Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Study of the Mind by Alexandria Malfoy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Study of the Mind

Alexandria Malfoy

A/N-This chapter is named "Strange Occurrences" for a reason. There are no spoliers in this chapter and yes, I did change the chapter name. This one fits better.

As always, I don't own the lovely Ginevra Weasley, Draco (although I wish I did...), Narcissa Malfoy, Blaise Zabini, or Pansy Parkinson. I do, however, own Alise, Antonio, Sophia, and Saphira. Also, a smidge of the plot. Yay for me!

Chapter 6- Strange Occurrences (Part 2 of 2 of Narcissa's Birthday Gala)

Ginny had to admit that she was having a good time with Antonio. He wasn't like any of the other guys that she had previously dated. Originally, her intention was to come to the party with Alise and happily watch Alise charm the pants off of her next piece of arm candy. And at the beginning of the night, she was content with that choice. She still was even when she met Antonio. Yet, as the night progressed, her mantra was slowly slipping away, being replaced with the hope that she might get to see him again.

Ginny was pulled back to reality at the sound of Antonio's voice.

"Ginny? Did you hear me?"

"What? Oh, I'm sorry. I'm afraid I didn't catch that last part. Do you think you could repeat it?"

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to meet my mother, Sophia?"

"Don't you think it's a bit too soon to meet your mother? After all, I met you for the first time tonight."

"Nonsense. Besides, she'll be pestering me about you after the party, so you might as well meet her now."

"Umm…I suppose I could," Ginny replied with a shy smile.

"Great!" Antonio exclaimed with another one of his brilliant smiles. He let go of Ginny completely and beckoned her with a hand. "Here, follow me."

"Ok."

Oh god. I didn't expect to meet his mother tonight! Ginny frantically thought. I only met the bloke just two hours ago! I'd understand if we were going out for at least a month or so, but this is a little absurd. Ok. Ok. Just calm down, Ginny. It's only nerves. You'll be fine. If anything, think of Antonio's smile. Yes, his smile.

About five minutes and some crafty manoeuvring later, Ginny was face to face with Sophia de Medici.

If there was ever a time Ginny was afraid, it was definitely now. One would think that it would be a point during the war, or even the Chamber, but no, Sophia trumped them all. Sophia de Medici was a tall, willowy woman with wavy, white blonde hair that was vaguely reminiscent of the short bobs of the Roaring Twenties. She had slanting, bright blue eyes that stood out like a pair of daggers against her pale, yet clear complexion. As if she wasn't striking enough, her robes were that of an icy blue, cut in a way that hugged what little curves she had, and made her eyes seem even more piercing than they already were. If it weren't for the fact that Ginny liked Antonio a great deal and was genuinely curious about Draco's disowned aunt, she would have ran right then and there.

Antonio seemed to be the only one who noticed Ginny's fear. He had a feeling that Ginny would react in this manner. Most people did when they saw his mother for the first time. Upon further reflection, he realized that if he were in Ginny's shoes, he'd be afraid as well. Shaking himself out of his small daze, he attempted to subdue Ginny's fear by starting the conversation.

"Mother, this is Ginevra Weasley. Ginny, this is my mother, Sophia de Medici."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ginevra," Sophia spoke with a slight Italian accent.

"You as well. And you can call me Ginny; Ginevra sounds so formal, Mrs. Medici."

"Alright, Ginny, but on one condition: I insist that you call me Sophia," Sophia stated with a smile identical to her son's.

"Of course…Sophia."

"So, Ginny, tell me, how exactly do you know my sister-in-law, Narcissa?"

"I'm her son, Draco's, psychologist," Ginny stated with the common air of someone discussing the weather.

"Come again?" Sophia said with her eyes slightly wider than normal.

"I'm Draco's psychologist," Ginny repeated with the slightest bit of uncertainty. Is it a bad thing to be Malfoy's psychologist?

Much to Ginny's dismay, Sophia began speaking to Antonio in hushed tones. She strained to hear, but begrudgingly realized that they were speaking in Italian. She straightened out just as both began to turn towards Ginny with their identical and somewhat creepy smiles.

Gingerly, Sophia placed a hand on Ginny's arm, carefully leading her away from a weary-looking Antonio. Ginny saw that Sophia was leading her to a side room and began anticipating the twenty questions session that was sure to ensue.

The one thing that she didn't expect was the first thing that came out of Sophia's mouth once the door was closed and locked.

"Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into, Ginevra?"

"Sophia, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I'm shocked that Antonio never told you when he found out."

"Found out about what?" Ginny at this point was thoroughly confused; these were not the questions she was expecting.

"You being Draco's psychologist."

"I don't see anything wrong with that. I've known him for well over ten years. I think I can handle anything he can dish out, Sophia."

"No, I'm not talking about things of that nature, I mean something else."

"How could you possibly know anything about Draco? Not to be rude, but from what I understand, you've only seen Draco two times in his entire life."

Sophia started to laugh. Her laughter reverberated off the walls; rich in its Italian accent, yet stifling, too. She looked at Ginny with the slightest hint of pity.

"Haven't you heard of a nifty little thing called owl post?"

"Of course I have, but aren't you disowned?"

"Just because I may be disowned by my prick of a brother and the rest of my equally detestable family, doesn't mean that I was disowned by said brother's wife and son."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that just because Lucius and the rest of my family disowned me does not mean that Narcissa or Draco did."

"Wait! Hold on! So you've been communicating with Narcissa and Draco all this time?"

"Why does it surprise you?"

"Well, you've never been mentioned by either Draco or Narcissa."

"Have they ever mentioned someone named Luciana?" Sophia asked with a knowing smirk.

"Yes…wait. That was you?"

"Naturally."

"But why take on that alias?"

"My brother was above all things a suspicious little bastard. When he got wind of me communicating with Narcissa and Draco, he began checking any post the two got, forcing me to write under the alias of Luciana, Narcissa's childhood friend and second mother to young Draco. Whenever they stopped by in Italy, they would stay in Florence or Milan with me. You see, Ginevra, once you're disowned in the Malfoy family, there's no turning back. All family members are to refrain from speaking to you and that extends to the spouses and children as well."

"Well, why don't they just starting referring to you as Sophia now that Lucius is gone?"

"Old habits die hard, I suppose."

"Ok, I understand that, but I'm still a bit foggy as to why being Draco's psychologist is a bad thing."

"Have you ever wondered why Draco's had so many psychologists in the past two years alone?"

"No," Ginny was starting to become hesitant at the sound of Sophia's tone.

"Has Narcissa ever told you what afflictions made each of -" Sophia paused, afraid she may have said too much.

"What afflictions? To whom?" Sophia had captured Ginny hook, line and sinker with her last few questions and she left her hanging? Ginny only felt it right to correct this grave wrong.

"No, I've said too much. Narcissa said that you're the best in the field and I trust her judgement. I'm sure you'll find out soon enough, Ginny." Sophia took Ginny's arm again and began leading her out of the small room. "Come now, let us head back towards Antonio," Sophia spoke with a small smile.

Ginny walked out of the room, linked to Sophia, with a look of mild confusion strewn across her face.

What in god's name was Sophia going on about?

* * * * * * * * *

On the other side of the ballroom, Saphira Zabini had cornered Alise in one of the many alcoves bordering the room's perimeter. After making sure that they were the only two within said alcove, Saphira rounded on Alise, springing forth her first question.

"What are your intentions with my son?"

"Wh-what?" Alise sputtered. "Saphira, I've only met Blaise just a little over an hour ago. I have no clue what I intend to do with your son."

"So you have no inclinations to snog and/or shag him senseless tonight, then leave him the next morning?"

"I should think not!" Alise spoke with a hint of indignation.

"Good, good," Saphira stated, narrowing her eyes. "Now, tell me, what exactly is it that you do?"

"I'm a criminal psychologist for St. Mungo's and Azkaban. I've worked with many, although my most recent patient is Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Interesting." Alise couldn't be too sure, but with every passing minute, Saphira was starting to sound like a cartoon villain. "This would then explain how you know Narcissa. Based on that, I'm assuming that you live quite comfortably?"

"Well, I guess you could call having a penthouse flat in Muggle London 'comfortable'."

"Yes, my dear, it does," Saphira replied with a smile, segueing into a period of silence.

It was during those three minutes of silence that Alise made up her mind about Saphira Zabini. Alise observed Saphira, noticing the little hand gestures she made while thinking and how her beautifully shaped eye brows crinkled in frustration. She didn't know whether or not there was insanity in Saphira's family, but the past fifteen minutes wasn't helping her case all too much.

After the three minutes were up, Saphira clasped her hands together, her face glowing with joy.

"Oh! This is just lovely!" Saphira exclaimed, shocking Alise.

"What's love -" But before Alise could finish, she was enwrapped in a hug by Saphira, then given two quick kisses on each cheek.

"You have passed, darling! Ah! This is wonderful! Simply marvellous!"

"What do you mean I've 'passed'?" Alise asked, cocking an eye brow.

"I mean you are the perfect girl for my son."

"But, Mrs. Zabini, I mean, Saphira, surely you don't -"

"Nonsense, my dear. I can tell by your reaction that you don't know about my son's infamous track record with women and his equally infamous nickname. But I'm sure you'll find out about all of that in good time."

"Saphira, I get the feeling that Blaise is what one would call 'promiscuous'," Alise stated as she and Saphira walked away from the alcove.

Saphira Apparated to the bar with a pop before returning not thirty seconds later with a green apple martini. She took a sip, wiping some excess off of her mouth with one acrylic nail before replying.

"Sorry about that. I've wanted one ever since we started talking. Anyways, promiscuous doesn't even begin to cover it. He was known for his promiscuity at school, taking the name 'the Hogwarts Boy Whore'. I always asked him why that couldn't be Draco's nickname," Saphira spoke, her left middle finger skimming the rim of the glass. "After all, Draco did bed more girls than my son did."

"If you don't mind me asking, what was Draco's nickname?"

"The Slytherin Sex God," Saphira said in the middle of another sip.

"I think Ginny told me that it implied how good he was in bed," Alise stated with a slight smirk. Apparently, 'in good time' was about five minutes later for Alise.

"Oh," Saphira squeaked.

"Mother! Alise! I've been looking all over for you two!" exclaimed Blaise, walking out of the crowd.

"Hello there, dear," Saphira said, giving Blaise a peck on the cheek.

Alise was about to get a peck from Blaise when he started sniffing his mother. How strange, Alise thought, transforming her face into one of a quizzical nature. Blaise gave a hard look to his mother before giving another look to the drink in her hand.

"Mother, is that what I think it is? You know you can't hold your liquor!"

"What in heaven's name are you talking about? I can too hold my liquor and you know it Blaise Alexander Zabini!" Saphira screeched, her now apparent tipsiness becoming quite apparent after she partially slurred Blaise's name.

Blaise whipped out his wand, pointed it at his mother and muttered a quick Sobrietus before grabbing Saphira's martini glass.

Saphira regained her senses immediately and visibly paled. "Oh, sweet Merlin. Alise, I am so sorry. How very embarrassing! This is not the type of impression I had hoped to give you. I must have had one too many drinks that I thought I did."

"Oh, it's ok, Saphira," Alise said with a nervous laugh. "I know what it's like to be thoroughly embarrassed."

"Come, Alise," Blaise commanded, putting an arm around her waist. "I just realized that my mother has other business to attend to."

As soon as they were out of Saphira's range, Alise rounded on Blaise.

"What the hell is wrong with your mother?" Alise asked, grabbing the martini and downing the rest of its contents.

"Alise, what in Merlin's name are you talking about? My mother is perfectly fine."

"Do you have any idea how weird the last twenty minutes of my life has been and all because of your mother? I was perfectly fine with you and then everything just became all weird and awkward after she showed up."

"Would you care to enlighten me as to the weird and awkward situations my mother has induced over the last twenty minutes?" Blaise asked with a small smirk.

"Sure, why not? Ginny's off flirting with Draco's Italian look-alike, my other best friend is in America and my mother would just make everything worse. But first, can we sit somewhere?"

"If it'll make you happy, luv."

"I'll make me very, very happy," Alise hissed.

Alise proceeded to scan the ballroom for a sitting area, but settled for going into Lucius' old study, which Narcissa had transformed into a charming tea room.

"So as you were saying earlier…" Blaise began.

"Ah, yes. Well, when I first met your mother I thought she was a very beautiful woman; slightly indifferent, but beautiful all the same. I was a bit hesitant to talk to her at first, yet I did so anyway because I liked what I was getting from you so far. The first thing your mother said to me when we were alone was, and I quote, 'What are your intentions with my son?'" Alise paused here after hearing a groan from Blaise coupled with him falling back onto the sofa. "She then asked me if I was only interested in you for a one-night stand." Again, Alise stopped for Blaise shot up in his seat with a "She didn't!"

"Oh, yes, she did! I had to explain to her that I wasn't interested in you for anything like that, then she asked me what I did for a living, which granted isn't all that weird, it was the response to all of this that was weird."

"What did she do?"

"She started clasping her hands together, saying that I was the perfect girl…for…you."

"Oh. That is rather awkward, isn't it?"

"Yeah, my sentiments exactly."

"Anything else you'd like to add?"

"Oh, yes; she mentioned your infamous nickname to me."

"Damn it! I told her not to do that! I specifically told her that when the time came, I would tell the girl. But did she listen? Noooo! My mother never listens to anything I tell her when she finds a suitable girl! It all just goes out the window!" Blaise's ranting regarding his mother continued uninterrupted for a good ten minutes before Alise felt compelled to shush him with her index finger over his lips.

"Blaise, I really don't care about your nickname or any other little quirks that you may have; that's who you are, you can't help that. I can deal with your mother, trust me. But, if you see your mother as a problem, then maybe we should just end this acquaintance now; I don't want to be the cause of any problems between you two."

Blaise took Alise's hand and gave it a quick peck before looking into her eyes.

"Alise, I would love nothing more than to see you again sometime soon. Thank you for tolerating my mother tonight; you just have to get used to her manner. And if she does cause any problems, just let me know," Blaise said with a smile.

Wow. This guy's committed, and I barely even know him, Alise thought with a secret smile.

"Thanks and I'll be sure to do so," Alise spoke with a slight blush.

* * * * * * * * *

Narcissa Malfoy spotted Ginny Weasley from across the ballroom with her sister-in-law, Sophia.

She had to admit that for a Weasley, she sure did clean up nicely. She'd have to ask her where she bought that fabulous dress the next time she talked to her.

Narcissa was vaguely aware of the fact that Pansy Parkinson was talking to her. She nodded and smiled at all the right times, speaking only when necessary. She wanted to get away from the girl and the conversation as soon as possible. Seeing Pansy only reminded her of, who else but, Draco.

Pansy was betrothed to Draco during his fourth year. Lucius felt that it was the only way to ensure his family name's continuation. Narcissa hated the idea of it; she was always reminded of her own miserable failure of a marriage. She never wanted that for Draco, the least of all with Pansy. Not that there was anything wrong with Pansy; she was a smart, sensible girl when need be and she was like a daughter to Narcissa. But she knew her son, and she knew that he never liked Pansy "in that way," as Draco so delicately put it. Never had, never will. She also knew that, much like herself, her son was a bit of a hopeless romantic deep-down. Ok, so maybe he wasn't as hopeless as his mother was, but he was never too keen on the idea of marrying Pansy. Draco, with all of his faults, one being his uncontrollable libido, felt that eventually, he would settle down with a girl from a respectable family, pure-blooded or not. Unfortunately, he was cursed with his father's insatiable need for power and saw becoming a Death Eater as his only means. After he was officially initiated, his life took a downward spiral, the height of it being his incarceration at St. Mungo's. When his condition only worsened, Narcissa felt it was time to quit assigning him amateurs and hire the best in the business. That was how she met Ginny.

Eventually, Narcissa came back to reality and politely excused herself from Pansy's presence, letting out a deep breath as she walked away.

Almost sub-consciously, she made her way through the crowds to where Ginny was standing with Sophia and Antonio. Narcissa would have remained in her trance-like state if it wasn't for the fact that Ginny was addressing her.

"Hello, Narcissa. It's wonderfully to see you again," Ginny said with a smile.

"Oh, yes, hello, Ginny, dear. It's good to see you, too. Are you enjoying yourself at this little soiree of mine?"

"Very much so. I just have one question to ask of you."

"And what is that?"

"Well, on the invitation, Pansy and Saphira referred to you as Narcissa Malfoy, not Narcissa Black, as you preferred to be called."

"Yes, I've received the same comment from many over the course of the night. I'm not exactly sure why they didn't use my maiden name. Maybe it had to do with what little respect the Malfoy name still commands."

"Narcissa, darling, you wound me," Sophia spoke with the slightest bit of contempt.

Narcissa turned at Sophia's comment, seeming to notice her for the first time.

"Sophia! My lovely sister-in-law! It's been ages! How's life in Florence? How's Lorenzo? How's my nephew, Antonio?" Narcissa exclaimed with a bright smile.

Antonio took this as his cue to step out of the shadows and address his estranged aunt.

"Hello aunt Narcissa," Antonio almost whispered.

Narcissa stared up into Antonio's deep brown eyes before speaking.

"My Antonio, how you've grown. Why you were just a tiny thing the last time I saw you and now you're all grown up," Narcissa almost choked out, tears welling up in her eyes.

Narcissa turned away from the trio for a brief moment and with a deft hand motion, wiped her glistening eyes. She took a deep breath before turning back to them with a beatific smile.

"Ginny, didn't Alise come with you?"

"Why yes, she did, but I don't seem to know where she's run off to."

"No matter; I'm sure I'll find her eventually."

After Narcissa's last comment, the group was at a loss for words. No one knew how to continue the already strange conversation.

"Oh, Ginny, I almost forgot; wherever did you get that fabulous dress of yours?" Narcissa asked, saving the conversation.

Ginny looked at her dress, primping and smoothing out the silk and chiffon.

"This thing? I picked it up in Muggle London."

"Really? Surely a dress this lovely has to be made by Madame Malkin herself," Narcissa spoke in disbelief.

"No, Narcissa, I'm positive that I bought it in Muggle London."

Sophia was starting to get the distinct impression that Narcissa's behaviour was a little off and it wasn't due to too much vodka. She knew that Narcissa was upset over Draco's absence, but her over perkiness was pushing it just a bit. She would have to owl her about it when she got back home to Florence.

* * * * * * * * *

The party was starting to wind down.

Guests were bidding each other farewell, while certain couples were sneaking off in drunken bouts of giggling.

Ginny wished she was one of those couples. And she probably would be if she had been dating Antonio for a certain length of time, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Eventually, she bade Antonio and Sophia farewell. Antonio with a chaste kiss on the cheek and the exchange of addresses for owl post, and Sophia with the standard two cheek kisses. Soon after, they Apparated back to their home in Florence.

Ginny let out a deep sigh at the sound of the pop and went in search of Alise.

She found her after not too long, ensconced by Blaise Zabini. She gasped at first, but decided to hide herself before retrieving Alise.

Blaise's mom, Saphira, was nowhere to be seen, but Ginny could guess by Blaise's behaviour that she was not too far off. He held Alise by the waist and was currently trailing a line of kisses along her neck; Ginny's eye brows raised in shock at Alise's newfound boldness. Alise giggled, but pushed Blaise away, much to Ginny's relief. Alise made a move to walk away, but Blaise grabbed her hand, giving it a quick kiss before pulling her into a hug. When he finally let go, Alise found a small piece of parchment in her hand. Alise only smiled and waved good-bye as Blaise backed away, blowing her a kiss before turning around and walking into the dwindling crowd. Alise gave a sigh and did a small turn before walking away. Ginny took this as her cue to make herself known.

"Hey, Alise! Over here!" Ginny exclaimed, waving her arms to attract Alise's attention.

"Oh, Ginny! It was wonderful!" Alise blurted out as soon as she spotted Ginny.

"What was?" Although Ginny has some idea as to what, or who, Alise was going on about.

Alise refused to tell until she got home, so Ginny guided her to the door.

"Come on, Alise, let's Apparate back to my flat; you can spend the night there."

With a simultaneous pop, Alise and Ginny Apparated to Ginny's flat.

* * * * * * * * *

They Apparated into Ginny's bedroom, immediately collapsing side by side onto Ginny's bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Alright, Miss Uber Giddy, you go first," Ginny nearly deadpanned.

"Ever heard of a guy named Blaise Zabini?"

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

In response, Alise opened her clutch, pulled out the piece of paper Blaise gave her and handed it to Ginny.

Ginny glanced at it before turning over to face to Alise.

"Why you little slag," she muttered with a smirk.

Alise replied with a smirk of her own before speaking.

"What can I say, Ginny? I may have thought his mother to be temporarily unhinged, but that Blaise Zabini is one sexy beast. I just couldn't help myself. But enough about my night, why don't you tell me about your positively delicious Draco look-alike?"

"Oh, you mean Antonio?" Ginny asked with a coy smile.

"Who's the slag now?"

"Shush you."

"Oh, come on, Ginny! You have to admit that he is a rather scrumptious piece of arm candy!" Alise exclaimed.

Ginny flopped back onto the bed with a dreamy smile painted on her face.

"He is tasty, isn't he?"

"Uh, duh, Ginny. So what was he like?"

"Like Draco at his best, with less snark and more appropriateness."

"Sounds perfect."

"In a way, yes."

"So did you exchange addresses?"

"Of course we did! I'm not that ignorant."

"Well what now?"

"Good question."

"I say you write to him tomorrow."

"Really? Don't you think that's a bit too soon?"

"I'll write to Blaise if you write to Antonio."

"Alise, you've got yourself a deal."

A/N- Alrighty, like I said in the first author's note, this chapter is named "Strange Occurrences" for a reason. Everything that happens in this chapter, happens for a reason. We don't know the reason yet, but trust me, it comes into play later on. As always, thanks to Angel. She is amazing.

Next chapter: Another flashback chapter. Told much in the same fashion as ch. 3, in terms of the diary. Ginny during her last year at college for her psychology degree. Talks about her final study on Ron and we finally see Professor Upland!

Please review if you see fit to do so. It would be greatly appreciated to hear some feedback.