Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Heirs of Darkness by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Heirs of Darkness

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters; they are property of JK Rowling.

A/N: This story is a reply to an old challenge. I don't remember how it was called. Hope you'll enjoy it, and please review. That would really make my day, you know. Thanks to my beta GeoTube who has helped me with this fic.

The Heirs of Darkness

Chapter One

"A Mournful Summer"

Harry Potter arrived at Privet Drive, number four, in his uncle's car, after his fifth year; during the trip from King's Cross, he didn't say a word, while his relatives were talking between them; he was still shocked for the happenings in the Ministry of Magic, especially in the Department of Mysteries; there, he lost his loved godfather, Sirius Black, and he almost lost Hermione Granger, one of his two best friends, the two only people that supported him during the last, stressing school year, with all its problems…

He entered his room, placed his trunk under his bed, as usual, and then laid on his bed, closing his eyes…he needed some rest, since he never slept more than two hours after that night…he felt responsible for what happened…even Dumbledore, this time, didn't succeed in calming him. For the first time, he had yelled at the Headmaster. But even if he tried a lot to fall asleep and obtain some rest, he couldn't: his brain would continue working, and reanalysing all the events.

Finally, he fell asleep, but it wasn't a restful sleep…he dreamed his godfather…his expression of surprise, while falling backward, and through the veil…and then Hermione, lying on the ground…and, finally, he dreamed Professor Trewlaney, making her prophecy…the prophecy that Voldemort wanted to hear…the prophecy about him…he will be a murderer or a murdered…no chance to avoid his destiny…

Next days, he remained locked in his room, barely eating what Aunt Petunia brought to him, through the loophole in the door; his uncle was afraid that going out he would attire dangers on his family, as with the dementors, the year before, but it wasn't a problem for Harry, since all he wanted was to be left alone. He stood up, one morning, and wrote a letter to Hermione, the only person who was always on his side.

"Dear Hermione,

I have taken a decision, for the better

of all of you; I won't return to

Hogwarts, this year; I'm a danger

all of you, and I don't want to put

you in danger; and, excuse me if I

led you to risk your life…it is all

my fault!

Harry"

Some days later, he was crying, thinking another time about Sirius, when Hedwig arrived with a letter for him. It was from Hermione:

"Dear Harry,

I hope you were joking, even

if I know that you may have been serious;

how can you think to not come back

to Hogwarts? Let me say one thing,

I won't allow you to do this! If you

will oblige me, I'll bring you there

with the strong manners. It wasn't your

fault and, let me say one thing: I'm

happy to risk my life helping you, Harry!

Love, Hermione"

Harry read the letter, but it didn't cheer up him. However, he at least had learned one thing, last year: he should do what Hermione said, because she was often right. If he had had listened to her, all of that wouldn't be happened. So, if now she said him to go to school, probably that was the right thing to do.

The days passed in a constant mourning for Harry, and he had not other letters, neither from Hermione, neither from Ron. And neither Dumbledore wrote him. He was once again abandoned to his destiny, nobody seemed to care for him, but he didn't notice this. He only kept crying and crying and crying. He dreamed every night the same thing, all the events of that night, and every night he woke up in the middle of the night, not able to regain his sleep…

He was in the worst depression state that he ever had, and nobody was with him that time, to help him. Hermione was probably at the Burrow, enjoying her summer with Ron, who, from his point, would have been very happy to stay with her, the girl he loved, without Harry taking all the attention…

But, every thing he thought, led him back to the reason of his mournful summer: the Department of Mysteries…for the first time in his life, Harry wished he had listened to Snape, the Professor he hated more. If he had done the Occlumency exercises, maybe he would have been able to keep his mind locked for Voldemort, and all that would have not happened…

Two weeks before his moving to Grimmauld Place, he understood what he needed: a family, to speak about his problems. So, he sent Hedwig to the "Flourish and Blotts", to buy a book with all the family trees of the Wizarding world. He needed to know if he had some other relatives in one part of the world, relatives maybe not known by Dumbledore…He knew it was a desperate hope, but he needed every bit of hope he could find.


-->