Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Redemption by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Redemption

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, sadly, as if I did, HBP would have been different…

A/N: This is my response to a Challenge. It is named "HBP: The Redemption", by Talon Karrde, thus the story title. If some of you have read my other story "HP and the quest of the Horcruxes", you may find some similarities in some points. That's because being this one on seventh year too, I rearranged parts of my other story to fit the requirements of the challenge. As usual, if you read, please leave a comment, good, bad, the way you want, but leave it. It means a lot to me.

A Sirius Memory

Harry slept well that night. Peaceful dreams were a pleasant new after the nightmares he had endured often since Dumbledore's death.

Maybe Ginny's idea of relaxing recalling old times was doing him good. Or maybe it was being at the Burrow again, enjoying one last week of relax with his friends before going back to Hogwarts, something he didn't plan to at the end of sixth year.

So, he woke up well rested, and found that he was alone in the room. Frowning, he got up, went to have a quick shower, then after dressing in a red t-shirt and jeans, he went down to catch some breakfast.

He spotted the others already outside, and felt a bit put out that they had not awaken him so he could be with them.

Shrugging, he took some pumpkin juice, a cup of coffee and a couple sausages.

He was not particularly hungry.

After eating, he walked outside to them.

"Hullo, guys"

"Hey, sleepyhead. Welcome between us" Ginny teased him, then went to greet him properly with a kiss on the cheek.

Hermione and Ron greeted him too, and the four of them went for a walk.

"Sorry if we left you alone, Harry, but you seemed so peaceful we thought better to let you have some rest" Hermione said. "We all know the nightmares you've been through till now"

"You know?" he asked, surprised.

"Well, even if you cast a silencing charm on your bed, we can see you trashing in your sleep, Harry" Ron pointed out. "Not healthy at all to keep all bottled in, if you ask me, but that's your choice to make"

Harry looked in the distance. Yes, Ron was right. Maybe he should talk to them about his nightmares. But he wasn't ready yet.

So, for now, he stayed silent, walking with Ginny's hand in his own toward the pond in the wood behind the house.

They settled there, and chatted for some time. Ron sat leaning on a tree, Hermione for the moment remained standing, looking around the pond for some interesting herb while taking part in the conversation.

Now and then Harry would catch a glance between his two best friends, and knew they would like to share a moment alone soon. After all, they hadn't been allowed much of that since the train ride.

He sighed.

He could have that with Ginny, if he hadn't a madman after him. Once again he cursed his fate. Of course he could have kept her, but that would have put her in danger, and he was not willing to lose her.

Oh, she was in danger all the same. He wasn't that naïve to think she wasn't just because he had broken up with her. All of them, being on the Light side, were in danger in the impending war. But, he hoped maybe his gesture made her a bit safer.

Mulling over that, he did not notice he had automatically started running his hand trough her red hair. She sighed contentedly, and leaned her head on his shoulder.

As aware as she was that he was not going to take her back for the moment, his little gestures now and then showed he did really care for her. So she hoped maybe, after the war, they could restart from where they had stopped.

Molly called them for lunch, so the group moved toward the house. Hermione had collected some strange looking herbs, probably for research.

Harry shook his head chuckling.

"What's so funny?" the brunette asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Nothing. Just that you never cease to amaze me, Hermione. We're still on holiday for few days, and you go taking herbs you can search about in the books" he said, looking fondly at her.

Her expression softened. "It's an habit. Reading makes me relax, so if I've got something to read about, I'm fine" she said, looking down and blushing a bit.

"No need to feel embarrassed, Hermione" Ron said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "We all know you love to read"

So they reached the house, and had lunch with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

"Tomorrow the twins will probably visit" Molly announced. "At least, that's what Fred owled me"

Ron and Harry's eyes lit up. The twins there meant they could play a two-on-two Quidditch match…

In the afternoon, Harry excused himself from the others, and went for a flight on his broom. He needed to clear his thoughts, and nothing better than a good flight to do that.

He came back just in time for dinner.

"We were almost going to search for you" Ginny scolded him with her hands on her hips.

"Gin, you're scary when you do this, you know that, don't you?" he said.

"Yeah, perfect replica of Mum you are" Ron said, coming into the room with Hermione.

"So, did the two of you sneak off to snog?" Harry teased them. "I know you wanted to since this morning"

Both of them blushed.

Harry simply chuckled and went to put his broom in his and Ron's room, then came back down for dinner.

After eating and helping Mrs. Weasley a bit with the dishes, they retreated to the girls' room.

They sat on the beds, as usual Ron holding Hermione and Harry and Ginny near each other.

"So, tonight it's third year we're going to recall" Ginny announced proudly. "Harry, I guess it's you who has to start"

"Oh, well. Here it is, then. My fondest memory of third year"

" "Do you want to kill me, Harry?" Sirius Black asked, being on the floor with Harry's wand pointed on him.

"You killed my parents", his voice barely trembling, but his hand steady.

Black looked at him.

"I don't deny it" he said. "But if you knew how it had happened…"

"How it happened? You sold them to Voldemort, this is all what I've got to know"

"You've got to listen to me" Black said, urgently. "Or you'll regret it. You don't understand…"

"I understand lots more than you think. You never heard her, did you? My mother, trying to stop Voldemort and protecting me…and it was you…it was you…"

Crookshanks jumped on Black's chest and nested there.

"Get down" the man whispered, trying to push the cat away, but it dug his nails in his clothes.

Hermione looked at the scene in fear.

Harry was ready. What did it matter if he needed to kill the cat too? It was Black's ally, it was not his business if it tried to protect him.

Steps were heard.

Hermione shouted.

"We're here! We're here, there's Black! Hurry!"

Lupin entered.

"Expelliarmus!" he cried toward Harry, who lost his wand, as well as Hermione with the other two.

Harry looked defeated. His nerves had failed him. Black was to be given to the Dementors.

Then Lupin spoke.

"Where is he, Sirius?"

Harry was confused. Where was who?

Black did nothing for a moment, then nodded toward Ron. Harry looked at his friend in shock, and Ron had the face as shocked as his.

"But then, why did he reveal himself in all these years? Or was it him…did you exchange without telling me?"

Black nodded.

"Professor, what…?"

Lupin lowered his wand. Harry was dumbfounded.

Then the man went to help Sirius from the ground, and hugged him as a brother.

"I can't believe it!" Hermione cried. "You…you…"

"Hermione" Lupin started

"You…and he…"

"Hermione, calm down…"

"I never said anyone..." Hermione continued. "I covered your back!"

"Hermione, listen to me! I can explain!" Lupin said.

Harry was shook by rage. "I believed you!" he cried at the man, "And you've always been his friend!"

"You're wrong. For twelve years I haven't been his friend. I am now. Let me explain…"

"No. Don't listen to him. He wants you dead too. He helped him into he castle. He's a Werewolf" Hermione spat.

"This time you've not been right to your fame, Hermione. You got one on three, I fear. I did not help him into the castle, I surely don't want Harry dead, and yes, I admit I'm a werewolf"

Ron hissed in pain. Lupin walked toward him concerned.

"Get away from me, werewolf!" the redhead shouted.

He stopped, and fatigued, turned toward Hermione.

"How long have you known?"

"Lots of time" she whispered. "Since I did the essay for Professor Snape"

"He'll be happy" the man said coldly. "He assigned that hoping someone would catch on my symptoms. Did you check the moon calendar, or did you guess the Boggart transformed itself in the moon when I was in front of it?"

"Both" she said.

He chuckled. "For your age, you're really smart, Hermione"

"No. If I were I would have said it"

"Oh, but they know. The staff, at least"

"Dumbledore hired you knowing you're a werewolf?" Ron said. "Is he mad?"

"Some thought that. He had lots of troubles convincing all of them I was to trust"

"And he was wrong. You've helped him…" Harry said, enraged.

"I did not. If you let me, I'll explain" then he gave them back the wands.

"Now you're armed and we are not. Can I explain now?"

Harry was confused. Was it a trap?

"If you never helped him, how did you know he was here?"

"The map. The Marauders Map" Lupin said. "I was in my study looking at it…"

"You know how it works?"

"Of course I do. I helped designing it! I'm Moony. My friends called me that in school"

"You designed it?"

"The important thing is that tonight I was checking it because I guessed you and your friends would try to sneak out of the castle to be near Hagrid. It was probable you would have used your father's cloak…"

"How do you know about it?"

"You can't imagine how many times I've seen James vanishing under it. But on the map, you can be seen even with the cloak. I followed your movements, and when you left Hagrid's hut, there was someone else with you"

"It's false" Harry said.

Lupin ignored him. "I thought the map was wrong. How could he be with you? But then there was another spot, labelled Sirius Black. I saw him fighting with you, then dragging two of you into the Whomping Willow"

"One of us" Ron said, angry.

"No, Ron. Two" Lupin said, looking at Ron. "Do you think I could check your rat?"

"What?" Ron asked. "What does Scabbers have to do with this?"

"Everything" Lupin said. "Can I see him?"

Ron gave the rat to him after a moment of hesitation.

"What does it have to do with all this?" Ron asked again.

"That is no rat" Sirius said.

"Of course it is" Ron said.

"No, it is not. He's an Animagus. His name is Peter Pettigrew"

"You're both mad!"

"It's ridiculous" Hermione said, weakly.

"Pettigrew is dead. He killed him twelve years ago" Harry said.

"I wanted to, but little Peter got lucky. Not this time, tough" Black said. Then he moved to catch Scabbers.

Lupin managed to make him reason.

"To Harry you owe the truth, Sirius" he finally said.

"Very well then, Remus. But be quick. I want to do the murder I've been sentenced for"

After some time, Remus managed to calm the three teenagers, admitting he thought Peter was dead too, till he saw him on the Map.

"The Map can't lie, Harry. Peter is alive. Ron holds him in his hands"

Hermione spoke. "It can't be"

"Why not?"

"Because everyone would know he was one. He had to be registered"

Lupin chuckled. "Right again, Hermione. But the Ministry did not know there were three unregistered Animagus at Hogwarts"

"Be quick, Remus" Black told him.

After the telling of their youth, Snape exited from under the Invisibility cloak.

Harry, now curious to hear the rest, attacked him with his wand, as well as Hermione and Ron. The Professor was unconscious.

"We attacked a teacher…we attacked a teacher…" Hermione whined.

Ginny snorted. "Hermione, typical of you to worry about that in such a situation"

Hermione smiled. "You know how I am, Gin. I admit Snape deserved that though"

Harry smiled proudly at her and continued.

"Finally it came down to transform Scabbers back, and in front of the astonished faces of the students, it was like seeing a quick growth. From the small rat, a small man came out.

"Voldemort telling me tricks?" Black snickered.

Pettigrew stumbled back.

"What, you fear your old master's name? I don't blame you, Peter. His followers are not happy with you, and there are lots of them out of Azkaban. They think the spy ended spying on them. You said Voldemort where he could find the Potters, and there he fell…"

"I…don't know…what you're talking about…Remus, you can't believe this folly!"

"I admit I can't understand why an innocent man would pass twelve years as a rat"

"Innocent but frightened! Voldemort's supporters were searching for me because I sent one of their best to Azkaban, Black, the spy!"

"How dare you! Spy, me? I never went searching fro stronger people to be protected. You did that. It was me, Remus and James in school"

Pettigrew grew scared.

"Lily and James chose you as Secret Keeper because I suggested that. It was to be thought Voldemort would come for me, but who could guess you were the Keeper? It would have been the best moment of your life to be able telling him you could lead him to the Potters!"

Hermione interrupted.

"Why did he not attempt something on Harry till now? He's lived in his dorm for three years!"

"Right! Thanks! See Remus? I never tried hurting Harry! Why?" the man whined.

"Because you never do something if you don't have a reward for it" Sirius roared. "Why risk to kill someone under Dumbledore's nose in behalf of a wizard who had fallen? You wanted to be sure he was back before trying something. That's why you chose a Wizarding family. To hear about news on him"

"Hem…Mr. Black…Sirius?" Hermione said timidly.

He flinched, not used to be called Mr.

"How did you escape from Azkaban without dark magic?"

"Thanks!" Pettigrew said again. "That's the point! That's what I…"

Lupin glared at him, so he stopped.

"I don't know why. I guess knowing I was innocent was not an happy thought, so they could not take it from me, but it kept me sane. Then I transformed in a dog in my cell, but I was weak. They don't see, they only feel emotions. So they probably guessed I was going mad like the others, as animal emotions are simpler than human ones. But then, when I saw him on the paper, I knew I had to do something. So I escaped in my dog form, and swam to the country. From there, I kept living in the Forest, apart fro the match. You fly like your father, Harry"

Harry stared at him.

"Believe me, Harry"

And he did."

"So, this is how you decided to go and save him" Ginny said.

"Yeah. I could not leave my innocent Godfather to be stripped of his soul by the Dementors, could I?" Harry said, a bit sad thinking about Sirius. "Now it is your turn, Hermione"

"Oh, very well"

"Harry and Hermione, hid between the trees, saw Ron, and themselves going away from the pumpkins. They then saw the execution squad coming and hitting Hagrid's door.

"Where's the beast?" MacNair's cold voice said.

"Out-outside" Hagrid sobbed.

They could see MacNair's face from the window, looking at Buckbeak, then they heard Fudge.

"We've got to read you the execution act, Hagrid . I'll be swift. Then you and MacNair will have to sign it. MacNair, you've got to hear to, it's the rules"

So the man's face disappeared from the window.

It was now or never.

"Wait here for me" Harry said to Hermione. "I'm going"

Fudge started talking again, and Harry moved from behind the tree, entered the fence and moved toward Buckbeak.

"It has been decided by the Committee for the Executing of Dangerous Beasts that the execution of the Hippogriff Buckbeak, from now called the damned, will be done on June 6th at dusk…" the Minister read.

Careful to not look down, Harry bowed in front of the beast, locking his gaze with the orange, fierce one of Buckbeak, then bowed.

Buckbeak fell on its knees, then stood again. Harry started working on the rope tying the animal to the fence.

"…sentenced to death by beheading. The judgement will be executed by the executioner nominated by the Committee itself, Walden MacNair…"

"Come on, Buckbeak" Harry murmured. "Come on. We're trying to help you…slowly…slowly…"

"…in front of the witnesses. Hagrid, sign here…"

"Harry tried pulling on the rope with all his might, but the animal stood firm.

"Well, let's do this now" the member of the committee said. "Hagrid, maybe it would be better if you remained here…"

"No...I want to be with him…I don't want him to die alone…"

From inside the hut steps were heard.

"Buckbeak, come on!" Harry growled, pulling the rope. The animal started walking, agitated. There were still three meters to go to the forest, and they would be surely seen from the rear door.

"MacNair, wait a moment. You've got to sign here" Dumbledore said. The steps stopped.

Harry pulled again, and Buckbeak started walking quicker, clicking his beak.

They were now hear the forest…

"Hurry, hurry!" Hermione cried, coming to pull the rope too.

They managed to drag the animal in the forest, where they could not be seen.

"Stop now. they could hear us" Hermione suggested. Everyone stopped. Even the animal seemed to be listening.

In the end, they were not discovered, and Buckbeak was safe."

"Oh, nice one. I've always wondered how Buckbeak got saved" Ginny said.

"Yeah, we couldn't let him be killed when he was innocent" Hermione said, looking at Harry who nodded.

"Pity I was in the Hospital Wing with a broken leg, it seemed fun" Ron said.

"Sorry Ron, but I fear they would have found us out if you went with us" Harry teased him.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing Ron. Go ahead, it's your turn now" Harry said, sharing a smile with Hermione.

"Oh, ok. Small memory it is, but really pleasant"

" "I'll be here a bit more" Harry said to Wood. "Ron wants to try the Firebolt". And while the rest of the team went to the locker rooms, Ron jumped over a barrier and reached him on the pitch. Madam Hooch was sleeping.

"Here it is" Harry said, giving the Firebolt to Ron.

Ron, with an ecstatic look, mounted it and flew in the thickening darkness. Harry moved to the border of the pitch, waiting for his friend to come back"

"So that's why you were that cheerful next morning" Ginny said.

"Yes. That broom gives you a sense of speed, and it has such an handling…" Ron said, dreamily.

"Yes, Ron. We know you could stay hours talking about it" Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

"Plus, I recall Ronniekins having pleasant dreams involving my broom and a Quidditch pitch that night" Harry said.

Ron turned red. "Harry, mate, you swore you would never tell that!"

"Oops! I must have forgotten that!" Harry said, mischievously. Then he turned to Ginny.

"So, Gin, what's your memory for the year?"

"Oh, that was a plain year for me. Nothing really worthy to be remembered" she said.

"Well, I guess we should call it a night then" Hermione said, stretching in Ron's embrace.

Ginny got the look of plea her brother gave her.

"Harry, why don't we go catch a midnight snack before heading to bed?" she said.

Harry got the hint and followed her to the kitchen, where they got a glass of pumpkin juice and some chocolate pastries Molly had made.

Then, she accompanied him to his room. "I don't want to risk having to throw up my snack seeing my best friend and my brother snogging" she said, when he questioned why she was doing that.

He chuckled. Then, once in front of his room, he turned to say goodnight, and she kissed him hard.

He kissed her back fiercely, then after some moments he broke it.

He rested his forehead on hers.

"I'm sorry Gin. This is all wrong. We should be strong and keep to the pact we made" he whispered to her.

She nodded a bit sadly, then walked away.

Harry headed to bed, and soon dreams of a certain redhead filled his slumber.


-->