Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unsung Hero by J&M Ink.
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unsung Hero

J&M Ink.

Disclaimer: I take credit for this plot and my own characters, but everything else belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Note: This is it for a whole three weeks, and if I don't get tons of amazing reviews, I might just have to end it with this chapter. Recommend it to your friends and your friends' friends. 25 days from now, I expect to come back and see a million reviews, because I wrote this chapter especially for you guys!

Chapter Nineteen

The Truth, By Way of Fire Whiskey

After Seraphine had left, Ron had sat in the tall grass for a while, watching his sword sway ever so slightly with the wind, his mind lost in thought. He remembered the way he had felt as he had watched that sunset from Hogwarts, two days before Harry and Hermione had married. The premonitions were back, stronger than before, warning him of the unknown dangers that lay ahead. How did that night seem so long ago, as if an eon had passed from then to now, when in all actuality it had only been about two weeks?

So much had happened in that short time span. Luna, Draco, Lucius, Damien, Hermione, Isabella, and now Seraphine, each playing a vital role that could change the very outcome of the War. With a heavy heart he looked northeast and shading his eyes against the sun, looked past the forested mountain they had come down from to find the faint gray outlines of the taller, snow-capped peaks waiting about four days in the distance. What would they find when they reached the base? Were Draco and Hermione safe? Would there be an ambush waiting? Would Luna follow or fall through with the plan of getting them all out? And where the hell was this town Luna had spoken about? They could use with a few new supplies.

Ron heard a scream. Startled, he glanced around and realized it was coming from the cottage. Instantly he was on his feet, ripping his sword out of the ground and running to Luna. His heart beat fast as he burst through the door, afraid of what he was going to find. He looked around and saw no one. There was another scream, and it came from behind the closed door that led to the bedroom. In two steps, Ron had crossed the room and was flinging open the door, muscles tensed and ready to fight whoever was distressing Luna, but there was no one there.

Ron blinked, confused, and then a flurry of movement caught his eye. He turned to face the bed, crouching into a fighter's stance, only to find Luna thrashing around under the sheets. He blinked again and watched her. She was clearly having a bad dream; her face was screwed up in agony, she turned back and forth, and her arms flailed around her. She screamed again, and Ron saw this time that she was even crying.

"I didn't murder him!" She wailed, her voice frantic and desperate. "I didn't murder him! No... no...NO! Daddy, NO!!"

Ron wasn't aware that his sword had fallen from his hand to the floor. He dropped to his knees beside the bed and shook Luna's shoulder. "Luna, Luna, wake up," He urged, understanding what she was dreaming of and how she felt. He often woke up late at night, soaked in sweat and heart racing, when he dreamt about his own first kill. "Luna, you're dreaming, it's only a dream, Luna, WAKE UP!"

Her eyes snapped open and Ron breathed a sigh of relief. He saw Luna's hand move, but didn't realize what was going on until the razor sharp edge of her sword was pressed menacingly against the side of his neck. Luna had been keeping it under the pillow and was now rolled onto her side, her eyes wide and wild, her wrist ready to flick the blade and decapitate him if she thought him a threat.

"Luna...it's me...it's Ron..." He said slowly, careful not to move so he didn't upset her and lose his head. He watched as comprehension dawned on her. She exhaled heavily and forced herself to roll on her back where she silently laid spread-eagled, sword forgotten in her right hand, eyes wide and chest heaving. Ron watched her for an intense, wary moment, making sure that if he moved she wouldn't attack him. When he was certain she was awake, he moved from the floor to the bed. He sat carefully down next to her and watched her as she regained her composure. Her eyes flicked over to him.

"They...they usually keep him out of...my dreams," She gasped. She kept her face turned towards him, but her eyes suddenly acquired a far off, lost quality to them. She stayed like that for a moment, deep in thought, and then focused on him again. "We should go. We need to keep moving if we want to get to Damien on time."

"Why so soon?" He asked. With a groan, Luna sat up, leaving her sword discarded next to her. Ron tried very hard not to trace her slender outline with his eyes and failed, especially when she arched her back to stretch.

"Because we lost three days while you slept and recovered." She said without looking at him. "And because this cottage was my mother's and makes me uneasy. We'll go to town for supplies and then be on our way. If we lose much more time, we'll be compromising Draco and Hermione."

Without even a simple glance his way, Luna got to her feet and went to the corner to pack her things. Ron watched her buckle on her belt, strap her sword, tug on her cloak and heave her bag onto her shoulders. She went to the dresser to collect her wand and stuck in behind her ear for safekeeping, then left the room. She closed the door behind her, leaving a very lonely Ron alone on the bed, wondering what to do next.

~*~*~*~*~

Luna personally knew one of the women who ran the desks at the entrance of the small town and got them through the magic barrier without questions. She found the supply store and Ron placed an order with the wizard who ran it for the things they needed. The storeowner agreed to have the supplies shipped to the front gate for them, but since he was waiting for his own shipment of supplies, and since half of what they needed was in that shipment, they would be forced to wait until morning. There was an awkward silence between them as they left the shop. They had a whole evening to kill before they were ready to leave. Luna, her mind still reeling from her nightmare, spotted a cozy looking pub.

"I need a drink," She informed Ron, and then started off for the door. Deciding he could also do with a drink, Ron followed her inside. They seated themselves at a circular table for two in a corner and waited for the waitress to take their orders.

"Make it a double Gillywater, sour," Luna said to their buxom brunette waitress when she came over to their table. The witch jotted it down and turned to Ron, her chocolate eyes twinkling as she looked at him. Ron didn't notice her interest; he was too busy watching Luna, whose head was in her hands.

"Fire Whiskey," He said without looking up. He missed her plump mouth turn into a pretty pout as she took his order and walked away. They sat in silence until their drinks came, Luna still not looking at Ron and Ron intent on nothing but Luna. When the waitress set their glasses down in front of them, Luna attacked hers with a ferocity Ron never knew she harbored. Ron reached for his Fire Whiskey and took a sip, watching Luna as she threw her head back and drained the entire Gillywater. She slammed it down on the table when she had finished, folded her arms across the table, rested her chin on them, and looked at Ron for the first time since he had interrupted her dream.

"What're you in this for, Ronald?" She asked him suddenly. Ron raised an eyebrow at her and took a larger swig from his Fire Whiskey, oblivious to the searing heat that rolled down his throat. Considering all he knew about her, he figured he owed it to her to tell her his story.

Ron set down his half-finished Fire Whiskey and flagged down their waitress. She sauntered over to him, eyes alight at finally having his attention. "Can I help you, sir?" She asked sweetly. Ron nodded and indicated his glass.

"I'm going to need a few more of those, if you please."

~*~*~*~*~

"I guess it all started four years ago, the day the War began," Ron said slowly, looking down into his second glass of Fire Whiskey, his eyes distant as he remembered it. "Death Eaters swarmed the castle...you should remember; it was during the school year. Harry, Hermione, Draco and Ginny were off fighting them. I had gone back to Gryffindor tower for my sword--I had found it that very morning--so I could fight. I remember climbing through the portrait hole to return to the fighting...and that was my downfall.

"My older brother, Percy, was standing in front of me, this odd look in his eyes. Just two years before that, Percy had chosen the Ministry of Magic over us, but that still didn't explain what he was doing back at Hogwarts. I asked him, said 'Percy, what are you doing here? What's going on, what's with all the Death Eaters, is everything okay, are Mum and Dad and everyone okay, what the hell are you doing here?' He got this twisted smile on his face and lifted his wand, and I still didn't understand. I forget what hex he sent my way, but I dodged it and hexed him back. We dueled back and forth like that for about ten minutes until he sent one my way that knocked me onto the floor. He came closer to me...I sometimes get nightmares about this part...he came over to me and lifted his wand and said, 'Avad--' and as soon as I realized what was going to happen if I didn't react, I remembered I had my sword, so I grabbed it, closed my eyes, and swung. There was this terrible sound, and I felt blood on my face. I opened my eyes in time to see his top half slide off of his bottom one. I think I was almost sick, but I ran over to him anyway, took his head in my arms. He was still slightly alive...the look he had in his eyes haunts my dreams to this day. His face was all pale, and he looked at me and said...he said, 'Ron...Imperious Curse...Bellatrix Lestrange...protect Harry...'" Ron stopped, shook his head, and drained his entire second glass of Fire Whiskey in one gulp. He felt the burn in his throat, but there was nothing behind his eyes. He had shed so many tears over Percy's death in the past four years that it was impossible for him to cry for his brother any more. He reached for his third glass. "He died right there in my arms. Bellatrix assassinated Fudge and used Percy to get to me. She figured I would end up leading him to Harry, but Percy...he fought the Curse. He couldn't speak to me, so he dueled me instead, lured me into killing him so Harry would survive that night.

"After that, Bellatrix took out my mother and father and two more of my brothers. The day George died, I swore I would someday kill that bitch and avenge their deaths. I also swore that, as reconciliation for Percy's death, I would do as he asked and protect Harry until the day that I die. Once Harry asked me to help started ARMED, I grew used to protecting people and vowed to spend the rest of my life making sure we won this war and that no one else should have to suffer the losses that people like Harry and you and I have." He shook his head again and threw back another shot, then hailed the waitress for another two glasses. She brought them, her expression impressed at his ability to hold down such strong liquor. Luna contemplated Ron with serious eyes as he picked up his next glass and swirled around the liquid inside. He had something on his mind.

"You meet so many people when you spend your life saving others'," He said quietly, still not downing the whiskey. "So many people...and even though you try your best, you can't save everyone every time. It's a lonely job, being the hero. I finally understand how Harry feels, I guess. I don't want to be the hero...I just want to see my nieces grow up at the proper pace. I want to see the world happy again. I want to be happy again. " He smirked. "You know, all my life I've always been slightly jealous of Harry, but now we're equal. We're both orphans, we're both heroes, neither one of us has more money than the other, and yet...he's still happier than I am. Probably always will be, too. Harry's a good leader and he loves his people, but he doesn't meet nearly as many of them as I do. He's allowed to feel things, allowed to be attached. Look at him and Hermione. So happy, even against the odds..." He grew silent for a moment, then shrugged and drank half the glass.

"I think you've had enough, Ronald," Luna said softly. Ron heard her and set his glass down with a smirk.

"You're probably right," He admitted. There was a warm buzzing in his head, but he knew it would take about two more glasses to do him in. Either way, if he didn't stop he's probably keep at it until he passed out, and a hangover wouldn't be a good way to start tomorrow. He flagged down the waitress once more. It took him a bit of concentration to keep the slur out of his voice, but he was able to successfully ask her where they could find a place to room for the night. The brunette shot an evil look at Luna before telling Ron they had a few rooms open upstairs. Ron thanked her, then set enough money on the table to cover the drinks, the tip and the room. He got to his feet, swaying slightly, then looked at Luna. She was staring at him with an odd look on her face. He felt sure that he had seen that expression on her before, but he was having a hard time remembering where and when.

"Ready to turn in for the night, Luna?" He asked with a yawn, not sure why she was sitting there looking at him like she was.

Luna blinked and snapped out of it. Smiling, she got to her feet and followed Ron up a flight of creaky wooden stairs at the other end of the pub. They traversed an equally creaky and wooden landing until they came to door number three. Ron pushed it open and stepped out of the way for Luna. She smiled and walked in, followed by a slightly tipsy Ron. He closed the door and dropped his gear, looking around the small room. It wasn't nearly as elegant as the last room they had lodged in. The furniture consisted of a bed, an armchair, a dresser and a bedside stand with a vase on it. There was a fireplace across from the bed, a threadbare rug covering the floor, and three wall sconces that were filled with a dull magic fire. There was one other door that led to the washroom, and Luna made a beeline for it as soon as she had discarded her things. Ron settled into the armchair and stared into the fire. He heard Luna start the shower and he couldn't help but smile. He had come to enjoy her company and her small womanly habits.

He must've dozed in the chair as he waited for her to finish, for the next thing he remembered was the washroom door opening. His eyes opened, and the first and only thing he saw was Luna. She was standing there in the exact same outfit she had worn to bed the night they had got the news Draco had been captured. Her long blonde hair hung like a halo around her head. Ron's heart picked up as he let his eyes follow her across the room as she went to get her brush out of her pack. Sitting delicately on the bed, she ran the soft bristles through her hair until it shone like gold. Even caught in such a simple act, she still looked like an angel to him. When she had finished, she set the brush on the stand and turned to face Ron, who was still staring at her. Blushing, he looked away.

"Goodnight, Luna," He said, feigning a yawn and closing his eyes. An odd feeling in the pit of his stomach told him he was being watched, and even though he knew it was Luna, he opened his eyes out of instinct. Luna was standing in front of the chair, hands on her hips, face glowing from the light of the fire. She had that look on her face again, the one Ron couldn't place because of the Fire Whiskey in him. Just looking at her looking at him gave him goose bumps.

"What're you in this for, Ronald?" She asked again, softly and seriously at the same time, as if

she had caught him in the act of something and was giving him the opportunity to confess.

Seraphine's words from earlier echoed in his head as he searched for a valid answer. "Destiny does not wait for your insecurities. If you do not admit who you are in time, the moment will pass you by, and you will be left with nothing to live for." Ron had lied to Luna once already that day. Would he risk doing it again?

Making up his mind, Ron slowly got to his feet and took a step towards Luna. She glared defiantly up into his eyes as if she were preparing herself to be let down again by pretending not to care what his answer may be. Maybe it was the Fire Whiskey taking control, but Ron didn't intend to let her down.

He took her face in both of his hands and kissed her slowly, gently on her lips. When he pulled away, he rested his forehead against hers and looked at her. He never grew tired of just looking at her, no matter how memorized her features were to him.

"I love you," He said softly, holding her eyes with his own. Her expression softened, her eyes growing wide and her mouth falling slightly open. It was as if she was daring herself to believe him. Her silence made him uneasy; had he just made a grave mistake in admitting that to her? Had he actually read all the signals wrong? He was about to pull away and blame that outburst on the Fire Whiskey when Luna threw her arms around his neck and kissed him with a demanding, hungry passion. It took Ron a moment to realize what she was telling him, but as soon as he understood, he began kissing her back with the same fervor. She pressed herself closer to him and he tightened his hold on her. He felt her heart beating against his chest, racing just as fast as his was. A gust of wind swirled through the room, snuffing out every light except the one in the fireplace. It lingered on their entwined bodies as Ron bent down and lifted Luna into his arms. She kissed his eyelids, his nose, his cheeks and his neck as he maneuvered them over to the bed. She willed the wind to leave the room and give them some privacy as he set her down gently on the bed with a lingering, sweet kiss. Once Luna was sure it had gone, she wrapped her arms around his neck again and pulled him down with her.

Note: Please don't kill me for ending there! I reallyreallyreallyreallyREALLY hope you liked it!! Have a good summer; I'll see you in August!