Okay," Elinore said, squeezing Hermione's hand. "I love you, sweetheart."

"Love you too Mum," Hermione kissed her cheek and watched her leave. "All right, I guess this is it." she grinned at her friends.

Lavender handed Hermione her bouquet. "This is it," she said softly. "And we all know that you're beyond ready."

"I'm completely ready," Hermione replied.

Robert held Hermione's free hand and led her out of the room. "I had a few words with my future son-in-law before I came to get you," he said to his daughter.

"What did you say to him?" Hermione asked.

Robert grinned. "I just welcomed him to the family and told him that I was proud to have him as a son-in-law and if he ever thought of hurting you, I'd beat him to a ruddy pulp."

Hermione laughed. "He knows all that already," she shook her head but was still giggling.

"I thought I'd refresh his memory just in case," Robert said winking at her.

They all lined up outside the doors. All the groomsmen were waiting up at the altar with Harry and Hermione grew impatient as bar after bar of Pachelbel's Canon in D was played. "Can't we go in yet?"

"Not until they play your song," Robert said, squeezing Hermione's hand.

"And remember, Hermione---you're to walk slowly down the aisle," Lavender reminded her. "Don't go charging up the aisle like the chapel is on fire."

"I know that," Hermione rolled her eyes at her cousin. "I just don't ever remember this song being so long."

"I feel like a complete idiot," Ron whispered to Harry through clenched teeth. In the middle of the church he saw his own parents beaming at him. Molly was already in tears and Hermione hadn't even made it down the aisle. "Dress robes are better than this monkey suit."

"I know," Harry tugged at his collar. "At least after pictures are taken we can take off the jackets.

"Pictures?" Ron asked through clenched teeth. "Remind me to put you through this same torture when I get married, okay?"

"Everyone has pictures," Harry hissed as Luna came down the aisle. His heart was beating faster and faster as he tried to catch a glimpse of Hermione.

Anna was next and she winked at Luke as she slowly made her way down the aisle.

"Two down, two more to go," Ron whispered to Harry.

Hermione tapped her foot as she watched her friends walk slowly down the aisle. "Lavender you'd better be quicker than that," she whispered.

"I could always apparate to the altar," Lavender joked. "Of course, certain members of the audience would probably pass out."

"Funny," Hermione said. "It's almost your turn."

Cho made her way down the aisle and Harry fought the urge to run down there and push her along. Thankfully, when it was Lavender's turn, she did seem to walk a bit faster than the other three girls.

Hermione gripped her father's arm. "Ready Dad?" she smiled at him.

"Not really," Robert teased. He'd put on a brave front so far, but now the moment had arrived to give her away and he suddenly found himself reluctant to do so. She was his only daughter. Images of her as a baby, as a precocious little girl and as the young woman who stood beside him now passed through his mind. Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked at his little girl. "I love you, Hermione Jane."

"I love you too Dad," she kissed him on the cheek. Hermione heard the music begin to play and the doors reopened. She scanned the room eagerly for Harry and broke out in a smile when her eyes met his.

"Whoa," Ron whispered from behind Harry. Harry didn't really hear him, though. He was concentrating on the vision that was walking toward him. Luna had been right. She looked just like an angel.

Hermione was hard pressed to keep from running down the aisle but her father's arm kept her grounded. What felt like twenty minutes later, they had made it down to the front.

"Who gives this woman in marriage?" the vicar asked looking at Robert.

With a trembling voice, Robert said, "Her mother and I do."

Hermione squeezed her father's arm and gave him another kiss on the cheek as he passed her over to Harry, who was still staring at her as if she was a ghost.

"Hi," Harry finally whispered.

"Hi yourself," Hermione whispered back and both of them faced front as the vicar began to speak.

Harry barely heard the opening remarks as the vicar discussed the meaning of marriage and how it shouldn't be entered into lightly. He tried to listen, but he couldn't stop thinking in his mind that all that he'd ever wanted was right here.

Hermione felt the impatience rise back up in her as the vicar droned on. She wanted to get to the part with the rings so she could say her vows and finally kiss Harry.

"Harry James Potter, do you take Hermione Jane Granger to be your wife? Will you love her, comfort her, and cherish her as long as you both shall live?" the vicar asked, looking solemnly at Harry.

"I do," Harry repeated immediately.

"Hermione Jane Granger, do you take Harry James Potter to be your husband? Will you love him, comfort him, and cherish him as long as you both shall live?" the vicar asked, smiling at Hermione.

"I do," Hermione said, squeezing Harry's hand.

They exchanged rings; Harry slid her matching wedding band on over her engagement ring and Hermione let her hand linger on his for a moment when she put his band on.

"By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife," the vicar smiled. "You may kiss your bride."

Hermione was positively beaming as Harry lifted her veil. Before he could bend to kiss her, she rose up and pressed her mouth hard against his.

The congregation laughed and applauded as the kiss came to an end. The vicar announced proudly, "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Harry James Potter."

Hermione laughed as everyone applauded again and Harry pulled her close. They went down the aisle, both of them wearing identical grins that practically lit up the room.

The members of their wedding party were right behind them and all of the girls were wiping tears from their eyes. Hermione smiled at Harry. "We did it," she said softly. "We're married."

"We did it," Harry echoed. "You look stunning Hermione."

"Me?" she asked, grinning. "Look at you! I wanted to run down the aisle, but my dad wouldn't let me."

Harry laughed. "It was well worth the wait," he bent over and kissed his new wife softly.

"I love you, Mr. Potter," she whispered.

"I love you too Mrs. Potter," Harry couldn't stop grinning as people began to pour out of the church hall.

Molly Weasley walked up to Harry and enveloped him in a bear hug. She was too overcome with emotion to speak and Ron couldn't help rolling his eyes. "Mum, if you're like this over Harry, I wonder how you'll be when I finally get married," Ron joked, shaking his head.

"Harry dear you're so handsome dressed in your suit!" Molly ignored her son. "And Hermione, you look so lovely!"

"Thank you, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione said, giving the older woman a hug.

Molly moved on to Luna as Elinore and Robert approached them. "Oh sweetheart what a beautiful ceremony," Elinore was clutching a soggy handkerchief.

"It really was, wasn't it?" Hermione asked. She hadn't cried all day, but now that the reality of it all was sinking in, tears welled up in her eyes. When her father looked at her with concern, she gave him a reassuring smile. "Tears of joy, Dad. Tears of joy."

"Just making sure," Robert smiled. He leaned over to whisper in his daughter's ear. "Don't let your grandfather see you crying or he'll think Harry said something to make you upset." his tone was joking.

"You're right," Hermione said, laughing.

The wedding party stayed close to the new bride and groom as everyone filtered out, and then they gathered around for several photographs. "When can I take this jacket off?" Ron whined. "It's too hot!"

"Ron," Luna hissed. "You're acting like a child. I'm sure you can stand in that jacket for a few minutes to take pictures for your best friend's wedding. Can't you?"

"Yes," Ron muttered, smiling widely as more pictures were taken.

"Can I get a few of the bride and her attendants?" the photographer asked. Hermione nodded and her side of the bridal party gathered around her as the photographer instructed.

"How does it feel to be married?" Neville asked patting his friend on the back as they watched the girls getting their pictures taken.

"Absolutely fantastic," Harry replied without hesitation.

"I think she feels the same way," Neville said, motioning toward Hermione.

"Neither one of you has stopped smiling since the ceremony ended." Seamus joined them.

"I imagine I won't stop smiling all day," Harry said looking again at Hermione. "I don't think I've ever been this happy and its all because of her."

"It's a great feeling," Neville nodded, looking at his own wife.

"So when do we get to find out where the honeymoon will take place?" Luke asked.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them made themselves scarce before the reception--if you know what I mean," Ron teased.

"We're waiting for tonight, smartass," Harry replied. "And I'll announce where the honeymoon is after the speeches."

"Don't remind me about the speeches," Ron groaned. "I still can't believe I have to give one, but don't worry. Luna helped me out."

"Then we at least know it'll be good," Neville snorted.

The bridesmaids stepped away so Hermione could get some photographs with her parents. She waved her hand to Harry, motioning for him to join them. "Come on, husband," she said beaming at him.

Harry grinned and joined them, curving his hands over her waist. "This is great," he murmured in her ear.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I didn't even know it was possible to be this happy."

"Me either," Harry said as Robert and Elinore moved off and the photographer began snapping shots of just the two of them.

Finally the photographer finished and Ron let out a sigh of relief as Luna finally allowed him to take off his jacket and loosen his tie. "That's much better!" he said happily.

"And you even get to eat pretty soon, too," Luna teased. "You're about as bad as Paddy."

"I am NOT as bad as that monster," Ron said indignantly.

"Yes you are," Luna said smiling at him. "When you don't get your way, you pout and pace back and forth---just like he does. When you're hungry, you get the same look in your eyes that he does when we give him his dog biscuits."

Harry, Seamus and Neville began to laugh at him. "Does he do tricks too Luna?" Seamus sent a smirk Ron's way.

"He does," Luna said smugly. "And he gets rewarded for them, too."

Ron grinned back at his friends. "Take that you lot." he replied.

"Down boy," Seamus said, patting Ron on the head as he and Lavender walked past them toward the parking lot.

Harry was very much looking forward to the ride to the hotel where the reception was being held. "Just you and me alone in a few minutes," he said quietly to her.

"You, me and the driver," Hermione pointed out.

"We can put up the separation," Harry replied.

"Now why didn't I think of that?" Hermione asked. "And they call me the smart one."

"I don't know," Harry grinned as he held open the door to the car for her. "See you lot at the hotel!" he called to his friends.

Hermione giggled as they settled into the back seat of the limousine. "You can drive really slow if you want to," Hermione said to the driver. "Even take us the scenic route..."

"Right," Harry replied. "And if you don't mind, we're going to put this bit up." he hit the button for the separator.

"I missed you so much last night," she said, as he brushed her hair back and kissed her neck.

"I missed you too..." Harry paused, his lips just skimming her skin. "Well... after I sobered up that is." he grinned sheepishly.

Hermione pretended to act surprised. She didn't want him to know that she and the other girls had followed them. "Drank quite a bit, did you?" she asked.

"Aye," Harry said. "Ron got more pissed than I did though."

Hermione laughed, "As long as you behaved yourself..."

"I did," Harry said. "I promise you I did."

"So did I," Hermione told him, touching his cheek. "Other than a couple of Lavender's male models, the night was pretty uneventful."

"Lavender had male models?" Harry pulled away. "Why wasn't I told about that?"

"I wasn't told about it until the two of them walked into the Luna's flat," Hermione told him. "I wanted to kill her..."

"What did you all do?" Harry asked.

Hermione looked away. She was a terrible liar. "You know the usual things one usually does at a bachelorette party. The blokes didn't stay very long and you know after they left, we just listened to music and watched movies. You know things like that. Nothing really big."

"Uh huh..." Harry turned her face back around. "You danced with them didn't you?"

"Just one of them," Hermione admitted. "And it was just because I found out where you went."

"You what?" Harry asked.

"Cho told me," Hermione answered. "And I just had this image in my head of you being surrounded by all these beautiful women and I just...I was jealous. But I only danced with him. Nothing else. I promise. And he had nothing on you, Harry. Nothing."

Harry smiled at her. "I'm not jealous. In fact, I had one of the Veelas try and throw herself at me. Pushed her right away I did," he nodded. "Kept thinking about you all night."

Hermione smiled. "I thought about you all night, too. And all morning..."

"And all during the time before I saw you coming down the aisle," Harry added, leaning in to kiss her.

"And when we took the photos," Hermione said, loosening his tie.

"And when you got into this car," Harry let his hand run down the side of her dress.

Hermione kissed him and felt her resistance fading away. She didn't know if she'd be able to wait until tonight, especially with what he was doing with his hands at the moment.

"I really hope he's taking the long way," Harry murmured. "In fact I could skip the reception altogether."

"So could I," she whispered. "But, it would be really rude to our guests."

"Right," Harry chuckled. "Guess we'd better make the best of it until tonight."

Hermione nodded. "What did you have in mind?"

Harry didn't answer her, not verbally at least. Her mouth melted against his as his fingers twisted into her curls.

Hermione wondered if perhaps two weeks had been too long to make him wait. She brushed those thoughts away as she unbuttoned his shirt, eager to feel his skin under her fingertips.

Harry cupped her face with his hands as he kissed her harder. "I've missed this," he said, his lips brushing over her skin.

"Mmm...so did I," Hermione purred.

Harry pulled away. "If we get started we might not stop," he said.

"You're right," she said breathlessly. "And we did agree to wait until tonight."

"Well also we might look a little dishevelled," Harry ran his hand through his hair.

"Your hair usually looks like that," she teased.

"Yeah so at least I have an excuse," Harry laughed.

"I don't have my wand," Hermione said. "Did you bring yours?"

"Neville's got it," Harry replied.

"What are we going to do?" Hermione asked. "Your shirt's all wrinkled now and I know my hair looks atrocious..."

"Grin and bear it," Harry said. "And your hair looks fine. I'll put my jacket on and when we get in I'll grab my wand and straighten it out."

"Okay," she said relaxing.

"We should be at the hotel in about five minutes, Mr. Potter," the driver's voice came over the intercom.

"Uh... thank you," he called back.

Hermione gave Harry's hand a squeeze. "So...about this honeymoon..."

He laughed. "You'll find out after the speeches," he said.

"It really doesn't matter where we go," Hermione said. "Because we won't leave the bedroom for at least the first 24 hours anyway."

Harry laughed harder. "Right you are love," he leaned in and gave her another kiss.

"This is really real, isn't it?" she asked. "We're married. We're in love. No one's against us. My dad now thinks of you as a son. My grandfather seems to finally know that your name is 'Harry' and not 'Henry'. The wedding went off without a hitch. This has been the best day of my life and I never want it to end."

"You just said it all sweetheart," Harry caressed her cheek gently.