Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Mage Knights by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Mage Knights

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I only own the plot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4: Days of Training

"Hey, wait up!"

Hermione turned around and so Sir Harry Potter running toward her. It was the day after she had accepted the offer to be trained for battle and she had just been wandering around the halls in a melancholy state, thinking about her family.

"Oh, hello." She offered him a weak smile.

"I just wanted to say that I admire you for the way that you are handling what's happened to you. I mean with your losses and all. And I also wanted to say that if you ever want to talk about it, I'm all ears. I mean, I know what its like to have no parents..."

"You do?"

Harry nodded. "My father and mother died when I was a year old. I spent ten miserable years after that living with my mother's sister's family. They were horrible to me; I think my aunt resented my mother or something. Anyway, it came as such a relief when I turned eleven and became a squire here at Hogwarts."

Hermione beamed and said, "Thank you Sir knight. I am thankful for your kindness..."

"Didn't I ask you to drop those formalities?" Harry smiled. "Anyway, good luck on your training. And if there's anything you need, just ask me or Ron."

Hermione thought for a moment and then grinned. "Does this place have a library?"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

During the following two months Hermione was trained in all forms of combat and magic. Being the naturally studious type, she excelled at magic as she was able to read up on how to perform tricky spells, charms, hexes, and curses. Within a span of weeks, Hermione's magical powers rivaled and sometimes surpassed those of the Mage Knights. Unfortunately, she was not as fortunate in physical combat. It turned out that she was very good in defending herself with a staff, but there was no hope for her when it came to swords, spears, bows and arrows, or any kind of weapon for that matter. However, it didn't really matter since her abilities with magic and the staff made up for all her shortcomings with other weapons. If there was one thing that she was absolutely horrible at however, that would have to be riding a horse. She learned this the hard way by falling off three times before finally giving up.

Hermione pursued a number of activities during her free time. As it turned out, Hogwarts had one of the largest libraries in Magiterran, she spent hours in there simply absorbing the information the books provided. Sometimes, on bright sunny days, Hermione would be reading on a rock by the edge of the forest that surrounded the castle when she would be approached by a unicorn. She absolutely adored the beautifully pure creatures and would feel a little honored whenever they came to her since they only approached virgin maidens. Hermione also spent time with Hagrid who was as kind and gentle as anyone could get. She learned not to trust his cooking however, when she nearly broke her teeth on one of his rock cakes.

Hermione also spent time with the Mage Knights. As she grew more comfortable around them, she eventually managed to drop the formalities that had been grounded into her since childhood. In no time at all, she grew to become extremely close friends with Harry and Ron. Ron had a sarcastic attitude and a short temper that could explode with the slightest offenses. After the awkwardness of formalities had been dropped, he discovered that Hermione had a streak of bossiness and was a bit of a know-it-all; in other words, their personalities were bound to conflict, and it wasn't uncommon to hear the two arguing in a friendly squabble. Although on the surface, they seemed to be arguing all the time, they were actually very fond of each other and enjoyed the other's company.

Harry was another matter all together. He was kind and compassionate and always looked at Hermione with concern and sympathy in his green eyes. Hermione always felt the most safe and secure whenever she was with Harry and Harry was happy to be around Hermione. If there was one Mage Knight that Hermione could've stayed with at all times, that knight would have had to have been Harry. Harry, for his part, formed a special friendship with her and allowed her into a part of his heart that previously he had only let Ron into. Whenever she looked into his green eyes, Hermione saw a boy that had grown up deprived of love and had seen much sorrow and pain during his life. Sometimes, it took her all the will power she had to keep herself from holding him in her arms and comforting him.

One day, two months after Hermione had come to Hogwarts, there was a meeting in the Great Hall. After the initial chatter had died down, Dumbledore spoke up.

"Many of us here know that for years, we have been searching for the three magical talismans that will aid us in the defeat of the Death Eaters. I am pleased to announce that the first of these three talismans, The Mirror of Erised, has been discovered in the Cave of Reflections within the borders of the Kingdom of Ravenclaw. Unfortunately, the Death Eaters have also discovered the whereabouts of the mirror. Therefore, I ask for volunteers to go and seek out the mirror and bring it back to Hogwarts before the Death Eaters find it."

Hermione, realizing that this could be her chance to prove herself, jumped up immediately. "I volunteer!" she shouted.

Dumbledore beamed. "I thought you might, Miss Granger."

"WHAT!" There was a sudden scream of outrage from across the Hall. Hermione saw that it had come from Sir Draco Malfoy. During the past two months, he had generally avoided her. "I protest! The peasant girl mustn't go on this quest! She's too weak! She will jeopardize the whole mission! She'll put us all at doom!"

Dumbledore spoke over all of Sir Draco's screams, "Sir Draco, I believe that Miss Granger is more than capable of going on this quest."

"I'm not comfortable about her going alone though," said Harry. "I also volunteer for this quest."

"As do I," said Ron.

Dumbledore beamed towards them. "Now that that has been taken care of, I wish you three good luck when you leave tomorrow. Meeting adjourned."

As the Mage Knights prepared to leave, Sir Draco walked up to Hermione. He spoke in a sinister hiss as he said, "I hope you're happy, Mudblood!"

Ron launched himself at Draco in fury but was held back by Harry whom looked ready to murder Draco himself. "Watch your language, Malfoy," he growled. Draco smirked and strolled away.

Hermione was confused. "'Mudblood'?"

"The most insulting word he could possibly use!" said Ron. "'Mudblood' is a term that some magical nobles use against commoners, or muggles as we call them, who have been trained in the arts of magic. They think that it should only be kept in the nobility. I mean most of us don't care: we believe that everybody has a right to be and pursue what they want. Its just, guys like Malfoy...well never mind."

"Just forget about it, OK?" said Harry. "We've got a long day tomorrow and I think we should all get some well deserved rest." With that, they all said their good byes and went to their respective rooms.

That night, as Hermione lay in bed that night, a great many things crossed her mind ranging from Sir Draco, the quest she was going on, and Harry. She sighed as she drifted off to sleep.