Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Redemption by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Redemption

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, sadly, as if I did, HBP would have been different…

A/N: This is my response to a Challenge. It is named "HBP: The Redemption", by Talon Karrde, thus the story title. If some of you have read my other story "HP and the quest of the Horcruxes", you may find some similarities in some points. That's because being this one on seventh year too, I rearranged parts of my other story to fit the requirements of the challenge. As usual, if you read, please leave a comment, good, bad, the way you want, but leave it. It means a lot to me.

Seventh Year Starts

As predicted, Molly woke them up early, hoping for once to not have to board the train at the last minute.

Still groggy, Ron and Harry woke up, and they were just finished showering when Hermione entered to check on them and make sure they were not sleeping again. This caused the girl to see both of them in boxers.

As soon as she realized the situation, she blushed furiously.

"Come on, you two. Breakfast is ready" she said, before walking away hastily.

Ron and Harry looked at the door dumbfounded, their brains still not working well enough to grasp the happened.

Soon, they were down to grab something to eat, while the girls were already there, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Once they were done eating, they gathered their things.

"Ok, let's shrink these" Arthur said, and with few flicks of his wand their trunks were small boxes they could put into their pockets. Then they Portkeyed to the Leaky Cauldron.

"From here we'll go with the Muggle transportation, so behave yourself. Got it, Ron?" Molly said sternly.

All of them nodded. Harry and Hermione guided them through the underway, making tickets and so on, till they were finally seated.

Chatter followed, till Harry pointed out they should go down at the next stop. Everyone prepared, and Harry was reminded of the first trip he did on the underway with Hagrid. Those were his first moments as a wizard.

Once at the station, they easily passed the barrier, and Arthur reversed their trunks to their original size, so they could put them on the train.

"Please, be careful" Molly said them when they boarded the train. She was talking especially to the trio, as they all knew the three of them had an important mission to accomplish that year.

Soon, the train moved, and few minutes later King's Cross was out of view.

Harry and his friends occupied a compartment toward the end of the train.

"I'll come back soon, I need to go to the prefects compartment" Ginny said. Ron nodded, and stood up himself. "Me too".

So, while waiting for Neville and Luna to show up, Harry and Hermione were left alone.

"Wonder who will be Head Boy and Head Girl this year" she said, a bit wistfully.

"I don't know. I'm sorry you weren't chosen tough, I know how much it meant to you"

"Oh, no. There are more important things" she said. "Winning this war is far more important, and winning it keeping you alive is what means the most to me" she admitted.

He was touched at her words, and hugged her.

"Thanks. I've never thanked you enough for staying at my side through all these years, even when no one else was, and I mean no one else, not even Ron" he said, and a single tear rolled down his cheek.

She wiped it away.

"No need to thank me, Harry. I believe in you, I've always done, and this is why I stay by you no matter what. This is why me and Ron are coming with you when you'll go searching for Horcruxes"

He nodded, and resumed staring at the landscape.

Soon Ginny and Ron came back, with Luna and Neville.

"You won't believe it. No one knows who the Heads are, seems they have not been chosen yet" Ginny said, sitting across of Harry. Ron sat near Hermione, while Neville and Luna occupied the last two places.

"Well, probably it's a decision that needs some time, Gin. This year is crucial that the Heads can keep the Hogwarts population safe and quiet, after what happened last year. To me, it's still a miracle Hogwarts is open at all" Neville commented.

"So, Nev, how are things going with our lovely Miss Lovegood here?" Harry asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, we are not suited for each other" the girl replied dreamily, "so we chose to remain friends. I will admit that he's an excellent snog tough"

Neville became scarlet red, and all of the others laughed.

So, between laughs, chats, and some snogging for Hermione and Ron who took some moments for themselves, the train ride passed quickly.

Once at the castle, they entered the Great Hall for the usual Welcoming Feast.

Harry noticed that the Slytherins were much less than usual, the sixth and seventh years weren't there.

"Probably gone to feed Voldemort's ranks" he muttered bitterly. "Far worse for them, if I happen to find someone on my path"

Hermione shushed him when she noticed Headmistress McGonagall standing up.

"Dear students, I would like few words before the feast begins, as probably your attention won't be as high later. First, as usual the Forbidden Forest is, as the name suggests, forbidden to everyone. Then, Mr. Filch has gently reminded me the list of prohibited items, and that includes everything coming from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Now, for a more important matter, I would like to present you the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher, Albert Trayens" she motioned to one man to stand.

He was a tall man, his face hard and serious. He nodded at the crowded Hall, before sitting again.

"Guess he will be as knowing as Moody is about Dark Arts" Ron muttered. "Although we never had a lesson with the real Moody…"

"And he will be right to do so" Hermione retorted.

Then McGonagall spoke again.

"We have a new Potions Master too. Ms. Katherine Pastral"

A blonde young woman stood up and smiled graciously at them. Many boys grinned stupidly.

"Finally, I'm sure the prefects have noticed on the train the absence of the Heads. This is because the choosing took us longer than expected, so we decided to announce it directly here in the Great Hall. Please, Ms. Granger and Mr. Potter, come to take your badges"

Hermione and Harry looked at each other in shock, then slowly got up and walked to the staff table where their badges were appointed on their school robes.

"I'll show you personally your quarters after the feast" Professor McGonagall announced to them.

Then the two teens walked back to their table, still a bit dazed for the surprise of being chosen.

Later, after the first years were settled in their new common room and dorms, Professor McGonagall entered the Gryffindor one, now almost empty, to show Harry and Hermione their quarters.

Just outside the portrait hole, she went to a picture showing a picnic in the grounds.

"This is the entrance to the Gryffindor Heads Quarters" she announced. "You'll need to choose a password"

Harry and Hermione consulted briefly, then spoke together, "Bravery and Victory". The Headmistress nodded, tapped her wand on the portrait, and the password was set.

Then they entered to find a little common room, and two bedrooms. The beds were larger than in the dorms, and the rooms well refined. There were some shelves to stock their books, and a small fireplace.

Harry and Hermione grinned at each other.

"Now, I'm sure you are both curious to know why I appointed you two as Heads, knowing you have tasks to fulfil. That's exactly the point. Here you will be able to plan your search without someone being able to eavesdrop or intrude in your plans. Of course you can invite your friends here, especially Mr. Weasley as if I'm not mistaken he will be part of the search too"

They nodded.

"Very well then. And don't worry about the usual Heads rounds or such things. When you're here, you'll have to do them, but if you need to leave, the staff will cover your absence, from classes too. Now, I reckon a good night sleep will do wonders for you, and tomorrow your last year at Hogwarts starts" she said.

"Good night, professor" both the teens said.

Then the older witch left.

"I can't believe it, we're both Heads!" Hermione squealed, hugging him.

"Oh, I'm sure you would have preferred a certain redhead to be here in my place. With these large beds…" he teased her.

She blushed, then swatted him on the arm. "Harry James Potter, take your mind out of the gutter" she mockingly scolded him. "Although I've to admit this would be the best snogging spot" she admitted.

Harry laughed.

"Well, I think we really should catch some sleep. Good Night, Mione"

"What did you call me?" she said, surprised.

"Hem…Mione?" he said tentatively. He had forgot for a moment she hated nicknames.

She smiled. "I kind of like it, you know"

He breathed his relief. "For a moment I thought you were going to hex me…"

So they finally headed to bed.

Before falling asleep, Harry kept thinking about his female best friend. Since they started recalling the past years at the school, back at the Burrow, he mulled over her loyalty to him, and how much he cared for her. He had to admit she was quite beautiful too.

"No good will come from lingering on these thoughts" he decided then, and finally sleep took him.

Next morning their term started. After a good breakfast with Ron, Ginny and their other friends, Harry and Hermione headed to the Transfiguration classroom, Ron with them.

They sat in their usual spots, and waited for Professor McGonagall to start the lesson. Once everyone was there, the Headmistress started talking.

"This year, we'll focus on Animagus transformation, so that you can see if you have the abilities or not to become one. For today, I want you to read the first chapter of your book, then I'll ask you some questions to make sure you've got the basis of the theory. We can't try it without having the basis, that would be extremely dangerous"

So they started reading, and taking notes. After last year, in which he had gotten a reputation he did not deserve in potions thanks to the Half-Blood Prince's book, Harry decided to focus on his studies more and more.

He kept scribbling as furiously as Hermione, while Ron looked at both of them shaking his head.

"Hope this business about the Horcruxes doesn't make Harry become like another Hermione, with one I can cope, with two it would be terrible" the redhead thought, doodling on his parchment.

"Mr. Weasley, I assume you've already finished reading and taking notes" the professor said. He reddened and shook his head, then started working.

Hermione stopped her work just to look at him, then shook her head in disappointment.

Harry never stopped his work, oblivious to the world outside the book he was reading.

Then they headed to Potions.

"Wonder how this new professor is" Hermione mused while walking there.

"I'm sure she's better than Snape, and it is already something" Ron commented.

"Ron, Snape was evil, but in potion-making few are better than him" Hermione reminded her boyfriend.

"As long as she can do the potions we need for NEWTs, I prefer someone less skilled in brewing but loyal and true, not vile and evil like Snape" Harry said coldly. Images of the man killing Dumbledore flashed in his mind, and his anger raised.

Once in the dungeon, they took their usual seats, prepared their cauldrons, and waited.

Soon later, Professor Pastral came into the room.

"Good morning, class"

"Good morning, professor" they all replied.

"Now, today we're going to brew a very useful potion, but difficult too. It is particularly useful for those wishing to become an Auror" and that raised Harry's interest, "as it can give a first aid healing to most curses. It's called, just for that, the First Aid Potion"

After writing the instructions on the board, the professor sat at her desk reading. During the hour, she moved here and there, checking her students' work.

When she came to Harry, she looked him working for some time.

"I reckon you're Harry Potter" she said then, warmly.

He nodded, not taking his eyes from the cauldron, stirring it clock-wise as instructed.

"Well, Harry, I see you're more skilled in brewing that your marks would make one think. You're doing quite well here" she praised him.

He smiled feebly, continuing in his work. The professor nodded and went to check another student.

One month passed quickly, and Harry found himself joining more and more Hermione in the library, for school assignments. He found most of the lessons enjoyable, apart for History of Magic. He tried to be attentive in that one too, tough.

He was especially pleased with his potion-making. With Professor Pastral he found himself at ease, and able to work quietly and well. He found he did not need suggestions from a mysterious book to be top in the class, being even with Hermione.

She beamed at him.

"See, I knew you had it in yourself" she praised him on their way to the Great Hall for lunch, one day that they had been given the marks to a potion they brewed.

Professor Trayens in DADA was quite good too.

But in the library the two of them did not work only on school assignments. They had been given by the Headmistress unlimited access to the Restricted Section, and they kept working on their search for the Horcruxes too.

They would scribble notes on what they could find on the argument and on the two most suspected objects, Slytherin's locket and Hufflepuff's cup, then at night, in their quarters, they would go over their notes again and again, discussing them, and discarding the information they thought not reliable.

Finally, Harry took a decision. One night he called Ron into their common room.

"Guys, we need to do a trip in London. We need information on the one who most probably took the locket, Regulus Black"

"You mean Sirius's brother?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded.

So it was decided. After obtaining permission by Professor McGonagall, they left two days later, Portkeying to Diagon Alley.

Once there, Harry led them to the Ministry. He needed to collect some information on Regulus and the only person he knew from which he could have it was Tonks, who, being Sirius's cousin, was Regulus's one too.

"Wotcher, guys. What are you doing here?"

"Hi, Tonks. We're here to collect some information on Regulus, your cousin" Harry said.

"Strange man, he was. Never liked him in the first place, and Sirius didn't too" she commented. "In fact he became a Death Eater, honouring the Black family name. Well, considering this, the strange ones should be Sirius and me" she added amusedly.

"However, he was not an evil man. Soon he understood the wrongness of his choice, so he tried to step back from them. But you can't resign from being a Death Eater…" she continued sadly. "And so he was killed"

That much Harry and the others already knew, so he asked again.

"Do you know where he lived once he left the Black household? Once he left Grimmauld Place?"

"Well, I didn't hear a lot from him, no one did, but last I checked he lived in a small house in the suburbs of Manchester. It was a wooden one, painted in dark blue on the sides, while dark red for the roof. Nothing really recognizable, as he was trying to keep a low profile and avoid being found by Voldemort's followers" she explained. "Sorry I can't tell you more, but that's all what I know"

"Ok, thanks all the same. This information will be useful" Harry said, then he and the others turned to go away, leaving the Auror behind, wondering why they were so interested in Regulus. Accompanying them to the lifts, Tonks managed to trip over the carpet of her office, making her paperwork fly everywhere in the room.

Harry and the others kept walking after her reassurance that she was ok, sharing a small smile. Tonks would never change and will always be that clumsy.

Harry couldn't avoid wondering how she passed the Auror admittance tests, as secrecy wasn't exactly her best feature.

Once they were out of there, the three of them Apparated to Hogsmeade, and walked to the castle. They went straight to the Headmistress's office, giving the password to the gargoyle. "Bewitched lights" Harry said, and it sprung to life allowing them access to the staircase. Once there, they explained the situation and asked permission to go to Manchester. Ron knew a Wizarding pub in there, so they would not have to fear about Apparating in the middle of the Muggle city. However, to avoid another walk to the village, the professor created a Portkey for them. Minutes later, they were in the town.

Then they searched for a small wooden house like Tonks had described Regulus's one, and when they finally found it, not more than 30 minutes away from Manchester's most fashionable area, it was by now just ruins.

From what they could see it had been made of cherry wood, and it was still painted in dark blue, while the roof was in normal dark red just as Tonks had said. It seemed time had not ruined the colours, or it had been repainted not long before being destroyed.

Once they managed to get it standing again with lots of Repairing Charms, they searched the rest of the ruins for signs of the Horcrux.

But they found nothing, apart from blood stains on the wood planks.

"He must have tried to put up a good fight" Ron commented, touching one of them.

"Yeah, but that's doesn't tell us if he had already destroyed it or not" Harry said, kneeling to examine something on the floor.

"No, he didn't" Hermione said.

Both the boys turned toward her.

In her hand was a parchment. They rushed to her sides.

There were signs they did not understand.

"Those are ancient runes, that's why you can't read them. It says, more or less "With wings it vanished from me, and now where the white rock and the sea are meeting it you should see""

"Well, that's easy. We just have to search every white rock near the sea…" Ron said, rolling his eyes. "Couldn't he be more precise?"

"Of course he couldn't, Ronald. Every one would have known where to search if he was, so he could have spared the trouble to hide it" Hermione retorted, rolling her eyes at him.

"Guys, now, don't start fighting. We need to concentrate on the task at hand" Harry chastised them.

"Yeah, right. Sorry, Harry" both of them said, grinning sheepishly.

They remained that way for some time, thinking, till Harry stood up.

"It's not one random white rock he's talking about. I think I know about which place he's written that small riddle about"

"How can you? There are no hints at where in the country it could be…" Ron protested.

"Ron, I'm not saying I know for sure. But look, it says "with wings" then "white rock". So what if he's talking about a white rock with wings?" he said.

The other two looked at each other, wondering where that theory came from. Ron was sure Harry had lost it. How could a rock have wings?

However, they agreed to follow him.

So he made them grip his arm, as he didn't know the name of the place, so he couldn't tell them where to Apparate and they did it together to the coast near Dover, where from the high rocks above the sea they looked upon the water, till their gaze met, not far from the shore, a white rock with a shape slightly resembling a seagull.

Harry had thought of this rock because he had remembered that Regulus's Patronus was a seagull, as Sirius had told him once, so he thought maybe the man had wanted someone knowing him to think about it and make the connection. Someone outside of the Death Eaters circle, as probably they didn't even know that particular.

The words of the riddle seemed to confirm that.

The problem now was to reach the rock and check if the theory was right. Apparating there was risky as it was really little. You could easily end in the ocean instead, and that wouldn't be pretty as it was in that day thoroughly agitated.

For hours they sat staring at the rock, wondering just how to reach it, when Hermione had, as usual, a brilliant idea.

"First of all there's no need for us to go all there. One of us will do to retrieve the thing, then we can work on it here, where we have space. And since I'm the thinnest, maybe it's better I go there…"

"But this is my task, Hermione. If you got hurt in doing it, I would not forgive myself" Harry said.

"Hey, I'm just going to take it and bring it back here…"

"Ok. So how are you going there?" the boys asked. She grinned.

"That's for me to know and for you to see" she said, walking toward the edge of the rocks, and then throwing herself down.

"Hermione!" both Harry and Ron cried, running to see what was happened to her. And they saw her hovering few feet off the sea surface.

"Come on, guys, just a little Hovering charm…" she said, chuckling, then they saw her moving toward the isle. The wind was making her float there.

"I swear, that girl is a genius" Harry said, in awe.

"Couldn't have said it better myself" Ron agreed. "Lucky me she's my girlfriend"

At these words Harry's inner monster didn't seem too pleased. He shrugged it off, although he scowled.

"It's just I'm not yet used to think of them as a couple" he thought, while looking her land on the rock.

Once there, Hermione started searching everywhere, but it seemed the small rock didn't have caves or secret entrances.

"What if Harry is mistaken?" she thought in anguish. "Or am I not able to find it?"

Just then, turning, she tripped on her shoelace, and fell in the water, barely managing to keep herself attached to the rock with her hands.

What she saw while trying to get back on surprised her. In the side of the rock, just below the water surface, a small entrance was conceived. She could sense magic being used on it.

Not being able to use her wand to open it, having to hold on the rock for dear life if she didn't want to be brought away from the waves, she tried pushing on the rock with her hands and feet, but to no avail.

Finally the tide started to change and even if the sea was still agitated, she was soon out of the water apart for her feet. She pulled on the rock and pushed on the side with her feet too, to help herself, so she was back on top of it, took her wand and tried every unlocking charm she knew on the side, that was now in the open, out of the water.

Harry and Ron kept watching her struggle, till in the end they noticed a crack opening in the rock.

"Hermione! It's open!" they cried together.

She, who had been with her eyes close to concentrate better, suddenly opened them and grinned, pushing one hand into the cavity. She grabbed the necklace, and pulled it out of its hiding place, but suddenly fangs appeared on the crack borders, closing swiftly on her hand. They were going to chop it off if she did not do something quickly.

"Hermione! Apparate here!" Harry shouted, but she couldn't if she wanted her hand, and the necklace, to exit the small cavity.

Finally, after many attempts and her hand already being injured by the fangs, she managed to hit them with a Tickling Charm. That did the magic, as the fangs sprung open, moving wildly around, and she extracted hand and locket. Then she Apparated to her friends.

"Wow! That was brilliant!" both of them commented, hugging her. Ron greeted her with a long kiss that she eagerly replied.

Then she smiled, pleased with herself.

"But you're hurt!" Harry said, then, noticing lots of blood dripping from her hand.

"Oh, it's nothing" she said, and with a quick Healing charm her hand was fixed. However, hearing Harry once again so worried for her had made her feel strangely giddy. "Now, the hard work. We need to figure out a way to destroy it" she continued, trying to ignore it.

So they sat with the heavy golden locket with the S of Slytherin in the middle, trying at turns hexes and spells to make it break.

"Impedimenta!" Ron cried.

"Reducto!" Harry said.

"Deflagro!" Hermione shouted, but to no avail. If it had worked the locket would have exploded in a thousand pieces.

After everyone of their attempts, the necklace glowed a sick green, and remained the same. Plus, if everyone but Harry touched it in the middle, it burned their skin. Ron and Hermione got two nasty bruises with that.

Harry thought about simply smashing it on the rocks, but it didn't work. The object was unscathed.

Finally the night came, so they resigned to leave it like it was for the day. They Apparated back to Hogsmeade and walked to the castle, Harry hiding the necklace in his pocket. They went once again to see the Headmistress.

Once they reported what had happened, she nodded, took notes on that, then sent them to have dinner, while she examined the locket.

"Wonder what you've to do to open it" Ron said, once in the Great Hall, still munching. That earned him a swat on the head from Hermione.

"I am at a loss for it" Harry admitted.

"Well, we'll figure out something tomorrow. For now let's be content with having taken it from its hiding place" Hermione reasoned.

Later, after some relaxing chat, Harry went to bed.

Since he was the most knackered, he immediately fell asleep. But his one was not a pleasant slumber, tormented by nightmares of Voldemort sneering, telling him he had almost done it, but since he couldn't break his Horcruxes, finding them was useless.

Finally he woke up with a start, his scar burning.

He went for a walk, then when he felt he was ok, went back to sleep.

Next morning he was still shaken.

"Harry, you all right mate?" Ron asked, while sipping tea at the Gryffindor table.

"Yeah, just some bad dreams" he said.

After a quick breakfast they went to see the Headmistress.

"Harry, I've checked it, but the magic on it seems to be repellent of every kind of spell used on the object. I was up all night, but couldn't find a way to open it, even less to damage it" she said, giving it back to them. "Maybe in the library…I'll excuse you from classes today, it is of the biggest importance that we destroy this"

The teens nodded, and went to the library.

For the whole morning their attempts failed, till Harry had one idea.

"Why not? After all this thing is Slytherin's, the other owner was Voldemort…"

"What are you talking about, Harry?"

He did not respond, but started concentrating, his eyes shut, and hissings came from his mouth.

"Open to your Master. Let me see what you contain" he said in Parseltongue.

And a soft click was heard. The locket opened, but it was empty.

"Not that I expected it to contain something important, but at least we know it reacts to Parseltongue" Harry said, proud of himself.

"That's genial, Harry! I hadn't thought of that!" Hermione squealed, hugging him.

"Now, for the last test…" Harry started, ignoring her touch, or at least trying to.

Excited but also afraid of what could happen, "Reducto!" he shouted in Parseltongue.

They say hexes told in that language are more powerful.

It seemed true, as the locket broke in two.

Harry did it times and times again till just powder was in front of them.

"I guess this one is done, then" Harry said, pumping his fist in triumph, while Ron and Hermione complimented him, the girl giving him a kiss on the cheek that made him blush a little.

"Let's go tell McGonagall" Hermione suggested, smiling at him. So they did, Ron leading his girlfriend hand in hand.

The Headmistress was extremely pleased with their result, and let them enjoy a free afternoon. She said she would have notes of their classes for the day brought to them that evening, so they could study and not remain behind.

Harry decided a flight on his Firebolt 2005 was a good way of releasing the adrenaline and the stress of the past two days, so he passed the whole afternoon up in the air.

Hermione and Ron took the chance to enjoy some time by themselves, near the lake.

Weather was still quite good, just a bit chilly it was starting to get, so they sat under a tree, Ron holding her.

"Seems we started with the right foot this business" he said softly, stroking her hair.

She sighed. "Yes, so it seems" she said, leaning on him.

They sat quietly, enjoying the closeness.

Then she turned and kissed him, so they started snogging.

Harry was flying that way just in that moment, and saw them.

His monster rose once again, just like when he had seen Ginny kissing Dean, previous year.

"But how can it be? It's Hermione we're talking about! It has to be that I'm not used to them being together" he thought, flying away.

Hermione started getting drowsy, so soon she fell asleep in her boyfriend's arms, while Ron kept stroking her hair lovingly.

That night Harry had nightmares again. This time, however, they involved Hermione kissing someone he could not see, and then following him into darkness, out of his view and reach.


-->