Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sleeping with the Enemy by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sleeping with the Enemy

Green Eggs and Ham

Wow- I love you guys! Thanks for the fabulous reviews!!

A lot of you wanted to know what happened with James and Marlene to make her hate him so much… can't tell you yet, but you'll find out soon…

Chapter 5: Sabotage

Lily felt awful. Her eyes were puffy, and she was terribly depressed, but she was also determined. Determined to get Potter back for what he had done. She was still lying on her bed with Marlene, but she was rid of the self-pitying attitude, and now what she wanted was revenge.

There was a knock at the door, and Marlene rose to see who it was. "Whoever it is, just tell them to go away!" Lily called after her.

With every intention of doing as her best friend had told her, Marlene opened the door, only to see James Potter.

"I'm sorry, but Miss Evans isn't taking visitors at this time," she said in her snottiest voice. She went to close the door, but he put his foot in it.

"Look, I really need to talk to Lily."

"Well, she doesn't really need to talk to you. So bye-bye, then."

"No, this is important. I wanted to tell her that it was wrong for me to take it this far, and I'm sorry. She seemed really upset about that stupid prank, and I never wanted to hurt her like that."

Marlene frowned. "Well that's just lovely. I'll let her know you stopped by."

"Wait, there's more!" he shouted as she tried once again to close the door.

"Marlene!" Lily called from inside. "Tell whoever it is to just leave! I'm not in the mood!"

Her voice was trembling, and James could tell that she had been crying. He took a step forward, but Marlene pushed him away.

"I don't think so Potter," she said, stepping out of the room and closing the door behind her.

"Look, I've been thinking, and I realized that that date with Lily was the best date I've ever been on, and I've liked her for so long, and it really did seem like she didn't mean to pull that prank-like it wasn't her-and she's been trying to explain for so long that…well, I should give her a chance, right?"

Marlene stood there, looking at him for a while before she spoke. "You know, I think you're right. She hasn't pranked you for a while, so she must care about you, right?"

James smiled.

"Of course, you really should know for sure before you go spilling your guts to her… After all, I'm sure you don't want to get hurt again."

James looked puzzled. "Ok… but how can I know how she feels about me?"

"Well, that's a tough one," Marlene said, smiling slightly. "But I know what you can do. You played a pretty mean joke on Lily today. So there's two things she could do about it. If she does nothing, then you'll know for sure that she cares about you. But if she pranks you back, you'll know that this is all just a game to her, and she doesn't like you at all." Marlene smiled. "You just have to wait it out."

"Well, I suppose that makes sense…" James said slowly.

"Trust me, I know Lily," Marlene said kindly. "I really do hope this all works out for you."

James smiled. "Thanks so much-you're the greatest!"

For the first time in weeks, he was truly happy. It was finally going to work out.

*

"That took a long time," Lily said as Marlene walked back into the room. "Who was it?"

"Just Potter," Marlene said, smiling gently.

"What did he want?" Lily asked slowly.

"He was here to tease you. He's such an asshole."

Lily's eyes filled with tears. "I suppose so."

"You don't seem very sure…"

"Well, I just don't know…"

"Look, I think you should know… he was out there saying he never liked you," Marlene said delicately.

"But Sirius told me-"

"Oh yes, and Sirius was there, too," Marlene interrupted quickly. "He said that everything he told you was a lie, and you were an idiot to believe him."

Lily stared at the floor, the tears coming quicker now. "But…that can't be…"

"Look, sweetie… I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think you need to know the truth," Marlene said quietly, putting her arm around her friend. "The best thing to do would be to go ahead with the plan. Prank him. He deserves it."

Hope you all liked it… Sorry it's so short, but I just needed one more little evil part before it starts to get good…

Review!


-->