Unofficial Portkey Archive

An Effective Abstraction by Muirnin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

An Effective Abstraction

Muirnin

An Effective Abstraction
By Muirnin Cocan

Chapter Two - Informative

Petunia reached over to the telephone and picked up the receiver already on it's third ring.

"Hello?" Petunia said.

"Oh Hello Mrs. Dursley, my name is Hermione Granger…"

"Yes Hermione, Harry has been just telling me what a wonderful person you are… what can I do for you?"

"Umm… I actually wanted to talk to Harry if at all possible. I'm in Little Whinging now and would like to see him."

"By all means dear, do come over… I know Harry could use a friendly face, why don't you come over and stay to dinner. He's just been telling me about what happened last year…"

"Oh so you know what happened with Sirius?"

"Do you mean his godfather? No not all the details, he was just getting to that part… why don't I let you come over and then he can talk to both of us alright."

"I will be right there, and Thank you Mrs. Dursley."

"No dear, it is you who I should be thanking… it sounds like you have done quite a bit for my nephew over the years… See you in a few minutes."

Petunia hung up the phone then looked out onto the back yard to where Harry was sitting on the garden bench. From all appearances, he looked as if he had the weight of the world upon his shoulders. She stared out after him for several minutes when the doorbell rang.

Opening the door, she saw the young woman who had seemed so close to her nephew just the day before. "You must be Hermione… I'm Petunia Dursley. Come in, come in… Harry is out in the garden."

"Thank you. I hope my visiting isn't going to upset your husband at all, my being here that is." Hermione said timidly.

"Vernon and Dudley have gone away for a few weeks to my sister-in-laws home… so it is just Harry and I here for a while. I think it is for the better, can I get you a cup of tea or coffee." Petunia offered being the gracious hostess.

"Ah… coffee would be lovely. Where is Harry again?"

"He just out back, why don't you go out to see him while I get us all some coffee then he can finish telling me about what happened." Petunia said escorting Hermione out to the greenhouse door.

Harry sat for the longest time on the garden bench; his body slumped over in resolute submission to his future. He finally looked up after sensing someone staring at him. He thought his eyes were playing tricks on him as he recognized the young woman standing not far from where he sat.

Hermione was dressed in a light sundress that was the same periwinkle blue that Harry remembered from her dress robes during the Yule Ball. Her hair was down and bushy as always; untamed and yet soft looking. He could hear a voice in his mind saying off handedly 'oh and you should also tell her you think I'm ugly' with which his mind replied 'but I don't think your ugly'.

No, he did not think she was ugly at all; to him she was beautiful and the dazzling smile she gave him just then lightened his heart. He stood up and began to walk over towards her. She met him half way and engulfed him a tight embrace, holding him and not wanting to let go.

"What are you doing here?" He whispered his voice still with the emotions from earlier.

Finally pulling back from the hug, she answered, "To see you silly. Honestly Harry, did you think I would not be here for you?"

Harry surprised her by hugging her once again. "Thank you… more than you will ever know."

As Harry took her by the hand back into the lounge where Petunia sat patiently sipping a cup of coffee he then said, "I was just telling Aunt Petunia about what happened last week… it's good you are here, I needed to tell you what happened after I got back to Hogwarts and I think now is the right time."

Positioning them selves upon the sofa Harry looked at his aunt and smiled. "Aunt Petunia, talking about what has happened ever since I left last summer is helping me out in ways you have no idea how much. What I am going to say now is going to be news to Hermione as well…"

He began to tell about what happened when they got to the Department of Mysteries and what followed when Hermione was struck by the curse. As he reached that part telling about how he had felt seeing her collapsed on the floor Hermione took his hand gently in hers giving him a reaffirming squeeze.

"Oh my dear!" Petunia exclaimed looking over at Hermione with such a sincere concern for her welfare.

Then Harry went on to explain about Sirius. He kept his eyes focused upon the floor barely aware of the two women in the room. His voice cracked as he told of Sirius going through the veil of death and of his mad dash out past Dumbledore to go after Bellatrix Lestrange.

"I literally wanted to kill her… I hate that woman so much." Harry said and then turning to look at Hermione's face, which was damp with tears, he added "I used Crucio on her." Harry was surprised when he saw a look of triumph appear upon Hermione's face.

"Good, I'm glad you did that… the bitch deserved to be A-K'd for what she did to Sirius." Hermione said scathingly, then turned to Petunia and paled, "Oh excuse my language Mrs. Dursley… but that woman…" she began seething with anger. "So why wasn't she hauled off to Azkaban with Malfoy and the others?"

"I didn't do it right… she said `You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain to enjoy it… then she told me righteous anger wouldn't hurt her for long. About that time she found out that the Prophecy had been destroyed and that's when Voldemort showed up… He actually fired Avada Kedavra at me… Dumbledore had gotten there and saved me. There is no way I will ever be able to fight Voldemort the way that Dumbledore did…"

Harry paused for a moment as he remembered that feeling of possession. "After having been cursed by the Cruciartus myself I thought I knew what true pain was… but then it felt as if my scar burst open and I just knew I was dead; it was pain beyond imagining, pain past endurance… I felt like I was gone from the hall, that I was locked in the coils of a creature with red eyes, I knew this to be Voldemort… and we were so tightly bound that I didn't know where my body ended and his began. In that moment, we were fused together, bound by pain, and there was no escape… I remember that Voldemort had spoken through me using my mouth to speak… I can remember that even through the agony I was saying `Kill me now, Dumbledore…' Every part of me was screaming for release… I felt as if I was blind and dying and then I could hear my voice say `If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy…' and all I could think was 'Let the pain stop, let him kill us… end it, Dumbledore… death is nothing compared to this… And I'll see Sirius again…'. As soon as I started thinking about Sirius and seeing him again I felt my heart fill up with so much love and emotion and then Voldemort loosened the coils he had on me and the pain was gone…"

Hermione's arms wrapped around Harry and she sobbed uncontrollably. Aunt Petunia sat pale faced and shaking. "Shhh, I'm alright Hermione…"

"I cannot believe that you had to go through that Harry… Has every year been like this one?" Petunia said still in shock.

"Not quite… but my years have gone steadily worse than the year before. There is still more though."

"What do you mean there's still more? Wasn't that enough to be going on with? What did Dumbledore do after you got back to Hogwarts?" Hermione said with just a touch of anger building up.

"You are brilliant Hermione… you picked up on the fact that Dumbledore had something to do with what else happened to me. After Fudge and all the ministry cronies got to the Atrium and witnessed Voldemort and Bellatrix escape… He created a portkey and sent me back to his office where I was not allowed to leave. Half an hour later he shows up and tells me that I'm not nearly as angry as I should be with him… I destroyed half his office… You've never been in there but he has tables of stuff… I shattered a lot of the junk."

"Why would he say that you weren't as angry as you should be with him? What did he tell you?" Hermione said her voice on edge.

"Remember after first year I asked Dumbledore why Voldemort tried to kill me." Harry questioned.

"Yes, you told me that he wouldn't… Oh he didn't… Not after Sirius had just been killed… He couldn't… OH DAMN HIM!" Hermione shouted.

"He told me the Prophecy…" Harry said taking Hermione's hand to calm her down.

"The one that was destroyed? He's known it all along…" Hermione seethed with anger again. "So he felt justified to tell you not an hour after your Godfather had been killed why Voldemort has always tried to kill you… Well Harry… you may not be angry at Dumbledore but I am furious…"

"Trust me Hermione… Dumbledore is not one of my favorite people right now… he ranks right up there with Pettigrew and Snape!" Harry remarked, "I know the entire contents of the Prophecy and why my parents were murdered and he told me the real reason that I am here at the Dursley's and why he had refused to allow Sirius to take me the night my parents died.

"I've always known that I was here because Petunia is my mother's sister… and that I would be protected living here… What I didn't know was the blood protection that had been infused when my mother's love saved my life… That was the real reason why Dumbledore wouldn't let Sirius take me… besides the fact that at the time he thought Sirius had betrayed my parents. It's the Prophecy that triggers it all though…

"After I had screamed and yelled and broken up his office he began telling me that sixteen years ago, in a room above the bar at the Hog's Head inn he had gone to see an applicant for the post of Divination teacher…"

"Sibyll Trelawney" injected Hermione bitterly.

"Oh yes… You'll like this part… he thought it was against his inclination to allow the subject of Divination to continue at all. He then explained that this applicant, however, was the great great granddaughter of a very famous, very gifted Seer and he thought it only common politeness to meet with her. Dumbledore said he was disappointed that it seemed that she had not a trace of the gift herself."

"Well that was obvious having been in her class." Hermione snapped.

"He then told her that he did not think she would be suitable for the post and then as he turned to leave she began saying something in a very strange voice…"

"The Prophecy… Harry, are you going to tell me what it says?" asked Hermione quietly.

"I don't want this shared with too many people… I trust you Hermione far beyond anyone else I know… I also felt that Aunt Petunia should hear the real reason her sister was killed and she was stuck with me. Ok… here goes…" Harry paused and took a deep breath and then recited from memory, "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches… born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies… and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not… and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives … the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…"

Hermione's hand flew up to her mouth in a look of horror. "No… you couldn't be the only one that this is about…"

"Actually you're right… originally I wasn't the only one this prophecy could have pertained to. Neville Longbottom was the other boy that had been figured to be part of the prophecy… at least according to Dumbledore." Harry said as he got up and put an arm around his Aunt Petunia's shaking frame.

"But why you?" Petunia said shakily.

"Apparently, when Voldemort attacked that Halloween night and killed mum and dad he only knew of the first part of the prophecy… the part about when I would be born. But when he left me with this scar he marked me as his equal… equal to what I still haven't got the faintest clue."

"So he tried to kill you and not the pureblood… that makes sense." Hermione began to reason. "But what power do you have… I need to figure this out…"

Harry surprised both the ladies by beginning to laugh. "That's my Hermione… have a problem go to the library to figure it out."

"Honestly Harry, you make it sound like I… Ok so maybe I do go to the library when ever I need to study new things… but this is important."

"I know it's important… why do you think I was so quiet all last week. It wasn't just about Sirius dying… Dumbledore dropped this on me just at the time I was most vulnerable. I will NEVER forgive him."

"I don't blame you Harry… He's not the man I thought he was." Hermione said with conviction. "Oh Merlin, what's Ron going to say about the Prophecy?"

"To tell the truth, I sort of don't want to tell him right now. I don't need him getting all jealous or have all kinds of issues right now. Besides, he's still suffering from that brain attack…" then smirking he added, "Not that he hasn't been attacked by a brain before eh? Hermione?"

Hermione gave a slight snort and then added, "I'm not the one that picks ALL the fights with him you know."

Petunia stood up and hugged Harry again, "Why don't you kids go out into the garden while I fix dinner."

"All right" they said together and began to walk outside.

The air was beginning to not be as warm as it was earlier and Hermione gave a slight shiver. "You cold?" Harry asked.

"Sort of but not really…"

"Come over here and sit down." Harry said and then wrapped his arm around her for warmth "better?"

Chuckling Hermione said, "Yeah" then leaning against his shoulder she added with a smirk, "Nice way to cozy up to a girl there Potter."

"Oh like you weren't hinting at all…" smirked Harry who was on the receiving end of a soft punch to his side. "Hey now that tickles."

They both started laughing, relaxing after the intense emotional roller coaster they had both been riding. Harry finally relaxed enough to rest his head against the top of Hermione's as she lay against his shoulder. He could smell a fragrance of flora and berries wafting in the air and after a few moments realized that it was coming from her… She had the aroma of sweetness and sunshine… Closing his eyes he just enjoyed the feeling for a few minutes.

How long they had been sitting out there Harry had no idea but the sound of Aunt Petunia's voice stirred in his senses. He could feel Hermione still tucked up against his shoulder quietly dozing, he smiled and looked over at his Aunt.

"Dinner is almost ready Harry… why don't you both get cleaned up and come to dinner." She said almost reverently trying not to wake up Hermione.

Harry nodded and then placed his mouth close to Hermione's ear and whispered, "Hey there time to wake up."

"Hmm?"

"Hermione… time to wake up. Dinner's ready."

"Comfortable… don't want to move…" murmured Hermione softly.

Harry chuckled softly "But then we won't have dinner and it will hurt Aunt Petunia's feelings."

Hermione's eyes snapped open and stared intensely at the bright green eyes staring at her. "Oh… umm… I guess I feel asleep."

"We both did… Dinner's ready, let's get cleaned up and eat." Harry said giving her a hand to help her up to her feet. Hermione swayed slightly still light headed from just waking up, "You alright there?" He said as he steadied her.

"Umm yeah… sorry, I guess I was a bit more drowsy then I thought." She yawned.

"Will you be alright to drive home?" Harry asked as they walked inside.

Hermione's eyes were fighting to stay open… "Tell you the truth I'm not sure. Let's see how I am after dinner. If nothing else I can take the Knight Bus and leave my car here."

"Or you can just stay here in our guest room Hermione." Petunia said having overheard the exchange with Harry.

"I wouldn't want to put you out." Hermione said suddenly.

"Nonsense, it's just Harry and I here right now and I'm enjoying your company… as I am sure my nephew is as well."

Harry gave a slight grin as he suddenly blushed.

"Let me give my folks a call and let them know that I will be staying before it gets too late." Hermione said picking up her purse and pulling out her mobile. She walked into the hallway as Harry went over to help his aunt.

"That was very nice of you to offer her a place for the night Aunt Petunia." Harry said gathering plates to set the table.

"I meant what I said Harry, I am enjoying her company… I don't think that you could have told me all of what happened last week with out her assistance. She's a very nice girl and very bright as well." Petunia said placing a covered dish on the table. "In some ways she reminds me of Lily."

Harry chuckled again, "Yeah… both Sirius and Remus described mum and Hermione using the same exact words… 'She is the cleverest witch of her age.' Usually it's right before or right after they have reminded me of looking 'Just like James'."

Hermione walked back in "Where can I go wash up for supper?"

"I'll show you." Harry said leading her up the stairs. "So how are you parents?"

"They're fine… surprised I won't be home this evening but then I explained that we had been discussing this last year with your aunt - which given what happened yesterday at the station, they were even more surprised but pleased that things are a great deal 'healthier' as my mum put it for you."

Harry pointed out the guest room and the washroom then went into his room while Hermione cleaned up. He walked over to Hedwig, petting her gently. He made sure she still had food and water in her cage and then noticed an overly thick envelope on his desk. Picking it up he saw that the envelope bore the seal for Gringott's Bank.

Hermione passed by his door at that moment and knocked gently. "Did our OWL results come already?" She said noticing the thick envelope.

"Umm no… here." Harry said handing the envelope to Hermione. He passed by her, then went to wash up for supper before starting to head down the stairs; his very own diversion to avoid opening the envelope.

Hermione stared at the seal and then after noticing Harry's reaction brought the envelope downstairs with her as they gathered in the dining room for dinner.

Petunia noticed the quiet demeanor that Harry displayed once they had sat down to dinner. She had fixed a nice pork loin with roasted potatoes and sweet garden peas accented with pearl onions. Although Harry spoke hardly at all Petunia took the opportunity to get to know Hermione a bit more by asking her questions about her childhood as well as her academic achievements.

"Harry told me earlier he felt that you would receive top marks for your year." Petunia commented.

"Oh I'm not sure… I wasn't able to finish our Astronomy practical… all that business with Umbridge and all… Then in ancient runes, I mistranslated ehwaz. It means partnership, not defense; I mixed it up with eihwaz. Quite silly to make that mistake now that I think on it." Hermione said modestly, although she knew that when she had done it she had been furious with herself.

"Sounds like a very easy mistake to make… Lily had taken Ancient Runes herself and made that same exact mistake." Petunia remembered. "If you had not said you had done that I would probably never have remembered Lily's mistake on her OWL's."

Hermione was quite surprised at how easily it was for Petunia to speak of Lily and of the memory from their childhood.

"What other classes did Lily take do you recall?" Hermione asked hoping that discussion about Harry's mother might draw him out of his self induced silence.

"Hmm, let's see there was something called Arithmancy… the way she described it sounded an awful lot like numerology… That was something that even I understood back in the mid-70's. Then there was her spell classes… she also had some sort of potion falderal. Oh and I do recall that she also took that course that Harry was talking about earlier… Divination."

"Well Divination has always seemed a wooly practice if you ask me. I adore Arithmancy it's probably my favorite class. Sounds like she had the same class schedule that I have, although I did walk out of Divination during our 3rd year… There is a real Centaur that teaches the subject now."

As they finished with their meal, Harry automatically got up from the table and began clearing the plates and dishes. He continued to do this in silence as Petunia and Hermione both watched him carefully. When he was done Harry walked over and kissed his aunt on the cheek thanking her for dinner and then as he was about to say goodnight to Hermione she held up the envelope from upstairs.

"You forgetting something Harry?" Hermione said with the threatening missive in her fingers.

The look on Harry's face was surreal. He showed the same amount of grief that he had shown earlier when talking about Sirius's death.

"What is that dear?" Petunia asked.

"Harry received a letter from Gringott's the Wizarding Bank today… He's avoiding opening it." Hermione stated still watching Harry's expression.

"I don't WANT to open it!" Harry shouted turning to run upstairs.

Hermione looked over at Petunia and sighed. "It could be something about Sirius, I'll take this to him and see if I can get him to open it. Thank you so much for dinner."

"It was my pleasure… I'm glad I finally got to really meet one of Harry's friends… I will let you in on little family secret. One of the reasons why Vernon has always been so against anything to do with the Wizarding world is because his grandparents were Squibs… They never talked about the Wizarding world per say but his father, God rest him, used to be a very bigoted man, condemning all that he saw that was different. It was the way that Vernon was raised and then given that my sister and her husband were magical… well it didn't help matters that I was extremely jealous of Lily."

Hermione walked over and gave Petunia a hug, "Thank you for sharing that with me… it means a lot that you trusted me with that information."

"I've seen how you look at my nephew… I can see that you care for him deeply."

Blushing Hermione answered, "Yes, I love him very much… it just eats me up knowing he is in so much danger. I will do anything I can to protect him."

"I can see why you mistook partnership for defense…" Petunia said with a smile as Hermione blushed even deeper. "Don't worry my dear, your secret is safe with me. Go see if you can help Harry now… You have a good nights sleep."

Hermione turned towards the stairs and as she approached the top she could hear Harry's soft sobs of grief. She didn't even bother to knock on the door, she walked in quietly and put her arms around him rocking him gently as he had earlier for her.

"It's alright Harry… everything is going to be alright." She said quietly.

"Why did he have to come? He was there at Grimmauld when I tried to floo… Kreacher lied to me and it's all my fault that I got you hurt and Sirius died…"

"Harry look at me…" she said trying to get him to focus on her eyes. "It's not your fault… We did what we thought was in Sirius's best interest… Voldemort tricked us… all of us."

"But if I had only listened to you…"

"You did listen to me… you tried to make sure that he wasn't there… you couldn't help it that Kreacher lied…" she had to bring his face back around to face her as he had turned away in shame, "Harry, if we hadn't gone then Voldemort would have gotten the Prophecy. He had his death eaters there… he was there… He would have gotten it for himself if you hadn't been the one to pick it up off the shelf. Sometimes, bad things happen for a reason…"

"But why does the bad things always have to involve the ones I love?" Harry said.

"Voldemort is evil Harry… When I think about what you said earlier about when he possessed you… He couldn't keep possessing you when you were thinking about Sirius… He can't handle GOOD emotions… like love… I think this is the power that he doesn't have… your power to love."

"Dumbledore said something like that…"

"Well then he's not as big a fool as I am believing him to be at the moment then." Hermione said cuttingly causing a chuckle out of Harry.

"You really are angry at him aren't you?" Harry said still with a wave of disbelief at Hermione's words.

"Well aren't you? I mean think about all the SHITE that man has gone and involved us in… I mean really all that stuff with the Philosopher's Stone in our 1st year… He KNEW we were aware of what was going on and yet he still let all three of us risk our lives to keep it from Voldemort. I'm sure he knew more about the Chamber of Secrets then he let on and let's not forget how he manipulated us in 3rd year to rescue Buckbeak and Sirius… I mean really who sends a 13 year old wizard and a 14 year old witch out on a hair brain scheme like that!" Hermione was beginning to pick up her pace at her ranting about Albus Dumbledore. "How could he NOT know that Moody wasn't Moody? I mean seriously… He's supposed to be a fucking Legilimens and yet he couldn't tell he was being lied to over an entire school year? My GOD he has got to be the biggest fucking idiot in the world!"

Harry stared at his best friend with a look of complete shock on his face. "That's some language you have there Miss Granger." Then he started laughing softly.

"Well I'm pissed off at the old bugger." Hermione said huffily.

"You've been thinking about this for longer then my just telling you about the prophecy."

"Yes I have… I stated thinking about it after your name was pulled out of the Goblet of Fire and Dumbledore still let you be involved… I understand all about wizarding contracts and all that shite but by Merlin, Harry you could have been killed." Hermione said with a slight panic to her voice.

"But I wasn't… Cedric died but I didn't." Harry said sadly.

"That's the point though isn't it… Cedric died and THAT is Dumbledore's fault too… Everything that has happened to you over the last 5 years can be blamed directly on Albus fucking Dumbledore. If he had told you about the Prophecy… or hell even told Petunia about it, you would NOT have lived the life you have! I'll be damned if I let anyone manipulate you like that again." Hermione said with solid resolve.

"You now know the prophecy… so you know how dangerous it is to be close to me…"

"Oh don't give me that shite Harry Potter… you are NOT going to push me out of your life just to try and protect me. I won't have any of that. I am in this for the long haul and the first thing we need to do is figure out how you will defeat Voldemort."

"You are serious about this aren't you."

"Damn straight. You saved my life more times that I can remember… I know that if you hadn't remembered I was in the girls restroom crying I would be dead… I also know that if it wasn't for you I would not be friends with Ronald… I am here for you Harry… nobody else. The moment that you both saved me from that Troll I swore to myself that I would stay by your sides… I'm not as close to Ron as I am to you… you are my best friend in every sense, and I will gladly do everything in my power to help you and support your actions… if you are doing something wrong… I'm not afraid to tell you to go stuff it… I'll also make sure that you have an advocate to make sure that every decision you make is the correct one."

Harry was overwhelmed at the amount of support and loyalty that Hermione was proving to him at that moment. He had always known she was brilliant, that she had a clever mind and was loyal to him but this went beyond the call of duty.

"I don't know what to say Hermione… I've never had anyone be so determined to protect me and support me as you have…"

"Well, first thing you are going to do is open this fucking envelope."

Harry laughed again at her choice of language. "You do have a way with words."

"Yes, and if you even breath a word of what I said to Ron I will make sure that Voldemort has nothing left of you to try and destroy… understood?" she said with a smirk that would be worthy of Malfoy which caused Harry to laugh even harder. "Actually to tell you the truth… I've sort of toned down the real me for Hogwarts… I'm all books and cleverness yes… but I have a mean streak that you don't want to mess with."

"I do recall seeing that mean streak when you slapped Draco Malfoy in 3rd year. As we have always said 'you're scary… brilliant, but scary!'" Harry said taking the envelope out of her hands and slitting the seal on the envelope. Just as Hermione began to move closer to Harry so she could read the document as well her mobile rang and she hastened to the hallway to respond.

Harry watched her leave and then looked down at the parchment.

Gringott's Wizarding Bank

2 July 1996

Mr. Harry James Potter
4 Privet Drive
Little Whinging, Surrey

Dear Sir,

As the sole surviving heir to the Prestigious Potter Estate

You are required to be in our offices at 10am 3 July 1996.

Also required to attend with you is:

Petunia Evans Dursley (your legal Muggle Guardian)

As well as the following individuals::

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Cornelius Oswald Fudge
Hermione Jane Granger
Rubius Hagrid
Bellatrix Black Lestrange
Remus John Lupin
Narcissa Black Malfoy
Draco Lucius Malfoy
Peter Pettigrew
Severus Snape
Andromeda Black Tonks
Nymphadora Tonks
Arthur & Molly Weasley
William Arthur Weasley
Charles Prewett Weasley
Fredrick Gideon Weasley
George Fabian Weasley
Ronald Bilius Weasley
Ginevra Molly Weasley

Please be prompt - Anyone not able to attend please contact our office immediately.

Sincerely,

Monshekgarb
Goblin Liaison for House of Black

Banhabarlic
Goblin Liaison Prestigious Potter Estate

Harry stared down at the letter and read it over several times. He knew just by the names on the letter what this would pertain to… Sirius Black's will. Harry hung his head willing the tears to flow, but they were betraying him now as well.

When Hermione walked back into the room she was ashen faced. "Was that requesting our presence at Gringott's tomorrow morning?" She quietly inquired.

"How did you know?" Harry asked handing her the letter.

"That was my mum on the mobile… she wanted to let me know I had just received a letter from Gringott's… I told her to open it and read it…" She scanned the letter Harry had handed her and nodded, "Same as what I received except mine didn't have all the obvious information about the Potter Estates. Let's go downstairs and talk to your aunt."

Harry went over to his desk and jotted a note and then went to Hedwig's cage "Hey girl, take this to Hermione's mum for me alright?" He asked her quietly. Hermione was rereading the letter and had not paid attention to what Harry had said or done.

When they had gone into the lounge Harry saw that his aunt was sitting in her favorite chair holding a parchment similar to the one he held in his hands. "Ah, I see you received it as well." Harry said.

"I have no idea how to even get to this Gringott's Bank…" Petunia said nervously.

"Don't worry, Hermione and I will show you how to get there. As you can see we both have to attend as well."

"What's all this about the Prestigious Potter Estates? Vernon always told me that your family had no money." Petunia questioned.

"I do have a vault at Gringott's that had some Wizarding Gold that paid for all of my books and supplies the last 5 years… I have no idea what this Estates business is… Hell, nobody has even told me where my parents are buried let alone where their house was except for the fact that it was in Godric's Hollow and that is supposedly in Wales."

"Unfortunately Harry, I know very little about the Potter Family… All I had heard from Lily the last year she was at home with mama and papa was that he came from a pureblood wizarding family and that he was a very popular young man. I had been invited to the wedding but by then I had married Vernon and he had refused to allow me to attend. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you more about that side of your family. I guess I never even told you about the Evans side of your family either. You were very little when my mother passed on…" she had tears in her eyes as she realized how unjust she had made Harry's younger life. "Someday Harry I hope to redeem some of my earlier transgressions against you… I hope someday you will be able to forgive me."

Harry walked over to his aunt and knelt down beside her, taking her hand in his "Just the fact that you are saying this now is enough for me to forgive you… I always knew that somewhere deep inside there was a person who was worthy enough to be my mum's sister. No matter how much I tried to fight it I have always held a special place in my heart for you. I hope someday that Vernon and Dudley can also find out how special a woman you are and not abuse your memory that I hold."

"Oh Harry… after all the things that Vernon and Dudley have done to you… you still have compassion enough for me… You truly are your mother's son." Petunia wept as Harry wrapped an arm around her and held her.

Hermione sobbed as she witnessed the exchange between Harry and his aunt. Soon Harry escorted his aunt up stairs and led her towards her bedroom, kissing her softly on the cheek and said good night.

"That was a very nice thing you did for her Harry." Hermione said quietly.

"No matter what else, when she and Vernon agreed to take me into their home she had agreed to become a surrogate mother to me and that alone is cause for compassion. I may not appreciate Vernon nor Dudley, but she has never raised a hand against me." Harry whispered as he walked Hermione to the guest room quarters. "We will be leaving fairly early in the morning… I'll have breakfast ready when you get up."

"Tomorrow is going to be difficult for both of us. I loved Sirius very much. He will always have a special place in my heart." Hermione said with quiet conviction. She wrapped her arms around Harry to hug him goodnight. As she turned to kiss him on the cheek he had done the same and their lips met accidentally. Both pulled away from the other and said a hasty 'good night' as heat rose in their cheeks.

When Harry had been on the other side of his bedroom door he flopped down upon his bed; confused at what had just happened. Had he really just kissed Hermione? With everything he knew about the Prophecy and what his future had to hold, he questioned himself on his original desire to not have a girlfriend until Voldemort was dead…

Then why when every fiber of his being was telling him otherwise… did he want to kiss her again?


Disclaimer: I do not now, nor at any time own any of the Harry Potter characters which were created by J K Rowling with possible additional characters created by Muirnin Cocan. In no way is any money being made, nor copyright or trademark infringement intended. J K Rowling owns all rights as well as various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, with additional motion picture rights belonging to Warner Bros., Inc.

Author's Notes: Many parts of this chapter were taken directly from the text within JKR's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix... some of it I adjusted for POV or for dialogue purposes. I still don't make any claims to being able to write all of those books! *grin* That said, I have had a bit of an issue with the formatting of these chapters for Portkey... I think I finally resolved that so I have reloaded Chapter 1 and just because I am such a nice person I have decided to not make you wait an entire week for this chapter to come out! Go ME! *grin* I have a good start going on Chapter 3 and hope to have it out by next week... If you have any questions about the story, or concerns about how I am writing the characters please feel free to leave those in the review section and I will address them there...

As Always,

Muirnin - "An imaginative mind is a terrible thing to waste..."

@}>---'---,---