Unofficial Portkey Archive

Something's Gotta Give by MeiQueen
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Something's Gotta Give

MeiQueen

-

Something's Gotta Give Mei Queen

-

Authoress' Note: This chapter is set to the theme of Howie Day's "Collide". In this chapter, we've moved forward a few months in the relationship of RavishingRed and SecretDragon, and this is the latest news in their lives. This chapter also strays from the typical backstory on all Ginny to a bit more about Draco and how he came to be online in the first place, etc. Hope you enjoy!

-

Disclaimer: Duh. Not mine. Howie Day owns "Collide". The Serendipity café was an allusion to one of the movies that I love, Serendipity. The "bringing a flower on the date" bit belongs to "Must Love Dogs", and every cheesy guy since the dawn of time.

-

Chapter 3: Collide

-

I'm quiet, you know
You make a first impression
I find I'm scared to know
I'm always on your mind
Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills your mind
You finally find 
You and I collide
-

Draco Malfoy heaved a sigh, allowing his fingers to get tangled up in his messy hair. He was glad he didn't gel it to his head, like he had back in his school days. It looked much better messy, he noticed. Women used to love running their hands through it. At least they had back when he had dated. Now, however, the closest Draco got to a romantic candlelit dinner was when he would light the candle himself and take bites with his left hand, right hand responding online. He couldn't remember when he had gotten involved in the chatroom craze; it felt like ages ago, it was such a huge part of his routine now.

The fact that a Malfoy was regularly using a Muggle appliance was, in itself, quite astonishing. Draco, however, had long ago realised that his family's ways were not always the right ones. When he had inherited a large fortune upon the wizarding mature age of seventeen, he had decided to invest in many fledgling companies. He took pride in putting the money in the spots he thought needed it and in slowly growing the company as a whole. He had saved many businesses doomed for certain failure this way. Draco supposed he probably had chosen his current career path because of the many lives Malfoys had ruined over the years…perhaps that small drop of humanity that set the youngest Malfoy apart from his ancestors forced him to want to give something back. Anyway, Draco's career path required a lot of technical aptitude. He always wanted the latest statistics on his many investments, and the quickest way to do that, bizarrely enough, was through the Muggle Internet. The concept had taken some getting used to, but Draco had grudgingly gone out and bought himself a laptop computer. Now he couldn't imagine life without the compact whirring machine.

He had first stumbled across the site when his last flame had left him. Her name was Natasha, and for all intensive purposes, she was completely vile. Her hobbies included shopping, scorning food, and spending as much of Draco's money as she possibly could. Not a bad witch for a Malfoy, Draco had to admit. Most of the women in his line were all similar to Natasha, and as Natasha was pureblooded, she had fit right in when she visited over the Christmas holidays. Draco remembered it well. He remembered Apparating home early that evening, and Natasha had barely noticed… she was so engrossed in debating the latest wizarding fashion with his mother, Narcissa Malfoy. It was then that he came to one of the biggest revelations of his life: he didn't want a woman that fit in with his family. Draco was different. Draco wanted someone that would challenge him, and not by spending his fortune. He wanted a spunky companion that would keep him in line, maybe a girl that respected him without knowing his last name. That would be a nice change. So after he had split with Natasha, he had heard about the dating site from one of the owners of his companies. Apparently, that owner, Justin Finch-Fletchley, had actually met his current wife on it, and they had been together going on three years. Draco Malfoy had never been one to really think he needed help finding a companion, but he realised almost immediately that the anonymity of online dating promised him a companion that wasn't intimidated of him, and someone well suited to who he really was.

Draco had been on the site for about a month before he met someone that really caught his fancy. Even her screen name intrigued him. RavishingRed. A redhead. The youngest Malfoy had always wondered if he would end up with a redhead. Their fiery personalities seemed probably the only thing that would be able to keep a sulky personality like Draco's in line. Draco now talked to RavishingRed on a nearly daily basis, often for three hours at a time. What did they talk about? Really, the better question was what they didn't talk about. He and RavishingRed shared every detail of their daily and past lives, except the obvious bit: who they were. When Draco had first met her in the chat, he had been on Justin Finch-Fletchley's computer, at Justin's business. Since it was a business computer, all sorts of anti-virus programs had been loaded, completely obscuring RavishingRed's photo.

Since then, the Malfoy had always respected the anonymity of their relationship. If he didn't have a picture up, why should he know who she was? It seemed unfair. So Draco had resisted the tremendous temptation to click "Who is She" on her screen name, the button that would take him to his companion's profile. He settled with talking with her frequently and often dropping hints about meeting her. And now, about three months into their daily chats, he was positive that his request would not go unanswered.

-

***SecretDragon has entered WonderfulWitchChat1 at 20:02 hours***

SecretDragon, there are 14 members in this chatroom. Members of this chatroom are currently: BlondesdoitBetter, BrightonsBest, ColdplayFanatic, DrivemeWild, DyingtoDance, JigsawJunkie, JimlikeshisPimms, LovintheLadies, Modelizer, RavishingRed, Serendipity, SlavetoStarbucks, SwanseaSweetie, WestHamRocksSocks

SwanseaSweetie- I don't understand what in the name of Merlin we're arguing about.

WestHamRocksSocks- this ridiculous notion of the Ministry…the house-elf rights bit.

DyingtoDance- well, they ARE magical creatures. Don't they deserve rights?

JigsawJunkie- it's not like we're saying they don't, DyingtoDance. It's just that most house-elves don't even WANT rights. They like their work. Besides, the Ministry isn't really pushing it, just that chairwoman in the Department of Magical Creatures.

DrivemeWild- oh yeah…what's her name, again? She was behind that big werewolf thing last year, wasn't she?

JimlikeshisPimms- the mad one?

RavishingRed- Hermione Granger, she's actually one of my good mates, Jim. And she's NOT mad…just mildly nutters.

-

Draco smiled. That was something about RavishingRed that he really appreciated. She seemed to have her priorities in order, and would do just about anything for her friends, including standing up for them in a full chatroom that was ridiculing them. I'll bet she was a Gryffindor, Draco found himself thinking with a smile. I don't know why that doesn't disgust me, really. Maybe it's just that I've worked with some many Gryffindors in the past few years, helping to start up their businesses. I respect their courage; their willingness to take great leaps of faith has made them some of the most successful businesses I've ever encountered. Besides, it would probably take a fearless woman to put up with me all the time.

Draco opened a private chat window to begin the night's conversation with a certain temperamental redhead.

-

)) PM to Ravishing Red (20:10 hours)((

SecretDragon- Good evening.

RavishingRed- hey, how's it going?

SecretDragon- Dull. I've had a bit too much business jargon stuffed into my head today

RavishingRed- not another string of meetings, I hope?

SecretDragon- Sadly, yes. I had meetings with eight of my companies today. Do you have any idea how dull it is to hear the stock statistics of eight companies, back to back? I was actually nodding off at one point. Very embarrassing.

RavishingRed- Have you not been getting enough sleep?

SecretDragon- lol, not since we started talking

RavishingRed- Well, fine. Maybe I just won't talk to you ever again!

SecretDragon- oh, come on, you know you're the best thing that's happened to me in ages. I love talking to you, even if it means that I crawl into bed after midnight.

RavishingRed-::smiles::

SecretDragon- So, Red, how long have we been talking? It feels like forever.

RavishingRed- I know what you mean. It feels like you know me better than my family sometimes. I think it's been about…three months?

SecretDragon- Wow. Long time.

RavishingRed- Yep.

SecretDragon- We should do something crazy in celebration of this momentous occasion.

RavishingRed- What did you have in mind? And don't make it anything that my landlord can evict me for, please =D

-

Draco tapped his finger against his chin. Did he dare suggest it again? How would she react? It would be fabulous if she said yes, but if no, Draco had to wonder if she would ever concede to the idea. It can't hurt to try, he thought to himself grimly, lowering his fingers to type the question that he was terrified to ask.

-

SecretDragon- Well, we could always do something really wacky, and…meet.

-

Ginny Weasley, up until that moment, had had a relatively dull afternoon, just how she liked them. She had enjoyed a pedicure at a local small salon, gotten to over the halfway mark in her novel (a major accomplishment for Ginny, novels were always slow going for her), played with the puppy she had adopted a few days ago, one she had amusingly named "Dragon". SecretDragon had been very touched she had named her dog after him, though he said that it would inevitably lead to species confusion for the poor canine later in life. Yes, Ginny Weasley had had a lovely day. But then… this. Why did he have to want to meet her? Part of the redhead was very excited at the prospect of a real romantic involvement with the man she had come to trust, but another part was completely terrified. Ginny had always thought of online dating as a fun outlet, nothing more. She was never going to be one of the mothers that were forced to tell their child that his or her parents had met online, of all places. It just was simply not a possibility.

But did the same rules really apply to SecretDragon? Ginny found that she wasn't so sure, because she really did enjoy talking with him. After all, nobody knew her better, it seemed. They already acted like old friends, even a couple in a long-time relationship, during their long late-night chats. Ginny could only imagine how much better those chats would be if they had happened in person. How much more intense would their talks be if she could run her hands through his hair while they murmured the events of their days? How much more fantastic would the relationship be if he could give her a neck rub at the end of a long day, rather than a few words of consolation?

Ginny, for better or for worse, had come to a decision.

-

RavishingRed- I must be mad. But…okay. That would be nice.

SecretDragon- Are you serious?

RavishingRed- Yeah.

SecretDragon- This is fantastic, Red! It will be amazing to meet you in person! I've dreamed about this forever! Aren't you excited?

RavishingRed- Nervous as all hell, but yes, I'm excited.

SecretDragon- What could you possibly have to be nervous about? We've talked about everything there is to talk about. I know that your favourite team is the Wimbourne Wasps, even though your family supports the Cannons. (Which, btw, I couldn't agree with you more on. The Cannons are simply a lost cause.) I know that you think you look fantastic in white, even though you're too modest to brag about it. I know your favourite colour, flower, holiday, your birthday and political stance…

RavishingRed- I get the picture.

SecretDragon- But don't you see? The physical part should be nothing in comparison to the "getting to know you" marathon we've had over the past few months…this should be the easy and, dare I say it, FUN part.

RavishingRed- Okay, maybe you're right. It will be pretty cool, huh?

SecretDragon- More than cool, Red. Fantastic. When do you want to meet?

-

Ginny Weasley smiled, cradling her head in her chin. This meeting with SecretDragon had been a long time coming, that she had to admit. She had always wondered what it would be like to talk to him in person, to be able to be affectionate like all the rest of the couples out there. Though her initial reaction to his proposal was a nervous one, Ginny was growing slightly more accustomed to the idea of meeting her online friend in public. The fact that they knew so much about one another was a large comfort…at least Ginny knew she wasn't going to suffer through a torturously long date with no conversation, like that disastrous one with Neville Longbottom she had grudgingly agreed to while Harry was collecting the Horcruxes back in her sixth year. No, she thought decisively, SecretDragon and I are too close to have a bad first date. There's simply no way that this can turn out badly. We know each other too well. I think I might even…love him? Can I love someone I've never met? Like, truly love them, not just the idea of them? Hmm…well, regardless, Hermione and Luna will be thrilled that their dating service actually produced some results. This is the first date offer I've agreed to in the three months I've been on this site, and that's not for the lack of trying on the parts of quite a few persistent males on here, she thought with a smile. Finally coming to an answer to SecretDragon's question, she smiled, putting her fingertips on the correct keys.

-

RavishingRed- I'm free in the afternoons Tuesday and Thursday next week if you wanted to meet for coffee or something.

SecretDragon- Sounds perfect, I know a great little coffee shop by my town, it's called Serendipity. Ever been there?

RavishingRed- Oh yeah, they have really yummy lattes! =D. It's about fifteen minutes from here, so that's perfect. What time?

SecretDragon- 3 PM okay?

RavishingRed- Sounds perfect. How will I recognise you?

SecretDragon- I suppose I do have an advantage in that department, don't I, what with your hair and all… Tell you what; I'll bring a flower, one of your favourite.

RavishingRed- lol, what if you forget which one that is?

SecretDragon- I'm a man, and real men never forget those sorts of important things =D. Anyway, we should get to bed, but I'll talk to you soon, and I can't wait to meet you next week!

RavishingRed- Ditto! Good night!

-

Draco Malfoy could not believe that this was actually happening. He felt delirious, he was so happy. He had been dreaming about meeting Red in person so long that he was beginning to get nervous. Reality was starting to set in. What if the real thing didn't measure up to his fantasies? What then? He didn't even know what she looked like, what if she had a third arm? Not that that was likely and not that Draco was the shallow type, of course… Well, actually, he had been rather shallow in the past, but this was Red. This was the woman that had remembered his birthday and sent him an e-mail birthday card right at midnight, just so she could be the first to send good wishes. This was the woman he relied on, trusted, believed in, supported, and did all those mushy things with that his former schoolboy self would have scorned. This was Red, the woman who had turned him into a bona fide romantic…this was the woman he loved.

There was no way she could be anything different than he expected…right?

-

You finally find

You and I collide

-

Authoress' Note: Please review and let me know what you thought!