Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Wrinkle in Time by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Wrinkle in Time

Rosali

Ch lovesaA/N: This is a little plot that came to my mind as I was coming back from Uni today. I started writing it and here you go! A small three-part fic. Please R&R, I LOVE your feedback.

A Wrinkle in Time

Freezin', rests his head

on a pillow made of concrete, again
Oh, Feelin' maybe he'll see a little better,

set a days, ooh yeah
Oh, hand out, faces that he sees

time again ain't that familiar, oh yeah
Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away
Someday yet, he'll begin his life again
Life again, life again...

(.- Even Flow by Pearl Jam)


PART ONE


Thunder boomed in anger at the carnage that had taken place. The sky cried to those whose life had been taken way before their time. The eternal battle between good and evil was over… at least for now, at least for this time; but at a very high price, one that made the survivors question whether each had gotten the best end of the deal.

A black pile of robes lay on the ground with nothing but dust inside. The oh-so-feared Dark Lord had finally perished after a fierce battle between him and the one he'd marked as an equal.

A cool wind seemed to clean the air that was filled with death. The dust that had once been flesh flew along with a gust that announced more peaceful times, reassuring everyone-living or dead, that he was gone for good this time.

A tall form rose from the tainted ground and looked around-to recognize all of the dead and identify those who had once filled the Hogwarts Great Gall, now reduced to piles of stone, with laughter and… and life.

He searched desperately for his partner and his friends. He found her lying on the ground, barely breathing but alive nonetheless. The young man fell to his knees, disregarding any pain he might have been in. "Luna!" he breathed urgently.

The blond girl opened her eyes and gave him a small smile. "Ronald, so happy that you came," she said weakly.

"You'll be all right. How badly are you hurt?" he asked, pulling her in his arms.

"I reckon that a few well-put healing spells should reduce the death risk," she said lightly, as if she were talking of bath towels.

"Right, healing charms. Healing class. Why can't I bloody remember any spell!" he groaned in frustration.

"Calm down, Ronald. You have to or-well, you have to," she said with a wince. Apparently she had no mortal injuries, and that made Ron even more worried because she probably had internal wounds.

After the final rising, at the end of his fifth year, two classes had been added to the curriculum: Strategic Planning and Basic Healing I, II and III. The two classes had come into play in the last battle, saving many and possibly making achievable the ultimate defeat of the Death Eaters.

He stopped and took a few steadying breaths. "I won't lose you, too," he said and did his best to calm himself down and think clearly despite the pain and weariness. "I got it!" he said and started chanting some spells as his wand glowed orange and he moved it in circles above Luna's body.

Finally, the wand stopped glowing. It had done all the good it could and she was out of mortal peril, though a visit to St.Mungos was at call when they were out of there.

The two stood, leaning on each other for support and started searching for Harry, Hermione and Neville, who had detached themselves from the main group to face the three most fearsome people in the Dark Side: Bellatrix Lestrange (who had driven Neville's parents mad and sent Sirius through the veil), Lucius Malfoy (who had killed Hermione's parents mercilessly and after a long torture), and the Dark Lord himself (who had killed Harry's parents along with thousands more.

They found Neville already tending to the few that were left alive. He used potions and his developing healer abilities to do all the good he could and save as many as possible. He was also badly hurt but didn't care in the least.

"Neville!" Ron called out and hurried to him, as much as his beaten up body would allow him and Luna.

The young man turned around. "Over there! I did the best I could but-" he trailed off. "You can still say goodbye," he said heavily to the two. It was obvious that he was grieving; it could be told from the empty and helpless look on the youthful healer's face. But there was much to be done and he knew that Harry wouldn't want him to sit there and cry over them, but to help the ones he could.

Ron nodded quickly, preparing himself for the worse with dread he had never imagined. Over the years, when losing so many people he loved, he'd learned to manage the sorrow as to not go insane himself.

His steps were unbearably short and slow despite his will to just fly across the battlefield, to his best friends. Finally he reached the spot Neville had pointed at and gasped. The two people he'd once thought indestructible and unbeatable were lying on the ground.

He took Luna's hand and they got down on their knees, one at each side of the other two. "Harry, mate. You all right?" he asked weakly, not knowing what else to say.

Harry and Hermione were clinging to each other on the ground. It appeared as if Harry had been downed and Hermione had come to him, being hit by a curse just as she was giving her back to the presumed dead Lucius.

He opened his eyes only slightly. "Ron," he said. "Glad that you're all right," the young man, that was already a legend managed to get out between coughs.

"He's dead. The three are dead," Hermione said with a sigh of relieve. "Finally we can rest."

"Wha-what are you talking about? We still need to go to the Academy, and you have to get your degree. Hermione," he trailed off at her smile; a smile Ron had hoped he'd never see in his friend's face.

"It's over, Ron. We did it," Harry said softly and coughed once more.

"Harry, no! It's not over. Well, yes it is. You defeated him but it's not-we're not over," he tried to reason with his best friend; whose place he would take right now without hesitation.

"Tell your mum that I love her."

"She's your mum," Harry corrected with a chuckle.

"And you're my brother."

"You're my brother too."

"I-I just wish we would've had more time," Hermione said in a slight sob.

"Why-why are you speaking as if you weren't going to see us again? We're here, we survived!" Ron cried desperately, his voice breaking.

Luna had been quietly watching the whole scene unfold between the Dream Team; the sacred trio that neither she, nor anyone else had been able to disrupt or infiltrate into. But now she could step inside and put to use some of the things her father had published in The Quibbler. "We may be able to do something about it," she said dreamily.

Ron gawked at her. "Can you stop death, Luna?" he asked as tears fell down his freckled cheeks, leaving trails that sparkled at the moonlight.

"No, I can't. But we can give them that. We can give them time." Ron still gaped blankly at her. "It is called the Wrinkle in Time spell. It'll make a limbo between life and death. A sort of Utopia for the ones involved; but only of they are both in the borderline," she informed.

Normally, this spell would take two people that loved the ones involved dearly. True, she had never got that involved with either of the two, but if they didn't die happy, Ron wouldn't be happy and she wasn't going to allow that to happen.

"It exists, but it is difficult. And dangerous," Hermione said faintly; her know-it-all nature never leaving her; not even in the threshold of death.

"We'll do it!" Ron said quickly, ignoring Hermione's warning.

In a minute, Luna instructed him on how to perform the spell as they encouraged the other couple to hang in there. Soon enough, they were already ready and each placed themselves on either side of the dying Harry and Hermione, lacing their hands in a circle that surrounded the other two.

They started chanting the complicated spell and repeated it two, three times. Lavender light emanated from their hands and encircled the two lying on the ground for a few moments, only to sink in on them and make them jump.

Ron stared at the process with wide eyes; almost unable to believe that he could perform such powerful magic… It was absolutely amazing the power love could have in magic in general; it could even stop death… or grant the people we love on last moment of happiness.


A/N: Part one! I know it is quite short, but it wasn't designed to be long as other stories of mine. Yes, most lines were typical dying parliaments in early '90s action/drama movies… but they were perfect.

If you liked this, you are very welcome to join me, Amynoelle and MetroDweller at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill