Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Study of the Mind by Alexandria Malfoy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Study of the Mind

Alexandria Malfoy

A/N- I know. I know. Bad Alexandria. I've been away for a while, I know. I blame writer's block and I'm sure most of you know how aggrivating that is. Anyways, I'm back with the letter chapter, which I'm sure will recieve loads of questions as my beta had a list of them when she emailed me back regarding this chapter.

Chapter 9- Words So Leisured

Sunday, 16 January 2004

Dear Blaise,

It's me, Alise, the girl you met at Narcissa's birthday party. I know it may seem a bit too soon to be writing to you; after all, it's only the day after the party, but I couldn't help it. It's nice to get a letter every now and then. Makes you feel deserving, wanted.

Anyways, I was talking to Ginny (as in Weasley) this afternoon and she came up with an idea. I'm wondering, as I'm sure you are too, when we might see each other again. Ginny has caught the attention of Draco's Italian cousin (and look-alike), Antonio, so she thought that maybe we could go on a group date. I was thinking about clubbing because I'm not sure if I could handle a nice restaurant with another couple. To me, places like that are better for just a night out with your partner. It seems like too private an atmosphere to be sharing with more than one person.

I sincerely hope that made sense. The concept is rather hard to explain on paper.

I also wanted to say that I loved spending time with you at the party, part of the reason why I wrote; just to hear from you.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to do the group date thing and what day would be most convenient for you.

Tell your mother I say hello!

-Alise


Dear Antonio,

First off, how are things with you and your mother? I hope that all is well and good. I do realize that it's rather early to be hearing from me; I mean, it's only the day after Narcissa's party, but I do have a good reason behind it! You see, my friend, Alise, wanted to write to Blaise Zabini (you do know who he is, right?) and she thought I should write to you today as well, but I thought it was too soon and yeah. It's this whole long story. To sum it up, we agreed to write as long as we did it together.

Now my very good and valid reason for writing to you was to see if you would like to get together sometime soon? I thought it would be fun if you, me, Alise and Blaise went on a little group date. Alise suggested going to a club. I like the idea of it unless you have something else in mind. If you're interested that would be amazing, just let me know what day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

-Ginny


Luna,

I know you're better acquainted with St. Mungo's policies, so that's what I'm asking you. Anyways, do you know if I would be able to retrieve the profiles of past employees?

Thanks,
Ginny


Ginny, m'dear,

No. Since you work as a mostly freelance employee, you can't. I know the hospital has a profile on you, but you don't "technically" work for St. Mungo's. According to the hospital, your full-time employer is Azkaban prison, well the "new" one at least. Hope that answers your question. By the way, how was Narcissa's party?

-Luna

* * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday, 18 January 2004

Cissa,

Would you mind explaining to me your behaviour at your own birthday party? Sorry for being so blunt, but I couldn't think of another way of phrasing it.

-Sophia


Pansy,

Was it just me, or was Narcissa a little off at her party?

-Saphira


Lovely Luna,

Sorry I couldn't write back sooner, but you know how busy I am. Anyways, there really is no way for me to get those profiles? Damn. Wait! Can you get them for me? Narcissa's party was fine. Filled with rich snobs, of course. I did meet someone, though…

-Ginny


Saphira,

Thank God I wasn't the only one who noticed. At one point she was speaking with me, but she seemed like she was off in some little Draco-filled world of hers. Oh, please, don't give me that, Saphira. You know as well as I do that she was thinking about him. If one didn't know better, you could have sworn that Draco was something akin to her husband, not her son.

-Pansy

* * * * * * * * * *

Wednesday, 19 January 2004

Alise,

It was certainly great to hear from you. I have to agree with you; getting a letter does make one feel wanted.

I'm terribly sorry that I did not respond sooner, but I'm sure you know what it's like to have a hectic work schedule. As to going out with the three of you, I think it would be quite an experience. I haven't seen the little Firebrand in what seems like ages and I'm interested in seeing if Antonio has anything else in common with Draco besides looks. And yes, your concept translated beautifully to paper.

I also enjoyed your company at the party. In all actuality, I was planning on writing to you later on in the week, but alas, you beat me to it.

My mother sends her regards as well. She was pleasantly surprised when I told her. It was rather funny. She became all flustered because she thought that she made a bad impression and scared you away. She got pissed because I started laughing at her reaction. I'm sure she'll get over her anger eventually.

Oh, and not this coming Friday, but the next, the 28th I believe, works for me.

-Blaise


Ginevra Molly Weasley,

You will die a most painful death if you do not tell me who you met, like, right now! I can't believe that you didn't tell me sooner! For shame, Ginny. For shame. And although I am thoroughly pissed at you, I shall do my good deed for the day and get you those profiles. Just give me the names.

-"She-Who-Is-Annoyed-With-Her-Best-Friend" (Luna)

* * * * * * * * * *

Thursday, 20 January 2004

Sophia,

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was perfectly fine.

-Narcissa


Ginny,

It's great to hear from you! I was in Rome for a few days before returning home or else I would have responded earlier. My mother is fine. In fact she kept bugging me about your letter. "When are you going to reply, Antonio?" "Ginevra is such a nice girl." "I would love to see her again" and things of that nature. She failed to over look the fact that she still had said letter at home in Florence while I was in Rome on business. Besides, business tales a good letter does not make.

How are things with you in England? I hope my cousin isn't causing too much trouble for you. It would be great to see you again and I wouldn't mind going with another couple. A club is perfectly fine and I'm free next weekend. Just let me know when and were exactly.

My mother thanks you "for taking the initiative to owl" me. Her words, not mine.

-Antonio


Luna,

I completely forgot about it when I wrote to you the first time! I am so sorry! If it makes you feel any better, your letter was guilt-trip worthy and proceeded to work its magic on me. Anyways, his name is Antonio and he is an Italian half-blood. He's really sweet, the perfect gentleman and absolutely gorgeous! I'm telling you, Luna, I got lucky when I literally landed into his arms! And I'm very thankful for your daily good deed.

Here are the names:

Andrea Lowe
Catalin Voslovik
Alana Murphy
Beatrix Walker
Natasha Atkinson
Lauren Daniels
Kristen McMillan
And I don't know if they'll have her on file, but Lily Collinsworth as well.

Also, Draco mentioned two others, but he didn't remember their names. Do you think you could find out who those other two are? Or let me know if I can? Thanks again, Lu. You are a lifesaver!

-"She-Who-Is-So-Sorry" (Ginny)


Dear Professor Upland,

I know that we haven't communicated in well over two years, but I wanted to ask you a question.

As I'm sure you may know, my latest patient is Draco Malfoy and just recently, he revealed some information about his previous psychologists. One of the names he mentioned was Lily Collinsworth. I'm not exactly sure if she was ever a student of yours, but if she was, then you can be of great assistance to my case. Thank you in advance and I hope all is going well.

Sincerely,
Ginny Weasley


Narcissa,

I am starting to become rather worried about you. I know that Draco's incarceration as well as his condition hit you hard, but don't forget I was affected by it as well. I have known him and your family since I was a small child and was almost betrothed to him at one point, so I have an idea of what you might be going through. But, Narcissa, it's been over two years since his move to St. Mungo's. Sulking around your own birthday party and not enjoying yourself will not help his situation at all. I'm sure that Ginny Weasley is doing her very best to help him out. She'd one of the best in the business and I hear that she's making progress with Draco. Mental recovery takes quite sometime, not days, Narcissa.

I know that Sophia has already written to you and Saphira is planning on doing so if you continue this behaviour. You're like a second mother to me, Narcissa. Please don't waste your life away because you cannot accept your son's mental state. I'm sure Draco wouldn't be too pleased if he found out that you actually were.

-Pansy


Dear Ginny,

Well, it is certainly lovely to hear from you! I've heard quite a bit of news about you and your recent patient. No one can figure out what's wrong with the poor boy, but you are determined to do just that. I'm glad that you followed my advice. Your talent is being put to very good use with Draco.

Now as to your letter, I do believe that I had a Lily Collinsworth in one of my classes about a year or so before I had you. Lily was a bright girl; she had a great amount of potential. I know that she did in fact use Draco Malfoy for her final about eight months before you took him as a patient.

I can't retrieve a copy of her final paper right now, but if you wouldn't mind the trip, you can come to my office at the college sometime next week and I'll have it for you then.

Sincerely,
Prof. Glinda Chuffery nee Upland,
Professor of Psychology


Blaise,

You have no idea how excited I was to receive your letter! It just made my day and your mother's reaction was absolutely priceless.

I discussed the whole date with Ginny and the day that you suggested works for her as well. I'm not exactly sure which type of club to go to. After all, we can go to either a Muggle or a Wizarding club; it's up to you and/or Ginny. Well, technically it'd be up to you since Ginny is too damn indecisive.

And I will pardon the lateness of your response. The fact that you replied at all is a good sign.

-Alise

* * * * * * * * * *

Friday, 21 January 2004

Ginny,

Here are the profiles. I was unable to get Lily Collinsworth's profile, so you might have to work harder for information on her. If you haven't already (and knowing you, you already have), check her college for information.

Anyways, I was going through some of the profiles at random and wow. Ginny, if there is one piece of advice I am to implore upon you it is this: please, please be careful around Malfoy. You have no idea what I heard happened to some of these girls because of him. You're my best friend; I don't want to lose you to him.

Now, as to your little boy toy (oh hush; it's not a bad thing), I'm waiting for the day when I can meet him. He does sound very lovely, indeed. You know that I shall expect a lunch date with you so we can discuss this "Antonio" more. And I forgive you and your forgetful ways. I understand what it's like to be completely anal retentive when it comes to your profession. I was like that in Healer school and I still am.

Glad to put my services to good use.

Always and forever,
Your "Lovely Luna"


Antonio,

It's ok that you didn't respond right away; I know what it's like to be busy and I will admit that I "jumped the gun" a bit. And tell your mother that I adore her compliments, but how did she expect you to reply when she still had the letter?

Things are quite peachy for me in little old England. Like I stated previously, I'm busy, but it comes with my job. I'm used to it by now. As to the group outing, Blaise suggested next Friday, the 28th. We're not sure of the place yet, but I'll let you know soon enough. Hey, if there are any brilliant clubs in Italy, don't be afraid to suggest them.

-Ginny


Dear Professor Chuffery,

I see that someone got married in my two year absence. That's wonderful, Professor! I wish you and your husband a long and prosperous marriage.

Thank you so much for your help! If it's not too much of an inconvenience, I'll try to stop by on Tuesday, the 25th. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Ginny Weasley


Saphira,

I've written to Narcissa and she hasn't responded yet. I'm going to visit Draco.

-Pansy

A/N- Thanks to Angel, my lovely beta. I know it wasn't too terribly long, but this chapter was never meant to be something akin to chapter 5 or longer in length. In fact, I do believe that it is shorter than chapter 4. Also, if you reviewed, I have answered it. Like I said with the last chapter, check any past reviews you may have made for a response to any of your questions. And I know not many of you may have noticed, but I have this little tendancy of naming chapters after songs. Not all of them, but most. Just a little thought for you guys. :D As always, be a dear and review. It's the equivalent of Chicken Noodle Soup and will help me fight the massive cold I have. ;D

Next chapter: Draco has a visitor, Luna and Ginny schedule that little lunch date and Ginny reads some of those profiles...It shall be fun. :)