Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Pauper’s Time by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Pauper’s Time

jardyn39

The Pauper's Time by Jardyn39

Chapter 3: Missing

Harry hesitated before knocking on the door to the Headmaster's office. He couldn't quite explain it but he felt something was wrong.

He had just been summoned out of his Transfiguration lesson. Professor McGonagall hadn't said what was in the note she'd just received, but had sent him at once.

The hair on the back of his head prickled again when he remembered the concerned expression she had worn.

Harry knocked on the door.

Professor Dumbledore opened the door and beckoned him inside.

"Morning, Sir."

"Good morning, Harry," he said with a smile. "We have a visitor."

Harry grinned and walked towards the man rising from a seat in front of Dumbledore's desk.

Chief Inspector Hammond grinned back at him as they shook hands. He was wearing a smart, dark coloured suit and tie. A raincoat was folded neatly over the back of his chair.

"Harry, you're looking much better than the last time I saw you."

"Thanks," Harry replied warmly.

"Please, take a seat Harry," said Dumbledore returning to his chair.

"I was just saying to your Headmaster," said Hammond, "this is some place you have here. It looked quite derelict until I got inside. I was sure that drawbridge was going to give way from the creaking sound it made!"

"I don't think we actually have a drawbridge," said Harry laughing.

Harry glanced over to Dumbledore, who was looking down at his desk, wearing an uncharacteristically serious expression and clearly waiting for Harry and Hammond to finish their pleasantries.

"Is anything wrong?" asked Harry.

"Yes, Harry, there may be," replied Dumbledore, looking up. "Kingsley has exhausted their lines of enquiry and he suggested that a detective or investigator might be more help. I asked Peter for help and he has been kind enough to render his assistance."

"But what has happened?"

"Carmen Callidus has gone missing."

Harry was stunned.

"Missing?"

"She was last seen playing in her garden three days ago. Her mother had just sent her out after their morning classes while she made lunch. Carmen said she was going to collect some botanical specimens to compare with an encyclopaedia she'd just got. The garden is walled and protected. There was no sign of any disturbance apart from one thing. A picture frame was found smashed in her bedroom."

Hammond closed is small notebook and looked up.

"I bought Carmen the book and the picture," said Harry, forcing his mind to concentrate. "She picked them as souvenirs at a White Elephant stall."

"The book and the picture are missing. We've traced the stall merchant who sold you the two items. He's got a criminal record, but nothing serious. I also understand that the items weren't of any particular value, so it's unlikely anyone would want them that badly. Besides, why take the child?"

"Voldemort?" asked Harry.

"We are making enquiries now, but at present we do not believe he, nor any Death Eaters, are involved," advised Dumbledore.

"Harry," asked Hammond, "were you or Hermione in touch with Carmen since your trip?"

"Well, yes. I received a couple of letters. There was nothing to indicate anything was wrong. Why?"

Hammond stood and began slowly pacing the room as he collected his thoughts.

"I interviewed the girl's parents and all the regular visitors to the household. I am utterly convinced she lives in a caring, loving home. I also read her diaries and looked through her collections. She is certainly an unusual young lady, very bright indeed.

"Her mother showed me her class books and her experiment notes. Now, everything I read was utter nonsense to me, of course. But, the thing is, I could tell she was incredibly methodical. Apparently she has a passion for Potions.

"Her mother told me they reached an agreement with Carmen not to attempt anything dangerous without adequate supervision. Every risky material was kept under lock and key. My point is that they didn't discourage her from doing dangerous experiments; just that she had to be safe. I'm convinced she would not have attempted anything dangerous on her own."

Harry shivered despite the warmth of the room. Could Carmen have created a potion that vanished herself?

"I'm inclined to believe that either she thought what she was doing was safe, or she had no idea of the risk.

"Now, Mr Shacklebolt has confirmed that there were no traces of unusual magic, potions or anything else untoward. He's confident of that. In addition the house has as many deterrents protecting it, as this place. I can confirm that. I thought I was crossing a plank over a crevasse at one point, so let's rule out non-magical intervention for now."

"The book," concluded Harry.

"Did you see the book, Harry?"

"Not really," he admitted. "Hermione looked closer and Carmen's father had a good look at it."

"Hermione? The Granger's daughter?"

"Yes, Peter, Miss Granger attends this school as well," confirmed Dumbledore.

"May I speak to her?"

"Of course. Is there anything else that could be of immediate assistance?"

"Actually, yes. My biggest disadvantage is not understanding what is real and what isn't in this world. I need a guide. I'd also like a big chalkboard so I can see everything at once."

He turned to Harry and said, "It may not help, but could I please see all your letters from Carmen?"

Harry nodded.

There was a quiet knock on the door and Dobby entered and bowed deeply.

"Dobby, thank you for coming," said Dumbledore warmly. "May I introduce a friend of ours, this is Chief Inspector Hammond, and he is a Policeman and will be staying with us for a while. He is assisting our efforts to find Carmen."

Dobby bowed again, "Welcome, Chief Inspector."

"Please, just call me Hammond," he said bending down and shaking the elf's tiny hand.

"Dobby, please take the Chief Inspector down to the large classroom on the ground floor. The one next to Firenze's classroom is available. Please arrange for guest quarters to be provided and equip the room adequately, including additional chalkboards as required. While he is our guest, the Chief Inspector is to be your responsibility. Provide him with anything he needs and see that he is not unduly disturbed."

"Yes, Sir!" cried Dobby delightedly.

"Harry, you and Hermione knew Carmen best and will assist Peter with his investigations. You will both be excused lessons for the time being. I suggest you collect your papers and meet down in the classroom. I'll send Hermione there once I have explained to her what has happened. I would prefer to tell her myself."

Dumbledore stood and the others followed.

"I will provide any assistance you require, of course. Just inform Dobby and he will fetch me. I am available to you at any time, day or night and I will advise you immediately of any other developments. We can provide you with almost instantaneous transportation as required."

"Thank you, but I feel the answer may be closer to home."

*

Harry dashed into the dormitory and opened his trunk. He grabbed all of his correspondence with Carmen and slammed the lid down again. He was about to turn and run down to rejoin Hammond when he noticed what was lying on top of his bed covers.

"Hydrus?" he asked.

The tiny golden serpent unwound itself and raised its head. Harry recognised the snake as the one Carmen had conjured. A prophecy about them predicted that the snake would rejoin Carmen just before she came back to Hogwarts.

"Carmen has disappeared," explained Harry. "Have you seen her?"

"No, but I felt her go," replied the snake.

"Do you know where she is?"

"No, but I am afraid," admitted the snake. "I hoped you might help."

"Yes, I am going to help. I mean, we're looking for her too. Um, Hydrus, are you alright?"

The snake had lost some of its beautiful lustre since the last time Harry had seen him.

"I am growing weaker. I cannot survive for long without her. Even great distances between us are no problem. This is something different."

Harry steadied himself and asked, "Do you think Carmen is dead?"

"No. I will vanish when she dies. This is something different, but I do not understand what."

"Um, would you like to stay here and rest or would you like to come down with me?"

"I believe I will stay," said the snake wearily. "Call me if you believe I can be of assistance, but I feel I should try and retain my strength."

*

Harry burst into the classroom clasping his letters and skidded to a halt in front of Hammond and Hermione.

Hermione was dabbing her eyes and suddenly all thoughts of golden snakes escaped him.

He went straight over to her and Hermione almost collapsed into his arms.

After a moment, Hammond cleared his throat and asked, "Are those the letters, Harry?"

Harry nodded and Hermione broke away from him with a deep shaky breath.

He handed the bundle of papers to Hammond who immediately sorted the letters into date order and separately placed the puzzle sheets on the tables before him.

"Upstairs," began Harry uncertainly. Hammond looked up and Harry continued, "In my dormitory upstairs. We've got a visitor. Hydrus has come back."

Harry explained for Hammond's benefit.

"Carmen conjured a golden snake while she was staying here. His name is Hydrus and he will become her familiar when she joins the First Years. Anyway, Hydrus isn't too well. He said he felt her go, but he's sure she isn't dead. He said even great distances weren't a problem normally."

"You can talk to this snake?"

"Yes, I'm a Parceltongue," admitted Harry.

Hammond looked annoyed with himself and said, "Forgive me, I'm too easily side tracked in this place. Don't be afraid to remind me that we are here to find Carmen. I can be curious some other time."

Harry smiled at his friend and nodded.

"Hermione?" asked Hammond. "Is there anything similar to Carmen's book in the school library?"

"In terms of subject matter, possibly," she agreed, "although it was definitely not a book about magical properties."

"Okay," said Hammond, "let me tell you my initial theory about what might have happened. This is all pure speculation, mind you."

He walked over to the central chalkboard and began to write as he talked.

"I think Carmen made a discovery either in the book or in the picture. Possibly both, I don't know yet. Anyway, this book was very old and it was an encyclopaedia of plants written before scientific and botanical classification.

"That is a contradiction in terms. How can you have an encyclopaedia without classifications? In fact, it was a very detailed book, but the detail wasn't expressed in modern terms."

Hermione nodded and said, "Most of the botanical books we use are classified by magical use, not modern definitions."

Hammond pointed at her and said, "Exactly! Now, in the real world there are things known as old wives tales. Every so often a brand new scientific or medical discovery is found that turns out to be remarkably similar to an old forgotten remedy."

Harry and Hermione both nodded, not wanting to interrupt his flow of thought.

"Now, just suppose that book reproduced some information in the detailed text that may not make much sense to the likes of me, or even contemporary readers of the book. I'm guessing mind, but supposing the likes of you read it? Or even, a very bright nine year old witch?"

Hermione tutted to herself with annoyance. "I wish I'd paid more attention to it. I didn't even read to the end of one description."

"Can you remember any of the authors?"

"Give me a quiet moment to think," she said and picked up a clean sheet of parchment before sitting at a desk at the rear of the classroom.

"Harry, may I read these letters?"

"Of course you can," he replied at once. "Is there anything else I could be doing in the meantime?"

Hammond picked up a piece of parchment and handed it to Harry.

"Dumbledore said these books might help. They are in the school library."

"I'll go at once."

*

About an hour later, Harry re-entered Hammond's classroom. He dropped the stack of books he had carried back and went over to where Dobby was serving Hammond and Hermione tea while they were deeply engrossed in conversation.

"Harry Potter, Sir," exclaimed the elf. "Has Harry Potter hurt himself?"

"I'll be okay, Dobby, thanks. Someone decided to play a trick on me, that's all."

"What happened, Harry?" asked Hermione seeing his dishevelled look.

"Well, I'd got the books we wanted and I was on my way out when one of the books on the shelves suddenly jumped off the bookshelf and hit me in the back. It sent me flying the first time."

"First time?"

"Yes, I put it back under Madam Pince's disapproving stare, and it jumped right out again. I'm sure she thought I was just mucking about. That time it hit me square on the chest and threw me across the room. I gave up after a while and brought it with me."

Hammond snorted and looked up. He hadn't been listening.

"This is a very bright young lady," he said smiling and waving one of the puzzles she had created for Harry.

"This is clever. Harry, did you finish the puzzle?"

Harry frowned and said, "I thought I had."

"Well, the sentence you found is only a fraction of what she could have concealed in here. Look how she even re-used a few letters."

He held out the sheet and Harry took it. The solved part was confined to a small part of the letter square, it was true.

Harry handed the puzzle to Hermione who grinned at him as soon as she read the solved part.

"Um, I didn't realise," said Harry honestly. "I had no idea there might be more."

Hammond picked out the largest puzzle square. Harry hadn't even begun to solve that one.

"Now, Harry. This is important. Is this the only puzzle she sent you after your trip?"

"Yes, definitely."

"Then this is the one she might have concealed a clue what she was planning."

"Really?" asked Harry.

"Actually, yes. Look, in her letters to you, Carmen told you everything she'd got into trouble for and what she was planning with regard to her studies. She trusted you completely, probably because you wouldn't be inclined to lecture her or tell her what to do."

"I should have told her to be more careful," said Harry regretfully.

"We don't know what happened, do we? Frankly, I'm clutching at straws here, but let's try and solve this puzzle."

*

Three hours and a plate of Dobby's finest sandwiches later, they still hadn't solved any part of the puzzle.

Hammond had gone back to the original puzzles for some inspiration.

"In these earlier ones, Carmen gave hints and clues how to solve them. Either on the puzzle or in her letters. Each puzzle became more complex than the last, but she kept it fairly simple until the last two."

Hammond reached for the letter again.

"Harry, what are these drawings of?"

The margins of the letter were decorated in Carmen's lovingly drawn sketches.

"Those are of Quidditch. It's a kind of game, you score by throwing a ball through one of the three hoops."

"How many points for the middle hoop?"

"Ten points for scoring through any hoop. Why?"

Hammond didn't answer. He was busy counting letter columns and rows. He marked the page with a tiny pencil mark and stared at the puzzle, now pacing the room again.

He then stopped abruptly and turned to them.

"This may be complete nonsense, but is there any such thing as a Time Turner?"