Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pensieve by madhu893
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pensieve

madhu893

Inside the Pensieve-----chapter 2

Harry looked into the swirling mass of silver. He thought of all the memories he had with pensieves. Dumbledore's pensieve, Snape's pensieve, and then some. But, Harry's experiences with pensieves were not at all pleasant.

"Harry?" cooed Hermione softly as she lightly touched his arm. Harry looked at her, he might not see her again for a long time if he stays in that pensieve.

"I have to take two items, Dumbledore said so. I think I should take my wand and my invisibility cloak," said Harry in a stern voice. He will do it. He will be brave about it.

Harry huffed back to the Gryffindor Common Room and grabbed his invisibility cloak. He ran back downstairs to the room. Ron and Hermione were still there and they were silently waiting for Harry.

"Mate, good luck," said Ron. He was utterly bewildered, I cannot blame him. He doesn't know what his best friend needs to do and he doesn't know why he needs to do it.

"Dumbledore said that even if I stay there for a long time, when I come back, I will come back a second after you see me leave. You will not feel the time difference, but I will. Hermione, you know what I mean," said Harry solemnly. Hermione nodded her head twice and their thoughts floated back to their third year when they saved Harry's godfather and a hippogriff named Buckbeak. They went back in time to do it, and Ron didn't even notice.

Harry decided he better leave quickly. He looked into the fourth pensieve and plunged into its depths. The familiar middle-of-nowhere feeling came to him. It wasn't like apparition; it was more like between worlds.

His feet felt earth and he collapsed. He looked at his surroundings and saw that he was, in fact, in a familiar place. He was in the same room, but there was no Hermione, Ron, or pensieves.

Harry walked around, put on his invisibility cloak and opened the door to get out of the room. Hogwarts looked exactly the same; he couldn't have gone too far back in time. Harry heard somebody call somebody else's name. Startled, he accidentally dropped the invisibility cloak and the person saw him.

"HEY! Who are you?" asked the man. He had black hair and hazel eyes, his glasses were askew and his hair was messier than ever. Harry recognized him instantly as his father. I should have known old Dumbledore wanted me to just learn about the marauders. And to think, I was so worried!

"Er- my name is….Jolly Jacobson," stuttered Harry, he inwardly slapped himself. Jolly Jacobson? What am I THINKING?

"Um, hi Jolly. I'm James Potter. What year are you in, I haven't seen you before!" said James, obviously noticing the uncanny resemblance between them.

"Me? I am in…your year!" said Harry, or Jolly.

"There you are! SIRIUS! Come here, we have a new friend, he's in our year and his name is Jolly Jacobson," said James as Sirius shook hands with Harry. Harry tried to hold back tears, if only he could warn Sirius about the future, and warn his dad!

"You know, I think you could be related to my friend James here, you look a hell of a lot like him. Are you related to the Potters?" asked Sirius as he scratched his chin.

"Um, I don't think so," replied Harry. He didn't know what to do. Should he tell them his identity?

"Well, let's see then. What house are you in?" asked James. Harry said that he was a new kid who had been home schooled all his life and his parent's finally decided to let him join school in his last year so he get proper education for N.E.W.T.'s. He needs to be sorted.

"Well, let's take you to Dumbledore," said Sirius. They talked about Quidditch on the way to Dumbledore's office. James was intrigued that Harry was also a seeker. They decided that they would see if he's good tomorrow.

"Ah, I see young Jolly here has a note!" said young Dumbledore. Harry conjured it when they weren't looking and, luckily, Dumbledore decided he can let Harry stay for his final year. This is very unlike Dumbledore, nobody notified him of this new student. But the year had only just started a few days ago, let's give the boy a chance.

The sorting hat was placed on Harry's head and Harry was sorted into Gryffindor. Even though the hat thought of Slytherin aloud.

"That was a close call, you don't want to be in SLYTHERIN!" whispered Sirius as they were out of the office, he scowled at even saying the name. Harry let them explain all about Slytherin, pretending to not know anything.

"Anyway, lets get you to the dorms to meet the rest of the marauders," said James and they entered the Dorm. Harry saw Pettigrew playing with a rat. Harry could feel anger boil up in his chest. He wanted to strangle the cheater!

"There's Peter and Remus. Or, as we like to call them, Wormtail and Moony. They are our little… nicknames," said James, flashing a look at Sirius. Clearly, they were not ready to tell Harry about the map and Remus being a werewolf.

"Pleased to meet you," said Remus as he shook Harry's hand, the full moon must be coming up. Remus looked very tired indeed. Peter also said hello, but Harry made some kind of excuse not to shake his hand. Harry, once again, introduced himself as Jolly Jacobson.

"Now, isn't that a clever name! I think our nickname for him should be Saint Nicholas!" said Remus.

"Saint Nick!" shouted Sirius as he conjured up some butterbeer.

"Sainty!" bellowed James as he did cheers with Sirius.

"So, what are your names?" asked Harry innocently to James and Sirius.

"I'm Padfoot," chuckled Sirius.

"And I'm Prongs," laughed James. To a person who didn't know the meaning, these names must sound very odd.

"So, Sainty, do you have a broom?" asked Sirius. Harry slapped his forehead and everybody stared at him, he tried to pretend there was a mosquito flying around. How stupid can I be? I should have brought my Firebolt!

"Y-Yes, but I forgot my Firebolt at home!" said Harry; he noticed the slip of the brand. Firebolts weren't invented at that time.

"Hmm, is it a new style? I've never heard of it before!" said James, you could tell he was racking his brain to remember, but he was surprised he didn't know, he was, after all, a Quidditch genius.

"Oh well, it's from…America!" said Harry. His excuses were getting stupider and stupider at the second.

"Well! I've never had a broom from America? I wish you brought it!" said James. He was now more interested in Harry than ever.

"Well, its getting late! We better sleep!" said Peter. Everybody started laughing, they weren't going to sleep now! They just started.

"I ride a Tarantula 450!" said Sirius arrogantly.

"Well, my broom is better. A legendary, antique Blaze 4000!" challenged James. And then they got into an argument about who's broom is better.

"Saint, do you have any pets?" asked Moony. Harry explained about Hedwig.

"Well, I have three pets. A stag, a dog, and a rat," said Remus, chuckling. Harry, of course, knew exactly what he was talking about.

"A stag? Isn't that a bit…unusual?" asked Harry, just so they don't think he knows their secret.

"Yeah, but he is one of my best friends," said Remus. Harry thought it felt weird that he could be having this kind of a conversation with Remus. Right now, Sirius and James were wrestling and Peter was playing with a feather.

"I have to go; a Slytherin said he wanted to bother me. I have to tell him off!" said Peter and he walked out of the room.

Harry's thoughts flowed back to Peter. The traitor! Probably just meeting up with one of his Slytherin cronies and planning ways to kill my father and be best friends with Voldemort!

Of course, in Harry's time, Voldemort is dead. But that is something totally different.

"Come on, lets go down to the common room. I want you to meet one of my friends," said Moony. He led Harry into the common room.

"Lily, this is Jolly Jacobson, he's a new student," said Remus.

"Hi, I'm Lily Evans, Head Girl. If you have any problems or see somebody doing something against the rules, you report it to me!" said Lily as she shook Harry's hand.

"Doesn't he look like James?" asked Remus.

"Yes, loads, but I definitely hope he acts nothing like James. I have had to have so many detentions with him. I told the Head Boy to give James all detentions!" said Lily as she walked away with Remus.

Harry wandered around the room, looking for people he knew. He learned the password to the common room and went exploring, but he was instantly pulled back. He forgot that this was a pensieve! He has to stay at least 20 meters from the person! That means that the person is a Gryffindor student. Most probably his father!

"Jolly, do you want to come to the kitchens?" asked Lily kindly.

"Um, sure, I'll be there in a moment," said Harry. He Ran back to the boy's dorm and grabbed his invisibility cloak and stuffed it in his pocket.

He talked to Lily on the way to the kitchens. She was very nice and smart, she reminded him of Hermione. He felt a sharp pain in the chest when he thought of Hermione and Ron. He was so longing to be with them!

They tickled the pair and grabbed some sandwiches to eat.

"Jolly, I think you will do just fine in this school," said Lily, with a small twinkle in her eyes.