Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pensieve by madhu893
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pensieve

madhu893

The Pensieve

"Can I have some of that, Harry?" asked Ron with a piece of banana bread stuffed in his mouth. Harry solemnly handed Ron his pudding and watched him eat it.

"Harry, what's wrong?" asked Hermione with a concerned tone.

"I have to go to Dumbledore's office today, it sounds like I did something bad. But, I don't know what I did wrong!" shouted Harry in frustration as he banged his fist onto the table. All the other Gryffindors eating they're breakfast looked down to their end.

Ron gave them all a grunt and Hermione smiled sheepishly. Harry didn't even seem to notice! He was too wrapped up in his own thoughts to look down the table. Harry covered his face with his hands. His hands slowly moved up to his forehead and he stared at professor Dumbledore.

Dumbledore noticed Harry's eyes and he looked over and smiled. Harry felt uneasy and he just waved. 'Maybe I'm not in trouble!'

"Harry, look!" shrieked Hermione. Harry whipped his head around and saw Ron running around the corner. Harry quickly got up and followed him.

"RON! Where the bloody hell are you going?" shouted Harry as he tried to keep up with Ron's speed.

"HARRY! Just…keep following me!" shouted Ron.

"Well, could you slow down?" panted Harry.

"Sorry, we're here! Come inside!" invited Ron.

They walked into a room with nothing but seven boxes. The walls were covered with some kind of metal, nothing Harry had seen before. The floor was made of cold stone and had a symbol in the center…a very odd symbol that nobody recognized.

"Where are we?" asked Harry.

"I found this room last week, I was looking for the bathroom and then I saw this room. Do you remember it being here before?" asked Ron.

"No, I don't remember it being here! It could be a vanishing room, I read it in Hogwarts: A History," said Hermione as she waltzed into the room.

"HERMIONE! I don't think you should see this," whimpered Ron as he backed away from her.

"I'm staying here if you like it or not!" said Hermione as she stomped her foot on the ground, showing that it was planted.

"Fine, but I warned you!" said Ron. He opened the first box and both students looked inside.

It was a pensieve; Harry recognized it from Dumbledore's and Snape's.

"Who's pensieve is it?" asked Hermione.

"I dunno, but I accidentally went inside it. It was horrible! People all around were screaming. They are all pensieves, I didn't look in any others. But, there is something… different about these pensieves," said Ron, uneasily.

"What?" asked Harry curiosly.

"People can see you and its almost as if you live in that time," squeaked Ron.

"WHAT? Ron, you meddled with others' memories? You can get into so much trouble!" cried Hermione.

"Hey, they shouldn't have kept their 'memories' in an unlocked room! Anyone could have come in!" shouted Ron in his defense.

"True," said Hermione, dejectedly.

"Can we stop fighting?" asked Harry.

Both of Harry's best friends suddenly felt ashamed of themselves. Harry didn't have very good experiences with pensieve. Dumbledore's pensieve showed him that one of his favorite teachers was a person trying to kill him.

"Oh, blimey, look at the time! I need to go to Dumbledore's office, stay here, I'll come back," said Harry as he heard the chime of the clock.

"Return soon!" yelled Hermione after Harry has gone.

"So, lets look into the next pensieve," said Ron.

"Dumbledore? You wanted to see me?" asked Harry as he stepped into his office. An incense burner was smoking and Fawkes, the phoenix, was playing with a toy Harry had bought him this year.

"Yes, I suspect, Harry, that you have found out what I am about to tell you," said Dumbledore.

"N-No, sir," replied Harry, unsure.

"I know everything that goes on in my school, Harry, and every room," hinted Dumbledore with a glint in his marble eyes.

"Oh, Professor, we didn't mean to! We found the room, Ron showed us," blabbered Harry trying to make an explanation.

"Harry, I will not beat-around-the-bush with you, I am on a tight schedule," whispered Dumbledore with a smile and his half-moon spectacles shimmered in the morning sunlight.

"Harry, I want you to go into the fourth pensieve. You will find some very useful information for your own personal use in there. Stay in there as long as you like, make them believe you are their friend. But, make the time worthwhile. I will await your return. In these sort of pensieves, time stops while you are there. Our daily lives will still go on, but only after you have come back. All time will stop!" said Dumbledore with a louder tone and he clapped once. Fawkes stopped playing with his toy and swooped down to Harry.

"Fawkes," said Harry as he strokes the magnificent bird.

"Harry, take only two items with you. Use your items wisely," said Dumbledore as he stood up from his chair and glided to his pensieve. His wand went up to his temple and a silvery substance was at the tip of his wand as he placed it in the pensieve.

Harry cautiously got up from his chair, gave fawkes another pat and left the office.

Harry walked down the hall towards the room Ron had showed him and saw his two best friends sitting down on the cold, hard floor.

"So, what did he want?" asked Ron in anticipation.

"He wants me to go into the fourth pensieve. He said it would personally help me. I think it's about…Sirius. I'm not sure, though," said Harry, staggering on his godfather's name.

"Oh, Harry," said Hermione comfortingly, but Harry just turned away. Every time somebody mentions Sirius' name, he goes rigid.

"Good luck, mate," said Ron as he gave Harry a big pat on the back. Harry looked up at Ron and Hermione and smiled. He was so lucky to have friends like them.

A/N I know this is a short chapter, but I want to put the next events into one long chapter. And this is the starting chapter. I want to see if this story will go anywhere, see if people review it and actually like it! So, if it doesn't go anywhere, then I guess there is no point in wasting my time and writing more!