Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Wrinkle in Time by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Wrinkle in Time

Rosali

A Wrinkle in Time

A/N: At last! The Epilogue and closing chapter of A Wrinkle in Time. Believe it or not, in the three years I have of Fanfiction writing, this is the very first story I finish. I have everything arranged for all my stories, but I have never finished one, lol.

Anyway, this is a very sad chapter, so you better have your kleenex box near lol. Happy reading! And next chapter of "What is Love?" is coming soon!

EPILOGUE

The Echoes of History

Great battles under the north star
Fighting for honour and blood
With iron will under the sun wheel
Hallowed be the fight

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

Heroism in the blitzkrieg
Baptized with flesh and steel
Bounded by the sun wheel
Hallowed be the war

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

Marching through the ruins
Hold high our right hands
Killing under the sun wheel
Hallowed be the death

Remember the fallen heroes
It's a fine day to die

(.- Fallen Heroes by Natchfalke)


I hope someday we are as happy as they look right now... Luna mused as she watches Harry and Hermione lying there, a peaceful smile in each their young faces. Hours ago, the battlefield had cleared of survivours and victims. The remaining auros and mediwizard corps kept popping in and out of the clearing, taking people ether to the hospital or the wizard's morgue.

"I wouldn't like a visit there," Luna told her unconscous friends, "it is creepy, the wizard's morgue; even more than the muggle's, you know?" She had been with them almost a day; Neville brought her food and water, along with news from Ron, but he could never stay long because he had to go back to St.Mungo's. So Luna was pretty much alone with Harry and Hermione.

"You know? I once saw a living dead. No, not an Inferi but a living dead. And he didn't want me to know he was dead... he told me..." she continued talking to them. "Ron will be along soon, they didn't want to let him go but he kicked some mediwitch arse and he is facing Molly," she shuddered. "She is nice, scary, but nice," the blond girl laughed.

"She was very sad when she heard the news... and Fred didn't let her come. They all love you very much..." She pushed a wet lock of hair from Hermione's face; something between sweat, water and her own blood. Luna stared at Hermione; it was amazing to her how she looked so good; even in a situation like this... she thought with sadness at the knowledge that she... that the two would soon be gone.

"He loves you so much..." Luna said, her voice cracking. "Even more than he could ever love me." The sounds of her words echoed in nothingness and then died down for a moment, after which she changed the subject. "He really kicked some evil butt, you know?Harry, you would be so proud of all the DA... I know, you already are," Luna smiledand wiped his face a little, studying the features of the world's greatest heroe in her eyes.

A small tear fell down her cheek, and she didn't hear a CRACK behind her, that announced someone coming. A warm hand on her face made Luna gasp and she turned around, a small smile decorated her pale lips. "Ronald! You scared me," she said and quickly took her hand to the small salty trail on her face, but Ron stopped her.

"Don't-hold back for me," he said softly, and with his thumb, he caressed her wet cheek. "I'm here now," he added and looked down at Harry and Hermione, gently touching each as to let them know he was finally there.

"He really was proud of them..." he whispered, not taking his blue eyes from his friend. He raised his face to look at Luna, gathering her into a tight hug. "Thank you."

She was a bit taken aback, and then laughed. "For what?" she asked, bewildered.

"For staying with them... For being with me... For everything," he paused and drew back. "For surviving," he finished with overnbright eyes and kissed her lovingly.

"Oh, don't be silly, Ronald!" she laughed. "It's not-"

"It IS a great deal for me. You-" he began but never got round to the sentence, for Harry had suddenly jumped and coughed, blood coming out of his mouth in each spasm.

"Bloody hell!" Ron exclaimed and took the young man to his lap. "Harry!"


Hermione screamed aloud again. The pain went even deeper tan the Cruciatus Curse's and she fell form bed after and instnctive attempt to ease the pain. She curled herself in a ball on the floor hoping that it would subside. "Harry- it- hurts," she managed to cry in a strangled voice.

"Mione!" Harry tried to reach out for her before she fell, but the pain was too intense and prevented him from moving a limb.

The original shock past, Harry managed to lift his eyes and he wasn't sure at that moment whether his injuries or the sight before him hurt more.Hermione had wrapped her arms around her knees and there was no perceptible movement... except a small tremble... she was crying in silence, shaking from pain.

He couldn't bear it. The sole thought of his Hermione in so much pain was too much for him. Harry gathered himself with more willpower than he knew he had and crawled to the floor, managing to get closer to her and hold the woman he loved so much in his arms once more.

He felt Hermione's cry die down slowly as their heartbeats jined in one last tune. Harry relaxed at an exhaled sigh that came from the deepest of Hermione's soul; it was s plit second of calm right before another wave of pain whipped through his body. He coughed and dark blood stained Hermione¡s beautiful dress. "I'm sorry..." he whispered in her ear.

"I love you Harry," she said and let her head fall back a little so it rested on Harry's chest and she felt his uneven breaths accelerate at his trying to fight back the pain. "I o

would go with you to the gates of hell," she managed to get out and coughed softly. "You... you are my life... thank you," she said at last and closed her eyes.

Warm tears were threatening to get out of his beautiful eyes and he kissed her head. "Thank you," he echoed her words with the most sincerity one could hear in a man's voice. "I would have wished it-"

"No, don't-" she interrupted. "I wouldn't have wanted it any other way ," she assured as firmly as her dying self allowed her.

"We'll... always be together..." Harry finally said and let his eyes rest as the fantasy world Ron had given them vanished in absolutel darkness.


Blue eyes were fixed on the couple lying on the ground, awaiting any sign at all of what was going on with them. All the peace from minutes ago, had contorted into the most angsty pain in both faces. At each gesture or movement, Ron's heart broke into a thousand pieces more. "Merlin! They are dying! Horrible... painfiul deaths!" he exclaimed. "Can't we do anything?" the redhead cried desperately.

"We already have, Ronald!"

"Well, it is not enough!" Let's do the spell again! And again! And forever if we need to!" he demanded and took Luna's hand, but she didn't follow his lead; she just stared at Ron with big eyes full of sadness. "What are you waiting for!" he screamed.

"Ronald! We can't!"

"Of course we can! And we will!"

"Please! Don't-don't," she whispered in a plead and looked away, her eyes crystal with tears.

"No! This is worse than last time!"

"Yes, it is, but there is nothing more we can do. They are dying for real now."

"We've got to make it all right. We have to fix it."

"We can't! We can't fool death twice, Ronald!" Luna let her tears fall at Ron's pain; her usually calm demenour, falling apart quickly.

"No, no, no, no..." he said over and over again, hsi voice dropping with each repeating word.

"They are coming round, calm down please," Luna said with a soothing tone in her voice. Ron obliged, his attention fully on Harry and Hermione again.

Hermione stirred once more and squinted her eyes, opening them slowly. Ron leaned forward and reached out for her forehead. "Hey..." he said gently, "Mione..." Ron caressed her hair and smiled.

"R-Ron?"

"Yes... yes, it's me. You're all right now."

"No, I'm not, but thank you," she said and laughed softly, a twisted sort of smile on her lips.

"I-" Ron started but Harry opened his eyes next. "Harry! Mate!"

"Really screwed up, didn't I?"

"No! How can you say that! You saved us all!"

"Yeah, but I was supposed to survive... and we were supposed to grow old," he managed to ge out with a bitter chuckle.

Ron was about to respond when a serious of POPs were heard, and he looked up and around. "What are you all-?" he began, but when he saw Ginny, barely standing and the rest of the people standing there, he understood what they were doing there. They wanted to pay a last tribute to Harry... and Hermione.

Harry coughed again, more blood sputtering from his mouth now, and Ron instinctively wrapped his arms around his upper section. "It'll be over soon... I promise," he said in Harry's ear.

"I hope so, because it hurts... bad," the young man responded to his friend.

"I know, I know, Harry."

"Take care of them, please," he asked Ron.

"I will, don't worry," resignation rung on his voice, but he was glad this was going to end for them finally.

"I love you, mate, I really do."

"Oh, Harry!" Ron threw his arms around his best friend. "I love you too," he echoed and turned to Hermione, brushing his hand through her cheek. "And I love you like you have no idea, my dear Hermione."

She raised a hand to touch his and smiled. "I love you too, Ron. Thank you..." Hermione said and closed her eyes a moment.

Ron leaned forward and kissed her forehead, resting his lips there a moment and then drawing back. "You'll find peace now, you deserve it."

Harry smiled at Ron. "Thank you, you are the best mate," he said to him and then he let his head fall to the side to look at Hermione for one last time and smiled. "I love you," he mouthed to her. "Together."

"To the end," Hermione finished the sentence and exhaled her last breath. Her eyes closed and her shoulders sagged, her slender form going limp, and she looked so small; something that was almost unconcieveable for Ron.

Harry's hand squeezed Hermione's one last time and he, too, let his tired soul rest after so much pain and suffering. His gaze went to Ron, and then back to Hermione, the light from his eyes leaving their green house forever.

Ron watched this last exchange, not knowing if he too, was going to let death take him at that moment, because this sure hurt as if he were dying. He swallowed, unable to make one sound and reached out for Harry's face, closing his eyes. "Constant vigilance... till his last breath," he whispered, no more tears streaming for he hadn't any left.

By now, there were over two hundred people standing around the four; all in complete silence, just mourning. Ron stared at the two lifeless bodies, and deep sorrow took him over, with a fresh wave of tears. He pursed his lips and closed his eyes, trying to gain control of his own emotions and then threw himself over the two youngsters that had just died in his arms.

He cried for a few minutes as a sad tune started to echo in the dark. With a great effort, Ron pulled himself away and looked up at the circle of people, centaurs, house-elves and many other creatures singing around. "They are gone," he said in a low voice.

Molly Weasely's cry was the first one to be heard, followed by Ginny's and few others, while the rest continued to sing for their fallen heroes. That night was filled with a bitter sense of victory... they would have peace now... and this was the cost. The sad song in the night was the echo that history brought along and the wind carried the news to the farthest ends of the world.

Everyone in the magical world mourned, and rejoiced, for war was over, but Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived was now gone.


A/N: Oh, God, that was intense. I am totally drained. I hope you liked this little story and I hope that this can also be used as a reflection to what war can bring to good people, innocent people...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrainstormQuill