Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mage Knights by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mage Knights

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: Its all J.K. Rowling's stuff. I only own the plot and the setting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2: The Knight with the Lightning Bolt Scar

It was only a week later that Hermione's life changed forever. It was mid summer, and Hermione had ventured into the woods to look for mushrooms as she usually did on such days. She hadn't been to lucky however, and before she knew it, it was quite late. "I should really get back to the village before it gets too dark." she sighed.

However, she noticed that something was dreadfully wrong when she was still a quite a distance away from the edge of the woods; there was a reddish glow in the night sky, toward the general vicinity of the village. Fearing the worse, Hermione hurried toward the edge of the woods. When she finally got there, she gasped.

The village was under attack! Houses were on fire and Slytherin warriors were running all of the place along with dark creatures that appeared to be under their control! Orcs, trolls, veela, goblins, werewolves, manticores, and chimaeras were tearing down buildings and killing every living thing in sight that was not a Slytherin or a dark creature! Hermione stared in shock as she saw many people she knew personally being murdered right before her eyes! Then, before anyone saw her, she turned around and ran! Hermione ran as fast as her legs could carry her away from the massacre: away from the only life that she knew that had been taken from her in one attack.

Eventually, she grew exhausted and collapsed underneath an old oak tree. As she sat there, the reality of what she had just witnessed settled in, and she burst into tears. 'My family is dead,' she thought. 'My friends, my home, my whole life is gone. What more can possibly happen?' At this, she started crying even harder. It was only after her tears had subsided a little when she noticed a large shadow over her. Slowly, Hermione looked up into the face of one of the trolls from the village.

The troll was a horrible sight to look upon. It was twelve feet tall, had grey skin and was carrying a large wooden club. Hermione was to paralyzed with fear to even scream as the troll grabbed her by the waist and hoisted her up. "No....please...." was all she could say as more tears flowed down her cheeks. She anticipated the worse as the troll slowly started lumbering back towards the village, carrying the sobbing girl in its hand.

It was then that it happened. A pure white horse, with a knight on its back, jumped out in front of the troll, startling both the troll and Hermione. The knight was a most magnificent sight to behold. He was about Hermione's age and was quite tall and handsome. He was dressed in shiny silver armor with red and gold highlights that consisted of breastplate, waistguard, boots, shoulder coverings, and gauntlets. From beneath his shoulder coverings flowed a brilliant red cape and in his right hand he carried a silver sword with gleaming rubies adorning the handle. His head gear was more like a head band with a drawn up visor that was decorated with metallic bird's wings. Messy raven black hair stuck out all around his head gear, but the most striking aspect of the knight were his emerald green eyes and a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead.

"Put the girl down," he ordered in a clear, even tone.

At first, the troll simply stared at the knight. Then, without warning, the troll let out a huge roar and swung its club toward the knight! There was a sound of metal hitting wood as the knight blocked the club with his sword. He then sent his horse jumping behind the troll. The troll turned around and swung his club again, only to have it once again deflected by the sword. Angrily, the troll swung club down with the all the strength he could muster! This time, the knight had his horse jump out of the way as the club came crashing down.

All of a sudden, the knight pointed his sword at the troll and shouted "Expelliarmus!"

Hermione's eyes went wide as a red light shot out of the sword and hit the troll, sending its club flying out of its hand into a bush about ten feet away. The troll looked confused as the knight next shouted "Accio!"

Hermione screamed as she flew out of the troll's grasp and went flying through the air. A second afterwards, however, she found herself in the arms of the knight. The knight shouted "Stupefy!" causing the troll to fall unconscious. Hermione looked into the brilliant green eyes of her rescuer and promptly fainted.