Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mage Knights by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mage Knights

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: All hail J.K. Rowling, the creator of this series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 17: The Rescue

Hermione shivered in the cold. She was no longer in the shackles and was relieved of the pain in her arms and shoulders. However, the thin rags that covered her body did little to block out the freezing cold as she lay on the stone floor in a corner of her cell. She hadn't seen anyone since the Death Eaters had released her from the shackles, given her the rags and placed the Cruciatus Curse on her again: it seemed like ages ago. She had no idea how long it had been since she was kidnapped, her sense of time long gone in the continuing darkness. She was hungry, only given a few bare scraps to eat though she had plenty of water.

And there were the dementors.

Dementors. Vile creatures of the dark and evil. Over two meters tall in dark, billowing cloaks, with rotting, corpse like hands and their faces hidden under their hoods. They glided around outside of her cell, sucking away all positive thoughts that came to her. They were the source of her despair and misery, and whenever they were around, all possible happy thoughts and senses of hope were sucked away from her.

Hermione thought of Harry often, and when she did so, she was filled with hopelessness. Harry was dead! She would never see him again, even if she got out of Azkaban. Tears would fall from her eyes as she whispered his name: "Harry..."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

One of the largest disadvantages Mage Knights had was that they could not apparate. When the Death Eaters had conquered the Kingdom of Gryffindor, they had managed to spread special wards throughout Magiterran that prevented apparation by anyone aside from themselves. As a result, the Mage Knights always had to physically travel to their destinations that were not connected by Floo Powder. Since Azkaban fortress was located on a rocky island, a few miles south of the Kingdom of Slytherin, the only way the Mage Knights could get there was by ship.

The trip from Beauxbatons to Azkaban took about a week and a half. Harry was very frustrated by the amount of time it took to get there, but it was their fastest available form of transportation. It was a very dangerous trip, since the Slytherin seas were often stormy and the shores around Azkaban were very rocky. Ron spent most of the time battling seasickness. After much time however, the Mage Knights had finally made it to their destination.

Harry, Ron, and Draco made their way up to the foreboding fortress. Azkaban was a large, old fortress built entirely out of dark stone. There were very few windows and the area seemed to be in perpetual darkness. The three of them were soon standing outside of the northern wall. The main entrance was on the south side, but that was the last place they wanted to enter from.

Harry and Ron examined the stone wall before them. "You have any idea how we can get inside?" asked Ron.

"Not a clue," replied Harry. "There could be some hidden entrance or something around here, but unless we take a closer look...."

"Reducto!"

Harry and Ron were horrified as Draco blasted a large hole into the wall.

"What are you doing?! Blowing our cover?!" demanded Ron.

Draco simply shrugged. "You wanted an entrance, I just made one." He strolled into the fortress and Harry and Ron grudgingly followed.

"Lumos." The Mage Knights' blades gave off a bright light that illuminated the darkness as they made their way through Azkaban. After searching for some time, the three Mage Knights entered a large chamber and stopped abruptly. In the chamber were Icicle, McNair, Crabbe, Goyle, Wormtail, Crouch II, and about a dozen dementors! The Death Eaters were completely shocked to see Harry, Ron, and Draco in Azkzban.

"Mage Knights?! In Azkaban?! How?!" shouted McNair.

"Harry!" shouted Ron. "Go! Find Hermione! Now!" He raised his sword. "We'll take care of this lot!"

"What?!" yelled Harry. "Are you crazy?! I'm not going to leave you alone to fight them!"

"Go, Dammit! Hermione needs help more than we do!"

Harry hesitated for a moment before he tore down a different corridor. "Follow him!" yelled Icicle. The dementors swarmed after Harry. 'Good,' thought Harry. 'That means Ron and Malfoy will only have to deal with the Death Eaters and not the dementors!'

After running down the corridor for some time, Harry suddenly turned around and faced the dementors. Thinking up a happy thought, namely the fact that he would see Hermione again soon, Harry raised his sword and bellowed "Expecto Patronum!"

A silver image of a stag leaped out of Harry's blade. 'My father had the ability to transform into a stag,' remembered Harry as the patronus charged at the dementors. Soon, the dementors were driven away by the stag and Harry was able to continue his search again.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Ron was having a hell of a time fighting off McNair, Crouch, and Wormtail. Sounds of metal hitting metal constantly rang throughout the chamber as Ron's sword made contact with McNair's battle axe and Crouch's two single edged swords. "You're a fool, Weasley," taunted Crouch as Ron worked to deflect the blades that were flying his way. "Did you really think you could defeat all of us just yourself?" Ron simply growled and fought more fiercely.

Draco, meanwhile, was having his own problems.

"Crucio!" Draco dodged the curse fired by Icicle. Before she had another chance to fire another curse, Draco leapt forward and swung his sword down. The blade connected with Icicle's staff.

"You're a traitor, Draco!" sneered Icicle. "You betrayed us and became a Mage Knight! Lucius was oh so disappointed in you!"

"Consider it, my greatest privilege!" snarled Draco. He shoved Icicle away and swung his sword at her again. The blade and staff once again connected. Draco placed a few well aimed kicks on Goyle and Crabbe so he could concentrate on Icicle. Icicle attempted to knock Draco off his feet with her staff, only to have her attacks blocked by Draco.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Harry checked a number of cells without luck. Finally he came up to a small, metal door in a secluded part of the fortress.

"Alohomora." The door unlocked and flew open. Harry stepped inside. There, lying in the corner, was Hermione. She was pale, dirty, and thin. She was dressed in thin rags, her hair was in knots, and her cheeks were tear stained. To Harry, however, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

Hermione's eyes went wide as she looked up at the doorway. "H...Harry? I...it can't be! Y...you're d...d...dead!"

"Hermione! I'm alive," said Harry with a smile on his face. "Snape's charm absorbed the killing curse." He kneeled right in front of her. Hermione apprehensively placed a hand on his cheek to confirm that she wasn't seeing things. As soon as she realized that it was indeed Harry in front of her, she threw her arms around him and sobbed on his shoulder.

"I...I thought that I would n...never see y...you again." she said between tears.

"So did I," said Harry as he hugged her back. He just sat there for a few moments, letting her cry on his shoulder. After her tears had subsided a little, Hermione pulled away.

"Harry, why did you say that you loved me?" she asked. Confusion was written all overĀ@her face.

Harry smiled at her. "I was being honest with you, just the way you were being honest when you told me that you loved me."

"Why?" asked Hermione. Her head was a jumble of confusion and tears started to build in her eyes again. "I'm a farm girl, you're a prince. Shouldn't it not be possible?"

"Well, someone should of told my dad that when he married my mum," said Harry with mock seriousness. He smiled at her bewilderment. "Hermione, my mother, Lily Evans, was muggle-born. She was a farm girl, just like you. And yet she married my dad, the heir to the throne of Gryffindor. That's why she was a champion of muggle and commoner rights, because she used to be one of them. Social standings never mattered to the Gryffindor Royal family, and they sure as heck don't matter to me!"

Hermione gave Harry a small smile as more tears streamed down her face. Harry leaned forward a little and their lips met. It was a simple kiss, but it still showed the strong passion and love that the two felt for each other. After a few minutes, they parted. Harry was grinning and Hermione had a shy smile on her face as tears of joy fell from her eyes.

"I love you, Hermione."

"I...I love you too, Harry."

"Come on. Let's get you out of here." Harry waved his left hand, and Hermione's rags transfigured into her usual blue and white travel robes and shoes. Unfortunately, she was too weak to walk so Harry put his hands under her knees and back and picked her up.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you, for saving me."

Harry beamed down at her. "It was my pleasure." He carried Hermione out of the cell. Unfortunately, there was someone waiting for them right outside. Harry stopped when he saw the man with a malevolent grin on his face. It was Tom Marvolo Riddle!