Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Redemption by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Redemption

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, sadly, as if I did, HBP would have been different…

A/N: This is my response to a Challenge. It is named "HBP: The Redemption", by Talon Karrde, thus the story title. If some of you have read my other story "HP and the quest of the Horcruxes", you may find some similarities in some points. That's because being this one on seventh year too, I rearranged parts of my other story to fit the requirements of the challenge. As usual, if you read, please leave a comment, good, bad, the way you want, but leave it. It means a lot to me.

The requirements:

1. This must strictly, and I mean strictly, to be canon - to draw upon books 1 through 6. It must draw at least twice or more on the events that happened in HBP.

2. Ron and Hermione will get together sometime during the story. You may place them together at the beginning of the story or have them develop into a relationship - Harry/Ginny is optional, but remember that he might still have feelings for her.

3. Ron is NOT a mega-git. He is Ronald Weasley, the sixth son in the Weasley family, and his actions may have been stupid, but nothing too far OOC. For example, he will not go to Voldemort because Harry and Hermione are together. That being said, if you want to pair him, or don't, it is your choice. Preferably, do not kill him, unless it's really fitting.

3. Voldemort does not necessarily have to be defeated...in the first chapter. I'm trying for you guys to write a complex, full, and living response to the "delusional shippers" - not to have the usual ron bashing h/hr snogging stuff that goes on.

The Redemption

Starting of Summer

Harry Potter and his friends had just boarded the Hogwarts Express for their ride back home. Well, most of the students were going home.

As for Harry, he was going back, once again, to his relatives' house, in Privet Drive, but you can hardly call that home. There he was starved, bad treated and so on. He had not cared thus far about that.

The atmosphere was grim. After all, few days before the respected Headmaster of the school, Albus Dumbledore, had been killed by the Potions Master, Severus Snape. Harry had been a witness of that, although unable to intervene as he was frozen under his Invisibility Cloak by the same Headmaster as soon as trouble arrived.

Now, as usual, the boy was searching a compartment for himself and his friends, and as soon as he, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Ginny Weasley were in, he locked the door.

Normally they would have waited for Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood too, but the two of them were who knows where in the crowd, and Harry was so grumpy he didn't want to risk someone bothering his little group in the meantime. When the two of them would arrive, they would be welcomed in. Till that moment, no one would be able to enter.

As the train moved, Ginny tried to break the heavy silence in the compartment.

"So, Harry, are you going back to the Dursleys' now?" she asked, not really knowing what else she could speak about.

"Yeah. This is the last year I have to, luckily. I plan to leave from there as soon as I can, but now, without Dumbledore" and he flinched at saying that, the pain was still really fresh, "the Order is going to have to elect another leader, and then they may decide when I'll be able to come wherever the lot of you is" he said, his tone neutral.

Ron decided to steer away the conversation. He knew talking about his relatives was something painful for Harry.

"So, do you think we'll be able to stay at the Burrow, or we'll need to go.." but there he stopped, fearing Harry's reaction to what he was going to say.

"Go on, Ron. Say it. It is painful to think Sirius is dead, but I can't linger on that anymore. There's a mission I need to accomplish, and I can't be slowed by thoughts of the past, or what it could have been" Harry said, his green orbs blazing with determination.

"Ok, then" Ron continued, a bit worried by Harry's words. He knew the boy tended to bottle emotions in himself, but that was never a wise thing to do. "I mean, Grimmauld Place is the Headquarters of the Order, so it would be logical they kept us there, but maybe they'll think keeping us out of the Order business will be safer for us…"

Harry gave an hollow laugh.

"Safer, Ron? We are at war. Wherever we go, whatever we do or hear, we won't be safe anymore"

Hermione looked at him. Something had changed in her friend. He was cynical as he had never been, almost cruel.

He caught her gaze.

"Hermione, I know my words can be a shock for all of you. But sooner you lot get this in your head, sooner we'll be able to do something. And safer we'll be" he said, with a lingering look on Ginny, who smiled weakly in return.

After almost three months dating, Harry had broken things with her. He wanted her safe, and he could not provide that. Of course he wasn't silly enough to think she will be out of harms now, especially since she was a Weasley, stubborn as few, so she would find a way to help in the war all the same. Plus, the Malfoys were on the other side of the war, and the hate between their families was old.

But he felt better knowing he would not be the direct reason she was targeted.

Almost reading his thoughts, she placed her hand on his own, as to reassure him silently.

"There will be time to weep after we win this war" Harry said, nodding slightly at her and finishing his explanation.

"Something from the cart, dears?" the voice of the witch carrying the sweets cart arrived to them from the corridor. She was approaching.

Harry unlocked the door, and went to do his purchase.

"Eight Chocolate Frogs, some Sugar Quills and four pumpkin pastries" he ordered. Then, after paying for that, he retreated into the compartment, and distributed the sweets.

"Harry, you didn't have to…" Ron started.

"Ron, I've got enough money to live without working my whole life, and I don't care about it. So, please, accept this" Harry said.

They silently started on their snacks.

For sometime no one said a thing.

However, Ron and Hermione kept stealing glances at each other, trying to not get caught by the other.

Ginny noticed, and smiled to herself. As soon as she and Harry had ended eating, she spoke.

"Guys, do you know where Luna and Neville are?"

No one replied.

"Well, I guess we better search for them, then. Harry, come with me" she said, taking him by the hand, unlocking the door and dragging him out with her.

"Why did you do that for?" Harry asked, rubbing his sore wrist.

"To give my brother and Hermione some time alone" she replied nonchalantly. "Haven't you noticed them stealing looks at each other?"

Harry grinned. "Of course I have" then he darkened again. "There was no need of such a strong grip, tough"

"Oh, come on, Baby Hero" she teased him. "Can't you resist a girl's grip on your wrist?"

He scowled mockingly.

"Come with me. We need to talk too" she said. He did.

They found themselves a quiet corner in the corridor, as the compartments were all occupied. Staring at the passing landscape, Ginny spoke.

"Harry, I know your opinion on this, but really, you can't leave me behind" she said, sighing. This was not going to be an easy chat, but she had to try.

"Gin, look at me" he said, softly.

She did, expecting his tone to be maybe angry, but not soft. She was surprised.

"I won't lie to you, Gin" he said, placing an hand on her cheek. "It pains me beyond belief to leave you behind. I've passed maybe the happiest three months of my life with you. You gave me love, and it was something new for me" he said, now looking outside again, but still stroking her cheek gently.

"But for this reason, I can't risk bringing you with me. I don't know where I'll be going, I don't know what I'll be facing. I can't afford losing you, Gin" he said, now looking directly in her eyes.

"But you allow Hermione and Ron to come with you. What, you think they can look out for themselves and I do not?" she asked, hurt that he may think that of her. "I've come to the Department of Mysteries too, Harry, and I got out of there fine" she reminded him, tears now ready to fall.

"Oh, Gin. Is this why you think I did that choice?" he said, hugging her. It pained him to see her in tears. "No, I know you can stand up for yourself. Your hexes are something everyone who knows you is afraid of, especially the Bat Bogey Hex" he said, smiling.

She chuckled through the tears now staining his T-shirt.

"If I beg you to accept my decision, it is because I hope beyond hope to be able to keep you safe. Ron and Hermione have followed me in all my adventures by now, and they are already on the target list. You may not be yet, but remaining my girlfriend you surely will go directly to the top of the list. If Voldemort knows something about me, it is that he can hurt me hurting the ones I care about. The more I care for a person, the more he will try to hurt him/her. And while you can defend yourself, I'm not willing to take the risk" he said, looking at her. Then he did something he knew he shouldn't.

But it was like he could not stop himself.

He leaned toward her face, and softly he brushed his lips on hers.

She gave into the kiss, but a moment later he broke it.

"I'm sorry Gin. I shouldn't have" he said, looking ashamed.

"Well, it's better…it's better if I go searching for Nev and Luna" she said, then walked away, as confused as she could be.

In the meantime, in the compartment…

As soon as Harry and Ginny had left them alone, Ron understood it had been planned by his little sister. He made a mental note to thank her later.

Now, however, he should not waste this chance. So he gathered all his Gryffindor courage, and after a moment of two, he spoke.

"Hermione" he started, his voice sounding a bit strangled.

She looked at him strangely.

"OK, Weasley, smooth start" he reprimanded himself.

"Hermione" he said again, this time normally. "I was thinking, maybe the two of us could go out? I mean, if you reckon that's acceptable, because you see, we're at war, and I thought that maybe we better try to enjoy life while we can…" he started rambling.

Hermione smiled at him. She had understood perfectly what he was asking her, and she could have given him a reply straight away, but she loved when he rambled. She thought he was simply too cute to interrupt.

However, she had tortured him long enough now.

"Ron" she started, amused.

He didn't stop.

"Ron" she said, louder, restraining her giggles.

He looked at her.

"Oh, Ron. It took you two other years after the fight we had at the Yule Ball to ask me out" she said, smiling.

"Well…" he started sheepishly, but she cut him off.

"It's not important. You did, finally. So, yes, I would love to go out with you" she said.

Ron's grin was wide.

He sat there stupidly, looking at her.

Seeing he was not going to do a thing, she moved, and sat in his lap.

"Now would be a good moment to kiss me" she breathed in his hear, warm air tickling him. Unite it to having a beautiful girl in your lap, and you can imagine at which speed Ron's blood started travelling toward southern regions.

"Ok, Ron, think about something disgusting, like Snape in a dress. Yeah, Snape in a dress. Snape in a dress" he repeated some times in his head, managing to avoid an embarrassing situation.

Then, he finally leaned in, and placed his lips on hers.

She linked her arms around his neck, and he felt emboldened by that, so he ran his tongue on her lower lip, asking for entrance.

She eagerly complied, and soon a battle of tongues ensued, thus resulting in a small moan from her that caused his blood to travel south again. He didn't care this time, and kept kissing her with as much passion as he could.

Harry came back to the compartment, and was to enter when he noticed his two best friends engaged in a what seemed to be an highly enjoyable liplock, Hermione in Ron's lap. So he walked back quickly, hoping they had not seen him. Then he grinned to himself.

"It was bloody time they hooked up. The two of them have been dancing around each other for years" he mused, chuckling. If someone was to see him that way, laughing alone, they would think he had gone mad.

"Yeah, at least since fourth year, I guess" he continued musing.

"And then, this year it was the top. Yeah, Ron dated Lavender, but that was a much needed fling, like mine with Cho. Something for experience, I guess. Now, this seems to be serious"

Then, becoming serious once again, his eyes clouded in determination.

"I'll win for them too. After all the times the followed me in reckless adventures and got hurt in the process, the least I can do is to provide them a safe and peaceful world where they can live, with or without me, that we will see. But I won't let Voldemort rule this world. I won't go down without taking him with me, at the very least" he swore to himself.

Then, he walked back to the compartment.

Seeing they were still at it, he devilishly entered without knocking, just to embarrass them.

As soon as they noticed someone looking them, they sprang apart.

"Easy, easy. It's not the first time I see two horny teenagers snogging their brains out" he said, sitting nonchalantly across of them, barely restraining the laugh at their very red faces.

"Harry, this is not like you think" Hermione started weakly. She feared he would take it the wrong way.

"Oh, come on, Hermione. You and Ron had enough sexual tension between the two of you for the whole Gryffindor House" he said, smiling. "It was about time the two of you acted on it"

"So, you're not mad?" they both asked.

"Mad? Why would I be? It's not like the two of you have snuck behind my back. Have you?" he asked then, very well knowing they hadn't.

They shook their heads. In that moment Harry noticed something.

Although they had sprang apart when he had entered, they had never stopped holding hands.

Amused at that, he decided he had teased them enough.

So, he started looking outside again.

Soon Ginny entered, Luna and Neville in tow.

"Where did you find them, Gin?" Harry said. Hermione raised her eyebrows at him hearing the nickname he had given her. Usually they had kept it just for the moments between themselves, but this time it had slipped him. He simply shrug his shoulders.

"Seems like Luna got in one compartment with her housemates and didn't notice time passing. Nev was there with her, quite happy about that, I must say" she said, looking at the boy, who smiled sheepishly and blushed.

Then Ginny couldn't control herself anymore.

"Harry, I found dear old Neville with Luna on his lap, holding hands. I bet if there wasn't an audience I would have caught them snogging!" she said, bursting in laughter.

"That's exactly what we had been doing till few moments before you entered" Luna added nonchalantly, smiling sweetly at the boy who had turned crimson red.

Ginny stared at the couple in shock.

From that moment, the six of them breezed through the hours of the trip to London between jokes, serious talks about the impending war, and moments of silence, where everyone seemed to be lost in his/her thoughts.

Once at Platform 9 and ¾ , they retrieved their trunks and left the train. There they found the Weasleys and some other members of the Order, like Moody, Tonks, Kingsley.

They crossed the barrier to the Muggle part of the station, and Harry spotted his relatives. He inwardly groaned.

Before approaching them, tough, he carefully said good bye to everyone in the group.

His hug to Ginny was particularly long and heartfelt, even more than the ones to Ron and Hermione. It was clear he cared specially for the younger girl.

Then he walked toward his "family".

"Quick, boy" Vernon barked. "We have not all day"

Harry purposely slowed his walk even more. Vernon turned purple.

Then he followed them lazily to their car.

The ride was silent. Harry was already eager to get rid of them once and for all.

Once in the house, Harry was going to bring his trunk upstairs when he heard his cousin.

"Hey Mum, have you noticed Harry's girlfriend?"

"Who, the brown haired one?"

"No, the red head. She was really hot, you know. But if she's with the freak, she must be some kind of whore"

One moment later, Dudley Dursley found himself pinned to the wall, Harry's wand pointed at his throat.

"You. won't. say. That. Again" he hissed menacingly.

"Or what, boy?" Vernon barked. "You don't dare menace my family" the man said, walking toward Harry, purple.

"Or what, dear Uncle Vernon?" Harry said in a mocking sweet voice.

"I'll beat you so bad you will forget your own name, boy" Vernon said, nearing him.

"Don't move" Harry growled. "One more step and you'll try on yourself my wand"

"Don't be ridiculous, boy. You can't use that outside school" Vernon laughed.

"I don't care. I'm not going back to school anyhow, since I've got more important things to care about, so don't try me" Harry menaced, then went upstairs to his room.

Days passed slowly at Privet Drive. After his show, the Dursleys had treated him well like never before. Probably they knew this was last time they would see him anyhow, so they decided to sacrifice for a bit.

Only thing that made his day were the letters he received from his friends.

After one week, Ginny's one came.

"Hey Harry,

how are you doing?

I'm pretty well, although I miss you.

But Luna is keeping me company these days.

She lives nearby, so she often comes to visit.

Ron is making me mad talking about Hermione.

I swear, he has it bad.

I can't wait to see you again, even if I know

We're not together anymore.

Love,

Ginny"

He chuckled reading about Ron's behaviour. Shaking his head, he wrote her, telling her about the little show he gave his relatives. He couldn't help to smile softly thinking about her. On one thing, Dudley was right. She was hot. But she was many other things his cousin did not know, and far more important to him.

Then it was Hermione's turn.

"Hello Harry.

I'm sure the Dursleys are giving you an hard time,

However don't let them bull you around too much.

You've got to study, we won't go at school this year

But we still need all the knowledge we can obtain.

And sorry to tell you this, but I think going back to

Hogwarts would be better.

There's a library there that you can hardly find somewhere

Else. All that knowledge could be useful somehow.

Tomorrow I'm off to Australia with my parents, I'm

So excited!

Hoping to see you soon, your

Hermione"

He read it many times, thinking about her suggestion.

In a rush he had decided he would not go back to Hogwarts. But, after all, she was right. The library could be useful. He would consider it.

"Dear Hermione,

The Dursleys are being nice to me. Probably because I scared

them to death when my stupid cousin insulted Ginny, and I told

them I would use magic on them if they did not behave, as I

would not go back to Hogwarts anyhow.

So, I'm doing fine, but I'm bored. Your suggestion to study may

resolve my days filling them. I'll do it.

As for going back to Hogwarts, I'll consider it. I still think being able

To search all the time is better, but you do have a point.

The library is precious. We'll talk about it again when we see each other.

Hoping to see you soon,

Harry"

Then, after almost three weeks, when he had done all what their professors had required them to, and was bored out of his mind, a letter from McGonagall arrived.

"Harry,

I'm writing you as new Head of the Order. I want to

Inform you that you won't be able to leave your relatives' house

Before more or less a week before the 1st of September. I'm sorry about

That, but we need you to be provided with the strongest protection this year.

We'll see each other at the Burrow after you arrive.

Yes, at the Burrow. I don't think the gloomy atmosphere of Grimmauld Place

Will be of some help to you. Better have a bit of fun till you can, my boy.

Minerva McGonagall"

Harry groaned.

If there was something he didn't look forward to, was passing his birthday with his relatives.

***

As expected, his coming of age was forgotten by his "relatives", but not by his friends, who sent him letters wishing him the best.

Finally the day of leaving the Dursleys came. He had received an owl from Hermione telling him she would come to pick him up with her parents at noon.

He was so excited by that, he could hardly stay in his room without pacing.

As soon as the bell rang, he bolted from upstairs with his trunk resized and in his pocket, Hedwig's cage with it, and opened just to find himself in front of Hermione.

He grinned at her.

"Australia did lots of good to you" he said, looking at her appreciatively.

She blushed.

"Smooth talker" she swatted him on the arm.

The Dursley had arrived by then.

"I guess you're Harry's relatives" Hermione said coldly. "I'm Hermione Granger, and these are my parents" she motioned to the two adults now behind her. "We're here to pick Harry up"

"Well, off with you then. We hope to not see one of you lot again here" Vernon said, effectively shutting the door in front of them, Harry being shoved out of the house in the process.

Roger Granger was going to knock and ask explanation of that rude behaviour, but Harry stopped him.

"Please, Mr. Granger. There's no need to. They simply hate me, my friends and those related to them. We better get going" he said, somewhat ashamed.

The man nodded, and they boarded the car, a blue BMW 325 Touring.

As soon as they started moving, Hermione spoke softly to him.

"I can't believe you lived with those people so long, and came out the way you have, Harry"

"Oh, that's not an hard feat. As long as you avoid or ignore them, you are fine enough" he said, smiling.

She giggled.

Then she got serious again.

"So we're to start another crazy adventure, uh?" she said.

"I think so. But please, let's talk about this later at the Burrow, ok?" he said. "For the moment, I want to savour seeing you again, and finally being away from them once and for all"

Soon both of them drifted to a dreamless sleep, while Anne Granger looked at them smiling from the mirror.

She was glad her baby girl had found such good friends at Hogwarts, as she had never had them in Muggle school.


-->