Unofficial Portkey Archive

Blood Lust by Gaya Hriive
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Blood Lust

Gaya Hriive

AN: Thanks so much for all the reviews guys! It really makes me happy to log in and see that I am getting such an awesome response to this! Here is Chapter six and I've already begun on Chapter 7 and I'll try and have it posted soon but I'm wrapping up school so the next 5 weeks are going to be very busy and stressful for me. But please R&R, I love it! Onward!

Hermione loved the night. She did miss the sun and the way that its light would reflect off of her natural surroundings but the night held many mysteries and an allure that she never grew tired of. Most times she loved the freedom the night gave her to delve into its mysteries and she reveled in the feelings of openness she often felt. But tonight the only thing she felt was the hunger roaring within her weakening body.

As was habit, she only fed every few days or so and feeding time was once more upon her. A small town rested beside the stream that she frequented and so it often offered to her a victim who, through her powerful charm and luring smile, would willingly present the red sustenance that her ailing body needed to survive. Hermione made her way carefully into town and decided to scout out the pub in the town square that was so ironically named "the Red Dragon." She always laughed at the sign because she referred to her blood-lusting hunger by the same name.

She opened the pub's door and was hit with a wave of raucous noise and a smell of alcohol so strong if it could have, it would have turned her stomach. She entered the pub cautiously, keeping an eye open for anyone she could steal away; someone who would not be noticed as missing. Her victims could not be just anyone. Oh no, they had to be nobodies, nothing more than another drunken face in a drunken pub.

Hermione took a table in the back and ordered a glass of wine even though it was only for effect. She sat for a while toying with the dirty glass and made a conscious effort to release her `scent', as Taunis had called it, into the tavern. It wasn't long before a young man stumbled his way to her table wearing a slightly cock eyed expression and an intoxicated grin. He was handsome, in a rough sort of way. His hair was long and a straw colored blonde and his eyes were a deep blue. Hermione appraised him carefully as he sat down clumsily, sloshing his beer all over the table.

"Now what is a lovely lady like yourself doing in a place like this?" he asked in a husky voice.

Hermione could smell the alcohol on his breath and it repulsed her, but she smiled none the less.

"Oh, I'm just looking for a friend." She said smoothly.

The man placed his elbows on the table and leaned in towards Hermione.

"Well maybe I can help you with that. I love making new friends. My name is Barthus. And you are?"

Hermione grinned seductively and leaned forward just a little.

"Hermione." She let her name roll off of her tongue sending with it an entrancing look that would ensure that Barthus' attention did not wander. Barthus breathed in deeply as though her name was an exotic perfume that he had never smelled before. Hermione took the opportunity and went quickly into his mind creating a sort of haze that would allow her to keep him in a trance like state. She leaned in a little more and dropped her voice to a barely audible whisper.

"Now Barthus, you have made a friend indeed. I would like you to please stand and escort me inconspicuously outside to the back alley of this pub."

Barthus stood and faced straight ahead as Hermione stood also and gently took the arm that he extended to her. They made their way nonchalantly out the rear entrance of the pub and stopped a few feet into the alley. Hermione turned and walked a few more feet to a shadowed corner where prying eyes could not watch her. Barthus followed and stopped right in front of her. Hermione put her hands on his shoulders and released her mental grip just enough so that he didn't look so confused.

"Barthus, I am sure that you are a…charming…man, but like you, I must eat. I am truly sorry for this."

She moved his neck to a tilt and sunk her elongated teeth gently into his flesh. His blood poured freely into her mouth and as she felt her strength growing, she also felt his lessening. It was only a matter of moments before Barthus' body hung limp in her powerful arms and she felt his heart slow to a stop. Hermione carried his flaccid body to the wall beside the door and placed it gently against the cold brick building.

"Goodnight sweet Barthus."

With renewed strength, Hermione tightened her cloak around her body and entered the dark street unnoticed.

~*~

The memo that Harry had hurriedly constructed and sent to Mad-Eye Moody was short and to the point.

Moody,

Go to my flat and pull any foreign magical element. Take it to the lab and run a trace. ASAP.

Potter

An hour later Moody stormed into Harry's office wearing a mixed expression of irritation and trepidation. He threw a thin file onto Harry's desk and plopped down into the seat next to Ron.

"Ran your trace Potter. I think what you'll see in that file will interest you."

Harry opened the dark brown folder and was instantly pleased with the information it contained. In the file was a wizard photo of a rather large mansion and a very old school photo of Hermione. Harry reckoned it was taken during her seventh year. She looked so young and happy. Coming back to reality, Harry laid the folder on his desk and addressed Moody.

"There's no address her. Were you able to get a pinpoint of the exact location of the house?"

Moody adjusted his heavy coat and leaned back in the chair.

"We're still working on that. We were able to locate the mansion itself when we ran the trace because Hermione's magical element had the strongest match in that location. But the place is unplottable so we are hacking into the concealment charm as we speak."

"Excellent. I appreciate the favor and on such short notice. You've been a huge help."

"Potter, I understand that there have been developments in Hermione's case but what do you plan to do?"

"That I haven't quite decided yet. This is a personal mission so I won't need a backup team but I have to go."

Moody appraised Harry for a moment and then spoke firmly.

"Potter, you're smart. Don't let this thing consume you or the worst will happen. You've never dealt with vampires before so take care. Regardless of anything else, Hermione is a vampire now and she's had a lot of time to hone her powers. Whether you agree or not, she is still dangerous and very deadly if crossed. If you anger her, I fear the consequences."

Harry absorbed Moody's words and tried to hold his anger back.

He doesn't understand. It doesn't matter if she's a vampire or not. Hermione won't hurt me.

Finishing his thought, Harry clasped his hands together on his desk and looked over his glasses at Moody and Ron.

"Right. I need to see Remus first and foremost. Where can I find him?"


-->