Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unsung Hero by J&M Ink.
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unsung Hero

J&M Ink.

Disclaimer: I take credit for this plot and my own characters, but everything else belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Note: You guys rock, just making sure you knew it. Any and all ideas for Chapter Twelve would be greatly appreciated, since I haven't even started it yet! *yawn* stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this one, so I really hope you like it!

Chapter Eleven

Enchantress of the Night

She ran from her house as fast as her feet would carry her. They never had any visitors, and it would take a couple of weeks for the editors of her father's quack magazine to get suspicious and drop by. If she left now, they would only find his lifeless body. She was determined they would never find her.

But where did she have to go? She was a murderess, but where did murderesses make their abode? Her instinct was to run to Hogwarts, but that would be the first place detectives would search for her, and how much authority did Dumbledore hold over the Ministry? And was the castle even open to students in the summer time?

She once again thought about running to her only friend, Ginny Weasley. She didn't know where the Burrow was, but she could find out if she contacted Ginny. Of course, that would jeopardize Ginny's entire family if they took a killer into their midst.

For a brief moment, Luna thought of tracking down Harry Potter and staying with him until she knew what to do. She knew that, even though he found her somewhat odd, he was kindhearted and would take her in if she explained her situation. Certainly no one would think to associate her with the raven-haired hero of the magical community, and she was certain that Harry was kept well hidden when school was out...which meant, if she somehow found where Harry was, she would have full knowledge of that location, making her an asset to enemies, a danger to Harry Potter.

There was no where Luna could go without putting other people in danger. As soon as she realized this, she stopped running, sat down hard on the ground, and sobbed. She was now truly an outcast, no where to run, no one to run to. She felt the wind pick up around her. It feathered gently around her body, trying to console it's mistress, but Luna pushed it away, ignored her impulse to let it caress her. She knew that it wasn't her powers' fault, but she needed something to blame. She had her wand, she had the clothes on her back, and she had the wind and the road to guide her. No money, no food, no family, no friends.

Hiccupping, Luna looked around her. The trees of this area were prickly. The soil was dry and hard. The air was thick and magnetic, and the sun was shining too brightly. Luna knew that no matter where she went, it would always look like this. The world would always be cruel to her, for that was apparently her fate.

What was she to do? Sit there on the ground and cry for the rest of her life? Succumb to the harshness of the world even though she had been blessed with power beyond her wildest imagination? No...no, she would rise to the challenge of the world, she would show them that they could not, would not break her.

Determined to get herself out of this and get on with her life, Luna swiped the fallen tears from her eyes. When she looked back up, she let out a small noise of surprise. On the other side of the road, standing barefoot on the cracked and dusty Earth, were three women who hadn't been there a few seconds ago.

Luna thought they were women, anyway. It was hard to tell. They had long hair that flowed past their knees. They were unusually tall for women; Luna squinted and realized they were taller than any man she had ever met, either. The reminded Luna of weeping willows, tall, slender and graceful, a regal air about them. The oddest part, however, was the coloring of these women.

They were as white as clouds, and nothing else. Their eyes and lips and other raised body parts were visible only because they had different dimensions. Their clothes, hair, skin, eyes... all white like snow. It was a bright white, too; So bright, Luna wanted to pull her eyes away, but their transfixing beauty made it impossible.

The tallest of the women, the one in the middle, stepped forward. It was then that Luna noticed there were items in the women's arms. The one in the middle held a single sword across her outstretched palms. The woman on her left carried two crossed swords across her chest. The woman on the right had a wand and yet another sword crossed over hers. Those swords were beautiful works of art, long and thin, forged of a light and deadly steel. Their hilts were crafted of precious metals and decorated with priceless jewels. As beautiful as they were to gaze upon, Luna could feel an intense magic radiating from each of them. The single wand was a good three inches longer than a normal wand, made of a polished ebony with a stunning black opal handle. Luna could tell just by looking at the wand that it was no ordinary magical tool. It was a master's device, enhanced only by the mystical powers of black opal and the witch or wizard it was specifically crafted for.

The tallest woman stopped advancing towards Luna and stared at her as solemnly as she could through colorless eyes. Luna was suddenly aware that she was still sprawled on the road, dirty and tear-stained. She slowly rose to her feet, trying to look as respectful as she could, given the circumstances. It took all of her strength, but she was able to match the enchantress's stare. The woman cocked her head to the side, as if she was urging the younger woman before her to act, reminding her of a job she had to do. Luna thought she understood. Tentatively, she summoned a light gust of wind. The three Sages smiled in unison as their white robes fluttered around them.

The two who had stayed behind flung their heads back, eyes to the skies, and opened their mouths wide. A wordless song hung on the air, the sweetest melody Luna's ears had ever had the fortune to hear. She watched the two in awe for a moment, transfixed, and then dragged her attention back to the tallest Sage. She was staring intensely at Luna, and as she did, the sky began to darken. Luna felt the cool bliss of raindrops on her face. She closed her eyes and let the cold water run over her battered body and soul. She reveled in the tranquility of the music and the storm for a moment, and then knew what she had to do. Spreading her arms, she called forth a flow of wind bigger than any she had ever tried to control before, and surrounded herself and the Sages in it. The tallest Sage once more began to advance upon her. As she did, a gust of wind blew gently at Luna's ear.

"There was once a time," It whispered to Luna. " A time when the world was at peace with itself, when the Sun and the Moon crossed the skies hand-in-hand. The rains, stars, gales, and even the human race were a result of their bondage. But eventually, as men corrupted the world, the Sun and the Moon were forced to drift apart, never to come in contact with each other as they took shifts to watch over their wayward offspring.

"In an effort to keep their love eternal, they breathed their essence into one man and one woman. If those two people could overcome the challenges laid at their feet, they would find that, together, they could conquer the world and bring peace back to all. Each hundred years, a new pair is forged...and each hundred years, as men become more and more corrupt, the security of the universe slips farther and farther away.

"The Mother Moon gave her precious winds to her successor for protection. We are yours to command Luna, until your entire story is written and finished. It is your duty, as the Warrior of the Winds, to fulfill the prophecy or fade into oblivion as those before you did."

"Enchantress of the Night," Luna heard the woman's voice echoing in her mind, summoning her back to the task at hand. "Your destiny is sealed. Do not falter from the road that is your fate. The greatest parts of your journey are for you to forge on your own, dear Luna. Do not let your future keep you from living in your present."

She stopped a good twelve inches away from Luna and held out the majestic sword. Luna moved her hands so they were outstretched in front of her. The Sage hefted the blade in her hands and laid in Luna's, pressing the sharp edge into Luna's palm. Luna watched as her blood seeped around the steel and the flesh. The weapon was now officially hers.

"We will teach you," The Sages said to her as one. "We have chosen the most worthy to help you on your quest, and when we are through instructing you, you will rival them in swordsmanship, magic, stamina, bravery, and stealth. Listen hard and listen well, Luna, Enchantress of the Night, for the fate of this world rests upon a thread, and it is by your actions and decisions that will decide whether the thread is to be severed or spared."

~*~*~*~*~

After that, the Sages visited her every night. Luna found a deserted clearing in a forest and made a meager refuge for herself there. At least one came to her every night, starting at sunset, and they worked throughout the evening practicing swords and magic. The training was intensive and draining, but in several short months, Luna was a master at both kinds of dueling.

One fateful say, she dared to take a risk and visited Diagon Alley. She stopped in a cafe to purchase a drink when a rough hand grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her around.

"Luna Lovegood," Lucius Malfoy said, his eyes glinting with wicked pleasure, his words dripping with a twisted delight. "We've been searching for you for a year now. You are wanted by the Ministry for the murder of your father, Eric Lovegood. You have eluded us, but no longer. Come with me."

He grabbed her by the wrist and towed her from the cafe. Luna stumbled along behind him, attempting to look afraid, all the while concocting a plan in her head to get herself out of the Ministry's clutches. Her moment came when Lucius turned to shove her into the back of a black van. Luna's free hand whipped out her wand and blasted Lucius with a Curse that sent him flying back into the steel frame of the automobile. Free of him, Luna turned on her heel and ran as fast as she could. Suddenly, her legs collapsed under her like jelly. Snarling, Luna uttered the counter Curse and scrambled to her feet as they regained their composure. Not soon enough, though. Lucius was upon her again, snatching her wand from her hand and taking her by the hair. Roughly, he jerked her head back to look at him. As much as she knew it would hurt, Luna wrenched her hair out of the man's fingers, dropped to the ground, swung one leg out to knock him down, then sprang back to her feet. Lucius went down, but his associates were now pouring out of the black automobile, overpowering her and forcing her to her knees in surrender. Limping, Lucius came over to where Luna was thrashing wildly on the ground. She calmed when he approached, raising her head and peering angrily at him from behind the mess of hair that had fallen in front of her face. A new idea in mind, Lucius took out his wand and spoke a word. Instantly, Luna toppled over at his feet, momentarily unconscious. Mr. Malfoy smirked as the men who had brought this feisty child down carried her to the van.

He would feign ignorance to the Ministry, claiming that their lead had been a false one. Luna had fought well those few moments ago. All that awaited her at the Ministry was a make-believe trial and life in Azkaban prison. He knew it would be a shame to watch such a pretty, vivacious thing fall victim to the insanities of Azkaban. Smiling wickedly, Lucius got into the van and took a seat beside Luna's limp form.

He had other plans for this one.

~*~*~*~*~

Luna's body hadn't felt so wonderful in months. She smiled in her sleep and snuggled tighter on herself. Her body felt like it was resting on clouds and surrounded in loving arms. She felt warm and comfortable and safe...and as soon as she realized it, she was afraid.

Instantly awake, Luna sat up too quickly. Her head went light and her vision went black as her blood rushed through her too quickly. She faltered for a moment, then straightened herself and looked around. She was in the most magnificent bed she had even see in her life: the mattress was firm and soft at the same time, the pillows were woven from silk, the blankets were thick and warm, and the curtains encasing her in the entire structure were a heavy green velvet. Confused, she glanced around and saw no one. Where was she? She remembered Lucius, and the cafe, the fight...but nothing after that. What was she doing here?

Hesitantly, she swung her feet onto the plush carpet and stood. Still no one in the room. Her eyes landed on a pair of elegant glass doors at the other end of the room. Curious, she made her way over to them. A twist of the expensive gold handle and they opened for her, allowing the blast of cold wind they had been keeping out to hit her hard in the face.

Luna ignored the gust and walked out onto the balcony, mesmerized by the scenery. Mountains, as far as the eye could see. Majestic, silver mountains wearing caps of blindingly white snow. Pulled by the desire to drink it all in, Luna went to the rail and dared herself to look down, but all she could see were the clouds beneath her. She was completely and utterly cut off from the rest of the world while she stayed in this tower, of that much she was aware. Snow began to softly fall around her as she assessed her situation. She wondered if she could shape the air to support her and float down from this beautiful isolation....

"Marvelous, isn't it?" Asked a soft voice from behind her. Luna whipped around to face her companion. Through the gently falling snow she saw the shape of a person in the doorframe. She wasn't able to discern whether it was a man or a woman, but just the mere sight of their outline in the fading light was enough to give her chills.

When Luna didn't respond, the person in the door came a little bit closer. Her back pressed to the stone parapet, Luna slowly edged away from the approaching individual. She realized she didn't have her sword or her wand with her. The only weapons she had were her two bare hands and the cold air around her. The snow started to thicken, the faceless person was getting closer, and Luna was running out of railing.

"I've heard your name fall from the lips of those in the Ministry, Luna Lovegood," Said her pursuer in a silvery voice that made Luna stop edging away. The snowflakes were falling madly now, and Luna lost sight of the speaker. She gasped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced at the hand from the corner of her eye. There was no doubt it was the hand of someone male. She held her breath, waiting for what would happen next.

"You're wanted for the murder of your own father," Came his sultry whisper in her ear. Her legs turned to jelly at the sound of that voice, out of both fear and longing. Suddenly, she felt an undeniable lust to break bones and slit skin, to feel the succulent surrender of her victim. How could one dangerously soft voice do that to her?

"Lucius says you're quite the fighter," He continued, moving his hand from her shoulder to the base of her neck. Luna shivered involuntarily, and she felt his breath warm on her neck when he smiled. "The wizarding world is on the brink of war, Luna, and I could use a warrior like you. Deadly...powerful...ambitious..." She felt him move behind her, and gasped when she felt his mouth on her neck. She trembled as he kissed her, and winced in surprise when she felt his teeth nip at her tender skin. "Beautiful..." He breathed into her ear. Luna wasn't sure what to say, what to do. Who was this man, and what did he want from her?

"Join us. Join me," He said, as if he had read her mind, and Luna felt compelled to nod her head.

'No,' Something inside her warned. 'No, this isn't good, this can't be good. Don't give in, Luna, don't say yes...'

"My name is Damien," He said softly to Luna after running his tongue over the shell of her ear. "The Dark Lord needs more allies, and I am his right hand man. Join me, and I can give you everything you want. Power, riches, and love. You can stay in the castle, and you will be cleared of all your charges. All I ask in return is your valiant services in the war. You went to school with Harry Potter, yes?"

Suddenly, Luna understood. He was one of the bad guys, he was working for Voldemort. He thought she was a cold blooded killer, and he wanted her to go after Harry.

"No," She said sternly, wrenching herself out of his grasp.

"What?" She heard Damien ask, his silken voice incredulous.

"No." She repeated solidly. She looked around to locate him, but it was impossible to see anything through the thick walls of snow.

"No one says no to the Dark Lord," She heard him hiss somewhere to her right. She knew she would have to fight him now, and she felt the wind lacing through her fingers, begging her to call it into action. She stiffened her body and waited...waited...waited....

Luna felt Damien's attack before she even saw the colors erupt from his wand. She rolled underneath it, steadied herself on her knees, and with two hands, blasted him with all the wind she could harness. She heard Damien grunt and fall over from the force of her attack. Livid, Luna got to her feet, placed her palms together, and slowly drew them apart, parting the veil of snow as she did. He lay there, crumpled on the ground, staring at her in amazement as she controlled the winds. It was the first time she had laid eyes on anything more than his silhouette, and she was caught completely off guard by his yellow eyes. The hood of his cloak fell back, revealing the rest of his face, and Luna uttered a cry of horror. She lost her control on the wind as she fell to her knees, gasping for breath.

"So the prophecies are true," She heard him say softly to himself as he got to his feet. "You may be more of a boon to us than I thought, my lovely."

Luna heard his incantation and felt her body slowly going numb. She had no idea what she would do when she woke up again, but she knew she would refuse to aid their cause. She remembered nothing after that.

~*~*~*~*~

The years passed by in a blur. Luna got her information from the wayward winds that passed by her balcony. Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort were engaged in the Finall War. Albus Dumbledore was dead. Constant information about people she had once known found its way to her ears. She commanded the winds to protect her friends, and they did as they were told. She stayed in her tower for those first four years of the War. Damien and Lucisu visited her often, attempting to coax her onto their side. Either that or they would threaten her. But Luna knew they wouldn't go through with their threats. She was too precious to them for them to kill her, and if they were to find someone she held dear to her heart, they would be too afraid of invoking her wrath to bring them any harm. Not that there were any people in the world she held dear to her, anyway. Killers weren't allowed feelings like that.

So she waited in the tower, waited and practiced her dueling skills and spoke briefly with her Sages. Her time to return to the War would come soon. She wasn't sure what she would have to do, but she knew she had to get the information she had learned at the fortress to Harry Potter before he made a rash decision. Then, one morning, she was sent an unexpected telegram from a very unexpected person...

She listened to it with rapt attention, then turned from her balcony to get her things. It was time to go back; time to live the life fate had chosen for her.

~*~*~*~*~

Luna pulled her shaking hand away from Ron's temple and watched as he opened his eyes and looked at her. Both of them were covered in sweat from the intensity of the vision she had showed him. They stared at each other for a long moment, thousands of thoughts and questions running through their mind. Luna wasn't sure if Ron was the one she was looking for...Ron didn't know what he had gotten himself into by bringing Luna on this rescue with him.

"Let's get Hermione and Draco back," Luna whispered, not sure what else to say, but aware she had to stem the silence before it gained control of them and they ended up doing something they would both regret. Ron nodded hastily, trying to slow his breathing down. He longed to hold her and kiss her, to do everything he could to try and erase those past years, even that past afternoon, but he knew he couldn't.

Luna stood on trembling legs, looked around her at the mess their argument had made, and then realized too late that she had used too much energy by telling Ron that story. As her eyes rolled up in her head and her vision and thoughts slowly went fuzzy, she was aware of Ron's arms saving her from her fall, and then nothing else.